8.3

1. Nov 5, 2020
    Obra Dinn is one unique game.

Started out fun but got confusing as it went on.

Thought it might get easier to get names of people as the game progressed but the game went on and more and more people was left nameless.
  2. Oct 27, 2020
    Return of the Obra Dinn is a unique and compelling puzzle game with strong visual appeal thanks to its two-tone art style, as well as a great soundtrack.

You play as an insurance inspector sent to figure out the fates and identities of the 60 souls that travelled aboard the Obra Dinn, a ship that suddenly reappears after several years missing without a single member of its crew. It's basically a detective game where you gradually piece together the story in a non-linear fashion, figuring out what exactly happened to each crew member by using a pocket watch that lets you see the last moment of someone's life.

The game is reasonably difficult without being exceedingly so, as you're told each time you get three fates correct which keeps you on the right track. There are specific ways to work everything out, but personally I had to guess and assume quite a few things which maybe wasn't as satisfying as doing things the 'proper' way, but it got the job done. Again though, there are ways to deduce everyone's identity and cause of death if you look and listen hard enough, which is of course a good thing.

Return of the Obra Dinn is a game which looks and sounds great. In motion especially, the art style really pops. The visuals suit the mystery and tone presented in the game, as does the music. The music is damn good and just fits every moment perfectly, and the sound design in general is top notch.

One thing I do wish was more fleshed out is the overarching narrative. The individual moments you witness are interesting but I was expecting more from the ending. This is a really clever game so I was sort of hoping for some grand revelation or a twist that just didn't come. Instead, the conclusion is a little abrupt and feels lacking in my opinion.

Still, this is a genuinely impressive game that stands out in numerous ways. It's impressive because of how it manages to do something new and because it was all developed by just one guy, Lucas Pope. I enjoyed the game, and although I wasn't that happy with how it was tied up, I was engaged throughout my 8 hour playtime. This is a game that demands your attention, and it's one that deserves it.

This is a great indie title and one that's easy to recommend. It's something refreshing and different, and something well worth experiencing for yourself.
  3. Aug 10, 2020
    O que mais me impressionou no jogo foi a história, muito interessante e combina com o visual mesmo, super recomendo para quem tem Switch.
  4. Jun 23, 2020
    I enjoyed this game for its detective sudoku mechanics as well as its exploration of settler colonialism bringing out the worst in (white) people, though more could have been done with this. I'd love to see other games by Lucas Pope on the Switch (Papers Please please).
  5. Jun 3, 2020
    Hands down best detective game ever! Mr Pope trul has the Midas's touch giving us this game on the heels of papers please. It achieves what none has before making the player invested in not just 1 or 2 but 60 people's lives and deaths. What a terrible fate befell the Obra Dinn? Whats that flickering shine in the sea close to it? Find out in this absolute gem of an experience !
  6. May 25, 2020
    Más allá de un par de fallos perdonables (el estilo gráfico es tan marcado que o lo odias o lo amas, la interfaz es un poco confusa a veces) el desarrollo de la historia y la forma de interactuar con los diferentes cortes de tiempo es muy buena. Muy inmersivo y adictivo, recomendable jugar con bloc de notas o papel, para ir anotando detalles.
  7. Mar 23, 2020
    One of my favorite games that i will recommend to everyone. It gives you a sense of accomplishment whenever you solve a death. Only gave it a 9 because of the lack of replayability. Great game nonetheless
  8. Dec 15, 2019
    Ok I got a new favorite game. This game is so brilliantly designed. The graphics are beautiful and involving despite being made looking like 80’s PCs monitora and pixelated.

The story that unfolds is magical and involving. The thrill and challenge of discovering what happened.

Lucas Pope deserves an award.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 11, 2019
    Despite some minor control issues on consoles, Return of the Obra Dinn remains possibly the most successful detective game ever made.
  2. Nov 11, 2019
    Return of the Obra Dinn is without a doubt a thinking man/woman's piece of crumpet. It is someone that you can take out on a date and have a riveting conversation with, but then scratch your head about some of the things they've said afterwards. There's not a lot of replay value here and a lot of the fun is over whence all discoveries have been made and confirmed. That said, it is a, mostly, to-the-point adventure, and it is because of this focus that Return of the Obra Dinn works so well. It's certainly not going to be for everyone, and may even sound boring to some, but as long as there's no expectation for split second thrills (beyond that of what is depicted in the memories, which can be thrilling), you will find an excellent puzzle experience with a more than shipshape presentation.
  3. Nov 8, 2019
    On consoles this whodunnit adventure has its flaws, but in its best moments this is an intense, clever constructed as well as challenging experience.