8.6

1. Sep 14, 2020
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 remastered is similar to most sports games are photorealistic simulations. When you start up the newest NBA2K1 or PGA Tour 2K21, you’re tasked with advancing the profile of your young pro-potential athlete through a series of events and crucial decisions. Success in PGA Tour 2K21 is a matter of precision, solid club choices, and upgrading gear. This wasn’tTony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 remastered is similar to most sports games are photorealistic simulations. When you start up the newest NBA2K1 or PGA Tour 2K21, you’re tasked with advancing the profile of your young pro-potential athlete through a series of events and crucial decisions. Success in PGA Tour 2K21 is a matter of precision, solid club choices, and upgrading gear. This wasn’t always the case. Sports games got weird and surreal toward the end of the late 80s and early 90s, as the tech moved beyond the choppy simplicity of weaker home consoles. At the tail end of the 1990s, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater revolutionized gaming. It didn’t have rules. The goal was to explore your surroundings and score through a series of guided point and collection challenges. The field was the real world. Tony Hawk encouraged the player to think like a skater by placing them in a seemingly benign setting, like a sprawling school campus or a shopping mall interior, and inviting them to see how everything connects, to find a secondary utility in fences, stairs, and fountains. Each level is a puzzle. Each line is a freestyle. So, after its release in late 1999, Pro Skater quickly took off, eclipsing contemporary skate titles like Thrasher’s Skate and Destroy and EA’s Street Skater thanks to the involvement of Hawk as a consultant and a playable character. He gave the game star power, more refined movement, and a selection of real-life professional skateboarders the competition at the time couldn’t muster. It was a much-needed hit for Neversoft, an upstart developer on its last financial stands at the time which would parlay its success with the Pro Skater series into continued renown with their other staples), for publisher Activision, and for Hawk, who quickly became a household name, as much for personal achievements as for the smash hit carrying his name. Hawk reminisced about the moment he knew he’d changed the game: It reached the tipping point when the fourth game was released, and the previous three were still in the top ten in sales. At one point, we had four of the top ten best-selling video games al at one time. After the first entry, Pro Skater followed the path of every ambitious and critically acclaimed sports title: It became a franchise. The early sequels were slick refinements of the original premise, adding new mechanics, increasingly elaborate levels, online features, and career stories to the already airtight gameplay. But the need to keep retooling a game that wasn’t broken in the first place eventually cost the series some of its luster. Later entries and spinoffs hit sour notes with reviewers for bugs and clunky peripherals that hampered gameplay. “[The game] defined a generation,” Hawk said, but “it was hard to keep reinventing the wheel.” It seemed like skating games were on the way out over the last decade, as the wait for news of a sequel to Electronic Arts’s beloved Skate 3 stretched out into a ten-year journey, and development on Pro Skater 5 stumbled, racing against the clock to make it out before Hawk and Activision’s contract ended. Recent titles like open-world extreme sports game Steep and this summer’s Skater XL restored a glimmer of the feeling, but Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 truly feels like a rebirth of the series we all s fondly remember to this date. The idea to revisit the early games is a treat for fans and newcomers alike. If you have the opportunity to pick this combo up for your Xbox One old pro or rookie to the franchise you won't go away disappointed. Just typing this review reminds me of all the crazy hours I dumbed into the many skating franchises over the decades. Ahh Nostalgia is great! Expand
  2. Sep 5, 2020
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater is back with a bang! As a kid, i absolutely adored these games. Then slowly over time, they declined massively. The last installment is absolutely awful. It was a real shame.

But vicarious visions have done an amazing job with this remaster. It feels and plays exactly like the originals, but with great new graphics, added features like challenges and speed runs and online multiplayer. If you like the originals, it's a must buy. If you've never played them, pick this up and get ready for some amazing arcade skating fun.
  3. Sep 6, 2020
    Its a nostalgic purchase and thats it, $55 were I'm from and for the standard edition for two ps1 games.. no store, dlc or anything in that nature.. meanwhile I'll play on my PSClassic and if I miss the music so bad you can use Spotify to create the list.. even when gaming on any game with modern day consoles. I'd pick it up for £20+ on sale.
  4. Sep 12, 2020
    Brings back so many good memories. This is such an awesome game. Well worth the regular price.
  5. Sep 5, 2020
    The Tony Hawk game I've been craving for years. Beautiful new graphics with the classic fluid gameplay and some new great QoL improvements make this game is an absolute blast! Tons of offline replay-ability and haven't even touched the online or park creator yet. Thank you so much Vicarious Visions for your hard work!
  6. Sep 6, 2020
    O jogo está incrível, me fez voltar no tempo de quando jogava o pro skater 2 quando era moleque, finalmente acertaram nesse remake...
  7. Sep 7, 2020
    This is how you do a remake. Absolutely true to the original. Fantastic gameplay, fantastic graphics, great soundtrack. Love it.

