Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: June 19, 2015
Universal acclaim based on 1913 Ratings
1,755
Watch Now
skykappahJul 27, 2015
Along with other reviewers... I don't understand the high praise either.... This could have worked as a 30 minute short. My seven year old said the best bit was the end credits, no joke. So this ranks down along with the weaker PixarAlong with other reviewers... I don't understand the high praise either.... This could have worked as a 30 minute short. My seven year old said the best bit was the end credits, no joke. So this ranks down along with the weaker Pixar offerings. It's also not a feel good movie either.. Infact it's out and out emotastic. I hope this makes a ton of money because i don't like Disney inhouse beating Pixar, which has been true since Tangled. If Pixar carry on making weepies then they are gonna have to do a lot of catching up. Come on Pixar! I take my kid out to have a good time! Which reminds me... Inside Out is a talkie, probably contains the most dialogue out of any Pixar movie, probably why my daughter was bored. It really didnt feel like the movie was for kids at all. As it stands... I'd score this movie a 7/10 but since my daughter didnt love it it... Its a six. Better movie for us adults. Expand
dontdisappointJun 29, 2015
Although the movie had a elements that allowed for laughter and possible tears, I didn't exactly find it as amazing as everyone had hyped it up to be. I may only be young, but even elements of the story I couldn't relate to at all. EspeciallyAlthough the movie had a elements that allowed for laughter and possible tears, I didn't exactly find it as amazing as everyone had hyped it up to be. I may only be young, but even elements of the story I couldn't relate to at all. Especially since I have moved and lived in America. It had moments of being too juvenile and it may have been for a younger audience, but I'm only 14 and I know that most teens will have gone to see this movie, also parents. As for the characters, I found Joy and Sadness to annoying. At times I wanted to claw my face out because sadness was borderline depressed and joy just needed to understand that you can't have the spotlight. It should have explored the islands more, which doesn't actually count as a spoiler cause it is featured in the trailer. Overall I just found it disappointing, especially for a Disney movie. It is different, with a really arty idea, just possibly not executed to he best ability I know Disney can do. Expand
namelessJun 20, 2015
Extremely inventive. Well done... but in the middle we spent 25 minutes too long on the same journey. Enjoy the beginning and end but know that there is this part in the middle that treads over the same material and ironically you lose theExtremely inventive. Well done... but in the middle we spent 25 minutes too long on the same journey. Enjoy the beginning and end but know that there is this part in the middle that treads over the same material and ironically you lose the emotional connection. During the credits they figured out when they needed to show more of during the film but by that time the film was likely already completed. My admiration for not trying something new... which is so unusual today. Expand
Serenityinaz12Jun 23, 2015
This movie was OK, but none of my family felt it was even remotely close to being one of Pixar's best. The endless high praise I don't get. Not a bad movie by any means, simply ok.
GoodmongoJul 1, 2015
The movie is OK. It had a great premise and could have been so much more. The problems that both my wife I felt were that this movie never had a real message or theme. All the great Pixar movies had a theme and message that could be summedThe movie is OK. It had a great premise and could have been so much more. The problems that both my wife I felt were that this movie never had a real message or theme. All the great Pixar movies had a theme and message that could be summed up in a single sentence. Unfortunately Inside Out doesn't. Amy Pohler as Joy is the exact same character she was on Parks and Req. Sadness was so annoying that I felt like anger early on.

I mean the whole theme of the movie is that a memory can be both joy and sorrow. Yawn. Finally, the relationship of the parents to the girl is very lacking. The parents "need" her to be supportive of the move and problems. She must show happiness and be supportive. Then in the end the parents finally realize that maybe the kid was sad about the move. Are parents that stupid?

There were some great parts. Loved showing other people's minds and their control centers. Too bad the movie couldn't have focused on this instead of the story it picked.
Rex_richardsJul 27, 2015
If you're the parent of a 11 year old girl who has gone all moody this movie is probably amazing. For everyone else, it really isn't that great. At least twice it's genuinely boring. My conclusion? All reviewers are are in their late thirtiesIf you're the parent of a 11 year old girl who has gone all moody this movie is probably amazing. For everyone else, it really isn't that great. At least twice it's genuinely boring. My conclusion? All reviewers are are in their late thirties and early forties and have an 11 year old daughter. Expand
dollarsignOct 21, 2015
7/107/10
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
cryhardhumorJul 25, 2015
It's humor and wit never go further than the concept itself, which however cute and "imaginative" it may be is anything but "original". The family is to perfect and the comic relief to annoying for this movie to be anything more than at timesIt's humor and wit never go further than the concept itself, which however cute and "imaginative" it may be is anything but "original". The family is to perfect and the comic relief to annoying for this movie to be anything more than at times cute enough to enjoy for a few seconds before sappy music and over exposed shots of happiness and laughter meant to do nothing blatantly and lazily abuse your emotions set in. At this point Pixar seems to be doing nothing but rinsing and repeating, but since they're Pixar I guess I'm not allowed to criticize them. Expand
Spazzh20Aug 11, 2015
Here we go again, another Pixar movie that relies on over the top archetypes instead of characters and has no originality whatsoever. This should be fun.

