8.6

1. Sep 16, 2017
    There is far too much "rose-tinted glasses" syndrome going on with this game, professional reviewer and user alike. Let me be clear upfront; I don't ever think any game is either a "10" or a "0" there is no such thing as perfection in the medium (good or bad). Yet, after spending time with this game It came very apparent to me what this was:

The biggest amalgamation of game tropes the

The biggest amalgamation of game tropes the world has ever seen.

There are so many mechanics in this game found in other titles it is astonishing. Skyrim, The Witcher, Fallout, Farcry, Dead Island, Assassin's Creed just to name a few. I've played this game before that's all I kept saying. Are these things found in these titles bad? No, of course not, but i've done it already. The magic those titles brought is wiped away in BoTW. They were handed better in those games, whereas Nintendo took the root element of those mechanics and slowed down progression to neigh-on a crawl.

Breaking weapons, small stamina gauge, lack of armor, lack of health, lack of mobility. The amount of labor this title demands to be at least comfortable in content is beyond strained. It feels like a F2P game without the ability to actually pay for SOME things. It is tedious, everything about this game is tedious.

The soundtrack (or lack there off) was a bad choice. Why they thought just the sound of nature alone for the majority of the game was a good idea is beyond me. It became jarring, making me uncomfortable. We've been conditioned for so long to have some kind of music in the background at all times made the constant silence make my skin itch. At least they should have given the option to have a traditional score playing tastefully in the background.

I've also heard the comparison to the original title and how it left the player to fend for themselves and figure things out. This, is nominally accurate. The problem with this line of reasoning is flawed in a few ways:

1) The map of the original Zelda was of a manageable size
    2) There was near Zero collecting of side mission items
    3) There were no day/night cycles where certain things appeared in game
    4) Control was fully in the hands of the player and all base abilities were there with zero hindrances. Items and equipment made the player stronger.

There are also issues with optimization, because my lord does this title chug a ton in tv mode. Framerate issues are a plenty. Also the art style falls between muddy wind waker and sharper Ocarina of time. The lack of ANY REAL button mapping is a shame. Item management is infuriating (the damn cooking! Why do it this way!) The lack of a auto load a weapon when one breaks is silly (or shield or bow).

I've played Zelda since the original, and while brunt of this review is negative, at the end of the day, it's a Zelda game so the heart of the adventure is still the same. Does this game deserve a 10? God no, or a 9 or an 8. It's nice to see Nintendo as a company do something fresh and out of their comfort zone, but if copying things from titles in years gone past as fresh, they need to go back to the well; especially when titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn took the same approach BoTW did and did it so much better (and cleaner).

It is worth buying BotW, but don't accept the lauded hype: it's fine, it's fun, it's not a game changer.
  2. Mar 3, 2017
    Everywhere new things to discover, amazing story and "wunderschöne" graphic
    thx nintendo
    This can be the best game ever if the DLC are the last 2 Prozent
  3. Mar 13, 2017
    A lot of what needs to be said has already been said but wanted to reinforce some of the faults (mainly so that we don't see a game like this again in Zelda series).

Pros: • Combat, for those that enjoy twitchy dodge and parry soulsborne mechanics (like me) you can basically dominate this game and it feels very rewarding. • Graphics are beautiful. Normally don't like this sort of art

Pros:
    • Graphics are beautiful. Normally don't like this sort of art style but its very suiting to the game.
    • Exploration. You can climb/traverse practically anything in the game. Perilous path on your way to that tower? Stock up on stam pots and climb the mountain up instead.

Cons:
    • Story and characters feel very shallow. Main story characters are very underdeveloped which leaves you wanting for more. How can you expect players to like any of the characters when you give them only 10 lines.
    • Music is very underwhelming for a Zelda game
    • Waiting times are ridiculous. Upgrading a piece of armor? watch cutscene. Discover shrine? Cutscene. Cooking food? cutscene. Korok seed? Cutscene. Wouldn't be complaining except you have to do it so many times it gets obnoxious.
    • Everything just seem so repetitive. The 4 main dungeons are basically giant puzzles. The bosses are practically the same, shoot the eye, get in for damage, repeat with 1 or 2 minor new gimmicks. The champion stories are practically identical, there's an king and an underling, somehow related to the champions of old. It just seems lazy. Majority of side quests are your run of the mill "fetch my sister a baked apple" or help us kill these boars. Monsters are basically copy pasta with new skins.
    • Performance. Not that we didn't already expect this given the specs on both the Switch and Wii U. It's frequent enough to actually ruin immersion (straight up freezes at certain parts).
  4. Mar 12, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm honestly very disappointed in this game, and the Zelda community in general. First let's start with the community. I have never seen such "fanboyism" over a title before. I understand that people have their own personal opinions on the game, and that is totally fine by me. If you think this game is a 10/10 masterpiece, then by all means, enjoy the hell out of it! What bothers me is the communities need to belittle or trivialize the negative reviews as just being the symptom of "switch jealousy" or having some vendetta against Nintendo. I can assure you that this is not the case with me, and that I sincerely hoped that BOTW would be an amazing title in the Zelda franchise.

Unfortunately, I have been severely disappointed in this hope, and here's why:

-The World: While extremely vast the world has an empty and repetitive feel to it. Many of the areas feel barren and void of character, like they were simply added make the game feel bigger, without adding any actual enjoyment or discovery value to the game. There is a shockingly small amount of enemies scattered throughout the game as well, and you will often run into the same enemies over and over again, with out a slight change to their coloring or weapon they are armed with.

-Dungeons: The dungeons in this game are a joke, plain and simple. First you have the shrines, which technically aren't "dungeons" but serve a similar purpose in the game. They are meant to be challenging puzzle rooms much like you would find in previous installments of the series. Key word here is "meant; because they are so brain numbingly easy that they quickly become stale. On top of that, they are almost all identical (outside of their puzzle content). They all share the same music, aesthetic look, dialogue, and end goal of receiving a spirit orb from the shrine guardian. I found myself bored after the first 10 or so shrines, and was dejected that I had to go through the same experience another 100 times in order to complete them all.

The main dungeons- Vah Medoh, Vah Naboris, Vah Rudania, Vah Ruta, and Hyrule Castle play like a larger version of the shrines. While they do have their own art styles to set them apart, the puzzles contained within are very uninspired and easy to solve. I felt no challenge what so ever finding my way through these. On top of that, all of the dungeon bosses feel the same. Shoot a weak spot with arrows, then attack when they are weak.

The Music: The music in this game is terrible. Whoever had the idea to go with "minimalist jazzy" type of music for the game should be fired. It totally ruins the game in many areas. The Hyrule field and combat music were especially annoying to me, and became part of the game I hated after having to listen to them enough. Some of the village music, Kakariko Village especially, were good,but this was not enough for me to forgive the otherwise terrible choice of music for most of the other locations.

Questing- All I can say is boring.. Whether is was collecting korok seeds or doing the mainline quests, the entire system seemed uninspired and boring to me. Much like the shrines; quest just felt like a tedious grind after awhile.

Performance- The game could be quite beautiful and striking sometimes, but often times it looked like a past generation title. On top of this, the performance is often abysmal, with fps dropping to below 20 for extended periods of time. This is simply unexceptionable for a AAA title like this, made by a company like Nintendo! On top of that, the game only supports 900p resolution, which is just insane for any game made in 2016-2017.

Final Verdict: If all you care about is exploring a vast world set in the Zelda universe, then you may enjoy this title.; but if you are like me and are hoping for depth and innovation, I don't believe you will find it in BOTW.

Sincerely,

A dejected Zelda Fan
  5. Apr 16, 2017
    Combat: Shallower than other 3D Zeldas like Twilight Princess which introduced some fancier attacks, or Skyward Sword that let you have full 1:1 control of the sword. This plays like a dumbed down version of Dark Souls. Very few combo or attack strings per weapon, very little enemy variety, mostly recolors. All the weapons breaking is a pain in the ass and means you constantly have toCombat: Shallower than other 3D Zeldas like Twilight Princess which introduced some fancier attacks, or Skyward Sword that let you have full 1:1 control of the sword. This plays like a dumbed down version of Dark Souls. Very few combo or attack strings per weapon, very little enemy variety, mostly recolors. All the weapons breaking is a pain in the ass and means you constantly have to switch weapons, as all loot in the game is rewarded for side quests you're essentially doing these quests only to get consumable items that make no long term impact on the game.

Story: Non-existent, you get cutscenes of Zelda giving expository dialogue and everything else is indirect and/or unexplained because it's too deep for you I guess. The Zelda game could not boast to have the best of storylines, but they at least tried, this game is well below the mark for the series. It's very disappointing how they handled Ganon in this game. The ancient evil has awakened! For what is meant to be a "modernizing" game in the series, they reduce the story back to the basic level it was in Zelda 1.

World: It's very big yes, but in terms of what there is to do, this game has essentially 3 or 4 dungeons depending on how you count them, compared to 7-8 at bare minimum for all the other 3D Zelda games. Besides these disappointing dungeons, the game spams shrines. Shrines are very very short versions of a dungeon that all look the same but have different physics puzzles where you throw balls into cups or make balls go around a bend or maze suspended in the air. You also can go open world "seed" side quests where you have to run up a hill really fast, throw boulders/balls into cups in the ground/ocean, the kind of thing you'd do in Assassin's Creed.

Music: Indefensibly bad compared to previous 3D Zeldas. There is mostly no music for the majority of the game, and what music there is just isn't very good. While not as bad as the New LA theme in Xenoblade X, this is not outright bad music, it's not going to be anything that people listen to for years like the themes from previous Zelda games. I can't say it's too surprising given the general design of the game when there's very little to really get inspiration from for a theme, there's barely any character or boss themes.

Of special note is the terrible voice acting in this game that may as well fall under the music banner. The voice acting is horrendously bad and this is the first time they have tried to do voice acting in a Zelda game. Zelda herself sounds like a stereotypical British woman and her delivery is extremely wooden. Most characters/NPCs still don't talk anyway, and a Zelda game with random, bad voice acting frankly breaks the immersion, if everything else not feeling like Zelda didn't do that already.

Graphics: It looks nice but does it really compare to other recent open world games that it is obviously heavily inspired by? Compare it to FFXV or MGS5, two other recent Japanese attempts at doing an open world Elder Scrolls type game, they look much better. This may be because Nintendo is working on Wii U development at the same time and the Switch hardware is new, but do not expect to be blown away by the graphics in this game. The art style is different but can't help but feel it looks a lot more bloom-y and oversaturated than even Skyward Sword, I have a personal preference for the N64/TP's art style but this style honestly doesn't even do the style as many favors as Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. The frame rate drops constantly to the point of being unplayable.

In conclusion I am not a hater of this game and I do not care about whatever console wars are going on with the user score here, this game is offensively bad to me as a fan of the series since for decades. This is no longer Zelda, it's just Nintendo trying to cash in on the latest trends of open world Western games. Didn't work for Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid either and this game will lose its shiny critical acclaim soon enough when people look beyond the shallow "big open world" that clearly got all the focus in development.
  6. Mar 13, 2017
    In response to Boogie2988, I should have been more clear in my definition of open world. I consider this game to be a good start into the modern genre of open world games. I also find that your reviews are just as bad as mine. Thanks for cutting out a majority of my review.

Pros • Unique hot and cold mechanic • Interesting flow of motion between paraglider, shield surfing, and

Pros
    • Unique hot and cold mechanic
    • Interesting flow of motion between paraglider, shield surfing, and climbing.
    • Voice acting but only sparingly.
    • Fun photo documenting mechanic

Cons
    • Long loading screens and wait times. Numerous long animations that should be skippable. Such as the drop on the Sheikah Slate and others. A quarter of my time with the game is just waiting.
    • Consistent frame dips and even freezes at times.
    • The world is boring. Each region is exactly the same with a color swap and monsters sprinkled throughout. The Sheikah architecture looks ugly and all the dungeons feel the same.
    • weapons are made of paper that break after a few hits. Resulting in annoying weapon management process
    • Locking on monsters is a pain
    • There is no way to gauge how much damage a monster is going to do. You can expect large monsters to hurt, but then sometimes random lower tier monsters can delete your health bar.
    • Tedious cooking process.
    • insanely high monster tracking. Attacks are very difficult to dodge resulting in an experience that feels unfair.
    • The entire experience feels tedious. Climb tower (which takes forever), go through repetitive dungeons, run around in the barren landscape, and repeat until you beat the game. It just feels like they are trying to make the experience longer for the sake of making it longer.
    • The combat is mindless hack and slashing.
    • The Sheikah power ups just feel gimmicky.

