Lionsgate | Release Date: November 27, 2019
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 711 Ratings
Watch Now
GreatMartinNov 29, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Either I have been going to the movies far too long (80 years) or I have become jaded--maybe a combination of both!

I've seen at least a dozen different films in this genre with one of my favorites being "Murder On The Orient Express" with Ingrid Bergman and Lauren Bacall . It was an Agatha Christie movie made with a group of stars revolving around who committed a murder. In this case the screenplay and direction is by Rian Johnson which brings in some current hot topics like immigrants with references to Lin-Manuel Miranda and a snippet of a song by Steven Sondheim among other things.

The story is basically about patriarch Harlan Thrombey, played by Christopher Plummer, has become a multimillionaire by writing novels. We meet him at his 85th birthday on the night before he accidentally killed himself or was accidentally killed by his Latina immigrant nurse Marta, whose mother is here illegally. She is played by Ana de Armas who, as Marta, is filled with kindness and always throws up when she tells a lie.

In the cast are Daniel Craig who appears as private detective Blanc, hired secretly, and uses a horrible southern accent without reason, Jamie Lee Curtis as Harlan's daughter Linda, married to Don Johnson and they are the parents of 'Ransom' played by Chris Evans. Curtis gives the best performance in the movie,
Michael Shannon as Walt is Harlan's youngest son, is married to Riki Lindhome, playing Donna, and they have a child, Jacob, played by Jaeden Martell, who is sort of an 'odd' bird. Toni Collette is Harlan's daughter-in-law who was married to his deceased son and Harlan's granddaughter Megan, played by Katherine Langford. The latter's character was completely unnecessary to the movie and whose major scene could have been cut without an effect one way or the other except cutting the film down to a 2 hour running time.

Lakeith Stanfield and Noah Segan are detectives involved in the mystery who seem to allow Craig's detective take charge though it really doesn't make sense that they do.

Three other characters are played by Edi Patterson as Fran, Harlan's housekeeper and K Callan as Wanetta, Harlan's mother---remember Harlan is 85!---and Frank Oz as Harlan's lawyer.

The only interesting aspect to me was the Gothic house which has layers of hidden doors, windows and rooms and when you see all the things in the house you will feel sorry for the poor housekeeper!

"Knives Out" was a disappointment to me but in the film's defense most critics seemed to love it!
KlebartNov 27, 2019
Mostly boring. Will be completely forgettable. Save your money. Don't bother.
20 of 42 users found this helpful2022
kcjones704Nov 27, 2019
This was a poorly written/executed movie. You see the culprit from 500 miles away (no surprises). The cinematography & acting were fine...honestly they had a lot of talent but not a lot to work with story-wise. Skip this one...
20 of 42 users found this helpful2022
AaronJupiterNov 28, 2019
Good actors unfortunately in the wrong hands. Rian Johnson, the writer and director should better sell advertisements than make movies.
gankbangerNov 30, 2019
The twist "trope" is abused to the point it becomes predictable and tiresome. I should have waited it for it to come to a stream service.
Erik_Of_BloomNov 27, 2019
I won’t spoil anything for those interested, but what a dumpster fire. Terrible writing and direction, and I mean awful. Paper thin characters who you despise. The only bright point of the entire film is Ana de Armas, but everyone else is inI won’t spoil anything for those interested, but what a dumpster fire. Terrible writing and direction, and I mean awful. Paper thin characters who you despise. The only bright point of the entire film is Ana de Armas, but everyone else is in forgettable at best. Really just an atrocious film and maybe the worst directed I’ve ever seen. Expand
19 of 41 users found this helpful1922
GhostRailsNov 28, 2019
Every time I thought this movie was maybe going to get a Lil better, it just got a little worse. It did that until the end. I didn't even care who dun it by then. Whoever directed this isn't qualified to run the food table lead alone any more movies.
zabe73Nov 27, 2019
Zero surprises in this 'who dun it'. The actors did their best with what they had to work with, but the script, story and direction was very amateurish. I don't know who the director was, but I would not be surprised if this was his/her firstZero surprises in this 'who dun it'. The actors did their best with what they had to work with, but the script, story and direction was very amateurish. I don't know who the director was, but I would not be surprised if this was his/her first movie, like ever. He/she should not be allowed to make more movies and let the adults handle things in the future. Expand
arkady313Nov 27, 2019
Anything Rian Johnson does is not worth your time. Skip this movie and save your money for the new Star Wars.
19 of 49 users found this helpful1930
jchsrNov 27, 2019
This is basically one long SJW virtue-signaling propaganda piece. If you're a Democrat, you'll probably love this.
nmuldoonNov 27, 2019
What’s been part of the fun of following Rian Johnson’s career over the last 15 years is seeing just which genre Johnson will choose to tackle next. Ever since his debut, Rian Johnson has proven himself as a scholar of genre filmmaking;What’s been part of the fun of following Rian Johnson’s career over the last 15 years is seeing just which genre Johnson will choose to tackle next. Ever since his debut, Rian Johnson has proven himself as a scholar of genre filmmaking; showing not only a keen knowledge of the rules each genre but how to update them. Sometimes this was trading the seedy nightclubs and political offices of 40’s noir for the lunchroom tables of different social cliques as in ‘Brick’ or updating the social politics of a galaxy far far away in ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’. Rian Johnson has always found a way to tell new stories in the medium of something old-fashioned. Knives Out, his latest, repeats this trick to perhaps its greatest effect yet.

Knives Out is in a lot of ways a classic whodunnit, it follows an eccentric detective, Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig, reprising his Southern drawl from ‘Logan Lucky’) as he investigates the death of a wealthy crime fiction novelist, Harlan Thrombley (Christopher Plummer), and questions the family of suspects who could have murdered him. Rian Johnson’s film pays homage to the work of Agatha Christie with every staple that Christie purists could hope for, - the larger-than-life cast of suspects, the old ornate Victorian home, the big reveal scene where our brilliant detective puts everything together - and yet Knives Out feels completely fresh.

What Knives Out does is update the whodunnit genre to make is distinctly American and show what our society looks like in a post-Trump world. Rian Johnson’s film in a lot of ways is not too different from Jordan Peele’s ‘Get Out’, as a genre film that’s a trojan horse, in this case to talk about class and privilege in America. Similar to Peele’s film, Knives Out also shows a boldness in calling out the hypocrisies and ignorance of those on both sides of the political aisle. As we meet character after character in the Thrombley family, each is eager to proudly claim full credit for their own personal success while comically defensive of how they obtained it. Meanwhile the film juxtaposes this with the character of Marta, (Ana de Armas) Harlan’s caretaker, a young hard-working Latina woman who perhaps was the only one who truly cared about Harlan. Throughout the film, the Thrombleys continue to tell Blanc how Marta is just like family to them while we see her constantly condescended and ignored. A very sharp reoccurring joke even features each Thrombley with a completely different answer (Ecuador, Uruguay, Brazil) for where they think Marta’s family immigrated from. The way these distinctions Rian Johnson creates in class and privilege only deepen as the central mystery reveals itself creates a keenly observed snapshot of our contemporary culture. In some ways, this may actually be Johnson’s greatest homage to Agatha Christie, as she too, was an author who used her work to also critique the society of her era.

