8.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. SSZ
    Mar 6, 2020
    This game is fantastic, the story is great, the music is incredible and I loved the gameplay.
  2. Mar 6, 2020
    Great remake that vastly improves over the original game while staying so very close to its roots. Looks very good, but nothing mind blowing. Taking one of, because it might come of as repetitive, and if you don't like the style of game play, the game wont try to change your mind.
  3. Mar 6, 2020
    Pros
    -Good Nostalgia trip, just as fun as the old game
    -Great art work and graphic
    -All the hand holding options that people are complaining about aren't forced down your throat like other Pokemon games, they are optional.

Cons
    -60 dollar game, its worth it, but that's still a steep price for some.
  4. Mar 6, 2020
    A wonderful remake of the original with a new and wonderful artstyle! A more heartwarming story than the mainline Pokemon games, with some heart tugging tunes.
    Now Watch Imagine babies 2 get a higher score.
  5. qtc
    Mar 6, 2020
    Some good changes without going overboard. Looks and sounds great, and whether or not you like the gameplay depends greatly on the person. In my opinion, it's a fun and light dungeon crawler that kids will definitely enjoy.
  6. Mar 6, 2020
    A visually breathtaking remake of a cherished and well-received game. While far from the mainstream Pokemon games, like many of the less mainstream Pokemon games, Pokemon mystery dungeon dx has a unique and thrilling game-play that makes it standout and catch your attention. Playing the game for even a short period of time will show any player the love and care that was put into thisA visually breathtaking remake of a cherished and well-received game. While far from the mainstream Pokemon games, like many of the less mainstream Pokemon games, Pokemon mystery dungeon dx has a unique and thrilling game-play that makes it standout and catch your attention. Playing the game for even a short period of time will show any player the love and care that was put into this remake, and be returned to your childhood days. New functionality was implemented into the game to speed-up some of the more trivial, or repetitive components of the game; truly enhancing the game-play experience. Expand
  7. Mar 6, 2020
    If you are a fan of the series, you'll enjoy and then some. If you're new, check it out, there is a reason this series has a cult following.
  8. Mar 6, 2020
    I really love this game it brings back memories and I hope they will remake explorers of darkness, sky or time
  9. Mar 8, 2020
    AMAZING game you should ignore the metascore and the most "TRUSTED" reviewers like IGN you should play the game for your self because I not going to spoil anything about the game so it's experienced best for yourself.
  10. Mar 7, 2020
    A truly great remake!
    An amazing new art style!
    Many gameplay improvements!
    And a well remastered soundtrack, with extra songs from the other games thrown in there for the fans!
  11. Mar 10, 2020
    In a few words: It's good, surely a bit better than the original, but none of the problems the Mystery Dungeon franchise have have been fixed. It is still repetitive (they even created an auto-run button, so they're aware of the repetitivity of their own game), the game is still quite easy (managed to beat the whole game only loosing once in a dungeon)...
    And yet... It all feels really
    And yet... It all feels really nice: the graphics are splendid, the OST is still as good as ever, the story is still compelling and touching with a lot of whacky moments.

In the end, it's still a 2005 game with new graphics put on a newer console. Is it good? Yup. Is it worth 60 euros? Well, highly questionnable: if you like the original, you'll get (as I did) a huge breath of nostalgia but if you're new to the genre, I think there's way better.
  12. Mar 6, 2020
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX is by far my favourite game on the Nintendo Switch. I never played the original games, however I can’t help but feel charmer by the gorgeous musics and beautiful art. Some may find this game slow and repetitive, but that’s the point. This isn’t an action packed thriller like Mario Kart or Breath of the Wild, this is a soothing journey with good company andPokémon Mystery Dungeon DX is by far my favourite game on the Nintendo Switch. I never played the original games, however I can’t help but feel charmer by the gorgeous musics and beautiful art. Some may find this game slow and repetitive, but that’s the point. This isn’t an action packed thriller like Mario Kart or Breath of the Wild, this is a soothing journey with good company and addictive grinding mechanics.

Is it for everyone? No. Does that make it any less perfect? Not at all. This game has my unwavering support and I will gladly play for many more hundreds of hours.
  13. Mar 6, 2020
    This game is a wonderful remake. The old perfect story with better graphics and music.
  14. Mar 6, 2020
    It’s the classic that started the series, minus all the problems of an unrefined game.

I’ve seen a ton of complaints about how it doesn’t match up with the original. It’s a remake, not a port. Of course there are differences. The only actual complaints I have are that a handful of the models and animations look weird, and I wish there was a toggle between the old map style and the

The only actual complaints I have are that a handful of the models and animations look weird, and I wish there was a toggle between the old map style and the current. Neither of these are a big deal. The other common complaints either have a workaround (deselect all moves and you effectively have your basic attack back albeit nerfed to have recoil) or are debatably an improvement (streamlined friend areas).

Aside from that, it’s the same game I enjoyed except the gameplay is actually good for people who like the genre, it looks and sounds better, and all of the frustrations of the originals have been removed.
  15. Mar 6, 2020
    Captures the charm of the original PMD story while implementing many of the lessons learned throughout the franchise's history. A great improvement over past additions to the franchise. However, if the genre isn't for you, this game won't change that. For anyone interested, this is hands down the best place to jump in and explore everything Mystery Dungeons have to offer.
  16. Mar 6, 2020
    Faithful remake of a brilliant game. Love the new art style, though I do miss the old friend areas.
  17. Mar 10, 2020
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX is a delightful trek back into a game that I vividly remember putting many hours into. I loved the original and this remaster breathes fresh life and vitality into the game. The ONLY reason I cant give it a 10/10 is due to shinys (which are already a low rate of appearance) not being auto-recruits. I have found 3 shiny mons in my many dungeon replaysPokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX is a delightful trek back into a game that I vividly remember putting many hours into. I loved the original and this remaster breathes fresh life and vitality into the game. The ONLY reason I cant give it a 10/10 is due to shinys (which are already a low rate of appearance) not being auto-recruits. I have found 3 shiny mons in my many dungeon replays and have yet to recruit even one successfully. It is fun grinding through hoards to try and recruit a mon you have been trying for, but when it comes to shinys in a game like this it would be nice to set them up on your team automatically upon beating them.
    Otherwise the game is great, and I still have so much more to do!
  18. Mar 7, 2020
    Pokemon mystery dungeon is a well made game with a solid story and a wonderful artstyle. The story is well made, and the soundtrack feels very new and barely ever repetitive. Character development exists in this game and it hardly feels like the game was intended for kids only. The gameplay feels gritty at first but smooth once you get the hang of it. The dungeon crawler genre isn’t forPokemon mystery dungeon is a well made game with a solid story and a wonderful artstyle. The story is well made, and the soundtrack feels very new and barely ever repetitive. Character development exists in this game and it hardly feels like the game was intended for kids only. The gameplay feels gritty at first but smooth once you get the hang of it. The dungeon crawler genre isn’t for everyone, but the addition of pokemon and fun music can allows one to play for extensive periods. The game feels very well made, and is a solid 9/10 for me. Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2020
    All of the shortcomings of the original game were fixed in this, there's now an auto-mode for traveling dungeons which is paramount to any roguelike game and mechanics from future MD games which bring it more in-line with the main series Pokemon games are present here, such as 1 ability per Pokemon and the speed stat.

You have a bigger possible party of recruited in-dungeon Pokemon, but

You have a bigger possible party of recruited in-dungeon Pokemon, but the difficulty curve hasn't gone down at all and you'll find yourself getting wiped in dungeons, it's a good level of a difficulty especially since there's no default attack anymore and now you must use a Pokemon move (and thus use PP).

There's strategy in your lineup, with the rare abilities you share across your team, and with the tactics you give to other Pokemon, there's so many quality of life fixes such as accessing your moves from LR, A using the most effective attack(not always the best move, but good for dealing with the common rabble), accessing your toolbox with B, and the ability to swap leader with a simple press of the + button taking effect immediately, at any time in a dungeon.