You know I grew up with Pixar back in the late 1990’s and let me tell you the kid in me wants to like them but the objective critic in me can’t stand them. The last film they made that I thoroughly enjoyed was Up and that came out back in 2009. They’re like Activision and Call of Duty now, it’s the same thing every time.

Also If you check their wikipedia page then You will see that they haven’t got anything new planned for the next 3 years. Finding Dory, Toy Story 4, Cars 3. (Wasn't the second one bad enough.)

Why not give their franchises to another animation studio to make an animated series based on these movies like Buzz lightyear of star command instead of constantly going back to the the things that we’ve all seen before. Don’t get me wrong as long as the movie is good that’s all that matters in the end. Even though Call Of Duty is the same game every year at least it’s fun. (Though Ghosts was a big disappointment)

But it seems like Pixar is trying too hard to attract a crowd of new kids without even thinking about the kids that loved them back in the 90’s. I mean Toy Story 3 was essentially Toy Story 2 again just in a different coat.

Open up the movie with a large scale action sequence that is later revealed to be a figment of someone’s imagination, introduce the idea that toys don’t last forever, There is a misunderstanding in which the toy(s) are mistakenly put in a position where the unwanted toys are supposed to be, The toys get placed in new environments meeting new characters, one of them being a jolly plump toy who wields a cane. this toy is later revealed to be an antagonist fueled by the traumatization of being abandoned by their former owner taking his anger out on others, The seemingly good hearted toy convinces the other toys to stay with promises of being loved for generations, A delusional factory setting Buzz lightyear locks up the Protagonist(s) , the protagonists enter a large scale industrial contraption where the antagonists is disposed of and left in the care of another person. That is the plot for both Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3.

And now as if that wasn’t bad enough since Toy Story is so popular Pixar seems to think that all of their franchises should be like Toy Story. Lets take their new movie Inside Out for example. If I were to tell you that there was a Pixar character who all the other characters only exist to look out for their well being but at the same time they’re not aware of their sentience, the entire plot is affected by them moving to a different city, they also have to deal with growing up and leaving their childhood in the past, who am I talking about? I’m talking about Andy from Toy Story right? I’m also talking about Riley from Inside Out, because when you think about it they’re the exact same person.

Now if it were just the unoriginal characters I could over look this film. Unfortunately there are a lot of other things wrong with this movie. The main human character Riley doesn’t get anywhere near enough screen time. The whole movie revolves around what a person would be like if they were limited to the amount of emotions they had, but other than not getting along well with her parents we don’t get to see much of her personality. We don’t even get to know much about the people in her environment. There was one point in the film where she starts crying in class and is embarrassed that the cool kids saw her cry. I was thinking that this would make for some great social interaction but we never see them again. The movie isn’t a complete dud though, it shows that even negative emotions have their place and reason for being. It kind of reminded me about a game called Sonic Shuffle. At first everyone is angry at the antagonist Void for making people dream negative thoughts but at the end it is revealed that negative emotions give people strength and that people need to feel all sorts of emotions in order to truly experience all that life has to offer.

When all's said and done I can recommend this movie as a time waster, something for you to take your kids to. But If you are looking for something deep and meaningful then go watch something else. Overall Score 5/10
43in2014Sep 25, 2015
While the film may have great conceptual ideas, it failed in presenting the ideas in a sufficiently entertaining way. Children and some teenagers would not understand half of the concepts because it is too adult for them. Children who haveWhile the film may have great conceptual ideas, it failed in presenting the ideas in a sufficiently entertaining way. Children and some teenagers would not understand half of the concepts because it is too adult for them. Children who have watched it with me did not rave about the film at the end. Mature adults who have watched it with me were ambivalent at the end. The film is also insufficiently funny and would not satisfy all children, teenagers and young adults.

Who would think the film is great? Mature adults who see a deeper meaning in the story.
Who would think the film is only so-so? From children to young adults.
Who would think the film is lousy? No one.

Score: 3/5 (No half score). Save your money and watch it on TV.
Dal_ReviewedDatSep 21, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My First film review on Metacritic - I'm a movie goer but I don't really care enough to comment on most.

