7.3

1. Feb 10, 2011
    I recently borrowed this from my friend who paid $9.00 for it, and the fact that he complained about being ripped off probably should've kept me away from borrowing it. Still, I'm a gamer and I enjoy playing all variants of different games, and after playing through this entire game, I was glad to return it back to my friend. I don't want to have this review as a soundboard for myI recently borrowed this from my friend who paid $9.00 for it, and the fact that he complained about being ripped off probably should've kept me away from borrowing it. Still, I'm a gamer and I enjoy playing all variants of different games, and after playing through this entire game, I was glad to return it back to my friend. I don't want to have this review as a soundboard for my complaints about it but I'm afraid that will be the end result. To start, the graphics on the game are decent, but the framerate sometimes tears. This probably would get fixed if I downloaded it to my hard drive, but seeing as to how I don't think this game is worthy to be on my hard drive, I don't care. The game probably has some of the worse voice acting I've heard in awhile. Out of all of the characters in the game (There actually only like 6), only 1 of them has some decent acting skills. The main character, Spencer, sounds like an absolute and total meathead that you want to punch in the groin everytime he opens his stupid mouth to spout off a cheesy one-liner. Never have I disliked a protagonist in such a manner. The back of the box cover says that it redefines the world of 3-D platforming. Umm, not really. The only difference is that you now get an extendable arm to move faster from place to place. The bionic arm mechanic is sadly underused, and there are never any sequences that require you to use it, other than "Move into the conveniently blown hole in the building." The guns are laughable and not one of them is satisfying to use. The enemies are all extremely bland and lack variety, evolving from "Biomech Commando Gorilla!!!" to "Biomech Commando Gorilla with Gun!!!", all the way to "Biomech Commando Gorilla with Gun and Wings!!!" I didn't even mention how stupid and boring it is to fight these enemies. Even the boss fights are unsatisfying and they're not even remotely difficult. It's like, whenever an enemy boss hurts you enough so that you're near death, they can sense it and they just magically back off until you're full health again. The storyline is extremely dull and I literally read none of the background data since I just don't care at all. They even tried their own little twist at the end, which was unexpected, but I couldn't care about the twist since the main character is such a complete tool. The ending was horrifically bad, and I think that they intended to leave it open for a sequel, but with a game this bad, who cares? The multiplayer I don't have much comment on, considering I played one game and quit afterwards. Everyone is moving so fast, it reminds me of another Crackdown 2 game, which is absolutely no fun. I played the original Bionic Commando for the NES, and I loved that game. This is just a travesty and to call it even a remake is a shame to modern and old developers alike. The only reason I gave this game a 4 is because I think that the bionic arm mechanic is very cool and was occasionally fun, swinging from building to building. Other than that, do yourself a favor not buy this game. If you're friend tells you it's not worth $9.00, you should probably believe him. Expand
  2. DanleroiXX
    Jun 10, 2009
    A gameplay bankrupt for videogame frustrating and a boring. Graphically it expire, the control of the personage is very bad. Bionic Command is one of the most large errors than Capcom, the much worse one than Dino Crisis 3. Sin because it could come outside large videogame like its those. Unfortunately if a video game is not giocabile it is not a video game.
  3. ChristianA
    Jun 5, 2009
    This game is offering a alternative game experience which undoubtly is very satisfiying. I do not agree with many official reviewers score, I do understand that if the maps was less linear, It would be worth a 10, I think atleast 8 would be fair. Good: Great swinging mechanics, Skills improve fast throughout the game, Longer campaign than expected, Variated challanges. Great satisfaction This game is offering a alternative game experience which undoubtly is very satisfiying. I do not agree with many official reviewers score, I do understand that if the maps was less linear, It would be worth a 10, I think atleast 8 would be fair. Good: Great swinging mechanics, Skills improve fast throughout the game, Longer campaign than expected, Variated challanges. Great satisfaction when linking different swings / Combo's together, Good multiplayer, And a different one because of the swinging. Bad: Linear levels. No throwing and smashing objects at hegother in multiplayer, enemy soldiers "electrical pole" way too overpowered, Too few checkpoints, that results in frustrations. I give it 9, because i think this game deserves it, I originally all the time thought it was a 8, But was suprised at how many hours i spent in campaign, And that the multiplayer makes me come back to the game all the time. Expand