Knives Out has a distinct sense of tone unique for the genre. While the whodunnit has seen several serious adaptation like ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ and ‘Death on the Nile’, and camp parodies like ‘Clue, and ‘Murder by Death’ - Johnson’s film falls somewhere right between. Knives Out is a film that takes its mystery and air of suspense seriously, but has fun undercutting it by finding the comedy in it’s heightened characters and ridiculous circumstances. In a lot of ways it’s a similar approach to genre that his contemporary Edgar Wright (who even gets a small shout out) has taken in the past with films like ‘Shaun of the Dead’ and ‘Hot Fuzz. These are films with a deep regard toward their genre and influences looking to create something in their tradition while finding a new comedic take on it.

It feels somewhat perfect that Knives Out would be released on Thanksgiving, the film echoes the very conversations many Americans are having with their families around dinner tables this week but manages to illustrate them in the most entertaining way possible. It’s no hyperbole to say that this film is one of the most fun experiences I’ve had at the cinema in recent years. Rian Johnson’s latest is a genre exercise that is thrilling, hilarious, and has more than a few things to say. Knives Out is not just the perfect entertainment for your holiday weekend, it’s one of the best films of the year.
JoeCoolDec 26, 2019
Knives Out is really good. It's an intriguing and fun whodunnit. Well acted, the plot is a bit farfetched but it still turns out rather well. One of the better movies of the year. I'd give it an 8.5 if I could, but I'm gonna go with a 9Knives Out is really good. It's an intriguing and fun whodunnit. Well acted, the plot is a bit farfetched but it still turns out rather well. One of the better movies of the year. I'd give it an 8.5 if I could, but I'm gonna go with a 9 because it was really, really entertaining. Expand
leewweDec 30, 2019
Great flick, funny dialogue and performances. Craig was very giving his all in this movie. Will recommend!
WizzleMar 10, 2020
Interesting who-done-it with many plot twists and surprises. It is a movie that will be watched more than once with enjoyment.
SoulstoneMar 19, 2020
Even if you are someone that thinks Rian Johnson is the Antichrist to anything related to Star Wars, you shouldn't let that keep you from checking out his latest whodunit, Knives Out, because it is really good. It has excellent acting fromEven if you are someone that thinks Rian Johnson is the Antichrist to anything related to Star Wars, you shouldn't let that keep you from checking out his latest whodunit, Knives Out, because it is really good. It has excellent acting from everyone, but the two biggest standouts, to me, were Ana de Armes and Chris Evans. Armes' performance was so real and fresh that there is an argument to be made that wasn't acting, and that was actually her as a person; and, you can tell Chris Evans had a lot of fun playing Ransom, and steering away from being Captain America (who he was phenomenal as) and getting to play a sarcastic douchebag. And, unlike a lot of recent whodunits, this movie actually had some very well-executed surprises (no spoilers). And, above all, this movie was hilarious, especially towards the end. Rian Johnson did a fantastic job on this movie. Don't let your hate for The Last Jedi get in the way of checking this movie out. Expand
RanGom007Feb 24, 2020
Strikingly.. This movie surprised me ! Ryan Johnson shot a very interesting and exciting picture. Definitely worthy of attention
August49Jan 26, 2020
Very over-rated movie despite an all-star cast and Craig's accent was terrible.
BulgarianCriticDec 30, 2019
Yeah this was pretty ok to watch.Some of the scenes stretched out for too long but overall the acting was super(i mean from the entire cast can you expect anything less?)the mystery was alright and the comedy was ok.
mrc_brnDec 5, 2019
Very entertaining movie. Was expecting a quirkier movie based on the trailer, but it the characters and plot were much more .. normal. Some funny moments in the movie and the story is told with great flair. The characters are all interestingVery entertaining movie. Was expecting a quirkier movie based on the trailer, but it the characters and plot were much more .. normal. Some funny moments in the movie and the story is told with great flair. The characters are all interesting and well played, and all in all I thought it was just a good flick. Not sure why Daniel Craig had to muster a southern accent, his own would have been just as good, but that's just nitpicking. I would recommend for anyone wanting to go see a old-fashioned kind of 'who done it'. Good movie, well made. Expand
ajzeg01Jan 10, 2020
From the director of The Last Jedi comes another great movie! Yes, I said that. Screw you guys. Knives Out is a wildly creative, fun and, yes, subversive whodunnit murder mystery! Knives Out features and excellent ensemble cast and aFrom the director of The Last Jedi comes another great movie! Yes, I said that. Screw you guys. Knives Out is a wildly creative, fun and, yes, subversive whodunnit murder mystery! Knives Out features and excellent ensemble cast and a compelling narrative filled with twists and turns! One of the most entertaining, politically/socially relevant and original films I saw this year. It’s nice to have a mystery movie not based on a book so everyone doesn’t already know who did it going in. I actually don’t know how much I want to say about this movie, there’s not much I can really say about it without giving away major spoilers. I’d say just go out and see it for yourself. It’s really good, you’ll have a TON of fun! Get to the theatre early, it’s still selling out over a month after releasing! I’m so happy it’s doing so well, it’s a real crowd pleaser. I guess it really was Star Wars fans that were the problem after all. Good to know. Expand
Alejandrosel_18Dec 6, 2019
Divertido y bastante ingenioso en varias escenas a pesar de su inicio lento sabe redimirse mientras avanza, destaco a Daniel _Craig, Chris Evan y Ana de armas, el resto del cast a pesar de su poco protagonismo son divertidos de ver, una buenaDivertido y bastante ingenioso en varias escenas a pesar de su inicio lento sabe redimirse mientras avanza, destaco a Daniel _Craig, Chris Evan y Ana de armas, el resto del cast a pesar de su poco protagonismo son divertidos de ver, una buena entrega de Rian Johnson para cerrar este año. Expand
kozel1Dec 27, 2019
Let the mystery begin! When you sit down you kinda know what to expect if you watched the trailer, but at the same time you have no idea what's going to happen next. Whenever a question is answered in the story, another one right away arise.Let the mystery begin! When you sit down you kinda know what to expect if you watched the trailer, but at the same time you have no idea what's going to happen next. Whenever a question is answered in the story, another one right away arise.
The story gives you the classic "this is my main suspect" phenomena to pick your guilty party when you conduct your own "investigation" during the dialogues, but obviously you can't be sure if you're right or wrong. Cleverly giving out clues during the story progression makes you realize that you may be wrong all along.
I can't remember a period during the movie when I didn't have to pay attention. Everything the characters say and do on screen, adds up to the greater picture.
Great cast and performance from all the actors involved. Excellent entertainment for 2 hours. Well written, great directing along with great music. If you want something different, I highly recommend to check this one out.
JLuis_001Dec 11, 2019
Deceptively simple but strangely addictive and intelligently constructed.