Inside Out -

I've watched pretty much every Pixar film there is, having a young daughter means we watch anything that comes up. This years 'HOME' by dream-works my daughter is still currently obsessed with, and I've watched it well over 100 times sort-of-thing... painful but it's bearable still today, just!
I was hoping for much the same from Pixars latest offering.

For me, an Adult, this film was either a 9 or a 10. There's a lot of in-humour aimed at parents and I was happy to laugh at these parts, but my god, for a children's film, this is one onslaught of misery. My daughter finished watching this film confused and I think genuinely upset.

The plot is a growing-of-age story whereby the main character, an eleven year old girl, moves towns and loses everything that her former home had with it. The main charisma character that controls her brain alongside 'sadness' get lost in her long-term memory, and from thereon it's one bad thing happening after another to the main character as the personalities left controlling her brain fail in every situation after, while the lost items themselves stumble from one tragic loss to the next, such as losing the memory of her childhood friend (who is literally erased from existence) - I'm not keen on death as a theme within kids films, it's not easily approached and leads to uncomfortable questions.

I'm rating this film down as it's not really a kids film at all. I think of those films I watched over and over in my childhood (which haven't become sad memories now!!) and they all had that Spielberg magic, charm and adventure. This film as a film for a
TheEpicestGuyJul 27, 2015
this is a mediocre movie that takes the premise of Herman's head and gives it the good old predictable Pixar formula. Don't let this review ruin your enjoyment of the movie but don't act like it should win best picture or anything.
Chilly64Aug 2, 2015
Myself, my wife and our 2 kids went to see this last week and none of us thought it was great.
I found it extremely boring and my kids barely cracked a smile the whole way through!
We love all these animation movies but were left
We love all these animation movies but were left disappointed by this one.
There are some good moments here and there, but too few.
IloveJbalof1Aug 2, 2015
It was good but not what I thought it was going to be. It was way over kids heads not a good family film. If it was going to be a good family film put stuff in it that kids will love
HelloMisterSep 3, 2015
Inside Out took five years for the producers to make.
It also took 5 years until something actually happened in the movie.
Inside Out took five years for the producers to make.
It also took 5 years until something actually happened in the movie.

Overall it is a decent movie but incredibly slow paced. Pixar definitely makes better movies then Disney... there is always more meaning and depth. However something was missing. It ended up being a slow paced Alice in wonderland (where unneeded situations were added to make a story). It that was enjoyable but, to boring to watch a second time.
OzzieVikingOct 8, 2015
Great movie but I don't understand the hype and praise. This really is Pixar trying to make people think that they have little people in their head that control them. And this is why people think Autistic kids are dumb. Blegh.
JolienPeutemanAug 13, 2015
Loved this movie and I cried but I'm giving it a 6 because I expected more. It felt a bit one-sided so to speak. I was expecting more character and that the story would cover several years of her life struggling with depression. Other thanLoved this movie and I cried but I'm giving it a 6 because I expected more. It felt a bit one-sided so to speak. I was expecting more character and that the story would cover several years of her life struggling with depression. Other than what was it? 1 week? Expand
RatedRexJan 7, 2016
"Inside Out" was decent, but nothing spectacular. It was somewhat overwritten and somewhat over-produced. Plus, it was too talky and a little too sophisticated for young kids. Pixar has had a few nice features. Their animation is outstanding, But for the most part they are a little overrated. Their story lines are just so-so. Brave, Up, Cars, Cars 2, Monsters University, Ratatouille, were all too slow for kids (and for a lot of adults). Heck, to be honest, I've NEVER been blown away by any of Pixar's features. However, their movies are just good enough to make me want to see the next one.
Bmeyer8Apr 5, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie was ok. It was pretty funny and some touching parts, however it was also a bit corny. My dad loved the movie, but some corny parts in the movie were during the journey through Riley's mind with hand-drawn animation and the post-credits scenes with emotions inside other people's heads. Expand
CurryLord21Jan 21, 2017
Although the idea is original, and the characters new and familiar at the same time, it suffers from trying to include too many side stories and characters, that ends up in a jumble of plots and a mess of a story. But, fans of Disney andAlthough the idea is original, and the characters new and familiar at the same time, it suffers from trying to include too many side stories and characters, that ends up in a jumble of plots and a mess of a story. But, fans of Disney and Pixar collaborations, will be sure to enjoy the visuals and the laughs (possibly all the story has to offer?). Expand
buzzsparkApr 15, 2018
The scenes outside of Riley's head are remarkable, involving the kind of emotional depth always associated with Pixar. But after trudging through the bland and forgettable buddy road trip sections, it just comes down to ..eh.