8.3

Watch Now
Buy on

1. Mar 7, 2017
    The game starts you in the middle of this huge open world and doesn't force you to do anything with it there is no companion that is constantly nagging at you to get to a certain location. It is also surprising how much depth the game offers for a world of its size, the game is full of fun small puzzles called shrines (on top of the dungeons) and is also filled with fun and quirkyThe game starts you in the middle of this huge open world and doesn't force you to do anything with it there is no companion that is constantly nagging at you to get to a certain location. It is also surprising how much depth the game offers for a world of its size, the game is full of fun small puzzles called shrines (on top of the dungeons) and is also filled with fun and quirky characters.

The combat system has also been remade, Enemies now deal more damage and don't drop health and your items are constantly breaking at the begging of the game which forces you to think out your attacks carefully and manage your supply.

Overall this game is a must buy whether your a Zelda fan or not and really shows what developers can do if there not afraid to change things up and In Nintendo's case it gave them a game which will be remembered forever in gaming history.

But that's not why you read this review you wanted to know how this runs on the Wii U compared to the Switch and I can safely day that this game runs smoothly and besides the first few minutes in the begging it kept a constant frame rate.Keep in mind that this game was original made for the Wii U so it is not a downgraded version of the game the switch is just a boosted version of the Wii U's This game is a must buy if you have a Wii U and does not require the switch to have the full experience.
  2. Mar 7, 2017
    Switch's glorious launch-title is also Wii U's triumphant Swan Song. "Breath Of The Wild" feels like the proper culmination of 30 years of design lessons and wonderfully executed ideas. Hyrule has never looked as gorgeous. From the moment the game starts it announces itself as a revelation. If you're a fan of this legendary series, this is a must own and for everyone else this game makesSwitch's glorious launch-title is also Wii U's triumphant Swan Song. "Breath Of The Wild" feels like the proper culmination of 30 years of design lessons and wonderfully executed ideas. Hyrule has never looked as gorgeous. From the moment the game starts it announces itself as a revelation. If you're a fan of this legendary series, this is a must own and for everyone else this game makes for a great proposition in gameplay perfection. Expand
  3. Mar 6, 2017
    Absolutely outstanding! This is such a beautiful immersive experience - I haven't been able to sleep properly for 3 nights now as I've been up playing this game so late - This is the best way to judge a game - if you can't put it down! - a rarity for me!
    THe amount of effort and attention to detail put int this game is astonishing - Nintendo and the team deserve every single bit of praise they can get on this!
  4. Mar 7, 2017
    Genius, this is genius. You must play it ! They totally reinvented what game play means, what video game means. Thank you so much for this experience, there will be an before and after this game.
  5. Mar 7, 2017
    Nintendo heard your complaints with Skyward Sword, and has done everything in their power to fix it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely was in love with the game, and had a blast playing it. Although, I will admit to their faults since over the years I haven't let my bias turn into denial. It had a lot of padding, some good, some absolutely WTF? (Looking at you tadtone trial which ironicallyNintendo heard your complaints with Skyward Sword, and has done everything in their power to fix it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely was in love with the game, and had a blast playing it. Although, I will admit to their faults since over the years I haven't let my bias turn into denial. It had a lot of padding, some good, some absolutely WTF? (Looking at you tadtone trial which ironically I liked) but Breath of the Wild has set a new benchmark for the series and for gaming in general.

Skyrim was not a stellar game by any means, and people say Zelda is copying it (yes, an open world game from 1986 is copycat) then you know nothing about video games. I find it hilarious how people are actually falling for the fail trolls. It's either A) hilarious because I admit to trolling because it's funny. B) not a Nintendo fan and upset that the most critically acclaimed video game of all time is once again a Zelda game.

With Breath of the Wild, you have an absolutely massive map filled with content that you will only find if you dig deep into every corner. I played for 22 hours until I even reached my first dungeon in Zora's Domain which is what you're advised to do very early on from leaving the Great Plateau. I have to say the dungeon design is the best in the series, although not theme based, it's use of physics and your runes are absolutely unique and incredible. I haven't felt so puzzled by a Zelda game since Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time Master Quest. The combat for the first time in the 3D series I have actually avoided enemies because I accepted defeat. SS did have it's challenges, but even that game was undeniably simple when compared to this game.

I often find myself lost in the vast, gorgeous world and always attempting to try new things. Shrine searching can be difficult 40 shrines deep but can be rewarding, there are areas in the game you should not go to until you have a good number of hearts, stamina, and good gear. 30 hours in and you will still barely be in the zone for that. The shrines are one of the most fun parts, short mini-dungeons that creatively use the laws of physics and multi-tasking to get the most out of your brain. Nintendo isn't shy to challenge you and realizes not everyone is an idiot. (Looking at you Microsoft fans.)

The story, I won't spoil. But it is done very expertly as well. It's interesting, and always keeps you wanting more. After you are required to search out for your memories, I find it really unique. The first five memories I found were by carefully scouting the picture and realizing where that should be near. I saw Vah Medoh flying in the scenery, with the castle and a dry looking mountain area. I determined where that should be on my map and after a bit of exploration around my prediction, I found it. Others I found completely by coming across while journeying through the massive landscape. It truly is great.

All in all, this is the most definitive game in The Legend of Zelda series, and it is by far the greatest game of all time. Anyone who hasn't played this game, or doesn't like it because it's Zelda, has no idea what a phenomenal experience they are missing out on. Zelda has once again redefined video games.
  6. Mar 4, 2017
    Besides some frame-drop issues, this game is a absolute masterpiece. It's full of quests and the exploration is amazing. It gives you the freedom to explore everything, and you can interact with almost anything: cut a tree to make a bridge, get resources, make food, use rocks to collide with explosives and kill enemies, get their weapons, use magnets to solve puzzles, create ice to makeBesides some frame-drop issues, this game is a absolute masterpiece. It's full of quests and the exploration is amazing. It gives you the freedom to explore everything, and you can interact with almost anything: cut a tree to make a bridge, get resources, make food, use rocks to collide with explosives and kill enemies, get their weapons, use magnets to solve puzzles, create ice to make platforms, etc. Besides that, you gotta make some strategies, because there's not a lot of resources or weapons you can carry. Sometimes you find yourself fighting an enemy and you run out of weapons or food, so you gotta manage your resources very carefully. You really forget about time when you're playing it, it's fun and break some of Zelda conventions in a good way. Expand
  7. Mar 7, 2017
    Not a perfect game, there really is no such thing in my opinion, but Breath of the Wild is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. I'll admit that I am a long time Zelda fan-boy, starting in the year 2000 with Ocarina of Time, but I've seen several reviews from Zelda fan-boys who say "It's not Zelda 0/10! No dungeons only mini puzzles! Climbing simulator 2017! blah blah blah",Not a perfect game, there really is no such thing in my opinion, but Breath of the Wild is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. I'll admit that I am a long time Zelda fan-boy, starting in the year 2000 with Ocarina of Time, but I've seen several reviews from Zelda fan-boys who say "It's not Zelda 0/10! No dungeons only mini puzzles! Climbing simulator 2017! blah blah blah", but I believe that it certainly deserves the high ratings that it gets. Would it get so many 10/10's if it didn't have that Zelda name? Probably not, but the ratings would still be high.

One thing in particular that stands out to me is the distinct lack of guidance in this game. It is both a blessing and a curse. The main quest will tell you exactly where you need to go (the order and timing is up to you), but side quests leave a map marker only on the quest giver (mostly) and you are left with the directions that they gave you. It's up to your own intuition to complete these tasks. On one hand this is a refreshing change from the norm of many current games where you always feel like you are watching the map marker, following the golden trail, etc. Here, however, you follow your intuition, study the landscape, and figure things out for yourself which makes it that much more rewarding when you finish each quest. But it can also be frustrating, some quests can seem very vague and even frustrating. Overall I'd say I like this inclusion, but it won't be for everyone.

Anyway, let's break this down.

Pros:
    Large, varied open world
    Stunning visuals and vibrant colours
    Dynamic weather system that affects environment (For example rain makes it hard to climb)
    Hot and cold environments that require heat or cold resistances
    Absolute minimum of invisible walls
    Plenty of things to do
    Interesting side quests
    Fun verity of weapons
    Many options for taking down enemies
    No broken promises (looking at you Hello Games)
    Mostly good frame rate
    Endless cooking options, mix up to five ingredients and see what happens!
    Less guidance than most current games
    Complete main dungeons in any order you want
    Tame horses, bears, deer, a ghost horse thing!
    Collectibles that I actually want to collect
    An interesting backstory that you must hunt down piece by piece
    Many weapon types
    Shield surfing
    The return, and appealing redesigns, of many awesome past races
    Challenging minibosses scattered around the world
    Minimal bugs, at least in my game, one of the most polished and bug free games I have played in some time

Cons:
    Frame dropping in some towns and thick forests, by no means unplayable, but a touch irritating (I don't care about 30 or 60 fps differences, I only care when it drops below 20)
    Not much enemy variety, late game enemies are just different colours with higher health
    Not many minibosses, only four types unfortunately. Could have really stood to have more
    Only five real dungeons, four that are somewhat short and visually similar (albeit challenging and unique) and one final dungeon
    Lack of tutorials for some non-essential, but fun mechanics (such as shield surfing)
    Limited weapon, bow, and shield inventories. You can improve them as the game goes on, but it is slow.
    Voice acting ranges from acceptable to terrible.
    Don't expect good lip syncing, but remember that this game was made in Japan

Those cons did little to ruin my experience, and I struggle to think of more after my at least 60 hour playtime.

Some may not like the whole breakable weapons thing, but I think that they really encourage the player to try all different kinds of weapons. If weapons were unbreakable, I'd just pick up a sword and a boomerang and never bother with anything else, but in this game I find myself using all manner of weapons even those I usually avoid in other games, like hammers, axes and spears, and you'll hardly be starved of them since weapons are everywhere.

Honestly, if you love open worlds with a variety of stunning landscapes and plenty of adventure, if you love combining random foods to see what it makes, if you love thinking of something crazy and seeing if it works, and it does, then this is a game for you. If you're a Zelda purist, then you should probably play a different game.
  8. Mar 3, 2017
    Believe the hype. I was skeptical at first, seeing so many 10s and 100s given out to this game. I went blindly into Breath of the Wild knowing nothing about it except for the main trailer of the game. Hours into the game I can only agree: this game is a masterpiece.

There is so much contect, so many things to do, so many places to explore. You are given complete freedom in this adventure, you can even try to beat the game as soon as you start. Freedom and exploration are perhaps the best gameplay aspects, without leaving behind the sheer amount of actions possible: cooking, riding horseback, climbing... Whether you actually beat the story is also up to you, there is so much to invest in this game you might never grow bored of it.

Go play this game. Now. This isn't your typical 10/10 game, it goes beyond that. This game is now videogame history.
  9. Mar 3, 2017
    El mismo juego que Switch y va exactamente igual en una consola menos potente y que se puede encontrar por un precio bastante inferior y que tecnicamente es lo mismo
  10. Mar 3, 2017
    An absolutely incredible game, it gives me the same awe and wonder that I felt years ago when I first played ocarina of time. The only thing that can be annoying sometimes is the occasional drop in fps but those are few and far between.
  11. Mar 3, 2017
    the best game of the year. (the best game of the year) An absolute masterpiece. This game will change your life, and how you look at video games forever. The Nintendo magic is here in full force, and they've outdone themselves, and truly cemented themselves as the greatest developer of all time.
  12. Mar 15, 2017
    This 10/10 game has a beautifully crafted world and story for you to explore with your 2 feet tied together. Weapons that shatter after a small amount of use, drowning in waist high water from lack of stamina, and a deplorable frame rate to slow the combat down makes for a frustrating experience that is neither fun nor challenging.
  13. Mar 3, 2017
    Zelda games always deliver. The music, the dungeons, the world feels like it's alive. If there's something in terms of gameplay that you think is possible - it is. Some minor framedrops on the WiiU, but nothing too nasty. The game gets you from the first seconds. A true, unique adventure.
  14. Mar 3, 2017

Perfection.
  15. Mar 3, 2017
    Nintendo is BACK! BotW IS THE ZELDA GAME. It is even better than Ocarina of Time, AND THAT MEANS A LOT.

It's beautiful, it's long, has an amazing gameplay and of course, is fun.
  16. Mar 3, 2017
    Vengo a darle un 10 porque todos los sonyers vienen a tirar mierda llena de envidia.
    En cualquier caso estuve jugando la version de Wii U y es una maravilla, lo dice alguien que nisiquiera es un fan de esta saga.
  17. Mar 3, 2017
    Easily the best game ever made, a real lesson about how to made a open world, the industry will need learn again how and what is the purpose of your games, Breath of the Wild is big, consistent, beautiful, deep, everything that you know about perfection elevated at your maximum,
  18. Mar 3, 2017
    Breath of the Wild broke a lot of records in the history of gaming. By that, I mean it is most likely impossible to find one thing wrong with this game. It's like Nintendo took the base of Ocarina of Time and modernize it to make it look like this game over here. This is why Nintendo will forever remain in my heart no matter where it all goes. I'm telling you this, Breath of the Wild hasBreath of the Wild broke a lot of records in the history of gaming. By that, I mean it is most likely impossible to find one thing wrong with this game. It's like Nintendo took the base of Ocarina of Time and modernize it to make it look like this game over here. This is why Nintendo will forever remain in my heart no matter where it all goes. I'm telling you this, Breath of the Wild has everything... yes, every... single... thing that made Ocarina of Time look like a masterpiece. This is the lost brother of Ocarina of Time and the true brother Ocarina of Time will ever need. Just go buy this game, it wants your money so bad, it wants you to play it so bad, it wants to be your local friend literally bad. I'll be waiting until you get this game. Expand
  19. Mar 4, 2017
    There's a couple of things I dislike about the game.

-There are 5 runes in the game that you unlock very quickly. The 6th rune is for Amiibos. I thought this was pretty limited for an entire system. They could have made runes do much more than just be 4 items tied to the slate. -Health recovery is instant and done within a menu. I think having a game about preparing food that can
    There's a couple of things I dislike about the game.

-Health recovery is instant and done within a menu. I think having a game about preparing food that can instantly heal you to full and more should have had realtime healing, like souls with Estus or Grass. This is just a small gripe, but I noticed it when I fell from a large height, barely alive, and I was able to heal to full before I took more damage from rolling after the fall. Just felt like it was a moment that could have been more punishing.

Honestly though, these gripes are completely trivial to the score, but I wanted to mention them. The real reason I gave a 7 instead of a 9 or a 10 was that the framerate is absolutely abysmal. I wouldn't care if it dropped during explosions, but it happens during combat and villages when the only things in the frame are npcs.
    I am hoping for a patch, but looking at critics right now, no one is going to be reviewing this version. Even if they do, none are going to mention how bad the framerates are.

And they are TERRIBLE. We're talking 15fps and below at moments. I've heard that the error is caused by memory streaming rather than the GPU choking on the load which I really hope is true.

I also urge everyone else to stop giving 10s until the patch is out. We're the consumers who care enough to write a review and if all Nintendo sees is 10s (They do look at their metacritic scores closely) then they will be extremely unlikely to ever fix this.
  20. Mar 3, 2017
    Don't fall for the Switch hype if you don't want one... this game looks absolutely fantastic on Wii U, and it rarely dips for how good it looks. I mean it looks way better than those phony comparisons I have seen on Youtube. I'm impressed and I just saved like a million dollars cause there is NO other reason to get a Switch.
  21. Mar 3, 2017
    Be wary of people giving this game a high score. They just might be trying to sell you on something.

Things it did right: + Huge world with lots of little details, probably where Nintendo spent most of their time in development + The go-anywhere-and-possibly-be-undergeared motif of LoZ1 was translated to a 3D game alright enough + Made the mastersword rely on heart containers to

Things it did right:
    + Made the mastersword rely on heart containers to acquire it, much like the White Sword or Magical Sword from LoZ1. Probably the only specific callback to LoZ1 that translated "perfectly".