    May 20, 2009
    I only have a few gripes with the game and they are all at the beginning, which makes me wonder if any of the reviewers even played for more than an hour. Swinging takes a while to get used to, but once I got used to it felt so agile and free. Simply moving around the world is a fun experience. The combat is fast, fierce, and requires a good awareness of your surroundings. You cannot I only have a few gripes with the game and they are all at the beginning, which makes me wonder if any of the reviewers even played for more than an hour. Swinging takes a while to get used to, but once I got used to it felt so agile and free. Simply moving around the world is a fun experience. The combat is fast, fierce, and requires a good awareness of your surroundings. You cannot approach this like a shooter. In fact I felt like all the guns were bonus power ups, which gave me a bit of a retro feel. I was initially turned off by the game because of the frequent load times in the tutorial, and early levels, but about 1/4th through the game levels became large and complex enough that I couldn't beat them in just a couple minutes. I give it a 9 because it's new, refreshing, well made, but with a few flaws. Expand
  5. peted
    May 20, 2009
    Don't believe the review, this game is not a 69 rated game, I'm really starting to understand that metacritic is not a great site any more to decide if a game is good or bad. This game is crap a huge failure, stay away, it's NOT worth 69 in metacritic.
  6. Rafalas
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fantastic game. These days you can get it very cheap on many online shops, and it's totally worth it. Nice graphics and fun gameplay, with some very nice grapling moments. Very nice final bosses. If you can find this cheap, don't think twice and get it.
  7. TheHat
    Jan 9, 2010
    Bad story, bad dialogue, bad voice-acting and bad physics. I'm so close to liking this game, but the hurdles are too many.
  8. BarryC
    May 23, 2009
    Far better than I expected, the solid swing mechanic (which takes some time to get used to) saves this game. Apart from a few dodgy design decisions elsewhere (the radiation thing for instance), this game is a lot of fun.
  9. AdamN
    May 25, 2009
    Bionic Commando may not be the greatest game ever made but it does its job well. As soon as the game starts you are pulled into this fast paced world and the action rarely slows down. The bionic arm takes a bit to get used to but once you have mastered it you'll be flying around like spiderman. My only gripe is that the 3D world contains invisible barriers to keep you on your course Bionic Commando may not be the greatest game ever made but it does its job well. As soon as the game starts you are pulled into this fast paced world and the action rarely slows down. The bionic arm takes a bit to get used to but once you have mastered it you'll be flying around like spiderman. My only gripe is that the 3D world contains invisible barriers to keep you on your course and hopefully next time they'll create a much more open world. The bionic arm really makes this game stand out from other similar games of this genre it gives the gamer a lot of freedom to do as they will. I recommend this game as it is trully a fun action title that adds a new twist with the very fun bionic arm. Expand
  10. YFC
    May 27, 2009
    Like many of the reviews said it's true potential went unrealized. I rather enjoyed it it's a mix of Star Wars Battle Front and Spider-man gameplay with the old flavor of bionic commando. The story was done well as were the mechanics in most places Zip jumping up walls is sometimes difficult.( when you play you'll see what I mean) The multiplayer mode is fast paced and fun Like many of the reviews said it's true potential went unrealized. I rather enjoyed it it's a mix of Star Wars Battle Front and Spider-man gameplay with the old flavor of bionic commando. The story was done well as were the mechanics in most places Zip jumping up walls is sometimes difficult.( when you play you'll see what I mean) The multiplayer mode is fast paced and fun one of the main reasons to get this game, and the multiplayer demo should still be up if you want to try it. The level, character and vehicle designs are spectacular very well thought out and the post apocalyptic land scape is a thing of twisted beauty. However you will most likely have a problem focusing on that trying to get the 156 or so collectibles you may want to collect through out the campaign. You have to do it all in one go you can't get things as you go along. Hopefully this flaw will be fixed in a patch. All in all this game is great though the sometimes less than perfect unfinished bits make it fustrating at times, and the controls take some time getting used to. Fans of, Bionic Commando , Battle front, and Third person shooters, will find this a title you won't want to put down. Though i would advise a rental first to see if you are interested in it. Expand
