GKIDS | Release Date: March 25, 2016
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 44 Ratings
Watch Now
joslatJul 23, 2016
Great movie, superb characters, story and a lot of greatly performed difficult characters and acting.
Apart from that, you will forget it is an animation movie and feel deep in touch with the characters, story, scenification and technology is also outstanding so to say. I give it a 10, no movie this year moved me like this one.
I loved every minute of it and so will you.
EpicLadySpongeApr 1, 2016
Making a review on April 1st about April and the Extraordinary World. This one is extremely fun to watch depending on these people's opinions, but come on now. This isn't worth missing... watch now!
LeZeeSep 1, 2016
The adventures of the family of scientists.

The adventures of the family of scientists.

As a film fanatic who grew up watching lots of 2D animations, I'm very happy to see they're still alive in other parts of the world after Hollywood abandoned them for 3D animations. Especially when it comes to this kind of animation, obviously the France produced some extraordinary films in the recent years such as 'Ernest & Celestine', 'A Cat in Paris', 'Zarafa' et cetera. This is an internationally produced film in the French language, but available in the English language too, which was based on the graphic novel by the French cartoonist Jacque Tardi.

This is the story of a young girl Avril that takes place in the 1940s, Paris. But it all begins many decades earlier that reveals how a family of three generations were pursued by the powerful men. It is the parallel universe story, especially when it comes to the technology, the world is underdeveloped and is in the steam age. This film is about the science and invention where Avril's parents, grandparents were on the verge to invent an ultimate serum. Now those bad guys are after Avril and her cat, Darwin. So before they catch her, she must find her family members if they had survived the crash a decade ago to put an end to all the surrounding mysteries.

Usually Europe means fairy tales with magic stuffs, but this is an sci-fi-adventure. Feels like watching a Japanese anime. Excellent story, the brilliantly developed characters with lots of suspense and thriller, so I don't think it makes sense to call it a comedy or children's film. Definitely for all ages, the film has a bit of everything to please the people from different generations. The sketches were another highlight, very catchy with the low bright colours. Directed by the two new directors, but their's experience is the fine result of this film.

"Cats don't dance. And they don't talk! So be quiet."

It is a beautiful world with the twin Eiffel towers, a bridge in the English channel kind of stuffs, yet it suffers from all types of severe pollutions. The global warming is the hot topic right now, but this film sets in 65 years earlier. So it comes in the line of 'Boy and the World', but all the focus was turned towards the family of scientists and their adventures than to press harder on the important issue. But throughout the narration, it is quite clear the world was affected by without the proper scientific progression and adaptation to save it. Avril might be the centre of the story, but the film character distributed widely and theirs story were well preserved to keep the excitement and pace steady till the end. So be prepared for some unexpected, because it's very matured yet a light humorous film.

The title might give an expression of a cliché, so if you expect a fantasy tale, then you're in the wrong place. But I'm surprised for how unique it was from other sci-fi films. Especially somewhat resembles 'Les Misérables' and some others, yet quite refreshing with all the twist and turns. When the actual story ends, there's an extended scene which makes us to dream for a sequel to come. But it all ended here, so a follow-up is very unlikely. Apart from the story, the technical brilliance was like par with the Animes, especially it reminds Miyazaki's films. These directors must keep doing films like this and who knows they may become the French versions of Tomm Moore.

One of the best animations of the years. A sci-fi which is not a dystopian theme. I said that because that's what very common in the current films. Instead, it is a mid 20th century story and totally an entertaining film with the breathtaking visuals. The story wise, it is nothing less than any similar live-action themes. It should have been very popular by now, but it is not and the reason is it is not a Hollywood. That's really very sad, but if you are an international film fan then you should give it a try and animation fans must not skip it. Like I said you won't often get a film matured, at a time funny as this one where adults and children can sit together.

NerdConsultantOct 17, 2016
I am going to be praising this one too, because I really enjoyed this. It’s a French animated film that has sadly gone directly to DVD over here, but it is really worth a watch. Based on a graphic novel of the same name, the best way ofI am going to be praising this one too, because I really enjoyed this. It’s a French animated film that has sadly gone directly to DVD over here, but it is really worth a watch. Based on a graphic novel of the same name, the best way of describing the film is ‘it’s a steam punk animated film’ that feels like a mix of Tintin and Studio Ghibli. I really enjoyed watching it, it had lovely moments, great characters and a decent plot. Plus the steam punk setting mixed with the really cool French animation lead to some really great imaginative moments, even of a couple of them felt like they were ripping of Howl’s Moving Castle. If you are a fan of Tintin or Studio Ghibli you owe it to yourself to watch this film and it’s another example of the brilliant standard that animated films have had this year. Expand
tethysdustSep 14, 2016
It was a very imaginative story, which sometimes veered into popular conspiracy theory territory. It was nice not to be able to guess exactly where the story was going, but sometimes the direction it took was a bit too weird. Also, the catIt was a very imaginative story, which sometimes veered into popular conspiracy theory territory. It was nice not to be able to guess exactly where the story was going, but sometimes the direction it took was a bit too weird. Also, the cat was hilarious. Expand
mettlemodNov 30, 2016
A fun jaunt through an alternate timeline that sees all of our greatest scientists disappear mysteriously. The art direction is imaginative and manages to be both brooding and whimsical. The main characters could have been given a bit moreA fun jaunt through an alternate timeline that sees all of our greatest scientists disappear mysteriously. The art direction is imaginative and manages to be both brooding and whimsical. The main characters could have been given a bit more personality, save for Darwin the cat who I found the most interesting of the lot. The storyline becomes somewhat 80's cartoonish towards the end. Not to say that's a bad thing, it just felt out of place compared to the rest of the film. Expand