Things it tried:
    • Redesigned many characters, going as far as never giving Link a hat in promotional art and changing his iconic color from green to blue, or Ganon who is now a demon spider instead of a pig, only a pig in spirit. Moblins were turned into weird long snouted lanky unicorn pigmonsters, Hinox were turned into somewhat-more-generic Giants losing their iconic(?) Bomb-throwing attacks.
    • Tried voice acting but traded player-freedom of naming their character so spoken lines could needlessly refer to you as "Link".
    • The go-anywhere-model of LoZ1 lost almost all likeness to most other Zelda games because of the way it was implemented. In order to go anywhere and do anything from the start of the game, the player unfortunately gets all their tools at the start of the game so no proper dungeons with proper treasures or item equipment that would otherwise lock one player from accessing things another player could gated via game progress- which also isn't necessarily even "true" to how LoZ1 accomplished it.

Things it did wrong:
    - Traded the sweeping and catchy good music of traditional Zelda design even going as far back as the original LoZ1 for lighter, emptier, less-frequent ambient sounds to adapt to the world's environment of "musical" cues and reliance on things like stealth. As an original game this might have worked, but the tradeoff meaning no great "Zelda music" as many expect from the franchise doesn't work to a benefit. The weaker audio design fits their game design, but the weaker audio design of their game design doesn't fit "Zelda".
    - From a series known for streamlined access to health replenishment via bottles full of potions and frequent floating hearts, placing all healing behind food collection and menu access gets in the way of player intention within the world and only serves to distract the player or otherwise pad the adventure with unnecessary filler. Trivial for a series that virtually invented the concept behind the Estus Flask from the Souls games. Such an estus-flask-like method of healing would have more accurately emulated the streamlined healing of past Zelda games while still allowing them to get away from hearts in bushes and pots.
    - Related to food collection, the game design around killing simple non-zelda scenery animals unrelated to the variety of Zelda enemies for various Raw Meat items is woefully unnecessary and out-of-place for any Zelda game much less any Nintendo game. This concept was so poorly implemented to even include killing foxes and wolves for meat, in our modern society where both have been domesticated as pets or otherwise crossbred with domestic dogs to produce canines that look identical to their wild counterparts. Whether the player has the intent or not to harm them, they can be killed by enemies anyway. "Eating dog meat" is a gut-wrenching phrase I never imagined would describe an action in any videogame much less one from Nintendo, and has forever irreparably damaged my otherwise flawless opinion of the franchise and its creators.
    - No actual sprawling dungeons from a series known for it's sprawling dungeons is a weakpoint. The shrines, although numerous and fairly uniquely designed in terms of their puzzles, unfortunately still manage to all look identical and don't offer the same expected gameplay layout or scenic/regional design as cohesive interconnected hallways and rooms from traditional dungeons in other Zelda games. Even the four Divine Beasts operate more like "slightly larger shrines" than something remotely close to being considered a true "dungeon", with Hyrule Castle being the only "true" dungeon.
    - Enemy variety compared to past Zelda games and even many modern games is staggeringly low. All enemies and bosses counted, there are only 23 different monsters that are copied-pasted-and-recolored or given a slightly different weapon or elemental attribute to create the majority of Breath of the Wild's "variety". Even going back to Ocarina of Time, there were 46 unique enemies and bosses counted together, not including recolored or reskinned variations; and of course each mainline Zelda game since Ocarina and before Breath of the Wild has had virtually the same variety if not more. There are actually more background scenery animal species in this game than unique enemies, meaning the only true visual variety that exists is in the scenery itself - a negative only because enemy combat is a necessity.
  22. Mar 3, 2017
    Not worthy of the Zelda franchise.

Despite offering a huge world to explore its largely empty and devoid of interest. The shrines are mini puzzles and become incredibly boring early with journeying between them even more so. Its also one of the only ways to increase your hearts/stamina so your essentially forced to do these side quests. Dungeons are gone. You have shrines that are
    Not worthy of the Zelda franchise.

Dungeons are gone. You have shrines that are very short puzzles rewarding an item you can trade for hearts or stamina. Probably is they all look the same with bland interiors. There are 4 mechanical creatures that are slightly longer versions of shrines but the only real dungeon is hyrule castle.

Its also annoying that the inventory is micro management heavy, item break often so your constantly swapping. You can expand your inventory but again it involves finding seeds and trading them in. If the world was more interesting this might have been fun.

The climbing mechanic isn't fun. Its tedious and repetitive. The towers you have to climb are essentially less interesting versions of the towers from far cry 4.

So disappointed. I've put it down and don't think I'll bother finishing it. There's just nothing to keep my interest.
  23. Mar 3, 2017
    As a person who never usually rate games. I created this account SOLELY to express my frustration over this. This game ISN'T TRADITIONAL, IT'S BAD! It's so F bad that I need to invent new word to express my frustration. Well glad I didn't buy this along with Switch.

Music SUCKS BIG TIME. Game feels empty and less magical feeling, not to mention those annoying sound you hear somewere which makes my ear bleed. Graphics and art style sucks. It made me more sad when irl friend who aint a gamer told me "looks like world of warcraft". Combat is bad. It feels like playing hack n slash game. Dungeons aint like before. WTf that voice acting in the beginning. Where's the green:ish armour? wow healthbar above npc.. No animation while opening chest like in OOT, Twilight n Majoras mask and so on. FFS! this F game. It was so hard for me to give it 1/10.

The game overall looks just meh, empty, they tried to do something different. They completely raped the core of the game.

Story: LMAO, won't mention that until you've played it yourself.
  24. Mar 3, 2017
    1. Link is LEFT-HANDED. I guess the Producer didn't know that (who thinks that Phantom Hourglass and Triforce Heroes are the best Zelda games ever made).

2. Zelda is supposed to have EXCELLENT MUSIC. 3. "Link" is not the character's name, but a placeholder name. You are supposed to enter your own name. 4. They nerfed the Gamepad functionality. No Zelda will ever come close to Wind

2. Zelda is supposed to have EXCELLENT MUSIC.

4. They nerfed the Gamepad functionality. No Zelda will ever come close to Wind Waker's excellent Gamepad visuals. The Switch (dumb name) has NO LAUNCH LINEUP, so they needed to stab Wii U owners in the back and take what was supposed to be the definitive Wii U game and the definitive Gamepad game.

5. "Expansion pass"... just hearing that makes me cringe.

6. Link looks effeminate and malnourished.

7. The game designers clearly had much contempt for the Zelda series. Just give us Link to the Past in the Ocarina of Time engine and we're good! The only thing "Zelda" about this game is the word on the box. Not even the character on the box is from Zelda (blonde haired feminine boy holding a sword in his right hand when the REAL Zelda protagonist has brown hair, a green hat and tunic, and is BADA--).
  25. Mar 25, 2017
    This new entry into the Zelda franchise is so weird. So many fans waited so long for this title, and its very interesting to see the mass reaction from the critics versus reactions from the players.

This is one of few games I would stress to avoid critic reviews. The game in actuality is somewhere around a 7 - 9, not a perfect 10 in my opinion. In order for it to be a perfect 10, It

This is one of few games I would stress to avoid critic reviews.

The game in actuality is somewhere around a 7 - 9, not a perfect 10 in my opinion. In order for it to be a perfect 10, It would need a few things, including:

- A better working framerate
    - More dungeons, harder puzzles and main story line
    - More engaging side quests
    - Way harsher difficulty curve ( Although there is the Masterquest/Hard mode coming out for expansion pass owners so this one can be exempt for about 20 bucks and some time)
    - More Items (like the runes, I felt so limited with only the bombs, Magnesis, Stasis and Cryosis.)

I understand the gripe with the music, but as a active music student at a performing arts college I felt the music was very appropriate for the setting. The ambient piano that accompanies you throughout your travels is so soothing, and the themes of the different villages are so underrated. All the music was up to zelda par for me, and I have been listening to the OST's of all the zelda games for years, so there is no bias either. I love the new approach, but I can definitely understand the concern.

The worst problem of this game is the lack of a satisfying main quest. Eight or so years for this!? Four dungeons that I completed within an hour and a final run at Hyrule castle that I also beat within an hour? Compared to ANY of the old zelda games, this is embarrassing. Even the worst received games in the series had so much more story and challenge, taking me weeks to figure out puzzles. The first entry in the game has 9 levels, so even the title with no linear story had so much more content then this one. Other Zelda games were so hard, I would quit them for months or years, only to come back and finish them when I had more patient or tried something new. I find it hard to believe that could happen to anyone in this game, and I am disappointed for that. I beat it in about two weeks, with college finals and a job outside of classes.

Compare that to Majora's Mask, Another experimental title in the series that took me about a month or two to beat. It also had only four temples and a main boss, yet it was so much harder and felt so much more satisfying when I beat the game.

And even if the reason for the lack of main story was for us to explore this "amazing open world" then I need more engaging quests. Not shrines that have me do one basic puzzle and leave. Or fetch quests where I have to bring a boy every weapon I find. Gimme some Skyrim esque quests where it has a story and could be almost considered a main quest as well. Let me join a guild or become Archmage please.

Dont get me wrong though, this game has amazing, very artistic graphics. They are not meant to be crazy high definition. Graphics have never been why we play Nintendo. The characters were quite interesting as well, although I wish I could have seen them more often. Also, Exploration is the best part of this game. The freedom of exploring the world was so entertaining.

All in all, this game is a fun start to a new era of Zelda. Lets just hope the following Zelda games will learn from it's mistakes.
  26. Apr 5, 2017
    The first game in 20 years to make me lose sleep playing it. I have played 90 hours so far and can say that this game is an utter masterpiece.

Pros: Beautiful music score Sprawling game world rich with content Clevar and accessible puzzles Functional and fashionable customizable clothing Beautiful graphics Amiibo support (never really used them for anything else) Endless Easter

Pros:
    Beautiful music score
    Sprawling game world rich with content
    Clevar and accessible puzzles
    Functional and fashionable customizable clothing
    Beautiful graphics
    Amiibo support (never really used them for anything else)
    Endless Easter eggs for the zelda veteran
    Intuitive controls
    Consistent game mechanics
    Incredible value (69.99 for 90+ hours of fun, halo 5 only gave me 6)
    Rewards player agency

Cons:
    no touch input for the switch or wii u
    No way to dynamically reorganize inventory
    Some frame rate slowdowns
    900 vertical resolution, not 1080
    Most of the amiibo you would want to get for it are unavailable or ridiculously rare/expensive.
  27. Apr 7, 2017
    It's hard for me to judge games while I am playing them, as I feel like i get caught up in the moment/hype. But I have to say, a month or so after the launch of Breath of the Wild, and a few weeks after beating it, it's the best game I've ever played. Sure it has some flaws like the weapon durability, but of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of games I have played in my life, this game madeIt's hard for me to judge games while I am playing them, as I feel like i get caught up in the moment/hype. But I have to say, a month or so after the launch of Breath of the Wild, and a few weeks after beating it, it's the best game I've ever played. Sure it has some flaws like the weapon durability, but of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of games I have played in my life, this game made me feel more wonder than anything else ever has. It is everything I've ever wanted in a game. Expand
  28. Mar 27, 2017
    I took my time with this game and finally finished it last night, complete with all shrines and memories. While a great game, its shortcomings are too significant to receive the utmost praise.

Its open world design is a bold step for the series. Hyrule is vast, varied, and filled with little secrets and treasures, but follows industry formula more than ardent fans would have you believe, complete with watchtowers to unlock the map and outposts to clear. The survival elements are substantial and incorporation with your gear impressive, but can also be more hassle than fun when you sometimes spend nearly as much time in the menus as playing live. Speaking of hassles, there's nothing mixed about the weapon 'fragility' system, as it's been coined; it's just a pain for weapons not to last even one big battle, pause midfight to swap gear, discard prized items because there is no proper locker in the game, have to hang up and never use unique weapons if you don't want to lose them, or have no way of even maintaining weapons before they break. Combat is serviceable; there's lots of ways to play around but the meat is simple and getting a handle on your dodges and parries is all you really need.

The puzzles, I think, suffer from quantity over quality. The shrines will keep you busy for hours but are breakable via the physics and the numerous strength trials are painfully repetitive. The koroks all over the world are fun to spot and unearth but end up recycling the same handful of tasks some hundred times each. Shrine quests are good fun but most side missions are extremely unremarkable. Completing all of any of these can eventually become a drag, and with all of these in the game the main 'dungeons' have suffered, being smaller and less memorable than past entries.

Presentation is good but has its rough spots. At one point the visuals can dazzle with beautiful plains, rich color, lovely shading, effects, physics, and art, the next it can grate with inconsistent textures, chugging performance (I've even had 0fps spikes), and bad image quality. Sound is nice, but I've heard better. Still, it's impressive what they've been able to pack into relatively low power hardware.

Finally, there's the storytelling, which has never been Nintendo's strong suit. Most of the story is entirely optional and must be hunted down. That could be a benefit for those who just want to play but create a very fragmented and piecemeal narrative for those interested. What little voice acting there is is mediocre. Characters run the gamut from forgettable to one dimensional to amusing, while a handful rise up to be delightful or even well written. One thing I must credit though is some of the unexpected chuckles that pop up in the dialogue menus, even from our laconic hero. Taken as a whole the story is passable.

I've been critical, but over all, Breath of the Wild is a great game. It's vast and detailed and lots of bang for your buck, I just don't think it's quite worthy of all the perfect scores critics and consumers alike have been tripping over themselves to give it - or of being called the best Zelda game.

P.S.: It's not as hard as some make it out to be, either.
  29. Apr 23, 2017
    Jogo perfeito, mundo imenso e cheio de segredos, sempre fui fã da franquia e ja tinha passado da hora de atualizar as mecânicas do game. Nintendo esta perdoada pelos atrasos na entrega, o game é incrível em todos os aspectos!
  30. Apr 8, 2017
    The game is perfect note 10! It is the best experience of an open world game that has, every person who considers himself a gamer should play is a must, simply a masterpiece.
  31. May 19, 2017
    After beating The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild I must say I am a bit disappointed. I enjoyed the world and the dynamic gameplay and problem solving involved, but to me the game felt scattered, unconnected, and incomplete. If you don’t have a switch yet I can promise you, you are not missing much other than hype. Over all I would give the game 3/5.
    In terms story, I felt it fell
    In terms story, I felt it fell short in regards of what I expect from a Zelda game. The story passed the buildup and placed you directly into the conflict, but the conflict didn’t seem like much of a conflict. Outside of the dark castle at the center of the map, the occasional blood moon, and the random goblins scattered about, the world seemed at piece. There was no great turmoil in the towns. The divine beasts were mostly a nuisance, not a threat. There was no sense of urgency for Gannon to be stopped.
    The open world aided to the feel of a lack of urgency. It was great getting to explore a massive open world, but with the vastness of the space I felt were not many memorable areas. Most of the game was identical looking. Green hills, brown dirt, rocks, lots of grass, trees. Very few locations stood out. The lack of a memorable soundtrack greatly aided in this. My biggest disappointment was the soundtrack because, well, there wasn’t one. One of the most memorable aspects of the Zelda franchise. Throughout the game there is only a handful of soundtracks, the most memorable being the cooking one.
    In addition to this, there was no real progress. Free the divine beast in no particular order, do every shrine you see, fight Gannon. It was mostly a check list. In addition, gear progression was the same. I never got attached to any weapon I found because it would just break. I used twigs and skeleton arms for most of the game. The gear didn’t feel all that special. I farmed the ancient soldier gear only to find that the barbarian gear from the labyrinth shrines was better, which was also a disappointment.
    The additional quests were also lackluster. They had an MMO style feel to them and most of the quest I completed had rewards of little worth, or you spent more in terms of time, food, equipment, and arrows completing the quest than you were rewarded. In addition, the quest felt like they had no impact on the world, did not aid in progression, and were essentially put in the game to make it feel more like an RPG.
    The Art direction of the game also had some issues. Whereas it was unique and beautiful, the highly saturation colors provided little contrast. This made it hard to see in many situations where sight was crucial. I adapted to it after some time, but the game could defiantly use more contrast.
    For those not trained in art, this may not make much sense, but when you look at an image it has something called a tonal range. This maps the value of color according to its relative lightness and darkness compared against black and white. An image with a realistic tonal range should have value all the way across, ranging from deep blacks to bright whites in highlights. A low contrast lacks both of these, and bunches them in the middle. After taking various screen shots from the game I confirmed this was the case by placing them in Photoshop and looking at their tonal range. A vast majority had no dark or light points, just mid tones.
    Over all the game is good. It is worth playing to experience the excitement and fun an open world RPG brings, but for those expecting a rich world filled with excitement, adventure, and amazing story telling you will walk away shot handed. This is their 1st open world game of this caliber, and they were successful in their endeavor, but I just hope they manage to incorporate a bit more of the magic of the Zelda universe into the game next time.
  32. May 28, 2017
    I'm certainly in the minority here, but I found this game very tedious and boring. This game does not at all represent what I look for in a Zelda game. It is upsetting that the game is getting such good reviews since it means the Zelda formula I so enjoy is likely gone forever. Below are the details on what I'm talking about:

Dungeons - Previous Zelda games had intricate dungeons.

