7.6

1. Jan 30, 2015
    If your looking for a break from the Standard FPS's Like CoD or Battlefield Far Cry is a great choice. It's packed full of fun and ridiculous stuff to do, from Hunting, Races, Assassination, Co-op and more! With this much stuff to do you will have hours upon hours of content to work your way through. There is also multiple endings as well so if you have enough free time you can see themIf your looking for a break from the Standard FPS's Like CoD or Battlefield Far Cry is a great choice. It's packed full of fun and ridiculous stuff to do, from Hunting, Races, Assassination, Co-op and more! With this much stuff to do you will have hours upon hours of content to work your way through. There is also multiple endings as well so if you have enough free time you can see them all. The story is somewhat creative in Far Cry 4 compared to it's predecessors with the ability to change the story arc with your dissensions. The amount of weapons to choose for your destruction is very diverse anything from Pistols,Snipers,Rockets,Grenade Launchers,Bows and even extremely powerfully "Signature" Weapons. The open world to Far Cry 4 is huge and it feels alive with Lots of Wildlife/Birds and Enemy solders driving around looking to be blown up.
    If your a fan of first person shooters in general or wide open world games you need to give Far Cry 4 a try, you may just end up spending hours on it.
  2. Dec 30, 2014
    Before I begin, I should say that I never played Far Cry 1, 2 or 3. However, I did play Blood Dragon and throughly enjoyed it.

The good: The game looks beautiful, the NPCs and animals look great for an open world game, the AI is decent and the weapons feel and sound realistic. The crafting system isn't complex at all and you can usually make what you absolutely need within the first few hours of the game. Also, the leveling system allows you to bypass skills you don't want to use, which is nice.

The bad: Matchmaking for co-op is slow and matchmaking for multiplayer is nonexistent (maybe no one is playing?).

The ugly: Firstly, the map reveal system is just like Assassin's Creed. You climb to the top of a tower, do the equivalent of synchronizing, and zip line off. Secondly, random events happen on the map that you are urged to take part in, just like in Assassin's Creed. After you experience two or three, they all feel the same. Not to mention the same damn ones keep occurring at every outpost. Lastly, the open world gets old and boring pretty quick. The map is too big and many locations don't feel unique (this doesn't include the strongholds or main towns). Transportation functions fine but the size of the map and the initial inability to fast travel to unconquered areas makes travel get old. Throw in those copy and paste random events along the way and it gets old fast.

In conclusion: Bigger isn't better. The way the latest Tomb Raider handled collectables, side quest stuff and the split up map locations was brillant. This game would've worked great with a similar style. Unfortunately, it feels like a clone of the previous game (based on my Blood Dragon experience) and borrows some boring elements from the Assassin's Creed series, which is also made by Ubisoft.

Play this game if: you are new to this series, new to open world games, hate third person games and fps games with strong RPG elements. Even then you may not like it.
  3. Jan 30, 2015
    I will preface my opinion on the fact that FC3 was my 2nd favorite game of 2013. For me, it was fresh and new, the world was gorgeous and the story (if not the protagonist) was compelling. I spent well north of 100 hours doing everything I could do....and then some more time just skidooing :)

FC4, save for the visuals (which were well done, if that is becoming the norm) was a disappointment on every level. FC3, the story gripped you from the opening moments, it was thrust upon you and you were forced to deal with it...and struggle (and whine, moan and complain throughout!!!). FC4's story is as contrived as it gets; surest sign of bad writing and no real vision. Just an ordinary kid, who outright states he's not a warrior...then he turns around and, of his own volition, starts tearing apart regs with every weapon imaginable.....soooo lame.

For me, in an open world with a ton to do, meaning a lot of fetch type quests (which are populated in every game...actually what every mission is in 1 form or another), the story is critical; if I don't believe the story, how can you become immersed in the world. This is the first open world game where I have not done all the quests, have not gathered all the collectibles...dang, my screen is littered with them. I started in the first few hours, but became so bored I just stopped and ran for the main missions.

Gameplay itself is decent, the same as 3, but once you've done 3......at least the helicopter and the repelling were enjoyable.

In FC3, even in the middle of terror, there was fun in that world; FC4, there is no terror, save what you make for yourself, and yet, the world is still no fun.

Decent game, but a terrible letdown.
  4. Mar 3, 2015
    Considering the current FPS competitors on the new gen consoles this game deserves an 7.

