7.6

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Sep 1, 2015
    Even if you have not played MGS before, play this one. If you like Splinter Cell, Far Cry, Hitman, Deus Ex then you will surely like this as it's better than all of them

The open world nature gives you unparalleled freedom in approaching missions as you see fit. It's not a question of guns blazing vs stealth, it's more like you have 10 stealth approaches and 10 guns blazing approaches, at least.

The base building and research components are so well developed. you really feel like you can direct an army of people to help you achieve goals the way you want to achieve them.

The variety in guns and other tools boggles the mind.

Game of the year guaranteed.
  2. Sep 1, 2015
    Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain is a great game however falls short as a perfect game

Where the game-play mechanics can be argued as being unparalleled by any other stealth based game or any 3rd person shooter at the matter, game-play follows pretty similarly to the games predecessor, Ground Zeros. However in saying this the phantom pain offers a more refined approach to this with controls feeling smoother and well implemented. Game-play is also a more noticeable challenge with players getting spotted easier and dying faster stressing the games need for player based strategy

The free-rooming aspect is another fantastic feature, running well even on 900p at 60fps, structures and npc's generate far and wide not disadvantaging you when scouting out for missions, However making it through the environments to begin with proves difficult as there are set paths the player must take to get to a location, with large un-passable mountains blocking of alternate routes to objectives. Fast travel is another pain with players having to first go back to mother base before they can fast travel to a location on the same map

The most disappointing function of the game is its main story which is unfortunately caught between itself and the rest of the game, with half the missions mimicking the side ops variety, containing no story material, with mission objectives simply being find this guy or destroy this thing until the game decides it wishes to trigger the next story moment. This is unfortunate as what story there is, is interesting and captivating but becomes lost in a tedious mission variety

Voice acting the Phantom Pain is on par with what you would expect from a triple A title, with the main cast doing their performances well. Yet like the main story there is a lack of material to work with, with most recorded dialogue appearing in cassette taps which unlock through progression of the main story, begin detailing the blanks and filling in the 9 year gap between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain nicely. However when it comes to the main game, cut-scenes tend to involve a small amount of dialogue that is generally is one-sided and unsatisfying with cinematography being the main highlight. And to clarify on a side note Kiefer Sutherland is good as Big Boss, however i can only wonder what could have been with David Hayter.

The main reason ill give this game a 9/10 is for its quality over money packing in easily 60 hours worth of content to fill the otherwise dead zone for video game releases. While also being able to tie together an enjoyable gaming experience
  3. Sep 2, 2015
    I wanted to write a review after the first hour (hospital), saying it was the best thing ever, but decided to wait and get into it first. now, after 14 hours, I love it even more. Everything I loved about Peace Walker is amplified here. Base management is engaging, Side Ops are a blast, it's my ideal Metal Gear game. I get lost in all the minor details, then when a cutscene happens, it'sI wanted to write a review after the first hour (hospital), saying it was the best thing ever, but decided to wait and get into it first. now, after 14 hours, I love it even more. Everything I loved about Peace Walker is amplified here. Base management is engaging, Side Ops are a blast, it's my ideal Metal Gear game. I get lost in all the minor details, then when a cutscene happens, it's super exciting... most satisfying gaming experience in a long time. Expand
  4. Sep 1, 2015
    Dont trust the trolls giving this game a rating of zero. The game has just been released. There is no way that someone has already gone through and completed the game.
  5. Sep 7, 2015
    As a fan of the Metal Gear series, particularly 1, 2 and 3, this game has left me disappointed. Why is that? First, it's an open world game. Now mind you, I have nothing against open world games. Open world games can be a blast if done right. Since this is the first time Metal Gear has gone open world, I had high expectations that they'd not only meet but exceed their competitors when itAs a fan of the Metal Gear series, particularly 1, 2 and 3, this game has left me disappointed. Why is that? First, it's an open world game. Now mind you, I have nothing against open world games. Open world games can be a blast if done right. Since this is the first time Metal Gear has gone open world, I had high expectations that they'd not only meet but exceed their competitors when it came to creating a world that you actually want to explore. I mean, what is the point of making an open world game if it's not interesting to traverse? If you're not going to do that, just make it a linear game like prior games in the series and perfect each space by littering them full of interesting things to see and do. And here is my first complaint with Metal Gear Solid 5: the open world is uninteresting. You have Africa and Afghanistan - both overly brown, void of much life, and little to hold your interest while moving throughout the world. While there are side missions sprinkled throughout the world, the side missions are, sadly enough, entirely filler content that does little to add to the game. Actually, they sort of detract from the game overall. Instead of creating a linear, narrative-driven Metal Gear Solid, they've created an open world, one that doesn't have anything interesting going on in it, and then try to throw in some copy & paste side missions that are incredibly uninteresting and by-the-numbers in their design. But, then, the story must be good, especially if you're a Metal Gear fan, right? Wrong. For whatever reason, Konami replaced their old voice actors with new, more recognizable actors. For example, instead of David Hayter, we get Kiefer Sutherland. Not only does his performance fail in comparison to Hayter's, he rarely even talks throughout the game. And here's another issue: there's barely any cutscenes compared to the prior Metal Gear's. While I'll concede that prior Metal Gear's may have been overkill when it came to cutscenes, but they've swung the pendulum so far from that that there's not enough now. I do agree that the gameplay here is solid and enjoyable, but when the world it takes place in, the narrative that surrounds, and the extra content is so poor, I can't give it praise that it simply doesn't deserve. If you're a fan of open world games, this will disappoint you. If you're a fan of Metal Gear Solid's past, this will disappoint. As a fan of both, I'm floored that people are giving this game high marks. I can only surmise that it's because people were really hyped about it and now they're forgiving issues that they'll soon come to dislike. As is the case very often with people who play games and people who write about them, they sometimes overlook glaring issues when they release and then only come to grips with the fact that the game wasn't all that years down the road. Metal Gear Solid V is one such game. Expand
  6. Oct 26, 2015
    I enjoy the game, but struggle to stay 'in it'. The missions seem super repetitive, as do many of the environments. There's a good game here, but I guess just not for me
  7. Apr 21, 2016
    I have not been playing any previous Metal Gear games, so this game has been new experience for me. I have been expecting stealth military tactical action game and it exactly is. This game has a ton of positives. Great gameplay, great stealth, absolute freedom, ton o small but interesting and original details, many weapons, strategies, secrets or absurd, but funny things like balloons forI have not been playing any previous Metal Gear games, so this game has been new experience for me. I have been expecting stealth military tactical action game and it exactly is. This game has a ton of positives. Great gameplay, great stealth, absolute freedom, ton o small but interesting and original details, many weapons, strategies, secrets or absurd, but funny things like balloons for transport everything or everyone in the game. It is almost perfect samdbox military tactical action game.
    What is negative in gameplay is missing option to travel via helicopter in open worlds maps. I mean, when you want to complete multiple side missions on the same map and you do not want to travel by foot/horse/car. Interesting is, that this feature is possible on fast-travel system in the mother base. Second problem is waiting times in the weapons and equipment developing system. And it is real gameplay time. It does not make a sense for me, why? Why has been added this F2P feature into a B2P game? And why we have to see Konami and Kojima logos on the start/end every main mission? I know, who created this game, so why have I to watch it every mission again and again?(!)
    But these problems are in fact just smaller details. Great game, really.
  8. Nov 21, 2016
    Regarding the multiple endings of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain...

Spoilers! First of all, I want to start by saying that I do like how the "Truth" ending ties in with the first Metal Gear but I'm here to talk to you about "Kingdom of the Flies", the cut ending from the game revolving around Eli, Venom Snake, and a certain Metal Gear. I'm just going to dive right in... It
    Regarding the multiple endings of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain...

Spoilers!

It seems there was a struggle for creative control between publisher Konami and series director Hideo Kojima and it's evidently clear that the game was launched prematurely and the internal struggle for creative control had stunted the games development.

Where does all this come from? There's a whole third chapter of the game, with a third ending, that ties up crucial loose ends and makes MGSV what could have been the definitive turning point for the series lore, the game that features the major turning point for the relationship between Big Boss and Les Enfants Terribles, thus bridging the game to the start of both the MGS series, and the original MSX games. MGSV accomplishes this in it's gameplay through an incredibly robust stealth sandbox, but just misses this in it's storytelling.

You can take a look at the ending here.

So just a recap. In the retail launch of the game, Eli and his soldiers take off with a captured Metal Gear and that's the last we see of him. That's it! So we're left to assume that maybe Salanthropous would be the metal gear that would be modified to become Metal Gear REX in Metal Gear Solid 20 years later??? We don't know!

In actuality, this deleted (unfinished) mission depicts Venom Snake tracking Eli and the kids down retrieving the Metal Gear, and confronting Eli about his heritage and future.

From what I understand it was a handful of missions that would lead up to the recapture of Salanthroupus. All of this would've been great for the character development of Eli because again, spoilers... Eli is Liquid Snake and it would've been great just to show how he really is that clever enough to outsmart the adults at motherbase to the extent that he escaped with it's most destructive weapon.

The absence of this makes for one of the key examples of when the story just flies off into the realm of unanswered cliffhangers we see in most story-driven Japanese game series today. The presence of this chapter would have brought the game back down to reality, similar to when a child steals a car, eventually both the child and the car return. Instead, the story ends in a state where we're just left to assume that Eli has taken the Metal Gear for good, and it's ridiculous unfinished business.

I think it's safe say, Konami really stunted Kojima's creative rule over the project. I don't think Kojima was able to tell the complete story he wanted to and that's very disappointing. If there's one thing the game does better than anything else, it's provide a stealth sandbox deeper and more creative than any other I've ever seen. What you get in MGSV, is both quality and quantity, but it's not the whole picture.

It's just not a complete game. In some ways and for some people that will pose as a fatal flaw in the experience and for me personally, it's really the anchor to what could've been Kojimas definitive ending to the magnum opus that is Metal Gear. Things were happening behind the scenes between Kojima and Konami and that's never more apparent than when experiencing the disjointed story present in The Phantom Pain.

Having said all that negativity, I did actually appreciate the ending that was there. How they pass the torch to the player at the very end by not only telling you that you're not Big Boss, but challenging you to role-play as him, but also allowing you to take the avatar that you created at the beginning of the game and actually play with it and customize it anyway you like. It really adds a sense of personal accomplishment to the game and nearly breaks the fourth wall by explaining that this was your story and this was your adventure, not Big Bosses, his story is in another game.

I think that without this ending, The Phantom Pain can't help but but crack under the weight of a superb gameplay experience wrapped around a story that just isn't of Metal Gear quality and just the idea of what it could have been with a stable relationship between publisher and developer gives me such mixed feelings on the game all I can hope for is Directors Cut now. With the directors cut, it could be one of the best games of the series.

I originally had a review of MGSV up that had a numbered scoring system and the like, but I took it down. The more I played the story, the more I felt like something was missing. The game as it exists is about as much of a phantom Metal Gear as Venom Snake is a phantom Big Boss. We expected the real thing, and what we got was something held back from greatness. I took my review down because for me, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is not ready to be reviewed, not now, not under these circumstances. Out of respect for Hideo Kojima as an artist, I won't do it.