Dungeons - Previous Zelda games had intricate dungeons. This game has for the most part traded them in for shrines. Though there are many more shrines than there have been dungeons in any Zelda game, the shrines tend to have very simplistic puzzles. Most can be finished in about 2 minutes and require very little thought. A few of these shrines involve combat, but it is always against the same boring enemy. A few of these shrines require solving a puzzle to find in the first place, and a number of those, the puzzle is basically to wait until the right time of day, then perform a menial task like shooting an arrow. For me, a game that is making me stand around and wait for something to happen is restricting my freedom and inflicting boredom.

Exploration - For most people exploration is the big selling point, and it's true that there is a vast world to explore. Unfortunately I find that there are only a few different types of things to find, so it feels very repetitive. I always enjoyed the fact that in previous Zelda games you would notice areas you couldn't get to until you had the right item, and the excitement of returning once the item was found. This game doesn't really stop you from going anywhere once the initial couple of hours are done, and the few skills added after don't really offer anything that changes the gameplay as previous Zelda's did. Again I'm in the minority and obviously people love the fact they can do whatever they want...but to me it goes against one of my favourite things about Zelda games.

Combat - Due to weapon durability, I was inclined to skip combat. It was boring and repetitive. There are a few bosses to fight but they don't require any thinking/ingenuity or special item usage like previous bosses.

Very little traditional Zelda music - this speaks for itself.

Conversations and cut scenes - More tedium. Most conversations take too long. I shouldn't have to wait for text to catch up with my reading speed, or wait for cheesy character animations or horrible voice acting.

Climbing and Movement - This was incredibly tedious! So much of the game revolves around climbing, and the climbing is soooo slow! Not only that but you can easily spend a couple minutes climbing and then run out of endurance to reach the top... what a waste of time. The same applies to swimming - if you can't make it to shore it is game over. Walking/running speed is very slow too, but at least you don't get game over from it. You can upgrade stamina, which improves things a bit, but it is still very tedious. The worst feature of the game is the rain. Climbing is required all the time, and if it rains you can't climb... forcing you to switch gears and do something else, or just wait 10 minutes for the rain to stop.

Lightning - When there's a lightning storm, you have to remove all your metal gear. Some people would label this as 'attention to detail', and maybe it is... but it doesn't change the fact that this is a super annoying gameplay mechanic. Like rain, this game is full of these kinds of annoying things that prevent you from doing what you want to do.

Overall, this is my least favourite Zelda for the reasons stated. I really hope Nintendo does continue down this road for future Zelda games. Unfortunately they are really losing me as a fan... hopefully they don't ruin Metroid in the same way.
  33. Apr 6, 2017
    As a long time Zelda fan it was always a worry that Nintendo may one day change the traditional Zelda formula we've all come to love. But for what it's worth, Nintendo has done an absolutely fantastic job at bringing Zelda into an entirely new genre. No open world/sandbox game even comes close to this one in terms of its exploration. The world around you feels both alive and yet dead atAs a long time Zelda fan it was always a worry that Nintendo may one day change the traditional Zelda formula we've all come to love. But for what it's worth, Nintendo has done an absolutely fantastic job at bringing Zelda into an entirely new genre. No open world/sandbox game even comes close to this one in terms of its exploration. The world around you feels both alive and yet dead at the same time, giving a real sense of depth to the events the games tells you about through it's story that lead to Hyrule being in it's current state. The characters are all wonderful and filled with personality and the weapon durability system is fine, despite what many have said.

There's plenty to discover and do in this game and along the way you're accompanied by a very ambient soundtrack that isn't too intrusive or out of place, but definitely isn't like the music you remember from older Zelda games. There are very few big dungeons but there are 120 small shrines, which are each a puzzle of their own. Every area of breath of the wild feels different from the scorching hot Gerudo desert to the extremely cold and snowy tundra. Each area has its own positives and negatives, with certain enemies native to certain regions and the cold and hot both being able to damage link at there most extreme.

It took me 150+ hours to do everything this game had to offer, which I would say was more than enough for this kind of game. Not a single second of that time I consider wasted. I feel like this game provides everything necessary for a full fledged Zelda experience in an open world.

An absolutely incredible experience worth every penny paid and every second played.
  34. Apr 28, 2017
    It's commonplace nowadays to refer to The Legend of Zelda as formulaic, but the franchise is no stranger to sweeping change. From Ocarina of Time's 3D revolution to the touch-based DS experiments, Nintendo's flagship adventure series has tried quite a few new directions, with varying levels of success. None of those experiments, however, were as comprehensive as Breath of the Wild. AndIt's commonplace nowadays to refer to The Legend of Zelda as formulaic, but the franchise is no stranger to sweeping change. From Ocarina of Time's 3D revolution to the touch-based DS experiments, Nintendo's flagship adventure series has tried quite a few new directions, with varying levels of success. None of those experiments, however, were as comprehensive as Breath of the Wild. And none of them were ultimately as fantastic.

This sense of newness is made clear from the beginning, in which the player gets immediately cast as a long-slumbering Link, without any sort of exposition. The character has no memory, and only wakes up from his ressurection chamber following a mysterious voice echoing in his head.

The first moments of the game are spent exploring the Great Plateau, a location in central Hyrule that serves as an introduction to the game's main mechanics. However, after you're able to exit the Plateau thanks to your paraglider and tablet-like sheikah slate, you can go anywhere you please, including straight to the ruins of Hyrule Castle, where Calamity Ganon, the entitity who brought the world to ruin 100 years ago, waits. For a series that has become heavy on hand-holding, things are off to a great start.

The astounding level of freedom given to the player is only possible thanks to Link's game-changing ability to climb almost any surface. Previous Zelda titles would separate areas of the game by throwing unpassable mountains between them; here, each mountain is simply a new invitation to explore. The full-fledged physics engine, meanwhile, makes traversing each area even more addictive, as things just click together in a very organic way.

As someone who loves seamless exploration, I can get frustrated by intrusive story-heavy sections, all-too-common in releases nowadays. Breath of the Wild eschews this approach in a genius way: Link is soon able to recover several pictures in his sheikah slate, apparantly taken by Princess Zelda before the calamity. By finding the spots in those pictures, he can recover his memory piece by piece. This makes the story essentially a collectible, to be experienced according to the player's investigation skills, and one of the many reasons to thoroughly explore the world.

The game's Hyrule is a character unto itself: a post-apocaliptic world with signs of war and destruction at every corner, but which manages to also be extremely inviting in its pastoral beauty. Scattered over 15 seamlessly-connected, sprawling regions are plenty of ruins, but also towns, stables, landmarks, quirky characters, enemy camps, and (of course) a large number of secrets to uncover. Curiosity is always rewarded, sometimes with weapons or smaller collectibles, sometimes with large boss-like enemies or shrines.

Oh yeah, the shrines. You see, one of the longest-running Zelda traditions are its dungeons. You'd get to them (usually in linear order), solve their puzzles, collect treasure (including the special items needed to complete them), and beat the boss at the end.

Breath of the Wild, however, completely reimagines how this works. There are 120 shrines to find, and those are like bite-sized dungeons with puzzles and treasure chests. At the end of each of them, you get a spirit orb, needed to permanently increase energy and stamina. I'm of the mind that some Zelda titles can overdo dungeons, making them interminable sections of puzzle after puzzle in which I'm unable to even save and continue from where I stopped; for that reason, this new approach was a huge breath of fresh air. It also helps that the puzzles here are modular: many of them have several possible solutions, depending on how creative you want to get.

Of course, dungeons had an imponence that smaller shrines just can't match. This is where the actual stand-in for dungeons come into play. There are four of them, and they are probably the most epic thing I've seen in any Zelda game, ever. They have some key differences from traditional dungeons in how they work: each is one giant puzzle you need to solve progressively, and the ingenuity of their interconnected designs made me feel like an engineer at times for mastering them.

Speaking of story, this is a series-best. The melancholy of a devastated Hyrule can make each memory you recover extremely bittersweet, as you meet the champions that were supposed to fight the calamity, each with their own particular relationship with Link, and delve into the most well-developed Princess Zelda character we've ever been graced with.

it's weird to admit it, but Breath of the Wild single-handedly makes the entire catalogue of previous 3D Zelda games somewhat obsolete. Going back to the old approach would mean abandoning the extreme sense of freedom that pushes this game so much above everything else that's out right now. Either under the lens of the Zelda series, the open world genre, or gaming as an art form, Breath of the Wild is nothing short of a masterpiece.
  35. Jan 2, 2018
    This is one of the greatest games of all time and could be number one. The way the refined a legendary formula with the most open-world, do-anything experience is refreshing in a sense no other game can handle. The story is weak, but everything else is 10/10 or better.
  36. Xon
    Jan 8, 2018
    Wonderful game.
    Freedom to experiment.
    Designed to enourage real exploration.
    Great world that feels alive.
    Incredible little details.
    You can really do what you want.
    This game is the reason I play games.
  37. Apr 22, 2019
    Finally, the game that redefined Zelda! it has a bit of every modern game out there. A true masterpiece.
  38. Apr 30, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Portion of the Full Review]

For such an impressive and massive exploration of game design and creation, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is truly a testament to Nintendo’s commitment to quality experiences in perhaps what is their greatest series ever. There are a few technical issues at times and yet for the life of me I can think of no other detriments to the overall experience that Breath of the Wild offers- which is truly astounding in such a large game, as the majority of even the most finely tuned experiences such as The Witcher 3 have had their fair share of dramatic bugs and glitches over the years. All things said and done, where you’re a long-time fan of the series or a newcomer altogether, if you have a Wii U or perhaps the Nintendo Switch, I implore you to give this game a whirl as it’s a truly unforgettable and worthwhile experience like none other. It’s way too soon to tell for certain, but compared to even the greatest iterations of the series, Breath of the Wild will be remembered fondly.

Concept: Meld traditional elements of The Legend of Zelda series into a truly open world design that tasks players not only with survival but exploration for the sake of progressing through the experience.

Graphics: It is not the gritty experience that Twilight Princess was in its more realistic art direction and yet Breath of the Wild’s design is flawless and fits perfectly with the tones present throughout the narrative.

Sound: From nature’s call to the subtle yet fitting melodies that ramp up with each new discovery and encounter, the themes are slightly different from past soundtracks in the series and yet they work just as well.

Playability: Forget past issues with motion control and sometimes finicky elements on the Wii and Wii U, as far as I am concerned the mechanics and controls handle better than they ever have before.

Entertainment: Whether you choose to mix story and side elements or pursue one solely over the other, Breath of the Wild is a thrilling and compelling experience and one that you will surely remember for a long time to come.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 9.75
  39. May 26, 2020
    I'm shocked. How can you give 10/10 for a game that was intended to utilize gamepad, but eventually wasn't? For that very reason 9/10 is max whatever this game may be worth. They shown this feature in 2014 demo so it has clearly been disabled making this game "worse" on purpose. If it had utilized gamepad than what note would you give? 11/10 as it would be even more superb?... Just don'tI'm shocked. How can you give 10/10 for a game that was intended to utilize gamepad, but eventually wasn't? For that very reason 9/10 is max whatever this game may be worth. They shown this feature in 2014 demo so it has clearly been disabled making this game "worse" on purpose. If it had utilized gamepad than what note would you give? 11/10 as it would be even more superb?... Just don't get fooled by these fanboys. This is good and proper game (not that very good) but poor Zelda game. Remember The Legend of Zelda Link to the Past? Now imagine this in 3D, but without dungeons (!!!). Thats exactly what this game is. Overworld walking simulator without dungeons or any intricate stuff. Good walking simulator, but just walking simulator. 7/10 is max honest note for this game. Expand
  40. Aug 21, 2018
    This is simply a brilliant Zelda, the type every Zelda fan was hoping for. The world is magical and full of stories and adventures, playing it on WiiU rather than the Switch and still getting a max enjoyment out of it. I love the fighting and weapon management as well as the inventory. Worth every penny even though I got it heavily reduced for the WiiU.
  41. Apr 30, 2017
    I've played many other Zelda games: the original one, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and A Link Between Worlds. Breath of the Wild takes a step in a different direction from those games, as it focuses almost entirely on its open world exploration. It feels more like Skyrim in terms of gameplay, whileI've played many other Zelda games: the original one, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and A Link Between Worlds. Breath of the Wild takes a step in a different direction from those games, as it focuses almost entirely on its open world exploration. It feels more like Skyrim in terms of gameplay, while still feeling very much like earlier Zelda games in terms of setting and atmosphere.

Graphics: 10/10
    It looks beautiful. One of the best-looking games on the market.

Soundtrack: 7/10
    Atmospheric and fitting soundtrack, with some nods to the soundtracks of previous Zelda games. It fits the game nicely, and it is well produced, but I wouldn't listen to it outside the game. It is ultimately just background music, and it can be rather forgettable.

Story: 3/10
    Breath of the Wild is not a story-oriented game, and it shouldn't be reviewed as one. The story really doesn't have much going for it, but that doesn't detract much from my opinion of the game. This is an exploration-oriented adventure game, and it doesn't need a good story. However, if you are considering buying this game hoping for a good story, you might want to reconsider. It's basically a 30 minute story in a 200 hour game. Every other Zelda game I've played since and including A Link to the Past, has had a better story. I won't spoil anything, but the game starts with Link waking up after a long slumber, and he has lost his memory. The problem is, all the story bits happened before Link wakes up, i.e. before the game starts, i.e. it's all exposition. This exposition is told to you mostly through short memory snippet cutscenes. The cutscenes are quite nice and enjoyable, but they don't make a well told story. You start playing the game in what is technically the final resolution stage of the story.

Gameplay: 9/10
    This is the most important aspect of a game, and I believe it is the most subjective aspect to review. For me, Breath of the Wild has excellent gameplay. The world is filled with interesting places to explore, weapons to wield, enemies to fight, and things to do. You can even help build a new town! The game rewards exploration, which goes perfectly together with the large open world. The combat is very fun and not too complicated, and the difficulty level is perfect in my opinion. However, there is one mechanic that directly obstructs the exploration-focused gameplay: rain. Specifically, the fact that rain makes climbing nigh impossible. This is implemented intentionally at one point during the game, to prevent you from taking shortcuts through a certain area. And that's perfectly fine. But the random rain that occurs throughout the game is anything but fine. Exploration is the key focus of this game, and climbing is one of the key methods for exploring the world. It should NOT be compromised for the added realism of a random rain mechanic. That, along with some recurring frame rate drops, keeps this game from getting a perfect 10 for gameplay.