In the circumstance where there would be a wider variety of games available such as successful titles including the previous Far Cry this game would deserve a 6. From a graphical point of view this game is stunning. The implementation and development of the wildlife is truly impressive as much as

From a graphical point of view this game is stunning. The implementation and development of the wildlife is truly impressive as much as the overall environment in which the main character feels like a real crusader of the jungle. However, in contrast to its previous title this game lacks a major component; the story.
    In Far Cry 3 the vast majority of players felt immediately absorbed within the storyline thanks to its deeply twisted and intricate characters. In Far Cry 4, the story is very flaccid. The main reason for this is simply the characters and the general build up of the story:

Starting from the characters:

The main antagonist (Pegan-Min) feels like a gender-confused sociopath that ends up in the Himalayas as the result of an excessive drug binge session. Unlike the previous Far Cry antagonist you feel no real desire to kill him. Actually, at some points you wonder why you don't just embrace his rule of power and help him blow up the whole rebellion.
    Then we have Anita and Sabal that feel very annoying. Yes, they stress the players morality by providing different forms of choices with their pertinent consequences but no, there is absolutely nothing memorable about their role.
    The last character that adds no contribution whatsoever is the protagonist himself, Ajay. Whilst playing co-op as Hurk I got a good glimpse at this "warrior". Huge disappointment. Beyond his complete anti-hero looks it is also the overall components such as dialogue and behaviour that don't feel right. Although I'm not expecting anything close to Rambo or the Terminator, I'd hope the character would feel a little more interesting.

In terms of the story the only real disappointment is the ending. After playing more than 30 hours of gameplay you expect that the ending should feel like the cherry on top of the cake. Instead, in Far Cry 4 it kind of felt like that small piece of leftover cream stuck on the cutting knife. I found myself noob-tubing the entire enemy rebellion just out of boredom to quicken the process. No difficulty, no climax point and absolutely no fun. Especially at the end when you encounter Pegan I found myself daydreaming and thinking about dinner. There was just nothing noteworthy going on. Maybe noob-tubing his departing helicopter felt kinda good but not really.

In conclusion, this game could have been a solid 10. Like stated before the gameplay and graphics are truly exceptional. The takedown system felt fluid and useful as much as the diversity of weapons was abundant and interesting. However, the lack of a solid story made the entire journey somewhat boring. Ironically, due to this I finally started doing the side quests which in true honesty where the most entertaining aspect of the game.
  5. Feb 7, 2015
    I don't get the praise of this game. It is typical derivative Ubisoft drivel. It is better than Assassin's Creed, but that game is annoying and even more derivative. Far Cry 4 is a relatively fun game with good graphics but it is so repetitive within the game and compared to Far Cry 3. Ubisoft just ruins games with their game formulas and uncanny number of stupid collectibles in game.
  6. Dec 27, 2014
    I Love THIS SERIES!!!! I wanted that to be clear up front. This game plays well, is massive, and improves shooting mechanics slightly above Far Cry 3. Why a 7? It is Far Cry 3 with a graphics update. There is nothing new here. Yes, there is a new set of animals, guns, and a helicopter. But that doesn't mean anything. Weapons handle the same as any other in its class, so it feels likeI Love THIS SERIES!!!! I wanted that to be clear up front. This game plays well, is massive, and improves shooting mechanics slightly above Far Cry 3. Why a 7? It is Far Cry 3 with a graphics update. There is nothing new here. Yes, there is a new set of animals, guns, and a helicopter. But that doesn't mean anything. Weapons handle the same as any other in its class, so it feels like weapon skins. It is not what I was expecting. The scope of this game is massive. There is so much to do, but the setting takes away from a really great game. The mountains are boring! I miss the sharks, crocks, and greens/blues of the tropics. The setting is mostly dismal. I found myself attempting to complete every side quest, and I got so bored I quit playing after a week. Rent first and decide after on spending 60 bucks. Expand
  7. Dec 1, 2014
    So the game is solid, it adds some new features and mechanics to the previous installment Far Cry 3 but also recycles a lot of the mechanics and principals of the previous game. This can be a good thing if you were a big fan of the previous game, but if you were expecting a much more diverse game its not that much different than the previous one. The visuals are better to be sure (atSo the game is solid, it adds some new features and mechanics to the previous installment Far Cry 3 but also recycles a lot of the mechanics and principals of the previous game. This can be a good thing if you were a big fan of the previous game, but if you were expecting a much more diverse game its not that much different than the previous one. The visuals are better to be sure (at least on the next gen consoles) and the gameplay itself is still solid. Shooting and fighting feels very visceral and there is always the guns blazing or silent approach choices to pretty much every situation.
    There are some issues though. The game is exceedingly glitchy (I played the Xbox One version), many times I found quests did not properly trigger their next phases upon completion of a previous stage, forcing you to manually restart. On some occasions AI units in missions would become completely stuck or non-responsive causing a fail state. The audio would sometimes bug out and you would lose a certain track of the game's audio (for instance guns would fire normal, but opening doors or melee attacks had no sound). And most annoyingly the interface itself would hang or get stuck, leaving waypoints to destinations that should no longer be valid or making your ammunition counter flash red as if it was low on ammo even though you have reloaded. None of the bugs are game breaking, but in a game that has such an expansive list of activities and relies heavily on its interface to facilitate combat and gameplay these bugs can pile up often and get very distracting.
    On the positive side many things have been improved from the previous game. The in game engine now recognizes when you have exhausted the usefulness of a particular skin from an animal, taking into account items you cannot or have not yet made and will auto sell the excess for you when you sell your other items. This is a huge improvement for players who disliked the lack of this in the previous game. Additionally there are new "Outpost Master" quests that allow you to replay the outpost taking mission repeatedly to do better each time or simply for fun. This was a major issue in the previous game as well, since once you cleared the outposts there was never a chance to do it again in a different fashion. Going all stealth and taking an outpost undetected is one of the game's biggest gems so adding a feature that allows you to replay the outposts is great.
    In all the game is solid and has some replayability given the narrative and what choices you make. However the actual endings and the narrative itself are not going to win any awards. There also seems to be a heavy reliance on the main character getting drugged by force and later on willingly in order to progress the plot. It becomes quite cliched after the third time and by the fifth time you are just bored with it.
  8. Feb 16, 2015
    Far Cry 4 is outdated Compare to Dying Light both are Open World Games