Deceptively simple but strangely addictive and intelligently constructed.

I really didn't know what to expect about this film. I mean I knew the reviews had been good and the truth is that I was really interested because of Rian Johnson and the amazing cast he gathered.

And the film responded with good stuff, at least in my perspective. While it's true that you quickly sense who's responsible, the plot is pretty good and hooks you up since the first minute.
The suspense never falters drastically, with the exception of some slowdowns in the rhythm. Even so, Knives Out it's quite an entertaining experience and I loved that.

Very well done mainstream cinema outside franchises.
It's well known that we need a lot of it, so go watch this film.
Brent_MarchantDec 1, 2019
Despite a number of fine supporting performances (especially Jamie Lee Curtis and Toni Collette) and excellent production values, this overlong, overwritten whodunnit grows tiresome as it goes along, especially in its extended concluding bigDespite a number of fine supporting performances (especially Jamie Lee Curtis and Toni Collette) and excellent production values, this overlong, overwritten whodunnit grows tiresome as it goes along, especially in its extended concluding big reveal sequence (at which point you might not really care what the answer is). As a film that seeks to be both funny and compelling, it often seems to try too hard to be what it aspires to be, carrying an air of smugness about itself as it does so. What's more, a number of characters are seriously underused, and the script for what should be a timeless sort of tale is tarnished by discussions of contemporary topics that ground it in the present, diluting what should be one of the picture's chief defining characteristics. But the biggest issue is a big, gaping, vacuous question that's left unresolved at film's end, one that's sure to leave astute viewers scratching their heads. While the end product is far from awful, it certainly could have been a lot better. Wait for home media on this one. Expand
sshpvDec 6, 2019
Excellent story starring a fantastic cast. One of the best pictures of 2019.
DevilTriggerFeb 11, 2020
Very predictable. I hated it. Filled with One-dimensional characters. Sloppily executes social & political commentary.
ThemBakerBoysNov 29, 2019
I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that more wasn't done with this terrific cast. The movie does deliver on what it promises. It IS a murder mystery with a comedic slant. The problem is that it doesn't doing any one part of itI couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that more wasn't done with this terrific cast. The movie does deliver on what it promises. It IS a murder mystery with a comedic slant. The problem is that it doesn't doing any one part of it particularly well. It really isn't very funny and it really isn't that great a murder mystery. There are several red herrings designed to mislead the audience but we have seen so much of that in the past that it isn't very effective. You would not need to be an amazing detective to figure out the culprit by the midpoint of the movie. Jamie Lee Curtis can be hilariously funny when given the right material and here she and others are criminally under used. Much time is wasted on Ana De Armas who plays the nurse Marta. The camera lingers on her face for far too long and far to often. Combine that with Daniel Craig's painfully slow southern drawl, (which he does NOT nail) and I was often wishing the camera would follow what the more interesting characters were doing.
And of course, being Hollywood, they can't help themselves from bashing Trump, Trump voters, and conservatives in general. The couple in front of us walked out of the theater when things got particularly political about immigration and putting children in cages.
To sum up, very few laugh out loud moments, very little real suspense, some annoying accents and politics, a lot of wasted potential and the result is a movie that will only be remembered for being forgettable. Wait for it to show up on Netflix or something. Not worth theater dollars.
MA2Nov 29, 2019
Once again, Rian Johnson proves himself to be a great director (particularly with visuals) but an absolutely awful writer who’s obsession with exploring social/political themes always comes at the cost of turning almost every plot point andOnce again, Rian Johnson proves himself to be a great director (particularly with visuals) but an absolutely awful writer who’s obsession with exploring social/political themes always comes at the cost of turning almost every plot point and character ark into MacGuffins. For the record, I actually agree with his politics so please don’t @ me. But good stories make for intelligent social commentary, not the other way around.

The cast are brilliant though so that’s something!
agg8877Nov 28, 2019
Más progre mierda Hollywoodense sobre una élite que son ellos mismos, desperdicio de dinero
MovieRiffingDec 1, 2019
Knives Out is a great time through and through. Rian Johnson expertly weaves his mysterious threads to create another fantastic addition to the whodunit genre. The cast joyfully embrace their roles, radiating a playful energy throughout theKnives Out is a great time through and through. Rian Johnson expertly weaves his mysterious threads to create another fantastic addition to the whodunit genre. The cast joyfully embrace their roles, radiating a playful energy throughout the entire film. Just enough structural changes are made to the classic formula to make Knives Out feel fresh and new. A few flat jokes and one minor limp reveal cannot ruin what is otherwise one of 2019's most enjoyable films. Expand
OlivierPielJan 2, 2020
A very pretentious, bloated film that is trying to be tongue in cheek while unsubtly pushing its moralistic "message" about immigration and resorting to the same trope as "Get out" about "white guilt".
The whodunnit is mostly boring, as in
The whodunnit is mostly boring, as in all detective stories. The genius of Agatha Christie or Arthur Conan Doyle was to all so subtly question "Britishness" and its pragmatism, its empiricism and confront continental/French rationalism. It was the clash between Poirot or Holmes with the British police that made it so interesting. The social critique was secondary.
Here we are left with a vague, inaccurate and pretentious "Go game" parable and an ultimate moralistic rubbish "you won by having a good heart". PS: What I find very ironic is how this kind of movie makes fun about the hypocrisy of "white" liberals towards immigration, while I am sure Messrs James Bond guy, Captain America guy and consorts feel so smug and self-satisfied about this film... while probably having in their employ a few servants and modern serfs on meager wages toiling for them directly and indirectly.
BeardedYodaDec 3, 2019
Despite the fact that the acting is spectacular, there are certain points in the story that I found confusing and strange. One reoccurring plot point in particular seemed ridiculous and out of place even though the movie leans on it for theDespite the fact that the acting is spectacular, there are certain points in the story that I found confusing and strange. One reoccurring plot point in particular seemed ridiculous and out of place even though the movie leans on it for the story to work. Expand
BHBarryDec 7, 2019
“Knives Out” was written and directed by Rian Johnson and stars an ensemble cast including Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, Christopher Plummer and an amazing young actress, Ana de Armas. This is an“Knives Out” was written and directed by Rian Johnson and stars an ensemble cast including Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, Christopher Plummer and an amazing young actress, Ana de Armas. This is an old fashioned whodunit a la the style of Agatha Christie with hints of Hitchcock coupled with a screenplay that compels attention and careful concentration by the viewer. Plot twists and sometimes tongue In cheek dialogue make the film worthy of attending. Handled in the direction of another less skilled writer and director, the film might well have crossed the line into silliness and absurdity. Fortunately, it does not.
Although the film itself is not momentous and could be criticized for being longer than it should be, when all is said and done, the film works. I give it an 8 for affording the audience the opportunity to have a light and entertaining theatrical experience.
zacharyhasDec 26, 2019
A decent whodunnit with a stellar cast of characters. I had some issues with the film overall but it's very much worth a watch, I don't think it has as much bite as Rian Johnson's previous works such a Looper, Brick or The Last Jedi
ZZBEARDec 22, 2019
meh, not a complete waste of time like his Starwars floater but still an just an OK meh smirk movie.
samoan62Dec 9, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie starts out well but then delves into a completely nonsensical plot full of inconsistencies. The ending does manage to wrap a handful of those up justifying much of what happened but there were still glaring problems in the resolution. 1. By far the biggest problem was how incompetent and foolish Daniel Craig and the other officers acted throughout the film. They make Marta part of the case even though she's a suspect and watch twice as she "accidentally" destroys evidence and respond only with an "aw, shucks". After following her in a brief car chase Daniel Craig actually gets in her car like nothing happened and has her drive. He even lets her get out of the for "errands" while she actually meets someone else not suspecting a thing. There's no way real life cops would ever be that stupid. Aside from that they are remarkable push-overs for cops. The family ignores their orders constantly and treats them like morons. Try that with cops in real life lol.