Overall: 9/10
  42. Aug 18, 2018
    Best open world game ever made. There is no argument. Not the best Zelda game ever though in terms of story or Temples. But it's a different type of game. This game does everything right, and bring joy back into the heart of even the most cynical and experienced gamer.
  43. Jan 29, 2018
    This game has to be the new referent of the open world game formula. It has the best exploration in a videogame ever because every one of their mechanics are made to complement it. Every single one of them. This game is a masterpiece and a light source at the same time. I just hope that Nintendo realized why is this game so good, and the other companies too.

The only issue with the game

The only issue with the game (in the WiiU version) is that sometimes has framerate drops, mainly in the villages and in the Forest. But besides that, nothing to complain about it. Well, the DLC could have been better and explore new possibilities, but this is just my opinion. Still pretty good in overall.

Play this **** game.
  44. Sep 7, 2018
    Zelda: BotW is one of those games that can really help one re-kindle the love and passion towards video games once again in these dark times. The LoZ series has never exactly suffered of lack of quality, but its highest highs are so towering, that even "pretty good" results may seem pathetic in comparison at times.
    Breath Of The Wild tackles two seemingly opposing tasks at once: taking
    Breath Of The Wild tackles two seemingly opposing tasks at once: taking the series back to its VERY roots, as in NES' Zelda 1, and providing a modern, truly open-world experience as well. Most of the fans already do know that LoZ1 was technically one of the earliest "open world" games, with no real guidance forcing you down to a specific path. Thus, BotW mimicking this design style is not exactly anything new, but how it goes performing this task is nothing short of unique and amazing.

After the relative short, yet already very non-patronizing "tutorial section", which itself has more freedom and features than some full games, the player is free to explore the now ruined world of Hyrule as they please. You get only a couple pointers that you may choose to follow at your own pace, like the ultimate goal of defeating the final evil that constantly lurks in the horizon, but ultimately BotW is all about free, self-imposed exploration, discovery, and improving yourself in order to take on even bigger challenges. Unlike in most other, modern open-world games, you're not given a pile of tasks and checklists to complete; instead, your own curiosity guides you at all times, to adventures not written down as a script. It's quite common to climb on top of a good vantage point, scan the landscape, see one or two interesting details in the environment, and start proceeding towards them ... only to get distracted mid-way by something totally different and forget what you were doing originally.

You get a handful of magical items almost right off the bat, and it's up to you to figure out when and how to use these dynamic tools during your quest. Not only that, the game seemingly lacks traditional obstacles, as just about every single wall, cliff and tree can be climbed. This vertical freedom truly opens up the world in never before seen ways, but at the same time it's balanced with the simple stamina system and the dynamic, area-specific weather conditions. You can help your character's own performance in numerous ways, such as by equipping various clothes that provide stat boosts, or by cooking dishes and potions that provide a momentary effects.

Which brings me to the next innovation and milestone of this game: its pile of intertwined systems and physics. Just about everything seems to interact with everything in a logical, albeit in exaggerated ways in BotW: grass and wooden items may catch fire, metal and water conduct electricity, trees may be chopped down and used to form bridges or make-shift boulder traps, fire-based weapons and hot food protect you from freezing blizzards and cold items from burning heat ... the list goes on. Ergo, a smart player can exploit these systems in many clever ways, tackling obstacles in innovative ways, thus saving you from the trouble of just walking and trying to smack things dead.

If you go around lurking on the internet, you may find nitpicks about most things you may discover in the Hyrule to boil down to two types of collectibles. While you indeed will get very familiar with Shrines and Seeds, make no mistake: the game has tons of other content as well. However, because the joy of exploration and discovering things yourself is such a centric part of BotW's appeal, I'd rather avoid spoiling too much of these elements. I can however say that old-time fans may locate things that will certainly tickle their nostalgic heart.

Audio-visually BotW is top-notch. The non-realistic art style helps make the game world feel more cohesive, believable even with all its magical feats. Yet it is indeed very impressive to see some of the more modern effects, such as screen-space reflections, wet-surface effects and dynamic lighting, to be used in a WiiU game. At best, the game truly looks beautiful, and the atmospheric, sparingly used soundtrack only enhances the exploration.

Controls are nothing special, but I don't feel like they ever got in my way. Some of the menu designs clearly hint at the game being designed to use the touch-screen at one point, but unfortunately now you can only use the tablet for gyro-aiming (big help when using a bow!) and to toggle the image between TV and the tablet.

tl;dr: Breath Of The Wild is THE most "open" open-world game ever. The most dynamic and detailed open world game, ever. One of the least handholding open-world game, ever. This game's an adventure, not a story-rich fairytale you consume in one sitting. And I dare to say, this might be the first game to truly rival the GOTYAY titles like Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask. And I don't easily give such praise.
  45. Jun 26, 2018
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild, revoluciona la industria de los videojuegos con su gran historia, sumamente larga durabilidad del juego (más de 300 horas si buscas completarlo al 100%), y sus gráficos brutales en Wii U y Switch. Implementa elementos de otros juegos de Zelda, y crea un sandbox y juego de rol con un mapa enorme, este juego cambia tu perspectiva sobre que es un TheThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild, revoluciona la industria de los videojuegos con su gran historia, sumamente larga durabilidad del juego (más de 300 horas si buscas completarlo al 100%), y sus gráficos brutales en Wii U y Switch. Implementa elementos de otros juegos de Zelda, y crea un sandbox y juego de rol con un mapa enorme, este juego cambia tu perspectiva sobre que es un The Legend of Zelda en el buen sentido, el único Zelda que le hace competencia a este es Ocarina of Time, el cual para mi, junto con Breath of the Wild, son los 2 mejores videojuegos de Nintendo y probablemente de la historia. Las mazmorras no son tan largas como en otros Zeldas ni tan complicadas, pero la sensación de completarlas y liberar cada una de las bestias divinas es de lo mejor, el juego te da total libertad, mundo abierto, mapa enorme, misiones principales y secundarias muy buenas, el mejor apartado musical de la saga junto con The Wind Waker y Spirit Tracks, gráficos HD, ¿Qué mas puedes pedir en un juego?, si es cierto que la versión de Wii U a veces baja de los 30 fps, pero se comprende ya que el juego tiene muchos elementos en pantalla, y solo hay pantallas de carga cuando te teletransportas y algunas pausas pero mínimas antes de las cinemáticas (menos de 1 segundo), también cabe recalcar que los bajones de fps o frames se dan de forma muy puntual y rara sobre todo en Wii U, en N Switch los bajones son más raros aún. Si eres fan de The Lgend of Zelda, de sus buenas historias, de la música, de juegos largos y de Nintendo, este juego tiene todo lo necesario para engancharte durante muchas horas, e incluso puede que repitas la historia varias veces ya que el juego, de verdad se ve muy bien en cuanto a gráficos y es bonito el mapa. Este juego, sin duda, es el mejor juego de Wii U, y si no lo tienes deberías comprarlo. Expand
  46. Oct 26, 2018
    An absolutely stunning, breathtaking masterpiece, which may very well be the most beautiful game I've ever played. The entire game is gorgeous, scenic, and atmospheric to a near-magical level. From a mechanical perspective, Breath of the Wild is very fun and satisfying, with a very easy learning curve and low skill cap. As such, the game is accessible to a large audience. Breath of theAn absolutely stunning, breathtaking masterpiece, which may very well be the most beautiful game I've ever played. The entire game is gorgeous, scenic, and atmospheric to a near-magical level. From a mechanical perspective, Breath of the Wild is very fun and satisfying, with a very easy learning curve and low skill cap. As such, the game is accessible to a large audience. Breath of the Wild doesn't have a quantifiable difficulty due to its RPG elements, so the challenge distribution and pacing is arbitrary. The entire experience comes together to provide one of the most whimsical, amazing adventures possible. Despite some obtrusive storytelling, Breath of the Wild remains one of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  47. Oct 16, 2018
    One of very few games I would give a 10 to. LoZ: Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece. The world, the difficulty, and the openness of the game all contribute to a roller coaster ride of emotion and adventure. As you play as Link, the plot of the game is almost entirely up to you. What I mean by that is that "going off the beaten path" is not just an option but is a requirement for thisOne of very few games I would give a 10 to. LoZ: Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece. The world, the difficulty, and the openness of the game all contribute to a roller coaster ride of emotion and adventure. As you play as Link, the plot of the game is almost entirely up to you. What I mean by that is that "going off the beaten path" is not just an option but is a requirement for this game. This game is not the destination but the JOURNEY. Every time you open your map, you are just amazed at the sheer size of this world. As for the combat, it's relatively simple but still painstakingly difficult. So by the end of the game, you will notice that you have developed as a player (without some ridiculous buff or power-up).

The graphics and enemy AI have received a massive upgrade from the previous games. In fact, almost everything is different. The only thing similar to the other games is the three main characters, the triforce, and the master sword. As a long time Zelda fan, this is the best one yet.
  48. Aug 3, 2020
    One of the best games this generation and one of the best games in the Zelda series. Its best described as Ocarina of Time crossed with Skyrim and its just as awesome as that sounds. Easily the best game I played in 2017 and the best game I played on the Wii U. Yes I could have bought the Switch version but the game was developed for the Wii U so I figured it would play better.
  49. Apr 2, 2017
    Positive
    - The graphics is somehow one of the most beautiful and ugly graphics (see below) I've ever seen. The graphics generate an amazing atmosphere, and the art style is really distinctive and definitely recognizable.
    Positive
    - The level of detail is absolutely astonishing. So many small details that add atmosphere, and you're always discovering new details as you play on (e.g. Link sweating while climbing a mountain, or him shivering in the menu animation when you're in a cold area).
    - I really liked how many small puzzles can be found throughout the world. Most of the times, if you come across something that strikes you as a little "odd", you will most likely have found another one of the what feels like millions of mini puzzles.
    - If you love exploring an open world, this game will get you hooked instantly. The world is...incredibly vast. I think I have never seen an open world that big.
    - Summed up: This is one of those games I played for a few hours straight without actually having done anything. Which is something amazing to accomplish.

Neutral
    - It's an open world game alright. This comes with all the benefits and problems open world games have. Although the world is vast and beautiful, it also just feels empty at times. Additionally, you will do a lot of typical "open world quests", i.e. climbing towers, collecting materials etc.
    - For me, the world didn't really feel alive. There are some NPCs you come across that react very naturally to you, but there are also, as mentioned above, so many empty spots in the world.
    - The story is...a typical Zelda story. I like it, but I can see a lot of people that might not know Zelda feeling a little disappointed throughout the game (it's very generic).

Negative
    - The framerate is awful. We're not talking "stable 30 fps with a few dips". I think it's important that you are fully aware that the Wii U version feels more like a "average 15 fps" game. At no point did the game actually run smoothly, and basically any sudden change in camera angle (e.g. if you fall into water and look down) will have a frame dip.
    I know there are a lot of people that aren't bothered that much by bad framerates, but for me Breath of the Wild is borderline "unplayable".
    - Controls are, because of the framerate issues mentioned above, very unreliable and feel sluggish at best.
    - The sound design is very disappointing. The music is very minimalistic, and the sound effects, although "100 % Zelda", do not really feel fitting.
    - I'm absolutely not a fan of the "breakable weapon" concept. It doesn't really add anything in terms of actual depth of gameplay, but rather forces you to always make sure to have a good stock of weapons.
    - The menus are very, very micromanagement heavy. Crafting is possible and encouraged, but feels very bare bone. Creating food is a tedious process of selecting the ingredients you want to use, exiting the menu, throwing them into a pot, wait a few seconds, and then get one food item out of it.

Recommendation
    Let's be honest: If you grew up with Zelda games (like me), you will buy this game anyway. Still, I'm convinced that this game, would it not have been a Zelda game, would not have gotten anything else than mediocre scores. As breathtaking as the open world and level of detail is, the overall performance is horrible, and yet I still keep coming back to play this game.
  50. Apr 6, 2017
    Definitely without a doubt the best game in the Zelda franchise since Ocarina of Time. Do not mind the other reviews labeling it as "overrated" as many of their claims are untrue. It's unlikely any of the poor reviews have actually touched the game.

For example. The world is FAR from empty. The world in Breath of the Wild is MASSIVE, but it's unlikely you'll ever come across an empty wasteland. You can't go 20 steps without finding something whether it be a shrine, an enemy, a hidden treasure, or even an all new side quest to complete. You can hunt for Korak seeds, battle guardians to collect rare materials, or upgrade your clothing and armor in various different ways.

The beautiful stylized graphics really help this vibrant world pop and set itself apart from other open world adventure games.All the enemies have a unique design and are color coded to help determine the difficulty. Red enemies are typically easy while silver variations are difficult but chock full of goodies as a reward for defeating them. You can easily climb up this enemy food chain by defeating them and stealing their weapons and become a powerhouse.

The combat is very fleshed out as well. Bows and arrows, swords, bombs, special abilities gained from taming the divine beasts, and even your shields can be used as weapons to deflect enemy projectiles. The targeting is great and never locks on to enemies you don't want them to. Many enemies have their own unique way of battling them. It's not just charge in and mash the attack button. You'll get killed if you do that!

The amount of variety, content, and detail in this game is incredible. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (as of now) definitely deserves to be game of the year!
  51. May 12, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be careful not to buy into the hype on this one. While the world is mostly beautiful and the gameplay is fresh for the franchise, it's not "the best game of all time." There are plenty of games prior to BotW which deserve higher praise.

As an open world game, it falls for many of the trappings one would expect from it. The map is wrought with towers to reveal hidden areas and there are plenty of repetitive tasks to do.

The world is vibrant and full of interesting locals and NPCs to help build up a believable Hyrule. This is the games strongest aspect. Unfortunately all of the locations are the same as usual. You have the forest, desert, ocean and volcano zones. Nothing surprising there.

The combat is great, but not as great as Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, though. Every enemy encounter feels like a challenge. The game isn't well balanced, though. Some enemies in the game are too powerful. This is especially evident at the end where you get hit once by a low level enemy and lose most of your hearts. This results in you being forced to open the menu and use a healing item... every single time you are hit. Let's not mention the stupid weapon durability system.

Another annoyance is the over abundance of the SAME enemies in ALL areas of the game. Most Zelda games pride themselves on interesting enemy designs that fit to their dedicated zones. NOT in this one. From beginning to end you're fighting pig men, lizard men and robots. Even the bosses are the same creature every encounter.

The dungeons, if you want to call them dungeons, are interesting little puzzles that are executed neatly. That's all I can say about them. The lack of real dungeons is a serious omission.

