7.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Sep 27, 2020
    The good: The remastered graphics are perfect, the gameplay is smooth, the audio/soundtrack is perfect for the series. The challenges are honestly a positive. People have stated how the challenges are too many but for this type of game, it's just so much extra free content that will satisfy almost every true gamer. It's almost like doing the extra story mode challenges in THUG andThe good: The remastered graphics are perfect, the gameplay is smooth, the audio/soundtrack is perfect for the series. The challenges are honestly a positive. People have stated how the challenges are too many but for this type of game, it's just so much extra free content that will satisfy almost every true gamer. It's almost like doing the extra story mode challenges in THUG and Wasteland.
    The bad: I'm not a big fan of not being able to get off the skateboard, the multiplayer is a bit clunky (so far, an update could fix that), the amount of secret skaters isn't really all that great either.

This game is a must play for any fan of the Tony Hawk series and honestly deserves to be in a list of top 5 games of 2020.
  2. Sep 7, 2020
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 are perfect remasters that affectionately remind us of the originals. Keeping the amazing soundtrack from the late 90's, early 2000's while adding a variety of songs ranging from the 80's until today, it gives that connection for all generations of players. The gameplay keeps the fun flowing style, emulating the feel of the originals.

It is a must play for

It is a must play for fans of the original 2 games and gets fans of the franchise excited about what the future has in store after the disappointment of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5. The only downfall for the game is the limited online multiplayer on offer. Other than being picky about the multiplayer options, it is flawless in every sense of the word, the game is a must buy!
  3. Sep 12, 2020
    Brings back so many good memories. This is such an awesome game. Well worth the regular price.
  4. Sep 20, 2020
    Still great after all this years but covered whit current gen visuals and modern presentation.
  5. Sep 6, 2020
    Ohhh I have waited since thps4 for a good tony hawk game! And this is a very very good remake! Thank you very much developer ❤️
  6. BLG
    Apr 3, 2021
    Nostalgia is a tricky thing. It can drastically skew your perception of history, but it can also create a deep sense of comfort. For someone like myself, who grew up in the 90s, it’s impossible to review this game without some nostalgic biases, but consider it an extremely high level of praise when I say that Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 lives up to every ounce of nostalgia I had for it.Nostalgia is a tricky thing. It can drastically skew your perception of history, but it can also create a deep sense of comfort. For someone like myself, who grew up in the 90s, it’s impossible to review this game without some nostalgic biases, but consider it an extremely high level of praise when I say that Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 lives up to every ounce of nostalgia I had for it. This is the part where I ask that you turn on Superman by Goldfinger and listen along while you read this review. I’m serious. Turn it on now. Let that beautiful ska saxophone fill your ear holes.
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 perfectly recreates the feeling I had when I played the originals 20 years ago and that is no small feat. Remarkably, Vicarious Visions was able to preserve all of the good content from the originals while elevating areas that needed it. Consuming content you loved as a child in adulthood is a dangerous game to play. More often than not, familiar films and games do not stand the test of time. I’m looking at you Batman Forever. THPS 1 + 2 doesn’t just throw a fresh coat of paint on the game we loved from the '90’s, though it is absolutely gorgeous, it’s a full remake of the levels we thrashed and the characters we crashed.
    The gameplay is exactly as you remember it. Drop into a level for a two minute arcade session where you need to hit the high scores, collect S-K-A-T-E, “Ollie the magic bum,” and many more challenges you fondly remember. Depending on your skill level, the first two games' original challenges can be completed in a weekend, but Vicarious Visions created even more challenges for players to accomplish. These new challenges unlock cosmetics for your create-a-skater and objects for your create-a-park. I can firmly say that the content in this game far exceeds the $40 price tag. If you’re the competitive type, there is a handful of fun online and local multiplayer modes that can be enjoyed for hours.

Tony Hawk games, especially the first two, resonate with a wide range of people. You never had to be good at skating or even own a skateboard to enjoy these games. Our recent podcast review discussed how THPS 1 + 2 is a great equalizer for a diverse gaming audience. There is a wide range of content for all ages in this iteration of the game. Not many games can pull in hardcore combo magicians while also providing a fun experience for less advanced players. Tony Hawk is for everyone and that should be celebrated.

