Artisan Entertainment | Release Date: September 20, 2002
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 6 Ratings
Watch Now
AmarisSep 9, 2018
I consider this a rather sweet film, and one of the better vehicles to show your friends if you want them to better understand your beliefs. Joshua is a quiet film, with more character moments than thrill ride sequences, which is why I likeI consider this a rather sweet film, and one of the better vehicles to show your friends if you want them to better understand your beliefs. Joshua is a quiet film, with more character moments than thrill ride sequences, which is why I like it. I am a firm believer in the idea that a film about personal faith should engage in personal lives rather than trying to be a blockbuster explosion fest. F. Murray Abraham is wonderful in the film, and is reason enough to watch it if you're on the fence. Of course, I'm a big fan of lovable lugs, which means I cotton on to Kurt Fuller's "Father Pat" right away, because he's just a sweet, lovable human being who sees people as the human beings they are, without ascribing to them greater demands than what they can be.

Tony Goldwyn plays the role of Joshua, and I think he does a fine job. He plays his character with quiet dignity, compassion, mercy, and kindness, all that I look for in a leading role about a man who brings a new understanding of love to a small town. So if you're going to pick a film for your friends to watch, something you want them to enjoy, while still giving them a look into your faith, I think this is the film. I don't put a whole lot of stock in most Christian films, because they do tend to become either cloying, preachy, or absurd, but this one strikes a nice balance, in my opinion, and doesn't do too much, while also letting its message be heard. Recommended.