The open ended nature of this game is both its greatest element and its weakest. For example, Hyrule castle is presented as an enormous challenge. To get through the gate, one must defeat an onslaught of tough enemies JUST to get a chance at fighting Ganon. There's one way around this... if you take what you learned from the game (which is to avoid difficult situations completely) then you can easily climb a pillar behind the castle and glide directly to Ganon's chamber. This mechanic is game breaking in many situations like this. Instead of forcing the player to take the plunge, it just gives you the tools to ignore it entirely for the easy way out. This is not good game design. It's intentions are to give the player freedom, but there's a TOO much freedom here.
  52. Mar 8, 2017
    The game has a lot of exploration, freedom, depth and is super fun. There is a wide variety of ennemies, wildlife, items, challenges, gear, side missions, and things to do in general. The art style is gorgeous and the music is very beautiful. But the framerate drops below 30 quite often in towns and in busy areas in general. The resolution is low and there is noticeable aliasingThe game has a lot of exploration, freedom, depth and is super fun. There is a wide variety of ennemies, wildlife, items, challenges, gear, side missions, and things to do in general. The art style is gorgeous and the music is very beautiful. But the framerate drops below 30 quite often in towns and in busy areas in general. The resolution is low and there is noticeable aliasing everywhere. Otherwise, the gameplay is fantastic. There is no hand holding and you get to explore everything in this rich world. Every corner hides a chest, a boss, a puzzle, a cool weapon, an environment you have to learn to deal with. There's plenty of surprising things along the way: taming horses, getting to know the characters, buying a house, riding a bear, getting new powers, finding new ways to take down ennemies, new ways to travel by land, air and water. The game is just filled with cool stuff to do and you never feel in an empty repetitive open world. It's very entertaining for hours and hours, there's always something new and fun to do. The cooking only is something you'll enjoy experimenting with a lot.
    I'm disappointed by the performance, resolution and aliasing though and I'll admit that it takes a bit from the immersion and overall enjoyment.
  53. Mar 30, 2017
    As a Zelda fan, I consider Breath of the Wild a good game but it's not as perfect as most reviewers say because:

1. Poor acting choices (Zelda) If you decide to include a few (and just a few) voices in the game just do it right! Zelda has always been one of my favourite characters since Ocarina of Time. She was mysterious, daring and somehow cool. I'm so disappointed with her

1. Poor acting choices (Zelda)

If you decide to include a few (and just a few) voices in the game just do it right! Zelda has always been one of my favourite characters since Ocarina of Time. She was mysterious, daring and somehow cool. I'm so disappointed with her ridiculously trembling voice that no one can believe nor take seriously.

There are a few other issues with the game but Zelda's voice is something that could have been chosen right easily!

2. Frustrating climbing

It rains a lot in Breath of the Wild and whenever it rains, you can't climb. It's that simple. I was stuck on an island with no shrines around and no way to make fire but I wanted to explore it anyway. All I could do was wait a long while until I was able to climb to keep checking the island. Another good example is when you are near the top of the mountain and then it starts raining and you fall all the way down. Lovely! To make things worse, 90% of the terrain requires climbing.

3. Disappointing dungeons (including the mystical ones)

I firmly believe that they are the worst in the series. Mostly, they are superficial and gimmicky.

4. Awkward inventory system

You have to eat food to restore hearts and stamina in a pause menu which feels very awkward to do while climbing and fighting. Also, all weapons break easily so you have to hold right to open the weapons menu and select another weapon in the middle of almost every single fight, which literally breaks the action.

5. Technical issues (choppy frame rate and game freezing)

Noticeable technical issues don't make a good game bad but they are detrimental to the enjoyment of the game, period.

6. Visuals are good and bad

Some places look quite good, like the beaches and sea, while other places look not exactly pointillist but just blurry a la Skyward Sword.

7. Music (where?)

Seriously, where's the music? All you are going to hear most of the time is some short harmonies (no, it's not your phone's notifications) or background sounds. And why did they replace the old ranch music with the new and much worse one? Zora's music is still awesome but it's drowned in the water and can hardly be heard.

Conclusion

I still like the game quite much regardless of its issues but after over 80 hours I can't see why it should be considered the best Zelda game ever. Reviewers will admit this eventually, once enough time has passed by. There are a few articles daring to say so already. I think some hidden Switch marketing is the reason for many websites to crown Breath of the Wild. Nevertheless, it's a good game that is so overrated.
  54. Apr 3, 2017
    Before I start, I've played the game at least 24 hours, MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Although not every NPC has a voice acting, like most open world games does, at least it has a great voice acting in the important parts. I love the games that have logic, for example in botw, the metal equipment that attracts lightning, the hot, cold, and burning status the slippery in the mountains and every
    Before I start, I've played the game at least 24 hours, MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

I love the games that have logic, for example in botw, the metal equipment that attracts lightning, the hot, cold, and burning status the slippery in the mountains and every climbable thing, the normal arrows that can transform in fire arrows using something flammable, and many other things. Also, I like the story, but unless you get every memory you will not understand it, my recommendation is to find every memory first, and then go fight Ganon. (If you have troubles trying to find out where each memory is, check the picture and try to translate the text in the upper right of the photo, that will give you a hint).
    How many Easter eggs, and throwbacks the game has. For example the thre dragons that you can find in the game, the ruins of famous places, and many other things.
    Other thing that I found great is how realistic the horses are, and the vatiety of them, how each horse has different attributes, I can see that they've put a lot of effort in making the horses look realistic.
    All the tedious thing that you have to do to complete the game 100%, collecting the 900 korok seed, or Finding all the hidden shrines, and taking a a picture of everything for example.

What I don't like that much is that there are some creatures that are much harder to kill than ganon, for example the lynels, also I don't like that much how fast weapons break, like literally, with 10 swing almost any weapon breaks, other think that id didn't like at all, like not even a little is what happens after you defeat ganon, and no, I'm not talking of going back to the entrance, I'm talking about the story after you defeat him, also, I HATE that there is no after story (yeah, I know that many games don't have one, but they could have changed that). What I would do is add an after story where you can live with the princess, or find something to revive everyone, or a mission to help build the hyrule castle back or at least see the caste cleaned and beatiful, and last but nor least, the creatures may be tough at first, but then they are to easy

P.D: If think that the game is easy, there are a lot of things you can do as a challenge, first of all, eliminate the map, the time, the thermometer, and don't upgrade your gear
  55. Jul 25, 2017
    My cons with Zelda Breath of the Wild after 200 hours.
    ---> the story is bad,, nothing is epic, the sandbox takes all the space.
    My cons with Zelda Breath of the Wild after 200 hours.
    ---> the story is bad,, nothing is epic, the sandbox takes all the space.
    ---> We don't care about the NPCs, not even their names like we used to in previous Zelda games. You can skip them and if you come back later to them they give you outdated news like "oh, there is a Shrine above Kakariko" (oh really?). They are not even in danger, they are not miserable, the 4 divinities are not dangerous, they should be used to them now, they have been corrupted for 100 years! 100 years!! 1 or 2 generations and yet they still complain about them!!. Those NPCs have no background: Hyrule has been destroyed recently and no one talks about that! They don't even know Link the knight of Zelda! Again, the story sucks, not even plausible. Miyamoto said he didn't care about the story. You see the result. How can you feel a Heros, there are nothing to save, no Ganon if you don't go and meet him. Zelda is more than 100 years old like her horse. Ok.
    IMO, Link should have been 10 000 years old, woke up naked in a forest, with no memory and he would have made his own destiny from here.
    Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask are way better in term of story/pace/emotion.
    ---> You can't go fishing, like on a lake, with a boat. You don't meet an old sea dog who would tell you about a monster in the lake. NO, here everybody can see dragons flying in the air every day. Everything is fine. All the more those dragons just belongs to the farming system of the game. Woohoo!
    ---> No undergrounds, no caverns to explore. The only dark area sucks (bird statue temple to get another shrine)
    ---> You can't dive with the Zora outfit.
    ---> Infinite bombs. Bad idea.
    ---> Uninteresting side quests even if there were a few good ideas.
    ---> a lot of food for nothing. You always make the same easy and efficient recipes. There are not even a book in your inventory to remember them.
    ---> make a fire and change time is mainly useless. It could have brought a survival system (sleep/eat).
    ---> 900 korok seeds. I understand why but, there were better to do. More complex conundrums with bigger secrets, not trinkets behind a breakable wall (...)
    ---> few enemies, they all look the same like their camps.
    ---> there were farmers outside villages in the first presentation of the game.
    ---> No obstacle linked to enemies, or any events. Camps protect nothing, Lynels protect nothing. They are just idiot monsters doing nothing. And why can you climb everything in the first place. The game give you everything, all the powers. The endurance jauge is not a real issue.
    ---> That's why you leave your horse so often, climbing is better. Climbing should have been given later.
    ---> no hidden Temple, protected by magic like the two sphinx statues in "The Never ending Story" for instance, no "Great River of Wilderlands" with giant statues like in "Lord of the rings". Everything is open, dammit!
    ---> Bosses suck. Ganon is a shame. His second form is pathetic. A awful rip-off of Nago in Princess Mononoke.
    ---> 4 forgettable & easy dungeons.
    ---> Shrines may last 1 minute or 10? 20 of them are trials of power. 20! Too much.
    ---> Kakariko village famous tune is gone. No graveyard, no link with previous Zelda games unless the name of the regions (by the way, the ruins of Lon Lon Ranch are recent, it makes no sense again).

Not a bad game of course, exploring the world is great, sure Nintendo worked hard on the engine. but it could have been way better. Zelda is not epic anymore since Wind Waker. I hope it will be a good basis for the next one. At least it is way better than Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword.
  56. Mar 7, 2017
    It's amazing! I have probably put in close to 30 hours and I'm nowhere close to beating it. I am working on one of the four "dungeons" that the game offers and it seems like it is going to be a good one. The framerate issues haven't been an issue for me and I think that people are just being really critical, it's not like these issues happen often or it goes to a crawl. The game is greatIt's amazing! I have probably put in close to 30 hours and I'm nowhere close to beating it. I am working on one of the four "dungeons" that the game offers and it seems like it is going to be a good one. The framerate issues haven't been an issue for me and I think that people are just being really critical, it's not like these issues happen often or it goes to a crawl. The game is great and I am loving the combat and everything about the game and am looking forward to putting 100+ hours into the game and then getting this on the switch when I pick one up. Expand
  57. Mar 16, 2017
    An amazing open world experience, but not quite the perfect game I expected.

An amazing open world experience, but not quite the perfect game I expected.

My expectations for Breath of the Wild were very high, as the game has received many perfect scores throughout the release period. The game does so many things right. Exploration rewards you by providing treasures or puzzles that reward you with items that further your strength as a hero. Situations that are thrown at you can be handled in a variety of ways and some of them are more creative than I would have expected. The quest system is varied and the world feels full of life and danger.

The wide array of outfits and weapons available to you throughout the game is impressive, and finding a new weapon that you love is a good feeling.. until you realize it's going to break. Early on the weapon durability system is quite frustrating. I found myself having to resort to using whatever cheap weapon my enemies dropped and saving my good weapons for a harder enemy. Some may say this is a good thing as it challenges the player to decide when to use a certain weapon. I felt, however, that this restricted the player into using weapons that were not only bad, but also not fun to wield. Picking up a club from an enemy and using that instead of the shiny sword you just found in a shrine is not a challenge but instead a mechanic that restricts you. If you choose to use your sword on enemies who are not very strong you will end up breaking that sword and being forced to pick up their less powerful weapon. If you choose to save it for a stronger foe your going to be using sticks to hit everything until you find an enemy worth using your sword on. I will admit once you get to later stages of the game and are able to take on the games' harder enemies, you will find yourself always well equipped and shouldn't have much of an issue with finding good equipment. That said I'm a firm believer that weapon durability is not a fun mechanic and hope it doesn't make a return in further installments.

As far as combat goes Breath of the Wild does a fantastic job of making every encounter fun. Whether you go straight at them in a man fight or you decide to get crafty with the environment, battling monsters in Hyrule has never been more fun. I do wish there were more kinds of monsters to face instead of just slight variations, but it's a complaint that doesn't make the game any less enjoyable. The game also allows you to hunt certain creatures to gather their meat that you can use for cooking. Cooking is a great mechanic added to the game and there is so many different recipes that you could write a recipe book. Speaking of which, I think a recipe book would have been a great addition to the game. It's not terribly difficult to remember the most common recipes you use, but having a place to view all the different meals you can make would be a nice thing to look at.

The map is chock full of things to do and places to go. Classic locations such as Kakariko Village make their return and many more new locations are there to discover. Each village or town feels full of life and has plenty to do. The various characters you come across in your journey each feel different and purposeful. The story does it's job of introducing some of these characters to you, but it doesn't flesh them out as well as I would have liked. Many of the major characters in the game are voice acted and while that is a good step forward for the series, the voice acting in Breath of the Wild is not great. Some of the lines are laughable, some of the characters don't have a voice that fits, and we never get to hear Link talk. Overall the story does it's job and is not bad, but it doesn't do much service to Ganondorf or some of the other characters I would have liked to see more of.

There's plenty more to discover in this game and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes Zelda or open world games in general. While I don't think buying a Switch exclusively for this game is worth it to the average person, the game is definitely worth picking up if you already have a Wii U or an abundance of cash. The Wii U is the system I played the game on and it looked gorgeous. The framerate struggled at certain points and in certain areas but overall it was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Breath of the Wild deserves a nine out of ten for the fantastic way it brings the Zelda franchise forward, but I think the few issues I've listed keep it from being the perfect game I was hoping for.
  58. Mar 5, 2017
    I'll be honest. I didn't believe the hype, not one bit. I'm a 2D Zelda fan and have always preferred A Link To The Past and A Link Between Worlds far more than Ocarina, etc. I'm not a hipster by any means, I just always got lost, confused, and bored when playing 3D Zelda games.

Nonetheless, I was a die hard Wii U fan for the little bit of time that it was relevant so I gave Breath of the Wild a shot, knowing that it would be the last Wii U game I'd ever buy.

I'm absolutely stunned.

This isn't the best game I've played this year - for me that's Watch Dogs 2 - but Breath of the Wild is definitely the first time in a long, long time that I've agreed with game critics reviews 100%. This is Zelda defined. I'm barely 10 hours into this thing and am so blown away by it that my face is numb from smiling so much. Think that sounds cheesy? Consider that I'm a 45 year old gamer from the stone age - and I'm loving every minute of this.

Kudos Nintendo. Way to send the Wii U out with a bang - and usher in the Switch.
  59. dty
    Mar 21, 2017
    A realistic review from a big Nintendo and Zelda fan.

A realistic review from a big Nintendo and Zelda fan.

Amazing open world with incredible exploration potential. Players who like to run around and find things for themselves will get lost in this beautiful world. The story is also decent enough, and there's a bunch of great quirky mechanics particularly in puzzle solving that are a bunch of fun. Also a honorable mention to the cooking which is great.

That being said, this is far from a 10/10 and labeling it as such is just ridiculous. The game has flaws, very big flaws that to overlook and give a perfect score shows nothing more than denial and fanboy-ism. The game performs rather badly, very badly in places, that alone is enough to knock it down. The combat is clunky and not challenging, and the durability is just terrible. Having weapons made of glass is neither fun nor realistic it is just bad design. The stamina system is frustrating and not innovative at all, especially in a game of exploration the mechanic becomes extremely tiresome. Likewise did the shrines become tiresome, repetitive and all look the same. I could go on but you get the picture, the game as flaws.

People who enjoy exploration and fans of the Zelda franchise will enjoy this game, while it will be a mediocre experience for everyone else.
  60. Mar 20, 2017
    I purchased this game, and I confess I have been waiting for this game a long time.
    I was afraid my expectations would be let down. But when I started to play... this has exceeded all the expectations!
    I love the new free world experience. the wold is big and it is so fun to explore. I don't feel like there are too many "empty" places in between explorations. I loved the new degradion
    I loved the new degradion system, it really adds up to the "survivalist" mode of this new Zelda
    cooking is really nice and I had to use it wisely to beat some hard foes.
    I love the upgradable system.
    the story is beautiful, and I love the references to old games.
    the game looks AMAZING. cartoonish graphs but placed in a very nice way....
    I confess I got emotional playing this new game. really great job Nintendo!

just sad to see so many bad reviws giving zeroes from people that did not even play the game and are just upset because their company game didn't make a so big score!
  61. Mar 10, 2017
    People trying to tell you that the Wii U release is a somehow gimped and/or inferior version are flat-out wrong. It is possible to avoid some of the framerate drops in the Switch version by playing it in handheld mode, but they're otherwise identical.