After the short but stellar experience that was Ground Zeros, I was waiting for more of Kojimas signature story in The Phantom Pain. Kojima had dropped hints of trouble brewing internally, through Easter eggs hidden in Ground Zeros, and now I'm not too sure it isn't safe to theorize that Ground Zeros was the last game he had full creative control over. If Konami did one thing right, it was removing Kojimas name from the box art. MGSV is not "A Hideo Kojima Game", but rather an unfinished masterpiece by a man whos captivated three generations with a story worth experiencing by anyone who thinks video games can't be art. Call me when Metal Gear Solid 5: Director's Cut comes out.
  9. May 16, 2016
    I won't make it long but this is one of the most polished and good looking games i ever played. The Fox Engine works like a charm and the gameplay is the top of the line in stealth games. I wouldn't said that the story is bad like a lot of people are saying but it definitely felt a little incomplete, and it let a lot of thing to the player to deduce. The only low point for this game in myI won't make it long but this is one of the most polished and good looking games i ever played. The Fox Engine works like a charm and the gameplay is the top of the line in stealth games. I wouldn't said that the story is bad like a lot of people are saying but it definitely felt a little incomplete, and it let a lot of thing to the player to deduce. The only low point for this game in my opinion is the lack of the classic boss fights that Metal Gear is so famous for, there is like two (which are fairly good) but there could have done a lot more. The multiplayer base system is really solid and it adds a lot of depth to the gameplay and the actual multiplayer is quite unique and original. Overall i think this is a great game and a definite buy for stealth fans or Metal Gear fans. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2015
    Man this game.

This game gave me what I wanted from the MGS franchise for so long - tight, intuitive gameplay. It is absolutely perfect and makes playing this game a treat. This game looks and runs amazingly, one of the better looking games this year and the seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay sections are really appreciated. There is so much to do in this game, so many
    Man this game.

There is so much to do in this game, so many missions, equipment to unlock and try out, things to collect in the two massive game worlds, etc. The mother base building feature is a game in itself, massively built upon from Peacewalker. Truly micromanagement at it's finest, from recruiting new soldiers (complete with unique stats, name, face) to your Motherbase to increase you're capabilities while on missions, to detailing precisely how you want to set up your forward bases to defend from fellow gamers it has it all.

The stealth in this game is HARD, the AI is so well done. To be the master of stealth in this game you truly do have to be the master of stealth. However the game does not punish you if you want to go all in guns blazing, I have achieved S-rank on missions just by using a rocket launcher for example. Every aspect of the game's mechanics is super sharp. Greatest stealth game of all time, in my opinion.

The soundtrack is amazing and fits the game superbly. The fact that you can add to it by collecting tapes on missions gives good reason to fully explore the game worlds.

The story is intriguing and builds up momentum going into the second act, with incredibly well directed and voice acted cutscenes, interesting character developments and great action sequences.

And then it kinda gets lost within itself and fizzles out.

I don't know what has gone down within Konami but the fact the third act was cut from the game tells a lot. And playing the game you can tell the story has been cut. The ending is unsatisfying, losing momentum the whole way through the second act and leaves many plot lines unfinished. Which is truly disappointing considering it's an MGS game and most likely Kojima's 'final' MGS game. Really a wasted opportunity to deliver something truly masterful.

To add to this I felt the main villain was underwhelming for an archbaddie.

But the biggest gripe I have was that we were sold to us that this game would show Big Boss' transformation in to the villain he is in the earlier games, however I did not feel thoroughly convinced of it by the time I finished the story.

BUT these alone do not bring down the game much in my eyes, it was that good to play. Yes it was a disappointing game to hardcore and even semi-hardcore MGS fans due to the story's shortcomings, but overall the level of polish in this game is unparalleled. Really an impressve game which is worth every penny of the asking price.
  11. Mar 21, 2016
    Kinda late to the party, but I'm just finishing this game up. Overall, it's a great game, though not really for everyone. If you've been a fan of MGS since the PS1 days, this is a fitting end chapter than you'll probably enjoy. If you're new to MGS, you might be disappointed.

Things I liked: the graphics are great, I'm not all about fps or anything, just like games to look good, and this one does. The sound (or lack of it) is pretty immersive, and the controls have been consistently solid. Lots of customization for the weapons you carry, your buddies, vehicles, if you're into that sort of thing. The almost infinite different ways to play the various missions, different ways to infiltrate, to approach the objectives is really fun and makes for some interesting decisions. Again, if you're a fan of the series, lots of lore and tying up of loose ends throughout. The boss fight was fun and pretty intense.

Things I didn't like: the game isn't finished. The second part is kinda weird and feels undone. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for the finale. And it can be easy to get burned out on the game, though that's probably my fault for doing so many side missions and not focusing on the story missions. I don't care for the online FOB stuff, or the online dispatch missions, or managing my crew at Outer Heaven, or some of the other gameplay things that are just kinda forced on you (I'm looking at your, quarantine platform).

In closing, it's no Snake Eater, but it's been fun. I'd highly recommend it to fans of the series, but would hesitate to recommend it as a first foray into MGS. It's not a "regular" game. In this day and age of run and gun FPS and RPGs, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you owe it to yourself to try it out at least.
  12. Aug 20, 2016
    The best game i played for the last 5 years, good stealth, awesome story. "A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME". Now i want to play old parts. 10/10, i cant say more, mgs 5 tpp for me like a mix of awesome: awesome music, gameplay, story...
  13. Apr 2, 2018
    Its disadvantages are masked by its excellent gameplay, I give it 10 points, which is respect for the developer。 btw **** you konami
  14. Sep 23, 2018
    Yeah. My friend told me that this is the best game he ever played. AND BOY WAS HE RIGHT!!! This is the best stealth and action game and open world game I've ever played. This game provides content. People may argue that this game is repetitive, but the 12 hard mode mission that repeat are the most fun mission in the game. They truly test you and what you have learned throughout your timeYeah. My friend told me that this is the best game he ever played. AND BOY WAS HE RIGHT!!! This is the best stealth and action game and open world game I've ever played. This game provides content. People may argue that this game is repetitive, but the 12 hard mode mission that repeat are the most fun mission in the game. They truly test you and what you have learned throughout your time in this world. Micromanagement is fun and satisfying. AND MY GOD!!! People say this game has a bad story. No, no, no. This game has on of the biggest twists I've every seen. This is the game that made me love Metal Gear Solid games. Expand
  15. May 30, 2017
    Metal Gear Solid V is a awesome game, It looks great on the Xbox one. The story is the only problem, its confusing for the most part, You will not be happy with the ending story wise.
    The game play is fantastic,the fox engine is one of the best. The only problem is the STORY apart from that its one of the best games in the current generation!
  16. May 30, 2019
    ``Gracias por todo, Kojima´´
    ``Gracias por todo, Kojima´´
    Doy por aviso. Que a diferencia de los demás juegos de la saga. No hablare casi sobre el guión de este juego. Ya que en un juego de Metal Gear lo más importante es eso, pero les explicare la razon de esto. The Phanom Pain es un juego que funciona de manera totalmente independiente. La historia es un desastre total, hay sub-tramas sin concluir por todos lados. Pero la razón de mi calificación final, se da por su excelente e innovadora jugabilidad, entretenimiento sin límites, y todo el factor técnico.

Durante el juego acompañamos a nuestro protagonista Big Boss, a lo largo de diferentes áreas en su casi totalidad: Desiertos. Cumpliendo misiones de alto riesgo junto a su equipo de mercenarios, separando e irrumpiendo organizaciones terroristas, podría categorizarse como un ´Sandbox de sigilo´
    Realmente me hubiera fascinado ver más territorios además de solo desierto, e y el interior de una base secreta. Ya que el modo en que están construidos estos pocos escenarios, el resultado es perfecto y fascinante. Cabe destacar que gracias a su motor gráfico, los efectos visuales resultan preciosos, eso sumado a su dinámico, divertido y muy bien seleccionado Soundtrack, que trae consigo varios clásicos de los 80s. Puede resultar una experiencia totalmente diferente y gratificante para varios jugadores.

No puedo cerrar sin antes mencionar lo que considere lo mejor de este juego… Su prólogo. El inicio que transcurre en la famosa área de ¨El Hospital* hasta el final caótico de ella, es uno de los mejores inicios en cualquier videojuego en la historia, y con una gran, poderosa y visceral forma de empezar como esta, el resto vendrá de cualquier forma y calidad, pero con un mejor sabor.

En resumen, The Phantom Pain no es una entrega que se pueda puntuar o evaluar como cualquier otro juego de Metal Gear, y tampoco es por asomo el mejor de la saga. Es más ni siquiera es del todo cronológico ni necesario para contribuir a la historia del resto de la franquicia. Pero este título, es toda una celebración, una despedida, agradecimiento y recordatorio, hacia una gran serie que llego a su fin. Y dejo consigo uno de los legados más importantes en la historia de los videojuegos, una franquicia que revolucionó a la industria. Y que le dio la experiencia cinematográfica a los jugadores que antes no habían vivido. Terminaré esta crítica con un gran placer, diciendo:
    Gracias por todo. Hideo Kojima

Jugabilidad: 10/10
    Personajes: 8/10
    Historia: 5/10
    Diseño: 9/10
    Entretenimiento: 10/10
  17. Apr 30, 2018
    Excellent game, great game dynamics, I sincerely liked it, although it is annoying to have to listen to the tapes to carry the thread of the story, great closing of the story of the Big Boss before the NES games
  18. Sep 23, 2015
    I'm just going to break down this short review with a few key areas:

Visuals: Pretty solid overall although some aliasing is noticeable (not a big deal). Environments look good and the character models are good as well. Lighting is very well done and emits a sense of realism with the visuals. 8.5/10 Performance: 60fps is nice and seems to remain pretty steady throughout the game but
    I'm just going to break down this short review with a few key areas:

Performance: 60fps is nice and seems to remain pretty steady throughout the game but there are some bugs. There is a bug where the sound distorts and you lose control of your character. That obviously can be annoying when trying to stealthily attack a camp. Good news is that it doesn't happen too often but still often enough to warrant criticism. Previously there was a save bug but Konami has now patched that so no worries there. Overall it runs pretty smooth and the controls feel tight and responsive. 8.5/10

Gameplay: This is where the game shines. The mechanics are top notch and the customization options are great because they allow you to play the game in whatever way you want. If you want to go in loud, you have the tools to do so. Sneaking works as good as ever with the commands to interrogate enemies, and the Fulton is a great device to help grow Mother Base. The whole Mother Base system is basically a mini game within a game. Keeping track of supplies and having your soldiers complete missions is actually more entertaining then I expected. The controls are super responsive and it is neat to see how the A.I. adapts to your play-style. 9.5/10

Story: This is where the game is a bit of a letdown for me. While I enjoyed what little story there was, I wish they integrated it into the missions in a more conventional way. Listening to tapes for the story or the backstory isn't a good idea in my opinion. Also, I would have liked to hear Big Boss speak more, he hardly seems to speak. I think it would just add a bit more depth to the game. 6.5-7/10

Open World: This is also where I have some negatives. I feel that the open world is pretty bland overall and this shows in the repetitive mission styles. A lot of the missions felt like the same thing over and over which can become a bit tedious for some. I still enjoyed them but after Chapter 1 it became a bit annoying. I wish there would have been a bit more variance in that department. The missions themselves are done well mainly due to the excellent gameplay but I think they could have done so much more in the second act. 7/10