They try and justify all this by revealing how Daniel Craig actually suspected her from the start, but all he had to go off of was a small drop of blood on her shoe which could've came from anything or have easily been barbecue sauce. Total nonsense.

2. Thrombey advises Marta on what to do after accidentally poisoning him because he doesn't want to draw attention to her since she's an illegal immigrant and doing so would likely get her deported. However before all of that he left all of his inheritance to her which would've had the same effect. His actions are inconsistent.

3. Why did the maid who was blackmailing Ransom choose to meet him in a warehouse completely unarmed? I would've probably at least taken a knife if I was planning on threatening Captain America.

There are numerous other holes, but these were by far the ones that were the most egregious to me as I watched the movie. Most movies have plotholes but having ones this big and glaring especially when the movies is a whodunnit where you are supposed to be nitpicking really ruin the movie. The ending was actually tied up surprisingly well and parts of the middle were enjoyable, but overall this movie is a mess. Johnson's signature seems to be "subverting expectations". However it seems like he's overextended himself and ended up creating a movie full of contradictions. The Last Jedi was similarly a mess, but this movie actually does go somewhere and isn't a slogfest. Would recommend if you're able to shut your brain off for 2 hours.
TVJerryNov 28, 2019
Chock a film full of talented actors having a great time being mean or eccentric, add a clever plot peppered with plenty of cynical humor, and you get this delightful whodunit. The patriarch of a spoiled family (Christopher Plummer) is foundChock a film full of talented actors having a great time being mean or eccentric, add a clever plot peppered with plenty of cynical humor, and you get this delightful whodunit. The patriarch of a spoiled family (Christopher Plummer) is found dead on his 85th birthday and, of course, everyone has a motive. Enter a debonair Southern detective (Daniel Craig chewing up that accent) to solve the case. Chris Evans is especially enjoyable as the haughty, hateful grandson, while Toni Collette's new age entrepreneur is a hoot. (It's also a treat to see Frank Oz as the attorney.) The mystery keeps surprising right up til the end with lots of smart dialogue and stylish direction by Rian Johnson. Expand
masscraftDec 31, 2019
THE slowest, most tediously boring and needlessly drawn out movie I've ever watched. The dialogue went on and on and on. Plot developed at a glacial pace. Never thought this stupendously overwrought pathetic attempt at intrigue would everTHE slowest, most tediously boring and needlessly drawn out movie I've ever watched. The dialogue went on and on and on. Plot developed at a glacial pace. Never thought this stupendously overwrought pathetic attempt at intrigue would ever end. The murder mystery genre is ruined for me forever. Expand
cinemaquoteDec 29, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the migration subtext in this movie is sheer idiocy. not even the stellar cast saves this crashed and sorry version of a whodoneit. the fake accents, the fake tans, the evident machinery and evidently the inapt director deliver such a sorry flick not even a film. a waste of the viewer's patience. Expand
KeithDowDec 2, 2019
Ignore any noise being spouted from jaded ‘Star Wars’ fanboys. Rian Johnson is among the finest filmmakers currently working in Hollywood.

Consider his resume: he wrote and directed ‘Brick;’ he wrote and directed ‘The Brothers Bloom;’ he wrote and directed ‘Looper;’ he directed the Breaking Bad episodes ‘Fly,’ ‘Fifty-One,’ and ‘Ozymandias;’ and most recently he wrote and directed easily the best murder-mystery of the year, ‘Knives Out.’

The plot is dense and brilliantly serpentine—just as one should expect from a quintessential film of the genre—taking on the characteristics of an ouroboros.

Each of the characters in the film are familiar, flawed, and driven by their own delightfully selfish motivations.

But it’s the writing—oh the wonderful writing!—that makes this picture as powerful and poetic as it is. From the plot to the dialogue to the very last gasps of the denouement, Johnson keeps the audience completely rapt and on the edge of their seats wishing the saga could somehow continue ad infinitum.
Krnz28Nov 30, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wasn't sure if this movie was supposed to be funny or not. Some parts were overly corny like the main character she was ridiculous . I liked Daniel Craig's part and Christopher Plummer's part, but if it was supposed to be funny most of the people in our theater and I would say at least a 100 didn't get it that way all the way through . So it was pretty good as far as new material but lacking as far as hitting the nail on the head. And yep a bit like clue only they told you who don't right off the bat.. Expand
EvilnerdwizardNov 27, 2019
I wasn't expecting too much from the movie, but it actually turned out to be a lot of fun. The acting was good, and I felt rewarded for paying attention. I'd see it again!
Davrosdaleks1Nov 29, 2019
Back in the days of black-and-white, mystery films were quite common but as the years went by, they became less and less common with the mystery genre becoming the domain of television. This is a pity, because I like an old-fashioned mystery.Back in the days of black-and-white, mystery films were quite common but as the years went by, they became less and less common with the mystery genre becoming the domain of television. This is a pity, because I like an old-fashioned mystery. Between this movie and Murder on the Orient Express, it's nice to see the genre make a comeback. Director/writer Rian Johnson was definitely trying to evoke an old school mystery film with this homage, and after seeing the trailers, I definitely wanted to see this. I even went to a farther away early access screening because I couldn't wait. I'm pleased to say this definitely met my expectations.