You would be far better off playing a game with real combat like Dark Souls or an interesting open world like Witcher or an interesting story like Bioshock. This game would never reach such high ratings if it didn't have the Zelda brand.
  7. Mar 4, 2017
    THIS GAME IS NOT PERFECT

It is insanity to me that people can play this game and give it a perfect 10/10 score when the most important element a video game should have is missing: FUN Simply put, this game is not fun. It is beautiful, it is breathtaking, it is large. Beyond large. So large it is breathtaking. But it is not fun. As a die hard Zelda fan since birth it baffles me that
    THIS GAME IS NOT PERFECT

As a die hard Zelda fan since birth it baffles me that people are too blindsided by the massiveness of the world in this game to see how bland and obnoxiously tedious every second of the game is. Let me explain why this game broke my heart into a million different pieces which I won't be able to pick up off the floor because this game no longer features heart pieces.

- Initial reaction:
    Breath of the Wild was made for the Wii U. The concept of having the wii motion plus as a swinging sword in Skyward Sword was swapped for the concept of having a gamepad in front of you to act as your menu, your map, and to feature inventive ways of using items throughout the game. All of this was utilized when Nintendo designed Wind Waker HD for the Wii U. And all of this was scrapped for Breath of the Wild when Nintendo decided to have it released alongside the Nintendo Switch which doesn't offer a touch screen gamepad. So we were forced to wait an extra year and a half for a game to be dumbed down from it's original design. Within the first 5 minutes of playing this struck me as a huge let down but I knew the game would be so epic this major set back wouldn't matter. I was wrong.

- Gameplay:
    Nearly every tried and true mechanic from the Zelda genre has been swapped out to fit what Nintendo clearly thinks of as "Mature" gaming mechanics. Instead of having a sword and shield you can upgrade you now have a plethora of weapons to loot off enemies which break after a very short usage... It's like being punished for playing the game. Even the Master Sword breaks.
    Link runs along with a stamina bar like he did in Skyward Sword. In fact he plays much like the Link in Skyward Sword except he's now in a world 800x the size meaning he is unbearably slow. Like snail dragging in quick sand kind of slow. The world is massive and you want to be able to scale every mountain, which you are forced to do at an unbelievably slow pace. The world also is not fun to explore. It's pretty to explore, but there is nothing to do that is actually fun because fighting, traveling, and item usage are all boring.

+ Graphics:
    Amazing. It's beautiful and there are no load times for anything. However there is a constant stutter and frame rate whenever you're around moving objects... Like grass. Grass is everywhere, by the way. So the game almost feels like a Sega Saturn game and the disc is skipping. Again, HOW can you give a game a perfect score when it just IS NOT PERFECT!?

- Sound:
    The absolute worst feature of the game. Did they even make a score to this game? There seems to be a slight patter of piano in the distance behind you which plays softly among the never ending clatter of your weapon hitting your shield. The painful sound of Link walking is only comparable to water boarding. They added voice actors which is cool except the American actors sound extremely cheesy and amateur and there is no switching to Japanese voice acting, which if you've seen the Japanese trailer you know is amazing. And if you thought the sound effect of having one heart remaining in previous Zeldas was bad it's nothing compared to the sound effect of when you're near a shrine. Which is all the time.

- Overall
    Speaking of shrines, there are no longer dungeons. There are shrines. 100's of them and they all have the same skin and are kind of like one puzzle you would find in a typical Zelda dungeon. You have to solve 4 of them, and then go to a goddess statue to have her give you more stamina or a heart container. YEP, there are NO heart pieces in this game! However there is an endless supply of food, materials, bugs, animals to kill, and a bunch of other things that the Zelda world did not need. There are 4 bigger shrines which are all very similar and probably the best part of the game.
    In general this game is just a giant middle finger to anyone who loves Nintendo and specifically the Zelda franchise. I'm convinced these perfect score reviews are all hired interns with Nintendo to ensure their stock doesn't plummet farther than it already has. And I hate saying this about Nintendo, I honestly LOVE NINTENDO. Sadly, these reviews mean the Zelda franchise will keep these horrendous changes, so thanks to all of you who made it impossible for us to ever have another Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker!!!
  8. Mar 3, 2017
    Be wary of people giving this game a high score. They just might be trying to sell you on something.

Things it did right: + Huge world with lots of little details, probably where Nintendo spent most of their time in development + The go-anywhere-and-possibly-be-undergeared motif of LoZ1 was translated to a 3D game alright enough + Made the mastersword rely on heart containers to

Things it did right:
    + Made the mastersword rely on heart containers to acquire it, much like the White Sword or Magical Sword from LoZ1. Probably the only specific callback to LoZ1 that translated "perfectly".

Things it tried:
    • Redesigned many characters, going as far as never giving Link a hat in promotional art and changing his iconic color from green to blue, or Ganon who is now a demon spider instead of a pig, only a pig in spirit. Moblins were turned into weird long snouted lanky unicorn pigmonsters, Hinox were turned into somewhat-more-generic Giants losing their iconic(?) Bomb-throwing attacks.
    • Tried voice acting but traded player-freedom of naming their character so spoken lines could needlessly refer to you as "Link".
    • The go-anywhere-model of LoZ1 lost almost all likeness to most other Zelda games because of the way it was implemented. In order to go anywhere and do anything from the start of the game, the player unfortunately gets all their tools at the start of the game so no proper dungeons with proper treasures or item equipment that would otherwise lock one player from accessing things another player could gated via game progress- which also isn't necessarily even "true" to how LoZ1 accomplished it.

Things it did wrong:
    - Traded the sweeping and catchy good music of traditional Zelda design even going as far back as the original LoZ1 for lighter, emptier, less-frequent ambient sounds to adapt to the world's environment of "musical" cues and reliance on things like stealth. As an original game this might have worked, but the tradeoff meaning no great "Zelda music" as many expect from the franchise doesn't work to a benefit. The weaker audio design fits their game design, but the weaker audio design of their game design doesn't fit "Zelda".
    - From a series known for streamlined access to health replenishment via bottles full of potions and frequent floating hearts, placing all healing behind food collection and menu access gets in the way of player intention within the world and only serves to distract the player or otherwise pad the adventure with unnecessary filler. Trivial for a series that virtually invented the concept behind the Estus Flask from the Souls games. Such an estus-flask-like method of healing would have more accurately emulated the streamlined healing of past Zelda games while still allowing them to get away from hearts in bushes and pots.
    - Related to food collection, the game design around killing simple non-zelda scenery animals unrelated to the variety of Zelda enemies for various Raw Meat items is woefully unnecessary and out-of-place for any Zelda game much less any Nintendo game. This concept was so poorly implemented to even include killing foxes and wolves for meat, in our modern society where both have been domesticated as pets or otherwise crossbred with domestic dogs to produce canines that look identical to their wild counterparts. Whether the player has the intent or not to harm them, they can be killed by enemies anyway. "Eating dog meat" is a gut-wrenching phrase I never imagined would describe an action in any videogame much less one from Nintendo, and has forever irreparably damaged my otherwise flawless opinion of the franchise and its creators.
    - No actual sprawling dungeons from a series known for it's sprawling dungeons is a weakpoint. The shrines, although numerous and fairly uniquely designed in terms of their puzzles, unfortunately still manage to all look identical and don't offer the same expected gameplay layout or scenic/regional design as cohesive interconnected hallways and rooms from traditional dungeons in other Zelda games. Even the four Divine Beasts operate more like "slightly larger shrines" than something remotely close to being considered a true "dungeon", with Hyrule Castle being the only "true" dungeon.
    - Enemy variety compared to past Zelda games and even many modern games is staggeringly low. All enemies and bosses counted, there are only 23 different monsters that are copied-pasted-and-recolored or given a slightly different weapon or elemental attribute to create the majority of Breath of the Wild's "variety". Even going back to Ocarina of Time, there were 46 unique enemies and bosses counted together, not including recolored or reskinned variations; and of course each mainline Zelda game since Ocarina and before Breath of the Wild has had virtually the same variety if not more. There are actually more background scenery animal species in this game than unique enemies, meaning the only true visual variety that exists is in the scenery itself - a negative only because enemy combat is a necessity.
  9. Mar 5, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the worst Zelda game I've ever played, but undeniably the most disappointing one to date. This game was severely overhyped, and for all the praising of the "boundless world" (as someone who grew up playing classic MMORPG's like WoW, I'm not impressed by this world size), the game suffers from serious crippling flaws. From the very moment they announced that weapons would break within the game, I knew this game was going to be overly convoluted with the survival mechanics, and lo and behold! -- these are the most convoluted survival mechanics I've ever experienced in any game, and I am beyond disappointed that it had to be in a Zelda game.

I thought I hated Skyward Sword because of the breakable shields and the stamina gauge, but Breath of the Wild plunges it to a whole new level of absolute loathing. Oh, and apparently the Hylian Shield can break according to some players, but it's still the best shield and easier to get than in Skyward Sword. That, however, is no consolation for all of the other excruciating survival mechanics, like the stamina wheel. Link can't swim. Okay, he can swim until his stamina wheel runs out, and then he drowns. I can tread water and float for over an hour before getting tired, and Link is considerably more fit than I am, and he can't even swim for more than a minute before just drowning. Here I thought the point of immersion was to be, well, immersive, but that couldn't be farther from immersive (it's more of submersion, really).

Then there's lighting... Eiji Aonuma evidently assumed that because metal conducts electricity, that lightning would be attracted to random metal objects -- I think he needs to consult a middle school physics teacher. The ELECTRONS in the clouds and the ground are attracted to each other via an electrical field, and the resulting attraction between these electrons is lightning, and lightning will channel through the tallest object within the electrical field to make that connection -- whether it conducts electricity or not. This is why lightning strikes trees and skyscrapers need lightning rods.

However, the biggest and most infuriating disappointment is the cooldown on the Master Sword. Yes, the Master Sword has a cooldown. You can use it for so long before it needs to "recharge" for 10 minutes. That was my one hope, that the Master Sword would be a permanent, unbreakable, no-conditions-attached, weapon, and it isn't. The Master Sword isn't even the strongest weapon, it only has a base damage of 30 and gets boosted to 60 only in Hyrule Castle. Also, what was with that bit about it being rusted? Never explained, and the narrative only serves to leave more questions.

The story... Instead of having a good story, driven by compelling characters and a sequential plot, like Skyward Sword, the players must take Link to random places in Hyrule to flashback memories from his time with Zelda, and that's the narrative. Very, very underwhelming. You don't get to interact with these characters. You just get to watch them do things in the past very briefly, and accessing these memories is incredibly hard, and it's very difficult to try and do them in sequential order. The narrative would have been far better if the player had actually interacted in these scenarios -- not flashbacks.

As I said, this isn't the worst Zelda game, but it is the most disappointing, and I can only pray that Eiji Aonuma learns from his serious mistakes. After this, I'm not sure I want him working on another Zelda title, ever again.
  10. Mar 6, 2017
    90% of people will never replay breath of the wild.
    90% of people will never replay breath of the wild.
    The game is designed around dumping all your time into a single play file thanks to how slow the accumulation of anything works. Theres no second quest, the enemy variety is **** like the only thing you have going for it is "the world is big and i wanna see every inch of it" which is absolutely no different than any other open world game ever. Unfortunately the gameplay options and variety isn't there to carry you all the way.

Its Minecraft survival without crafting, world building, world destruction, or a random world and fresh world every time you play. And I don't even like Minecraft, i'm just sayin this Hyrule is going to get old fast because the world itself is the only thing that got a lot of attention in development. There are re-used assets everywhere, from multiple recolored/reskinned variations of enemies to even there functionally being 6 or 7 different kinds of weapons in the game that were negligently forced into strict attack sets of shortsword, longsword or spear. Reused animations, reused monsters, reused assets everywhere. Even the mastersword explodes into blue dust like every other destructable weapon despite its plot mechanic of "running out of energy" to be returned to your inventory rendered useless for 20 minutes.

The game is as wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.
  11. Mar 4, 2017
    Overhyped. No feature or mechanic in this game isn't a rip from the myriad of open world action RPGs that most Nintendo fanboys would mock years ago. Now the same outdated mechanics are given a Zelda skin and it's a new chapter in video games? Much like the newest Metal Gear, or FFXV, this will get great reviews at first, and when people really play it the truth will be known. EveryoneOverhyped. No feature or mechanic in this game isn't a rip from the myriad of open world action RPGs that most Nintendo fanboys would mock years ago. Now the same outdated mechanics are given a Zelda skin and it's a new chapter in video games? Much like the newest Metal Gear, or FFXV, this will get great reviews at first, and when people really play it the truth will be known. Everyone loved the Star Wars Prequels, until they didn't. Terrible voice acting as well, shouldn't have even bothered for the cutscenes. i was bored of this after only a few hours. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2017
    This game runs like trash on both Wii U and Switch. It's 2017 and having a 30fps game is bad enough, but when the frames routinely drop below 20 you have a serious problem. This is all despite the fact that the visuals are already incredibly simplistic and look like they could easily be from a game released in 2006. It's pretty amazing that Nintendo refuses to join up with modernThis game runs like trash on both Wii U and Switch. It's 2017 and having a 30fps game is bad enough, but when the frames routinely drop below 20 you have a serious problem. This is all despite the fact that the visuals are already incredibly simplistic and look like they could easily be from a game released in 2006. It's pretty amazing that Nintendo refuses to join up with modern technology.

