3.3

1. May 23, 2020
    The Persistence is a First-Person Rouge-Like Sci-Fi Horror Adventure. This game was originally designed for VR, but the port to console is still an impressive experience. You play as Zimri, well at least a clone of him, aboard the colony ship Persistence. The ship is damaged, systems are malfunctioning, theres a Black Hole outside, and the cloning machines are filling the ship withThe Persistence is a First-Person Rouge-Like Sci-Fi Horror Adventure. This game was originally designed for VR, but the port to console is still an impressive experience. You play as Zimri, well at least a clone of him, aboard the colony ship Persistence. The ship is damaged, systems are malfunctioning, theres a Black Hole outside, and the cloning machines are filling the ship with horrible mutations. So, with the guiding help of the only other survivor Serena. The Persistence has an interesting feature, it can rearrange its deck configuration, but the malfunctions have caused it to do so everytime a teleporter or your cloning bay are used, So every time you Teleport to a deck, or die the map changes. You will be tasked with repairing the ships four levels, and escaping the Black Hole. To do this you will use a varied arsenal to dispatch of your foes, and strenghten your clones. You'll collect stimulus cells from enemies and canisters around the ship, and use these to upgrade your clones. FAB chips are used to fabricate new weapons or tools. You can even store dark matter to be used as a short range teleportation. Overall the experience is well worth taking, though I see how it would be a smash VR game. For those of you who love the edge of your seat, The Persistence is a phenomenal game, check it out! Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. May 28, 2020
    Being a fan of horror and not a huge fan of rouge-like, I can attest that there’s something special about The Persistence. It’s a weird combination of genres. Sci-fi horror, virtual reality, and rogue-like. However it’s blended extremely well, even without being able to experience it in VR. It’s something you really have to play enough to enjoy. You might not like the first hour or two, but eventually it will grow on you as your character grows in power. After that it’s always “just one more try”. Overall the whole experience might take you around 15 or so hours to complete. With futuristic technology, scary mutants, and sound effects that will raise the hair on your neck, one can’t ask for much more.
  2. May 22, 2020
    Here is where I’ll show my VR snobbery and say that while the graphical fidelity of this version of the game is superior to the PSVR version, the 2D version of the game cannot capture the sense of dread and isolation that the PSVR version has. Still, this version of the game does have enough depth, strategy, and replayability to make it a solid, worthwhile addition to your game library. The characters are engaging and The Persistence provides the proper mood and incentives that make you want to succeed.
  3. May 21, 2020
    After playing The Persistence on Xbox One I’m sort of disappointed I skipped it on PlayStation VR. The game is really well done and is built in a way that every small step helps; even if I die on a level, as long as I have collected something my time is not wasted. I’m fairly open that horror games are sort of a new passion of mine and I really liked the atmosphere in this game and a big part of that is how good the enemy AI is. There is a lot to like in this game as long as randomized gameplay (rogue light elements) are not a turn off. The Persistence is definitely one of the best rogue light experiences I have played in quite some time and I will likely go back and try the VR origins of this title.