Some framerate issues, repeated unskippable cutscenes, overactive weapon degradation, and extremely segmented puzzle elements are the biggest marring points on what is otherwise probably my favourite Zelda game to date. The worst thing that can probably be said about it is that it "isn't Zelda"; which isn't completely inaccurate in terms of the structure and progression of the game. Conventional dungeons have been replaced with a series of 120 shrines, best described as puzzle rooms, which are how you upgrade your health and stamina now. Other than that, the world is yours to explore and discover at your leisure, including running dick-first into the endgame at any point that you might feel particularly masochistic. Some people evidently are not a fan of this, but personally I think it is a LONG overdue revitalization of the series, and overall a flawed masterpiece.
  62. Mar 8, 2017
    Framerate issues, and the world could be a bit more dense, but other than that, I adore this game. First game in a long time I truly felt whisked away to another world.
  63. Mar 8, 2017
    Imperdibile. Se avete modo di giocarlo fatelo.
    Per bilanciare gli scemi che hanno dato 0 e che dimostrano di non conoscere la statistica dovrei dargli almeno 16, ma il massimo è 10!
  64. Mar 4, 2017
    Its a wonderful game. Honors the very first game, the story and mythos of the franchise.
    And has the same aspect and performance of the Switch version
  65. Mar 6, 2017
    The only problem that i find is the fall of frames in certain places, such as the beginning of the game.

Voices, History, Controls, Gameplay, Scenarios 10/10.

There are only voices during the cinematics, so It really feels like a zelda and link has no voice.

All the important characters have a lot of charisma, you really will care about them.
  66. Mar 11, 2017
    One of the few games that lived up to the hype. We waited years and Nintendo truly delivered. I've become so engrossed in the game and have spent the last few hours shield boarding. Runs fine on my Wii U but does suffer drops. But nothing too serieous.
  67. Mar 8, 2017
    While not perfect this game is excellent. The open world setting fits very well with the feel of Zelda and I quickly found myself lost in a fantasy world hunting down shrines and towers. The world is densely populated and there never feels like huge expanses of nothing. Somehow the world feels alive and everywhere you go there are glowing towers or glowing shrines to find and explore. IWhile not perfect this game is excellent. The open world setting fits very well with the feel of Zelda and I quickly found myself lost in a fantasy world hunting down shrines and towers. The world is densely populated and there never feels like huge expanses of nothing. Somehow the world feels alive and everywhere you go there are glowing towers or glowing shrines to find and explore. I always feel like I have a clear goal and even choice between multiple different goals. The combat mechanics are polished and it feels good to get a perfect parry or dodge then strike your enemies with a flurry of attacks.
    I don't like the durability on your weapons though and after killing a few enemies even the good weapons break which is frustrating. In one part I got what is basically a lightsaber and it lasted me only a single fight which didn't feel cool. I started using the garbage clubs the basic mooks drop so that I could save my good weapons for later and I think that's poor game design to force me to use garbage to fight instead of my awesome silver greatsword or lightsaber.
    I also dislike the fact that you get a special magic tablet thing right at the start but the Wii U gamepad does nothing. I know that the Wii U was a failure but it seems pretty ridicolous that a major story item would fit perfectly with the gamepad and they passed up such a great opportunity. At the very least they could have made it a map. This was the last big release for the Wii U and they didn't bother even trying to make use of the gamepad that made it unique. It is a missed opportunity they won't get again for any major releases.
    Aside from these criticisms the game is very well polished and is enjoyable to play. It is an excellent Zelda game and deserve the high praise it is receiving. I am impressed that the transition to open world was handled so well and it is not only one of the best Zelda games I've played but one of the best open world games. What I enjoy in open world games is having cool little things to do in between the big story things. When I set out in breath of the wild it is an adventure getting from point A to point B and there is so much in the world to distract me that hours flew by and I was left wanting more.
    I give this game a 9/10 because the combat, open world, and most of the gameplay are spot on and make for an exceptionally well polished experience. However it is far from a perfect game and I am dissapointed that their Wii U release didn't make full use of the gamepad and the weapon durablity system is anti fun.
  68. Mar 4, 2017
    Very good but not great.

Very good but not great.

There are some annoyances for me keep me from believing this is a great game, and it's definitely not a great Zelda game. Stamina is frustrating, what's the point of it when you can just craft a potion to restore it? If it's to make you waste a lot of time foraging, then well done. In the beginning there is a lot of stuff that can one shot you. I am never a fan of exploration based games that kill you instantly. Why have stuff in the starter area that can insta kill you? The shrines/dungeons are so short and not intuitive. I have only completed 8 so far, but there is nothing special about them. The first 4 introduced new mechanics, while the latter 4 did not even use the mechanics and werent challenging at all.

The game is fun, it looks good, and it sounds like Zelda. It doesnt play like a Zelda game,
  69. Mar 7, 2017
    Overall, It's fantastic. Blends several different mechanics from some of the most successful games of the last ten years. They seem to take away the annoying parts of those games in favor of a simplified entirely enjoyable experience. The English voice acting's not great honestly, and kind of annoying. I'm surprised to see voice acting at all. There's not too much; just here and there, butOverall, It's fantastic. Blends several different mechanics from some of the most successful games of the last ten years. They seem to take away the annoying parts of those games in favor of a simplified entirely enjoyable experience. The English voice acting's not great honestly, and kind of annoying. I'm surprised to see voice acting at all. There's not too much; just here and there, but still annoying. Beautiful expansive environment with little to no loading times for most of it. Just loads the intro, when you die, dungeons, and a few other places. I'm not used to Wii U controls, I usually play PS4 or the XBO controller on Steam, so the controls feel kinda backwards to me but that's just Nintendo controls in general. I'm dying A LOT as a result of that, but that's just my not being used to it. I do wish you could chose to remap controls more than just switching the jump button. The characters have a ton of personality and life, it's awesome! I feel like I'm interacting with real people and enemies with real lives. When fighting, the reactions to what's happening in combat on the faces of the enemy are vibrant and full of personality. The game doesn't run as well as I would hope for a modern console; on Wii U I'm getting plenty of stuttering and chugging frame-rate during battles and in populated areas. The dungeons are fun, don't take forever, and are many. I love how open things are, the world feels real due to temperatures, the passage of time, plenty of variable weather, and the characters in it. The game is not really linear at all. You can follow the game from mission to mission, or go anywhere else and do whatever the hell you want. The only thing stopping you is how prepared you are. So to sum it up, I keep playing and it only ever gets better. I'm not done, but I've put in a ton of hours and feel confident in my review.

Now, just so everyone knows; I bought this on March 3rd 2017, nobody paid me to give it my genuine feedback. I'm in my late 20's, not a fanboy teenager. I wrote this because I want to give honest feedback for people trying to decide if they want to jump in or hold of on a not insignificant purchase. I don't care and will never know if you buy it or not; but I enjoyed it and I'm sure almost anyone that plays it would.
  70. Mar 8, 2017
    Absolutely amazing Zelda game! Lush colorful visuals with a huge area to explore with harsh weather changes. The music score really suits the game and satisfies all Zelda fans. Such detail and heart has gone into this game and honestly I've never played anything as good as this in a LONG time! If you are an actual gamer and not some kid who plays nothing but COD then you will love thisAbsolutely amazing Zelda game! Lush colorful visuals with a huge area to explore with harsh weather changes. The music score really suits the game and satisfies all Zelda fans. Such detail and heart has gone into this game and honestly I've never played anything as good as this in a LONG time! If you are an actual gamer and not some kid who plays nothing but COD then you will love this game! I have 22 years of experience with games. This game easily deserves a 10 as you don't see games like this very often. Expand
  71. Mar 5, 2017
    Masterpiece :) I feel like my young self playing Ocarina of Time on my brand new N64. I haven't finished it yet, but the whole experience is so, so good. The open world is spectacular, quests are fun, skills and all stuff we can do is really wide and enjoyable. I can play this for 12 hours straight like the old Zelda games I used to enjoy. A must have for everyone, specially people whoMasterpiece :) I feel like my young self playing Ocarina of Time on my brand new N64. I haven't finished it yet, but the whole experience is so, so good. The open world is spectacular, quests are fun, skills and all stuff we can do is really wide and enjoyable. I can play this for 12 hours straight like the old Zelda games I used to enjoy. A must have for everyone, specially people who grew up with Zelda on N64! Expand
  72. Mar 8, 2017
    I LOVED IT. Anyone with a negative review has a **** life. I'm convinced of it. they're like that person you see cutting people off in traffic or yelling at waiters. Just a person having a **** day or a **** life cause they realized life is meaningless initially and they haven't given their life meaning yet.
  73. Mar 9, 2017
    WOW. This game blew me away. Never mind breath of the wild, cause my breath is gone thanks to this masterpiece. Please buy it, so you can experience the immensity of it. NINTENDO IS BACK, BABY!
  74. Mar 14, 2017
    The game is a great open world to explore the zelda universe with so many great things to explore and find. But anyone who gives it a 10 is overlooking some flaws in the game that hold it back from being a 10.

First there are only 4 dungeons in the game which would be fine if they were well set up. But all four of them are basicly the same thing. Walk around turn on the same 5 things in every dungeon then fight the boss. The layout of the dungeons is good for the most part but it feels lazy having the exact same goal on how to progress in every dungeon. The complete lack of mobs asides from maybe 2 small robots and eyes everywhere makes the place feel empty and removes all danger asides from the boss. The bosses are alright but are not very rememberable.

The cooking system is not very good and forces you to waste a lot of time.

Weapons breaking every 10 hits is not a good game mechanic. It does not change the way you fight most the time and if you find a weapon you like the looks of to bad.

The shrines are cool and interesting for a while. then after about 20 most of them feel repetitive and I just stopped doing them.

But besides those flaws it still a great game. You could spend lots of hours exploring to find tons of easter eggs from previous Zeldas. The about of different armors is great allowing the player their own fashion. The story if fine compared to any other Zelda game.

So overall if you just want to explore Hyrule this game could be a 10/10. But for me personally Enjoy the combat and puzzles the most the game is still good but not perfect.
  75. Mar 9, 2017
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. For the first time ever I felt like Link is really fighting for his life. this game add mechanics and a degrading weapon system that makes you master whatever comes to use and deal with it. everything falls in perfect place adding it all to make a "survival game of zelda". the story is beautiful and nice, and the game is all perfect. only thing to complainBeautiful, beautiful, beautiful. For the first time ever I felt like Link is really fighting for his life. this game add mechanics and a degrading weapon system that makes you master whatever comes to use and deal with it. everything falls in perfect place adding it all to make a "survival game of zelda". the story is beautiful and nice, and the game is all perfect. only thing to complain is a few random frame rate drops but nothing too crazy.

I am a love of open world pvp, and I haven't been in such a love with a game like this since I played TW3 on PC... which by the way, this Zelda managed to be even better.

it is just weird to see so many Sony fans taking their time to write bad/fake reviews to try to put the user score grades down without even trying the game. horizon is also beautiful and a masterpiece, but please, don't try to destroy other company's work just because your game didn't get a better score.
  76. Mar 16, 2017
    I have super, super mixed feelings about this game. To provide some context, I have grown up playing games from Japanese RPG series, and I only play JRPG's mostly because I know I'll enjoy them, and there's too many games in the world to try with too little time, so I limit my choices to games I know I'll love - games from the Legend of Zelda series being one of them. I am also prettyI have super, super mixed feelings about this game. To provide some context, I have grown up playing games from Japanese RPG series, and I only play JRPG's mostly because I know I'll enjoy them, and there's too many games in the world to try with too little time, so I limit my choices to games I know I'll love - games from the Legend of Zelda series being one of them. I am also pretty flexible with the games I like, the FF series has changed their gameplay style almost every game, and besides the online games, I've played and enjoyed all of them. So, I have played a mix of open-world and linear games, and tend to prefer something in the middle.

Before I delved into BOTW, I decided to play and beat Wind Waker HD to get myself reacquainted with the Zelda series before this game, because the last time I played a Zelda game was Skyward Sword in 2011, which I loved. And I loved Wind Waker as well. I knew this game would be a bit different with an open-world concept, though I have played similar open-world ish JRPGs before, so wasn't too worried. Though, almost 20 hours put into the game, I did not feel the same level of engagement that I immediately felt with Wind Waker just a couple of weeks before, and I decided to pause playing it.

The story is not as engaging as previous titles. While the previous games pulled me in right away, I felt like I was trying to hurriedly get through the first four shrines in the beginning of the game just so I could get to what was happening. And this is the main issue I have with this game. As someone who appreciates a good story and character development in a game, the benefit of exploring a vast, virtual world in order to do so, is not appealing. I also enjoy doing side quests in JRPG's, and try to do all of them. But the side quests in here hinder me from progressing to the main story, and reap rewards that aren't very helpful. I also tend to hoard items and weapons whenever I play, and the fact that weapons and shields have to be thrown away or broken at some time, really bothers me.

I love the graphics and the character design, the world is quite beautiful. I liked how the runes are incorporated and can be used pretty flexibly (though would lead me to mostly try to use bombs to kill enemies because I didn't want a sword to break or arrows to run out -_-). The method of taming horses is cool too. For me, the fun kinda stops there though. I play games to destress from the difficulties of the world, and just kick back and play through a good story, and on the contrary this game stresses me out. @_@ A virtual world can be too vast for some people, perhaps.

I think I will try to beat this game at some point, but the excitement that I usually feel for a Legend of Zelda game isn't there. I could just be becoming a dated gamer (hopefully not, in my mid 20s here), but I miss the intricate dungeons, the different tools (hookshot, boomerang, etc), and most especially the engaging story and lovable characters. I think this game is more appealing to those who play Western RPGs more, though I hope the next title in the Zelda series tries to attempt a more universal appeal and mixes both linear and open world storytelling (maybe something like Xenoblade). If not, I think I will keep to re-playing the older games, which is fine with me, and stick with new games from JRPG series that release games that creatively build on their previous games without needed to transform it completely.

I'm glad most people are happy with this game and perhaps are even getting introduced to the Zelda series for the first time (because it's an awesome series!! Go to the LoZ concerts!!). Though for me, this is just an okay game outfitted with the Zelda name (did not mean to make that rhyme, but it came out well). There is not much really besides the names of the characters and typical Zelda items (master sword, boomerang) that make the connection with the rest of the series, and if these characteristics are swapped out, no one would know this is part of a series, and that's really disappointing to me. For now, I'll put it down and use my destressing time to play the recently new entry of another JRPG series that I am enjoying, and get back to this one later.

Overall, if you are like me and like JRPG games that put a lot of emphasis on storytelling and character development and have fun gameplay, this may not be your cup of tea. Though if you love open world games and exploring virtual areas with little direction to go through the story your own way, and don't mind doing tasks in video games w/o incentives, then you will most likely enjoy this game.

Whichever type of gamer you are, how well you enjoy a game is ultimately up to you, and don't let others push you down for what your opinion is, whether you love this or any game or don't (my wise words after reading forum discussions that are virtual war zones w/ words).
  77. Mar 16, 2017
    The game itself is fantastic. Still beautiful, despite low 720p resolution. The freedom of running anywhere and doing or climbing anything is pretty cool. What tanks the score for me is performance, which is quite terrible and cannot be accepted in current state (c'mon Nintendo, you can do better!). And the last, which may be my personal copy - but it's freezing my Wii U very very often.
  78. Apr 7, 2017
    Breath of The Wild did something no other game I thought would ever do. It out did Ocarina of Time as my favorite game of all time. Breath of the Wild's graphics are just gorgeous. The game looks like a computer generated movie, by Studio Ghibli. The colors, and animations from everyone, and everything looks so natural.

The world of Breath of The Wild is absolutely huge, and is one of

The world of Breath of The Wild is absolutely huge, and is one of the biggest open worlds I've ever seen, and it's going to take you hundreds of hours just to see and do everything. I know some people complain about the weapons breaking.

