Columbia Pictures | Release Date: November 15, 2019
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 363 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
TVJerryNov 25, 2019
Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska make up the new trio of women taking on the sale of a potentially world-shattering invention. Their new "Bosley" is played by Elizabeth Banks, who also wrote and directed. Obviously, there's aKristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska make up the new trio of women taking on the sale of a potentially world-shattering invention. Their new "Bosley" is played by Elizabeth Banks, who also wrote and directed. Obviously, there's a revised female empowerment sensibility, but it doesn't help improve this mediocre adventure. The action is seldom inventive, the plot is a basic rehash of this genre and the dialogue lacks the zing that might have given the film a saucy, fresh appeal. While it's never boring, this adventure lacks much to make it special or especially fun. Expand
JLuis_001Nov 15, 2019
Personally I didn't like it.
Personally I didn't like it.
I didn't have a bad time watching it but it wasn't like I was having a great time either. I think the studio didn't understand that a franchise like Charlie's Angels doesn't have that attractive aura anymore. After all the failed television remake of 2011 was a clear example of this and definitely this "continuation" not reboot, doesn't offer something significant or different.

It can be argued that there was no need to change the formula, but I really believe that there was a need to improve. I say this because it's been 16 years since Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle was released and although I won't say that Elizabeth Banks has done a bad job, because she didn't, her work largely feels like an update and extension of what McG did in the other two film. An I mean this both in tone and substance.

Definitely the most serious problem of the film occur with the time management. The film has really big problems with it.
The action sequences aren't impressive but they're well done, however when the action ends, there are moments where the film practically stops due to the tremendous rhythm slowdowns.
That hits the story a lot and considering the length is about two hours long, it inevitably feels heavier and longer than it actually is.

From the cast there is no one who stands out and frankly I don't see that as something negative, it certainly seems that the film shooting was fun for the people involved and the chemistry between the three protagonists is fortuitous. I read in several reviews that Kristen Stewart was the one who made the biggest impression but I didn't see it that way. She didn't do a bad job but I didn't see anything special in her performance either.
I suppose that her being the most famous name of the three main actresses, it was expected that the spotlights would be on her. Although it's definitely her most relaxed role since American Ultra.

This is essentially a film of rudimentary entertainment. The classic film for a weekend in which you had no better options.
It's not terrible but it's not vital either.
VickimageNov 28, 2019
Elizabeth Banks blaming the male audience and a lack of awareness due to poor marketing for this movie flopping is disingenuous. If Banks has four credits on the movie including for script and directing then she has to shoulder a lot of theElizabeth Banks blaming the male audience and a lack of awareness due to poor marketing for this movie flopping is disingenuous. If Banks has four credits on the movie including for script and directing then she has to shoulder a lot of the responsibility instead of deflecting on others. So - the freshest thing about the movie is Kristen Stewart’s performance. Jonathan Tucker impresses as a baddie and Luis Gerardo Mendez is amusing as health guru the Saint. But the script is a mixed bag. After a bright opening it just falls in a hole for 15 minutes of laborious set-up. Banks is surprisingly dull as Bosley - maybe her mind was on the directing instead of acting. Some of the action scenes are good but lack originality. We’ve seen it all before. The “girl power” message is heavy-handed. It’s not an atrocious movie by any means. A decent time-waster but nothing special. Expand
Muk09Nov 24, 2019
It's fine, nothing remarkable. If you go in expecting a generic action movie, you'll probably find it okay. The movie had trouble finding a consistent tone because there are jokes that aren't funny enough to make this a funny movie while atIt's fine, nothing remarkable. If you go in expecting a generic action movie, you'll probably find it okay. The movie had trouble finding a consistent tone because there are jokes that aren't funny enough to make this a funny movie while at the same time being frequent enough to prevent a more serious tone. The. Action sequences are choppy are quick cuts strung together, making it hard to follow the action some times. The worst part for me was the logical errors such as firing a machine gun from the roof of a car and not hitting anything, and then performing an acrobatic stunt a few seconds later while perfectly hitting every target with a hand gun. The biggest offender was probably the scene where a 6+ ft body guard gets knocked out by having a computer chair kicked into his legs. But I digress, go in with low expectations and you may have a marginally better experience. Expand
tropicAcesNov 15, 2019
Is it too try-hard woke for its own good? Probably, some of the jokes fall awkwardly flat, but it’s still a light and breezy watch.
BradMorganJan 28, 2020
Nice film that lasted a bit too long. There were also many unnecessary scenes that did not fit into the (thin) storyline.
mrc_brnNov 18, 2019
Entertaining, but completely by the numbers action movie. You know what you're in for when you go see it. That said, it's entertaining with funny dialogue and scenes. Kristen Stewart is a nice surprise I have to say. No need to hate on theEntertaining, but completely by the numbers action movie. You know what you're in for when you go see it. That said, it's entertaining with funny dialogue and scenes. Kristen Stewart is a nice surprise I have to say. No need to hate on the movie, just mindless fun. Expand
Voodoo123Apr 8, 2020
Charlie's angels 2019 has a weak screenplay, uninspired action set pieces, lackluster fight choreography and below average cinematography serve to undermine the decent cast from delivering the goods for the big screen. Overall it felt like ICharlie's angels 2019 has a weak screenplay, uninspired action set pieces, lackluster fight choreography and below average cinematography serve to undermine the decent cast from delivering the goods for the big screen. Overall it felt like I was watching any old action tv show pilot. While not unwatchably bad, there is superior content available elsewhere. Avoid! Expand
HopOnNov 16, 2019
You knew what to expect yet you came here to for because of it, to complain. Grow up, get a life.
JumpCut_OnlineDec 4, 2019
Although the Charlie’s Angels films have always been defined by their mix of action and comedy, this instalment succeeds more at executing the former than the latter. The action sequences are exciting and well-directed, and Banks rightlyAlthough the Charlie’s Angels films have always been defined by their mix of action and comedy, this instalment succeeds more at executing the former than the latter. The action sequences are exciting and well-directed, and Banks rightly doesn’t hold back on the violence. The humour, however, doesn’t always work and is stilted at times despite the cast’s best efforts. Banks’ first screenwriting effort is commendable, but the script might have been sharper and funnier had she not taken on quite so many roles.

The film’s 118-minute runtime would have equally benefitted from being tightened up. Some of the purely comedic scenes are not quite funny enough to justify being kept in, so it feels like it’s dragging at certain points.

Nevertheless, the tone of the film is consistently youthful and fun, and nowhere is this better reflected than in the soundtrack. No Charlie’s Angels track could ever compare to Destiny’s Child’s masterpiece ‘Independent Women, Pt. 1’, but with the likes of Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj and Lana Del Rey on the track listing, the new pop soundtrack is pitch-perfect for its audience of young adults.
keanureveesMar 16, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is entertaining enough to make you have a good time and I like the Angels trio, who have great chemistry. It definitely had good moments, but I can't help but feel like there's something off about this reboot. I mean, in 2019 we're still going with the female-spies-mainly-use-their-looks-to-defeat-the-enemy-on-missions trope? We have them fight fights in low-cut dresses and with heels on? And with a full face of make-up? They have time to do a dance routine before continuing their very important mission to save their friend? For a movie that's written and directed by a women, it doesn't really feel like one. Expand
Louw_BurgerApr 5, 2020
Earnest and energetic, if a bit uneven, Elizabeth Banks's pulpy Charlie's Angels adds new flair to the franchise with fun performances from its three leads.
emdoJan 19, 2022
Oh my god! Every villain is a man. Every good person is a woman. What is this?!?! Stop this ideological bull-crap and start making good movies!