If you've never gotten into Pokemon Mystery Dungeon before, let this be your start into the world, and if you have gotten into it and wanted more, well, again, I recommend this to all fans of the series and even people who just like casual roguelites as it has enough substance to stand on its own as a game even if you're not into Pokemon all that much.

My only complaint, which isn't even a real good one is that the Pokemon only go up to Gen 3, just like the original, with like one cherry-picked Gen 4 Pokemon and any evolution which occurred later, but we have moves from Gen 7 and Mega-Evolutions, there's still over 400 Pokemon to befriend and catch, which in a single game is the most out of any Pokemon title, even the main series, but I would've loved to see Shinx from Gen 4, or any Gen 5-8 Pokemon be included... It's definitely not a complaint that knocks a point off of this great game though.
  20. Apr 8, 2020
    A really good remake of a really good game. Perfect for playing during your mandated zoom meetings if that;s what you're looking for as the auto mode means most of the time u can just spam A and get away with playing. Otherwise it's still a great game for casual play. New features improve on the past game and I highly recommend it for something to just do in the background.
  21. Mar 25, 2020
    And as usual every good Mystery Dungeon game has low critics review score. Maybe people who dislike dungeon crawler games to begin with shouldn't be given dungeon crawler games for reviews.
    I played all games in the MD series and would say this game is a solid entry.
    The artstyle is great, the music matches the games, the bosses got awesome entries. I would prefer a higher difficulty
    I played all games in the MD series and would say this game is a solid entry.
    I would prefer a higher difficulty mode (it's mostly a question if you have the right items with you now) and a lower recruitment chance for the legendaries again (most legendaries have 100% now which felt previously more rewarding).
    It's kinda sad that you can't visit the pokemon in their respective areas anymore too.
    The postgame is solid (since most Pokemon games don't even have a postgame anymore I'm really really glad about this one) and overall the game feels polished.
  22. Mar 17, 2020
    Mantiene la esencia del original en una remasterización prácticamente 1:1. Su banda sonora está mejorada, las mazmorras siguen siendo igual de divertidas y se ha mejorado el reclutamiento de Pokémon.
    Las zonas de recreo ya no existen como tal para poder visitarlas, pero se mantienen como pantallas previas donde se guardan los Pokémon de forma similar a las cajas.
    La dificultad es muy
    La dificultad es muy similar, siendo más complejo en el postgame.
    Muy recomendado para los fans de Mundo Misterioso y el universo Pokémon
  23. Mar 6, 2020
    A truly great remake!
    An amazing new art style!
    Many gameplay improvements!

A solid improvement!
  24. Mar 13, 2020
    A very solid game, equally acessible to newcomers and returning veterans alike. PMDRTDX is indeed a return to form and to earlier times by re-embracing the coloring-book/crayon inspired artstyle. Musically, the soundtrack is superb, blending old chiptunes in with reimgained versions of old classics. Storywise little has changed, but this is for the better.
    The gameplay having changed
    The gameplay having changed little from the previous iteration might turn off some, but the consistency and relative simplicity of the game makes it easy to pick up and play. The main storyline is 16-20 hours long but the post-game is rather long and fulfilling for not just completionists but also for those who wish to see a few rather important plot points better tied up.
    Overall, the game is a great buy.
  25. Mar 8, 2020
    The amount of improvements specially the Quality of Life ones really make this feel like the ultimate mystery dungeon experience, it really is a delight to see the series come this far, only fault would be some remixes sound a tad odd, but that’s just nitpicking
  26. Mar 9, 2020
    This game is very charming and full of life. The story, gameplay, and characters are all amazing.
  27. Mar 9, 2020
    Okami art style PogChamp
    Also it's a Mystery Dungeons game: Why are critics expecting everything released on the Switch to be Breath of the Wild lmao
  28. Mar 17, 2020
    Playing the Original was such a fun game and getting back into the series was something that makes me really excited! The Story is still as great as ever, the gameplay still has that fun hardworking run of traveling through dungeons to complete missions or reach the end, collect items & level up or to find Pokemon to befriend and join your team. Although the addition of a auto mode iPlaying the Original was such a fun game and getting back into the series was something that makes me really excited! The Story is still as great as ever, the gameplay still has that fun hardworking run of traveling through dungeons to complete missions or reach the end, collect items & level up or to find Pokemon to befriend and join your team. Although the addition of a auto mode i thought wasn’t needed since it made traveling through dungeons to get items and stairs too easy. However the best thing i enjoyed about this remake was the style of the game’s graphic! The Canvas Paint style of the world and the Pokémon are just beautiful, while i do love the original style of the animated sprite style in a pixelated world, this definitely has made the game really much more great to just watch and play! Expand
  29. Mar 7, 2020
    Este juego es una preciosura, definitivamente es un tremendo regalazo para los fans de pokemon y en especial de la saga Mystery Dungeon, no entiendo porque el hate de la prensa ya que es un remake muy bien hecho, pero bueno ganas de joder siempre hay, repito es excelente para los fans ya que si nunca has jugado Pokemon MD y estas acostumbrado a juegos AAA super realistas entonces no te vaEste juego es una preciosura, definitivamente es un tremendo regalazo para los fans de pokemon y en especial de la saga Mystery Dungeon, no entiendo porque el hate de la prensa ya que es un remake muy bien hecho, pero bueno ganas de joder siempre hay, repito es excelente para los fans ya que si nunca has jugado Pokemon MD y estas acostumbrado a juegos AAA super realistas entonces no te va a gustar este juego. Saludos. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2020
    If you're new to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, the premise is that you, a human, become a pokemon and befriend a pokemon partner while trying to rescue other pokemon that are trapped in mysterious, randomly generated dungeons, often with an excellent soundtrack to serve as your background. Item management, positioning, and move management are important in these games, like they areIf you're new to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, the premise is that you, a human, become a pokemon and befriend a pokemon partner while trying to rescue other pokemon that are trapped in mysterious, randomly generated dungeons, often with an excellent soundtrack to serve as your background. Item management, positioning, and move management are important in these games, like they are in most dungeon crawlers.

If you've played a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game before, this perfects the formula!

Gameplay:
    Combat balance has been changed significantly from older Mystery Dungeon games, with every starter learn-set, either natural or via TM, containing both ranged and melee options. Generally, ranged options are safer but deal less damage, while melee options have additional secondary effects and higher base damage. Previously overpowered moves like Smokescreen are no longer game-breaking, and it seems like the only moves that are useless are non-damaging, stat-lowering moves when used on non-bosses. Almost every item is actually useful, rather than a core 10-20 being objectively better than everything else, so you have more strategies open to you based on what items you want to bring with.

Poison is much more intimidating because, rather than being slow and removing your natural healing, it just does a huge burst of damage every so often that usually out-paces your healing unless you have very high HP. Burns are the same but weaker (and still halve attack). Paralysis lasts much longer, so it's actually a dangerous status problem instead of a mild inconvenience. While you can only bring up to 3 pokemon into a dungeon, your party maximum is either 7 or 8, and CAN follow you into boss battles to level the playing field. While having a team of 7 might be excessive, having 4 or 5 can make boss encounters interesting logic puzzles of who to push where and when.

While previous games had IQ and Emeras, this game makes enemy and ally pokemon smart by default, and instead offers "Rare Qualities" either coming with a pokemon as they join your team, or being gained through consumption of... you guessed it, gummies. You don't lose these Rare Qualities, and they essentially offer the team-building of IQ, without the temporary nature of Emeras or ridiculous grind that IQ mechanics had. "Grinding for stats" is also pretty much nonexistent, as you have access to a very fast method of leveling and empowering your moves right from town on your 4th or 5th day, so as long as you cover everyone's weaknesses and build a good team, you should be fine.