The music of Tony Hawk has shaped the taste of generations of gamers and I am happy to report that this strength is preserved in THPS 1 + 2. The majority of the songs you loved from the originals make their return, but Vicarious Visions played with fire and significantly expanded the music library. This could have easily backfired since the original soundtrack is so beloved by fans, but it is clear that they put in extreme care when selecting new songs. This new collection of songs results in the ultimate skateboarding soundtrack.
    These new additions excel at preserving the original soundtrack's roots while bringing it forward into 2020. In a Variety interview, senior sound designer at Vicarious Visions, Justin Joyner, goes into great detail on the research performed to select the right songs for THPS 1 + 2. This curation was done so well that I have a hard time telling what's a new song and whats old because the whole soundtrack feels homogenous with what I experienced as a kid. The music in this game cannot be praised enough for the nostalgia that it invokes and how it creates the skating vibe we so fondly remember in Tony Hawk games.
    This game was incredibly difficult to score due to my admitted biases and my love for the genre. Vicarious Visions was able to masterfully elevate the gameplay and visuals to recreate the game I loved as a child. THPS 1 + 2 magically took me back to a simpler time where we still had optimism for the Star Wars prequels and Destiny’s Child was still together. My hope for this game is that it doesn’t just resonate with the old fogies like myself, but that it can find a new generation of wannabe skaters. It is clear that the two minute arcade sessions were pivotal to preserving the structure of the original game, but this play style can become stale for a generation not familiar with the arcade skateboarding genre. I believe that Vicarious Visions elevated THPS 1 + 2 as high as they could using the original's aged structure. This is a game that I recommend to everyone, as I would love to see this genre make a triumphant return. Busch League Gaming gives Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 an 8.5 out of 10.

For our full podcast review, visit https://www.buschleaguegaming.com/podcast/tonyhawksproskater.
  7. Jul 15, 2021
    Gameplay : 9/10
    Design (video + audio) : 8/10
    Story : -
    Technical aspects : 8/10
    Repeatability: 9/10
  8. Sep 7, 2020
    This is how you do a remake. Absolutely true to the original. Fantastic gameplay, fantastic graphics, great soundtrack. Love it.

One thing though, where's the blood?
  9. Sep 11, 2020
    Better than it's ever been with great additions and fresh level treatments. Don't do drugs!
  10. Jul 29, 2021
    Tony Hawk's is back so now is AMAZING

Amazing game is one of the best remakes in gaming history and one of the best skateboarding games ever made. The classics are back only adapted to the new graphics and more modern gameplays, and it works, even being a reamake you can feel at the same time the classic and have fun with the new contents and mechanics of flip, grab, and other
    Tony Hawk's is back so now is AMAZING

The classics are back only adapted to the new graphics and more modern gameplays, and it works, even being a reamake you can feel at the same time the classic and have fun with the new contents and mechanics of flip, grab, and other tricks. It's well built, and it's even worth trying to play. The graphics are great, well modeled and very few bugs, many different characters but unfortunately it doesn't have the spiderman.

The game style is ARCADE, with lots of combos and adapted physics. It's not the skate franchise style that is simulator.
  11. Sep 6, 2020
    Xbox One X

Finally a good Tony Hawk game after so many years! I have to say both Resident Evil 2 and 3 disappointed me a lot as Remakes so I was little worried about this one, but it's good! I wish I could say it's perfect but unfortunately it's not...at least for me as an old fan. My issues is with the sounds, everytime you bail the song fades away until you fill your special bar
    Xbox One X

My issues is with the sounds, everytime you bail the song fades away until you fill your special bar again...that is unnecessary and kinda bothers me, the new songs included on the soundtrack does not fit the game at all!! They're not remarkable like the old ones!!! More selection of the 90's would be appreciated!! And because of that, I find myself playing with the old soundtracks and I really miss the 2 missing songs from THPS 2: B-Boy Document 99 and Out With The Old, I know for some ain't a big deal, but these 2 really was my top stuff back in the days, praying for them to come back!!