This game is basically Skyrim-lite. There are very few outfits/armor to collect, leading you to running around a world and visiting shrines fruitlessly. It's fun at first but fatigue and repetition set in quickly once you realize the only reason to continue grinding shrines is to get an upgrade to health or stamina. That's it, there's no skills to level, or other perks. Just those two. Character customization depth goes out the window.

What's worse is Nintendo decided to lock several iconic armor sets behind Amiibo microtransaction paywalls. Even though they are in the game you can't unlock them unless you go out and buy several $10-$30 toys, assuming you can even find them. Companies like Capcom get torn apart for egregious locked-out content like this, yet Nintendo once again gets a free pass, because Zelda apparently.

Your horse Epona and Wolf link are also locked behind Amiibo figures. Good luck getting those without spending money on toys.

These 10/10 reviews are laughable and truly show just how much credibility all these "journalists" have. They should be critiquing a game without bias. There's no way this game is close to being perfect, and if it wasn't a Zelda game it would have a MUCH lower score. Journalists should be reliable for an objective review and critique of a game and instead they let their own fandom get in the way of being honest with their readers.

I wonder how many more years Nintendo can survive based on this incredible blind loyalty. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  13. Mar 12, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game has several major flaws. The final boss is too easy to defeat and can be reached without defeating the 4 main bosses. The number of bosses is half of the amount in previous Zelda games-- 4 beast bosses in the current game compared to 7-8 bosses of older Zelda games. The frame rate drops to staggering levels very often. The overall color of the game and environment is pale and there is lots of glare.

The final boss and ending were disappointing. There was no dialogue-- both Link and Gannon were mute. The final form of Gannon, when defeated, did not explode after an animation build up . Symbolic to an anticlimactic ending, the defeated Gannon merely vanished and faded. This felt conflicting and inadequate.
  14. Mar 14, 2017
    Not a fan of the weapon durability mechanic. Didn't like how the pace of the game was brought to a halt by the puzzle dungeons. I put the game in the same category as the letdowns that were Skyward Sword, the Wind Waker series games, and the DREADFUL Majora's Mask.
  15. Mar 3, 2017
    Not worthy of the Zelda franchise.

Despite offering a huge world to explore its largely empty and devoid of interest. The shrines are mini puzzles and become incredibly boring early with journeying between them even more so. Its also one of the only ways to increase your hearts/stamina so your essentially forced to do these side quests. Dungeons are gone. You have shrines that are
    Not worthy of the Zelda franchise.

Dungeons are gone. You have shrines that are very short puzzles rewarding an item you can trade for hearts or stamina. Probably is they all look the same with bland interiors. There are 4 mechanical creatures that are slightly longer versions of shrines but the only real dungeon is hyrule castle.

Its also annoying that the inventory is micro management heavy, item break often so your constantly swapping. You can expand your inventory but again it involves finding seeds and trading them in. If the world was more interesting this might have been fun.

The climbing mechanic isn't fun. Its tedious and repetitive. The towers you have to climb are essentially less interesting versions of the towers from far cry 4.

So disappointed. I've put it down and don't think I'll bother finishing it. There's just nothing to keep my interest.
  16. Mar 23, 2017
    Worst zelda game ever, 15 fps 720p garbage. Boring combat system, no dungeons, stamina meter and durability on weapons...ugh. Graphics are like 10 years out of date, half the characters have no voice acting? Nintendo still stuck in 2001 I guess...
  17. Apr 7, 2017
    After finishing the new Zelda, a game that I've been waiting for so long, my feelings about it are mixed.
    I guess one could call it: "Bittersweet symphony".
    It's undoubtedly extremely artistic and beautiful, with very nice new additions and a great looking vast world, hidden with all types of wonders. The weather effects are extremely atmospheric and voice additions are great. However,
    I guess one could call it: "Bittersweet symphony".
    However, I found its main scenario short and flat. Many of the old mechanics (temples, farming, mystery items and classic small details) are missing and the silence of their absence to an old school hardcore Zelda fan like me is deafening.
    I am generally very light and forgiving with technical details and graphics, but either the game or the console itself has serious technical issues at some points, which leaves me wondering: "how on earth did those 'game bricks' went through the quality assurance process?". I will not talk about areas where the framerate drops to 10-15 per sec, because I forgive it, with a light heart. Were they in such a big rush to push the game out? We waited 3 more years for it, a few more months wouldn't have made any difference.
    The music is generally not noticeable. With the exceptions of some big moments. But nothing to be carved in your memory like the old Zelda game
    I'm sorry but, if I have to compare it with its own predecessors, like the ocarina of time, wind waker, twilight princess, this new installment will not do. It has been measured... and found wanting.
    Sadly, even though insanely artistic and pretty, it's my personal belief that "Breath of the wild" is a lesser son of greater sires.
  18. Mar 6, 2017
    Realy hard to take this score serious. Game looks boring and uninspired, framerate is ridiculous, those ps2 textures realy look ugly, history was maybe the worst I have memory in a Zelda game, cmon N, slaughtering wild innocent animals? Non-sense. I was expecting way more from this one, since all you did was making us waiting all this time... you really turn up to be as greedy as peopleRealy hard to take this score serious. Game looks boring and uninspired, framerate is ridiculous, those ps2 textures realy look ugly, history was maybe the worst I have memory in a Zelda game, cmon N, slaughtering wild innocent animals? Non-sense. I was expecting way more from this one, since all you did was making us waiting all this time... you really turn up to be as greedy as people are starting to realize. This was the most non-Zelda game from this franchise I ever played. You can´t fool all of us with the nostalgia factor guys, cmon. Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2017
    This game seriously has performance issues. It's the worst I've seen in a while. Don't know how those professional reviewers ignore and gave those absurd scores. If this game didn't have Zelda label in front of it. Expect to see full of 79-80 score.
  20. Mar 4, 2017
    The game is really basic and underwhelming from what you would expect from 2017 game for 50 pounds.
    Sure there are some nice features, some interesting spells as well, but that is not really a game changing aspects of it. Sure you we could ride a horses, and the horses are really nice made, but eh you guess it, other games also have nice made horses...
    The world is huge, too bad its
    The world is huge, too bad its empty, and stuff renders really close to us, fog is also annoying and almost taking all the joy from the open world. There are also really few dungeons to play in, and almost all of them have the same bosses.
    As that being said, there are really few enemies you fight against, most of them are just recolors, the AI of the enemies is non existent, sometimes they could kill themselves when fighting on a hills...
    The animations are really hard to describe, sometimes they are as smooth as a silk sheet on the other time are clunky as hell and characters teleport their limbs around, this feels really weird. The amount of fighting moves is not high either.
    Graphics are the graphics you would expect from the free MMORPG game, not from high price stuff like this. Even though the graphics arent really exclusive, the game could have significant fps drops, sometimes even stutter when fighting many enemies at once, this is unacceptable for the price of the game as high as 50 pounds. Is this game in alpha stage? Because i cant tell, the game feels unfinished for me.
    My score is 2, the game doesnt deserve more, simply because it is stuck in time somewhere between 2009 and 2010, for the price like this you would expect something much more. Why would you play underdog Wii u, when you could play something much more advanced for the same or similar price???
    Both console and the game are not worth their price, i regret all pennies i spend on this, would have buy some league of legends skins instead...
  21. Mar 3, 2017
    It feels like i'm playing some crappy version of minecraft. It's all mindless busywork with pointless collectibles. The bosses are uninteresting being the same AOE attacks, little enemy variety, music is terrible, shrines and dungeons are both too easy and short. It just feels really boring, Like they tried to do Zelda 1 without understanding that the game worked because every screen wasIt feels like i'm playing some crappy version of minecraft. It's all mindless busywork with pointless collectibles. The bosses are uninteresting being the same AOE attacks, little enemy variety, music is terrible, shrines and dungeons are both too easy and short. It just feels really boring, Like they tried to do Zelda 1 without understanding that the game worked because every screen was interesting and filled with stuff to do. I felt like I was exploring a vast open world more playing Wind waker. While wind waker had nothing to do at sea BOTW just feels like busywork. exploration isn't rewarding and the game in general isn't interesting. Its just so bland. Good for kids who don't buy many games and like to put lots of time into something to really get their monies worth, but for everyone else it's far from a must play. And the switch version is nearly identical to the WIIU so it's not a killer app. Here's hoping mario odyssey will be better Expand
  22. Mar 5, 2017
    One thing we've all learned today. No matter how "respectible" a gaming website/magazine claims to be they all swoon and crumble over that unmerited, nostalgia-blighted, might of Nintendo. Zelda is a by-the-numbers RPG, nothing new, nothing special. Its quests are simple and dull, the story is average 90's kiddy Nintendo rubbish. Combat feels realy old. This is not modern, not new, its forOne thing we've all learned today. No matter how "respectible" a gaming website/magazine claims to be they all swoon and crumble over that unmerited, nostalgia-blighted, might of Nintendo. Zelda is a by-the-numbers RPG, nothing new, nothing special. Its quests are simple and dull, the story is average 90's kiddy Nintendo rubbish. Combat feels realy old. This is not modern, not new, its for people trapped in a 90's/2000's time-warp. This is 2017 ffs! I've been gaming since the micro computers of the 80's and I can tell you that this is definitely money for old rope. Now, did Nintendo buy good reviews? Probably not. But there are other ways to ensure great reviews than buying them (like Bathesda holding back future review copies to some websites?) Be nice or you'll miss out.... something's definitely amiss with all these "masterpiece" reviews. This game isn't a masterpiece. Its just another open world RPG... yes, yet another. Expand
  23. Mar 4, 2017
    This game is very flawed!

To quote a famous metacritic user. "Zelda has been died for years it was almost died when I was 6 and right now I am 10"(BryanM.) In recent years people have been hyping the return of the dying Zelda franchise. with recent release of this game many calling this best game of all time. i am here to give my opinion. if this game released maybe 10 years ago
    This game is very flawed!

if this game released maybe 10 years ago than possibly could be considered decent. but now with rising popularity of modern open world games this feels outdated. menus pathetically clunky and slow , frame rate drops at levels worse than sonic 06, gameplay the same as previous titles in series. the hole game is outdated. probably because of the multiyear delays that have effected this titles release.

for example,, in modern openworld games like minecraft menus are quite easy to navegate around. in games like fallout 4 gameplay is deep and varied, and skyrim has very content filled world.

positives-
    - feels like zelda.
    - the old guys beard looks cool.
    - overworld is big (can be considered a negative thing)
    Thats pretty much it....
    Cons-
    - overworld is empty
    - plot is barebones generic
    -graphics are ps2 quality.
    -puzzles are simple and bland
    - content locked behind paywalls.
    - interesting mechanics are instead tedius
    -HUGE framerates drops throughout the ENTIRE game.
    -music is forgettable unlike.