Knives Out is just a really well told movie. For 2 hr., 10 min., this is finely paced and edited. Johnson really knows how to steer the story, especially the beginning and introduction to the facts of the case.

Besides being a mystery, this movie is also a critique of privilege, which I felt Johnson managed to not beat the audience over the head with. The movie also has a good sense of humor.

The suspects consist of the Thrombey family, who from one extent to another all have leeched off of the money and success of patriarch and mystery writer Harlan Thrombey. They are such a delightfully self-entitled but diverse group of larger-than-life dysfunctional people. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get more of them. (Ana de Armas' Marta Cabrera, Harlan's personal nurse, is the actual star of the film.) I especially thought that Linda Drysdale (Jamie Lee Curtis) is given short shrift.

The cast is excellent all the way through, and I just don't have time to mention everyone. The best performance is by Daniel Craig as Southern gentlemen detective Benoit Blanc. He just kills it as the eccentric and well-spoken detective. I also appreciate that Benoit isn't portrayed as a socially awkward, mircaulous wunderkind as is often the case with detectives these days. Benoit is definitely the smartest guy in the room, but solving the case is real work for him. Again, this is Ana's story. The trailers make Benoit look like the lead. Just don't want you to have false expectations. He is one of the biggest players, make no mistakes.

The movie looks great. The Thrombey estate is delightfully grand and old-fashioned looking and is decorated with a wide assortment of mystery-themed or antiquated bric-a-brac. The outfits all look great as well.

There is only one thing about this movie that bothered me. The score tries for a classic mystery feel to it but tries too hard. A couple times it felt like they were just blasting the music in my face.

Overall, this is just a very entertaining movie and definitely something for mystery fans.
SJBailey780Nov 28, 2019
Knives Out is one of the most fun movies of the last couple of years and one of the best movies of the year. Don’t listen to the angry Star Wars fans you probably haven’t seen the movie.
mstiversNov 27, 2019
This was a delicious homage to and extension of the Agatha Christie tradition. All the clues are there for you to find the solution. The acting and art direction are delicious, and I found the final twist to be both totally surprising andThis was a delicious homage to and extension of the Agatha Christie tradition. All the clues are there for you to find the solution. The acting and art direction are delicious, and I found the final twist to be both totally surprising and completely believable. That's quite rare. It's mildly thrilling, with quite a few laughs and cultural references. Expand
mclay16375Dec 3, 2019
Really hated this film. What's started off as an interesting and plausible story with good acting and great characters --devolved into a completely unbelievable and ridiculous plot. The minute that one character revealed that sheReally hated this film. What's started off as an interesting and plausible story with good acting and great characters --devolved into a completely unbelievable and ridiculous plot. The minute that one character revealed that she "compulsively vomited when an untruth was told," I was disappointed and lost interest. Story became completely unconvincing. Expand
GinaKNov 28, 2019
If you like the many films that have taken on Agatha Christie’s whodunits, you should have some fun at this film. It’s not great, but the acting is excellent (especially Daniel Craig and Toni Collette) and the skill of the actors kept meIf you like the many films that have taken on Agatha Christie’s whodunits, you should have some fun at this film. It’s not great, but the acting is excellent (especially Daniel Craig and Toni Collette) and the skill of the actors kept me interested. The plot moves along and keeps you (or at least it kept me) guessing with its twists and turns. I also liked the film because it was made to entertain and that’s perfect for a holiday weekend. Expand
FranzHcriticNov 30, 2019
I was expecting it to be a better, owing to its trailer putting Daniel Craig as the front and center of the film. Despite the misleading marketing, 'Knives Out' was still a well-written and performed whodunit, with a terrific ensemble and aI was expecting it to be a better, owing to its trailer putting Daniel Craig as the front and center of the film. Despite the misleading marketing, 'Knives Out' was still a well-written and performed whodunit, with a terrific ensemble and a surprisingly clever twist at the end. I would say that some scenes could have been longer and others shouldn't have been there at all. It was still a fun and clever film in the spirit of Agatha Christie, and Rian Johnson can move on from 'The Last Jedi' with this. Expand
moviemitch96Nov 28, 2019
I'm usually a sap for a great murder mystery, and the all-star cast in this really intrigued me! So I figured I'd give it a go. I honestly can't talk about the story very much without spoiling anything, so I'll just talk about the story andI'm usually a sap for a great murder mystery, and the all-star cast in this really intrigued me! So I figured I'd give it a go. I honestly can't talk about the story very much without spoiling anything, so I'll just talk about the story and cast here. It's a great cast as you can tell by the poster, but as far as scene-stealers go, Daniel Craig steals this one as the rather humorous detective working the case. The cast as a whole is what made this film as fun as it was for the most part. Everybody was definitely on their A-game here! Storywise, it pretty much follows a lot of standard murder mystery tropes and plot points, to my disappointment, cause I was hoping for something slightly more fresh and different here. I also felt a bit underwhelmed with the third act personally and saw a couple "twists" coming from pretty far away. Overall, there's fun to be had here, but in my opinion, it settled for a mostly familiar setup and story, and played out a little more predictably than I was expecting and hoping for. If anything, see it for the great, even sometimes hilarious performances from the whole cast. Expand
CinemaCrushDec 29, 2019
We've seen this before, many times. It was once called Clue, then it was done again quite brilliantly for it's time by Lumet. It was called Murder on the Orient Express that time around. This time, Rian Johnson gives you what he normally hasWe've seen this before, many times. It was once called Clue, then it was done again quite brilliantly for it's time by Lumet. It was called Murder on the Orient Express that time around. This time, Rian Johnson gives you what he normally has to offer. Something pro looking for the people that just can't do the new-wave of cinema. This is a great film for people that don't like when movies just end (and need something bluntly climactic), getting annoyed at the open endings of 'No Country For Old Men', 'There Will Be Blood', any Spring Breakers, etc etc... It might be stylized to the tune of a 2019 film, but just as in 'Brick', Johnson cannot for the life of him decide what kind of reality this takes place in. Is it ours? One might get the feeling that it's meant to be a hyper-realistic play on our reality with a little Hollywood action spice. Not a bad recipe if you do it right. Johnson does not do it right. This film, just like 'Brick' creates a reality that is surely having an identity crisis. Good angular editing with some imagery that is more so eye grabbing than it is specifically profound. Michael Shannon I feel is held back by the script. And Daniel Craig really could have pulled off something great if it wasn't so flat as a whole. I feel bad at the great work put in by some of these amazing actors, all falling flat on such a script. - Another relic re-birthed for a new generation. You might see it up for some hokey awards like the Oscars or Globes, ones that are televised and who's purpose is to rake in ratings (money). Alas it is too two dimensional to be winning things at Cannes or big time fests. This will be one of those films that will be on weekend non-cable channels all the time, in about 10 years. This is the type of movie I say might not be a waste of money, but it certainly won't cut the test of time. Go to Lumet for than. Rian Johnson; another swing and a miss! Expand
SSH83Jan 3, 2020
The Last Jedi is made by the same writer/director? Something is afoot.
The Last Jedi is made by the same writer/director? Something is afoot.
Rian's signature style is at full force. A simple, classic premise that is layered with quirky intrique. You're bombarded with curious red herring in between actual clues. While I agree that there are much better crime mysteries. Rian Johnson is really carving out his own style/sub-genre similar to what Tarantino did for himself.
manningn15Nov 30, 2019
Knives Out is my favorite black comedy movie of all time, my favorite comedy movie of 2019, my 3rd favorite comedy movie of all time, one of my top 10 favorite movies of 2019, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The acting wasKnives Out is my favorite black comedy movie of all time, my favorite comedy movie of 2019, my 3rd favorite comedy movie of all time, one of my top 10 favorite movies of 2019, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The acting was exceptional especially from Ana de Armas, Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Collette, Michael Shannon, Katherine Langford, Christopher Plummer, K Callan, Noah Segan, Don Johnson, Lakeith Stanfield, and Jaeden Martell. The writing was phenomenal, it was funny, dark, and had a terrific twist. The music was outstanding. The costumes were spectacular especially the ones that Jamie Lee Curtis, Daniel Craig, Toni Collette, Chris Evans, Christopher Plummer, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon, Lakeith Stanfield, and Katherine Langford. The makeup and hairstyling was stupendous especially on Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Collette, Ana de Armas, Katherine Langford, Don Johnson, Chris Evans, Michael Shannon, and Daniel Craig. This movie outshined my expectations and is a for sure A+ movie. Expand
dunnyoneDec 30, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this a f---ing joke? 80% here, 90%+ on RT... this film is not smart. It reveals its plot in the first 10-20 minutes (the entire plot, no joke). Acting is terrible (cringe level) with endless talking and NONE of it is funny or entertaining. This Rian Johnson dude, keep him FAR away from films. He sucks. Expand
nanohulkDec 8, 2019
Incredible I love it, is one of the best movies of this year it’s funny, intelligent and I think this movie has to be nominated for best screenplay
BlanasNov 30, 2019
Good idea, good story, good execution. Story is logical, is possible to deduce who is bad but it is not easy. Not for Marvel like movies fans.
timmytimeNov 30, 2019
Easily the best movie this year along with Parasite. Satisfying political satire and playing with murder mystery conventions. Enjoyable on every level. I love movies that keep switching up what they are as they go along
oscartlNov 29, 2019
Rian Johnson masterfully subverts the mystery genre while still paying homage to the great whodunnits of the past
viroodiemDec 28, 2019
This film is an amazing illustration of a generation gap.