Speaking of team building, you can now recruit pokemon in almost any dungeon, even during the majority of story dungeons. Essentially a pokemon always has a chance of wanting to join your team, and if they do, they will either permanently join your team if you accept and have their friend area, or they'll give you money as thanks for taking them on the adventure. If you don't have the friend area already, have no fear! Money is very prevalent in the game, able to be gained in large quantities without any farming, so simply bring a Wigglytuff Orb so that if you encounter one of your favorite pokemon, you can immediately buy their friend area before continuing the dungeon. Most prices of items are more expensive, but you can frequently get high-sell items that don't fit your play-style as a reward from rescues, so I personally recommend you sell any you don't think you'll need. You can organize friend areas by cheapest to most expensive, and just buying any that are less than 1000 as a baseline covers the majority of pokemon in most dungeons.

Story & Aesthetics:
    The main story is largely the same, but is augmented by a watercolor art style, 3d world, smoother transitions between areas, and endearing animations. Areas in this game are beautiful to look at, and even the dungeons themselves are varied aesthetically, so they don't feel repetitive. Pokemon on your team have little chat bubbles as they use or are hit by moves & items, and it breathes a little bit of extra life into the dungeon crawl. The background music has been beautifully re-scored from both the original 2005 game and from others like Super Mystery Dungeon and Gates to Infinity, with a few original tracks peppered here and there to add a bit of ambience to key moments in the story.

Story: 10/10 (probably a 7 or 8/10 without nostalgia)
    Art: 10/10
    Music: 10/10
    Gameplay: 10/10 (If you like dungeon crawlers and pokemon mechanics)
  31. Mar 7, 2020
    Is a perfect reaching of the old recepie I love it and I hope that other mystery dungeon games come out
  32. Mar 7, 2020
    A faithful remake that does wonders to outdated mechanics. Phenomenal. I can’t put my Switch down.
  33. Mar 7, 2020
    Better than mainline games in many respects Detailed natural character interactions immersing you after every mission Long challenging dungeons with rare Pokemon Heartfelt story full of twists Great art and soundtrack One of my fav Pokemon games
  34. Mar 9, 2020
    As far as remakes of an old GBA/DS game can go, this game ticks all the boxes. By combining the nostalgia of the original games with the QoL adjustments of Super and Gates to Infinity, this is easily the best Mystery Dungeon title since the Pokémon Explorers games.
  35. Mar 9, 2020
    This remake is entertaining, the music is very relaxing and the story is simple but still enjoyable.

The gameplay is good and it is a lot of fun to complete dungeons!
  36. Mar 9, 2020
    By far the best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Game since the start of the 3DS-era in my opinion. They've almost done everything right with this Remake of a really good old GBA/DS game and nailed to give back the old feelings I've had with the original game.
  37. Mar 10, 2020
    Amazing art style meets the immersive world and grand story telling from the original. Wonderful title, created an account to give it more recognition.
  38. Mar 10, 2020
    Great remake of one of my favorites. Only negative is they replaced friend area Biomes with a boring list. They could've kept the list (for ease of use) and added the option to visit the friend area as it was quite a charming part of the game. Otherwise lots of QoL improvements and a little extra conent on top of an already great game.
  39. Mar 16, 2020
    For a Pokémon game, the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games tend to have much more rich story, and this remake is no exception. Not only that, but an excellent soundtrack and numerous quality of life improvements have made this a pretty solid entry in the series, in my opinion.

That said, this game can be an exercise in patience. The game play will be fairly easy at first (perhaps too easy?), and it, in fact, is a bit easier than the original Red Rescue Team/Blue Rescue Team. However, it really ramps up as you near the end of the game. The post-credits game play, as always, is the real test of your skills.

Note that this plays almost nothing like the main series Pokémon games by Game Freak, so don't go into this game expecting it to play anything like that. Of course, that's part of the reason why I like this series so much.
  40. Apr 1, 2020
    amazing. beautiful. plenty of content worth HOURS of game play. go add every Pokemon to your team. go catch every legendary and shiny available. bring your team to MAX rank. clear EVERY dungeon. chances are you still haven't done all of this. Plenty of content very addicting super fun.
  41. Apr 8, 2020
    The game is perfectly fine as a remake with alot of content and replayability I feel people only hate on the game because they added quality of life features that make the game slightly easier etc or that they expected it to be a Pokemon game and were disappointed it wasn't the usual type because they didn't do any research
  42. Feb 19, 2021
    I loved Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on the DS and this game is very loyal to the original. The textures that that they used to animate the Pokémon are adorable. I haven't played many roguelike games but with Pokémon always put a smile on my face. Also some of the final dungeons to complete the game with every legendary are very hard and challenging! And i also love the fact that megaI loved Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on the DS and this game is very loyal to the original. The textures that that they used to animate the Pokémon are adorable. I haven't played many roguelike games but with Pokémon always put a smile on my face. Also some of the final dungeons to complete the game with every legendary are very hard and challenging! And i also love the fact that mega evolutions were introduce. Expand
  43. Mar 9, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. a good game for an older time despite being a new sequel game
    compares very well to the ds pokemon mystery dungeons

pros
    good mechanics
    good controls
    good writing
    good plot
    good story
    great gameplay

cons
    game can be laggy
  44. Mar 6, 2020
    If you are not aware when a MD game has a low critic review score it means the game is great, it's been like that for over a decade. Like Explorers of Sky which is the peak of the franchise and storytelling in any Nintendo video game ever this game has terrible review scores, why is that? Well unfortunately it seems these type of games are usually reviewed by people with the attention spanIf you are not aware when a MD game has a low critic review score it means the game is great, it's been like that for over a decade. Like Explorers of Sky which is the peak of the franchise and storytelling in any Nintendo video game ever this game has terrible review scores, why is that? Well unfortunately it seems these type of games are usually reviewed by people with the attention span of a goldfish and will start shaking as soon as they need to read or use more brain cells than usual. Most of them don't review the game as a dungeon crawler either which is the whole point of the game, the IGN review is the prime example, they complain about dungeons in a dungeon crawler it almost sounds like a parody. Expand
  45. Mar 6, 2020
    A visually stunning remake of a classic roguelike. If you're looking for a Pokémon experience on the Switch - this is the one. Upon first glance, the core gameplay loop may seem simple, or even repetitive. However, PMD games have a certain magic to them in that it becomes too easy to fall into their charm once you're a few hours in. Notably, this revision of one of the mostA visually stunning remake of a classic roguelike. If you're looking for a Pokémon experience on the Switch - this is the one. Upon first glance, the core gameplay loop may seem simple, or even repetitive. However, PMD games have a certain magic to them in that it becomes too easy to fall into their charm once you're a few hours in. Notably, this revision of one of the most mechanically-sound games in the series makes many minor attunements to the dungeon-crawling experience, all of which only improve the experience while retaining the base simplicity and peaks of fair challenge it's known for.
    Even when considering all of the new tricks that over a decade's worth of modernization has granted the games, the gameplay manages to be the most fun, deep and balanced in series history. It's honestly really impressive how well Rescue Team translated to the Switch in an age of divisive remakes and reboots.
    This is further complemented by the game's beautifully remastered soundtrack. Every track here is back, and sounding better than ever. Even the few infamously grating themes from the originals are rejuvenated by crisp new arrangements, freed from the shackles of GBA MIDI soundfonts. The day I can listen to Tiny Woods without going into cardiac arrest is a good one.
    While I'm not the biggest advocate for any PMD game's revered plot (Besides Sky), I must acknowledge that this will do you far better than any main Pokémon game since Black and White. While the narrative starts simple, it slowly begins to escalate before taking some wild turns that'll leave you smiling. In particular, I must note that this game handles world scope far better than any other game in the franchise - even Super Mystery Dungeon, which was largely focused on mapping and exploration. Elevated by the beautifully rendered art style, Rescue Team's epic setpieces take on a new life that'll truly leave you feeling the atmosphere.