Far Cry 4
    Cons: No Co Op until Beaten 3/4 Game.
    Cons: No Co Op for both Side Mission and Story Mission.
    Cons: Co Op only for Side Mission.
    Cons: Only 2 Player Co Op.
  9. Feb 19, 2015
    Far Cry 4 ... It seemed to be the best game of Ubisoft in 2014 , only seemed . I do not know what happened but the game failed on several things , the map is simply weeds and more weeds, totally bland , the missions are simple and boring , the villain evil appears in the game , finally did not like and the replay factor is zero. Note 5
  10. Apr 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be fair i liked the game, the story was alright, the gameplay and gunplay is the same as far cry 3's. & Im indian as well. I found the game a little racist, like the beginning when Hurk say to the indian person "I dont speak youre Language" it was kinda racist in my option. To be fair far cry 4 is good......but kinda racist, but still a great game Expand
  11. Apr 23, 2015
    With a fantastic lengthy campaign that makes up for the lacking multiplayer and a (slightly) bigger map than Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 is one of the best games to come out last (and surprisingly disappointing) game season. Adding in more features like my personal favorite the gyro-copter which makes getting around the vast map quicker and easier than by foot or car. Pagan Min is another greatWith a fantastic lengthy campaign that makes up for the lacking multiplayer and a (slightly) bigger map than Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 is one of the best games to come out last (and surprisingly disappointing) game season. Adding in more features like my personal favorite the gyro-copter which makes getting around the vast map quicker and easier than by foot or car. Pagan Min is another great character addition, unlike Vaas who is chaotic and crazy, Min is calmer and more passive aggressive yet flamboyant. The main character is sadly disappointing, he does not have the arc that Jason Brody had in the last game and all we ever learn about him is his mothers ashes. But the lacking parts of the game are evened out by the better aspects. Expand
  12. Jun 9, 2015
    This is really just Far Cary 3.5. It's pretty much the exact same game as Far Cry 3, minus the QTE fights.

The build up to the final fight is both funny and lackluster. The game play is good, the islands are HUGE and immersive, if you still have a 360, just get Far Cry 3 off Amazon for $5 and it's the same experience.