This film is an amazing illustration of a generation gap.

This "clue" type mystery is one that was worn out and beaten to death by the 70s and 80s but is something this current generation is completely unfamiliar with. Hence why so many reviewers are fawning over this as "slick, clever, smart" etc Its simply a matter that they themselves have not seen this sort of film mystery.

However if you did live through those eras and saw these types of films you would see that all Knives out is is a poorly crafted and generic imitation of far better whodunit mysteries.

The characters are hollow caricatures with no depth. Casting was surprising but not for good reasons. Has beens like Jaime Lee Curtis and Don Johnson using the film trying to make a comeback, Mostly nobodies that you have never heard of, a few neverweres Like Shannon and the lead character you will think is just Miley Cyrus faking a Latino accent. Then there is Daniel Craig basically doing his best imitation of Frank Underwood minus the megalomania.

The biggest problem is that it is for all intents a Disney film in the sense that Disney influences abound, despite not being directly associated with the #EvilestCorporationOnEarth. From the presence of "Captain America" to being Written, directed and produced by Rian Johnson you begin to see that Disney influence. It is bland, depthless, bottom feeding cud that does nothing new, exhibits no originality and panders to the lowest common denominator for fear of producing something that wasn't predictable within the first 30 minutes.

Dont get me wrong, Ive spent far more time with far worse offerings but between being generic, derivative and predictable this is not an enjoyable thing to watch.
JumpCut_OnlineDec 4, 2019
It’s evident from the word go that its stellar ensemble is having a blast with the material. First Logan Lucky and now here, Daniel Craig is developing quite a knack for cutting loose away from his commitments to James Bond. His Benoit BlancIt’s evident from the word go that its stellar ensemble is having a blast with the material. First Logan Lucky and now here, Daniel Craig is developing quite a knack for cutting loose away from his commitments to James Bond. His Benoit Blanc is a riot whose attempts at wisdom only perplex the suspects around him, possessing an outlandish nature that is befitting of those the film lovingly references, that will likely trigger calls for a series of films headed up by this gentlemen sleuth. Moving into the family, Toni Collette’s Joni is brilliantly **** whose liberal viewpoints inevitably cause rifts with the more conservative amongst her, along with Chris Evans, who chews up the scenery as the roguish Ransom. The real breakout here, particularly in her pitch-perfect comic timing, is Ana De Armas’ Marta, whose unique perspective away from the Thrombeys plays a pivotal part in conveying the film’s weightier ideas.

A truly wicked whodunnit. Rian Johnson’s Knives Out is to die for.
swingJan 7, 2020
Kept my attention in spurts, but one of the dumbest movies of the year. Tried to make it like Clue, the board game. But was silly from start to finish. I did like Marta, the Paraguay nurse. She was adorable.
bulbasaur234Feb 20, 2020
What to say about cats. Cats as a whole movie is a master piece. The movie starts with a horror vibe as the main cat is ambushed by a bunch of cats wanting food for the night. After a few songs about genitals we get to the main plot of theWhat to say about cats. Cats as a whole movie is a master piece. The movie starts with a horror vibe as the main cat is ambushed by a bunch of cats wanting food for the night. After a few songs about genitals we get to the main plot of the story.The queen cat has to pick a cat to kill and send to space. so we go on this whole wacky adventure with hit star James Cordon and other non important characters and jump into the world of cats. They eat,drink and meow like cats. Half-way through seeing the movie i realized it was not star wars, but in fact cats. I mean most people were probably confused, it had Dumbledore. anyways back to the movie. talor swift drugs all the cats and then the sung a song about wanting to bring back all the cats that were thanos snapped (James Cordon). Once they are back the queen cat picks a black cat because she is racist. then the cat dies and they sing a song about being cats. all in all i give this movie a 0/10 because it should of had the name Claws Out. Expand
amheretojudgeNov 27, 2019
You think of it and you see it. You catch Rian plotting something, he catches you back with a grin observing the truth. This goes unmentioned and every second, for two hours.