overall this title is incompetent and overrated. just wait for the skyrim switch port.
  24. Mar 6, 2017
    Absolutely boring open-world, bad graphics and textures frankly low resolution (I understand that this is nintendo, but now is a year 2017, not 2005), dialogs are only text, without voice acting, which completely ruins the immersion in the game. Very, very banal story. I bet zero because many people mold the game to the top ten, which it clearly does not deserve. A maximum of 6-6,5 ...
  25. Mar 3, 2017
    I was really looking forward the next Zelda game, but after 15 hours i can't play anymore.
    The game is a boring average of every open world game released in the past five years (Far Cry, MGSV, ASC)
    I found no unique or especially fun features that would make me want to keep coming back, you have done everything in this game a hundred times before in other games and BOTW does not keep them exciting.
    The combat is very repetitive you can use these gimmicky ways to dispatch random groups of enemies but there is really no point and it gets old very fast. The story is ok, for a game that wants to take zelda in a new direction though it was very similar to every other game in the series. There is a little meat in the dungeons but they alone won't take you very long. The English voice acting sounds off and out of place, but the Japanese dub is supposed to sound tolerable, the music overall is decent but goes for mostly atmospheric music, there are no new themes that get stuck in your head. Graphically the game is poor, i can't be amazed at the "beauty" of the world if the world is only being rendered for 10 metres, there were many times where the game would freeze for a second or two in intense combat situations and i am not really a fan of the cell shaded style, but i suppose Nintendo really had no choice working off a hideously under-powered system as ever.
    So overall i would not recommend to Zelda fans, maybe to people who buy games just for open world but not me. after buying every other game in the Zelda series, i am upset that they have ruined my favorite game series, this game had real potential but just isn't fun.
  26. Mar 3, 2017
    Im playing the game and im simply not enjoying it so far. I also dont understand why people are giving either 10 score reviews or 1 score reviews just to troll or be a fanboy. I guess thats what happens when people hate/love nostalgia based games.
  27. Mar 7, 2017
    Very overrated game. The gameplay is very basic and childish, the story is short and the game has performance issues at very low resolution and graphical quality. Very disappointed by this game, it was a waste of my money.
  28. Mar 4, 2017
    Having put about 30 hours into the game I have to say this game is massively overrated, On my second run I found out you could skip all the way to the end in about 40 to 50 mns without any consequences, I find this to be a big flaw in the game, also at various points I found the game to be totally unplayable since frame-rates drop so bad the game stops to a halt, big open world for aHaving put about 30 hours into the game I have to say this game is massively overrated, On my second run I found out you could skip all the way to the end in about 40 to 50 mns without any consequences, I find this to be a big flaw in the game, also at various points I found the game to be totally unplayable since frame-rates drop so bad the game stops to a halt, big open world for a zelda game but once you get to area you saw from a distance the textures where plain and boring, most of the open world is empty or you find very little to do, I find it very hard to believe this game even got a 98 by critics in the first place. Expand
  29. Mar 4, 2017
    I am totally disappointed. The Switch is a cool Console, but this Game is not - unfortunately there is only 2 more games for Switch around - mmmeehhhh.
    The pace of the game is suuuuper slow. It totally lacks all the great music and atmosphere of other Zelda Games (like my favorite: Ocarina of time).
    Graphics is a matter of liking, but too me it is Nintendo 64 on steroids, but sure nothing i expect in 2017.
    All in all it is a game for those always living in the past and therefor like Retro Games. I live today and tomorrow and surely do not enjoy this Zelda at all.
    Just hope my Switch gets some great Games soon.
    This open world thing never helps to tel a good story in a decent pace. Wrong choice for this Game in my opinion. If you like it, good for you.
    I would love to see a new Luigis Mansion or F-Zero or Pikmin, but with the feel of 2017.
  30. Apr 22, 2017
    Really bad game. Poor story. Many bug and glitches. They shoul work on this game at least one more year and then it would be good I supose. Waste potential.
  31. Mar 6, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Generic boring game, Walk into an area, a bunch of low definition stuff happens, then you follow some marker by running for 10 mins, spend 5 minutes killing a boring enemy, and repeat. Expand
  32. Mar 3, 2017
    Game overrated, no story, bad graphics, clumsy gameplay, bad enemies, little history.

Same fkin game as the WiiU Version.... there's no difference either graphics nor gameplay.
  33. Mar 4, 2017
    20 FPS or less in dock mode @ 1080p... WTF Nintendo!! 350USD?? Is not optimized, is slow, takes a long time to load... the game is not perfect, bad experience!!!!!
  34. Mar 4, 2017
    Very disappointed and returning game after 8 hours of play. maybe young children will like it but I just could not keep playing the oversimplified quests and puzzles as the game holds your hand throughout. no decisions or strategy involved.
  35. Mar 4, 2017
    El zelda por lo que yo vi tiene un mapa muy grande pero esta muy vacío, como que le falta mas vida, mas animales, aves, más enemigos, esta todo demasiado separado y queda mucho espacio libre, no es estable tiene bajadas de fps, gráficamente no es la gran cosa. Dudo mucho que sea el mejor juego del año como dicen alguno y las notas que les ponen todas las review son exageradas, se nota queEl zelda por lo que yo vi tiene un mapa muy grande pero esta muy vacío, como que le falta mas vida, mas animales, aves, más enemigos, esta todo demasiado separado y queda mucho espacio libre, no es estable tiene bajadas de fps, gráficamente no es la gran cosa. Dudo mucho que sea el mejor juego del año como dicen alguno y las notas que les ponen todas las review son exageradas, se nota que estan compradas, no podes ponerle semejante nota cuando el juego no se la merece, sólo porque se llama zelda le ponen esas notas y no le critican nada, si fuera otro juego le darían con todo. Expand
  36. Mar 3, 2017
    I am submitting my third review of this after nearly 14 hours of gameplay, and have decided to change my vote again to a zero, and I will explain.

This game in enthralling to begin, the idea of link in an open world is amazing, but it does get a little bit inconsequential after you get the glider, and outside of purposefully looking for little hidden things (that arent that hidden) I dont really find much of a use in travelling the vast plains or exploring the nooks and crannies of a valley. It's a lot of looting small things of value and killing easy enemies.

I dont want to spoil much else, and there are some slightly new and cool mechanics to be found. These, however, dont touch the other issues.

The FPS drops are massive. And I mean massive.

May be a good game to grab down the road, but unless you're a hardcore zelda fan, this isnt worth the 390 youll spend on the Switch and this game. Sorry folks.
  37. Mar 3, 2017
    Game overrated, no story, bad graphics, clumsy gameplay, bad enemies, little history, many secondary missions inecesarias, very repetitive missions, very few weapons, few costumes, open world and little interaction. I do not recommend it, disappointing.
  38. Mar 3, 2017
    I was looking forward to this "game". But, omg, I can't play this anymore. It's so boring. Only 4 same dungeons. Nintendo, please, stop making 1.5 games for u'r consoles. And stop paying for positive reviews. It's so sad.
  39. Mar 3, 2017
    Bad enough that there are fps drops on the Wii U version, but having a new console release in 2017 where the fps for a game with these visuals can drop below 20 fps, hard to enjoy an amazing story and world when your eyes are constantly being disturbed which breaks immersion.
  40. Mar 3, 2017
    What a pathetic game. Weapon menu is so pathetic and outdated. The world is super empty and there is literally nothing to do. The story is also a big mehhh, and the characters are recycled old Zelda characters.
  41. Mar 5, 2017
    Mi experiencia personal ha sido poco satisfactoria, puesto que venía de un elevado nivel de emoción y hype debido a los trailers de Nintendo. Pero todo se quedó en una mera ilusión.

La música ambiental ha sido realmente sosa, lejos quedaron los OST de Lost Woods o Dark World, ahora es simplemente música de piano deconstruída. La historia es realmente sencilla con personajes blandos y

La historia es realmente sencilla con personajes blandos y olvidables. He visto películas porno con mayor trama argumental que en este juego.

Mi recomendación personal es que si buscáis un mundo abierto, este no es un juego óptimo, puesto que el mundo se siente vacío.

Un saludo desde España.
  42. Mar 3, 2017
    Si este juego se llamase "Las aventuras de Paco el intrepido" habria pasado por alto sin gloria ni pena, sin embargo, se llama Zelda, y ha sido un gran detonante en la industria estos ultimos meses.

Que no os engañen, este juego innova sino nada, poco. Eso sumado a las expectativas que tenemos todos al jugarlo de un SEÑOR ZELDA, me llevan a ponerle un 4 de nota. Sin duda un fracaso que Nintendo deberia de haber sabido hace tiempo. Los combates son repetitivos, te terminas aburriendo de andar, la energia te falta por todos los lados. En definitiva, un juego repetitivo sin muchos puntos fuertes.

Muy cegado hay que estar por los sentimientos que casi todos tenemos a esta saga para considerar esto como un juego bueno, o peor aun, como una obra maestra. Ni el soundtrack se salva.

El rendimiento por otra parte, es pobre, muy pobre, sacar una consola hecha practicamente para este juego y que no pueda aguantar 30fps a 1080p (cuando lo normal seria 60fps en estos juegos tan poco cargados de realismo)... Simplemente decepcionante.

Punto negativo para Nintendo y, de momento, para la Switch. Me vuelvo a la 3DS.
  43. Mar 3, 2017
    good things:

-epic music -grass looks great -cooking -combat on horse bad things: -framedrops -fog everywhere -its too easy -weapons lose durability too fast, bow is op -copy pasted enemies with changed colors -dlc -$360 to play zelda -nothing to do -story is too short -exploration is boring -locked content behind amiibos -Zelda's eyebrows are too manly -Link needs
    good things:

bad things:

-framedrops
    -fog everywhere
    -its too easy
    -weapons lose durability too fast, bow is op
    -copy pasted enemies with changed colors
    -dlc
    -$360 to play zelda
    -nothing to do
    -story is too short
    -exploration is boring
    -locked content behind amiibos
    -Zelda's eyebrows are too manly
    -Link needs to dress as a woman to progress in the game
  44. Mar 5, 2017
    Zelda really ought to move faster, especially on his snowboard. It's too slow and boring. Nintendo is wasting my time by making me wait for their slow animations to complete. Do they think I have all day? I don't, and I'm not about to waste what little free time I have on watching this slow character plod about in a way that only serves to artificially extend the games length.

It's also

It's also really hard to be immersed in the Zelda universe when he can climb up completely flat surfaces by grabbing non-existent hand holds. It's gotten so bad I actually have to pretend to grab the rougher bricks and act as if I will fall if I grab the flat surfaces. I shouldn't have to go to this much effort to make the game work in a realistic way.

Overall, great game ruined by some easily fixable problems. I hope you're listening, Nintendo.
  45. Mar 3, 2017
    One of the most boring games I ever played. I dont know how much did Nintendo payed to the media for all those tens but in my opinion this game may have succeeded 10 years ago, it's like 3 generations ago game.
    The open world is everything the same, boring and without anything especial.
  46. Mar 4, 2017
    Does not have BRs, graphics are outdated, I find it easier than others, game has constant losses of fps, but the story is very good is the only thing that saves in this game
  47. Mar 3, 2017
    Overrated game, boring, gamecube graphics and runs at 20fps
    The witcher 3 copycat but budget dont waste your money and better buy anohter game, this is why nintendo is over
  48. Mar 3, 2017
    Disappointing...
    I really expected more from this game, I prefer other games in the franchise, besides that visually makes me weird.
    I really hope my opinion will change over time.
  49. Jun 19, 2020
    I love this game. Truly a masterpiece. Perfection. 10/10 goty. Botw is the best game in all time for sure.
  50. Jun 30, 2020
    Got this game with my Nintendo switch as a bundle and after all the high marks it received, I was very much looking forwards to playing it. What a let-down. Boring as heck and the stupidity of breaking my sword every four hits eventually led to so much frustration that I put the game down and never regretted not playing it again.
  51. Jun 20, 2020
    SE me hace una aberración de mundo abierto hay muchas cosas por hacer, que en si no suena mal pero es exagerado y lo peor es que se repiten muchos las mismas actividades es cómo assassins creed rogué o quizás peor y peor aún son los coleccionables que no son nadas satisfactorios encontrarlos solo es una pérdida de tiempo.
  52. Jun 27, 2020
    I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. As a legend of zelda game, it fails to give me the same sense of wonder for the world and characters as other games in the series. As an open-world game, it almost feels like No Man's Sky in the sense that it's big, but with very little to do.

It is a shame, because if the developing team spent more time on designing side quests and more interesting characters, instead of focusing solely on making the world as big as possible, this would have been an amazing game the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn. I do have hope for the sequel, and really do hope they spend more time on an actual story and interesting side quests. I know a 2 may seem harsh, but that is my genuine opinion of the game.
  53. Jun 22, 2020
    The story is just the Four Divine Beasts and then Ganon. All the side-quests and shrine are tedious, unrewarding and pointless.
    The world feels empty. You can’t really affect anything, and nothing you do really matters is the game
  54. Jul 1, 2020
    +. A beautiful and colorful game.

