5.6

1. RobertJ.
    Nov 8, 2007
    More of an exercise in anger management than a video game. the challengers are frustrating, the controls feel off and while the levels are good, it's actually unlocking this that makes me want to throw large objects at the screen.
  2. KevinR.
    Oct 19, 2007
    A hugely disappointing entry into the Tony Hawk franchise. They can't seem to decide whether or not they want an actual story or just some generic skateboarding, and it doesn't help that the games are becoming far too easy.
  3. Jan 18, 2013
    The story is forgettable and the lack of create a park or a decent skater remains. The game forces you to choose between 3 abilities in the form of being able to place items down to make new lines, something with climbing I think, and something else. The rest of the game was a jumbled mess that I enjoyed only slightly more then Project 8, but on these Proving Grounds Activision only provedThe story is forgettable and the lack of create a park or a decent skater remains. The game forces you to choose between 3 abilities in the form of being able to place items down to make new lines, something with climbing I think, and something else. The rest of the game was a jumbled mess that I enjoyed only slightly more then Project 8, but on these Proving Grounds Activision only proved that they don't know what they are doing. Expand
  4. Nov 3, 2018
    Tony Hawk's Proving Ground is a major disappointment and by far the worst game in the series! There are a few positives like the video editor and soundtrack, but they are all overshadowed by the game's abundance of flaws. This game has way too many new gameplay features that are either useless or completely shoehorned into the game. However, the worst part has to be the poor missionTony Hawk's Proving Ground is a major disappointment and by far the worst game in the series! There are a few positives like the video editor and soundtrack, but they are all overshadowed by the game's abundance of flaws. This game has way too many new gameplay features that are either useless or completely shoehorned into the game. However, the worst part has to be the poor mission structure. This ruins the entire game! Several of the missions were either ridiculously frustrating or the directions never made sense. After a few times playing this game, I never came back after a while and that's because it's a bad game. I can tell that it was going to be bad from the start with EA Skate coming out the same year, and Neversoft was also developing the excellent rhythm game Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock which also came out the same year. Please just skip this game! There are much better skateboarding games and the previous games in the Tony Hawk series were way better and much more fun than this game. Expand
  5. Oct 12, 2020
    At first Tony Hawk┬┤s Proving Ground seems pretty fresh and fun. The new gameplay features and the career mode sound great. But the more I played, the more I realized how repetitive and frustrating the game is. And as a fan of the old arcade Tony Hawk games, I was heavily disappointed! Very mediocre...

Mixed or average reviews - based on 59 Critic Reviews

1. Solid gameplay, which you'd expect at this point in the series' life, but it just doesn't bring enough new or innovative features to keep you interested, especially with a competitor as good as skate.
  2. The addition of the new Aggro Kick, which lets you build up speed with timed button presses, is pure genius. Having the ability to smoothly go online and enjoy multiplayer is absolutely fantastic, but the single-player experience is more chore than score, and brings down the whole experience because of its uninspired design.
  3. I spend so much time criticizing this game only because the core mechanics are so good.