Knives Out The writer and director Rian Johnson has all the

Knives Out

The writer and director Rian Johnson has all the attention he would want from me. Actually, more than he can imagine. And maybe that is why his film communicates so intensely to me. It has been my whole life watching films and I don't think ever has a filmmaker outdone himself or herself every time. Every time I go through this mechanical factory of Johnson and I come out with a page of poem in my hand. Johnson's film is not just good but also impeccably difficult to resist, to dislike. The entire film is the pulp. The scheme. There is no bite. No structure. No sleazy attitude or excuse that tells you, the audience, to go through necessary changes, developments of storytelling and asks you to sit by as it sets every set pieces one by one. From the minute you enter this house, it's a GO. This high calibered cast is skillfully juggled and stirred with their whisk of borderline offensive humor. You are told to sit in the middle of a dinner table and you are pushed like some prop of a game as these shady rich brats lashes you, charges you with upright white lies formed.. poorly! What? The distractions aren't distracting enough? Johnson is way ahead in this game. You can't even see him let alone catch him. He has staged the film within a few days, a short period of time. It's all temporary. Things, behaviour, intentions flickers faster than a broken tubelight. Just as his films are. You have to be up to date with the current intentions, suggestions, innuendos of the film. For the film is, both politically and wickedly strong. Never preachy but always on the mark. Knives Out is potent, ambitious and inspiring.
JcdbengalsNov 29, 2019
It was fun to watch the somewhat obvious clues and figure out the actual mystery very early on, then get hit with a gut punch at the end I wasn't expecting. It wasn't even just about figuring out what happened or by who, as that seemedIt was fun to watch the somewhat obvious clues and figure out the actual mystery very early on, then get hit with a gut punch at the end I wasn't expecting. It wasn't even just about figuring out what happened or by who, as that seemed obvious; the why and journey there was the best part. Great movie, go see it if you just want to enjoy a fun movie. Expand
Darkjoker28Nov 27, 2019
Awesome movie, one of the year's best definitely!! Sharp in every way, stellar cast!
verydarksunDec 3, 2019
Best movie I have seen for a long time ... Simply put, go and see it. You will not be disappointed
tropicAcesNov 27, 2019
For the most part it moves along quite well, and even if you see the final twist coming (because the film literally tells you midway through) it’s still a fun ride.
MovieTurtleNov 27, 2019
A modern and fun "who done it?" in the style of an Agatha Christie mystery. Fun and enjoyable with decent acting, good cinematography, and fantastic set design.
The necessary requirement of a "who done it?" to be enjoyable to me, that this
The necessary requirement of a "who done it?" to be enjoyable to me, that this one pulls off fantastically, is that if you are paying attention you can figure it out for yourself before the reveal.
Honestly the only downside I found with the movie is the policitical attributes and the push for the characters to be purely bad with no redeeming qualities as a way to associate with that alignment. It adds nothing to the movie and distracts quite a bit.
rain21199Nov 27, 2019
A corny but lovable mystery film. It kept me guessing until the very end, giving a good payoff to the observent movie watcher. It was annoying to watch it in the theater because I wanted to share my theories with my friends, but didn't wantA corny but lovable mystery film. It kept me guessing until the very end, giving a good payoff to the observent movie watcher. It was annoying to watch it in the theater because I wanted to share my theories with my friends, but didn't want to be a nuisance. Overall I recommend this movie and it's the best mystery film I've seen in a while Expand
Don_SoLowNov 27, 2019
What an amazing movie! This is a great mystery movie that subverts your expectations and has witty twists that really keep you thinking the whole movie. The characters are all well done and the performances throughout are great. One of theWhat an amazing movie! This is a great mystery movie that subverts your expectations and has witty twists that really keep you thinking the whole movie. The characters are all well done and the performances throughout are great. One of the best movies I've seen this year. Expand
Moviereviewer15Nov 27, 2019
A well-crafted work of art with an excellent cast (standout performances included from Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Lakeith Steinfeld and Toni Collete), a well-paced runtime and a mystery story that will leave you thinking youA well-crafted work of art with an excellent cast (standout performances included from Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Lakeith Steinfeld and Toni Collete), a well-paced runtime and a mystery story that will leave you thinking you know the answer until the very end shocks you.

This movie only proves that Rian Johnson should still direct his Star Wars trilogy at Disney. And, I sure as hell hope it still happens.
BhabaniNov 29, 2019
It was super funny and witty. Brilliant actors by the cast. One of the best movie of the year!
SonicDeathMarkyNov 30, 2019
Simply brilliant. One of the best constructed whodunnits I’ve ever seen. Go see this incredible film!
ryang1790Dec 2, 2019
This is what contemporary mystery films are and should be. Classic whodunit with a contextually rich script, characters dipped in reality, and performances that help sell the product. While the plot twists, of which there are plenty, serve toThis is what contemporary mystery films are and should be. Classic whodunit with a contextually rich script, characters dipped in reality, and performances that help sell the product. While the plot twists, of which there are plenty, serve to spin the audience's minds around, it's the board game-esque approach to filmmaking that wins the prize here. Every piece inexorably moves towards its conclusion, and it's in how those pieces interact, intersect, and often times interfere with each other before it's all said and done. Expand
lipperdoodleDec 3, 2019
Fun, witty, and succinct. Christopher Plummer and Daniel Craig, despite his crazy accent deliver an enjoyable spin on the standard murder mystery trope.
Bulletsponge69Jan 2, 2020
This is the absolute worst movie of 2019 . Don’t waste your time if you like believable characters or plot. The director swears he’s clever with this garbage; but it’s basically a CLUE movie to include the overacting and all. Daniel CraigThis is the absolute worst movie of 2019 . Don’t waste your time if you like believable characters or plot. The director swears he’s clever with this garbage; but it’s basically a CLUE movie to include the overacting and all. Daniel Craig pretends to be Foghorn Leghorn for several hours it is the absolute worst impression of southern accent I have ever seen. Expand
cdbauer1Nov 27, 2019
An absolutely delicious romp of a whodunit, written and directed by the masterful Rian Johnson.
fra92Dec 2, 2019
such a great movie. it's fun, witty and smart. I loved the cast and the direction, so happy about the incredible success
Rebecca31Dec 1, 2019
Watching Knives Out is like hopping straight into a real-life game of Cluedo. Director Rian Johnson has given us an early Christmas present with this absolute gem of a film. Knives Out is the film that just keeps on giving. I was sold afterWatching Knives Out is like hopping straight into a real-life game of Cluedo. Director Rian Johnson has given us an early Christmas present with this absolute gem of a film. Knives Out is the film that just keeps on giving. I was sold after the first few minutes and although the whodunnit is not a genre I’m overly familiar with, (Agatha Christie is not really my thing) Knives Out is a brilliantly told mystery thriller with an exceptional cast. Appealing to all and with a script so witty you can’t help but enjoy yourself.