This is the best Pokémon game in years. While I was a critic of the original game in many areas, I must say that this remake has patched up all its faults. If you're a fan of Pokémon, or strong dungeon crawlers in general, I implore you to pick this one up. The main 'campaign' may only run the average player 15 hours at most, but I've hardly scratched the surface of the post-game content that made up the overwhelming bulk of the original package - and according to the internet, it's all still there. I assure you, this game is worth your money today.
  46. Mar 6, 2020
    Perfectly executed art style, with the nostalgic gameplay dans if the series know and love! While it may be hard to pull in new fans if the series, there is no doubt that this game is a gift for every Mystery a Dungeon fan out there. With a story that makes you bond with your partner and care about others around you, we can all hope this is a new beginning for yhe series as a whole, andPerfectly executed art style, with the nostalgic gameplay dans if the series know and love! While it may be hard to pull in new fans if the series, there is no doubt that this game is a gift for every Mystery a Dungeon fan out there. With a story that makes you bond with your partner and care about others around you, we can all hope this is a new beginning for yhe series as a whole, and that Explorers of Sky gets the same treatment. Expand
  47. Mar 6, 2020
    Just to get this out of the way, The critic reviews on this game are poorly thought out and they only see the game from a non gamer perspective. They say there is too much repetition and it ends up being boring when this is a dungeon crawler/ RPG like game. It is intended for you to spend hours into the game to try to learn new skills and when you 100% this game you will feel a lot ofJust to get this out of the way, The critic reviews on this game are poorly thought out and they only see the game from a non gamer perspective. They say there is too much repetition and it ends up being boring when this is a dungeon crawler/ RPG like game. It is intended for you to spend hours into the game to try to learn new skills and when you 100% this game you will feel a lot of satisfaction and happiness from beating a really good game. this is the only mystery dungeon game for pokemon that you can play on the big screen and the OG way (portable mode) the HD graphics for the TV bring the pokemon to a whole other dimension. The gameplay is very fun for people that like pokemon and people who like the sense of cave systems with random monsters (pokemon) attacking you at times while you have to be prepared with your items and levels. Also if your the type of person that runs out of battery while grinding, its ok! the switch has a feature where if you run out of power the game will continue as soon as you charge system. This game has a ton of hours to keep you intrigued for at least 120 max hours of play (this is assuming you want to 100%) It is a great game to pickup for Pokémon fans and Dungeon Crawler fans! Pick it up ASAP for a good time! Expand
  48. Mar 6, 2020
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX is not a flawless experience. The gameplay can be a bit repetitive, but is fairly solid outside of RNG the game make you deal with! The game is also noticeably easier compared to the other games, but that might be a good thing for some. I recommend trying the Demo before buying, and if you like the game enough to buy it, the same file in the demo will carry over.Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX is not a flawless experience. The gameplay can be a bit repetitive, but is fairly solid outside of RNG the game make you deal with! The game is also noticeably easier compared to the other games, but that might be a good thing for some. I recommend trying the Demo before buying, and if you like the game enough to buy it, the same file in the demo will carry over. Otherwise Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is a fun experience that proved a good story and fun gameplay! Expand
  49. Mar 9, 2020
    Pros:
    Pros:
    1. THE ART: A lot more attention has been paid to the animation and detail than in the mainline games. For example, metapod and caterpie will inch along the ground, bird Pokemon will actually flap their wings (and different Pokemon will do so in different ways to highlight their personality) and each of the items all have its own unique, gorgeous artwork. The scenery looks really good and the cinematic scenes bring the original game to life.
    2. THE QOL: A huge number of quality of life improvements and cutscenes that were missing have been added to this game over the original. You no longer have to enter into every single friend area and add them to your team every single time you enter a new dungeon like in the originals - that's done from the menus. The player quiz no longer requires you to reset multiple times in order to pick a pokemon. There is streamlined inventory management before you enter the dungeon. The UI is very pleasing on the eyes and it's also very functional, reminding you of the keys that you need to press if you need to achieve the result. The Dojo clarifies many tactics that were confusing in the previous games, such as pushing pokemon if you need it and tips may pop up throughout the game making it helpful for newcomers wtihout overloading the game with a lengthy tutorial.
    3. THE STORY: Mystery Dungeon games have the best story out of every Pokemon game and DX is no exception. You experience the highs and lows with your partner. You will not see every plot twist coming and it can even make you tear up in parts.
    4. THE GAMEPLAY: The gameplay is very enjoyable and offers a great challenge. It starts out easy and then ramps it up significantly during the middle of the game. If you don't tactically use the minimap to pay attention to what enemies are coming in, you can get 90% of your health bar taken off in one enemy attack so using items and preparing specific moves for crowd control can be a must. If you run into a pack of Ledyba without preparing for them, you can get your entire party confused and wipe. Sometimes it's necessary to plan out moves turn by turn or to tackle harder dungeons later when you are better equipped. Planning out what is necessary to take can also help you deal with challenges. The game also offers a huge postgame story, so expect many challenges to be had once the postgame hits!
    5. THE SOUNDTRACK: Is wonderful to listen to.

The clarifications:
    The 'A' button will not select the move that does the most damage and nor will it conserve PP so to avoid wiping you will often need to select the move manually. It's only useful for grinding low level dungeons for items. Similarly, the 'L' button will auto and kill you in seconds if you run manage to run yourself into a pack of enemies, especially those with area of effect moves or which do a lot of damage. It's only useful for grinding and cannot be used to actually attack anyone. Additionally, there is no way to save scum the game as it will autosave so you may lose all your items and money if you use the auto feature and do not get rescued.

Cons:
    1. The speech bubbles that characters make can be quite annoying and the game seems to offer no way to turn these off
    2. The gameplay can be repetitive if you do not enjoy roguelikes where the levels are procedurally generated. Be sure to check the gameplay demo first to confirm if you enjoy it - however be aware that the main game can be a lot harder than the demo.
  50. Mar 8, 2020
    This should be the beginning of a new era of new PMD games. And of course 10000000 better than sword and shield
  51. Mar 6, 2020
    For anyone wondering. No it is not gamefreak releasing the game. You can stop review bombing it. Also, the game looks amazing, the ost is awesome, and the gameplay is great. 100 out of 10 would reccomend
  52. Mar 7, 2020
    - - PROS - -
    Art style
    Story OST Unique gameplay Pokemon fanservice QoL changes - - CONS - - Resolution is capped at 720p (?) when in dock mode - no problems in handheld Some people find these games repetitive some find them addicting A handful of newer pokemon would've been welcome - - (FOR VETERANS) What has changed - - - The combat system is pretty much the same that
    - - PROS - -
    Pokemon fanservice
    QoL changes

- - CONS - -
    Resolution is capped at 720p (?) when in dock mode - no problems in handheld
    Some people find these games repetitive some find them addicting
    A handful of newer pokemon would've been welcome

- - (FOR VETERANS) What has changed - -

- The combat system is pretty much the same that you can find in Super MD: normal attacks are removed, moves get better in power, accuracy and PP the more you use them, easy move selection with ZL + A/B/X/Y, customizable menu shortcuts as well with the ZR button, now changing leader is available right from the start which leaves room for fancy gameplay when combined with different Tactics.
    - Although there are little additions to the roster of species, this game includes moves from up to 7th gen. Also, long range ones like flamethrower or bubble can no longer hit your party members.
    - IQ skills and gummis removed - now each Pokemon has one "rare quality" that can be obtained via special gummis (that also boost stats randomly): rainbow gummis and DX gummis, the latter will always give you one while the former may not. These rare qualities benefit the whole party, not just the user.
    - You can recruit any Pokemon that you defeat, but they will leave after finishing the dungeon unless you have their respective Rescue Camp, formerly known as Friend Areas (they give you a bit of money tho).
    - You can enter a dungeon with only 3 members, but up to 5 more pokemon can join your party until you have to send someone home. These 5 extra pokemon cannot be used as leaders, nor can have their tactics and moves changed.
    - Rescue Camps are now all available from the start... for a reasonable price that ranges from 500-1000 for the initial camps to 3000-9000 for the late-game camps (same price as in the originals).
    - The Makuhita Dojo has been completely renewed. Now it's basically a tool for polishing your moves.
    - New items, like wands and new orbs.
    - You can see the enemies and items on the map now? For some reason? You can't see the stairs however.