-. repetitive gameplay. The shrines are boring. The world feels dead. The weapon-break-system made me quit playing.
  55. Jun 17, 2020
    I tried to like this game but I cannot. I like the inital exploring and walking around but after a while it gets really boring, really fast. (I'm 50 hours in) There is no sense of progression. You can do shrine quests (to get more hearts or stamina) but that gets very old after a while and there is no other way to improve those stats. If you find you don't like those shrines (like me) youI tried to like this game but I cannot. I like the inital exploring and walking around but after a while it gets really boring, really fast. (I'm 50 hours in) There is no sense of progression. You can do shrine quests (to get more hearts or stamina) but that gets very old after a while and there is no other way to improve those stats. If you find you don't like those shrines (like me) you are in for a bad time. You can also search for korok seeds to expand the inventory (which is also not very fun) or do some of the sidequest. (which are often fetch quests) The story is lackluster and you don't really get to care for the characters. The weapon system is the worst I've seen in a while - "burning" through weapons is not fun and rewarding in any way for me - you can get used to it but you'll end up not using certain cool weapons in fear they might break. This is not fun. I liked the paragliding and climbing in the game, as well some of the physics mechanics. The cooking and dyeing was cool but I missed more crafting mechanics like that, as well more armor and enemy variety. For someone who never played an open world game I could recommend it, for anybody else: be wary. Borrow it from a friend or something to see if you like it. Expand
  56. Jun 19, 2020
    Generally unenjoyable, uninspiring, empty open world with annoying so called "realistic" mechanics (weapons constantly breaking, not being able to climb on wet surfaces, not being able to remember recipes, etc etc). Lack of lineair story telling, almost feel like the total lack of story overal. Really disliked this game.
  57. Jun 19, 2020
    trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash
  58. Apr 11, 2018
    First, let me say, I have been a longtime Zelda fan. The first game was likely the second or third game I played in my life, and I have played and beaten all non-cooperative Zelda titles since. It is with a heavy heart that I now write this review, though I doubt anyone will see it. This is more for my own closure, I suppose.

I will very likely forever remember Breath of the Wild as the

I will very likely forever remember Breath of the Wild as the death of the series in my eyes. In their attempt to shake up and change where the series was headed they succeeded, without doubt. Yet, in doing so, they sacrificed so much of what it was. If this game had *not* been a Zelda game, I might have been able to forgive it so much more readily. But the fact that it is, and that it goes against just about every staple in the series, really makes me regret my purchase.

It removed dungeon items completely. It used to be that when you found a dungeon and went through it, there was an item inside. That item would usually completely reshape how you viewed the world around you. I often went back to places I'd been, filled with such a sense of satisfaction at all of the new things I could do. the new secrets I could find. Each heart piece, each tiny little side quest, permanently building forward to something more. There was a definitive sense of progression.

That progression was entirely missing from Breath of the Wild. The closest it got were outfits. Outfits with some single scenario benefit for specific situations. There were no heart pieces to be found. No items to be obtained. No world changing moments, no reason to scour the nooks and crannies and think creatively about the world around me. There were shrines, sure, and they were hidden, and they gave currency to be used on hearts or stamina. But it didn't feel the same, and really didn't even begin to have the same impact.

When silver enemies are out in the world, one hit takes something like 12 hearts in decent gear. If I have 13 hearts, or 20 hearts, it's really no different. Dead in two hits. As the world progresses with the number of orbs you have gained, it actually made me feel as though I was growing *weaker*, rather than stronger, as I went forward in the game.

The shrines themselves were little more than tiny setpieces. No cohesion to anything else, just self contained, bite sized tidbits masquerading as dungeons. This isn't what I play a Zelda for. If I want bite-sized experiences, there are games for that. TONS of games for that. Warioware exists. Hell, I personally loved the old mario party games (though emphasis on old). They were apt at providing small, varied, bite-sized chunks of gameplay. I went in knowing that, expecting that, bought them for that purpose, and enjoyed them quite well. But they aren't what I want in a Zelda.

The story and lore were next to non-present. My favorite of the series is Majora's Mask. The story was the drive to move forward. The moon was present, ever looming, the NPCs felt real, felt afraid, and it felt urgent that I save them. So much so that when I beat the game, I'd often redo all of the game's sidequests on the final run before beating the last boss, because I actively cared about the lives of the people in the game. When I left, I wanted all to be right and restored in their world.

But I found and felt none of that in Breath of the Wild. There was no imminent threat. Ganon was sealed indefinitely in his tower, the guardian beasts were safely sequestered, unable to do anything but cause mild annoyance. I never once felt a sense of urgency, which I accept was by design. But simply being intentional doesn't make it *good* or *right*. I never cared about the characters within it, and the game didn't seem to care much itself.

Memorable moments while playing the game were sparse and few as well. It's a side effect of making the game so sprawling. If a developer's attention is likened to water, it's the difference between a well and a puddle the size of a lake. Since they had to fill out everywhere, they couldn't give enough attention to anywhere in order to make it truly memorable or enjoyable. I think my most memorable moment personally was finding what I believe is the Great Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time, and seeing it cut down at the middle and covered in literal feces. I bitterly remarked that it was apt for it to exist in such a way in this game, as it really feels like that was how they felt about the series at this point.

In the end, I could continue to gripe about how the weapons breaking constantly is awful design, control or fps issues, etc, that have been harped on a thousand thousand times, but it's simply not worth it.

If this game were not a Zelda, it might have scored more highly for me. Might have been a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. But I bought it and played it expecting a Zelda, and what I got was literally less than half of what I loved about the series.
  59. Aug 13, 2019
    Is the game good ? Yes. Does the game deserve the "Best switch game" "Best zelda ever made", not at all. It's not a perfect game at all. For the record : I've done everything in the game, even the useless korok seeds ...

- Story/Quests Is there a story in it ? The story is optional, practically non-existent, and **** dialogues. The characters are empty, and the quests are more boring

- Story/Quests
    Is there a story in it ? The story is optional, practically non-existent, and **** dialogues. The characters are empty, and the quests are more boring than fun.

- Combat
    At first, I found the generic type combat system quite fun. Due to the weapon durability at the beginning of the game, we need to change the weapon quite often, so we learn to use them all. After a few hours, it's just a pain to use a low power weapon, because the nice ones are broken.
    First few hours : "Nice, new enemy type"
    After 4-5 hours of game-play, you know all the different types of enemies (10 at most), and these enemies are the same until the end of the game (and even after).
    The combats are quite easy when you learn how to use your parade on each enemy, and some of them are scary at first, but after a few hours, you are almost invincible if you know that you are doing !

Design :
    What can i say ? It's amazing, beautiful colors, no lags, perfect. If you want a game just for the design and nothing else, it's the perfect game

Puzzles(shrines) :
    After Ocarina of time, i was expecting some good puzzle games. But no ! It's a "puzzle" with a huge room and 1 big enemy, or an easy dungeon when you just need to use the skills you found in the game, that last 10 min max. Only a few of them were fun (2 shrines to do at the same times, with for info on each one to unlock the other)

What to do in the game ?
    - 4 dungeon with bosses + end boss, with almost no scenario
    - 100+ useless or easy shrine
    - a few hundreds korok seeds to find
    So, except the 4 "scenario" dungeon", that are optional and without real story, the only thing you do in the game is trying to find the small easy shrines (puzzles), and trying to find completely useless leaf under each rock etc. If you only want a nice looking game, it's perfect, but it's an over rated game with a terrible story and nothing to do except doing cartography
  60. Oct 28, 2018
    If I could fun up this game in a single sentence it would be... The developers spent their whole time making a beautifully crafted world with classic 3D Zelda combat but forgot to make the actual game. The problem with this game is, in short, that it's missing everything that makes the classic zelda games good. Dungeons? There are none. There are 4 "divine beasts" that are dungeon like,If I could fun up this game in a single sentence it would be... The developers spent their whole time making a beautifully crafted world with classic 3D Zelda combat but forgot to make the actual game. The problem with this game is, in short, that it's missing everything that makes the classic zelda games good. Dungeons? There are none. There are 4 "divine beasts" that are dungeon like, however are so short they're beaten within 15m each or less. Epic boss fights? Again there are none. The bosses of the 4 dungeons and Gannon at the end are so stupid simple. Mash attack and win. Progression of tools to help you explore? Nope. No hook shot, no boomerang (there is one as a swd replacement you can throw but it's lackluster). Pretty much all your progression is just given to you at the start. You get 4 unlocks , once each for the divine beasts but they're minimal. ..... So... What DOES this game have? A bunch of armor sets that you upgrade through a boring gring fest. A giant world to explore. A bunch of boring sidequests. A tonne of "shrines" which are essentially "pieces of hearts" or stamina (running, climbing) but the shrines are 2-5m anicdotes which tease you. A giant, beautiful world to explore. I can't say how disappointed I am with this game. I wanted to love it sooooo much, but there is no challenge, no significant puzzels, no bosses, no emotional investment in the characters. It's such a let down because there is sooooo much potential here , but , as I already said, they focused so hard making this amazing world and making the game mechanics work, they forgot to make dungeons and bosses. Expand
  61. Jan 16, 2019
    If it were possible to give a 2 word review, I'd say: "Absolutely Empty". The world feels super huge for no real purpose.

It looks ok but not that awesome, the music is decent but forgettable, plot isn't even a plot (I wouldn't even be able to spoil anything since it has absolutely no developpment, you're given a situation and it wont change), characters are walking clichés. Coming

Coming to what's supposed to be the main point of this game: exploring. It just feels purposefully limited. The game wants you to explore by not giving you any precise objectives but will also prevent you from reaching some places because, well, you're still supposed to explore specific places first. Stamina, which is supposedly made to prevent you from climbing absolutely anything, just feels like a pain when it forces you to run for 3 seconds and then walk twice as much time to get it back, everything is just SO SLOW. Don't even consider riding a horse to go faster and forget about stamina, they are terribly designed and tend to get stuck for stupid reasons, such as being near a wall. You can also drown if you swim for too long, which makes sense (even though you drown after swimming up to 50 meters but eh), so if you want to move on water, there's boats ! And of course, they're also really slow and way too large to be usable, getting stuck in weird places for no reason. Fighting is very repetitive, and since it's rarely mandatory and breaks your weapon, avoiding monsters often tends to be the best thing to do. Puzzles are designed in order to be understandable by toddlers.
    Everything in the game feels slow. Dialogue is slow (and most likely useless), reaching a place is slow, climbing is OVERLY SLOW; I even got the feeling that skipping a cinematic was slow.
    It also feels like there is too much of everything. If you hide 900 Korok seeds, it's impossible to be creative in hiding all of them. If you try to create 100 different shrines with very limited ways of resolving them, they will all feel the same. Controls aren't intuitive at all, and even menus hardly make sense. You basically have a real "menu" with your equipment, saving, etc. and a second one with the map and a page that gives information about what you've gathered. Wouldn't just having one menu with everything listed in it be easier to use? This is hard to describe but it just isn't natural when you get your hands on it.

And more importantly: There is no feel of progression through the game.

The game also has weird technical problems. I experienced FPS drops a bunch of times on a brand new Switch in Dock Mode (which sounds like the most powerful way to run this game atm), and really long loading screens.
  62. Mar 24, 2020
    I love this game so much! I would recommend this for everyone. This game is absolutely amazing
  63. Jun 18, 2019
    Had to create an account just to rate this game bad, I actually can't believe how well received it's been, the game is a dreadful entry to the series, completely destroying the feeling of playing a Zelda game, it's more like an MMO ffs. I've played Zelda since I was about 5 years old, it was my second ever game after Banjo Kazooie and have loved most of the games but I advise you to stayHad to create an account just to rate this game bad, I actually can't believe how well received it's been, the game is a dreadful entry to the series, completely destroying the feeling of playing a Zelda game, it's more like an MMO ffs. I've played Zelda since I was about 5 years old, it was my second ever game after Banjo Kazooie and have loved most of the games but I advise you to stay clear of this game unless you want to feel like your beloved game series has been sh*t all over. Skyward Sword was a step down, but with BOTW Zelda is getting worse fairly quickly, is this the beginning of the end for the once great Legend Of Zelda series? Expand
  64. Nov 16, 2018
    Un juego realmente decepcionante, como un Zelda carece de historia y puzzles caracteristicos.
  65. Jul 2, 2019
    Zelda эта игра не показала мне нечего нового - старая графическая оболочка - персонажи не ключевые при разговорах не открывают рта . Лень было анимировать персонажей в главном тайтле для нитендо - это позор.
  66. Jun 19, 2020
    It's one of the most overrated games in history, boring, ridiculous history, crafting system and disastrous combat, missing the Dungeons, the worst zelda ever
  67. Apr 17, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game isn't great. If your playing it handheld and fight more than 2 enemies during any weather condition the framerate will die so hard the game completely freezes for 1-3 seconds every time you knock an enemy on it's back.
    Speaking of enemies, there are barely any variety with the majority just being recolors. This game could have definitely benefited from creating heavy types that you had to knock armor off of with shock arrows or specific weapon types.
    Tridents are completely pointless as weapons since they take 2 hands and can't knock away shields like greatswords. The biggest problem I had was THE MASTER SWORD IS WORTHLESS. It has terrible attack and is only useful against guardians and bosses and even when it powered up it's still not strong enough and can run out of energy while glowing.
    The sacred beast dungeons aren't even dungeons, they qualify more as large shrines. Hyrule Castle is the only true dungeon with more than 3 enemies in it. Also like the enemies every boss and miniboss barring Ganon are reused, the sacred beast bosses are just the same type of phantom Ganon with slight remodeling. Calamity Ganon himself was hugely disappointing since having done all 4 "dungeons" he was easier than a standard guardian.
    Finally the story or what little there is has very little of the standard Zelda points to it like Triforce anywhere. We also never find out why the Master Sword chose Link, He just got it because.