  11. MasonicInc
    May 27, 2009
    A game with a mechanic done like no other game before. Too bad so many of the people reviewing the game aren't real gamers anymore failing to see what a great game we have on our hands here. A game that dares to be different then all the rest - A true winner in my eyes.
  12. carloss
    May 28, 2009
    The game its great because it returned to the old times,same gameplay but in third person,the bad news are,that its the only thing that offers,nothing new,and the replay value its null,so i think its just for fans of the old school.
  13. DavidD
    May 28, 2009
    I have personally not played this game but I watched a friend of mine play. It seems like a lot of fun and very different. I know this is not fair to compare this game to Crackdown, but I initially got that feeling only because it reminded me of a game about a more-then-a human type person that can jump or in this case grapple around the world. I do want to say one thing again that amazes I have personally not played this game but I watched a friend of mine play. It seems like a lot of fun and very different. I know this is not fair to compare this game to Crackdown, but I initially got that feeling only because it reminded me of a game about a more-then-a human type person that can jump or in this case grapple around the world. I do want to say one thing again that amazes me with such morons as pete d. Metacritic does not rate these game you dufus!! They just take the scores of all raters and add it together. If there was another site that did the same thing, you would basically have the same scores! God! Some people are such idiots!!! Expand
  14. Steveo
    Jun 11, 2009
    This game was overall short, sweet, and to the point that it established from the beginning of the game, the swinging arc system is innovative and great to experiment with or just simply get lost in the scenery while you're swinging around this huge environment, although it has its limitations with radiation areas and the controls could take some time to get used to, the true This game was overall short, sweet, and to the point that it established from the beginning of the game, the swinging arc system is innovative and great to experiment with or just simply get lost in the scenery while you're swinging around this huge environment, although it has its limitations with radiation areas and the controls could take some time to get used to, the true greatness of this game shines through, this game is a definite rent for any action junkies, will have you hooked for one playthrough definitely, although the replay value just isn't there. Expand
  15. BradyL
    Jun 14, 2009
    Fantastic story, fantastic gameplay, fantastic score, fantastic almost everything. The little things that detract from it arn't enough to stop it from being a awesome game!
  16. Matt
    Jun 3, 2009
    Once you get the mechanics, this game is super fun. I play a lot of games and rarely finish them. this one I finished and played multiplayer, which is a friggin' blast as well. My guess on the folks who didn't like it is that they didn't spend enough time to get the controls or they chose a level that was too hard. But if you spend a ltitle time ont he swing mechancis and Once you get the mechanics, this game is super fun. I play a lot of games and rarely finish them. this one I finished and played multiplayer, which is a friggin' blast as well. My guess on the folks who didn't like it is that they didn't spend enough time to get the controls or they chose a level that was too hard. But if you spend a ltitle time ont he swing mechancis and play on Normal, its aweseome. Congratulations Ben Judd! Expand
  17. JethroR
    Jul 21, 2009
    This is the best game I have played so far this year. The gameplay is thoroughly enjoyable, the story is engaging, and the finale is utterly epic.
  18. TheDude
    May 28, 2009
    I really honestly don't see why the reviewers are so harsh on this game. It's a really fun action game with a great swing mechanic. I get the impression that the reviewers spent less than two hours with the game since that's about how long it takes to get a hang of the controls. Once you do get used to them the game is amazing!
  19. Jerry
    Jun 16, 2009
    Yikes! What a horrid, horrid game! There's really nothing in this game that makes it worth playing. If you want to swing around and grapple, play Spider-man instead. Evert turn is filled with poor design choices compounded by even poorer implementation. Save your money for something else.
  20. Feb 8, 2011
    I think if there's one thing about Bionic Commando that I don't understand, it would have to be why reviewers treated it so poorly. Admittedly, when I first bought the game, I had given up on it for months after only playing a few levels. When I finally did come back to BC, it only took a few minutes before I was kicking myself for ever putting the controller down.