Overall I really have enjoyed the game but there are a few glaring flaws for me like the bland open world, story mission structure, and the lack of a tight narrative. The gameplay is EXCELLENT though and that obviously is the major part of any game. My score would be an 8.5/10 but I can only do round numbers on here so I will put it at an 8.
  19. Oct 21, 2015
    Don't get me wrong, I thought this game was pretty fun. However, the developers using the same maps felt kind of lazy to me. The game play is fun. But, the point is the same map gets kinda boring. Sure, it's a different objective each mission. But the same maps don't hold in well.
  20. Sep 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best third-person, action, open-world, semi-RPG game ever? Quite possibly Yes. Best Metal Gear Solid game? Way off. If you wanted the Metal Gear game to end all Metal Gear games, go back to 4. The story in this chapter is near non-existent. What lacks in story and terrible pacing (post game story is a slap to the face) is some of the best game play ever designed. Difficulty, control and customization are beyond anything any other game has done to date. Would have loved to give it a 10, but the story element is sorely missing, such a surprise given EVERY past installment in the Metal Gear series. There are many cute nods to MGS3, but other than that, it's a simple tale of revenge, with seemingly unbeatable threat, thwarted almost by a flick of the finger in an abrupt dull ending. Expand
  21. Sep 12, 2015
    28 years of Metal Gear... 28 years of Hideo Kojima. All that has come to close as Kojima has left Konami. He leaves his us, his fans, with Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain. Regardless of our thoughts on the game, we should at least respect the work this man has put into his games. He treats Metal Gear as his pride and joy. The effort is seen in the extensive stories and innovation that28 years of Metal Gear... 28 years of Hideo Kojima. All that has come to close as Kojima has left Konami. He leaves his us, his fans, with Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain. Regardless of our thoughts on the game, we should at least respect the work this man has put into his games. He treats Metal Gear as his pride and joy. The effort is seen in the extensive stories and innovation that comes with Metal Gear games. Even today when games seem to enjoy rehashing items, textures, designs and mechanics, Phantom Pain introduces new ideas not seen in games before.

Lets start off with the bad things. Sadly the Xbox One was given a less impressive version. Xbox One graphics are not so different from PS4, sometimes it's just the game and that's clear in Phantom Pain. The graphics and UI are better on PS4, before you go bombing this game with low scores just keep in mind Konami is a Playstation offspring. So remember this game could have easily been a PS4 exclusive. Lastly the open world aspects and your main base (Mother Base) seem to lack consistency. There's not much to do at Mother Base and the open world doesn't have much other than enemy bases. Side Missions can become repetitive and the story is not quite on par with the previous Metal Gear games. Snake barely talks and there's not as many cutscenes. This may not bother other players but fans of the Metal Gear franchise will definitely notice those differences.

The gameplay is flawlessly created to provide you with nonstop entertainment. The stealth and enemy placement can be difficult, but to me that's a good thing. The game is challenging and requires you to use some tactical plans in order to get to your objectives. If you enjoy running down corridors shooting mindlessly at enemies, this isn't your game. If you expect to just crouch down in a shadow and expect enemies not to see you in other stealth games... this is not the game for you. You must be very careful around enemies.

Enemies have been programmed with sufficient AI. They're smart during combat, observant during stealth and they'll mix up their path every so often. Luckily you have a massive list of different items, weapons, tools and support options to handle them. You have to develop your base in order to create better gear. Collecting resources and recruiting team members is vital to your progress. You have the option of being a blood thirsty killer or an honorable soldier who only resorts to killing as a last ditch effort. There are multiple ways to take down enemies without killing. Unlike other games this would usually be done with stealthfully choking out enemies or tranq darts, which can be kind of boring when you have so many badass guns. In Phantom Pain you can upgrade a lot of your favorite weapons to shoot rubber bullets that will stun enemies and still provide you the fun shoot outs.

The open world is set in the deserts of Afghanistan, you get around by horse or vehicles. It almost feels like a western but with futuristic qualities. You can go it alone or have a support unit help out with missions. Could either be a specialist soldier or D-Dog (Wolf). Online features base fighting, you can assault online player's bases to steal their resources and players can also assault your base. You'll need to upgrade your bases defense and make sure your army is well equipped. Assaulting player's bases is a lot of fun, easily my favorite thing about this game.

Right off the bat this game throws you into an extremely intense intro. This is one game that does NOT have a slow start. Although the game does have a lot of features that will be locked off till you progress far enough into the game, this actually makes the experience better. You're constantly being given new things to try out so there's never a dull moment. The graphics and music are breath taking. The game's presentation is incredible, cinema worthy experience.

I know the issues fans have pointed out and I understand, as a hardcore fan myself, but look at the current state of games. New games like Resident Evil 5 and 6, Silent Hill Homecoming and Downpour, Battlefield 4 and Hardline, Elder Scrolls Online, Sonic and Sim City they have all circum to the changes in the mainstream gaming industry. Features and gameplay dwindle as games slowly become less and less challenging. Entire gameplay mechanics are stripped to provide more mass appeal. In this era I can only hope games try to do their best and improve as times go on. Yet they're all taking big steps back and now all we can hope is that a game will be worth their prices. It would have been so easy to take this franchise and turn it into yet another Call of Duty clone. But Kojima cares about his games and fans. He genuinely tries to make a video game masterpiece, he wouldn't sacrifice quality for money. While it might not be MGS, Snake Eater or Peace Walker... Phantom Pan is amazing in its own way. Definitely worth buying!

Farewell Kojima, thanks for the awesome games!
  22. Nov 2, 2015
    I have experience with MGS from MGS1, 2 played to death, MGS3 didn't like, didn't play MGS4 because of that. So when TPP was coming out I wasn't interested. I then played Ground Zeroes, read the previews/reviews of TPP and knew I had to give it a go. I was certainly not disappointed.

The gameplay is one of the best stealth systems in any game ever. The guns feel satisfying, stealth kills/knockouts are always satisfying, and you never quite feel you're safe from being spotted, but you don't also get spotted instantly by someone appearing behind you that you had 0% chance of spotting.

The Motherbase/FOB building and staff recruitment is a nice rpg-esque addition, all contributing to being able to research better weapons and accessories etc for you and your buddies.

Most of the missions are quite easy, until you get the expert versions later on, some of them are nearing on impossibly hard (though you'll eventually find an easy/easier way to do most of them, trying different approaches and/or weapons/buddies).

Now the down sides, losing the game that one point - Getting all the buildings/upgrades etc can be a grind, and some of the buddies abilities are a little OP so make many missions easy (so just don't use them if you want a challenge!)

There's fun to be had here, with launching sheep into the air, running around in a box and other little tidbits here and there.

Online is fun, I don't think it'll be at the next esports event, but it'll probably still be popular for a long while.

Buy it? Yes.
  23. May 19, 2016
    I'm a huge fan of Metal Gear and before its release MGSV was a game I expected to be my game of the year for 2015. After putting in over 100+ hours, I can safely say this entry is not only the worst Metal Gear Solid game ever made, but it is also my biggest disappointment for 2015.

I truly believe that Hideo Kojima was finished with MGS after 2008's MGS4 and this, "I don't give a damn," attitude appears throughout the empty and soulless experience that is MGSV.

The story is the worse of the entire franchise, even MGS2's plot was leagues better. The open world is lifeless, unnecessary, and boring unlike the ones in Far Cry 3 or Red Dead Redemption. There's no memorable boss fights that the series is famous for having. However, the biggest sin is just how repetitive the whole game feels after the first 10 or so hours of gameplay. Prepare yourself to keep repeating the same missions and objectives over and over if you want to unlock the better weapons/gear and upgrades for your mother base.

The game isn't completely boring, as there are a few great moments here and there. However, these moments are few and far between. This game by no means deserves the 9s and 10s "professional" game reviewers have awarded it.

I expected more from a Kojima directed video game and I don't think all the blame for just how mediocre MGSV turned out belongs to Konami. Kojima should've moved on to other or new game franchises.

I hope if Konami does make another Metal Gear game, they will not repeat the same mistakes made by MGSV and return the series back to its former glory that these unnecessary prequel entries have soiled.
  24. Jul 19, 2016
    Overhyped... way to repetitive and boring - the old Metal Gear Solid titles are way better than this. Is mediocre at best - but not "GAME OF THE YEAR"
  25. Sep 8, 2015
    The game has great graphics , good gameplay, lots of weapons and thinking , but I have to admit I get bored , and I don't play it non stop like I would Witcher 3 our Forza Horizon so I can't rate it higher then those games, but its a game that others might think are better !! Still gets a solid 8 on my book
  26. Sep 10, 2015
    What ends up being the best Metal Gear game to date also ends up having the most disappointing story out of all of the main Metal Gear games to date. The game lives and dies by the open-world concept, a first for the Metal Gear series. While that open world concept and all the things they let you do in it really make this one of the best Metal Gear, and stealth action games to date, theyWhat ends up being the best Metal Gear game to date also ends up having the most disappointing story out of all of the main Metal Gear games to date. The game lives and dies by the open-world concept, a first for the Metal Gear series. While that open world concept and all the things they let you do in it really make this one of the best Metal Gear, and stealth action games to date, they really dropped the ball on the story.
    The story looks to bridge the gap between Ground Zeroes and the first Metal Gear Solid game by finishing up the whole story and trying the first game into the older games (Metal Gear Solid 3 and 5, as well as Peace Walker and Portable Ops). While the game presents a wonderful world that really lets you do almost anything you want, out of the 31 main missions that are in the game, only about 12-13 pertain to the main story in anyway, really going against what Metal Gear is known for with the intricate plots and over-the-top craziness that eventually gets "explained" in a realistic sense. While the over-the-topness is there, the rest of it is not and the story isn't as engaging as past games, with only a few cutscenes between the start of the game and the end.
    Special mention needs to be made for Keifer Sutherland playing Big Boss in the sense how badly wasted he was on the game. He doesn't have a main line in the first 10 hours of the game, which can't really be explained as the cassette tapes has him talking all the time, and you would think Big Boss was a mute if it weren't for the fact that he sometimes talks during gameplay with short one word things. With the big stink that was made with them replacing long time Snake actor David Hayter with him, they really dropped the ball in regards to how to use him. It's quite disappointing to see honestly.
    Even still there's a ton to love about this game and the fact that they could easily add more main mission storylines to it for years to come (if Kojima allows it). The gameplay is superb and the controls are excellent. It really is one of the best stealth games I've ever played and I love it to death even with all its faults.
  27. Jan 5, 2016
    Where do I begin? This game is amazing. If this is your first Metal Gear game, I still would recommend getting it. The story is great. The game-play mechanics are are solid. Different decisions impact you for the worse or good. Many games claim this, but that isn't the case in most of those games. You can choose your style of game-play. For example if you wanna go in stealthy, you have theWhere do I begin? This game is amazing. If this is your first Metal Gear game, I still would recommend getting it. The story is great. The game-play mechanics are are solid. Different decisions impact you for the worse or good. Many games claim this, but that isn't the case in most of those games. You can choose your style of game-play. For example if you wanna go in stealthy, you have the option. If you wanna go in balls deep, you have the option. If you decide to do both, you have the option! The online mode is amazing as well! Seriously, this game won't disappoint. Expand
  28. Sep 5, 2015
    I will say just a thing. TOO MUCH OVERHYPED. It is a good game, with decent graphics (nothing special indeed), good freedom of action, great story, but IA is quite embarassing. A good game, as many others...
  29. Sep 12, 2015
    This game i agree should not be taken as a pure open world game. It should be taken as a pure and incredibly precise stealth game. The amount of depth that is offered through upgrades in your 'Mother Base' is amazing and kept me excited about my next development and how it would change my play. The open world is empty and lifeless but i would not advise spending time in it. Instead focusThis game i agree should not be taken as a pure open world game. It should be taken as a pure and incredibly precise stealth game. The amount of depth that is offered through upgrades in your 'Mother Base' is amazing and kept me excited about my next development and how it would change my play. The open world is empty and lifeless but i would not advise spending time in it. Instead focus on the detailed bases that litter the world and the many different ways of doing things. The story is wacky for me ; a newcomer to the metal gear scene but i would still recommend it to any player. Expand
  30. Oct 28, 2015
    This game has an amazing soundtrack, amazing graphics, and a decent storyline. The only negative thing is the grinding, repetitive side ops, and the main missions just end up being reused but on a harder difficulty. The multiplayer is not really leveled out, so it is harder for a new player to just jump in and have fun.
  31. Sep 1, 2015
    Besides the shallow story, this game is awesome. Best gameplay and mechanics of MGS series. Hideo Kojima always will be a genius of game industry and Konami will miss him forever. That´s the best Metal Gear Solid ever made.
  32. Oct 5, 2015
    Like every other game people love to hate on things alot. Every gamer is different I have put in probably 200 hours in on the game since its release. So here is my breakdown.