Granted the wingsuit and helicopter are cool, but not worth the $40.
  13. Feb 18, 2016
    This is the first Far Cry game I've played, so I'm new to this whole system. The opening and tutorial portions are great, and a number of the early engagements are really cool with enemies that are dangerous in the open, and allow you to use a number of different strategies to take them out. Unfortunately, the fights and missions grow stale pretty quickly, and the map is too packed withThis is the first Far Cry game I've played, so I'm new to this whole system. The opening and tutorial portions are great, and a number of the early engagements are really cool with enemies that are dangerous in the open, and allow you to use a number of different strategies to take them out. Unfortunately, the fights and missions grow stale pretty quickly, and the map is too packed with events. You can barely take two steps before a convoy or ambush or assassination target pops on screen. Several hours in, it's also clear that there's tons more of the same waiting ahead. The idea of a "sandbox" really fits, as the game isn't really immersive, but it's a fun way to pass the time.

Your character's arc is a bit rushed, and you go from disinterested party to mindless rebel killing machine in no time at all. The weapons are hilariously unbalanced. I got access to a hunting rifle and a dragunov around the same time, one of which took about 10 shots to take down an enemy while the other could one-shot most baddies. And the grenade launcher is just the superior pick for almost every engagement. There's very little progression as you're introduced to almost every vehicle in the first 30 minutes. I was quite surprised to gain access to a gyrocopter so early on, giving a level of freedom (and breaking player immersion) that is usually locked until the late game in most games. I would've liked to feel a bit more locked in the forests and mountains until later on when I'd mastered the mechanics.

In the end, much of the map just feel copy-pasted, and the game would offer a similar experience with 1/2 the real-estate. Rather than having a meaningful progression, there are a half-dozen outposts between the major fortresses, and none of the outposts really do much except offer a new fast-travel point.
  14. Dec 11, 2014
    This is my 3rd review upon completing this game. I'll write one brief paragraph of the good, then one brief paragraph of the bad, and lastly a conclusion.

The voice acting is excellent, per usual from Ubisoft. The environment feels alive, and the animals make sure you never really feel safe (ANGRY EAGLES EVERYWHERE). Helicopters were a nice touch, autodrive was very convenient, and the gun selection was great. The arena mode was very fun. The storyline had some great moments, some that scared the life out of me, which is always fun (not talking about eagles or snakes this time).

Now, onto the bad. There aren't many negatives to say about this game. The storyline at times was boring, sometimes the autodrive would make you go off a cliff, and sometimes YOU GET ATTACKED BY EAGLES EVERYWHERE YOU GO. The radio is quite annoying as you only have one station, and it's pure satire. The real reason I rate this game as low as I do is because it simply is not next-gen quality. The graphics are lackluster compared to many next-gen games. This game absolutely does not compare to Skyrim. The lore in FarCry is not nearly as good Elder Scrolls and it's insulting to ES series to compare FC to it.

Conclusion: This game is worth a buy, and you should be able to get about 100 hours out of it, making it well worth $70-80. If this game had graphics as good as Assassin's Creed Unity (same developer), then I would give it a 7/10.
  15. Feb 11, 2015
    I loved this game. It was a lot of fun to play. I had never played a Far Cry game before so I came into this fresh and with zero expectations, some people are upset that it's like the other ones and that may or may not be true I have no idea but it's probably likely. Obviously I'm not holding that against it.

The graphics are amazing, the game play mechanics were perfectly fine and

The graphics are amazing, the game play mechanics were perfectly fine and smooth. I had zero complaints in those departments, at this point though those things are to be expected.

The story line was great, I loved the fact that you got to make choices, and those choices had a small impact on the story. What I felt they could have done better though is have those choices have more of an impact on the world at large. A great opportunity was lost here I felt, especially given the choices you were making. Games don't go far enough in this area, but at least you got to make choices so that's a step in the right direction. The characters were believable and the story was impactful, they did a great job in that area.

All those things being said, some of the side missions could get a little repetitive, and I felt like there wasn't enough of a reason to do those things besides earning money and skill points. The first time your asked to save a group of hostages you feel like you want to run out and help, the 5th time you're saying screw it let the hostages die. This is because they all worked exactly the same and there was no real reason to do them. What needs to happen with these open world games is those side missions should be more varied from iteration to iteration, and they should have more of an impact on the larger story. There are no consequences for not helping the hostages, the rewards are minimal, so beyond achieving 100% completion what am I doing them for? I used the hostages as an example but the same logic can be applied to all of the side missions.