Bionic Commando is a

Bionic Commando is a breath of fresh air for action games, in my opinion. I've had more moments of "Holy crap, that was awesome. I can't believe I just did that" than any other game I've played in recent memory. Free swinging with your bionic arm is incredibly cool once you get the hang of it. Is it more fun than using that same arm to hurl your enemies around like rag dolls? It's close. While the level structure is somewhat linear, I think it's handled well, and the bosses and mini-bosses are (for the most part) challenging and fun. The voice acting, in general, is passable. Some of it is a little clunky, but it usually does a fine enough job. The soundtrack, however, is quite awesome all-around. If I had one complaint about it, it would be that the title song, as nice as it is, should be either more epic, or more rocking.

Honestly, I only have about two things that I think hold this game back from a 10. The first being the absolutely ridiculous plot twist at the end. I went from "into the story and ready to bust some bad-guys" to "what the-?" in a matter of seconds. But a plot issue isn't a BIG deal, really.

Really, the only MAJOR downfall to this game (and probably a LARGE reason why this game was hung out to dry, ratings-wise), is the learning curve. Getting a good feel for swinging takes a while. I didn't really start to get good at it until AFTER my first playthrough (Hard). My second playthrough (Commando) it was more of a necessity to survive, and thankfully, I got into the swing (pun!) of things. The problem with the learning curve being steep is that people (myself included) give up on the game, saying, "it's too hard" or, "this is stupid". I came back to it and found an absolute gem of a game and I'm making this review just because somebody has to even the odds a bit. It's not fair when a great game gets swept under the rug like this one did. Bionic Commando. Check it out.
  21. Feb 6, 2014
    The arm was a cool and well designed mechanic but playing through a vast early section of the game being able to do little to nothing really killed the momentum for me.
    The swinging environment was cool but the levels too small, so essentially you are just swinging in a straight line or you die from radiation, whilst this was fun briefly people suggesting negative reviews are based on people being unable to play properly are wrong, the mechanics of it were simple and fairly easy, I just felt like the only reason to be swinging along was to get to the end of levels faster. Each new move took all of a minute to get the hang of then you were back in repetitive-ville.
    An ok game with a little to offer fans of the franchise or those looking for something a tad different. Personally found it very bland.
  22. Mar 19, 2018
    Этот текст здесь для того что бы оценка отобразилась в моем профиле.
  23. Michaelthelittleboot
    May 30, 2009
    I'm absolutely in the middle on this one. Some really fun and different stuff combined with extremely frustrating design decisions makes for one of the most uneven experiences this year. If it didn't have so much pointless dying based on level design rather than player skill, my score would be higher. I'm close to the end and stuck in one battle I've literally played I'm absolutely in the middle on this one. Some really fun and different stuff combined with extremely frustrating design decisions makes for one of the most uneven experiences this year. If it didn't have so much pointless dying based on level design rather than player skill, my score would be higher. I'm close to the end and stuck in one battle I've literally played more than twenty times, to no avail. I'm definitely not a great gamer, and willing to admit when a game is too hard for my skills (e.g., Mega Man 9, Ninja Gaiden series). But underpowered weapons combined with overpowered and too-numerous enemies frustrate more than they create a fun experience. Plus, for a modern game, having no ability to duck or take cover in firefights is beyond frustrating - it's like taking a tree branch to an all-out AK battle. Recommended for fans of the original who are willing to slog through cheap deaths and chaotic (in a bad way) battles, or for people with a long fuse who are interested in trying something different but seriously flawed. Expand
  24. JohnM.
    Jul 17, 2009
    wow, neither good nor bad, its..OKAY, the graphics are pretty ish. the sound is superb, but this isn't a music game, the phsyics are great, the achievement system is clever and original, the story predictable and uninspired and hard to follow. really poor level design, great controls, weak as hell multiplayer, and poor enemy design often leaving you feel a little in the deep end and wow, neither good nor bad, its..OKAY, the graphics are pretty ish. the sound is superb, but this isn't a music game, the phsyics are great, the achievement system is clever and original, the story predictable and uninspired and hard to follow. really poor level design, great controls, weak as hell multiplayer, and poor enemy design often leaving you feel a little in the deep end and your not sure how to get out. stupid hadoukening robots. cheap as hell... ahem, really the only saving grace of this is the main character, and the arm, everything else swills it round the toilot bowl, if it was any other franchise or shooter thisd be getting a 1, the arm stops an AWFULLY DIRE game from being awfully dire, buy it if its cheap. Expand
  25. MikeY
    Aug 25, 2009
    Left a lot to be desired. Multiplayer was the only saving grace for the game. Check out our full review at : http://www.wiredzombie.com
  26. May 3, 2011
    if you are thinking of buying this game for the idea of free roaming swinging around a city, then dont.
    this game is VERY linear, you are in a city, but you usually cannot touch the floor because its flooded, and you cant swing too high because of 'radiation'.
    going in a direction other than where the game wants you to go causes you to die from 'radiation'. unfortunatly the game doesnt
    unfortunatly the game doesnt really warn you very well which areas are actually going to kill you, so its trial and error alot of the time.