I like all of the stages, they nailed it!! With the very exception of Venice of Tony Hawk 2, on the originals the weather was more of a clear day, in the Remake is kind of a Sunset now and it feels a bit different.

The customization is kinda poor in my honest opinion, there should be more tattoos, more items for female characters like some punk dresses. You can't even put glasses in your character for now..... but the skate items, decks, wheels are looking good tho.

The multiplayer feels empty atm, the current modes gets repetitive really fast and there's no free skate mode, at least for now. The Career is basically the same of the old ones, it's very fun but after you finish the goals there's isn't much to do besides the challenges, I like doing speedruns and looking for stats tho it's fun! the game's replayability will depend on your liking and if you're old fan or not.

In overall If you're new and wants to dig the franchise be my guest! I'm 100% sure you'll like It! If you're an old fan like me I would recommend watching different reviews (From small channels, not the big ones!) The Remake is good, it really is! but I feel it lacks content right now, nothing that some future updates can solve!
  12. Sep 8, 2020
    This game is brilliant from top to bottom. I’ve missed skateboarding games, I’ve missed Tony Hawk being good and I have missed the fun of stringing together the most absurd combos. I have everything crossed that Tony Hawk’s Underground gets this treatment because that would be pure perfection. I love the replayability of this game. I’ve played through each of the stages 4 times at thisThis game is brilliant from top to bottom. I’ve missed skateboarding games, I’ve missed Tony Hawk being good and I have missed the fun of stringing together the most absurd combos. I have everything crossed that Tony Hawk’s Underground gets this treatment because that would be pure perfection. I love the replayability of this game. I’ve played through each of the stages 4 times at this point, with two created skaters & two pros. I’ve enjoyed unlocking secrets and getting skater videos after collecting all the stat points for them. It’s a much needed hit of nostalgia in such a crappy year but it’s not just a remake of a game, it’s a game that plays how you think it played all those years ago which is the true testament to a remaster/remake. Do yourself a favour and buy it. P.S the soundtrack is absolute fire Expand
  13. Sep 20, 2020
    This game is perfect. Have not encountered any bugs. The customisation could be better but scoring a 10 because I enjoy the game so much. Just as I remember the original. Well done to VV please keep this level of quality coming and i’ll pre-order more often.
  14. Sep 27, 2020
    One of the best remastered games to date. I can’t stop playing it. Takes me back to the good old days
  15. Sep 14, 2020
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 remastered is similar to most sports games are photorealistic simulations. When you start up the newest NBA2K1 or PGA Tour 2K21, you’re tasked with advancing the profile of your young pro-potential athlete through a series of events and crucial decisions. Success in PGA Tour 2K21 is a matter of precision, solid club choices, and upgrading gear. This wasn’tTony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 remastered is similar to most sports games are photorealistic simulations. When you start up the newest NBA2K1 or PGA Tour 2K21, you’re tasked with advancing the profile of your young pro-potential athlete through a series of events and crucial decisions. Success in PGA Tour 2K21 is a matter of precision, solid club choices, and upgrading gear. This wasn’t always the case. Sports games got weird and surreal toward the end of the late 80s and early 90s, as the tech moved beyond the choppy simplicity of weaker home consoles. At the tail end of the 1990s, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater revolutionized gaming. It didn’t have rules. The goal was to explore your surroundings and score through a series of guided point and collection challenges. The field was the real world. Tony Hawk encouraged the player to think like a skater by placing them in a seemingly benign setting, like a sprawling school campus or a shopping mall interior, and inviting them to see how everything connects, to find a secondary utility in fences, stairs, and fountains. Each level is a puzzle. Each line is a freestyle. So, after its release in late 1999, Pro Skater quickly took off, eclipsing contemporary skate titles like Thrasher’s Skate and Destroy and EA’s Street Skater thanks to the involvement of Hawk as a consultant and a playable character. He gave the game star power, more refined movement, and a selection of real-life professional skateboarders the competition at the time couldn’t muster. It was a much-needed hit for Neversoft, an upstart developer on its last financial stands at the time which would parlay its success with the Pro Skater series into continued renown with their other staples), for publisher Activision, and for Hawk, who quickly became a household name, as much for personal achievements as for the smash hit carrying his name. Hawk reminisced about the moment he knew he’d changed the game: It reached the tipping point when the fourth game was released, and the previous three were still in the top ten in sales. At one point, we had four of the top ten best-selling video games al at one time. After the first entry, Pro Skater followed the path of every ambitious and critically acclaimed sports title: It became a franchise. The early sequels were slick refinements of the original premise, adding new mechanics, increasingly elaborate levels, online features, and career stories to the already airtight gameplay. But the need to keep retooling a game that wasn’t broken in the first place eventually cost the series some of its luster. Later entries and spinoffs hit sour notes with reviewers for bugs and clunky peripherals that hampered gameplay. “[The game] defined a generation,” Hawk said, but “it was hard to keep reinventing the wheel.” It seemed like skating games were on the way out over the last decade, as the wait for news of a sequel to Electronic Arts’s beloved Skate 3 stretched out into a ten-year journey, and development on Pro Skater 5 stumbled, racing against the clock to make it out before Hawk and Activision’s contract ended. Recent titles like open-world extreme sports game Steep and this summer’s Skater XL restored a glimmer of the feeling, but Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 truly feels like a rebirth of the series we all s fondly remember to this date. The idea to revisit the early games is a treat for fans and newcomers alike. If you have the opportunity to pick this combo up for your Xbox One old pro or rookie to the franchise you won't go away disappointed. Just typing this review reminds me of all the crazy hours I dumbed into the many skating franchises over the decades. Ahh Nostalgia is great! Expand
  16. Sep 5, 2020
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater is back with a bang! As a kid, i absolutely adored these games. Then slowly over time, they declined massively. The last installment is absolutely awful. It was a real shame.