I'll also say some of the same in regards to collecting stuff. This game and other open world games like it never shy away from boosting their play time by throwing in a bunch of crap you have to run around and collect, if you're going to have me collecting things, why can't those things have a bigger impact on the story? If I collect all of the propaganda posters, why can't this lead to more support from civilians in whatever ending you're going to have, this is just one example. It's sawdust filler and I'm a little sick of seeing it in video games at large personally. There was a bit of this in this game actually, by collecting all of the journals you got to read Ajay's father's side of the story, and that was cool. Collecting all of the masks however yielded absolutely nothing of value. I was actually pretty pissed off at this because I was expecting the serial killer to try and kill me, come running out of a bush or something. But nothing happened. Nothing at all. I was rewarded with infinite Gun for Hire tokens, something I never used anyway.

I was fully prepared to give this game an 8 out of 10. I can't do it. I have to give it a seven. I understand games are going to have bugs, you will never play a game and not come across a few. So I was not upset when a wall sucked me into it. I was fine with having to reset my system. What was not ok is logging back into find that the last three hours of the game had been wiped away, and completely due to incompetence on the part of the developer. Almost every game you play with the exception of this one (being the only one I can think of) has a screen where you can go to load previous saved games, including autosaves. This one does not. So when I logged back in after the bug sucked me into a wall, whatever auto save had been there was gone and 3 hours was just wiped out. This could have been avoided very easily by having a screen I go to with all of my saved games. It's just idiotic that such a basic feature is missing.

In short, it's a lot of fun to play, pick it up if you haven't, but it's also a glaring example of what's wrong with the industry today.
  16. Feb 20, 2015
    Enjoyable game but wasn't as good as #3. The extra missions get dull quickly and the main story while good at some points was poor overall. Kyrat however does look amazing and it was fun to play through once
  17. Apr 22, 2015
    After loving far cry 3 I was really looking forward to this game but unfortunately grew bored of the game after a couple of hours and I also felt that the game was rather easy to complete as well.

Personal Pro's The map is huge so if you don't mind walking running you will have a lot to explore The visuals were good Decent enemy AI The idea of the hunters (which I felt were the

Personal Pro's
    The visuals were good
    Decent enemy AI
    The idea of the hunters (which I felt were the hardest enemy)
    A lot of side missions
    Good amount of weapons

Personal Cons
    Fortresses were easier to take over than some of the bases
    Storyline was not that great
    There were not enough hunters
    Felt there should have been more story missions even if I meant loosing a few side missions.
    Got bored rather quickly unlike Far Cry 3

To finish off i know some people who love this game and others the opposite so i guess its personal opinion but i felt this game was a let down of what i expected of it and it got to the point of me just taking over the basses to get the good weapons and the main missions then skipping the side quests.
    If you have not played far cry before i would say you might like it as it will be new to you but if you loved Far Cry 3 you might be let down by this one like me.
  18. Jan 5, 2016
    Cool game! It delivers lots of fun in very beautiful sandbox. Crafting, AI, animals, everything works. If you think that riding an elephant while killing plethora of enemies and defending your fellow men is a good idea and get this game. Good job Ubisoft!
  19. Apr 16, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a bit late to the scene here, but I wanted to add a bit of commentary before I played Primal. I was a large fan of Far Cry 3 and had my hopes up high for Far Cry 4 but ultimately was left disappointed. Far Cry 4 is a great game if you are looking for game play alone, unfortunately if you are looking for a great compelling story, you won't find it.

Far Cry 4 suffers from a bland protagonist who has no real motivation for being a part of the ongoing war and doesn't really have anything memorable about him, you could replace him with a sack of potatoes and get the same feeling. As for game play, its far cry 3 with just a few new things, like helicopters and elephants. There really isn't much when it comes to game play mechanics, find radio towers to explore the map, destroy enemy camps and fortresses and kill enemies.

I will praise it on it's side characters and side missions, the Shangri La missions are incredibly interesting and fun, the missions that you are drugged in are also pretty fun and the main villain is funny and yet interesting, he's a bit like Handsome Jack from the Borderlands series mixed with Vaas from Far Cry 3, unfortunately there is no way to actually help him out, unless you decide to wait 30 minutes at the beginning of the game. The most interesting character in the entire game is also the least seen character, which I feel was a poor choice.