- - Conclussion - -

Very happy with this game. Feels fresh and addicting as ever and apparently the story remains untouched, which is a good thing.

Veterans, this remake is a must. Support this entry and maybe one day Explorers will also get a remake.

Newcomers: If you're a Pokémon fan, Mystery Dungeon's unique gameplay and genuinely touching story are likely to make it your favourite series from the franchise, but if you are not sure I recommend playing the demo. It might feel like a cakewalk, but, honestly, it's just the tip of the iceberg.
  53. Mar 6, 2020
    It's like the original Rescue Team, except the gameplay is actually good, so that's nice.

The gameplay is somewhat of an acquired taste, so I wouldn't pick up the game if you don't like the style, but if you do then it's a really great game. It's been streamlined a little more with the Auto mode and the auto move choice with A, but you can still select your own moves with ZL + a face button, and you can't just auto your way through the entire game.

I won't go into too much detail about the story since it's the best part of any PMD, but I will say that it's still great, and the partner got a little extra characterisation from the original, so that's nice.

Visually, the environments in the game all look fantastic, with the hand-drawn aesthetic looking really nice. The animations on some of the Pokemon during gameplay look a bit stilted, but the cutscenes are top notch. Absol has better animation than the mascot legends in SwSh. Just putting that out there.

And the music is absolutely fantastic, as you'd expect from a Nintendo game. The remasters from the original are all beautifully done, combining some of the original chiptune with actual instrument samples, and it sounds beautiful.

Basically, if you like the series, absolutely get it. If you like Pokemon, or you like dungeon crawlers, then you should get it as well. But it's not a must-buy for anyone with a Switch.
  54. Mar 6, 2020
    This game oozes charm, the music is incredible and there is lots of content. It is the best Pokemon game on switch.
  55. Mar 6, 2020
    Fantastic remake to an absolute classic. Multiple quality of life changes mixed with a fantastic musical score, stellar water color visuals, satisfying yet grindy game-play loop, and one of the best stories that the Pokemon franchise has to offer make this the definitive way to experience Blue Rescue Team.
  56. Mar 6, 2020
    As always, this entry to the Mystery Dungeon series is oozing with charm. While not quite as story-driven as the other Mystery Dungeon games, this one is a glorious remake to a glorious pair of modern classics. A human player is somehow turned into a Pokémon, an animal-like classification that fits all of the fictional characters of the series and they need to figure out how to get back toAs always, this entry to the Mystery Dungeon series is oozing with charm. While not quite as story-driven as the other Mystery Dungeon games, this one is a glorious remake to a glorious pair of modern classics. A human player is somehow turned into a Pokémon, an animal-like classification that fits all of the fictional characters of the series and they need to figure out how to get back to their original form. It takes the form of a turn-based Role-Playing Game, with the twist if the characters moving around across a large board with various items, enemies and traps. The story is comedic, but it does get emotional at times and I've cried numerous times at the rest of the series. I expect this one to be the same upon completion! A winderful buy for those than can accept games that aren't action-packed, and Pokémon fans tend to be just that sort. Expand
  57. Mar 8, 2020
    I was a fan then, I’m a fan now. This game lives up to my expectations and I promise that’s not the nostalgia talking. This game proves that there’s still a future for the Mystery Dungeon series and it could definitely expand and grow further than just the original mechanics. They really said that WE are the Monster House now! Game is still as charming as ever and I know all of my youngerI was a fan then, I’m a fan now. This game lives up to my expectations and I promise that’s not the nostalgia talking. This game proves that there’s still a future for the Mystery Dungeon series and it could definitely expand and grow further than just the original mechanics. They really said that WE are the Monster House now! Game is still as charming as ever and I know all of my younger cousins are going to enjoy it (after I finish it). I never understood the comment about “we still have to pay full price,” like yeah it’s still a game on a new platform with new art and resources used? If the people working on this aren’t getting paid half, why would we? It’s worth every dollar. Expand
  58. Mar 8, 2020
    The revitalization of the previously overlooked, now revered Rescue Team games improves and builds upon many of the original game mechanics whilst keeping its unique charm with a new, beautiful, dynamic art style and the same excellent storytelling which leaves me hooked for hours on end.
  59. Mar 13, 2020
    From the mix of new gameplay elements and returning features from Super and Explorers to the amount of effort they gave to the game's cutscenes, generated dungeons, balance in-between using moves and items, guiding newcomers of the franchise with the revamped Dojo and the arrangement of the soundtrack from noisycroak's composer Keisuke Ito, the same person who has contributed in SuperFrom the mix of new gameplay elements and returning features from Super and Explorers to the amount of effort they gave to the game's cutscenes, generated dungeons, balance in-between using moves and items, guiding newcomers of the franchise with the revamped Dojo and the arrangement of the soundtrack from noisycroak's composer Keisuke Ito, the same person who has contributed in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, AI: The Somnium Files and within the series itself since Explorers, Rescue Team DX is on par with the remake of the first Shiren the Wanderer—released fourteen years ago in Japan on Nintendo DS—as they did the same amount of effort for fixing old issues, updating the gameplay and visuals for newcomers and adding new content such as new post-story contents that were cut from the Super Famicom version.

Although Rescue Team DX suffers some small issues like softlocks on its first week, upcoming updates will fix them as soon as possible. Overall, any Mystery Dungeon fans should give it a try. If this game has a great success, it will give a new hope for the fans of the series on receiving more remakes in the future.
  60. Mar 6, 2020
    I still don't understand why this game is getting so much hate. The game itself is a bit pricey but it does make up for it with it's great story, soundtrack and game play.
  61. Mar 6, 2020
    I found the game a lot of fun! I highly recommend it, I don't understand the negative scores for this game.
  62. Mar 6, 2020
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is Maybe the Most Hated Videogame Franchise By Occidental Reviewers, Because there's No Reason for Sites like IGN or Gamexplain to Put THE WRONG PEOPLE in order to Review a Dungeon Crawler game...

This Game By Far Have Better Animations and visuals than the Infamous Pokémon Sword & Shield, and a Story and single player campaing than literally Suprass the Pokémon Core Games...

The Fact About Repetitivity, is ridiculous to Use this as Excuse to Punish Mystery Dungeon, When the Main Pokémon Games do this repetitivity even Worse, and reviews praises the main line repetitivity...

I Really Gives the High Score, Because the Franchise Mystery Dungeon Deserves it, and IT's TIME TO STOP THE WRONG REVIEWS MADE BY THE WRONG PEOPLE Against this Franchise and Remake...
  63. Aug 6, 2020
    I never played the original one (part of it due to the multiple versions of the same game), so... Still really hate how they changed the stuff from the other games like moves that had little effect against a type now have no effect like in the core games an' basic attacks being gone altogether (which is stupid).

The story is pretty bland compared to the other games, but I guess it's

The story is pretty bland compared to the other games, but I guess it's forgivable since it was the first game in this series.
  64. Mar 7, 2020
    Un gran juego ya que es un remake de un juego maravilloso. Un estilo visual precioso, tiene unos añadidos como el paseo automático, que tus compañeros recojan los objetos y otros tantos más hacen el juego más disfrutable. Y algo que agradezco de verdad es que los objetos y enemigos aparezcan en el mapa. Lo único malo es que si tienes un compañero con ataques a distancia va a atacar a losUn gran juego ya que es un remake de un juego maravilloso. Un estilo visual precioso, tiene unos añadidos como el paseo automático, que tus compañeros recojan los objetos y otros tantos más hacen el juego más disfrutable. Y algo que agradezco de verdad es que los objetos y enemigos aparezcan en el mapa. Lo único malo es que si tienes un compañero con ataques a distancia va a atacar a los enemigos y a ti no te deja hacer nada. Pero también puedes decirle que no use esos movimientos así que en general estoy contento con este remake y esperando que saquen el de exploradores del cielo Expand
  65. Mar 7, 2020
    I played the Originals as a Kid loved them! But i cant give the DX Game 10 Because there are some things that are not good and can be Better.

