Momentum Pictures | Release Date: September 1, 2017
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 18 Ratings
Watch Now
LeZeeFeb 4, 2018
The fall and rise of Doug the thug.

The fall and rise of Doug the thug.

Jay Barushel. This is the magic words for this film. This is his feature film directional debut and I would say he did an awesome job. Apart from that, his cameo was also so good. The first film was good. It was like I have never seen before. A sports film with a favour of WWE. I did not think it would get a sequel, but now I'm really happy they made one. This is just perfect as the first one. In television and feature films, those who play brothers, sisters, never rise into the big stars. Sean William Scott quite found his own place. This film could become his identity in the future. I hope the third is on the way, and of course should be made by none other than Jay Barushel. The rest of the cast was well supported him in this. One of the good films of the year, and best among the sports theme.

With a new season on the roll, the Highlanders struggling after their new captain Doug, ruled out for the remains after he met with a serious injury. He was replaced in the team by the one who confronted him. Still the team is not producing the result the management wanted. On the other side, Doug is recovering and into the next level of his married life. With all the chaos around, his comeback to the team and rest of the story revealed in the third act.

I have seen many films what they have called comedy, but I never laughed even one time during my watch. This film actually made me laugh in many parts. There's not much sports cliche in it. Easy to predict it as a one-liner, but the events, the scenes were hard to guess. Well written, directed and performed. One of the best Canadian films of the year. Those who liked previous should watch it, otherwise still worth have a peek into it.

imthenoobJan 3, 2018
It does nothing but recycle the first film and not in a good way. Talented cast and likeable characters but it's nothing different. I wish they had done something original, At least keep it entertaining rather than the mess it was.
temptershellSep 8, 2017
Unnecessary continuation, trivial storyline with fewer crushed skulls and noses and much too little Liev Schreiber. Brilliant in its simplicity Jay Baruchel is one of the few positive aspects of this production. There were some funny momentsUnnecessary continuation, trivial storyline with fewer crushed skulls and noses and much too little Liev Schreiber. Brilliant in its simplicity Jay Baruchel is one of the few positive aspects of this production. There were some funny moments and just that. Expand
JLuis_001Sep 9, 2017
Seann William Scott plays the same role he has done almost his entire career and no doubt it works, I cannot deny that he is one of the best points in this movie, but Goon: Last of the Enforcers does not manage to surpass the original and beSeann William Scott plays the same role he has done almost his entire career and no doubt it works, I cannot deny that he is one of the best points in this movie, but Goon: Last of the Enforcers does not manage to surpass the original and be honest, it wasn't so difficult, it is clear that they decided to repeat the formula and therefore the impact and the grace is already completely diluted. Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 10, 2018
Like most comedy sequels it ups the vulgarity and absurdity, lessening it's effectiveness. Goon 2 succeeds somewhat better than most though. The fights are meaner, the on ice action looks great, and it's plenty funny. Jay Baruchel show someLike most comedy sequels it ups the vulgarity and absurdity, lessening it's effectiveness. Goon 2 succeeds somewhat better than most though. The fights are meaner, the on ice action looks great, and it's plenty funny. Jay Baruchel show some talent in his directorial debut. His writing seems to have taken a hit though. Apparently it was Goldberg who kept things more grounded last time around. New co-writer Jesse Chabot seems completely onboard with letting things get as ridiculous as possible. Some elements of the movie are so over-the-top (the new sports commentators) that nothing feels like it's taking place in reality. Goon 2 is much more of a self-aware and parodies the sport of hockey on a greater level. The story is a bit all over the place. Things are at their best when the focus is on Eva and Doug's relationship. They are starting a family and have to figure out just how hockey will fit into their new, more adult lives. Doug is just as likable as ever even if his simple-mindedness comes dangerously close to being a genuine disability for the sake of the jokes. Eva's arc is pretty satisfying and backed by a solid performance from Allison Pill. There's just too much other stuff going on in the background. Liev Schreiber is back for some reason. His inclusion feels like unnecessary fluff and the character's subplot ends up lacking a fulfilling conclusion. When it comes to the latter of those two complaints, the same can be said for the film's new antagonist, but at least he serves the purpose of giving Doug someone to bloody and is partly responsible for at least two of the movie's funniest moments. LaFlamme's quest to become the team's new captain falls very short because all of the life has been sucked out of him.

What ultimately worked in the first Goon's favor wasn't just that it was funny. It was that it had a lot of heart. That same heart can be found here as well. The real emotion doesn't come until near the ending, but it's one of this sequel's saving graces. I still genuinely gave a crap about these characters. Even the comic relief ones. Plus, yeah, it's darn funny. There are some outright gut-busting moments that were only made possible by Baruchel's desire to get as wild as possible. It's kind of a double edged sword for the movie in the end, but overall I didn't bleed too much. Certainly not as much as the cast. The blood effects are almost obscenely overdone, adding to the sense of unbelievability that hurts the overall product. I have to give a shoutout to Kim Coates who is a real scene stealer. I seem to recall him being one in the original as well. The Goon follow up is a worthy, but definitely lesser sequel that has just enough fight left in it to make it worth stepping back out onto the ice for.

7.2/10
Meth-dudeJul 19, 2018
While it wasn't as good as the first Goon, it still wasn't bad at all. The movie was entertaining, the last half hour was engaging and pretty fun to watch and the acting was generally good. Unfortunately, most of the jokes fell flat,While it wasn't as good as the first Goon, it still wasn't bad at all. The movie was entertaining, the last half hour was engaging and pretty fun to watch and the acting was generally good. Unfortunately, most of the jokes fell flat, Baruchel's character was even more annoying than in the first movie and the ending was a little too abrupt. If you liked the first Goon movie you will probably enjoy this sequel, but it's nothing extraordinary. Expand
RalfbergsJul 7, 2018
Not as good as the first movie, but still has some great laughs and the story is nice, albeit a bit predictable. If you liked the first one, this is a must watch