Graphics-9 Sound-10 Gameplay-10 Story-8 Multiplayer-7 Replay Value-10 Overall-9.7 I do have things I would change but in my opinion this is a must have game for xbox one owners. Metal gear did take a new

Graphics-9
    Sound-10
    Gameplay-10
    Story-8
    Multiplayer-7
    Replay Value-10
    Overall-9.7

I do have things I would change but in my opinion this is a must have game for xbox one owners. Metal gear did take a new direction and I think the risk paid off if they have a future past phantom pain. I cannot believe how many terrible reviews I have read but you have that with every game. I love the strategy involved with this game. The game is very beatable I would say the difficulty is moderate but the challenge can be adjusted to suit your play style. The story is out there a ways I enjoy parts of the story but I would have liked it to be better. Multiplayer needs work badly nice idea but needs a major tweak. All in all I think The witcher 3 and Metal gear are the best experiences available right now for the xbox one. Metal gear has a high replay value because it takes a while to beat the game and there is alot of depth in the game to chose from with strategy. I kept finding myself wanting to start over which I have and the game is just as enjoyable playing again. How this game gets below a 7 on any review is very funny in my opinion taking the worst issues with the game and blowing them out of proportion a 7 is what I would expect. There are some fixes that need to be made but this game was very well made and lived up to its hype.
  33. Nov 4, 2015
    As a Metal Gear fan and knowing this will probably be the last installment in the series this game left me very conflicted. On one hand it's a next to ideal open world stealth game with a wide variety of both effective and wacky options to take care of your foes. On the other hand the in game story is lackluster and doesn't really contribute to the Metal Gear story as a whole. On one handAs a Metal Gear fan and knowing this will probably be the last installment in the series this game left me very conflicted. On one hand it's a next to ideal open world stealth game with a wide variety of both effective and wacky options to take care of your foes. On the other hand the in game story is lackluster and doesn't really contribute to the Metal Gear story as a whole. On one hand base customization and recruiting soldiers in the field are both great concepts I would like to see done well in more games. On the other hand the loading and travel times can be abysmally long, I even ran into long loading times trying to access the menu. Take the good with the bad, there's a very fun game here but I'm giving it a 7 just because of how disappointing the story was from the game that was supposed to answer all if not most of out questions.

Also, the reason for Quiet's skimpy outfit is just stupid. Just straight stupid. Sorry Kojima, even knowing the reason I'm not going to feel ashamed about thinking so when her character design was first revealed.
  34. Oct 19, 2015
    I've played about 15 hours of Metal Gear Solid V to this point. I have completed 12 of the main story missions at an 'S' rank but have not completed all of the objectives at each of these stages. It's hard to believe looking back over the history of gaming that a game like MGS5 even exists. I don't remember a game in recent memory that requires this much intelligence to simply play, muchI've played about 15 hours of Metal Gear Solid V to this point. I have completed 12 of the main story missions at an 'S' rank but have not completed all of the objectives at each of these stages. It's hard to believe looking back over the history of gaming that a game like MGS5 even exists. I don't remember a game in recent memory that requires this much intelligence to simply play, much less master. This game is truly a giant sandbox. This is certainly a game that will have you yelling 'get to the choppa' at your tv for hours. It can also be repetitive and annoying at times. Expand
  35. Nov 26, 2015
    A masterpiece (graphics, story-richness, open-world'd, optimization and lot of other stuffs).
    The ending in this one its fantastic, really mindblowing imo.

Only thing with MG TPP its grinding (repetitive and boring) and AI (difficulty was a joke almost all the game).
  36. Jan 9, 2016
    People have been saying Fallout 4 is the best game of the year but MSG the Phantom Pain should is how I see it. I fell in love with this game the stealth elements are great and the story is wonderful Hideo Kojima put his hard work into this game and it payed off. MSG the Phantom Pain is addictive and challenges you I spent hours retrying the same mission over and over to get a betterPeople have been saying Fallout 4 is the best game of the year but MSG the Phantom Pain should is how I see it. I fell in love with this game the stealth elements are great and the story is wonderful Hideo Kojima put his hard work into this game and it payed off. MSG the Phantom Pain is addictive and challenges you I spent hours retrying the same mission over and over to get a better score. The Stealth works wonderfully and is the best way to play the game. MSG the Phantom Pain is my number 1 game of the year I have not played a game that is so much fun in a long time I could not recommend this game more its simply perfect and I think it could even be in a spot of the best 100 games of all time at a spot around 80 - 50. Expand
  37. Feb 1, 2016
    I would give MGSV:TPP a higher rating if I felt more driven to play the game. The bits of story are superbly done and wickedly intense, yet happen too far apart to really compel players like myself to play loads of side missions before getting an awesome main story mission or even a gold tier side operation.
  38. Oct 11, 2016
    FoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooFooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooda Expand
  39. Mar 9, 2016
    how this game got a better score from the critics than the witcher 3 I don't really know gameplay was really fun and I like the big open world but im new to the series and had no Idea what was goin on or who the characters were also seemed a little unfinished but the graphics were definitely solid I might be going a little hard on it but it was hyped up to be the best thing since slicedhow this game got a better score from the critics than the witcher 3 I don't really know gameplay was really fun and I like the big open world but im new to the series and had no Idea what was goin on or who the characters were also seemed a little unfinished but the graphics were definitely solid I might be going a little hard on it but it was hyped up to be the best thing since sliced bread and ended up not pulling me in like the witcher 3 did but maybe this game just wasn't for me. Expand
  40. Sep 15, 2015
    This game is pretty much nonstop stunning. Graphics are ridiculously good. Gameplay is solid. Story is freaking weird. Easily the best metal gear solid ever
  41. Sep 13, 2015
    I've been playing MGS games since the beginning and seeing this game getting a score of anything less than 9 proves that no matter what someone will always complain. Yes the game has bugs, what game doesn't, point is this game is absolutely AMAZING. Only thing I dislike is it being called open world. There are several places you can't get to, mostly mountain tops. The in upgradableI've been playing MGS games since the beginning and seeing this game getting a score of anything less than 9 proves that no matter what someone will always complain. Yes the game has bugs, what game doesn't, point is this game is absolutely AMAZING. Only thing I dislike is it being called open world. There are several places you can't get to, mostly mountain tops. The in upgradable abilities in story mode and the multiplayer coming out makes this game well worth the money. The storyline is a bit disappointing but the amount of hours this game gives you is insane. I have over 10hrs in with 5% of the game done. Don't listen to the negative reviews, play the game and decide for yourself. Expand
  42. Sep 6, 2015
    xbox fans will always prefer the gorilla games...like Call Of Duty or Gears Of War....This is the reason that a game like Metal Gear will always have better reviews on the PlayStation system than the xbox
  43. Sep 1, 2015
    Great game. You can literally tackle each and every mission 20 different ways. You can go in full assault or tactical. The characters are what you would expect from the MGS universe. Fully developed and great voice acting.

The game touches on a lot of topics most people are scared to even acknowledge. I won't give spoilers to ruin it. Yes there are micro transactions but, they have

Yes there are micro transactions but, they have no effect on the game. All it does is let you accrue resources faster via multiple FOBS. Coming from a publisher that specializes in Mobile gaming it was foresee-able that micro transactions would pop up. But, unless you are extremely impatient on resource gathering it won't affect your game at all.

The story is well crafted as expected. All the customization is great. This puts any Splintercell, deux ex, hitman game to shame with how well crafted the gameplay and ingenuity of the game mechanics are. If there is one game you buy this year MGSV is it.
  44. Nov 17, 2015
    Loved the game but it has problems, A LOT of them for example: Game is clearly unfinished leaving many questions ananswered, second chapter is just the same missions of the first chapter so it begins to get really repetitive. but if you can stand this you are going to have a good time playing. Oh and metal gear online is really awesome.
  45. Nov 14, 2015
    I'll say this: for a half finished game, it's surprisingly good. All of the game mechanics are finished and plays spectacularly (if not absurdly easy) and the high points it hits (particularly during chapter 2) hit really freaking high, but it's clear that this was supposed to be a five chapter game that got crammed into two. If you want the game that is 50% cutscenes, you'll beI'll say this: for a half finished game, it's surprisingly good. All of the game mechanics are finished and plays spectacularly (if not absurdly easy) and the high points it hits (particularly during chapter 2) hit really freaking high, but it's clear that this was supposed to be a five chapter game that got crammed into two. If you want the game that is 50% cutscenes, you'll be disappointed. All of the conversation is on tapes and most of the cutscenes are stacked at the end.

