Universal Pictures | Release Date: December 14, 1984
Generally favorable reviews based on 108 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
DeanomiteNov 30, 2020
i just saw the fanedit of this by spicediver, available on youtube. It was amazing, like Lawrence of Arabia with worms.
AndremaxJun 17, 2019
Dune has clumsy special effects and fight scenes, some motivations are questionable but Lynch shows his versatility, his surreal trademark is latent and story is at least interesting.
AzertyvinceAug 12, 2020
This film is for me one of the best science fiction films. I like this atmosphere on the border of the strange. The Midle Eastern inspired sets add a touch of originality and strangeness to this film. The actors are equiped with the necessaryThis film is for me one of the best science fiction films. I like this atmosphere on the border of the strange. The Midle Eastern inspired sets add a touch of originality and strangeness to this film. The actors are equiped with the necessary thickness for this great intergalactic epic. It doesn't matter that this film doesn't not fully conform to Franck Herbert's story (I have not read). For me, David Lynch made a really great movie, which have not to be ashamed in front of Star Wars or Blade runner. Expand
pin97dew24Jul 22, 2018
Depth: 2/2
Importance: 2/2
Relevance: 2/2
Artistry: 2/2
Imagination: 2/2

Total: 10/10
gracjanskiJan 10, 2022
The movie is not bad: the story is great of course with a lot of details and a deep universe. The visual effects are outdated of course.
diralarkNov 13, 2019
great actors, great stories, great SF, great text, great worms, great movie !
ThazariJan 16, 2022
Thought this was bad, but rewatched it after being massively disappointed in the 2021 version. It was much better than anticipated, and I feel this movie actually does the setting justice and properly explains who is who and what is going on.Thought this was bad, but rewatched it after being massively disappointed in the 2021 version. It was much better than anticipated, and I feel this movie actually does the setting justice and properly explains who is who and what is going on. The characters and factions all get plenty of screentime and all have personality to them.

Music is great, scenery is epic and flavorful, dialogues are good for the most part. Special effects no longer hold up, but the entire movie just has soul and unlike the new movie, the characters and the writing actually checks out.

Just compare the box scene between Mohiam and Paul in both movies, and that kind of condenses why the old movie is great and the new one is soulless nonsense with terrible dialogue.
KelvinSelimorSep 24, 2021
Dune. Holy war. An unusually interesting film for its time. An interesting story, but practically uninteresting characters. The entire film is based only on the character Paul Atreides. The rest of the characters are somewhere in theDune. Holy war. An unusually interesting film for its time. An interesting story, but practically uninteresting characters. The entire film is based only on the character Paul Atreides. The rest of the characters are somewhere in the background. The plot is interesting, the soundtrack is 7 out of 10. Expand
I3irdyOct 21, 2021
Now compared to the remake, this adaptation seems like a jewel from the 80s.
Now compared to the remake, this adaptation seems like a jewel from the 80s.
I went to see the remake with my wife and tried to explain some of the background to her... it's a disaster. And that's where the Lynch adaptation starts to shine. Apart from the possibilities of the time, the film has aged very well and the trick effects are still acceptable. But what is much more important in my eyes is the storytelling and the political background and context.
Simply very good science fiction. A must see for me.
asgrrrOct 2, 2021
Corners are cut and a lot of background left out. This is to be expected with adapting such a huge story to a feature film. The tone of the narrative is extreme, bordering on melodrama, as can be expected from Lynch. This kind of treatment isCorners are cut and a lot of background left out. This is to be expected with adapting such a huge story to a feature film. The tone of the narrative is extreme, bordering on melodrama, as can be expected from Lynch. This kind of treatment is not necessarily out of place because the story contains many themes that take things to the extreme, in particular genetic manipulation. The story suffers from the severe cutting, but comes out reasonably well, considering. Expand