But vicarious visions have done an amazing job with this remaster. It feels and plays exactly like the originals, but with great new graphics, added features like challenges and speed runs and online multiplayer. If you like the originals, it's a must buy. If you've never played them, pick this up and get ready for some amazing arcade skating fun.
  17. Sep 6, 2020
    Its a nostalgic purchase and thats it, $55 were I'm from and for the standard edition for two ps1 games.. no store, dlc or anything in that nature.. meanwhile I'll play on my PSClassic and if I miss the music so bad you can use Spotify to create the list.. even when gaming on any game with modern day consoles. I'd pick it up for £20+ on sale.
  18. Mar 26, 2021
    It’s pretty crappy when you buy this game new on disc and they won’t even let you purchase an upgrade. I don’t care how good a game that deserves a 0 rating. People need to stop supporting trashy companies like this dev and publisher.
  19. Sep 5, 2020
    The Tony Hawk game I've been craving for years. Beautiful new graphics with the classic fluid gameplay and some new great QoL improvements make this game is an absolute blast! Tons of offline replay-ability and haven't even touched the online or park creator yet. Thank you so much Vicarious Visions for your hard work!
  20. Sep 6, 2020
    O jogo está incrível, me fez voltar no tempo de quando jogava o pro skater 2 quando era moleque, finalmente acertaram nesse remake...
  21. Apr 14, 2021
    An overrated sack of crap which actively stains the legacy of the original games - the fact that it has less content than a game made 20 years ago really says something about the state of this game
  22. Sep 6, 2020
    Everything about this game is perfection. The nostalgia is there but the gameplay is tight and the game runs incredibly smoothly. It's just an absolute blast to play. A must buy for any Tony Hawk fan.
  23. Sep 5, 2020
    This is everything I expected it to be and more... The gameplay is pretty much as perfect as it could get for being a Tony Hawk game. The graphics are phenomenal and game performance is ultra smooth. Vicarious Visions did a great job at keeping it true to the original games while adding a ton of extra unlockables and a great music playlist. This game truly has a little something forThis is everything I expected it to be and more... The gameplay is pretty much as perfect as it could get for being a Tony Hawk game. The graphics are phenomenal and game performance is ultra smooth. Vicarious Visions did a great job at keeping it true to the original games while adding a ton of extra unlockables and a great music playlist. This game truly has a little something for everybody in terms of customization, music, and options to assist new players. They've also added a very extensive create a park mode with online functionality to upload and share your creations with others. My only complaint is the lack of face customization on the create a character. But with the amount of apparel and equipment customization it kind of cancels it out. If you are a fan of the originals this is a must have. And for any newcomers curious about what gaming in the 90's was like, you won't be disappointed. The core experience is better than it has ever been for the entire Tony Hawk franchise. I hope they choose to remake some of the newer ones like 3,4 and the underground series. Because I will gladly play those again in all the remastered glory that Vicarious Visions is capable of providing Expand
  24. Nov 9, 2020
    Talk about bringing you back! THPS is exactly what we needed during the pandemic. Jumped in with my wife that also played growing up and it was for me like picking up where I left off. Many of the games played as a child you likely have outgrown but this game to me has the nostalgic feel and had me equally excited as an adult. I wont buy another skater game because this game is all thatTalk about bringing you back! THPS is exactly what we needed during the pandemic. Jumped in with my wife that also played growing up and it was for me like picking up where I left off. Many of the games played as a child you likely have outgrown but this game to me has the nostalgic feel and had me equally excited as an adult. I wont buy another skater game because this game is all that you need. What's lacking is more customization, menus are to me not as simple as they could be and an online skate park would be ideal. With technology today there isn't a reason that we can't have a city to conquer on our boards with 50-100+ players in the same town. I have not played through all of the modes only versus so there is more I'm sure to explore but for now competing against my wife for the high score is more than enough fun to warranty an 8-9 score rating. Expand
  25. Sep 6, 2020
    **For a summary, see the end**

