Momentum Pictures | Release Date: August 4, 2017
Generally favorable reviews based on 5 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
KaptenVideoAug 14, 2017
„Rough Night“ is still in Estonian cinemas, but here’s the new one-night-adventure for girls that actually deserves your time – provided you’re into mainstream American comedies, of course.
Here we have a motley crue of seasoned entertainers,
Here we have a motley crue of seasoned entertainers, including always solid Toni Collette, Kate Aselton, Bridget Everett, Molly Shannon, Adam Scott, Maroon 5’s Adam Levine, Rob Huebel, Paul Rudd, Paul Rust et al.
The movie is not perfect, but it’s much livelier and better than „Rough Night“, which does not come as a surprise because, in my humble opinion, the Scarlett Johansson starrer doesn’t do anything right.
The screenplay is actually rather mediocre, but there’s enough breathing room for characters and relationships of which there are surprisingly many.
It allows the able cast to build and sustain a proper mood and energy to keep us interested enough to follow events and jokes which, by themselves, are quite generic, not to say cliched. But compared to „Rough Night“, it plays out almost like a character piece.
In addition to the four women having a wild night out we have several important male characters, such as those played by Levine, Rudd and Scott, which are all more symphatetic and/or interesting than the female ones. This is to be expected, probably, considering the general tone and intended audience.
„Fun Mom Night“ is ruled by women behind the camera, too. It is directed by former shorts and TV director Alethea Jones (this is her first cinema outing) and written by, er, Paul Rudd’s wife Julie Rudd. Which explains including Paul. Not that it’s any different from most of his other movies.
I have several things to say about the main characters and their lifestyle choices, but there’s no point. It is, after all, just a genre movie looking for some audience. And irritating some viewers is part of the business here.
The movie is quite good at what it does, and you could say that actors are able to give it more heart than in many mainstream comedies, but you still will not remember much of it in the morning.
LeZeeNov 4, 2017
When the moms' found each others arm and shoulders!

When the moms' found each others arm and shoulders!

First it was 'Moms' Night Out', followed by 'Bad Moms' and now this. But this was not as same as those two. Somewhat a different film. It kind of mix of fun and serious. I thought it was kind of inspired by 'Big Little Lies'. Only the settings and the characters, but the rest of the tale was fun version. Though not entirely funny film. There are some serious talks about the life, but then goes off the reality for a second. That terrible mix of commercialisation and art, did not do any good.

It was not all about them. I liked the husbands' parts too. What they had talked and what they have learnt, all were interesting and inspiring. Beautiful characters and the performances. Short film and a decent one. It did not do well among the film goers, but I think those moms deserve to return. I would love that, only it has to get a better storyline. Surely it won't happen now. Overall worth a watch, a decent film than what you have seen, heard about it.