if you want to experience what this game really should have been, buy spiderman 2 for ps2
  27. Jun 21, 2013
    The game generally had served its 'satisfactory' criteria, the free roaming in certain levels, the swinging controls, the different moves you had to use against enemies to perform special attacks were entertaining. But the problem is that it becomes really boring at times when you have to get to your objective and slowly concentrate on the buildings just so you don't fall into radiationThe game generally had served its 'satisfactory' criteria, the free roaming in certain levels, the swinging controls, the different moves you had to use against enemies to perform special attacks were entertaining. But the problem is that it becomes really boring at times when you have to get to your objective and slowly concentrate on the buildings just so you don't fall into radiation really. The weaponry was too vague in frequency and amount of different weapons, the grenades and heavy weapons were really useful. But it still annoyed me how we didn't have much opportunity for free city roaming due to radiation restriction. Otherwise, it's an alright game. Expand
  28. May 30, 2015
    For the first thirty minutes, I thought I would probably quit at any time, and never play it again. So-so action and ridiculous voice acting. But then something happened...it slowly became a fantastic game.

The voice acting is actually hilarious...you just have to give it time. And it helps to think of Spencer as slightly retarded. As the game rolls on, the shooting action and car flinging becomes pretty damn fun. The (two?) boss fights are great. Lot of varied areas...I never got bored from the locations. Quite challenging on normal.