-Autoplay is Useless this is not a Mobile Game i think in the Makuhita Dojo only it makes sense because of time to save. -One of the Best Things in the Old Games was that you can visit your Other Pokemon Friends in their Homes and now its only a

-One of the Best Things in the Old Games was that you can visit your Other Pokemon Friends in their Homes and now its only a Menu thats really Dissapointing.
  66. Mar 6, 2020
    10/10 story. The story is incredible. And most of the revisions are welcome ones but there is a lot of “quality of life improvements” that hurt the game more than help it. One in particular. WHO THOUGHT SHOWING THE ITEMS AND ENEMIES ON THE MINIMAP IN A DUNGEON CRAWLER WAS A GOOD IDEA!?!?! Seriously it almost ruins the gameplay. Almost. This is still a good game but honestly I think the 1510/10 story. The story is incredible. And most of the revisions are welcome ones but there is a lot of “quality of life improvements” that hurt the game more than help it. One in particular. WHO THOUGHT SHOWING THE ITEMS AND ENEMIES ON THE MINIMAP IN A DUNGEON CRAWLER WAS A GOOD IDEA!?!?! Seriously it almost ruins the gameplay. Almost. This is still a good game but honestly I think the 15 year old original Red Recuse is more enjoyable, and that’s not acceptable. But it’s still the same Mystery Dungeon story and gameplay we all know and love for the most part and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn’t played the originals. There are some new features I really like, like the rare qualities and the extra difficult Pokémon that show up with a warning maker. Red and Blue Recuse deserve a way better remake, but I’m still happy to play it. Expand
  67. Mar 6, 2020
    Lets get one thing out of the way that is surely on a lot of peoples minds.
    This is a Pokemon game. So it´s basically a must-have Switch game, right?
    Wrong. This game appeals to a very niche audience. It´s a Dungeon Crawler that is to easy in difficulty to appeal to most fans of the genre (excluding the endgame), and not a Pokemon game in the sense that you cannot 'catch' Pokemon at
    Lets get one thing out of the way that is surely on a lot of peoples minds.
    This is a Pokemon game. So it´s basically a must-have Switch game, right?
    Wrong.
    This game appeals to a very niche audience. It´s a Dungeon Crawler that is to easy in difficulty to appeal to most fans of the genre (excluding the endgame), and not a Pokemon game in the sense that you cannot 'catch' Pokemon at your leisure. Whether or not a Pokemon decides to join your team is entirely random.
    So if it doesn´t appeal to either of those groups, who does this appeal to?
    Frankly, I don´t know. I play this game for the sake of nostalgia. It just feels good and kinda magical to play this game for me. As do all Pokemon games, which is a large part of the appeal for many people. While that is certainly good for me, I do not know what kind of people would be interrested in such a game, other than diehard Pokemon fans. And those allready picked up the game anyways, so no point talking about it. Luckily for all of us, there´s a free demo on the eShop that you can give a spin to see for yourself what the game is like.
    So, that out of the way, how does the remake hold up? What would make you pick up this instead of the GBA/DS original?
    The graphics. Heavily updated and quite beautifull.
    The gameplay. Basically untouched except for adding Lucario and Mega-Evolutions. Which is both a blessing and a curse. You will find small inconveniences at many places, which are a byproduct of outdated game-design. The only thing that was updated is the battle system, but not necessarily in a good way. The fact that your attacks get upgraded if you use them often enough seems fine at first, but then they also made it so that your teams attacks sometimes just fire twice, for no particular reason. Your enemies do not have this ability, or anything to make up for this disadvantage. All of this makes the game even easier than the original, removing basically any challenge from the game so long as you know what items to pack before you enter a dungeon.
    Why they chose to do this is beyond me. The difficulty was not an issue in the original, yet they chose to 'fix' this instead of acutally annoying quirks the original had.
    Oh yeah, and then there´s the engine. To summarize it in a word: Yikes!
    What went wrong here? Having half a second of input delay on every single button-press and even more in docked mode is just embarassing, and it feels miserable in comparison to the older games! This needs to be patched! Yesterday!
    Edit: Actually, they did fox this. But only in docked mode. The handheld experience still has terrible input-lag, which is why I didn´t realize they fixed anything until I got home.
    Still, that does not excuse handheld mode performing terrible in this regard.
    So... Is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX worth your money? Is it a bad game after all?
    Not really, but it´s not a masterpiece either. The story is what holds this game together, but it seems to be entirely unchanged from the original. If you still have a GBA, DS Lite or 3DS laying around, you might just as well buy the original for less than half the price.
    And if you only have a Switch? Keep your eyes out for a discount. I allready saw it 20% off online. If it ever hits 30$ instead of 60, I´d say definitly go for it. And until then...
    You decide.
  68. Mar 7, 2020
    No me ha gustado nada. Más de lo mismo. A vender cuánto antes. Me reservo el dinero para otros juegos
  69. Aug 30, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Big fan of the mystery dungeon series and have been playing it since GBA days! This game however is hard to play, reason being is that the frames for whatever reason are extremely delayed and there is noticible lag when opening tour inventory, which I thought could be my television but was not when I brought in a much faster monitor (same issues). The graphics could of also been better, as I feel as though it was a similar issue that Pokémon Sword/Shield has with lazy graphical design game looks like it’s a 3ds game ported over to the switch). It also has some annoying aspects such as the the lack of evolution until endgame. I feel as though the game has lost its charm by trying to go onto the switch without an effort of innovation. I would avoid this and wait until Pokémon company starts to acknowledge that they’re fan base is noticing all the shortcuts. Expand
  70. Mar 7, 2020
    I was very happy about the game.
    I was very happy about the game.
    The game play is really inconsistent. On the one hand you have the typical Dungeon Crawler including Rogue Like (if you die you lose your inventory + money), but then you have so many support features like the automatic running through the dungeons, the automatic execution of the strongest attack against the opponent and the team size of up to 8 Pokemon, so every opponent is easy to defeat.
    That would still be okay, but the game runs so slow (input lag, general lags, ...) on the console in handheld mode, that's not cool.
  71. Mar 7, 2020
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is simply a game worth your time, but probably not worth the price.

Most of the game is fun, the artstyle is bold and the music is solid. The actual dungeons are maddening and repetitive, massive parties are chaos and the biggest problem is the balance. Getting half your 8 mon squad wiped for 2 earthquakes, or one shotted by multi hit moves like fury swipes is by far the most frustrating part of the game. Not only this but the actual length of dungeons mix with no proper rest areas makes late game areas extremely boring, especially when said rest areas are 3/4 into the dungeon, when I'm on my last legs in terms of supplies.

The story is passable, it's quite bare-bones without any real villain or deep subplots, practically as linear as it gets. Do dungeon, watch cutscene, rinse and repeat. Ontop of constantly managing inventory, it can be a little annoying.

New features like auto battle are welcome but I see no point when it just ends once in range of an enemy I can disintegrate in one attack, rendering it borderline obsolete.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and progression for the most part, after Xatu(no spoilers), the story dies until you finish that arc.

The beginning is amazing, the middle is very average but very much just back to back dungeon exploring and the end is heavily unbalanced and difficult.

