IFC Midnight | Release Date: April 20, 2018
Generally favorable reviews based on 80 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
IttiacesApr 20, 2018
Ghost Stories is a British horror film adapted from the Olivier nominated play by writers Andy Nyman and Jeremy Dyson('The League of Gentlemen'). Nyman stars as a professor who has made his life's work revolve around debunking supernaturalGhost Stories is a British horror film adapted from the Olivier nominated play by writers Andy Nyman and Jeremy Dyson('The League of Gentlemen'). Nyman stars as a professor who has made his life's work revolve around debunking supernatural events and providing logical explanations for them. He is challenged to investigate three extreme cases of strange happenings, and the story unfolds on his subsequent journey.

On the whole this film is undoubtedly scary, actually terrifying in parts, very entertaining and the fact there are several stories entwined in one main plot leaves the audience little room for boredom. The characters are well rounded and interesting, Martin Freeman gives a fantastic turn as an obnoxious stock trader with sinister intent. There are plenty of jump scares, and the foreboding atmosphere is retained throughout. It's well filmed and each scene cleverly designed.

On the flip side, I would have liked to see the three stories more resolved and some of the plot points didn't seem to make sense at times. However, the twist at the end made the reason for this very clear. All in all, an excellent, thought-provoking film and definitely one of the best British horrors in a long time.
Davrosdaleks1Jul 29, 2018
Effectively spooky. Really has that old-time English ghost story quality to it. The film relies on atmosphere and uneasiness. Some great visuals and use of pre-existing landscapes. It excels at making you uncomfortable about what is hiding inEffectively spooky. Really has that old-time English ghost story quality to it. The film relies on atmosphere and uneasiness. Some great visuals and use of pre-existing landscapes. It excels at making you uncomfortable about what is hiding in the dark. Although, I do think the segments end a bit abruptly.

Really well thought out wrap-around story. Perhaps not the most original ending, but it is done really well.

Excellent cast all-around, but the MVP is Alex Lawther as a kid who has been scared out of his mind. He does an excellent job showing off his nervousness.
alejandro970Aug 25, 2018
More than a creepy supernatural movie, it`s a sort of riddle that deserves the attention and patience of viewer for solve in final act. However, fulfill the proposal of being a genre movie via some effective scares.
JLuis_001Jul 10, 2018
The truth is that I started to think about and I find it hard to catalog this film in this way but I feel that Ghost Stories is a film directed mostly to nostalgic audiences.

I don't deny that in that way it seems that I'm reducing its

I don't deny that in that way it seems that I'm reducing its audience, reducing its reach but the truth is that it feels that way.
Because if you ever saw a show like Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of The Dark? or more importantly Tales from the Crypt, this film will remind you of them, maybe a bit, but it will or maybe it's just me, I don't know

Ghost Stories is not a great horror film but the truth is that it has more suspense and a much more genuine style of suspense than many other horror films that fall into cheap scare and blood to gallons.

It's not a great film at all but if you're like me and you like more substance instead of a empty show, I believe rhis films deserves your attention.
Rebecca31Apr 23, 2018
Entertaining, surprisingly funny and spine-chilling. Ghost stories is a unique take on a modern horror story. Not just a parade of cheap jump scares but an interesting story wrapped in tension and guaranteed to give most of you at least oneEntertaining, surprisingly funny and spine-chilling. Ghost stories is a unique take on a modern horror story. Not just a parade of cheap jump scares but an interesting story wrapped in tension and guaranteed to give most of you at least one fright.

Professor Goodman (Andy Nyman) specialises in debunking phony psychics. For his whole life he has been a sceptic but now he must investigate three apparently unexplainable hauntings. Each story is scarier than the last so buckle up for a terrifying horror movie that will have your heart in your mouth. How rarely do we get a good horror and Ghost Stories is a refreshing take on a ghost story. Rather than focus on the never-ending jump scares it works at a story you become invested in and builds the tension in a way most horror movies can’t anymore. It’s got it all, frights, laughs and a well told story. Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended.
ozymandias79Jul 21, 2018
The British have strange ideas about what is scary, like a 30°C day. Despite the numerous attempted jump scares, this movie might be least scariest "scary" movie I have ever seen.
deltagilbertJul 17, 2018
Starts off really well with an interesting premise of a psychic/paranormal debunker's skills being put to the test. The anthology stories are all excellent up to the point you find they have no ending at all which makes them completelyStarts off really well with an interesting premise of a psychic/paranormal debunker's skills being put to the test. The anthology stories are all excellent up to the point you find they have no ending at all which makes them completely pointless. The final act of the film takes a stupid turn which, for me, utterly derailed and ruined the whole thing. The writers should have stuck with initial premise. The film ended with me totally disappointed. Expand
tiparAug 11, 2018
Confronted feelings; I like some aspects of it, for instance, the second story, I like the beginning, everything that happens in the house but then the story itself not that good.
drone41Jul 26, 2018
It started very interesting, and it was a really scary and tense movie in first half, but other half i really don't want to comment, a huge disappointment.
FabrizioMaffeiSep 12, 2018
Truly a bad movie, written and acted badly.
What should it be? A horror movie? It's not scary at least it's not the first movie you've seen or you're not easily impressed.
A dramatic film? Really?! we have seen a development of this kind 1000
Truly a bad movie, written and acted badly.
A dramatic film? Really?! we have seen a development of this kind 1000 times. So trivial.
A weird plot without any sense. You can say: It’s a horror movie, it can also not make sense. Ok but at least do it scary. But no, so what’s the point?.
The two directors' writers must really have a guardian angel to be able to be financed for this thing.
Martin Freeman is really unbearable on everyone.
Photography is good and is the only thing that is saved.
So stay away and watch other movies that are really scary.
BrianMcCriticOct 3, 2018
A chain of stories that is more about a man's mental state than about the stories themselves. I found myself interested even when all the elements fail to deliver. The pay off may not be what you're hoping for. Overall a low 7 a B.
Astor_Jan 3, 2019
Ghost Stories revolves around a man (Philip Goodman) devoted to debunking fraudulent psychics, and who is tasked by a paranormal investigator (Charles Cameron) with investigating and solving three unexplained paranormal events