**For a summary, see the end**

I've anticipated this game since I heard it was being made. Like most players, I spent a TON of time in the originals. The game is a significantly well made remake of the originals, for single player. The level tasks remain as I remember them, the combos are still insane and the game plays basically exactly as I remember it. The button system (as opposed to the stick flicking system of other recent skate games) is a huge nostalgic bring back to the start of the 3D skate boarding video games.

The game for an experienced THPS player, with a good memory, can be "beat" in a few hours. Personally, it took me about 6-8 hours of game play on the single player tour mode to complete all the challenges for both games, however, there are a lot of extra challenges and other unlock-able things to do to keep you going back to play. Single players and completionists will have a lot of time they can spend in this game doing the extra things. Overall, if you plan on playing solo, this part of the game is an easy 10 on 10.

However, there is one downside. The multiplayer. Online games are essentially random levels, with 5 different game modes (Graffiti, 2 combo games and 2 score games). Play each mode on the level, then onto the next random level. You have to play the online 8 person game mode. you CAN party up and play with friends, but the game will always try to fill the remaining spots. You can't play privately online with your friends. You can't choose the game mode, so no Horse or even free skate. Also, the scores for the Combo Challenge and Score Challenge games in online are really small (100k for combo, 150k for score), Any experienced player can bump these out in seconds. The "competitive" mode is only a slight increase to these scores. Of course, there is also a "couch" or local play mode. This allows you to choose the level and game style, however, this is only for people playing on the SAME CONSOLE. If you are partied up, and choose this, it will tell you you can not do this in a party, and therefore, can not play this game mode with friends over the internet. On top of that, to play split screen there is no "Guest" mode. You need to have another profile on your console to be P2, which is just a pain in the rear if you don't have one already. Overall, the online play is disappointing, if it had more options for playing with your friends and freedoms to choose, it would be great.

Finally, there isn't as much character customization options as I had hopped for, for the create a skater part. But it is sufficient.