The entire story is kinda meh and doesn't really stand out as anything memorable, in fact, it's anything but. I honestly would go more into detail but there really is not much to go into, this game relies on its game play to try to keep things fun but even that grows repetitive and boring after a while. The worst part is the Co-Op that the game blatantly advertises, what they don't advertise is that you can not advance in the story mode while in Co-Op, nor can you do side quests. Your Co-Op player won't unlock anything you unlock, and the game isn't interesting enough to justify playing Co-Op.

All in all this game is fun for a while and will keep you entertained but it was not worth the $60 I paid for it upon release.
  20. Jun 25, 2016
    I gave Far Cry 3 a 10/10. It was pretty much a perfect game and a very fresh, high-quality open-world FPS and a true Far Cry game. But Far Cry 4 suffers from an unusual problem. Sure, one would surely expect it to be mostly a rehash of the same winning formula of Far Cry 3, and in many respects it is. It adds very little that's actually worthwhile - improvements are minor. However, inI gave Far Cry 3 a 10/10. It was pretty much a perfect game and a very fresh, high-quality open-world FPS and a true Far Cry game. But Far Cry 4 suffers from an unusual problem. Sure, one would surely expect it to be mostly a rehash of the same winning formula of Far Cry 3, and in many respects it is. It adds very little that's actually worthwhile - improvements are minor. However, in terms of content, there is a ridiculous amount. Where Far Cry 3 felt intense and exciting all the way through - with brilliant pacing and just the right number of side-quests, collectibles, distractions and overall mix of action, stealth, RPG elements, exploration and so on, Far Cry 4 suffers from too much content. There are far too many collectibles and side missions and the map is too big for its own good. The vertical nature means you will be climbing a lot up and down mountains and taking lots of fall damage and grappling and so on. But that's not the issue. The real problem is that it is a prime example of "quantity over quality". The developers have just gone nuts with the amount of collectibles, distractions, animals and enemies that attack out of nowhere, random events that pop up about once every 10 minutes, as well as the usual chore of bell towers and outposts. I'm about 40 hours in and only just got to the second part of the map (just over half of story missions). I have pretty much bought and upgraded everything you can possibly spend your money and skill points on with plenty to spare. As a completionist, I never thought I'd be ignoring side quests and collectibles that are a couple of meters in front of me because the game has gotten that boring it's frankly intrusive to the experience. It's actually a challenge to AVOID side quests if anything. I ended up turning down the difficulty from Hard to Normal to avoid needless gathering of green leaves to craft health syringes.

Not to mention that if you buy the collectible maps and read the loading screen hints (which are short and the game takes a while to load, so unavoidable) then there are some minor spoilers on what's coming up in later missions. Not that the main story is compelling by any means. Oh no. Unlike Far Cry 3, this is not a believable, immersive experience. All the characters are dry and dull, the story feels like it was written by a simple algorithm that takes boilerplate flowchart storytelling and mashes them together. Simply put, this game is full of unnecessary bloat and suffers from severe pacing issues. There's too much to do, and by the time you've done about 30% of the game you've probably seen everything there is to see and got most of the weapons and upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, the core game mechanics and the formula is still very solid, as are the visuals, gunplay, stealth (although AI is still very dodgy) and just overall game engine-related stuff. It's just that what you end up spending the majority of your time doing feels completely unsatisfying - devoid of any real benefits. There aren't even any achievements for completing all the side quests or collectibles. Money and XP and Karma are completely unbalanced - there is simply far too much money and XP than there is things to spend them on. I have yet to finish the main story but I never thought I would be leaving an early review for a successor to one of the greatest First-Person Shooters of all time. This game is just a chore to play and it's dragged on for too long. The main missions are lacking in surprises or anything to revive my interest.

So far this is perhaps the weakest entry in the series. Where Far Cry 2 was in dire need of RPG elements, a deeper economy, more side quests and variety, it actually felt much more "real". Far Cry 4 feels artificially bloated to the point where you stop caring and wish the game was over long ago. Far Cry 3 had a near-perfect mix between open-world distractions and a focused, uncluttered story-telling experience.

TL;DR: If you've played Far Cry 3, don't waste your time on this bloated cash-in which offers little meaningful content. If you haven't played Far Cry 3 and you can resist side quests and collectibles, you might enjoy it.
  21. Jan 22, 2017
    Für den Kauf von AC:Unity (und obwohl ich keinen einzigen Bug während meines Playthroughs verschreiben konnte ... hehe) konnte ich mir dieses Spiel kostenlos ziehen. Danke hierfür.