The gear development is really cool, but you can get good enough gear to trivialize the game fairly early and there is really no punishment for failing at stealth. Kojima's swan song was just not that great compared to his previous games. It would have been DRAMATICALLY improved by just foregoing the open world aspect entirely.
  46. Sep 10, 2015
    The only knock is that at times I feel like I am playing a third person Far Cry game. MGS4 got hit with people saying it was too much on the cut scene side and not enough on the gameplay side. MGSV is now getting hit with not enough cut scenes and too much gameplay. You can't please everyone is the only narrative that should be pointed out. It is a great game and I am enjoying it as aThe only knock is that at times I feel like I am playing a third person Far Cry game. MGS4 got hit with people saying it was too much on the cut scene side and not enough on the gameplay side. MGSV is now getting hit with not enough cut scenes and too much gameplay. You can't please everyone is the only narrative that should be pointed out. It is a great game and I am enjoying it as a gamer and a Metal Gear fan. Expand
  47. Oct 4, 2015
    Going to keep this simple. Best Metal Gear ever made. You have so many option you can beat it 100% stealth or go guns blazing and kill everything great job guys.
  48. Sep 14, 2015
    This is the bigest metal gear ever! it can become repetitive sometimes, but it doesn't take the fun away, you just want to play all misions, it is impossible that someone really qualified with zero.
  49. Nov 5, 2015
    I'm afraid to say that try as I might, I cannot "love" MGSV. It is a very technically accomplished game, the attention to detail is immense and it is very polished. I cannot however agree with people that this is a "big" game. There are certainly many hours of play to be had, but this includes a lot of repetition of missions or revisiting the same areas to do slightly different things thanI'm afraid to say that try as I might, I cannot "love" MGSV. It is a very technically accomplished game, the attention to detail is immense and it is very polished. I cannot however agree with people that this is a "big" game. There are certainly many hours of play to be had, but this includes a lot of repetition of missions or revisiting the same areas to do slightly different things than before. The way the ending was left was a big disappointment and ultimately tarnished the whole experience for me. Expand
  50. Sep 1, 2015
    It takes it's time to really begins, but it's just freaking awesome. The gameplay is just the best you can find in that kind of game, the possibilities are incredible. The graphics are great, and the story is, if you reach the real final, just mind blowing. Whatever you are fan or not of the MGS franchise, it's a must buy. Certainly GOTY, it's gonna be one of the most memorable game ofIt takes it's time to really begins, but it's just freaking awesome. The gameplay is just the best you can find in that kind of game, the possibilities are incredible. The graphics are great, and the story is, if you reach the real final, just mind blowing. Whatever you are fan or not of the MGS franchise, it's a must buy. Certainly GOTY, it's gonna be one of the most memorable game of this new generation. Thank you Hideo Kojima ! Expand
  51. Dec 17, 2015
    this game is awesome i really don't get why people hate it its open world metal gear the story is good to its a great game get it its amazing i really think that if you get this you won't be disappointing at all
  52. Oct 15, 2015
    Metal Gear Solid 5 is a very visually appealing game, with controls that will make you feel like the Super Soldier Big Boss was meant to be. Voice acting and a score that will move you emotionally Prove it’s a AAA produced game. The game has its flaws when it comes to the overall immersion in the game and a story that makes it obvious Hideo Kojima was let go prior to the game beingMetal Gear Solid 5 is a very visually appealing game, with controls that will make you feel like the Super Soldier Big Boss was meant to be. Voice acting and a score that will move you emotionally Prove it’s a AAA produced game. The game has its flaws when it comes to the overall immersion in the game and a story that makes it obvious Hideo Kojima was let go prior to the game being released.
    Graphics: 10 / 10
    Metal Gear Solid 5 has realistic life like environments and incredible detail graphics on the main characters faces. Explosions, dust and pretty much everything looks amazing!

Game play/controls: 10 / 10
    The games mechanics and the gun fights are exciting and fluid. The game is meant to be more stealth than anything else, but if push comes to shove, Big Boss has no problems dishing out the pain.

Sound/Score: 10 / 10
    The sound in the game is amazing when it comes to gunfire explosions and anything of the sort. Voice acting is definitely grade A+ material. An amazing soundtrack queues at all the right times to move you emotionally.

Immersion: 7/10
    While at first the game does a great job of letting you know you are the boss, the constant go backs to mother base, having to complete side missions to unlock the main mission, and total lack of any activity outside of enemy strongholds make this game really hard to feel immersed. I understand the open world approach and thought it was a great idea, but when I would rather just call in da choppa instead of traveling 1500 meters through the empty dessert, it just doesn’t work out.

Story: 5/10
    As a huge fan of the entire Series, beating all the games and reading in on the lore, Metal Gear Solid 5 fails to deliver on the caliber of all previous games. While the story has its moments and Chapter 1 is great, the game comes to a screeching halt towards the end. At times you will feel like the game is over and you are just replaying a game you have beaten just to unlock some more achievements. The biggest blow is the fact that the original ending was not included in this game.

And just like the Game I will end my review here without a conclusion.
  53. Oct 19, 2015
    Metal Gear 5 is overall a good game. The missions end up being really repetitive and things turn out to be really grindy.

Story: Personally I am not a veteran metal gear player. So I have to comment on the story because the story is a tribute to the metal gear fans. Design: Design is referencing the level and mission designs. This category is where metal gear falls short. In one

Story:

Design:
    Design is referencing the level and mission designs. This category is where metal gear falls short. In one way, the objectives are the same three things every time. Kill, extract, and sabotage. The level designs (enemy layouts, world layouts) are all amazing this I feel is one of metal gears strong suites this made the repetitive missions fun.

Graphics:
    Looks great, the colors contrast really nice and the textures aren't bad.

The Game play:
    Everything about the game play works. I have never been frustrated by the fact I screwed up because I knew it was my fault. The game is polished and finished which is weird to say that is a plus but recent games seem to fall short here sometimes.

Overall is it worth 60? Honestly yes, you will get hours of good game play along with an open world that you will feel will never end. And for veteran metal gear fans its well worth it. Non veterans - 8 Veterans - 9
  54. Mar 19, 2018
    This is without a doubt, the greatest and most effective entry in Hideo Kojima's legendary "Metal Gear" franchise to date and - in that - an appropriate and fitting end to everything it's meant to everyone over its incredible run as one of gaming's most innovative properties. Unlike previous entries in the franchise, nearly every element on display in "The Phantom Pain" transfers perfectlyThis is without a doubt, the greatest and most effective entry in Hideo Kojima's legendary "Metal Gear" franchise to date and - in that - an appropriate and fitting end to everything it's meant to everyone over its incredible run as one of gaming's most innovative properties. Unlike previous entries in the franchise, nearly every element on display in "The Phantom Pain" transfers perfectly from the mind of Kojima to the player. From the just-twisty-and-turny-enough narrative, to the elements of the "war economy" embedded into the game's main mechanics, or the many well-rounded and compelling characters littered throughout, the game rarely (if ever) loses you. It's beautifully mapped out and realized, with some almost unconscionably perfect game and gunplay, and stellar cutscene and score work. Again, this "Metal Gear" is kind of everything I've ever wanted all the other games to lead to. An experience I'll surely never forget. Expand
  55. Nov 23, 2015
    I really enjoyed MGS5 and have played around 20 hours. the game is great, and the Stealth aspect is great. I really enjoy picking missions and upgrading my equipment when needed. The graphics are top notch and the sounds are great.

The one thing that is annoying me is how useless Motherbase is. there is almost no reason to actually ever visit motherbase other than to increase troop moral. Not to mention its stupid huge and forget about driving around. It does get a bit repetitive in missions, at least if you do all the side missions.

However I still fully enjoy it and think its one of the best MGS.
  56. Oct 23, 2015
    I was new to MSG Universe when started playing this game. The beginning might be puzzling and even confusing story wise but I have gave up on the story since this is where the weakness of game is. However, when I take under consideration superb mechanics, controls and most excellent approach to stealth in any game I have played then this is where this game has no other competitors. TheI was new to MSG Universe when started playing this game. The beginning might be puzzling and even confusing story wise but I have gave up on the story since this is where the weakness of game is. However, when I take under consideration superb mechanics, controls and most excellent approach to stealth in any game I have played then this is where this game has no other competitors. The game-play is simply awesome - provides both fun and suspense. The game was highly additive considering the fact that missions are not so much different and landscape does not change that much.
    The soundtrack (80s) is a bomb! The gameplay soundtrack is spot on! The game allowed me to fully dive into immersive sandbox of Big Boss.
    Too bad the story is shallow, otherwise it would be perfect score.I am also taking 1 point off for incredibly messy progression in Chapter 2 (Mr. Kojima - what the h**l happened there?)
    I will highly suggest this game for great deal of entertainment!
  57. Dec 26, 2015

58. Nov 11, 2018
    when you start this game every single thing looks amazing , the story line , graphics missions and everything but when you move forward there are repeated missions just like before i think there are only 12 missions and the rest are the same but harder .
    the main weakness is when you finish main missions you gain nothing , the story line is lost the mother base ? there is nothing to do even everything you catch during missions except tanks and cars are completely useless . don't try it is waste of time.
  59. Dec 11, 2018
    I want to give this game a 10 just to counteract bad reviews lol. Anyway this entry in the series is probably 3rd best maybe 4th i haven't decided yet. The gameplay in my opinion is the best the franchise has to offer. The controls are complex but easy to use but you have to pay attention to the tutorials. You will need to use most of the tools in your repitoire, quite a bit. The visualsI want to give this game a 10 just to counteract bad reviews lol. Anyway this entry in the series is probably 3rd best maybe 4th i haven't decided yet. The gameplay in my opinion is the best the franchise has to offer. The controls are complex but easy to use but you have to pay attention to the tutorials. You will need to use most of the tools in your repitoire, quite a bit. The visuals and many cutscenes are stunning. I miss David Hayter as the voice although it was cool to have Sutherland. It was exciting to see they brought the story full circle and included characters from past games. It is hard to not call these last two games movies but to me there is nothing wrong with that because they did it right.

My complaints aren't very big but there are some. The whole ballon extract thing is a little ridiculous and i thought they could've done something a little more realistic. However Kojima always had a goofy sense of humor in such a serious story arc lol.
  60. Aug 4, 2019
    Entertaining fun balanced without a doubt a true gem of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  61. Sep 1, 2015
    Wowwww!!! If you are not a MG fan than you should be. I was worried about the 900p Resolution but this is the slickest looking 900p game on xbox thus far. Slow but intruiging start with some of the best cinematic scenes in gaming history. Customizations are great with very good story telling and incredible variety of things to do with some refreshing new ideas. Unlike other games nightWowwww!!! If you are not a MG fan than you should be. I was worried about the 900p Resolution but this is the slickest looking 900p game on xbox thus far. Slow but intruiging start with some of the best cinematic scenes in gaming history. Customizations are great with very good story telling and incredible variety of things to do with some refreshing new ideas. Unlike other games night time actually looks realistic with some great special effects. And now for MAD MAD in 1080p. I need a second console so I can play both at once .....LOL... September is a great month to be a gamer...Dont listen to any Manic depressive TROLL reviews as this is game of the year so far...:) Expand
  62. Sep 4, 2015
    This game is good though definitely not the 10/10 many have given it.

This game is good though definitely not the 10/10 many have given it.

In terms of gameplay this is definitely some of the best stealth gameplay around. A wide array of weapons, gadgets, player movements and always many ways to complete the mission. It is a real blast deciding how to approach a situation and highly satisfying when it comes off. Stealthing through the enemy and picking them off one by one has never felt so smooth or as satisfying.

However there has always been two sides of MGS games and while the gameplay is marvelous the story is somewhat of a disappointment. The intro is very enticing and cinematic but when the world opens up it really falls apart at the seams. The story becomes voice over, mission descriptions and perhaps a cinematic every few hours. It just is a real demonstration of the way the open world concept can be implemented to the detriment of story. I can only put it down to inexperience in this area.
  63. Sep 24, 2015
    This game has wonderful meta- and main game loops. Whatever you do affects and changes the game world, in a plausible and more importantly, in an entertaining way. Handling and style are great as always, the story refreshingly lighthearted in between more serious writing. Last but not least also this part doesn't take itself too seriously, one even wonders how much fun Kojima had puttingThis game has wonderful meta- and main game loops. Whatever you do affects and changes the game world, in a plausible and more importantly, in an entertaining way. Handling and style are great as always, the story refreshingly lighthearted in between more serious writing. Last but not least also this part doesn't take itself too seriously, one even wonders how much fun Kojima had putting his name all over the place. Expand
  64. Sep 1, 2015
    Simply a masterpiece kojima and kojima productions have delivered in every metal gear entery and this one is addictingly fun Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply aSimply a masterpiece kojima and kojima productions have delivered in every metal gear entery and this one is addictingly fun Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Simply a masterpiece Expand
  65. Nov 13, 2015
    Amazing. This game was a thrill to play and had hours of game play. It was refreshing from the previous metal gear games, and had a very interesting and powerful story line. The new multiplayer feature was also fantastic and added on to the game after the campaign. The new open world aspect also added on to the immersion of the story. This game not only had a great story, but amazing gameAmazing. This game was a thrill to play and had hours of game play. It was refreshing from the previous metal gear games, and had a very interesting and powerful story line. The new multiplayer feature was also fantastic and added on to the game after the campaign. The new open world aspect also added on to the immersion of the story. This game not only had a great story, but amazing game play and exceptional graphics. This was probably one of the most defining games in the series and I would definable recommend picking this up. Expand
  66. Oct 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es un video juego, que entretiene en las primeras misiones, luego se pierde esa magia, repite los mismos tipos de misiones varias veces y las dinamicas.