To be honest,

To be honest, I am pretty bored with the plots and the scenes. Most of the so called scary scenes are mostly weak jump scares. I find it ridiculous that Phillip (the hardcore critic of the paranormal) kept believing paranormal are fake despite experiencing several paranormal activities first hand himself in the movie. The worst thing is that he didn't even bother to debunk them in the film with actions and real tests as a professional debunker of the paranormal. This severely undermines his credibility as a good debunker of the paranormal. Weak minded and disturbed is the impression that he gives with his personality and behaviours.

There is a decent twist towards the end. I am not going spoil it here. The twist at the end is nice, but it is not developed enough to have any significant good effects on this overall mediocre film.

Not worth a watch. Unless you have nothing better to spend on with your time.
WhiskeyStoriesOct 27, 2018
The themes Ghost Stories explores are quite intriguing, but I felt that their execution was kind of spotty. On a technical side it's a very well made film that has some real inventive scares and a nice chilling tone. Unfortunately the pacingThe themes Ghost Stories explores are quite intriguing, but I felt that their execution was kind of spotty. On a technical side it's a very well made film that has some real inventive scares and a nice chilling tone. Unfortunately the pacing drags so much that I had trouble enjoying it all. Would recommend it though. Expand
OwenMansellMay 25, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ghost stories is one of those films where you have to pay very close attention too to get every detail that could affect the story, the individual story of Tony Matthews was very suspenseful and bone chilling, but the others after that couldn't out do the first one which was a shame, the films plot twist was a real shock too me. I was thinking about the film for about an hour after i had left the cinema. The black bird references when it hit the window at the end was very confusing until i looked up what it represented and meant. I felt it was always building up to something and the overall message of the film was confusing. It isn't for the casual viewer. Expand
KRC161412_1Aug 20, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First story was epic. ANd then it kinda of fell apart by each new story and conclusion Expand
meydianarizki21Oct 18, 2020
Ghost Stories: Such a shame!
Ghost Stories is kinda of a horror anthology, but not really. It's a British horror anyway starring Martin Freeman and oddly Paul Whitehouse.
It tells the story of a skeptic, a professional debunker and I think
Ghost Stories: Such a shame!

It tells the story of a skeptic, a professional debunker and I think they're always fantastic protagonists because I can entirely relate to their plight and mission. He's tasked with investigating three supernatural incidents and off he goes to find the truth.

Truth be told I was really enjoying it, it was so well handled. Genuinely tense, succeeds in being scary without relying on jump scares and the cast are fantastic. I was gripped, I was enthralled, I was hooked.

Martin Freeman is on form and Paul Whitehouse in such a role though weird actually showed he may be a more credible actor than originally believed. He broke free of the comedy characters he's known for a did a great job.

So what went wrong? Sadly for me it's one of those films killed by the ending, it just didn't work for me. I get it, I fully understand everything they were going for but personally that flat lined the entire film.

Such potential, so well done, but that ending just bundled the thing into a coffin and sent it to a premature grave. Such a shame.

The Good:

The majority is fantastic on every front

Lot of potential

The Bad:

Movie killing ending

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

Phone signal is something that you just swipe out of the air

02 product placement? Worst ever

Professors are known for pulling onions out of their bottoms
EmileenaJul 14, 2019
Wasn't sure what to expect from this film.

It kept me guessing and in the end shocked!
Tyrant719Aug 31, 2021
I think Christians should stay out of media that was intended to offend them and stop trying to assimilate it into their cult like the Borg. This is clearly a movie made by dogmatic people who needed a fictional tale to reinforce theirI think Christians should stay out of media that was intended to offend them and stop trying to assimilate it into their cult like the Borg. This is clearly a movie made by dogmatic people who needed a fictional tale to reinforce their righteousness. Only 13-year-olds would be afraid of the Goosebumps-like imagery and ham fisted messages. Expand
Loverton1May 27, 2020
Ending worked for me but the 3 short stories lacked anything new and exciting. Typical building to a loud sound and a jump scare. Overall, it was a fairly enjoyable movie but would never watch again.
geewahJan 5, 2021
Not a bad movie but not great one either. The three stories do play along to the usual tropes of this genre.