Overall this game is empty, overhyped and overall forgettable. I could easily see all mention of Zelda lore being removed and it being packaged as another game. I doubt I'll ever come back to it now that I beat it and assume it will be the same for a lot of other people who played it. Probably the only thing I'll remember about this game is Prince Sidon and the quest to get into Gerudo town.
  68. Dec 18, 2017
    Is this a good game? I guess it is for fans of open world games. Is it a good Zelda game? I don't think so.

I discovered Zelda with Ocarina of Time and played every games on home consoles. I buy Nintendo consoles because of Zelda games. I bought a Switch because of Zelda and skipped the WiiU because of the lack of it. I was very worried when I learned that BOTW would be an open world

I was very worried when I learned that BOTW would be an open world games because I I'm not a fan of such games. I liked GTAV and Red Dead Redemption single player campaigns, but I like them because of their story and because of the funny random/not-so-random encounters that made to game feel alive.

You won't find random encounters in BOTW, aside from wandering and tedious ninjas who tries to kill you. Other annoying things are: breakable weapons, lack of the traditional Link's tunic, collectibles-tied slot expansion system (tied to 400+ hidden collectibles), lack of traditional dungeons replaced by soul-less shrines (which are hidden), lack of proper story, empty world, etc.

Honestly, I don't understand how that game got Game of the Year... What is so special about it? It's a glorified and bonified corporate game jam game.
  69. May 2, 2017
    Once you start playing this game it looks beautiful and so open. The world is amazing with tons of things to do. Then around the 3-5 hour mark you realize that when you look deeper into the game that it's literally garbage. It's nothing but a Farcry/Darksouls mutation with a Zelda skin. After going through about 10 weapons in 10 minutes of gameplay you begin to wonder what where theyOnce you start playing this game it looks beautiful and so open. The world is amazing with tons of things to do. Then around the 3-5 hour mark you realize that when you look deeper into the game that it's literally garbage. It's nothing but a Farcry/Darksouls mutation with a Zelda skin. After going through about 10 weapons in 10 minutes of gameplay you begin to wonder what where they thinking when they designed this?
    The after going to the 100th shrine wondering where is my reward? Oh, was it the rusty shield or the broadsword in the chest? Wait, but, that's going to break in a few hits.. I noticed a pattern here.. I've been grinding shrines/towers, and breaking weapons and all this time.. I have nothing to show for it.. Every once in awhile you will get a piece of armor that gives some resistance or swim speed or something to that effect, but they don't really help much.
    Oh and, don't bother trying to do the story from the start... get ready to grind shrines until you have a ton of spirit orbs to get more hearts and stamina or you will be having a heck of a time dying over and over again in the most frustrating ways.
    Many of the features in the game are just terrible.
    The breaking of weapons leaves you with the feeling of no rewards. No way to be attached to your gear and feel like you are progressing into a hero once again awoken from slumber.
    The stop time ability is very frustrating to line up your shots and using it will break your weapons and I have wasted many on it, and if you think you can use a tree branch to launch a stone ball 100 yrs think again.
    The controls seem clunky at times, having to quick switch weapons constantly during a fight or pause the game to eat, sometimes I wish they would have make a slot to put a healing item to just press it and heal instead of pausing, going to the food section then picking something the resuming. It just isn't very fluid and breaks combat. At times you will just die before you can get it paused and do the whole eating in the middle of a fight routine.
    The towers remind me too much of FarCry.. the repetitive cutscenes and grinding just got boring after the 10th tower and 40th shrine..
    Oh and did I mention the breaking of weapons? lol, They say you can parry a Guardians laser back at them and do damage.. what they don't tell you is it breaks your shield lol, so get ready to have a few shields broken fighting one.
    Many people have said they just avoid combat altogether because of this mechanic. I myself began doing this. The game became even more boring after that, just running from shrine to shrine, tower to tower, to get orbs to get more health because I was unable to do the story without grinding for hours.. it's a beautiful world that surrounds the Calamity Ganon of a game.
  70. Apr 2, 2017
    Both Nichegamer and Jim Sterling wrote better reviews, than I ever could and I agree with them. Game is nice, enjoyable and perfect for mobile/portable exp. But as a triple-a game, feels underdeveloped (5 years of dev cycle gives empty world and generic same dungeons?), full of performance issues (how 1st party game of hardware developer could have performance drops?) and questionableBoth Nichegamer and Jim Sterling wrote better reviews, than I ever could and I agree with them. Game is nice, enjoyable and perfect for mobile/portable exp. But as a triple-a game, feels underdeveloped (5 years of dev cycle gives empty world and generic same dungeons?), full of performance issues (how 1st party game of hardware developer could have performance drops?) and questionable gameplay decisions (to-much-break-items, obstruction by rain and cold etc.). Hailing it as second coming of Jesus will only damage game press and developer's names in long term. It's a decent arpg with ubisoft style open world. At least now Nintendo console got one too. It might be only one on switch, if cdprojekt don't bring Witcher to it. Expand
  71. Jan 2, 2018
    Awful Story, lack of difficulty, no satisfaction when totally annihilating all the bosses, at some moments frame rates drop, and along with too easy shrines. Also for the shrines and bosses, WTF is this????
  72. Apr 1, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's get the good points out of the way. The game is visually stunning. Throw around "900p" and "cartoony graphics" all you like but artistically styled games always outshine realism, especially in the long run. Next is the open world. It's big... impressively big. So big that whenever I try to describe it I always fail to do it justice. This for me is easily the best thing about the game and should be held as the new standard for open world games in the future. However an open world experience is only as good as the content that brings the world to life, and in the case of Breath of the Wild we find that Hyrule is as good as empty. There's no fun in exploring if there's nothing to discover now is there?

Stumbling across and getting into scuffles with new enemies is fun for a while but ends abruptly when you realise the handful of early game encounters are copy and pasted throughout the entire world (albeit with a few recolourings to establish a power increase). Then there's the shrines. Gone are the staple Zelda dungeons and in exchange we are given 120 shrines, each containing a single puzzle. None of them take any longer than 5 minutes and using the word puzzle is giving them far too much credit. In fact, several don't even contain any puzzle because climbing the small hill to the entrance was "challenge enough." The most difficult shrine I encountered involved using motion controls along with an awful camera angle to solve a ball and maze puzzle, and even this could be cheesed by flipping your controller upside to get rid of the maze aspect. The challenge comes clunky controls rather than good game design. If it weren't for the eventual reward of either an extra Heart Container or Stamina Vessel then I wouldn't have even bothered to complete them. There are quite a few side quests to pick up along your journey but they are never anything more than errand boy tasks, most of which go completely unrewarded, so collecting 55 of a certain kind of mushroom or dispatching a group of enemies was nothing but a waste of time. It would've been nice to have some story arcs delivered across multiple side quests but with the exception of one quest in which you help a man to build a town, all side quests are completely independent of each other. Another tiny complaint would be with the performance issues. The game tries to run at 30fps but right from the get go sees regular dips to as low as 15fps. This starts out as very annoying but as the game goes on I found myself noticing it less frequently. Maybe the starting area is just a little more demanding or maybe I just got used to it as time went on.

I've not got a lot to say about the main quests. There are only 15 of them and most of them are dished out in your first few hours. Essentially your objective is simply to defeat Ganon. There are the four Divine Beasts that can be reclaimed along the way but there's nothing too exciting about any of them. They're not even a requirement and if anything make your inevitable final fight too easy. In order to gain access to them you need to complete your usual errand boy tasks for the local residents and participate in what is best described as a mini game. Once inside, each Divine Beast houses it's own gimmick to help you access a number of terminals allowing you to regain control and is then finished up with a very easy boss battle. It's certainly a way to kill time and gives a little insight into Link's past with the associated cut-scenes but they're nothing to get excited by.

What disappoints me most with Breath of the Wild is the wasted potential. I can't help but feel this amazing world could be put to much better use. The game doesn't feel like a Zelda game anymore. Why couldn't Nintendo have just given us a brand new IP? An open world of this standard would be far better suited to an RPG. It just feels like the Zelda name has been slapped on to secure some extra sales, severely limiting the games boundaries as a result.
  73. Jan 3, 2018
    its more or less a new rpg whit zelda slapped on to it. dont see the big deal this game have become. it got decent gameplay. not that much lore as all ran an say. it got alot of slow down during gameplay. breaks immerse.
  74. May 18, 2018
    So i recently bought a switch, and I am a Zelda fan. And after I've seen the critic reviews, I thought, it must be good then. I'm sure some zelda fans probably loves this reboot, but to me it just isn't that good. To me, they changed it for the worse. I mean, at least they try to innovate, but i guess they can't please everybody. I don't know if most of the red scores are trolls, or peopleSo i recently bought a switch, and I am a Zelda fan. And after I've seen the critic reviews, I thought, it must be good then. I'm sure some zelda fans probably loves this reboot, but to me it just isn't that good. To me, they changed it for the worse. I mean, at least they try to innovate, but i guess they can't please everybody. I don't know if most of the red scores are trolls, or people who feel the same way as me. I really hoped I would love this new Zelda, but it is what it is. at least, I'm looking quite forward to Mario Tennis Expand
  75. Jun 22, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ok lets start with the possitives....That didn`t take long..What a bad game..Really its so boring that after the first houri wanted to kill myself..its so bad that make other games look so good like paper mario for example.. Expand
  76. Apr 3, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Legend of Zelda game is a great game if you have never played any other Zelda game before it. As a veteran Zelda player the game is very weak and is the most unZelda like game in the series, but we will get into that.

First lets start with what the game does very well.

1) Environment - It is beautiful and expansive. There is literally no where you cant go. You can climb up strait walls and across great valleys. There are no invisible walls (except map borders). There are secrets around almost every corner.

2)Combat - Beautiful flow between swings and dodges. Lock on works wonders. Bow and arrows are a tough but rewarding weapon to master.

3)Citizens - The people of the world are the most colorful of the series. They have so much to say and they bring the world to life. There are countless numbers of them. Its great.

From here on are the negatives. Most of which are Zelda title inconsistencies and annoyances.

1)The Master Sword and Hyrule Shield - They have to be found and earned, which is fine, but they BREAK?! Why does a sword and shield that has lasted a millennia, designed to strike down pure evil, and magical break?

2)Tunics - There is ONE. and its blue! and you can only get it after completing every single shrine. To little to late. The only other tunics you can get are amiibo collectibles. Which are basically in game cheats.

3)Ganon - why does it have to be some strange bull mist. Cant we have another original bad guy. So many other Zelda titles dont have Ganon at all.

4) Dungeons - There are NONE.....the things they call dungeons in this game are shrines. They are five minute challenges. You can figure out almost every one of them as soon as you come down the elevator. These are a cheap cop out to the notoriously difficult dungeons typically found in the series.

5)Sheikah Slate - apparently Link has a cell phone now. You have gps, camera, photo gallery, way points, apps, and firmware updates. This set of features should be stripped from the game entirely.

- The apps (i call them superpowers) are infinite. There is no magic bar to restrict over use. There is no logical reason as to why link has any of them. There is no backstory to the individual powers. The power to lift any size metal object with ease used to be confined to an object called the power bracelet. Which no longer exists. The ability to stop time feels forced. In any other title you would have unlocked such a power after ten plus hours. not one or less hours. Bombs used to grow in the ground. and Ice blocks are unnecessary. They all feel like they were late game development tack ons to make the player feel more powerful.
    - The camera - This is another feature that is handed to you, not earned. Its mostly used for dinky side missions that require more than one photo from multiple angles to be able to complete it. It also has an enormous photo album. No more getting your photos processed, no more limited album sizes, no more upgrades, and once again no more backstory.
    -GPS - the map is grand and expansive. Yet it is littered with way points and points of interest. Why cant we have just a town teleport and nothing else on the map. Instead everything is given to you and i feel no real challenge navigating the great supposedly wild terrain.
    -Shiekah Shrine Indicator - easily the most annoying thing in the game. The thing constantly beeps in your face like crying navi. All there needs to be is a mute option for the thing. Instead when im shrine hunting i end up muting the whole game. Simply because a few shrines are on cliff sides and it will beep beep your mind away for the twenty minutes your climbing from cliff to cliff.

