8.3

1. May 4, 2020
    Yakuza Kiwami is a 3rd Person Story-Driven Beat-Em-Up RPG. Kiwami is a remake of the first Yakuza game. You play as Kazuma Kiryu, a Promising member of the Yakuza about to be rewarded his own family. But unspeakable transgressions devolve into sending Kiryu to prison for 10 Years. Kiryu is a model prisoner, shy of a few issues when he arrives and is released on good behavior. HavingYakuza Kiwami is a 3rd Person Story-Driven Beat-Em-Up RPG. Kiwami is a remake of the first Yakuza game. You play as Kazuma Kiryu, a Promising member of the Yakuza about to be rewarded his own family. But unspeakable transgressions devolve into sending Kiryu to prison for 10 Years. Kiryu is a model prisoner, shy of a few issues when he arrives and is released on good behavior. Having avoided trouble in prison, he's lost a lot of his fighting edge. Now currently excommunicated from the Yakuza, Kiryu must figure out what's going on the Yakuza ranks, and re-learn how to fight as he did and become the Dragon of Dojima once more. To tell you any more would be riddled with spoilers. The Game system is loaded to the brim with fast-paced action and tons of fighting. Like tons of fighting. Street punks talking trash beat the crap out of them, Traitor to the Yakuza, beat the crap out of him, so on, and so forth. This game is a remake, utilizing the engine made for Yakuza 0, giving a fresh polish to the 13-year-old title. Kiryu has 4 fighting styles you can swap between while fighting, creating a pulse-pounding game in every fight. Loaded with minigames, all of which are fairly in-depth, keeping you with something to do at any given time. Yakuza Kiwami is just packed with content, and if you haven't played the older titles, here's your chance to start from the first game! Fans of the franchise will be delighted with the updates, and smoothing of the story and newcomers to the series will get to start on the newest engine for the games. Expand
  2. May 12, 2020
    Yakuza Kiwami feels a lot like 0... But without the magic.

Yakuza Kiwami feels a lot like 0... But without the magic.

I love how the game maintained things that made 0 so incredible. Substories are still hilariously good, the soundtrack BANGS, characters are very charismatic, Kiryu is even more badass, mini-games are super fun and Kamurocho is better, probably becoming one of the best fully-realized cities in gaming. All of this while packing a great story that's made even better if you followed how everything developed from the previous game to now. Gameplay-wise, it's 'ok' and I like how easy they made to get money, CP and EXP in this game, without taking away the challenge.
    Playing Kiwami almost felt like going back home. Almost, because home has flaws now.

This "Majima Everywhere" thing, for example, at first it, felt entertaining, but midway through the game, I couldn't stand Goro anymore! Majima was a protagonist on 0, why did they reduce his character to this? His importance in the campaign doesn't even make sense! Also, why lock the ENTIRE Dragon Style behind his boring fights? This is bad design talking.
    What happened to the amazing writing? 0 felt epic, well explained, shocking and emotionally gripping. Kiwami, on the other hand, while still GOOD, manages to make a mess of the plot, with a jarring pace, nonsensical moments, constant diversions and a VERY slow build-up. It was good, but too imprecise.

The final issue I had with this game is what almost ruined it: The combat system is broken!
    I've experienced some of the worst battles in gaming here. They felt UTTERLY unbalanced, unfair and repetitive.
    Aside from the AMAZING final boss, EVERY SINGLE BOSS SUCKS! These fights were cheap and tedious. Bosses dodge forever, knock you down with ease, defend almost all of your attacks, regenerate health, repeat the same moves, stunlock Kiryu... I could really go on. Basically, if you don't have enough medicine and patience, you'll be annoyed and frustrated until the end. Which is a shame, because 0 had GREAT boss fights and I felt that, if not for this mistake, this game would've been EXTREMELY better!
    Once again, bad design.

If you liked 0, play Kiwami. You'll like it better because of its predecessor. It's not as good as the previous one, but it continues the entertainment 0 gave us and opens doors for more great games. it just lacks quality. If you play it, do soldier on, because the story will get insipid at times and the combat will make you go insane.
  3. May 14, 2020
    Not as good as yakuza 0 but made Yakuza 0 that much more impactful. Both games compliment each other. For example bonds are built in yakuza 0 and those bonds are broken in kiwami. Makes the story that much more impactful. I would not play Kiwami 1 without playing 0 first.
  4. Jun 13, 2020
    Galera do Xbox, não deixem esse jogo passar. Ele é uma obra prima verdadeiramente especial. É uma homenagem aos filmes de Yakuza e a cultura japonesa como um todo. Um "must play" com toda certeza.
  5. May 8, 2020
    Simply amazing story, and lots of content for you to get lost again in kamurocho if you started like me on yakuza 0, an amazing series that I hope continues on xbox.
  6. May 9, 2020
    This is a weird game to review as I don't really know why it was good or why I enjoyed it. it's really just a massively glorified Streets of Rage. All you really do is watch a cutscene, run to an area, watch a cutscene, have a fist fight, run to an area, watch a cutscene, run to an area, have a fist fight. That's it! The cutscenes seem to take ages to get to the point too. I honestlyThis is a weird game to review as I don't really know why it was good or why I enjoyed it. it's really just a massively glorified Streets of Rage. All you really do is watch a cutscene, run to an area, watch a cutscene, have a fist fight, run to an area, watch a cutscene, run to an area, have a fist fight. That's it! The cutscenes seem to take ages to get to the point too. I honestly wasn't paying attention to half of it (it's all in Japanese so it wasn't like I could follow it without looking) and yet I followed the plot fine. As someone who loves Metal Gear Solid I can deal with long cutcenes, but they were just too long in this.
    The fighting is fun, if stupid, judging from this game every other person in Japan is a thug and wants to kill you!
    Saying all this, I thoroughly enjoyed myself playing this, I just dont' entirely know why.
    Maybe it's the mountain of side stories, maybe it's the cheese factor, maybe I just don't know :D
  7. Jun 23, 2020
    The world is big in the content area , the story is good but it's better if I play Yakuza 0 first cause it gave you a background in depth to the main characters and the antagonist

Generally favorable reviews - based on 5 Critic Reviews

1. May 5, 2020
    Yakuza Kiwami, a 15-year update of the game that goes beyond the technical by introducing mechanics inherited from Yakuza 0.
  2. May 5, 2020
    The plot and substories aren’t as involving as the prequel but Yakuza Kiwami is a much more introductory and inviting title; by being a bit more scaled-down it opens itself up to a much wider audience. If you missed out on Yakuza 0 when that released, start here instead.
  3. Apr 27, 2020
    Entertaining remake of a classic game with well-known strengths and weaknesses, but nonetheless one of the best stories in the franchise.