FC 4 ist was FC nunmal ist. Ein Open World FPS mit geiler Grafik. Nicht mehr nicht weniger. Nach typischer Ubisoft Formel werden Kartenmakierungen abgearbeitet um mehr Schlagkraft zu erhalten. Eigentlich

Eigentlich kann ich nicht mehr über dieses Spiel sagen. Weder die Story noch deren Ausgang haben mich wirklich vereinnahmt. Ich habe geballert, Türme erklommen, noch mehr geballert und wieder Türme erklommen - alles in einer schön anzusehenden Spielewelt.
  22. Aug 13, 2017
    As a longtime player of the Far Cry series, and one who was quite pleased with the direction the third installment took, I'll admit that I was looking forward to Far Cry 4 with great anticipation. My first play-through felt like a letdown.

I recently picked the game up again, and I can say with absolute certainty: Ubisoft really needs to do better with the upcoming #5. There are a

There are a number of positive things to say, of course. The game world is enormous, graphics are detailed (actual, decent-looking fur even on a console? Yes, that's pretty good.), and missions are varied. The added gameplay mechanic of a branching storyline - while by no means new - is well implemented and adds depth to the game. Much of the voice acting is spot-on, with Naveen Andrews and Janina Gavankar turning in outstanding performances, not to mention the outstanding work of Troy Baker as the game's primary antagonist, Pagan Min. (Much has been said of FC3's Vaas, voiced by Michael Mando. Make no mistake: Baker's work is every bit as good. They're two entirely different characters, each requiring a specific approach. In the case of Vaas, that meant over-the-top, out-of-his-skull crazy, which Mando delivered. Pagan requires something a little more...frayed-nerves, looking at the world through a very warped lens. Baker nailed it to the exact same level as Mando.) The variety of vehicles is a nice addition, with the new Buzzer microlight helicopter a particularly welcome - if disturbingly unbalancing - addition. And, of course, the wide world of Far Cry weapons and their attachments, which worked so well in FC3, is back and just as good.

A substantial improvement over FC3 is the inclusion of Takedown skills earlier in the game. By allowing players access to nearly the entire skill tree from the start - albeit with prerequisites, of course - players can hone their hand-to-hand skills early enough to be more than the relative gimmick they were in FC3.

So why the trashing on the score? Well, to put it bluntly, nobody balanced this game. It's...absurd, really. In all situations and at all difficulty levels, the enemy AI is capable of zeroing in on the player almost instantly (even in "blizzard conditions" where "the enemy will have difficulty locating you" and using silenced weapons, they're on you almost right away). That wouldn't be so bad if only the damage system were square, but it's not; you'll get pummeled quickly, while enemies just soak up damage. (Show me one human being that can take two rounds of 7.62 to center mass with only a parka for cover and keep fighting without pause, and I'll show you that it's the frickin' Hulk.) Since the entire game is built around combat, it's a glaring oversight.

Ladle on top of that the fact that you're the only one in fighting this war that seems to be able to do anything, and the frustration level skyrockets. Despite being surrounded by "allies," their ability to hit a target, hold an objective, or basically do anything but fire randomly is pretty much nil. What they can do is fire rounds into the air like the imbeciles they are as they celebrate a victory they had nothing to do with. Once you're that annoyed, things like incessant eagle attacks (against which you can't defend efficiently) and the ridiculously short in-game voice script just serve to irk you even more.

(Note for would-be developers: if you're going to go with the "quirky radio personality that talks about in-game events and the world," *give them more than nine lines to say.* Fallout 3 did fine with Three-Dog because he had stuff to say. Rabi Ray Rana in FC4 is just an annoying short tape loop. No fault to the actor; fault to Ubisoft for giving the writing short shrift. The same goes for the announcer in Shanath Arena, who sounds like a cheap rip-off of Edwin Hodgeman's Dr. Dealgood from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Sitting through the same 20-second pointless intro listening to the same [bleeping] lines just drives up the old blood pressure.)

In short, it's a game with a great setting, concept, and build, crippled by a developer's choice to shortchange writing AGAIN and refusal to balance the game properly before release.