6) Enemies - Some are a good homage to the series, but others feel unnatural. Since when are there robot octopus turrets? or centaurs? and instead of making more bad looking baddies they just change the color to determine the difficulty. LAME. Even their outposts are the same skull in the ground from one side of the map to the other.

7)The Korok seeds - another example of a tacked on feature. You can often find them in obvious places, They are very simple to complete, and pose almost no real value to the game except the characters themselves.

8)Timeline - This game is probably on a new time stream all by itself. Making connections to several parallel Hyrules at once. Good luck trying to figure out where it goes.

9) Sheikah Tech - Has never existed before. It feels very alien with all the ugly glowing towers, bland environments, squiggly symbols, and steampunk armor. Its unnatural to the series.

10) Wild - I have never felt like i was trying to survive. Nor does the environment make you scream help im lost. So why have it in the title?

In the end this is a fun game to play. But its downfalls put it at the bottom of my list of favorite Zelda games. Which is unfortunate.
  77. May 24, 2017
    I am going to start by saying I love Zelda games! LTTP is my fav. I completed LBW as well and loved that game. I enjoyed Wind Waker as well. This game was a huge let down though. I was so looking forward to it that we even drove around the city trying to find a copy of it.
    This game does not deserve any praise, it is below average and unmemorable. It is a mash up of other games and does not do anything amazing that we have not seen before.

Graphics:
    As this is a port from a next gen console the graphics look terrible. The frame rate sucks. Often freezing during the combat and in towns . The animation style is down to opinion but i didn't like it. A Black horse for example is just one shade of Black so makes it look extremely 2D.

Sound:
    There is barely any music. The music they did use is okay but just makes the empty world feel truly empty.
    The voice acting just seems added in as a last thought as it is only used sparingly. It is terrible so maybe that was a good thing. Every time i heard Zelda speak (or should I say whine) i cringed.

Story:
    What story? There are just a ton of cringe worthy flashbacks. A good game has a strong story that dictates the game. The game developers tried to pass this game off as "hey do what you want" as if that was a good thing but I think that was just them running out of time and hence the reason there is a new story coming in DLC. It is really another money grab. The game should have come with a story.

Game play:
    Key word here is repetitive. If you love repetitive open world games with easy combat like Minecreaft you will love this.
    The over world is empty unless you like repeating the same things over and over for no reward.
    The side quests are total crap. Just run and fetch quests again for rewards that are just generic rubbish you can normally find anywhere.
    We completed all 120 shrines in this game, never got stuck and there is nothing memorable about any of them. They are all largely the same thing with the same skills you earn straight away in the game. It is extremely boring and repetitive to find and complete them all although some of them are hidden quite well. By the end I realized the chests weren't worth getting in the shrines (oh look a piece of topaz you can get by just hitting a rock on the mountain) and that we were just wasting our time.
    I played with my daughter who is 14 and by her own admission she sucks at videos games. She completed all the bosses by herself, no issues. The bosses are cookie cutter, nothing memorable about any of them. I wonder if they purposely dumbed these down for the minecraft generation it looks like they were looking to attract? There are no dungeons. The beasts are just bigger versions of the shrines.
    Ganon barely features. You can go fight him whenever you want but apart from that he is not seen anywhere else. He was incredibly easy for my daughter to beat. She didn't die once.
    The supposed strongest monsters, Lynels and Guardians, are easy to defeat. There is a hard mode you can purchase but who wants to waste more money?
    There are barely any monsters in this huge open world, just palette swaps of the same creatures. The chests aren't worth bothering with as there is nothing interesting to find that you can't find elsewhere. The koroks seeds again just the same repetitive puzzles. The towns are small and sell exactly the same items. You really do not care about any of the characters either as they have no depth.
    The climbing is cool apart from when it is raining. There just is no point to the rain apart to frustrate you. The glider can be fun at first as well but soon becomes tiresome.
    The need to survive the elements is also quite annoying as you have to keep switching out your armour. Just seems pointless as you break game play each time to switch out your armour.
    Same goes for weapons breaking. We ended up just using the Master Sword the majority of the time and even that has a cool down period. Part of the excitement about an RPG type game where you find loot is collecting the games best weapons. This makes them into consumables and in the end you stop bothering to even open chests as its usually only rubbish anyway. As mentioned earlier the same goes for the chests in the Shrines. The Shines are just to get an extra heart piece that you do not really even need.

Verdict:
    This game is like Minecraft with Zelda branding. I believe it was rushed out as well to make the release date for the Switch. The over world is empty unless you want to mine rocks and find food ala Minecraft. The base camps are exactly the same thing. Slash at the same creatures, get a crummy chest, rinse and repeat.
    This game is not fit to lace Link to the Past or Ocarina of times boots. This is just a crummy kids open world game that has had a Zelda face over to help it sell. This game isn't even close to being a classic and should not be mentioned in the same breath as those games.
  78. Dec 17, 2017
    Mostly boring. No story, no characters, no zelda items, just one big boring world with either a chest, a korok seed or a shrine to find. Nothing else. A few boring sidequests maybe.
  79. May 15, 2018
    Jesus Christ, where to start. So I’m not a big fan of this game, which you probably can tell by my review. Zelda breath of the wild has some of the worst story I’ve ever seen. I did quite enjoy the old ones, but for some reason, it’s not the case with this one. And why is it always the same story over and over again Nintendo? Where’s the innovation. This game has a lot of issues, and IJesus Christ, where to start. So I’m not a big fan of this game, which you probably can tell by my review. Zelda breath of the wild has some of the worst story I’ve ever seen. I did quite enjoy the old ones, but for some reason, it’s not the case with this one. And why is it always the same story over and over again Nintendo? Where’s the innovation. This game has a lot of issues, and I truly hope the next Zelda will surprise me in a better way. What I like about Nintendo is that they take their time with their exclusive. But they really took some poorly choices, how to make this game Expand
  80. Apr 13, 2018
    Absolute garbage, a huge open world with nothing to do, boring game play, bad graphics and bad story thats been told a 100 times before, games released over ten years like morrowind has more to do in the world than this.
  81. Mar 6, 2017
    Really look uninspired and rushed to hit the stores. Another average title from a classic franchise which has been milked till last drop of milk. Is easy for a normal videogame fan who has been follow this for the last 30 years to understand that. Same way nintendo helped revigorate a stuck industry with innovated ideias on their games, they are know doing kinda the same the old 70sReally look uninspired and rushed to hit the stores. Another average title from a classic franchise which has been milked till last drop of milk. Is easy for a normal videogame fan who has been follow this for the last 30 years to understand that. Same way nintendo helped revigorate a stuck industry with innovated ideias on their games, they are know doing kinda the same the old 70s companies were back then: being stuck on their comfort zone. Expand
  82. Oct 30, 2017
    It's hard to find anything positive to say about this game. If the horrific frame rate and frame dips (I've had 5-10 fps in some cases) and eye ripping aliasing aren't enough to put you off, then the rest of the game's flaws certainly will.

The gameplay is incredibly stale and unchallenging. Most of your time is spent awkwardly travelling between different shrines to complete "puzzles". I put puzzles in quotations because if you managed to get past kindergarten then you will have no problem "solving" these. One of the most difficult things in the game is trying to manage and guide a ball to a socket with frustrating and poorly designed motion controls. Due to how easy the game is, you don't feel any sense of accomplishment (unless you are rather stupid and easily pleased, which is fine, we all have our opinions) and this is the game's biggest downfall. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating. A paid reviewer, a reviewer too scared to give the game a rating below a 9.9 because of peer pressure and expectation or a reviewer giving the game a 10/10 to justify their purchase will not weight this huge negative into their review score.

Music is one of the biggest and most underrated parts of a video game. Sometimes people like a game and don’t even realise that the music is a big reason why. I’m sad to say that the music in Breath of The Wild is incredibly disappointing, unforgettable and pales in comparison to the music from games like Ocarina of Time. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating.

The main storyline is nothing special and struggles to excite. This is partly due to most of the game being about visiting silly shrine “puzzles”, taking the focus and immersion of the main story away from the gamer. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating.

The controls can, at times, feel unsmooth and a chore to pilot. For example, riding a horse can be frustrating when your horse takes 5 seconds to recover every time it hits an invisible or non-obvious barrier. Getting around the map also becomes tiresome and boring due to the emptiness between objectives. The game tries to fill in these empty gaps by providing filler content like allowing players to make food such as a fragrant mushroom sauté. Sounds awesome right? Maybe, but it isn’t awesome. There is very little difference between certain foods and the game would have been better off having fewer options when it comes to making recipes. The abundance of options is merely a way to create an illusion of content and only serves to add an unnecessary amount of confusion to the game. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating.

As I said, it’s hard to find anything positive to say about this game. The art of the game is fantastic, but is unfortunately spoiled by the poor frame rate and aliasing. The opening is fairly captivating, but the story soon becomes uninteresting and is pushed aside by boring shrine puzzle gameplay. The only thing that kept me engaged in the game was the hope that it would become exciting, but it never did.

Overall I found the game to be extremely disappointing. I am usually very careful of positive reviews, but given that this game had such a high critic rating I decided to try it. It only showed me how bad and unreliable reviews are nowadays. Given that the game is below average, I'm giving it a below average rating. Don't fall into the trap of trusting these 10/10 reviews. They are blinded by hype and peer pressure, are too scared to give it an honest rating and aren’t taking into consideration any of the game’s flaws, and believe me, it has many.
  83. Aug 8, 2018
    Highly disappointing. Puzzles are way too simple, enemy variety is non existent, no one asked for weapons breaking, story was made out to be a huge thing in trailers etc and then was just totally non existent when you play the game. By having all runes available from start it barely feels like you're making any meaningful progress - the only things are shrines and korok seeds. Once you getHighly disappointing. Puzzles are way too simple, enemy variety is non existent, no one asked for weapons breaking, story was made out to be a huge thing in trailers etc and then was just totally non existent when you play the game. By having all runes available from start it barely feels like you're making any meaningful progress - the only things are shrines and korok seeds. Once you get a few decent weapons/shields/bows and the master sword both of these things are irrelevant as the cooking system is incredibly unbalanced making having more hearts mean nothing other than them being a requirement to get the master sword, and more inventory space, while nice, isn't worth looking for 900 seeds only to get nothing worthwhile at the end. Bosses are easily the worst in the entire series, especially the final boss which barely even makes any attempt at attacking you. It just sits there taking a beating, occasionally shooting a laser in front of itself, not even a laser aimed at you. Characters were boring or annoying, dungeons (divine beasts) were boring and all recycled the same theme as the shrines and the same puzzles as the other divine beasts. World is totally unrealistic, can go from stormy mountains to rainforest with no attempts at blending anything - it just feels like everything was thrown wherever it could fit. To its credit though, the combat system itself is quite easily the best in any 3d zelda game; its just a shame there's nothing worth using this combat system against. Expand
  84. Feb 27, 2019
    I’ve loved Zelda since I was a kid and I was very eager to try out this new title.
    It REALLY pains me to write the following, it’s like being heart broken. I have no hope Nintendo will listen and I know I’d be downvoted into oblivion but I’ll write anyway.

If I had to find a word to denote this game, that would be “tedious”. How can we accomplish the goal of making this game as tedious as possible?

First we can make a massive empty slow-paced open world. It takes an endless amount of time to traverse this, walking, running, on horse doesn’t matter. Then of course swimming, climbing etc all have to be tedious, with that stamina bar, which in Skyward Sword was almost bearable because the world was smaller but here it is not.

Then we can make everything dependent on cooking and selling, so you are forced to collect stuff and always stop to cook (long gone is the beautiful grass with rupees and hearts...).

Then (at least at the beginning) enemies, even low tier ones are very very dangerous and can one hit kill you. So you’ll see the game over screen again and again, and you’ll have to start over. More tediousness.

Don’t get me started on the rain which forces you to put down the controller and wait until it goes away.

Then we have no dungeons. Yes I know that this is not a major gripe but still, dungeons were unique and challenging places which were part of any great Zelda game, it really makes no sense they were removed completely.

Then there’s the story...well, I get that Zelda should not be a literary masterpiece but after so many years perhaps we can get something more elaborate than what we see here. Past games like Twilight Princess or Majora’s Mask did it so why can’t this one?

The music? Well, do you remember all those memorable songs from Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakening etc? None of that is here.

All of this, maybe just maybe, I might have been able to forgive. But of course it couldn’t stop there.
    We have to make all weapons and gear breakable after a few swings.
    This completely kills for me any sense of progression and it makes fighting a chore to the point that I would rather avoid altogether.

