Picturehouse Entertainment | Release Date: October 25, 2017
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 71 Ratings
Watch Now
GreatMartinDec 1, 2017
“God’s Own Country” is being compared to “Brokeback Mountain” but is a much better picture, especially regarding the two men in the center of the love story.

Johnny (Josh O’Connor) is a twenty something man who is running the farm his father Martin (Ian Hart), who has had a stroke, owns. The latter is a bitter man who seemingly has nothing but disdain for his son. Johnny’s grandmother Deirdre (Gemma Jones) is a cold woman who shows every bit of her hard life in her face.

Johnny feels overwhelmed with all the work he has to do and gets drunk every night occasionally having indiscriminate, unfeeling sex with other young men. His father, against Johnny’s wishes, hires a temporary worker to help on the farm during the lambing season and, at first resents Gheorghe (Alec Secareanu). Gheorghe is a Romanian immigrant who lost everything and resents Johnny calling him a gypsy.

We watch Johnny and Gheorghe slowly fall in love as they do the hard work required on the farm, starting at first more of a fight, it generally is an exploration of their bodies and an awakening of the emotions they eventually come to feel each other. There is a beautiful scene of the two men enjoying their life and domesticity when a major event takes place and that event also brings about major changes in their relationship especially Johnny’s decision to do something that puts their love at risk.

There are many tender scenes between the two men and a surprising one between the father and son later in the film. There are graphic scenes of farm life including the birthing of lambs, including the mouth to mouth resuscitation of one, the death of calves plus the real hard labor of a farmer from building walls of many varied size rocks to putting up fences among many other jobs.

The performances by Josh O’Connor and Alec Secareanu, making the romance look real and the sex scenes exciting, are rock solid with the latter having the ‘smoldering sexy’ look that made a star of a young man in the old days of Hollywood. Both Ian Hart and Gemma Jones offering top support with the former being both stern and caring and the latter as not a particular warm women but accepting the farm life and her grandson when she figures out what is going on.

The director and screenwriter Francis Lee shows both the beauty and ugliness of the Yorkshire area in England and also of love. Lee in his feature debut is in complete control and Joshua James Richards with his photography helps the director show his love for the land.

A few asides:

1) Remember I am a city boy—the dealing with animals which may be natural to country people was a ‘hide the eyes’ moments for me!

2) While the sex scenes are graphic they are no more than shown in non-gay films.

3) Though I very seldom if ever tell when this is possible you can see the full film on youtube.

4) Though the speak English, it is England English, plus a heavy Yorkshire accent, I wish there had been sub-titles which mean when I do watch it on youtube I will use the caption option.
enrick9Jan 31, 2018
Sincera, humana, hermosa, conmovedora, eso y muchos otros apelativos es esta película.
luke100Jan 9, 2018
These in-sa-ne views deserve a perfect score on their own, and then you add a smartly written story where the main hero goes through a great arc, add some family issues and visual metaphores... well, this is one of my favorite love stories,These in-sa-ne views deserve a perfect score on their own, and then you add a smartly written story where the main hero goes through a great arc, add some family issues and visual metaphores... well, this is one of my favorite love stories, period. An excellent, fun, emotional trip that leaves you in a state of awe for many hours. Expand
endaugustMay 16, 2018
The best thing about GOC is Josh O'Connor's detailed, searing performance. The direction is to be applauded also for its minute attention to details of the farm life (though it feels a bit too fetishistic at times with long takes of skinningThe best thing about GOC is Josh O'Connor's detailed, searing performance. The direction is to be applauded also for its minute attention to details of the farm life (though it feels a bit too fetishistic at times with long takes of skinning the animals...). But the film feels imbalance in its treatment of the two characters. The handsome Romanian is there to service the British rural farm boy and to bring him out of his repressed stoic way. What's in it for Gheorghe especially when Johnny was nothing but a brutal charmless bloke? A chance to be away from his poor country? Would he be doing this mainly for economic reasons? This would have been more acceptable if the movie weren't so hung up on its being a "love story" b/c I don't see what's to love about Johnny from Georghe's perspective. Johnny is more like a project than a love interest for someone who's as well-rounded as Georghe. Writer/director Francis Lee can't have it both ways, portraying a gritty and sentimental romance. Expand
FedorkoNov 13, 2017
God's Own Country is a love story that evolves from a need to domesticate and a willingness for one to submit to domestication. It is a perspective that is not often approached in cinema, perhaps because it is usually tackled through aGod's Own Country is a love story that evolves from a need to domesticate and a willingness for one to submit to domestication. It is a perspective that is not often approached in cinema, perhaps because it is usually tackled through a male/female relationship, but because GOC takes on the theme from a male/male relationship, we are able to glimpse into this world without having to regard too heavily our PC culture. A great performance by the lead actor plus a simple, straightforward story and expert use of silence makes God's Own Country a movie for every indie theatergoer to see. Expand
KatrinaKleinFeb 21, 2018
Bravo! You succeeded in doing something very few have done, melted this sometimes jaded heart. Watching provoked feelings of my youth and facing the heartbreak of being so alone. Give in, enjoy life, regardless of what you identify as, theBravo! You succeeded in doing something very few have done, melted this sometimes jaded heart. Watching provoked feelings of my youth and facing the heartbreak of being so alone. Give in, enjoy life, regardless of what you identify as, the deep beauty in sharing your truths and living shines through in this film. The future of real cinema, Francis Lee and the entire cast I can't wait to see again. Fabulous, Thank You All! Expand
GalataGayJan 16, 2019
Excepcional película que narra de manera impecable la historia de amor entre dos hombres que no tienen en lo personal absolutamente nada en común. Una dirección mas que correcta, unas interpretaciones excepcionales, un guión muy acertado yExcepcional película que narra de manera impecable la historia de amor entre dos hombres que no tienen en lo personal absolutamente nada en común. Una dirección mas que correcta, unas interpretaciones excepcionales, un guión muy acertado y una banda sonora que encaja como guante hacen de esta película, posiblemente la mejor de temática gay de 2018, y eso que este año el nivel de cine Gay ha sido increíble... Entre la italiana Call me by your Name, las estadounidenses Love Simon y Beach Rats, la Suiza Mario, la Chilena Una mujer fantástica, y alguna francesa que se me escapa, esta peli Inglesa es LA MEJOR Expand