It's above average in my eyes, as the characters like Wobuffet are perfect comic relief, has great music and art, and have moderate pacing. It falls short if you hate grinding for sure.
  72. Mar 16, 2020
    This game, while I’m glad ones of my favorite games got a remake, it doesn’t feel good too play and is very clunky, with a price tag I think is pretty unacceptable for a spin off Pokémon game, I think Let’s Go is so far the best Pokémon Game on the switch that’s not a port of a Wii U game, all of the Pokémon games have never been worthy of a 50-60 dollar price tag, but the one thingThis game, while I’m glad ones of my favorite games got a remake, it doesn’t feel good too play and is very clunky, with a price tag I think is pretty unacceptable for a spin off Pokémon game, I think Let’s Go is so far the best Pokémon Game on the switch that’s not a port of a Wii U game, all of the Pokémon games have never been worthy of a 50-60 dollar price tag, but the one thing compared too the other switch games of Pokémon , this one is good plot/story wise, I wouldn’t recommend this game as it feels very incomplete too play and is often frustrating, not fun like most of the Mystery dungeon games on handhelds Expand
  73. Mar 19, 2020
    Es el mismo juego que en 14 años no han metido nada relevante nuevo, muchas mecánicas cambiadas que algunas "mejoran" otras empeoran estrepitosamente, es muy fácil pero te pone en muchas más situaciones injustas que el original.
  74. Mar 28, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's sad to say that all my excitement for this games was seemingly met with distaste...
    Though the game focuses on the nostalgia of the original game, the reasons why the original game stuck with me so much are not fully present in this one, causing the remake to to the original an injustice in my opinion. An example of this would be friend areas. They no longer have explore-able friend areas as before where the Pokemon you recruited are free to move around as are you. Instead, you have a picture with a pixelated Pokemon which you can click on.... I find that to be a poor attempt on a switch considering they could manage it on a gameboy...
    The game story feels rushed, the controls are not as smooth, they got rid of the normal attack without use of PP, corridors can get quite frustrating not being able to switch places with your team-mate and lets not discuss the situation hunger...
    Being that this game got boring after completion in the original due to the repetitive mechanics, for this remake to have no extra content and having its better components taken from it, the game kind of digs its own grave.
    My point is that developers could have done one of 2 things, Kept every aspect the same as the original and then tweaked the annoying mechanics of the original to make the fans of the original happy, which they kind of did but also didn't, we will get to that later or they could have revamped the game, kept the story the same but added more to it, post story, and made the situation less repetitive, the artwork I'll praise, its good.

But no, they chose option 3 because they wanted to put even more people off the mystery dungeon series. They kept most things the same, tweaked mechanics but for some reason got rid of aspects that made the game unique, the reason why people liked this game, if they truly made this for fans to experience nostalgia, then they would not have done that, but they did...
  75. May 10, 2020
    When I picked up this game, I remembered as a kid enjoying this game a lot even though I couldn’t beat it, I thought now I could come back and finish the game. Coming back to it, I was disappointed with it. The graphics are pretty and stylized but felt the resolution for some backdrops should’ve been clearer and not so blurry. The gameplay got tedious and repetitive and exploring theWhen I picked up this game, I remembered as a kid enjoying this game a lot even though I couldn’t beat it, I thought now I could come back and finish the game. Coming back to it, I was disappointed with it. The graphics are pretty and stylized but felt the resolution for some backdrops should’ve been clearer and not so blurry. The gameplay got tedious and repetitive and exploring the dungeons is clunky, what’s worse is these dungeons are the main core gameplay. Also the game has some pretty bad designs that are tedious, Why can’t you buy multiple items at the store? Why must you go through each result rewards with each quest you do? Why is it unskippable when you are greeted by your partner and Pelipper delivers the mail? The story in my opinion was not engaging at all and towards the end felt I was just trudging my way toward the end just to finish it. Also, the section where you’re cast off from the main hub halts the pacing and momentum of the game. Some moments were appreciated and brought a smile to my face and the idle animations(specifically Bulbasaur) give more life to the Pokémon. Also evolution should've been throughout the game rather than given as post game since you can just skip the second evolutions, it would’ve given me a sense of growth/progression. The game was just meh to me. Play Time: 21 hrs. Expand
  76. Oct 7, 2020
    I am a big fan of the main Pokemon games and unfortunately I cannot recommend this one. The graphics are nice but they game is extremely slow, dull and monotonous. I also loved the old PS1 Digimon games that were similar to this but those at least had a more fleshed out battle system.
  77. Feb 4, 2021
    Very sad, not playable without friends (as a casual gamer it’s sometimes hard to win a dungeon)
    Always the same gameplay, nearly no variation.
  78. Apr 26, 2020
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
    A love Hate Relationship
    This is a remake of a now 15 year old game, so needless to say this game features only the first 3 generations of pokemon.. Here you start by chosing 2 characters of different types from all 9 starters with a mix of others such as pickachu.. however I must urge you to pick your favorite based on the pokemon as they are..
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
    A love Hate Relationship
    Here you start by chosing 2 characters of different types from all 9 starters with a mix of others such as pickachu.. however I must urge you to pick your favorite based on the pokemon as they are.. not their evolution forms which ill get into later… so I chose charmander even though Typhlosion is my favorite fire type… basically youre a human that takes the form of pokemon for an unknown reason.. a reason that you seek to find… in the mean time you made a great friend that wants to start a rescue team.. a real pokemon that wants help helping other pokemon, so you two set out on an adventure together to help pokemon in need in these myster dungeons, fast forward to the base of the game. This is a game where you set out with a team of up to 3 pokemon, and complete tasks given to you on a bulliten board, you then go to the precudurally generated dungeon where these tasks are and youclib the floor until all are done… these tasks are all super easy and just require oyu to get to the floor and interact with an item… and thankfully youre able to do every mission in that dungeon in one go so you don’t have to keep climbing…. After you turn in your missions youre rewarde with items that can also be found in dungeon.. these items help with refilling your power points, health, give you dojo tickets so you can level up your characters faster among oether things.. youll also be rewarded with cash that you can use to purchase camps… this is where the whole pokemon part of pokemone mystery dungeon comes into play… as youre going through completing missions, both story and optional, youll be battling pokemon however in a grid format, so you have to actively chose to go diagonal for example rather than just move your charcter like you can up down left and right… which gets really annoying during battles..
    after you defeat pokemon sometimes they will decide to join you on your journey… wah lah.. catching them all… but its not so simple as the mchosing to joing your rescue team, you must also escape the dungeon with them alive.. as well as have purchased the camp for them to stay at… you can then add them to your team and go out on adventures with them…. However… pokemon mystery dungeons tries its hardest to snuff out any sort of pokemon in this pokemon game aside from these initial grindy tactics… this is a very story based game so youre kinda locked to the first 2 characters you chose, youre third character has to be from the wild, and you don’t really have much choice in who your third partner is… it isn’t oh I have a pokemon in mind I want as my third, let me go hunt them down… because the best pokemon are locked off until this 18 hour journey is over.. the starters are all locked off in post game when you get 6 new locations to go to… which kills the whole collecting and strategy aspect of a strategy based collecting game… it isn’t im about to go take on moltres let me go grab a squirtle and level it up to aid me in this battle.. water types are basically non existent in this world until you’ve beaten the game… there are only a couple options for electric types as well… killing incentive to build special teams for different dungeons… not that you could anyway as again youre eseentially tied to the first 2 you chose for story purposes… and worse is.. theres no evolution… you cant evolve your pokemon until post game either… which is all the fun of leveling up… this is basically a game of grind and monotony, and developers knew this.. theres even an auto walk button where the game plays itself…
    it grinds for you.. to add to the grind of this game if you die in a dungeon you can either send in a new team to rescue you or chose to fail the mission and lose all money or items in your possession.. that right all.. not just what you picked up in dungeon.. literally every item in your posession is gone…
    But either way youre forced to replay the dungeon… rather than just be sent back to a checkpoint…
    I became so frustrated with this mechanic that I would quit out of the game completely when id die during a cheap moment and quickly use a revive item to keep going before I lost it all…
    that being said… I love the world of pokemon so much that I still stuck through.. I needed breaks but it had its hooks in me..
    If youre not a fan of pokemon, mystery dungeon wont change that… infact if pokemon weren’t attached to it, I would’ve stopped playing long before credits rolled.. but I just couldn’t stop…and for my the ending made it all worth it.. its just a shame that everything that makes pokemon pokemon is saved for the post game…
    That’s when the true catching them all begins…
    Sadly when youre already over it…
  79. Mar 9, 2020
    Great update to the original, they do carry over some annoying mechanic from the newer games,no basic attack and the screen can get a little cluttered in dungeons but it is only one as opposed to two on ds. Overall it's fantastic that this game got a remake and I await Explores DX
  80. Jun 30, 2020
    This game is so charming. The art-style is really pretty, the story is fantastic, and the gameplay is fun too (although I can understand the gameplay may not be loved by everyone). Also, the amount of content is huge! The post-game is even longer than the main-story; you could easily get over 100 hours out of this game!