One thing though, where's the blood?
  8. Sep 6, 2020
    Everything about this game is perfection. The nostalgia is there but the gameplay is tight and the game runs incredibly smoothly. It's just an absolute blast to play. A must buy for any Tony Hawk fan.
  9. Sep 11, 2020
    Better than it's ever been with great additions and fresh level treatments. Don't do drugs!
  10. Sep 20, 2020
    Still great after all this years but covered whit current gen visuals and modern presentation.
  11. Sep 6, 2020
    Xbox One X

Finally a good Tony Hawk game after so many years! I have to say both Resident Evil 2 and 3 disappointed me a lot as Remakes so I was little worried about this one, but it's good! I wish I could say it's perfect but unfortunately it's not...at least for me as an old fan. My issues is with the sounds, everytime you bail the song fades away until you fill your special bar
    Xbox One X

My issues is with the sounds, everytime you bail the song fades away until you fill your special bar again...that is unnecessary and kinda bothers me, the new songs included on the soundtrack does not fit the game at all!! They're not remarkable like the old ones!!! More selection of the 90's would be appreciated!! And because of that, I find myself playing with the old soundtracks and I really miss the 2 missing songs from THPS 2: B-Boy Document 99 and Out With The Old, I know for some ain't a big deal, but these 2 really was my top stuff back in the days, praying for them to come back!!

I like all of the stages, they nailed it!! With the very exception of Venice of Tony Hawk 2, on the originals the weather was more of a clear day, in the Remake is kind of a Sunset now and it feels a bit different.

The customization is kinda poor in my honest opinion, there should be more tattoos, more items for female characters like some punk dresses. You can't even put glasses in your character for now..... but the skate items, decks, wheels are looking good tho.

The multiplayer feels empty atm, the current modes gets repetitive really fast and there's no free skate mode, at least for now. The Career is basically the same of the old ones, it's very fun but after you finish the goals there's isn't much to do besides the challenges, I like doing speedruns and looking for stats tho it's fun! the game's replayability will depend on your liking and if you're old fan or not.

In overall If you're new and wants to dig the franchise be my guest! I'm 100% sure you'll like It! If you're an old fan like me I would recommend watching different reviews (From small channels, not the big ones!) The Remake is good, it really is! but I feel it lacks content right now, nothing that some future updates can solve!
  12. Sep 8, 2020
    This game is brilliant from top to bottom. I’ve missed skateboarding games, I’ve missed Tony Hawk being good and I have missed the fun of stringing together the most absurd combos. I have everything crossed that Tony Hawk’s Underground gets this treatment because that would be pure perfection. I love the replayability of this game. I’ve played through each of the stages 4 times at thisThis game is brilliant from top to bottom. I’ve missed skateboarding games, I’ve missed Tony Hawk being good and I have missed the fun of stringing together the most absurd combos. I have everything crossed that Tony Hawk’s Underground gets this treatment because that would be pure perfection. I love the replayability of this game. I’ve played through each of the stages 4 times at this point, with two created skaters & two pros. I’ve enjoyed unlocking secrets and getting skater videos after collecting all the stat points for them. It’s a much needed hit of nostalgia in such a crappy year but it’s not just a remake of a game, it’s a game that plays how you think it played all those years ago which is the true testament to a remaster/remake. Do yourself a favour and buy it. P.S the soundtrack is absolute fire Expand
  13. Sep 5, 2020
    This is everything I expected it to be and more... The gameplay is pretty much as perfect as it could get for being a Tony Hawk game. The graphics are phenomenal and game performance is ultra smooth. Vicarious Visions did a great job at keeping it true to the original games while adding a ton of extra unlockables and a great music playlist. This game truly has a little something forThis is everything I expected it to be and more... The gameplay is pretty much as perfect as it could get for being a Tony Hawk game. The graphics are phenomenal and game performance is ultra smooth. Vicarious Visions did a great job at keeping it true to the original games while adding a ton of extra unlockables and a great music playlist. This game truly has a little something for everybody in terms of customization, music, and options to assist new players. They've also added a very extensive create a park mode with online functionality to upload and share your creations with others. My only complaint is the lack of face customization on the create a character. But with the amount of apparel and equipment customization it kind of cancels it out. If you are a fan of the originals this is a must have. And for any newcomers curious about what gaming in the 90's was like, you won't be disappointed. The core experience is better than it has ever been for the entire Tony Hawk franchise. I hope they choose to remake some of the newer ones like 3,4 and the underground series. Because I will gladly play those again in all the remastered glory that Vicarious Visions is capable of providing Expand
  14. Sep 6, 2020
    **For a summary, see the end**

**For a summary, see the end**

I've anticipated this game since I heard it was being made. Like most players, I spent a TON of time in the originals. The game is a significantly well made remake of the originals, for single player. The level tasks remain as I remember them, the combos are still insane and the game plays basically exactly as I remember it. The button system (as opposed to the stick flicking system of other recent skate games) is a huge nostalgic bring back to the start of the 3D skate boarding video games.