However, that's one of my favorite things about the game. The fact that nothing lasts forever means that when fighting, I have to either quickly switch to a new weapon, when my weapon breaks. Or if I have to run if I have no weapons. I also like how every weapon does a different amount of damage. Almost everything in this game is climbable. Ranging from tall mountains, small rocks, and especially large enemies. You can also tame not only horses, but you can tame other animals as well.

Breath of The Wild is a landmark game not only for Nintendo, but for all of gaming. With it's gorgeous graphics, great gameplay, and large open world, you'll want to take days off of work for this game.
  79. Mar 21, 2017
    Acho que esse jogo sinceramente merece um 10.
    Acho que esse jogo sinceramente merece um 10.
    Não sou um fanboy que fica querendo aumentar a nota do jogo. Apenas acho que ele realmente é muito bom, logo de cara você percebe que o jogo por mais que seja complexo e longo é muito intuitivo, é fácil pegar esse jogo pela primeira vez e saber o que está fazendo. Os gráficos para um jogo de WII U são lindos, existem jogos mais bonitos mas acho que esse jogo está bem acima da média, o sistema de shrine é muito bom existem centenas de shrines e isso é muito bom, o sistema de customização é interessante, o som do jogo é bom, principalmente os efeitos sonoros. Por fim mas não menos importante, esse jogo é divertido.
  80. Apr 1, 2017
    I hate trolls! Yes, you know all the bad reviews are from either Microsoft or Sony fan boys, that just want to hate on Nintendo because they want to make love to their consoles. Amazing game and well worth a 10 rating. Best game I have played in years. Will be going though this game again and again to find all the extra stuff. Gameplay=10, Graphics=10, Controls=10, Sound-Music=10. BestI hate trolls! Yes, you know all the bad reviews are from either Microsoft or Sony fan boys, that just want to hate on Nintendo because they want to make love to their consoles. Amazing game and well worth a 10 rating. Best game I have played in years. Will be going though this game again and again to find all the extra stuff. Gameplay=10, Graphics=10, Controls=10, Sound-Music=10. Best game in years, hands down. Expand
  81. Apr 4, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is just what the Zelda-series need. Free roaming ways to fight the elements, without doing it in temples. A great way to take the next step. The fight for survival and the hunt for evolvement, skills, better gear to adapt elements and enemies and bring Link's to his old self are excellent.
    The Divine Beast "temples" and many of the 100 shrines are creative and fun! It
    The Divine Beast "temples" and many of the 100 shrines are creative and fun! It brings back the good old memories of an deep, epic and wast world from when I played the older games as a boy.
    A well crafted and bold step in a new direction for this series, and I love it.
  82. Apr 1, 2017
    yo ya me e pasado el juego en 2 ocasiones, llevo mas de 160 horas de juego y la verdad la segunda vez que me lo pase encontré muchos mas secretos que no vi en la primera vez que lo juegue lo cual es de agradecer a nintendo el esfuerzo y dedicación que le pusieron al juego
    NINTENDO muchas gracias :)
  83. Apr 3, 2017
    This is my new favorite Zelda game. It brings me back to my childhood of playing outside and exploring the forests, streams, and even climbing trees and picking up bugs. Fair warning though: the amount of space it takes on the Wii U is quite large. If you have someone in your household that plays another game that takes up a lot of space, this may be an issue. That being said, I amThis is my new favorite Zelda game. It brings me back to my childhood of playing outside and exploring the forests, streams, and even climbing trees and picking up bugs. Fair warning though: the amount of space it takes on the Wii U is quite large. If you have someone in your household that plays another game that takes up a lot of space, this may be an issue. That being said, I am not taking away a point for the game being large, because that is what I love about it! Expand
  84. Mar 27, 2017
    I swapped my Xbox one for a Wii U so that I could play this game. The guy in the shop was like 'U serious brah?' as were my friends but it was a fantastic decision. This game is better than anything I have played on Xbox and is right up there with my favourite games of all time, even though I am only half way through the game. I hope this doesn't read like an anti Xbox rant but the draw ofI swapped my Xbox one for a Wii U so that I could play this game. The guy in the shop was like 'U serious brah?' as were my friends but it was a fantastic decision. This game is better than anything I have played on Xbox and is right up there with my favourite games of all time, even though I am only half way through the game. I hope this doesn't read like an anti Xbox rant but the draw of this game was so strong that I couldn't wait until the end of the month.

The first Zelda game I played was Ocarina of Time, it amazes me that although I have played hundreds of other games since then, Ocarina sticks out in my mind massively. I remember my excitement at getting new swords and armour as I stayed up late (It was probably like 11:30 lol) on Friday night playing it. I played Majoras Mask aswell but never beat that game. THIS GAME BRINGS ALL DEM MEMORIES BACK. IT IS AMAZING. There is a temple in this game and a soundtrack plays when you go near it and OMG it hit me right in the nostalgberries.

You play Skyrim or Fallout and get that opening first world breath where you can go anywhere you want to. This game does that excellently, the piano score just tops it all off.

I will go back and play all the Zeldas from Majoras mask onwards now that I can play them on the online store. I hope I haven't made a mistake by playing BOTW first but either way I am so happy I made the decision to trade my console. This is one of the best games of all time undoubtedly. It is a console seller. In 6 months, once I have beaten all the Marios and Zeldas I may trade it back again but until then I am loving what Nintendo are offering me and I feel like a dick for not investing in one of these games before. The game is just incredibly fun. It masters old Zelda elements and brings in new and inviting ones.

I don't even use my horse as I love finding dem mushrooms and bokoblins. Do whatever you need to do to play this game, whether it be Switch or Wii U (Don't be a pirating wanker) it is completely worth it.

My favourite game is Fallout due to the freedom, this game gives you just as much if not more. I love it. You will too!
  85. Apr 2, 2017
    For years now, my husband has done nothing but praise Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as the best Zelda game, but as soon as he picked this game up and got into the meat of it, he uttered a sentence I never thought I'd hear him say, "This is the best Zelda since A Link to the Past."

And he's right. The system of weapons and shields breaking, the different environment (extreme heat, cold, etc.), and the ruthless difficulty of some of the enemies forces players to strategize to a degree that no other Zelda game has. In other words, the game doesn't hold your hand. It gives you what you need to win and tells you, "figure it out or die." That makes the combat challenging, but not impossibly difficult. Nintendo wasn't interested in coddling its fanbase, and the combat shows it.

I'm not going to pretend the story is anything "inspired." It's relatively simple, but the (mostly) great voice acting and the dialogue bring the main characters to life and tell the story in a perfectly adequate way. But the main focus of this game was not meant to be the story, which is obvious by how much effort they put into the open world.

No matter where you are on the map, there is always SOMETHING to do, whether it's fighting an enemy, clearing a shrine, finding a Korok, or shooting pieces off of a flying dragon. The developers ensured that they made use of every bit of that open space, which ensures players are never bored.

Which brings me to my next point. The open world is absolutely gorgeous. The colors are vibrant where they need to be and equally dull when the situation calls for it. The designs of the important characters (Link, Zelda, the Champions, the Great Fairies, etc.) are each unique enough to make them stand out in our minds.

If I did have one gripe about this game, it would be how emotionless Link seems to be in most cases. Awful things are happening all around him, but he hardly seems concerned. And if this were like the other Zelda games, this wouldn't be a problem, but there is full-fledged voice acting in the cut scenes. That makes the emotion of the other characters come out, which, in turn, makes Link's trademark silence stand out a lot more than it normally does. But that's more of a nitpick than anything.

Overall, I haven't been able to find a single thing wrong with this game, so it gets a 10/10 from me. Believe the hype. This game is amazing.
  86. Mar 28, 2017

87. Mar 31, 2017
    "Legend of Zelda Breath of the wild is... disappointing at best. For one, you can only have one save file. What the hell? As far as I know, this is the only Legend of Zelda game without multiple save files. Two, the FPS seems to be fine on the Wii U. The Switch on the other hand, experiences horrendous FPS drops. Three, weapons break so easy. The game tells you when your weapon is damaged"Legend of Zelda Breath of the wild is... disappointing at best. For one, you can only have one save file. What the hell? As far as I know, this is the only Legend of Zelda game without multiple save files. Two, the FPS seems to be fine on the Wii U. The Switch on the other hand, experiences horrendous FPS drops. Three, weapons break so easy. The game tells you when your weapon is damaged (which happens quickly), but Four, YOU CAN'T EVEN REPAIR THEM. So why the hell does it tell you they are damaged? To save it's last hit? Five, the "dungeons" seem like they were designed for 7 year olds. They are pathetically obvious. Barely puzzles. Six, just like playing Hyrule Warriors feels like you're playing a clone of Dynasty Warriors, playing Breath of the Wild feels like you are playing a clone of Monster Hunter Ultimate. Seven, Rain and Blood Moons. I understand that the rain is for the immersivity, and the Blood Moon is to give a challenge, but when it rains you can't climb a damn thing, which you kind of need to climb a lot in the game, and if a blood moon shows up have fun trying to get anywhere. Eight, the ragdoll physics feature would be cool if every time you hit a enemy they didn't fly 5 damn feet away from you. I could go on and on, but I'm just going to stop here. I know they wanted to make the game more challenging, but all they did was make a lot of the game's features annoying. The game would be good if it wasn't an annoying laggy mess.

TL,DR Version: If you're going to buy it, buy the Wii U version. The Switch version is lag fest. And also if you're going to buy it, be prepared to get very annoyed having all your new weapons break in under 2 minutes of use, and a lot, lot and I mean LOT of traveling in a straight line to very far away objective points on a map too big for it's own good." -Quail, My good friend.
    6/10.
  88. Mar 31, 2017
    This game is FAR from perfect. But before all you people come at with all your "Ign gave it a ten, so kys", Shut up, ok? My opinions for other people to read on the internet. If you like this game, I don't care, the only reason I'm writing this is for people who are looking to buy this game, not for people who've bought it and love it, ok? Now that's cleared up, what do I dislike aboutThis game is FAR from perfect. But before all you people come at with all your "Ign gave it a ten, so kys", Shut up, ok? My opinions for other people to read on the internet. If you like this game, I don't care, the only reason I'm writing this is for people who are looking to buy this game, not for people who've bought it and love it, ok? Now that's cleared up, what do I dislike about this game?
    Well, to get started, The game has almost no interior locations. Yeah, it's got houses, Shrines, Hyrule Castle is indoors, but, think about Skyrim (A game I have played a lot of, so my opinions count here. Also, Skyrim's execution isn't perfect, either, but that doesn't mean botw couldn't do it better), in Skyrim there's a bunch of ancient tombs, full of monsters, and one time, I was wondering through an abandoned prison, where I found out how the prisinors escaped, which was how I got out myself, and there's much more interesting interiors, more Castles, taverns shops, blacksmiths, which you can use to make your own weapons, which is one of my favourite parts of that game. But enough about that, this ain't a Skyrim review, but I wanted to make my point about interior locations, and how BOTW didn't have enough.

Now for somethings I like: This game is BEAUTIFUL, one of the best looking games I've ever seen. Just the way the lovely enemy designs, the beautiful cosy-looking houses, it just looks amazing.
    And the game's story is lovely. Not AMAZING, but very well done. I loved the voice acting, if a bit stale sometimes, the characters were great, all different, with their own personalities, which makes every divine beast a treat! Not because the dungeons are amazing, (But will come to that later) but because the characters are great, and I enjoyed meeting all of them. Maybe except for the Zora, but yeah, all great.

One thing I talked about was the graphics, which are good, but cause a lot of fps drops, on Wii U, which I heard they patched out, but I haven't tested that yet, so just thought I would mention that, even though I don't care about fps drops, for some people they might be a game breaker, so yeah

Also, it feels like a lot of the travel feels empty. Whenever I'm going somewhere in other open world games, what would normally take me 10 mins+ of travelling, takes me HOURS, because I'm always finding new, interesting things. Dungeons with interesting, enchanted weapons, small settlements, Dragons, (In Skyrims case) and so many other things. Like, one time I'm playing morrowind, and I see a lady by the road, who was just robbed, but fell in love with the highwayman, and you have to go find him, and tell him, and tha's just really cool. But I didn't see anything like that in Botw. I didn't get sidetracked, because yeah, Shrines are cool, but, I just talk to Beedle, get some Hearty Lizards, cook em up, and bang, +8 hearts, on top of my 10, so that keeps me ok. For instance, I beat Ganon, and at the time I had 15 hearts, but I just cooked some hearty foods, instead of waste my time with shrines, which aren't even that fun. Sorry but I just found them too easy once I put 10 hours into the game, so I saw them as a waste of time. So BOTW has a lack of things to sidetrack me, to get lost in, to spend hours doing things I didn't even plan, and that's just not good open world design to me. Sorry, but it isn't.

Also, the music is *good*, but not very memorable. I used to be able to remember a bunch of songs from other zelda games, and just other games in general. I do LIKE the music, it's just feels more made for ambience, and just not as grand as the previous games. So, yeah, that's there, and that's just more opinion based on what music you like.

I feel like the weapon system is a bit pointless, because it isn't even that hard to get good weapons, so the weapons breaking that fast, is just pontless. You could make really cool weapons last longer, so that if you find a great flameblade, it doesn't break in 20 hits, and then you could make common weapons, like Boko clubs, Soldiers Swords, and other weapons that to under a certain amount of damage break faster, because they're more common. And doing that would make the whole system better, so that you HAVE to save your good weapons for more difficult encounters. (So the whole complaint about brittle weapons would be solved this way, too)

And that's about the end, hope you found this interesting. I would continue but I've typed 4500 characters, so that's the end of this review. So......

Fun game very nice, I would go over more positives, but there isn't enough space, so, if you are thinking of getting it, and my points don't fase you, buy this now. But, if my points make sense to you, I would wait and look into it a bit more. (after all, it's like 50 pounds, so, lotsa money)

Also, I have beaten this game, I haven't put in 100's of hours, but I have played it, done 60+ shrines, and a good bit of side things. And I have but a lot of hours TES games
  89. Mar 31, 2017
    Let me preface this by saying, this was my first foray into Zelda games, so I was previously unaware of the lore. I picked up quickly and did not feel lost in the verbiage of the history. I love open world games, and to me this is the pinnacle of the style.