**SUMMARY**

Pros:
    - Great remake
    - Feels Awesome
    - Single Player is borderline PERFECT
    - Lot's of single player extras to keep you playing
    - Sound Track is literally amazing
    - 2 games in 1 technically.
    - Plays well, controls well, and no major bugs or issues.
    - Scores and leader-boards to prove that you are better or worse than your friends

Cons:
    - Online multiplayer is lacking content that I feel a lot of people would want.
    - Local play is a little visually buggy and a bit of a pain to play if you aren't setup for it already.
    - Character customization doesn't have as many options as some people would expect

Over all, the single player is a 10 on 10
    The multiplayer I'm giving a 4 on 10

TOTAL 14 on 20 (7 on 10)
  26. Sep 6, 2020
    AMAZING !!! from now on companies need to think hard before making a remake or game remaster ... Activision has raised the bar in quality.
  27. Sep 6, 2020
    This game takes me back. When the title screen appeared and Goldfinger started playing I was transformed into a 17 year old again. The graphics updates are great, as well as the multi-player modes. The gameplay is just as I remember it and feels quite smooth and fun to play.This game is as addicting as ever and replay value remains strong.
  28. Sep 29, 2020
    Nice in terms of graphics. Good gameplay. But the game currency is not very well done.
  29. Oct 2, 2020
    This is the game I've been waiting for all my life. Upon seeing the release trailer, I was skeptical due to being scarred by the horrible recent "efforts" to revitalize this franchise but as soon as I got my hands on the demo, I knew we were in good hands. Vicarious Visions replaces the late Neversoft this time, which is the best option Activision could have chose. VV did all the portableThis is the game I've been waiting for all my life. Upon seeing the release trailer, I was skeptical due to being scarred by the horrible recent "efforts" to revitalize this franchise but as soon as I got my hands on the demo, I knew we were in good hands. Vicarious Visions replaces the late Neversoft this time, which is the best option Activision could have chose. VV did all the portable versions of the Tony Hawk games that are worth talking about, I'm pretty sure they've developed more Tony Hawk games than Neversoft even has.

The game features all the levels from the first two THPS games in stunning HD graphics as well as the entire roster of skaters from those games. They've also added a new generation of skaters to inspire a new generation of kids to pick up a skateboard. Another addition is mechanics from later Tony Hawk games such as reverts from Tony 3 and wallplants from Underground. Without these additions, the game would not be nearly as fun in my opinion. I'm a fan of the big combos and fast paced gameplay of the later games and this game adds almost everything I want without adding the unnecessary mechanics of the even later games. It also has the option to use the movesets from the first 2 games if you aren't quite used to the insanely fast nature of the later games. I personally have improved my gameplay with this game more than I have in years. I'm finally able to pull off 10+ million combos with relative ease when back in the day, I really wasn't any good. I'm finally starting to take my skills seriously after 16 years of playing this franchise. There's also a create a park mode which is limited in some aspects but has undeniably resulted in some of the best created parks I've ever seen. I think it's the height of this mode for the entire franchise. Just please add create a goal, VV! I have some issues with the game like the lack of ability to get off your board, the limited online mode (which is said to be patched with more features soon) and the somewhat limited create a skater mode. If that online issue is fixed, I could see myself raising the score of this game even higher and seeing it as the definitive THPS game. I'd also love to see the THPS 3 levels added with a DLC pack, that would make this game maaaybe the best Tony Hawk game in my eyes. I love Underground so much but I see some great potential here.

It's that good. Without a doubt my game of the year and possibly my game of this entire generation of consoles. I beat this game in September of 2020.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 25, 2020
    The Tony Hawk series was never about realism, and whether they’re old enough to have nostalgia for it or not, Pro Skater 1+2 is a fantastic remake offering intuitive and massively enjoyable gameplay that deserves any skate fan’s attention.
  2. Oct 9, 2020
    This is what we need with a game so called 'remake'. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater does everything that made the original 2 games outstanding, and improves them in every single way, making this offer even more than that it once was. You can start with the new graphics, the improved soundtrack or its excellent gameplay. Perfect for those who played the original games, but also great for a new audience.
  3. Oct 9, 2020
    Activision have continued their revival of 'old-meets-new' with the latest Tony Hawk instalment. For all intents and purposes, it retains the charm and thrills from the original while adding on new quality of life bells and whistles. It hits the nostalgia notes whilst also completely revamping the stages, soundtrack, player models and almost everything else imaginable. This is now the definitive method to enjoy the first two games in this iconic franchise.