The game for an experienced THPS player, with a good memory, can be "beat" in a few hours. Personally, it took me about 6-8 hours of game play on the single player tour mode to complete all the challenges for both games, however, there are a lot of extra challenges and other unlock-able things to do to keep you going back to play. Single players and completionists will have a lot of time they can spend in this game doing the extra things. Overall, if you plan on playing solo, this part of the game is an easy 10 on 10.

However, there is one downside. The multiplayer. Online games are essentially random levels, with 5 different game modes (Graffiti, 2 combo games and 2 score games). Play each mode on the level, then onto the next random level. You have to play the online 8 person game mode. you CAN party up and play with friends, but the game will always try to fill the remaining spots. You can't play privately online with your friends. You can't choose the game mode, so no Horse or even free skate. Also, the scores for the Combo Challenge and Score Challenge games in online are really small (100k for combo, 150k for score), Any experienced player can bump these out in seconds. The "competitive" mode is only a slight increase to these scores. Of course, there is also a "couch" or local play mode. This allows you to choose the level and game style, however, this is only for people playing on the SAME CONSOLE. If you are partied up, and choose this, it will tell you you can not do this in a party, and therefore, can not play this game mode with friends over the internet. On top of that, to play split screen there is no "Guest" mode. You need to have another profile on your console to be P2, which is just a pain in the rear if you don't have one already. Overall, the online play is disappointing, if it had more options for playing with your friends and freedoms to choose, it would be great.

Finally, there isn't as much character customization options as I had hopped for, for the create a skater part. But it is sufficient.

**SUMMARY**

Pros:
    - Great remake
    - Feels Awesome
    - Single Player is borderline PERFECT
    - Lot's of single player extras to keep you playing
    - Sound Track is literally amazing
    - 2 games in 1 technically.
    - Plays well, controls well, and no major bugs or issues.
    - Scores and leader-boards to prove that you are better or worse than your friends

Cons:
    - Online multiplayer is lacking content that I feel a lot of people would want.
    - Local play is a little visually buggy and a bit of a pain to play if you aren't setup for it already.
    - Character customization doesn't have as many options as some people would expect

Over all, the single player is a 10 on 10
    The multiplayer I'm giving a 4 on 10

TOTAL 14 on 20 (7 on 10)
  15. Sep 6, 2020
    Ohhh I have waited since thps4 for a good tony hawk game! And this is a very very good remake! Thank you very much developer ❤️
  16. Sep 7, 2020
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 are perfect remasters that affectionately remind us of the originals. Keeping the amazing soundtrack from the late 90's, early 2000's while adding a variety of songs ranging from the 80's until today, it gives that connection for all generations of players. The gameplay keeps the fun flowing style, emulating the feel of the originals.

It is a must play for

It is a must play for fans of the original 2 games and gets fans of the franchise excited about what the future has in store after the disappointment of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5. The only downfall for the game is the limited online multiplayer on offer. Other than being picky about the multiplayer options, it is flawless in every sense of the word, the game is a must buy!
  17. Sep 6, 2020
    AMAZING !!! from now on companies need to think hard before making a remake or game remaster ... Activision has raised the bar in quality.
  18. Sep 6, 2020
    This game takes me back. When the title screen appeared and Goldfinger started playing I was transformed into a 17 year old again. The graphics updates are great, as well as the multi-player modes. The gameplay is just as I remember it and feels quite smooth and fun to play.This game is as addicting as ever and replay value remains strong.
  19. Sep 20, 2020
    This game is perfect. Have not encountered any bugs. The customisation could be better but scoring a 10 because I enjoy the game so much. Just as I remember the original. Well done to VV please keep this level of quality coming and i’ll pre-order more often.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 18, 2020
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is one of the best remakes of two of the best video games ever made. For fans like me who grew up playing it, this is what we have wanted since the series started its downward spiral in its later years. It feels like Tony Hawk is back for the first time in a decade. For those not familiar this is the best way to jump into the action. This package is incredible, and I hope Activision expands it with DLC for Tony Hawk 3+4 at some point down the line.
  2. Sep 15, 2020
    For what it is trying to do, it is hard to fault Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 on Xbox One for practically anything it does. It accurately and lovingly recreates the original games whilst adding tons of new content and ideas - it just perfects the formula.
  3. Sep 11, 2020
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is one of the best examples of a video game remake. Not only has Vicarious Visions retained what made the games so well-crafted to begin with, but it has reminded us why a series with such refined gameplay should not just be left in the past. Though its character creation and multiplayer could do with some more attention, the addictive gameplay, stunning graphics and pitch-perfect sound ensure that the series has been given a new life. I cannot wait to see where it will be taken next, be it a remake of Pro Skater 3 and 4, or an entirely new entry – either way, I’ll be there. Welcome back, Birdman.