It seems this game was designed for people who have hundreds of free hours to play a game and like to stare at digital landscapes. Unfortunately that person is not me and if the next Zelda game follows this template I will sadly have to skip it.
  85. Nov 29, 2017
    the game is just tedious open world busy work with a lack luster story; exciting combat punctuated by pausing every 3 minutes to change weapons, It had allot of potential but they blew it. I am disappointed in this installment in the franchise.
  86. May 26, 2017
    Boring open world, bad controls, bad combat, hardly any story telling, hardly any voice acting and awful mini dungeons. The game doesnt care about your time. You run around in a boring and to find mini dungeons, which arent rewarding at all. Do not buy a switch for this.
  87. May 12, 2018
    Zelda, by way of Ubisoft.

This feels like Farcry tried to be Zelda. It has a lot of the quirky Zelda things, it has the art design, it has the characters, but there's things that are deeply wrong. For starters, there's no dungeons. They've removed them, as far as I can tell and I'm like four hours in. No dungeon, in a Zelda game. Instead, what they've done is cut everything away from
    Zelda, by way of Ubisoft.

For starters, there's no dungeons. They've removed them, as far as I can tell and I'm like four hours in. No dungeon, in a Zelda game. Instead, what they've done is cut everything away from them, except puzzle room, and turn them into shrines.

No bossfights, no thematic change to them, no new opportunities from finding new items or completing them. Every shrine is essentially the same and there's 42 of them, so far they have all ended the same way and only two have had me do anything more complex than a physics puzzle and that was just memorize their floors and teleport back to sort them. Also these two are on the way before you unlock the camera, so I had to go online and cheat the floor pattern, because I messed one of them up. Greaaat game design.

Speaking of the slate, now instead of new items and abilities and everything that was to the Zelda experience, you are off the bat, within the first 20 to 40 minutes given: bombs, ice power, magnet power, stasis power and a hangglider. Five dungeons worth of equipment, hours of play, are given to you in the starting area. These are the last real utilities you will get.

Instead now, you manage weapons, shields and bows, and food. They break, all the time. You will swing the early weapons, 3-4 times and they break. This is pretty irritating. You upgrade slots and HP by randomly finding leaf guys or following beeps to a shrine.

Honestly I don't feel like going on and i feel I've made my point. This is the least Zelda-esque of all Zelda games, maybe even Spirit Tracks. This game is so beyond anemic. I will just drop some unsorted comments here.

There's 120 to collect, but they just give you more stamina or health, what was always quite dramatically given to you after a boss fight, traditionally in Zelda. (I guess there's armor unlocked at the end, but who really cares.)
    There's NINE HUNDRED korok seeds, which just upgrade your inventory slots, which is useful since you'll go through a ton of weapons, greaaat. I've found about 4, randomly in the wilderness. And that's what this game is, everything just barfed out in one big world zone. The closest thing to this would be the gold skulltula's from Ocarina, but even those were often found together, along the way and later versions reduced the number of those considerably.
    It is pretty telling too, that all the story goes on in the past. The current world is open and generic, it feels brain dead and lacking. You'll fight the same enemies over and over for really no reward besides parts or their crummy weapons. It wants me to find 11 places from pictures Zelda left on her iPhone and after the first one, there's no hint as to where. I don't want to travel around and find them. That sounds like busy work, like most of the game.

I don't want to go on, in this rant of a review or the game. This is a Zelda in the way Hyrule Warriors is, brand only. What this should have been is another big concept change, like Wind Waker. Or something as dense and foreboding as Majora's Mask, this time with a larger budget and not rushed. I haven't even mentioned the farce that is Amiibos in this game, and if I was to type it out, I'd probably want to sell my Nintendo Switch. It is that much of a joke. It is not only ineptly handled and impossible to find (people are making fake ones out of circuit stickers!), but DLC at the absolute, ABSOLUTE worst.

This series used to be about completing dungeons and heroic tasks, and being rewarded with new tools in the world. Now you just upgrade your health or inventory space. It was based of the childish play Shigeru Miyamoto, wandering and pretending to be a hero. I think it is pretty clear he wasn't in charge of this, or involved at all.

What we have here, is Zelda pretending to be Farcry.

My Disappointment Is Immeasurable.jpg
  88. Jun 5, 2019
    I really wanted to like this game, and I do have to say that it is an okay open-world game. Had Nintendo called it anything else, I doubt it would have received the praise it has. The Legend of Zelda name is attached to it, but it doesn't feel like one. They changed absolutely everything, except for the heart containers; the one thing that honestly could've been done away w/ in favour ofI really wanted to like this game, and I do have to say that it is an okay open-world game. Had Nintendo called it anything else, I doubt it would have received the praise it has. The Legend of Zelda name is attached to it, but it doesn't feel like one. They changed absolutely everything, except for the heart containers; the one thing that honestly could've been done away w/ in favour of an exp/leveling system. Instead, you're forced to complete shrines that are short, uninspired, boring, and when forced to use motion controls in them, they're downright miserable. And you need to complete four in order to have enough spirit orbs to either upgrade your hearts or stamina meter. Speaking of which, when you upgrade the stamina meter, they truly cheat you on how much is added. I know of the biggest bragging points this boasts is how you can climb everything and everywhere. Which is true... Unless it's raining... Which happens 95% of the time. I literally watched two episodes of a show (22mins a piece) waiting out the ridiculous rain just so I could finally climb a piece of wood that allowed me to get to a tower. To me, this is one of the absolute worst Legend of Zelda games ever made. I cannot wait for Link's Awakening to drop so I can rid my memory of this hot garbage. Expand
  89. Mar 24, 2020
    Very overrated game, a open world sandox with Link's skin, the secondary missions are boring and repetitive.

Nintendo ruined the franchise
  90. Apr 16, 2020
    The game is boring, the soundtrack is boring not a typical Zelda music just a slow anime sounds, there is to much little side quest and the main quest its just defeat ganon. And just shrines not a single dungeon. Link has not even his Green tunic. I buy this game and i dont want to finish it. nintendo want promote there games with bigger and a lot mini sidequest. Skyrim has a better mainquest.
  91. Nov 15, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game and am honestly disappointed I expect great things of Links adventure and thought this would be no different I hated this game. The story is sooooo bad that I actually gave up on it. The characters are as remembered as destiny 2 characters and let's be honest most of them we don't even remember. The gameplay is good until u use ur sheika slate. Shrines are boring with easy puzzle there was only 1 where it puzzled me. The gameplay is the only part I liked but for 80 bucks no. The enemies are reppetitive. To top it all of the final bossfight was probabley the most unstasisfying thing I've done in the game. The boss was way 2 easy considering That I spent 50 hours honing my skills. If you're looking for a game with fun gameplay. This is it. But as a critic on everything I love including destiny 2 that I literally think was bad if it wasn't for it's gameplay and the repetition for friends. I think it isn't worth it play Horizon Zero Dawn if you want a good adventure with a hard battle Expand
  92. Oct 27, 2017
    meh. that's all i can say. It was fun for about 5 - 10 hours.... then the repetitive grind locked in. 120 shrines? 900 of those seeds? (and btw all you get is a LITERAL piece of gold crap for doing it) etc etc. i thought WARFRAME was grindy, and it is, but again.... meh. OK game but got real boring real fast.
  93. Oct 22, 2018
    Breath of the Wild is an incredibly boring game with no incentive to keep you playing. The weapons break too easily, climbing is a pain in the ass, and link gets out of breath faster than an obese 90 year old.
  94. Mar 14, 2017
    Surprisingly mediocre, have you played any Zelda game? congrats you have played BoTW. Did you hate the item buying aspect from the link between world's 3ds game? Congrats have that in spares along with other annoyances that make the game a slog to go through. Outside of nostalgia this game has little to offer besides showing off the Switch's capabilities, might as well buy switch off forSurprisingly mediocre, have you played any Zelda game? congrats you have played BoTW. Did you hate the item buying aspect from the link between world's 3ds game? Congrats have that in spares along with other annoyances that make the game a slog to go through. Outside of nostalgia this game has little to offer besides showing off the Switch's capabilities, might as well buy switch off for as much enjoyment as this game gives. Only thing that saves this game is honestly the music as the graphics are a tad sub par for a new console. Expand
  95. j-s
    Mar 15, 2017

Things it did right:

Things it tried:

Things it did wrong:
  96. May 16, 2018
    I don’t know exactly why my review got deleted, since it was legit enough, and I was just being honest.
    As a big fan of the former the legend of zelda ocarina of time, this game disappointed me a lot.
    I really tried to like it, since I love zelda a lot. But I just couldn’t force myself to do it. I can’t be asked writing too much, Incase my review gets deleted again, for whatever reason. And I really disliked the ending of the game. Probably the weirdest ending I’ve ever seen
  97. May 4, 2018
    Breath of the Wild was not that great. I've been a huge Zelda fan for a long time, and this one managed to disappoint me. It is easily one of the most flawed titles in the series. The essence of Zelda is largely missing because it is so diluted in Botw. The game feels like a generic open world with a Zelda skin slapped on it far moreso than like a Zelda game.

It's missing proper, unique

It's missing proper, unique dungeons with keys and unique bosses. Some have said Hyrule Castle is a dungeon too, but I disagree. Unlike the divine beasts, it is very hard to call Hyrule Castle a dungeon. Why? Because there is virtually nothing dungeon-like about it by Zelda standards. It's just a large area to explore, though its music is awesome. Overall, Botw's music is sadly the most lacking soundtrack of any Zelda game, though.

The world is huge and beautiful, but vast chunks of it feel like they only exist to expand the world size. For some bizarre reason, there are virtually no caves (which is dumb). It's an open world that is also quite empty. Exploration falls flat, as there isn't much to find aside from korok seeds, shrines, enemy camps, and chests that generally contain useless early game weapons that are too weak to use anymore (or rarely they contain some rupees). Rupees are too rare and under-utilized. They brought back stamina, but it’s designed much better than in Zelda: Skyward Sword. The enemy variety in Botw's world is quite lacking, being far outdone by past games with far smaller worlds.

Most of the story is in the past, making it feel distant and separated from the player's current actions.

The early game experience was one of the worst in the series. It's far more unforgiving than it should be, especially in its normal mode. This resulted in Link feeling like a complete weakling compared to most of his other incarnations. Botw has more tedium and annoyance than all other 3D Zelda games combined and more than most 2D ones too. The atrociously balanced weapon system is very tedious in the early game and not fun. Climbing is also very tedious, especially with how it rains every 5 seconds or any time you step within 5ft of a cliff. It gets better as you increase your max stamina, but is still tedious on huge mountains.

The game's cooking system is cool, but it has a huge flaw. There is no screen that lets you view the recipes you've already discovered. This is an incredibly dumb design flaw given how many recipes there are in Botw.

Even the Master Sword and Hylian Shield have durability in Botw, which is one of the dumbest design choices in series history. It literally makes no sense in the context of Zelda history.

Nintendo also milked this game like never before at launch and after. Some costumes had no business being behind amiibo, like Fierce Diety. It may be equivalent to another armor, but there was one and only one reason they locked it behind an amiibo. That was because they knew lots of players would want that one. In other words, it was a cash grab. Some materials were grossly overused in the armor upgrade system, causing another source of tedium. Star fragments are the worst, but lynel materials are also a stupid chore to farm. The way amiibo scanning works is dumb, too. This is because of how many times you have to try to get costume pieces sometimes. It's stupid and pointless.

Overall, Botw is sadly a bit of a lackluster experience compared to most past Zelda games. This game just doesn’t stand up to most other Zelda adventures. It tried to sell its soul and be something it is not.
  98. May 8, 2018
    Overhyped. Was fun for a couple hours but then became stale. People love to eat up anything from Nintendo I suppose..
  99. May 29, 2019
    Game graphic was very poor and it is like a ghost world, no npc anywhere. Sometimes just 3-4 Bocos seen moved on the field... That was all. I have played for 2 hours and felt despair. The next day I have sold switch and zelda. Waste of money.
  100. Apr 15, 2019
    Likely blinded by nostalgia, this game is not deserving of such a high rating, So much Zelda content that makes a Zelda game a Zelda game is missing here, and while the first couple hours were enjoyable, it later became a repetitive bore and an ultimately unrewarding game to play.

Universal acclaim - based on 109 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 12, 2017
    Where it takes mechanics from others in the industry, it improves upon them; where it introduces new ones, you slap your forehead in amazement that it hasn’t been done before. Breath of the Wild is development done right, and damn near the best game you’ll play all year.
  2. Aug 30, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece.
  3. Games Master UK
    May 19, 2017
    Up there with the finest Zelda games, Breath of the Wild is bold, liberating, and utterly astonishing. [Apr 2017, p.60]