Me encata la sistema de sigilo, armas y demas cosas, pero Hideo Kojima perdio la magia, en este video juego, muy repetitivo, escenarios pocos variables.

El juego se basa, en extraer este objectivo y interroga este, roba esto. No te deja asesinar a un enemigo, dandote malas notas.
  67. Dec 23, 2015
    Rated 10/10 the best game of the year apart from GTA on PC but still. it has its cons but I would recommend it to anyone who likes COD,battlefield or assassins creed or splintercell
  68. Sep 6, 2015
    The game of the year, a master piece of Hideo Kojima. great game.

Xbox fans will always prefer the gorilla games...like Call Of Duty or Gears Of War....This is the reason that a game like Metal Gear will always have better reviews on the PlayStation system than the xbox
  69. Sep 2, 2015
    I spent the past 2 days doing nothing but playing this game. It's addictive as hell and has a ton of content. I've spent about 25 hours in the game so far and still haven't beaten the story, hell, i don't even feel close to completing the story. Every objective has about 3 trillion ways to complete it. You can sneak in like a stealthy ninja with your dog or charge a compound withI spent the past 2 days doing nothing but playing this game. It's addictive as hell and has a ton of content. I've spent about 25 hours in the game so far and still haven't beaten the story, hell, i don't even feel close to completing the story. Every objective has about 3 trillion ways to complete it. You can sneak in like a stealthy ninja with your dog or charge a compound with airstrikes and helicopter support!!! They have the main missions you can do which usually lead to intense situations or you can do side ops which has you do anything from extracting some prison guy that claims to be "highly skilled" and then has crap stats to ambushing a tank column cruising down the road. Plenty of easter eggs are scattered about in classic MGS style which is awesome! Now for the reason i give this game a 9/10 instead of giving it a perfect score. Cutscenes are extremely limited and the story just kinda pops up at random times. This is Metal Gear!! I want cutscenes that rival the length of an episode of Spongebob!! This wouldn't be to much of an issue but big boss might as well be the main character from Grand Theft Auto 3, he barely talks and when he does it's usually one line and then shuts up. I loved MGS 3 where you also played as Big Boss before he was Big Boss, but its kinda hard to really care about what happens to him when Revolver Ocelot moves the story along much better than the character you're playing. Either way, You can't complain. The game play is exceptional and it has a ton of content which is what makes good games good. The lack of story involves activities is slightly frustrated but you'll find yourself forgetting about it anyway while you hunting for legendary bears and have your dog slit people throats for staring in your direction..... Expand
  70. Oct 12, 2015
    After one hour playing you will say ' This is the Game of the Year baby' .... but a 3 to 4 hours in it will hit you. Its a bloody disaster.

From the magic of Metal Gear Solid on the ps to the madness on MGS4 with all those crazy cut scenes i have loved every minute of the series. What i loved was the epic boss battles and the clever tricks that made you say "wow that was cool" - The characters like Vamp, psycho mantis, the codec, the music but most of all the STORY!!!!

I'm afraid all of the elements i loved about MGS have gone (maybe the music is ok). apart from an interesting opening scene the story is so so so poor. Not only is it poor but it doesn't flow, you spent hours doing missions that mean nothing in terms of the story and it just kills the flow! Its all good being able to sink hours and hours into a game but not when its doing the same thing over and over and over. I would be happy with half the mission but having a good metal gear story, making every minute count, i wanted to feel part of the story and sit back and enjoy those cool cut scenes. So i tried hard to do so, i tried to fly through the main missions to get a feel for the story and yes the cut scenes came faster at the sacrifice of stealthy game-play, but it didn't matter as the story is pathetic. Man i'm angry

Positive things.....Yes the game-play is good, its fun sneaking around finding new blueprints, extracting enemy soldiers to join you, There are many many ways to complete mission and there are loads of weapons (shame you cant really use them as its a stealth game), The mother-base thing is fun for an hour or so,...Open world meh i don't care as there is nothing in it anyway but yeah it looks good....that's the good things

Negative things - Story is shockingly bad , characters are dull (especially snake) The missions are repetitive and have no meaning. I'm right near the end of the game and it has been a real struggle, even if the last boss/twist is going to be phenomenal i don't care, this game has no soul, its not a metal gear!

I will remember the beauty of being on Shadow mosses making those keys hot and cold, and the big shell watching Vamp sprint across the water, and every single second of Snake Eater. Imam really sad to say that this game is not only nothing like those amazing legendary games.

This phantom pain is confused. It wants open world style but cant compete with the witcher, skyrim or Gta, and in trying to give users the open world feel (which did sound amazing when i first heard it) it has taken away the soul of Metal Gear, and what a Soul it was. :(
  71. Jan 13, 2016
    Seeing people give this game a 0 is just pathetic, and the sole reason the user review score will never mean anything. Those people probably can't even figure out how to tie their shoe laces let alone play a masterpiece that is Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain. Respect to Kojima and good luck to him in his future projects.
  72. Oct 24, 2015
    Realmente me sentí decepcionado los últimos minutos del juego, obviamente la jugabilidad fue buena pero el sigilo de los primeros juegos fue afectado ahora por la accion, con una historia solida pero no extraordinaria el ultimo capitulo de Hideo Kojima fue bueno pero no sorprenderte.
  73. Dec 4, 2016
    Tenia ganas de jugarlo pero me ha parecido muy malo y eso que le he dado una oportunidad de 12h,que no es poco,las mecanicas ,graficos y sonido estan bien ,pero no se por que se me hace aburridisimo,todo el tiempo haciendo lo mismo sin sentido...no se si se animará mas adelante y sera mas divertido pero no he aguantado mas,y eso que aguante la primera fantasmada que es un coñazo enorme yTenia ganas de jugarlo pero me ha parecido muy malo y eso que le he dado una oportunidad de 12h,que no es poco,las mecanicas ,graficos y sonido estan bien ,pero no se por que se me hace aburridisimo,todo el tiempo haciendo lo mismo sin sentido...no se si se animará mas adelante y sera mas divertido pero no he aguantado mas,y eso que aguante la primera fantasmada que es un coñazo enorme y ya tenia ganas de no jugarlo mas,pero hacer el esfuerzo no mereció la pena.... Expand
  74. Dec 4, 2016
    my game of the year in a wonderful year for gamers but possibly the most disappointing game since resident evil 6 for me. THE GOOD: continuing the metal gear story for big boss my fav video game character the story in this game while controversial is still better then 90% of games out there the gameplay is the best stealth gameplay ever and the graphic sound and technical aspects aremy game of the year in a wonderful year for gamers but possibly the most disappointing game since resident evil 6 for me. THE GOOD: continuing the metal gear story for big boss my fav video game character the story in this game while controversial is still better then 90% of games out there the gameplay is the best stealth gameplay ever and the graphic sound and technical aspects are awesome. THE BAD: mgo is tack on lacks content and already dead, the game sometimes freezes and their is some real **** textures in some places the extra ops are also real repetitive and lack varity which is weird since peace walker on the psp had a ton of it like ghost hunting monster hunting and holding people up with a banana all the side missions in 5 seem to be go somewhere and make something disappear by destroying it or fultoning it. also the game has a ton of cut content including the ending to the game that leaves loose ends. Expand
  75. Oct 2, 2015
    After the brilliant Ground Zeroes mission, this game feels a bit lame and disappointing in comparison.
    The story is fairly boring. After Ground Zeroes mission I hoped this game would be a dramatic political thriller with history and fiction coming together nicely. However it played like a lazy and simple C-Class action movie with no substance.
    This game appears like a mess. The

This game appears like a mess. The cutscenes are very randomly put together and dont progress the story or characters well. Some are silly or outright stupid that didnt make any sense.

The main missions were quite lackluster, you could not distinguish main missions from side missions(which were enjoyable), they were both equally generic and random jobs. They even begin with the same line: Boss we have a new job coming in... Quite boring progression. I always wondered if these are warmup missions and if the real story would begin later.

The fighting missions are frustratingly difficult and not well balanced at all with a lot of dying.
    Motherbase feels a bit like a chore, I didnt even visit many parts of it as there was nothing particular going on, just one big maze.

There is barely any memorable music and soundtracks in this game, unlike Ground Zeroes.

And the worst aspect is that the game forces me to play through older missions again in a higher difficulty, what ultimately led me to stop playing.

There are some nice aspects too however.
    The graphics are fantastic and the locations beautiful and believable, albrit a bit static. The stealth gameplay is very good and thrilling. The voice acting is superb and the casette tapes well done, even if they didnt manage to make the thin story better.
    The characters feel real, I wish we got to know them better. Sadly we only experience the surface of them with little meaningfull interaction.
    The atmosphere in the game is good, the open world aspect works very well and gives you a sense of freedom, but definitely at the expense of interesting content.
    The technical quality of the game is phenomenal.

But without an interesting story, cinematic cutscenes, character developement, dialogue and memorable soundtrack apart from the title song, the soul is just missing for me in this game. Much of the joy I got from anticipation to more interesting content later in the game, which sadly never came.
  76. Sep 2, 2015
    Previous Metal Gear games was most cinematic and story driven productions of their times so imagine my disappointment when it turned out that MGV is one of the least cinematic games in this year...

After great beginning - which is probably the most story driven part of the game - you landed in Afghanistan and there story is just... gone. Your getting one short cutscene and some cinematic action sequence per 3 to 4 hours of gameplay! How is that even possible in Kojima game?! To hell with that... How is that even possible in 2015, after we get such narration-based games like Witcher 3, where almost every single quest has cinematic story to it?!

I mean **** the story... **** the narration... It is just incredibly bad for the pacing. The moment you get into "open world" game becomes "choose the mission => go from point A to point B => do the stealth => repeat". It's almost like Destiny all over again. True, game has some great story-driven moments but they happen between hours upon hours of doing stealth missions all over again. And missions themselves aren't so much varied!

The gameplay is great, no doubt about that, and game looks and runs gorgeous but the amount of story per hour and overall pacing make it repetitive after first 4 hours. It's like Kojima made amazing 10 hour game and then someone stretched it out to 50 hours by putting in completely story-lacked missions with only Ocelot speaking something of little importance to your ear. I can not understand those 10/10 from everyone. It is just impossible how everyone love this game with its repetitive "do the steath mission over and over again" while there are such games like Witcher or the Last of Us out there. It is just crazy.
  77. Sep 26, 2015
    I am 12 hours into this game and am putting it away. I have too many old games I want to play to waste my time on average fare like this. That the "pro" reviews are so high is a disgrace, but sadly one we are becoming used to; there is no reason, other than money or blind nostalgia anyone would rage this game higher than a 7.5.....I think fair ratings would be anything between 3-7.

