Lionsgate | Release Date: October 11, 2019
2.9
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 27 Ratings
Watch Now
ComedyIsDeadOct 11, 2019
This movie wasted my time, it's not funny and takes a creative concept and makes it toilet humor. It's not engaging and no likeable characters. Comedies have gone to the crapper as of late, 2019 audiences were exposed to crap like this,This movie wasted my time, it's not funny and takes a creative concept and makes it toilet humor. It's not engaging and no likeable characters. Comedies have gone to the crapper as of late, 2019 audiences were exposed to crap like this, Stuber, The Hustlers and ect. This movie doesn't engage the audience and wasted a novel idea. Expand
SeriouslyTho_Oct 19, 2019
I hate to say it, but this is quite literally THE *WORST* movie I have ever seen in my life... It’s tragic! A completely failed attempt at “comedy”... LoL
tropicAcesOct 14, 2019
It’s lazy and surface-level as hell, but I’d be lying if I said my audience and I did not laugh a handful of times. I doubt it’s worth your time, but there are more painful movies out there.
temptershellJan 12, 2020
Maybe they were not top-flight jokes but I laughed. Hilarious application voice.
Davrosdaleks1Oct 22, 2019

Jexi is about the titular Siri/Alexa-like phone program (voiced by Rose Byrne) with a mind of her own who ends up wreaking havoc with the life of an introverted phone addict played by Adam Devine. I generally liked this. Jexi makes

Jexi makes this film. Her smack talking brings the biggest laughs. I also appreciated that this avoids some of the cliches you usually get with AI-run-amok films. Jexi lets you know what she is from the get-go. There's no slow burn of her pretending to act regularly or slowly gaining sentience. However, her arc does become more predictable in the second half.

They really didn't have to hire a known actor to do this. Plenty of people could've easily spoken in a phone-like voice without vocal change. Still, I do admit that Byrne does a good job. I also liked the usually more over-the-top Devine who does a good job with a more subdued role. (This is especially a relief because I didn't think he did a great job in his last straight man role in Isn't it Romantic.)

Understand that this movie works more on a feel-good level than a laugh-a-minute one. Jexi is in about every other scene. When she isn't there, some people may find some of the scenes, many of them involving Devine's character predictably growing as a person, too leisurely for their taste.

This film is a little lightweight. It's not something you need to see immediately, but it's worth giving a chance sometime.
JLuis_001Jan 8, 2020
Why does Adam Devine still get leading roles?
I mean he's like Rebel Wilson, playing the same character over and over again.
CheyanneNov 11, 2019
I like you'er movie a lot it was funny awesome made me laugh and fall of of my sit I am hoping that i will own it and watch it again
DelodienFeb 8, 2020
TL;DR - 8/10 - A very funny comedy, one where you don't have to think too much and can easily just chill and laugh and take in frankly a good story too.
------
I had never heard of this film before I saw a random advert for it so I had no
------
I had never heard of this film before I saw a random advert for it so I had no preconceptions going into it, I didn't even realise it was a rom-com before starting it.

Jexi is by no means "high brow" comedy, you won't get any intelligent jokes but this in no way means this is a bad film, in fact I enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.

The "romance" part of the film was fairly cliche, boy meets attractive girl, boy lacks confidence, sequence of events starts the relationship...the difference is that the sequence of events is a borderline psychotic phone AI that "wants to make your life better"

Jexi being the titular character really makes this film (and honestly that's kind of the point...) an AI that takes control of your life in an effort to make it better, with the digital world being so connected now, it makes sense that Jexi would have access to your bank accounts, email accounts etc. and can do whatever it wants should it wanted to.

The interactions between Jexi and Phil (Jexi's owner) are frankly brilliant, as I mentioned before, don't expect jokes that will make you think to get to the punchline, honestly about 75% of the humour is basically Jexi abusing Phil, and if that's your thing then it's hilarious. I can understand why some people don't have this type of sense of humour but the ratings it's received I feel are quite harsh on this front.

As cliche as the story is, it's a very good and modern take on your typical rom-com, and as a side effect does make you think somewhat about how much you use your own devices on a daily basis.