So why review it now, three years after release? Because FC5 is coming up, and these days Ubisoft tends to double down on mistakes they've made in the past. Hopefully they'll up their game (no pun). Just be aware before you plonk down your preorder money.
  23. Jun 6, 2018
    Kyrat un paraiso de carton
    Puntos positivos:
    + Amplia variedad de misiones + La sensación de ir avanzando mientras mejoras equipo y personaje + Poder dominar animales y usarlos como armas + Opciones de mejora temporales con las plantas Puntos negativos: - Gráficamente no es ninguna maravilla - La historia no tiene nada de interesante y se ve venir - Repetitivo en muchos momentos
    Kyrat un paraiso de carton
    Puntos positivos:
    + Amplia variedad de misiones
    + La sensación de ir avanzando mientras mejoras equipo y personaje
    + Poder dominar animales y usarlos como armas
    + Opciones de mejora temporales con las plantas

Puntos negativos:
    - Gráficamente no es ninguna maravilla
    - La historia no tiene nada de interesante y se ve venir
    - Repetitivo en muchos momentos
    - El final es muy blando

En resumen;
    Un juego digno, que si no es una maravilla en ningún aspecto, entretiene y te hace pasa un rato agradable.
  24. Dec 22, 2019
    Good game overall, dynamic, big map, numerous (side)quests and those who know the licence won't be lost.
    And that's what makes it a 7 and not a 8 score. For me, it's too similar to Far Cry 3, and though it's still really fun, it looks too much like a copy-paste from the previous one.
  25. Jul 19, 2020
    Kyrat, which is the fictional country where the story takes place is in my personal opinion one of the prettiest I've come to witness. Story is better than what we've had before, and certainly the best in the franchise. It's thought provoking, beautiful and cruel at the same time, and doesn't suffer from the same mistakes it's predecessor, Far Cry 3 did. Pagan Min is an antagonist, thatKyrat, which is the fictional country where the story takes place is in my personal opinion one of the prettiest I've come to witness. Story is better than what we've had before, and certainly the best in the franchise. It's thought provoking, beautiful and cruel at the same time, and doesn't suffer from the same mistakes it's predecessor, Far Cry 3 did. Pagan Min is an antagonist, that makes those of the previous titles, yes, Including Vaas look weak in comparison. The world you're left in, all the characters, it's something I deeply enjoyed when I first completed this game. Even the gameplay, that with time does get incredibly boring, as it doesn't offer any difficulty, and is too simple, is good enough to pass, and let the story and the world take the lead to create for the best Far Cry experience to date. Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2020
    ---{Graphics}---
    ☐ You forget what reality is
    ☐ Beautiful X Good ☐ Decent ☐ Bad ☐ Don‘t look too long at it ☐ MS-DOS ---{Gameplay}--- ☐ Very good X Good ☐ It‘s just gameplay ☐ Mehh ☐ Watch paint dry instead ☐ Just don't ---{Audio}--- ☐ Eargasm ☐ Very good X Good ☐ Not too bad ☐ Bad ☐ I'm now deaf ---{Audience}--- ☐ Kids X Teens X Adults ☐ All
    ---{Graphics}---
    ☐ You forget what reality is
    ☐ Beautiful
    ☐ Decent
    ☐ Bad
    ☐ Don‘t look too long at it
    ☐ MS-DOS

☐ Good
    ☐ Lovely
    ☐ It‘ll replace your life

---{Game Time}---
    ☐ Long enough for a cup of coffee
    ☐ Short
    X Average ☐ Long ☐ To infinity and beyond ---{Price}--- ☐ It’s free! ☐ Worth the price X If u have some spare money left ☐ Not recommended ☐ You could also just burn your money ---{Bugs}--- ☐ Never heard of X Minor bugs ☐ Can get annoying ☐ ARK: Survival Evolved ☐ The game itself is a big terrarium for bugs

Generally favorable reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Feb 15, 2015
    It can sometimes feel a little bit like Far Cry 3.5 rather than Far Cry 4, but it's a fun and enjoyable experience nevertheless, particularly so with another player. [Issue#119, p.60]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 9, 2015
    It's a fine sequel but plays it a little too safe for our liking. [Issue#257, p.70]
  3. Dec 17, 2014
    One could still wish for a better story, for more choice and consequence in your actions or for an end to the nagging collect-em-up nature of the Ubiworld. But for sheer daft mayhem, this is now the action game to beat.