• Publisher: Tecmo
8.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Apr 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 6 Word review: Great for baby-stepping into DOA fighting.

If you have an XBox and willing want to try DOA, this is the game. The biggest purchase will be for DOA2. Looking back to DOA 3 & 4, this game will help many newcomers to the DOA series. The basics off all DOA games will stem back from this game: attacks, throws and holds all stem back to this game. THERE IS AN EASY MODE! When I bought this years ago, I started on Easy mode and slowly upped myself in difficulty. As I upped the difficulty, my skill would slowly increase. Don't expect that you'll be good in a short amount of time. Instead expect small advances in your skill: tried Normal, proficient at holds, mastered someone different.
  2. Oct 1, 2018
    OMG!! maybe this is most complete games of DOA. this includes the best version of DOA 2 and the first game.. It is very funny you can play every day.
  3. JimD.
    Apr 5, 2004
    This game looks like it will kick some butt.
  4. Ben
    Mar 15, 2006
    Excellent game, you can play for hours on end with xbox live or multiplayer.
  5. RobM.
    Nov 2, 2004
    The game is ridiculous. Even more sick, some guy has 918 wins already and the game has been out for about 24 hours.
  6. CaptainFalcon
    Nov 6, 2004
    Another excellent fighting game.
  7. Cyph
    Oct 28, 2004
    I was lucky enough to play a store promo of this, and hot damn its great. If you liked the original DoAs youll love this. Online is insane! BTW AL S, try to direct your comments to certain aspects of the game, and not leave them ambiguous - sounds like you didnt even play the game, but decided to jump on the PS2 fanwagon. Where exactly did you play 'your' copy of DoAU?
  8. KittE.
    Oct 30, 2004
    Wow, this is truly the Ultimate DOA game ever. For me, this is the greatest fighting game out there. Why? because the simple fact that it has the most realistic martial arts of any game. All of the fighters are very much true to the style they are based off of. My only complaint is the fact there are no Korean fighters or Korean styles, as that is my study. Other than my personal Wow, this is truly the Ultimate DOA game ever. For me, this is the greatest fighting game out there. Why? because the simple fact that it has the most realistic martial arts of any game. All of the fighters are very much true to the style they are based off of. My only complaint is the fact there are no Korean fighters or Korean styles, as that is my study. Other than my personal complaint, overall an excellent game. No other game comes close to the fluidity of this game, the fights just FLOW like a real fight. Expand
  9. AustinR.
    Dec 13, 2004
    Even though this game is rather difficult, it makes one hell of a fighting gamer afterward. The graphics are the most advanced I have seen yet, and if you are lucky enough to beat the entire game, the gallery is a wonderful prize worthy of cherishing along with the costumes. But where is Christie?
  10. RadarRider
    Dec 25, 2004
    Great fighting game and the best in the series. Sure it's mechanics aren't on par with vf4, but it's solid enough to hold it's own. It's easy to pick up and play for newbies, but offers enough depth for hardcore gamers as well. Highly recommended.
  11. JimmiA.
    Jul 27, 2005
    It´s a very good 3D fighting game. If you love DOA3 you must have DOA Ultimate. DOA2 with DOA3 graphics, and a bonus you get DOA1. The only thing i was disapointed was the could done DOA1 in the same graphic and play feeling like DOA2, but you can´t have everything. The downside in the whole serie is the game is not balanced to 100%. Still is the Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. the best It´s a very good 3D fighting game. If you love DOA3 you must have DOA Ultimate. DOA2 with DOA3 graphics, and a bonus you get DOA1. The only thing i was disapointed was the could done DOA1 in the same graphic and play feeling like DOA2, but you can´t have everything. The downside in the whole serie is the game is not balanced to 100%. Still is the Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. the best 3D fighting game in allaround (Graphic, balance, characters etc), so far.... But i´ts not much different today = ) Expand
  12. Dakidski
    Nov 18, 2004
    Great game. Team Ninja respects gamers wish for perfect fluid framerates. No sloppy coding here. Plenty of costumes and secrets. Soon I might even put away my Dreamcast! Vote is based on offline mode.
  13. Jun 2, 2017
    This was a good game but I like Dead or Alive 3 much more.

This was a good game but I like Dead or Alive 3 much more.

The original Dead Or Alive was an decent attempt to get Tecmo into the fighting game genre. The ultimate version was a disappointment as it was the Sega Saturn version and not the Arcade + version. The graphics, music and sound were good but it ultimately fell down to poor controls and the difficult hold mechanic. There was costumes, cheats and Raidou to unlock which gave the game replay value but the original Playstation version was better. It is still a somewhat fun game.

Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate is a HUGE improvement over the original Dreamcast version. It looked amazing with the Dead or Alive 3 graphics engine. The stages and character models looked stunning. The soundtrack is essentially the same as the original but remixes were added because of the DJ stage. The remixes weren't needed. The sound and gameplay was the same and it was so good. There were many more game modes added as well. There was a LOT to unlock like Bayman and Tengu and Hitomi ( if you had a Dead or Alive 3 save file) over 50 costumes and a CG Gallery. I like this version so much over the original.

It's a fun game. Get it.
  14. Aug 23, 2019
    DOA2 Ultimate still gets play from me at least once every two weeks. It's that good. There is a lot to learn and do in this game, and ways you can really delve into the deeper side of the action. The "exercise", which is an interactive command list, really gets your started on what your character can really do, and from there, you can find moves that go together and string together hugeDOA2 Ultimate still gets play from me at least once every two weeks. It's that good. There is a lot to learn and do in this game, and ways you can really delve into the deeper side of the action. The "exercise", which is an interactive command list, really gets your started on what your character can really do, and from there, you can find moves that go together and string together huge combos, apply that to tag mode, and you have a recipe for awesome, two-person combos!

The game play itself has something to offer for fighting game fans of all skill levels, and is an aesthetically pleasing experience as well, as action packed as it is beautiful. The stages are still the most in-depth, thought out and creative maps I have seen in a fighting game to date. The multi-tiered design and intractable levels keep you on your toes and add in an additional layer of depth and really emphasizes your positioning. Survival mode is jam-packed with collectible items that spawn after each victory, and collecting them all and having to learn every character to collect 100% of them is a challenge.

If there were a fighting game Mount Rushmore, this game would without a doubt be on it.
  15. Aug 27, 2021
    Dead or Alive Ultimate is truly the 'ultimate' package of DOA games since it includes remasters of the first two games.

#21 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004

Generally favorable reviews - based on 64 Critic Reviews

1. Varied play modes such as tag and survival, plus countless unlockable items, add further appeal. But the lack of new moves or characters is disappointing.
  2. Entertaining, but not for the hardcore fighting fan. Every move is very easy to pull off, it's more a matter of learning the best combos, and what each character will throw at you so you can properly defend yourself.
    Did we really need a third version of Dead or Alive 2? Probably not, and we definitely didn't need more DOA 1. But, for diehard fight fans and online junkies, Ultimate is worth a look.