The

The Prologue is complete nonsensical drivel and Sutherland's voice is jarring. There was no way for me to become immersed in this joke. Then the game opens up...and it gets worse. No story, stealth this for no reason, stealth that to loot some raw materials to build a ridiculous mother base....sweet lord this was poorly done. It is clear this company had no idea how to do an open world...and it shows.....and what the %^$&* is with credits rolling before and after every mission......amateur hour.
  78. Sep 20, 2015
    The game is unfinished. The story is nonexistent . The game gets repetitive and due to the fact you have to do the side ops missions to progress you forget what is happening in the main missions . The base building aspect is there only to stall you and it's full of places you can't enter as is the same in missions where huge bases have doors you can't go in . All in all I was disappointedThe game is unfinished. The story is nonexistent . The game gets repetitive and due to the fact you have to do the side ops missions to progress you forget what is happening in the main missions . The base building aspect is there only to stall you and it's full of places you can't enter as is the same in missions where huge bases have doors you can't go in . All in all I was disappointed with this game but its core gameplay is enough to keep non metal gear fans entertained since it doesn't matter any more to follow a stealth approach Expand
  79. Oct 7, 2015
    This game is going to be Marmite for people you will love it or hate it. If you are new to the MGS franchise then you will probably love this game as it has been one of the best games this year but personally i feel there is not much to compare too as it has been a bad year for games. And the game feels like a glorified farcry to me.

The gameplay is good as the game plays smooth and

The gameplay is good as the game plays smooth and i feel that they have improved greatly on the game mechanics and stealth. If you like open world games the map is quite big and you can invest loads of hours getting lost in the game and the graphics are awesome.

The downside to this game is if you loved the stories of the previous games then this one is the worse in the MGS series because the story is short and bland and this game is seriously lacking the epic boss battles.
    And the game is very repetitive I feel the game is more based around building your base rather than actually playing the missions plus with you having to replay missions on a harder difficulty just to unlock new missions is a terrible concept, maybe after you completed the game.

For me the game was majorly hyped up and has been a failure maybe it was because of the problems between Konami and Kojima that affected the game? But what ever went on this game was a let down compared to the other MGS games and i think this is the first one i wont go back and play again once I'm complete which i'm currently on 82% complete.
  80. Jan 2, 2016
    -Metal Gear from 1987 was NOT the first stealth game. Castle Wolfenstein from 1981 was.
    -Metal Gear Solid from 1998 was NOT the first game to feature cinematic story telling. Wing Commander from 1990 was.
    -Metal Gear Solid 5 has non-connected gameplay elements that rank it as a typical sandbox with an incoherent story than a stealth title like Thief, Hitman or Deus Ex.
  81. Sep 16, 2015
    Great game, Glad I bought it. Love the open sandbox aspect. My only gripe would be the learning curve on managing your HQ etc and the AI can be a little dumb but overall very entertaining.
  82. Mar 11, 2019
    This is more a retrospective review considering what Konami has been doing with monetizing the game:

F*** YOU KONAMI
  83. Nov 9, 2015
    Not that the user score is relevant in any way (due to the people that vote "0" just to prove a point), but I'm gonna leave my opinion any way.

The game is one of the best third person shooters ever made. The sheer complexity of the game is overwhelming and takes some times to get used to, even with the game slowly easing you into all the features. The gameplay is extremely detailed

The gameplay is extremely detailed and lets you approach every mission or situation however you desire. If Hitman or other stealth games make you feel like you're missing out if you're not doing the missions stealthy, Metal Gear avoids that at all cost. Whichever way you approach it, the options of succeeding are endless and usually very satisfying, always putting your imagination and wit to the test.

Also, the whole idea of you comendeering a "mother base" is genius and adds a different feel to the usual third person action, along with the use of a "buddy" that assists you in missions.

Overall a masterpiece of a game from every perspective. I know it's all about taste and that different people can have different opinions, but a game this complex and detailed can only receive a grade of 5 or less from somebody that wants to prove a point, or didn't actually take the time to try it.
  84. Jan 1, 2017
    Could have been so much more. Engine, graphics and sound are very good. It plays very smoothly and is a very slick production. However, the unstructured gameplay and mission-based structure harms the experience instead of improving it.

It needed a much more involving experience, such as those found in prev titles, rather than cold, disjointed missions that you select from a drop down menu. Because of this, you fail to become interested in the characters and story in the same way you would previously.

The cutscenes and CGI, when they occur, are generally strong, but can't help it feel like you are playing a totally different game to the previous titles, and one that is nowhere near as engaging and addictive because of the change in structure.

Snakes voice is dull and simply isn't the same as with David Hayter who is Snake and the only one who can be Snake (BAD decision to change this for no apparent reason or improvement to the experience).

The missions also become 'samey' too quickly and a greater variety of tasks would be welcomed with a much more linear format, perhaps after half way through the game opening it up to have more freedom (but not individual 'missions' please).

Boss fights are also less memorable, notable ones being the Skulls which are annoying 'alien' like creatures that teleport from place to place making the battles more luck than skill.

Overall, it had the potential to be an epic game but they messed up and can only be a 6/7 due to the problems above.
  85. Oct 20, 2015
    I have been gaming since the days of the C64, over 30 years. This is the best gaming experience in my entire life and by a significant margin. This game is literally perfect in very way, particularly if you are a fan of the stealth/sneak-em-up genre. I have never liked any of the previous MGS games much - they were too awkward, quirky and in some cases, just plain frustrating to play.I have been gaming since the days of the C64, over 30 years. This is the best gaming experience in my entire life and by a significant margin. This game is literally perfect in very way, particularly if you are a fan of the stealth/sneak-em-up genre. I have never liked any of the previous MGS games much - they were too awkward, quirky and in some cases, just plain frustrating to play.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is literally a perfect game. Don't listen to the hard core MGS fans out there moaning about lack of story and cut scenes - there is plenty of story in here (more if you want to troll through 500 cassette tapes you find) and the whole game is so atmospheric and cinematic it's like one long, giant cinematic anyway.

I played nothing but MGS5 from launch and completed it a few days ago - I miss playing it terribly.

Trust me, this is the greatest game ever made.
  86. Nov 29, 2015
    Somehow Kojima managed to do open world and secret base building better than every single ubisoft game in the last fifteen years. He can't write his way out of a paper bag, that much is impossibly clear, but it is amazing how well he conveyed the sense of just badass power in everything the player does in the game. From sneaking behind snipers in the rain, to punching your way through anSomehow Kojima managed to do open world and secret base building better than every single ubisoft game in the last fifteen years. He can't write his way out of a paper bag, that much is impossibly clear, but it is amazing how well he conveyed the sense of just badass power in everything the player does in the game. From sneaking behind snipers in the rain, to punching your way through an army of child soldiers, this is the one game that actually tried to make the player feel cool and did it.

Slamming the door of the helicopter or pulling the trigger on an enemy just feels real, every action has weight to it where games like the witcher 3 and especially fallout/skyrim literally show their game engine when you try to interact with an object or move the character in the air.

The multiplayer is just plain innovative and after three hundred hours of raiding other people's bases I still can't put the controller down, and yes you should play with a controller as it is an Xbox port - but it will handle decently with m+k.

The only complaints are konami's handling of, well, literally everything and Kojima's god-awful plot. The game itself is a miracle considering it was designed to run on 512mb of ram, and the only honest game I've been impressed with in two years
  87. Oct 16, 2015
    I am only about 6-7 hours into this bad boy, so take that into account before continuing. That being said, this game is a masterpiece. It is an absolute achievement of a multimedia experience. I picked up Ground Zeroes on GwG and loathed it. This is not Ground Zeroes. This is a game that throws you into a very large (I won't go so far as to say massive) world and just turns you loose.I am only about 6-7 hours into this bad boy, so take that into account before continuing. That being said, this game is a masterpiece. It is an absolute achievement of a multimedia experience. I picked up Ground Zeroes on GwG and loathed it. This is not Ground Zeroes. This is a game that throws you into a very large (I won't go so far as to say massive) world and just turns you loose. It rewards your patience and intelligence and gives you the freedom to act in ways that actually make you feel as though you are a true covert bad ass.

The Afghan wilderness/desert in '84 is a punishing place, filled with terrible weather and swarms of Soviet soldiers. Nothing feels cooler than skulking around it, finding a nest of three Soviet snipers on overwatch at a bridge crossing, putting a sleeping dart in the lead sniper and then seamlessly switching to my assault rifle and drilling double taps into his compatriots before they even get off a shot.

This game is amazing. Buy it. Right now. Go out and buy it.
  88. Sep 21, 2015
    es un buen juego solo que esta salido totalmente ya de contexto y lo peor es que no se puede mesclar un GTA con un metal gear ojala y aprendan de sus errores hideo kojima.. las misiones se hacen pesadas y un poco aburridas lo mejor es el principio!!
  89. Sep 10, 2015
    Como juego es uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado hasta la fecha, la mecanica de infiltracion muy acertada, el formato episodico de misiones principales muy original, las posibilidades que te da el sandbox, brutales, graficos, sin ser tecnicamentes alucinantes, artisticamente muy acabados y sinceramente lucen genial, de acuerdo el juego es divertido, no hace falta ser fan de la sagaComo juego es uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado hasta la fecha, la mecanica de infiltracion muy acertada, el formato episodico de misiones principales muy original, las posibilidades que te da el sandbox, brutales, graficos, sin ser tecnicamentes alucinantes, artisticamente muy acabados y sinceramente lucen genial, de acuerdo el juego es divertido, no hace falta ser fan de la saga para disfrutarlo, desde luego este juego no es un fan-service, si todo lo que he escrito hasta ahora es positivo, ¿por que le he puesto un 6?

De acuerdo, el juego es bueno, pero el problema es que esto NO es un juego, es un METAL GEAR.
    hasta ahora la saga se habia caracterizado por su linealidad y la abundacia de escenas cinematicas, una historia enrevesadisima y muy muy bien llevada que seguro logró emocionar a mas de uno, este.... no logra trasmitir a escepcion de un par de escenas sueltas..... la historia esta diluida entre misiones literalmente de relleno... no creo que a ningun fan de la saga le haya gustado de verdad este juego, rompe la tendencia natural de la saga y no para hacerle justicia, el mismo modelo, metiendo todas las misiones de relleno como segundarias y haciendo lineales las primeras para que te puedas empapar de la historia y alargando el juego hasta las 60 horas con las misiones secundias(por supuesto opcionales) habria sido perfecto.