Most important to me in a game are 4 things: story, music/sound, art style/graphics, gameplay. The game really exceeds on 3 of these fronts and puts forth a solid effort on the 4th (music)

Story: I know after doing research that Zelda games follow a similar story format, but this one was done with a unique twist that I thought was very creative. I loved the mystery behind what happened to Zelda and especially love the Memory quest. This quest unlocks specific memories relevant to the story, while also nudging you into more of an exploratory mode. 10/10

Music/Sound: The music fits very well with the landscape of the game, with vast periods of openness complemented by a more empty score. However, I have always loved LoZ's music (Being a composer and studying the scores) and this score lacks the amount of memorable themes of titles past. It is understandable given the nature of the game, though, and complements the game quite well. Voice acting is wonderful as well, with interesting dialogue for many of the main characters that don't bog you down with tons of verbose lines (Looking at you Witcher 3) Most of the sound effects are wonderful in the game as well, though there could be a little more variation in Link's climbing and attacking sounds. Overall an above average sound package! 8.5/10

Art style/Graphics: I love the art style in this game. Beautifully done in every aspect. The landscapes are what shine the most in this game. Everywhere you look is not only unique to its area, but exquisitely beautiful. Characters have a beautiful style to them as well. Not quite fully cartoon, but definitely not realistic looking. I love the environments, and often spend several minutes admiring the beauty. 10/10

Gameplay: Very smooth for me. I haven't had too many issues with FPS drops, and the new patch should fix any lingering ones. The rune system is very intelligently done with uses not only in the shrines, but throughout the world. Speaking of shrines, I never feel they are too repetitive, and while puzzles usually aren't my favorite thing, I never get frustrated with them! Climbing and paragliding are two amazing features I wish could be available in all future open world games. They make the game feel a lot more accessible and immersive. Not having to jump glitch everywhere is wonderful. I also like the overall immersion of the game. Having to wear warm weather gear or cold weather gear or even swimming/climbing gear, really makes you rethink strategies! Cooking is cool and wields very rewarding results too! Weapon durability is not a problem for me, as it teaches you to strategize what weapons you use and when you use them. If I had any complaints it would be the relatively low amount of variety in monsters (compared to a game like Witcher 3). Overall, I thin the gameplay inhibits players from mindlessly playing the game, which I think is a great thing! 10/10

Overall: 38.5/40 (96.25)

This game has moved into the top of my favorite games list, through excellent gameplay, graphics, and story/immersion. It is not one of my favorite video game scores, but still very well done! There are so many little things to enjoy in this game that I can't fit, so you will just have to enjoy for yourself! Back to Zelda!!
  90. Apr 3, 2017
    El mejor legend of zelda de todos, un juego muy profundo, hermoso, vasto,muy pero muy detallado, y para el fanático o seguidor de la saga, quedara hechizado, y para el que no lo es, también le encantara por esa magia que te hace decir, eeehhhhh demos otra vueltica por ahí para conseguir algo, un trabajo implecable, apesar que le doy un diez, lo unico que me fustra del juego fue su tasa tanEl mejor legend of zelda de todos, un juego muy profundo, hermoso, vasto,muy pero muy detallado, y para el fanático o seguidor de la saga, quedara hechizado, y para el que no lo es, también le encantara por esa magia que te hace decir, eeehhhhh demos otra vueltica por ahí para conseguir algo, un trabajo implecable, apesar que le doy un diez, lo unico que me fustra del juego fue su tasa tan irregular de los cuadros por segundo para wiiu, ya tengo la actualizacion 1.1.1, mejora pero sigue siendo irregular, pero el contenido es lo que califico y es incredible, disfrutenlo. Expand
  91. Apr 8, 2017
    PROS:
    - It's great that Breath of the Wild took a different direction from the previous Zelda games by giving the player more freedom in terms of where they want to explore which plays well with the huge open world.
    - I liked the art style - Horse riding felt more realistic. - Many side quests - Environments are diverse - Many different weapons and armor sets CONS: - Seeing the
    PROS:
    - I liked the art style
    - Horse riding felt more realistic.
    - Many side quests
    - Environments are diverse
    - Many different weapons and armor sets
    CONS:
    - Seeing the size of the world, there wasn't much in it. The towns are fine (Hateno and Kakariko), but there wasn't much to do in Zora's Domain and Rito Village felt bland.
    - The 4 dungeons in the game and their bosses look exactly the same with some minor differences.
    - Weapon's break too quickly. I don't mind weapon durability, but most of my weapons seem to break in a few swings.
    - Shrines get very tiring after completing 40 - 60 of them.
    - Only 5-6 types of enemies/ mobs
    - The only reason this game is hard is because enemies can one shot you.
    - Music is not as good as the previous Zelda games.

Overall this game is enjoying, but I feel like this game lacks in quality of content.
  92. Apr 8, 2017
    The game has beautiful graphics with a great story. I really like all the stuff you can do. What I don't like is all the rain and ambushes. Every time I try to climb something it rains and I'm trying to climb something it rains and I fall down. The ambushing happens when I'm trying to sneak kill an enemy camp and skeletons or bats attack me and I get attacked by like 10 things at once. TheThe game has beautiful graphics with a great story. I really like all the stuff you can do. What I don't like is all the rain and ambushes. Every time I try to climb something it rains and I'm trying to climb something it rains and I fall down. The ambushing happens when I'm trying to sneak kill an enemy camp and skeletons or bats attack me and I get attacked by like 10 things at once. The game also has fps drops when fighting enemies and bosses. 7.8/10 too much water Expand
  93. Jul 14, 2017
    The world of Breath of the wild is as vast as the ocean, it's truly huge but sadly about as deep as a puddle. Granted I've only played around 10-15 hours and I won't be picking it up again, it doesn't take long to realise that despite the size of the world the only things you find are shrines, korok seeds or mobs with a chest that will have some item you can manage without if you want. IThe world of Breath of the wild is as vast as the ocean, it's truly huge but sadly about as deep as a puddle. Granted I've only played around 10-15 hours and I won't be picking it up again, it doesn't take long to realise that despite the size of the world the only things you find are shrines, korok seeds or mobs with a chest that will have some item you can manage without if you want. I simply skipped almost every fight since there is nothing to be gained from them.

The biggest problem I found is that there's little point to doing anything other than the shrines, why kill those mobs over there? to get some arrows or a weapon etc which I will find something better of in a shrine most likely. Why look for korok seeds to increase my inventory when I'm already holding weapons that I'm just going to throw at something?

The world itself I found really detailed and beautiful to look at but that's as far as I cared about it. Comparing it to something like Skyrim BotW is lacking, Skyrim has a massive world where talking to npc's can give you quests that take you into whole other worlds and can lead to some really interesting story or lore, investigating a statue would lead to dealing with a god and being rewarded or punished in some way. BotW however rewards you with little to nothing for your efforts, the story I class as nearly non existent, npc's may point you in the right direction, or hint at some shrine nearby etc but it's all the same thing over and over, I'm sure I could look up online all the shrine locations and just grind them to get the hearts and then do the divine beasts and ganon and I wouldn't loose any of the experience it would simply be easier. When I was playing Skyrim and looking up guides I still really enjoyed the adventure, BotW lacks that.

So to summarise the world is nice to look at and theres' collectables to be found (bugs, plants etc) but ultimately gives no good reason to want to explore it once you've seen the basics.
    Little to no story, lifeless repetition labelled as "exploring" and puzzles hardly worth thinking about, a solid mediocre 5.
  94. Mar 7, 2017
    love how everyone is harping on the switch for only playing Zelda... take a look at the launch lineups for every console made int eh last 20 years! They are worse than the switch, sometimes have even less games (looking at you XBONE), and they consist of bargain bin 3$ games.... and none of the launch titles for Xbox360, Xbone, PS3, or PS$, even come close to comparing with Breath of thelove how everyone is harping on the switch for only playing Zelda... take a look at the launch lineups for every console made int eh last 20 years! They are worse than the switch, sometimes have even less games (looking at you XBONE), and they consist of bargain bin 3$ games.... and none of the launch titles for Xbox360, Xbone, PS3, or PS$, even come close to comparing with Breath of the Wild. Everyone is either jsut harping on ti cause they want ti but can't afford it, or because they hope it will fail for god knows what reason.

The game and the console are fantastic. Breath is easily my favorite Zelda game since Link to the Past/Ocarina. It's a complete 180 from the garbage linear **** that was Skyward Sword. Finally, Zelda is about exploration again, If you don't like Breath then I've got bad news for you.... Your not likely a true Zelda fan. If you had any respect for Zelda's roots you would be drooling all over this game.
  95. Mar 7, 2017
    The aggregate user review score for this is absolute madness. This game is truly, unbelievably high quality. Please ignore nonsense 0's and 2's and play this game, you will not regret it.
  96. Mar 7, 2017
    THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD Wii-U

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD Wii-U

Zelda games have really fallen out of my realm since I have got older. I was a huge fan of Ocarina and Majoras mask, as well as the season and ages games for the GBA. I have never really used my Wii except for Mario Cart 8 with my girlfriend very infrequently and to play Smash Bros for a few hours. But the newest Zelda Game has completely renewed my use of the console and made me love the franchise once again. The shear depth of this game after the tutorial can be overwhelming if you try and follow a linear path to complete it, so you must be willing to explore and learn the world. The Shrines are fun puzzles scattered across the world that give souls which improve Links health and stamina, as well as way points across the massive map. The "Dungeons" without spoiling anything are fun and creative but they all follow a general quest line that i believe could of been a bit more varied in each approach but are still challenging and entertaining. The deeper you get into Breath of the Wild the more you learn to interact with the world in new and interesting ways to complete your goals. This is Highly rewarding and i feel like I've almost mastered the physics 30+ hours in and can control my environment such as sending huge rock slides on enemy's below or burning entire forests on fire to kill an entire camp and all surrounding wildlife.

To cap it off Zelda Breath of the Wild is my favorite Nintendo game in last 10 years for me. If you love open world games and you love Zelda don't take my word just get it.
  97. Mar 5, 2017
    Firstly, I'll start by addressing some complaints I've seen in negative reviews of this game:

"There are no dungeons." Yes there are. There are 4 dungeons, accompanied by a myriad of shrines. "It's too easy/hand-holdy." I'm sort of baffled by this one, and all I can say is that is that the people saying this must not have engaged in any exploration whatsoever. A lot of the

"There are no dungeons."
    Yes there are. There are 4 dungeons, accompanied by a myriad of shrines.

"It's too easy/hand-holdy."
    I'm sort of baffled by this one, and all I can say is that is that the people saying this must not have engaged in any exploration whatsoever. A lot of the main-quest and areas around towns, etc. contain relatively easy puzzles and fights, but if you take the time to leave the beaten trail, you'll probably come across a fair challenge pretty quickly. Reviewers who specifically mention hand-holdiness have clearly not played nearly enough of the game to piece together an educated review.

"The music sucks."
    A quick read through of comments in this vein shows that the actual meaning behind this criticism is that the music is different. Music plays a different role in this game than it does in previous titles. Here, it gives the game a bit of flavour and atmosphere rather than blasting the player with overt, repeating musical themes. It's fine to not like the music in this game, but it's useful to note that a thorough playthrough of this game will be far longer than the typical 20-40 hours of previous 3D Zelda titles. It's likely, given enough play time, that catchy, repetitive themes in the context of this game would end up being incredibly grating. As it is, there is a clear emphasis on the environments here and the use of music to simply enhance the mood set by the environmental sounds works extremely well (plus there are some really great musical moments where music is present).

"There's nothing to do."
    There are over 100 shrines to discover, a bunch of sidequests if you look in the right places, over 300 unique photos to take in-game, and a number of diverse and engaging areas to explore. I'll concede that if you don't enjoy exploration, this game isn't for you.

"It looks terrible."
    It doesn't have the best graphics on a technical level. It's low-res by modern standards, with some pop-in and frame drops, and it could do with a bit of anti-aliasing, but the game's art style stands out from its technical limitations, as was the case in The Wind Waker, and even Skyward Sword to some extent. The frame drops are a a fair complaint, however I haven't found this factor to have any effect on gameplay since they mainly occur in places with a lot of NPCs, which tend to be less timing-sensitive areas. They do occur in forested areas quite a lot, but this isn't an online FPS, and not every frame is critical in combat, to be brutally honest. It's a valid complaint, but I don't think it's a big enough issue to make this particular game less enjoyable by any significant measure.

That's pretty much every complaint I care to cover. Now for some reasons to like this game, rather than reasons to simply not hate it.

1. Combat/Gameplay
    The enemies in this game vary significantly in difficulty. Some are extremely easy to beat, and areas of the game that have high proportions of these enemies can begin to feel a bit too easy after a while, but what's interesting is that the combat never gets boring. The combat in this game requires a lot more strategy to deal with than in previous titles and keeps you on your feet since dodging becomes a really important aspect of swordplay. Coming off a 40 hour play-through of Twilight Princess HD, this a breath of fresh air to me as enemies have different attack styles that require adaptive strategies, unlike in Twilight Princess, and these strategies are often based around your fundamental moveset rather than gimmicky items and gameplay mechanics (I'm looking at you, Skyward Sword).
    Speaking of which, the basic controls are surprisingly deep for a game of this nature. Hours in, I was still learning new things about the controls. It could be argued that the game not teaching this to you from the outset is poor design, but in my experience, these elements are unnecessary for the progression of the game, and I'd argue that it's a plus that the early game doesn't get bogged down in tutorials or hint panels.

2. Shrines
    The shrines can be divided into two categories: Combat and puzzles. The puzzle shrines have a wonderful amount of diversity, though they are not all particularly challenging. As stated above, the more isolated or out of the way a shrine is, the more likely it is to pose a challenge. The combat shrines are pretty homogeneous, but a lot of them pose a really great challenge, taking the aforementioned combat mechanics to their limits. Some of these shrines feel like dedicated boss arenas, and it's a lot of fun to employ all the strategies you've accumulated up to these shrines in defeating their enemies.

3. There's a great sense of progression in this game, even without an experience or leveling system.

4. I have reached my character limit. The game is great.
  98. Mar 8, 2017
    Breathtaking. Wonderful. It's like Witcher 3 BUT you can play it with your kid.
    Can't understand the conformism and clinging to some abstract ideal expressed by most of the downvoters.
    I love the whole franchise. Played five or six of them, some finished, some will be some day.
    But this does some much right that it seems to me one of the best games I ever played.
  99. Mar 14, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before you lose your minds, understand this is a good game and it's worth a purchase if you enjoy Zelda and I love Zelda, it's my favorite series.

With that said - Breath of the Wild tries very hard to be a modern open world Dark Soulsy meets Skyrim kinda game but the mechanics cause it to fall on it's face. One hit kills are a thing. Lock on isn't as easy to use as before. Weapons are as durable as icicles on a hot summer's day (unless in the enemies hands, they never break then) until you have grinded hours and can get better ones and the promise of "do anything you want, BotW says YES" comes with the fine print of "as long as you have the right gear/food/hearts/stamina/amiibos/etc". The Pay To Win amiibo aspect is also predictable but disappointing. Be warned that things like getting Epona via Amiibo comes with the fine print of "if you turn off your game or don't stable her, it never works again". Also be warned the strategy guide seems to purposely be missing things like amiibo functionality which is unforgivable and should be there to prevent things such as having to restart due to losing Epona.

So with that out of the way, let's talk about the positives. This game is beautiful. The world is beautiful. Finally being able to scale mountains is amazing and the fact that you can take your time and do numerous side quests or just explore instead of being stuck in the main story is a huge improvement. Cooking your own elixirs and food can give you a near limitless supply of health, stamina, and other items so you don't need to worry about purchasing them or having the luck to find them. There are so many great things that were added to this game that it's a shame the bad mechanics and flaws bog them down. This could have easily been a truly incredible experience, not a 10 because few games are that perfect, but at least a 9.

If you love Zelda, buy this. Don't be afraid of the Wii U version if you can't get a Switch, there isn't a huge amount of difference. If you're not into Zelda, then this is probably a skip. Other games did open world better and those will be more to your liking but if you feel little tingles of excitement every time you get a new chance to adventure with Link like me, you want this - flaws and all - just because it's Zelda.
  100. Mar 4, 2017
    El juego es increíble. Los gráficos son preciosos, lo nunca visto. La innovación es increíble. Sin duda es el mejor juego de la historia. Posiblemente,es mejor que el maravilloso Ocarina Of Time

Universal acclaim - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 10, 2017
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an absolute joy to play as it's an undeniably rewarding adventure set in a deeply immersive world. Although the experience is weighed down by a few minor problems, the overall journey is one that no gamer will soon forget.
  2. Mar 28, 2017
    Breath of the Wild can’t be compared to the likes of The Witcher 3 or Skyrim because it’s not trying to be those games -- it’s a Nintendo game -- and series -- all grown up. It has a lot to offer and will keep you engaged for lengthy periods of time. If you’re playing on Switch as you absolutely should be, then you can also Zelda wherever you go. It’s arguably not the best Zelda game, but damn, it might be the most polished, and the most ambitious.
  3. Mar 20, 2017
    Does it have the best combat system in the world? No. Is it the best looking game out there? No. Does it have the best RPG soundtrack ever? No. Can the game make you feel like you are eight years old again? Hell yes. It certainly had that effect with me. It has been a long time since exploring, fighting, and adventuring has so consistently brought a smile to my face. Breath of the Wild is such a wonderful experience that once you play it, you will likely never look at open world games the same again.