7.6

1. Jun 19, 2020
    Get Even is a first-person psychological thriller where you play as Cole Black, an ex-military member turned contract killer. Gameplay-wise, it's is primarily an adventure, puzzle game that sees you exploring either derelict asylums, buildings or these fractured, dream-like environments that provide you more backstory and exposition. Black is armed with a smartphone that has 5 apps: anGet Even is a first-person psychological thriller where you play as Cole Black, an ex-military member turned contract killer. Gameplay-wise, it's is primarily an adventure, puzzle game that sees you exploring either derelict asylums, buildings or these fractured, dream-like environments that provide you more backstory and exposition. Black is armed with a smartphone that has 5 apps: an evidence scanner, a UV light, a map, thermal vision and a messaging/phone app. I found myself using the scanner app the most since a fairly decent chunk of the game’s evidence collectibles need to be scanned in order for the game to register it as collected. You can also use the scanner app to manipulate anomalies in their environment and use them to your advantage, such as scanning the outline of a concrete divider on the phone screen and making it appear to provide you some cover from enemies. The puzzles in the game are fairly straight forward, mostly involving opening/closing valves ton control water flow or pulling different levers/switches to activate power sources.

Each level has various notes, images and recordings that you can collect. They’re all stored on giant cork boards inside the game’s “Filing Cabinet room” which serves has the game’s central HUB. You can warp to and from this room by focusing on a certain picture frame within each level to see what clues you’re missing. It would’ve been nice to have seen the game flesh out this evidence collecting feature a bit more. You have all these documents and recordings pinned up and connected to each other with strings and push pins on giant cork boards, a very “Hollywood” set up and you’re never given a choice to make any deductions or draw any conclusions yourself; the game’s plot progressions does it for you. While gathering clues isn’t needed to progress the game, get 100% level completion and you get a 4 digit code on the bottom left of that level’s board which can then be entered into a keypad somewhere within that level to unlock a secret and/or hidden memory.

The overall story and immersion is where Get Even shows off it’s strengths. While it does take a while for the story to unfold and can be confusing in the early going, the end result is worth it. Get Even certainly isn’t shy about going for long stretches where it’s providing exposition via cut scenes, scanning for clues or navigating through these weird, broken memory levels. There are certain points in the game where you have to make a choice that’ll affect your experience later on. Some of them aren’t really on-the-nose but still matter and others may have some serious unintended consequences.

The FPS element where I have my biggest gripe with the game. First off, the shooting in this game is terrible. Aiming feels a little clunky, there’s no hit markers, no hip-firing reticle and even getting a head shot can sometimes prove to be inconsistent. Second of all, those secrets that you unlock by getting 100% level completion, are different guns. There’s an automatic pistol, sub machine gun, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle and a crossbow. Since I found the shooting in this game to be pretty terrible, I didn’t see much motivation to try out the different weapons to see how they handled. The only saving grace here is the prototype of the “Corner Gun” which you acquire as part of a mission, does pretty much what you think it does: it allows you hide around a corner, bend your gun around it and then aim and shoot using a crosshair on a small display screen. But even the “Corner Gun” has it’s shortcomings; there’s no iron sight aiming when you’re aiming straight ahead for some reason, instead, you awkwardly hold the gun upwards a bit and then aim using the crosshair on the screen. Lastly, the game rips you for going in guns blazing, saying something to the effect of “This memory is unstable, please refrain from causing unnecessary disruptions.” or “Damnit Black, typical, I knew i couldn’t count on you to going in stealthily.” While you won’t fail a level for shooting first and asking questions later, I’d rather the game not tell me I’m being an idiot or doing something it perceives as “wrong” based on the way I want to play. Also, the game has a “good” and a “bad” ending and getting the good ending is predicated on a less lethal, stealthier approach, so I found myself even less motivate to engage in the combat mechanics since I didn’t want to shoot for the bad ending on my first play through.

Overall, Get Even tries to blend FPS, storytelling and investigative exploration and I’m not sure it’s a mixture that entirely works. The game tells an interesting story and fleshing out the puzzles and investigative elements might’ve been the smarter play here. I still had a good time with, I’m glad I didn’t skip this and for getting it on sale for $10 CAD, it represented a great value purchase.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 26, 2017
    Get Even is a winner, and if you like film noir, dark crime stories and/or games that make you think, then you need to check it out.
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Jul 25, 2017
    Good ideas are drowned out by a confusing story and frustrating controls. [Sept 2017, p.72]
  3. Jul 20, 2017
    For its running time Get Even is certainly not a walking simulator or walk in the park. It takes 16-19 hours to complete the game, depending on the player’s willingness to sweep every nook and cranny for all the clues. But Get Even is not an action game either. It’s a mixed bag really. It’s problematic with its identity, reaching out in different directions and jumping all over the place but in the end, it’s this blurred identity which is the focal point of the game. For those who have the stamina to go for the full length of it all, Get Even is a disjointed, schizophrenic, exhausting but ultimately rewarding experience.