It's a great remake to a great game from my childhood!
  81. Jun 25, 2020
    A remastered version of one of the greatest games ever created. This game keeps the charm as well as the best parts of the original while creating a beautiful new look for the series. I could not recommend this game enough.
  82. Mar 9, 2020
    A great remake of the original Blue/Red Rescue Team games. The new art style looks great while in handheld mode, although a little fuzzy once you're playing on a larger screen. Moves have been rebalanced, and now upgrade the more they are used, and can be further upgraded through the use of gummies. The game can feel a little chaotic once you have more than 3-4 Pokemon in your party,A great remake of the original Blue/Red Rescue Team games. The new art style looks great while in handheld mode, although a little fuzzy once you're playing on a larger screen. Moves have been rebalanced, and now upgrade the more they are used, and can be further upgraded through the use of gummies. The game can feel a little chaotic once you have more than 3-4 Pokemon in your party, especially when action is happening off-screen and you're trying to keep track of status effects and damage values. Endgame sees the addition of mega evolutions and shiny Pokemon to fight and collect. Online play allows you to rescue your friends if they fail in a dungeon, which is a nice touch and can be very rewarding. Overall if you enjoyed the original versions of this game, you will enjoy this as well. If you're new to the series I would recommend you try the demo first. Expand
  83. Mar 20, 2020
    A well made remake with an amazing new art-style to bring new life to this 15 year old gem. The story is great even if it takes a while to get going and music is as amazing as it was when it came out on the DS (blue rescue team). New features are a welcome to make things less tedious than how they were in the original. Not that hard of a game overall with most of the challenge coming inA well made remake with an amazing new art-style to bring new life to this 15 year old gem. The story is great even if it takes a while to get going and music is as amazing as it was when it came out on the DS (blue rescue team). New features are a welcome to make things less tedious than how they were in the original. Not that hard of a game overall with most of the challenge coming in toward the end of the main story and into post game. At the end of the day this is still the same dungeon crawler from 15 years ago and repetitiveness can become an issue but if you can look past that you will find a well made game with lots of heart that rewards you for getting through its many dungeon floors with a lovable tale of friendship and a world that makes you want to find out all its secrets. Expand
  84. Jun 22, 2020
    This game have much good things , but when you finish all story, you have an empty feeling, could be better
  85. Mar 26, 2020
    Es una fiel remasterización del juego original, una nueva oportunidad para volver a jugar a un buen título.
  86. Jun 20, 2020
    A fantastic remake of the GBA classic. The gameplay, visual, and auditory adjustments hugely improve what was already an amazing game.
  87. Mar 29, 2020
    Divertido juego me lo he pasado demasiado bien explorando y la historia excelente un buen recuerdo para todos los que adoramos el mundo pokemon
  88. Aug 9, 2020
    Depois da desgraça do "Sword and Shield", vai ser difícil voltar a gostar dessa franquia, melhor ir jogar "Temtem".
  89. Mar 6, 2020
    These games probably get so much hate, because the art style the gameplay and the soundtrack are nothing like those mainstream epic or immersive AAA-games that society has grown use to. But if you want nothing else then such a cute colourful game that is fun in a childish way, you definitely won't be disappointed here. I couldn't ask for mire in a remake in one of my favourite games!These games probably get so much hate, because the art style the gameplay and the soundtrack are nothing like those mainstream epic or immersive AAA-games that society has grown use to. But if you want nothing else then such a cute colourful game that is fun in a childish way, you definitely won't be disappointed here. I couldn't ask for mire in a remake in one of my favourite games! Though I admit that the input lag is really annoying Expand
  90. Mar 6, 2020
    Contiene la esencia del original. Me encanta y es perfecto para usarlo en mi switch
  91. Mar 9, 2020
    The Mystery Dungeon games have always held a special place in my heart. This one's a bit pricey for a DS remake, but its still very worth it.
  92. Apr 28, 2020
    It has a great story whit challenging post game. Visually it is really cute to
  93. Dec 7, 2020
    A fantastic remake of a game and is just way to fun and so alike the original but different in a good way
  94. Oct 26, 2020
    Besides the moving story telling, this game is even more suitable for single play without other players.
  95. Jun 22, 2020
    Ultimately, compared to its original release, not a lot changed in Rescue Team DX. It's got a new graphic style with a real identity, completes evolution lines updated by Gen IV, and adds a mechanics update to match the series as it is now. But almost everything else is very much the same to the original, when most of the unchanged factors could have used a bit of TLC.

Still, that's no

Still, that's no reason to give it a bad score. Improvements are improvements, and giving a much loved series its desperately needed revival was easily the right move to make. I gave the original game a 9, so this game gets a bit higher.
  96. Aug 17, 2020
    A great remaster of a great game; the mystery dungeon genre has always been niche, but this original entry into the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series proved to be solid upon its release in 2005, and still proves to be a strong example of the genre's strengths today, with several valuable quality of life improvements and a wonderful facelift of audio and visuals alike that lets this game trulyA great remaster of a great game; the mystery dungeon genre has always been niche, but this original entry into the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series proved to be solid upon its release in 2005, and still proves to be a strong example of the genre's strengths today, with several valuable quality of life improvements and a wonderful facelift of audio and visuals alike that lets this game truly shine. Rescue Team DX stands as the best way to play this great game, and serves as a great option for switch owners who enjoy this niche genre. Expand
  97. Aug 21, 2020
    very good and fun i think it’s a bit overpriced so i’m knocking it down a number but other then that it’s a very fun game that I would definitely recommend
  98. Aug 23, 2020
    Amazing Story. the music is underrated as hell. and the game play is addicting as hell. the post game has a huge difficulty spike too and i love it so much
  99. Nov 29, 2020
    This game is truly something special. I did play this as a kid, and maybe it's just nostalgia, but damn I love this game. It's fun, it has a simple story, but a touching one at that. It's honestly a real tear jerker. The new artwork is INCREDIBLE, and even 15 years later, Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team and this 2020 remaster is one of my all time favorite games. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
  100. Nov 30, 2020
    I had a blast playing through this game. If you're a fan of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, then this game is an excellent modern spin on Red and Blue Rescue team and a must have. The watercolor art style is gorgeous, and the updated music is so good. Recruitment is fantastic and satisfying in this game, and having a list of other players to rescue online is a great addition. The game does get aI had a blast playing through this game. If you're a fan of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, then this game is an excellent modern spin on Red and Blue Rescue team and a must have. The watercolor art style is gorgeous, and the updated music is so good. Recruitment is fantastic and satisfying in this game, and having a list of other players to rescue online is a great addition. The game does get a little repetitive at times, but other than that it's just a great time Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 74 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    May 1, 2020
    I'm reticent to recommend this experience to anyone who hasn't already explored a few other Mystery Dungeons in the past. [Issue #46 – May/June 2020, p. 64]
  2. Apr 19, 2020
    Rescue Team DX may be a remake, but it does not improve the original formula in almost any way. While the graphics and HUD had an obvious overhaul, the game is a repetitive yet somewhat charming and conflicted experience, that offers quality at the expense of some pretty weird and lazy solutions. Yet if you are a fan, you should not miss this one.
  3. CD-Action
    Apr 17, 2020
    A perfect example of why things that could have worked fifteen years ago, have no place today. Especially if you sell them as a premium game. [05/2020, p.78]