• Publisher: Raw Fury
  • Release Date: Jun 18, 2020
  • Also On: PC
6.5

1. Jul 14, 2020
    West of dead is by far a rather unique take on playstyle mechanics. If you have ever played a game dedicated to grinding this by far is it. You start off base stats and level up in the runs. They do not stay with you as when you die they reset every run. The starting weapons also change each run. You acquire lives and use those to unlock permanent perks. These help make the runs easier.West of dead is by far a rather unique take on playstyle mechanics. If you have ever played a game dedicated to grinding this by far is it. You start off base stats and level up in the runs. They do not stay with you as when you die they reset every run. The starting weapons also change each run. You acquire lives and use those to unlock permanent perks. These help make the runs easier. The graphics are not modern but they arent old either. And the aiming system is a different take on most games. It's difficult at first but then you get use to the weapons easily. The controls are not complex at all and the great thing is the levels are never the same so each and every game you play is different and requires actual thought and effort. I enjoyed this part deeply. You do need a general sense of strategy and timing to get through the fights. Once you get rolling and open up a series of perks the game becomes pretty straight forward. The game has cone a long way from the beta and is a game I will continue to enjoy. All in all the game is worth a play through at least a few times. A solid addition to the Xbox library at a worthy price of admission. Expand
  2. Jun 20, 2020
    Es un juego simple pero que engancha, con una jugabilidad de proteger y disparar. Lastima que no se puede guardar la partida
  3. Jun 30, 2020
    I really wanted to like this game. I love the atmosphere, the visuals are great and the setting is gritty and interesting. Even the music, as bare as it is, is enjoyable. The problem is the game is hampered by a multitude of issues that as much as I tried, I just couldn't get past.
    For starters, this is labeled as a twin stick shooter which is simply not accurate. You don't really aim in this game. Instead, your character locks on to an enemy and any shots you take will go towards that target. There is very little if any free aiming and this can be terribly annoying in certain situations until you get a firm grasp of the mechanics. There are also glaring issues with controls. Several buttons carry out multiple functions and it can be hard to tell when your character will do which action. Often times causing you to leap from cover or shoot when you mean to melee.
    Another huge issue is the camera and lighting. There are many instances where the camera will completely obscure your view and make it next to impossible to see enemies just off screen. It's a dynamic camera as well so you will find your view changing drastically on a whim, sometimes in combat which can really throw a wrench into the fight. The lighting also plays a huge part in this game. The mechanics work such that the arenas where you fight are usually shrouded in darkness with lanterns littered around the room that you can light. When lit, they stun enemies briefly and allow you see them and lock on to them. There are a few issues with this system. The biggest being there are many times where you simply can't get to a lantern before a target can hit you. They can target you in the dark, but you more or less cannot hit them in the dark. But sometimes you can. This is frustrating because there are many times you never really quite know how you should approach a fight.
    Lastly, there are a lot of bugs in the game as I write this. Some of them are game breaking. I was locked out of rooms that I was supposed to be locked into. There were many times where part of the room loaded, but another part was only partially loaded and obstacles were invisible or flickering. Enemies often became stuck or glitched into walls and floors, sometimes completely off the map but still triggering a fight. I even encountered one instance where every time I used an ability the game would completely crash and close.
    Even with all of these issues, if the game wasn't such a grind i would have still probably enjoyed it. The core gameplay is really enjoyable. Unfortunately the game has a pretty brutal difficulty curve with many of the later enemies killing you in one hit and forcing you to start completely over. Not necessarily an issue in itself but since you have to work your way all the way back to get familiar with the enemies, it can take quite a bit of time to advance. With the permanent upgrades a complete and utter grind to unlock the game eventually became a chore to play and with all of the issues it becomes pretty irritating.
    This game is teetering on the edge of being really great. But it's issues accompanied with the slow development and very grindy mechanics are holding it back severely. The game is in desperate need of a patch to clean some of these issues up and hopefully reduce the amount of time it takes to unlock some of the upgrades or put in some checkpoints between levels to make the game seem like less of a slog and more of an enjoyable venture.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 21, 2020
    West of Dead on Xbox One is a beautiful and entertaining western shooter that you’ll probably enjoy playing it if you are into roguelikes. The game doesn’t waste its potentials when it comes to gameplay mechanics, however, unbalanced and unrewarding level design are major issues that the game suffers from.
  2. Jul 21, 2020
    Despite the small bugs and a skewed economy that diminishes the experience, West of Dead is still something I can’t put down. The developers seem committed to fixes and I expect the experience to improve as time goes on, but it’s already an incredibly solid game that I enjoy and can easily recommend.
  3. Jul 8, 2020
    Though there's fun to be had with West of Dead, cruel difficulty spikes, bugs, and unruly aiming prevent the game from achieving greatness.