Conclusion: Metal Gear Solid pretende gustar a todo el mundo, y para ello ha tenido que sufrir, en general, es una buena compra, eso si, no esperes un juego convencional de Kojima, nos quedamos con sabor agridulce despues de tanto relleno y misiones sin sentido alguno
  90. Nov 8, 2015
    It's one of the best games ever created. The progression, narrative, flow, and mechanics are tightly polished and well designed. Every action taken in the game means something. There is minute to minute tension that impacts the overall experience which is unparalleled in other games to date. The player has limitless options to complete a mission or side quest. Tanks, Helicopters, orIt's one of the best games ever created. The progression, narrative, flow, and mechanics are tightly polished and well designed. Every action taken in the game means something. There is minute to minute tension that impacts the overall experience which is unparalleled in other games to date. The player has limitless options to complete a mission or side quest. Tanks, Helicopters, or straight stealth. Expand
  91. Oct 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jogo de mini missões que se passa sempre nas mesmas bases, nos mesmo lugares, com os mesmo respawns de inimigos e itens. Aparentemente o jogo não oferece progresso ao jogador, você apenas tem que repetir todos os mapas com objetivos diferentes ( primeira vez manda você na base 2 matar 1 cara, depois manda você tem que ir na mesma base só que o objetivo agora é explodir um tanque) e você fica na esperança de um jogo com a historia principal linear porem existem milhões e milhões de fillers que te impede de finalmente completar o jogo. Expand
  92. Nov 9, 2015
    Perhaps one of the most visually impressive and best playing of the Metal Gear series by a wide margin, MGS V is a must have for fans of both open world games and Metal Gear fans. The attention to detail (a Kojima trademark) is simply staggering, and even more so in the movement of the player character, switching aim stances and the ability to aim at targets behind you while prone, givingPerhaps one of the most visually impressive and best playing of the Metal Gear series by a wide margin, MGS V is a must have for fans of both open world games and Metal Gear fans. The attention to detail (a Kojima trademark) is simply staggering, and even more so in the movement of the player character, switching aim stances and the ability to aim at targets behind you while prone, giving way to a more realistic and natural feeling character movement. This attention to detail isn't always positive. While most other open world games would've implemented a fast travel mechanic for quickly traversing the landscapes and locations of the world, MGS V implements tedious and repetitively annoying Heli extractions, which require you to open a menu and call in a Heli and several limited extraction zones and then wait for a minute. The story, simply put, is complete gibberish, veterans of the series will have a difficult time following it. While past iterations were heavy on exposition via cutscenes and Codec conversations, these are largely absent, leading to a confusingly awkward and often times voiceless narrative. The voice acting is excellent, though the removal of several side characters signature traits (Ocelots raspy voice) has me confused as to who I'm talking to during mission briefs (Kaz & Ocelot sound too similar) Overall, this is easily the best playing Metal Gear ever, though this seems to have come at a narrative cost, a complete 180 for this assumed final chapter of the MGS franchise Expand
  93. Nov 9, 2015
    Amazing Game, not the best MG, but a really good Game. The new patches are awesome. I was so exicted and finally its out. Story is OK, Graphics are awesome, Gameplay is 10/10 and the weapon arsenal is amazing. The Mutliplayer is cool too, makes a lot of fun. The only critic is that the multiplayer uses P2P. So, sometimes the game closed if the Host leaves the Game, but its not a bigAmazing Game, not the best MG, but a really good Game. The new patches are awesome. I was so exicted and finally its out. Story is OK, Graphics are awesome, Gameplay is 10/10 and the weapon arsenal is amazing. The Mutliplayer is cool too, makes a lot of fun. The only critic is that the multiplayer uses P2P. So, sometimes the game closed if the Host leaves the Game, but its not a big problem. It's a good game. 10/10. Hope to see more, hope that kojima or s.o.e will make a new MG in the next years, it would be really cool. Expand
  94. Nov 11, 2015
    One of the best games I have ever played. The marriage between gameplay and storyline is simply spectacular. Plus, the incorporation of 80's music sets the perfect tone for the mood of the game.
    Furthermore, this game has an insane replayability value. You can complete a single mission a dozen of ways.
    As always, Hideo Kojima is known for his story narration. I guarantee you, this game is no different. So much plot twist, drama and tension, making this the perfect GOTY.
  95. Nov 19, 2015
    MGS V is, undoubtedly, the best game (to me) that I have played so far on my Xbox One. The great thing is that if you have not played any of the MGS titles before, you can jump into this world without being lost; while seasoned MGS players will be rewarded with little nods to the past (I.E. shipping yourself around the map in a cardboard box). Truely, this game should not be MGS V, as itMGS V is, undoubtedly, the best game (to me) that I have played so far on my Xbox One. The great thing is that if you have not played any of the MGS titles before, you can jump into this world without being lost; while seasoned MGS players will be rewarded with little nods to the past (I.E. shipping yourself around the map in a cardboard box). Truely, this game should not be MGS V, as it does not "feel" like a follow up in the story lines of 1-4, but rather it exists - beautifully - in its own world

The bad:

The story line is too short. I reached the final battle, and it passed, and I was left with a feeling of betrayal that I was cheated out of 10-15 more hours of plot advancement. There are no "mini-bosses" really to get to the end, and the final battle is flat.

The good:

Once I finished the main story, I began to explore the FOB missions, which are a great add on, and MGS online which shows promise. I just wish resources and grinding on these fronts had an impact on the main game. It feels like a self-serving endeavor at the end, without a plot advancement reason to keep me coming back.

While I am sure that it is unlikely, this is a game which deserves some DLC in the context of additional, story driven, missions. The world you can travel through is just too expansive, the side intricacies of building and staffing a mother base and FOBs are just too detailed, to not warrant some additional plot lines.
  96. Nov 27, 2015
    Great game! Overall, good game play, good story, interesting characters, good graphics, Well, kinds being lazy writing one good review because of how epic it is. Just buy the game and it'll make you happy. But the thing I don't like is that most of the objectives are in the same maps.
  97. Nov 30, 2015
    The game to start is an incredible achievement achieve play a playstation3 as was in my case probably spend minimum 60h and do not hit 70% of the game this means you have a lot of content to offer but that fact may be bad for people not very accustomed to spending too much time in a game that was practically campaign recently (not saying it's bad in fact is the main point) is also anotherThe game to start is an incredible achievement achieve play a playstation3 as was in my case probably spend minimum 60h and do not hit 70% of the game this means you have a lot of content to offer but that fact may be bad for people not very accustomed to spending too much time in a game that was practically campaign recently (not saying it's bad in fact is the main point) is also another factor to add is the endless possibilities you have to perform missions which're getting by progress in the game which can become his novel while the power to invade other players bases which for me was a great touch and multiplayer that fails to be a big deal but it serves to hang out and maybe play it and enjoy it with friends, all the above is almost positive but as every game has its negative aspects one example is the mission extremely personally I finished not please a sniper kill you with one stone (so It would be normal so was) but earlier in the game is not so therefore get to get used and it is quite frustrating at the point of these missions another point against the serious game monotonous secondary missions that usually is seen rescues such place or such person which is understood by the fact that they are secondary missions, after all this can come to a conclusion that this game can spend a lot of time and be entertained from my point of view clear history leaves aside nothing to be desired as it resumes after the previous delivery was MGS Ground Zereos and also is a good game to join the saga as it includes a method for counting all of the above happened in MGS. Expand
  98. Feb 11, 2020
    J'ai comme l'impression que la série Metal Gear progresse à chaque épisode mais qu'à chaque pas en avant, elle en fait deux en arrière... Ainsi dans ce Metal truc numéro 5, les mécaniques de base comme l'infiltration ou le combat semblent fonctionner... mais rien ne fonctionne correctement en fait ! car tout est bancal d'une manière ou d'une autre...

Les gars qui se réveillent au bout

Les gars qui se réveillent au bout de 2 mn par exemple... 2 mn après les avoir assommés...? on a jamais vu "ça" ailleurs, c'est du délire ou juste de la connerie à l'état pur ? le combat est complètement foireux, imprécis, épouvantable... et surtout pour le maniement pensé en dépit du bon sens le plus élémentaire : changer de flingue peut-être ? ah non, là c'est la boîte en carton ! utiliser un gadget ? ah non, là c'est le pistolet... accélérer le temps (avec un cigare ?!) oui mais comment l'arrêter ? il fait tout le tour du cadran, putain !

De toute façon, que penser d'un jeu qui permet d'évacuer les gens avec... des ballons ? ou de se promener dans une boîte en carton (?!) qui se dégrade en 30 s chrono (?!)... que penser de cette espèce de scénario complètement fumé et foutraque et de ce bal des éclopés ? de cette bombasse en string qui ne dit jamais un mot ? (c'est une soldate, paraît-il...).

De toute manière, toutes les missions (secondaires en tout cas) se ressemblent et consistent à exfiltrer des otages qu'on trouve... une fois sur trois. Et encore. On se demande s'ils sont là mais il paraît qu'on les trimbale d'un bout à l'autre du camp ou de la base... euh mais lol ? c'est là qu'il faut rire (jaune) ?

Bon, je pourrais encore continuer longtemps comme ça mais je me lasse déjà... comme le farmage de missions à n'en plus finir ou le ramassage de plantes et autres "ressources" afin de "développer" la base... Cela dit, il faut reconnaître que ça reste très joli et que ça tourne à 60 im/s, alors techniquement, c'est du beau boulot, si, si. Si seulement c'était un vrai jeu... mais non, ça ne risque pas !
  99. Nov 11, 2017
    This game flew under my radar after it’s release. Until they pushed that prequel trial on xboxlive for free. So glad I found that, because MG V was one of the best gaming experiences i’ve had to date.

Immersion is always key for me with these single player shooters. Metal Gear has a history of pulling you in, making you physically nervous about guard patrols, being spotted etc. Once again the franchise was true to it’s roots, creating an atmosphere ideal for stealth play but still optional. Key to surving a stealth approach is the return of the MG quick reaction time, a brief period of slow motion reflex time after being spotted in which you have the opportunity to neutrolize the threat before his discovery of you can be announced. While it’s possible to charge in weapons hot, you’ll do much better to take your time, tag enemies and properly plan entry/exit. The fulton device used to extract material, crew, weapons was really fun to use. In fact, building crew for home base was one of my favoirte non mission activities.

Building your weapons and supplies is relient on your progress and ability of base facilties. It was nice to be able to look up any gun you wanted and see what you needed to do to get it. Also, the cooler stuff requires real time to develop, another aspect that helps immerse you into the story.

The realizm was, at the time of it’s release in 2015, absolute tier 1. From being able to wait out guards changing from AM/PM rotation, to using weather to mask your approach, Metal Gear is absolutely the “tactical espionage” adventure it claims to be.

Gripes: I don’t have many, but difficulty would be one. Avoiding spoilers, there are these “Phantom” like ememies you confront on a few occasions that are excrutiatingly difficult to pass or beat. I think I found myself on YouTube looking up the “how to beat” for each time I crossed them. In keeping with the story, you are forced to return to base pretty often for a variety of reasons, this sometimes interupted my flow of missions and could be a tad of an annoyance. Oh, and if you buddy up with Silent the sniper, her whistling can make you want to punch a bird after a while.

Overall, MG V was a fantastic game to play through and takes a pleasingly long time to complete.
  100. Nov 17, 2019
    Best game ever we want more metal gear perhaps reboot MGS1 on Xbox one Kojima help us we want more games from you.

Universal acclaim - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 30, 2015
    With The Phantom Pain, Metal Gear has had its arm removed and replaced with something technically far more impressive.
  2. Sep 19, 2015
    Kojima managed to create the perfect open-world stealth game, giving the player an incredible freedom coupled with great depth and variety. MGS fans will probably dislike its sparse and somewhat unsatisfying storytelling, but it undoubtedly is a masterwork of game design.
  3. Sep 13, 2015
    Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain is an interactive piece of art that truly pays homage to the original game and successfully expands the franchise into an open-world game.