I consider this is a fantastic, under the radar 360 game. Not only did I play it all the way through....I will play it again someday, for sure.
  29. Jun 27, 2013
    I have no idea why, but I just HATE this game. Usually I'm quite forgiving with reviews, but this game deserves no sympathy. This game is COMPLETELY BORING, gunplay is WEAK, the arm zip line mechanic is TERRIBLE, and the story is a JOKE! I can't remember any characters in the game except the main character who is the "BIONIC COMMANDO", and the only thing I can remember about him is ugh....I have no idea why, but I just HATE this game. Usually I'm quite forgiving with reviews, but this game deserves no sympathy. This game is COMPLETELY BORING, gunplay is WEAK, the arm zip line mechanic is TERRIBLE, and the story is a JOKE! I can't remember any characters in the game except the main character who is the "BIONIC COMMANDO", and the only thing I can remember about him is ugh.... He has dreadlocks..... He has a metal arm...... He wears a tank top......and that's because he's on the f**king cover of the box. His name? I'll be F**KED if you asked me that a gunpoint, because I have no clue.....John...... Mark........DANIEL!? But seriously I have no f**king idea. I could have got the name right, I DON'T EVEN KNOW! So this game is pretty bad for someone who is new to bionic commando. To a fan, I'm not too sure. Ijust didn't enjoy the game in simple terms. Expand
  30. Sep 4, 2013
    Bionic Commando gives you the role of an uglier and less awesome Nathan Spencer. The storyline is stupid and makes no sense, and Spencer is weak to everything. Water? You die. Radiation? You die. Fall off a cliff? You die. However, the graphics aren't bad and some of the weapons are pretty fun. If you want something that can compare to Gears of War, look somewhere else. However, if youBionic Commando gives you the role of an uglier and less awesome Nathan Spencer. The storyline is stupid and makes no sense, and Spencer is weak to everything. Water? You die. Radiation? You die. Fall off a cliff? You die. However, the graphics aren't bad and some of the weapons are pretty fun. If you want something that can compare to Gears of War, look somewhere else. However, if you want as game below $5, it's not a bad pick. Expand
  31. Aug 3, 2014
    Well this game is tough to review because I like it and kind of hate it at the same time, likes are graphics are good and I like the story, but the bloody controls suck, to many times reloading it because you die to much trying to swing from place to place and dying in like 1inch of bloody water. I would never get rid of this game because it is good, but theres to many tricky partsWell this game is tough to review because I like it and kind of hate it at the same time, likes are graphics are good and I like the story, but the bloody controls suck, to many times reloading it because you die to much trying to swing from place to place and dying in like 1inch of bloody water. I would never get rid of this game because it is good, but theres to many tricky parts swinging around, its annoying,,, but would def buy it is good but prepare to load a few times... Expand
  32. Oct 4, 2014
    Although it's not very popular, and had a really cheesy story, being able to have a spider-man-ish swinging mechanic added to the gameplay and made it lots of fun to play.
  33. Aug 17, 2016
    Bionic Commando is a generic,but functional shooter that you can have fun with.

The story is cliche,and the plot twist near the end is beyond stupid.The voice acting isn't too bad. Gameplay wise,Bionic Commando is a third-person shooter with a grappling hook mechanic.This leads to some fun,but precise platforming sections.The shooting is mediocre.The guns do so little damage.The
    Bionic Commando is a generic,but functional shooter that you can have fun with.

Gameplay wise,Bionic Commando is a third-person shooter with a grappling hook mechanic.This leads to some fun,but precise platforming sections.The shooting is mediocre.The guns do so little damage.The bosses are great fun though.

Graphically,the game looks a decent,but isn't very vibrant at all.The framerate drops occasionally,but isn't too bad,except during the platforming sections.

Sound design is quite bad,but soundtrack is decent.

Overall,Bionic Commando is a decent game,so if you see it cheap.don't pass up on it.You would be missing out on a pretty fun game.

1. The overriding impression is of a game that's physically too big for its action. [June 2009, p.88]
  2. It's hard to forget the unresponsive controls, ludicrous story, and questionable combat encounters. The game is uneven and inconsistent enough to scare away even eager fans who have patiently waited 20 years for another swing. [June 2009, p.83]
  3. Games Master UK
    When a game is built around a single mechanic that is employed so well, so often and so entertainingly it's hard not to overlook its flaws and just enjoy yourself. [June 2009, p.70]