The acclaimed crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead in his home just after his 85th birthday. Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) has been mysteriously hired to investigate what appears to be a closed case. Yet Thrombey’s obviously dysfunctional family each appear to have their own motive for murder (if indeed it is a murder) and it’s up to Detective Blanc to determine whether foul play is involved and to uncover the truth.

The plot is packed full of witty one liners and enough twists and turns to keep you fully invested in the story. Knives Out is one of the most entertaining films I’ve seen all year, and in no way takes itself too seriously. In fact it drifts into an almost pantomime type performance at times, particularly Craig’s over the top Detective Blanc but that only adds to the charm. Daniel Craig is a terrific actor and it’s always nice to see him in a non-James Bond movie because he’s having so much fun with this and it really shows. The entire cast is having a great time with this film and it shines through. An hilarious whodunnit that you should definitely take the time to see. It leaves you wanting more and if we get the chance to see another mystery thriller with Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig then I’m all for it. Highly recommended.
GrachechkovskiNov 30, 2019
Wonderful movie with a double-twist and detective story. Great actors, great actor's game, great picture and camera's positionality
SuckItBrianNov 30, 2019
It is a great homage to classic murder mysteries. Daniel Craig is amazing as a bumbling sleuth. Ana de Armes was just amazing. I've already watched it twice.
MaddiewNov 30, 2019
Great plot, kept me on the edge of my seat. Felt real emotion from the characters.
tjwellsNov 27, 2019
If anyone tells you this is a cheap Clue knock-off, understand that they haven't seen the movie. The movie knows that's what it looks like, comments on it, and then becomes something completely different. Anyone telling you wrong is justIf anyone tells you this is a cheap Clue knock-off, understand that they haven't seen the movie. The movie knows that's what it looks like, comments on it, and then becomes something completely different. Anyone telling you wrong is just being a little butt-hurt troll. Expand
Trineo99Nov 28, 2019
First of all, I know this is weird to start out with but the musical score, composed by Nathan Johnson, was amazing and helped bring people into that old school murder mystery feel. The music sounded like it came straight out of an oldFirst of all, I know this is weird to start out with but the musical score, composed by Nathan Johnson, was amazing and helped bring people into that old school murder mystery feel. The music sounded like it came straight out of an old mystery movie. The acting in this film was well done by everybody but three people really stood out to me. The first-person being Chris Evans, who plays Ransom Drysdale. He’s mainly known for playing Captain America and this role showed people another side to him that I really hope we get to see more of because he played this douchey character to perfection and I just have to say this because Marvel geek but somebody needed to tell him to watch his language. The second person is Daniel Craig who has a weird accent in this movie that needs time getting used to but it doesn’t take away from this marvellous performance. One thing that I love about mystery movies is the detective’s process of figuring out the case and he delivered on just that. The last stand out is Ana de Armas, who plays Marta Cabrera. This movie could have easily lost me but she was one of the main reasons I kept interested in this movie because she brings so much to this role that it captivates you and want to try and help her out. Now, I will say this if you can easily pick up on things then this might not be the movie for you because after the big reveal happens you realize all of the clues that you should have picked up on and facepalming, personal experience. In the end, Knives Out is a great movie for everybody and I do recommend seeing it. But, like I said if you can easily pick up on things, which I usually can but due to the annoying person next to me I couldn’t, then you might not enjoy it as much. Expand
PetersarajevNov 29, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely stunning! Made with elaborate skill and pure fortification of brilliance! Worth watching with the family and make sure to not spoil it to anybody, very clever ending and has a beautiful plot. Expand
birdman3Dec 1, 2019
Even though I felt burned by The Last Jedi, reviews for this movie made me give him another chance (in another genre). I'm glad I did - the movie delivers on its premise of turning the tropes of a murder mystery on its head, and it does soEven though I felt burned by The Last Jedi, reviews for this movie made me give him another chance (in another genre). I'm glad I did - the movie delivers on its premise of turning the tropes of a murder mystery on its head, and it does so with great pacing and cinematography. Just when I thought I had the movie figured out, it turns out I didn't. Many people are calling this movie "political", but I would disagree - sure, there are people with strong political opinions in the movie, but the story doesn't take a side. If it hurts you to watch a movie whose main character is a girl whose mother is an illegal immigrant, then yes - maybe you should avoid the film. Otherwise, I would highly recommend the movie to anyone. Expand
JRknowsfilmDec 2, 2019
Dynamite flick, keeps you grasped right from the start and doesnt let go. Top notch acting and some nice twists at the end. It was fun and that is why I watch movies.
Compi24Dec 3, 2019
Rian Johnson follows up his hotly contested "Last Jedi" with the smaller, yet undeniably more efficient and enjoyable "Knives Out," a "murder mystery" that lets you know very quickly what it's trying to do to the sub-genre, the conventionsRian Johnson follows up his hotly contested "Last Jedi" with the smaller, yet undeniably more efficient and enjoyable "Knives Out," a "murder mystery" that lets you know very quickly what it's trying to do to the sub-genre, the conventions therein, and the audience's understanding of all of the above. As was often present in the unquestionably joyous conversation surrounding his "Star Wars" flick, Rian Johnson's affinity for "subverting expectations" can sometimes spell trouble for moviegoers. This time around, though, I feel that each development and event is more warranted, considering the refreshingly original, "preconceived-notion-less" narrative in play. Implementing each twist only minutes after meeting this world and these characters makes total sense. Show the audience what they're in for early -- when they're impressionable -- and you have a better shot at keeping them along for the ride. And, man, what a ride it is. As far as sequences of events go, simply on paper, this has to be one of the most intricately constructed narratives of the year. And, as a screenplay, it's still particularly enthralling, even if it ventures a bit too far into "I'm a movie that takes place in the current year" land from time to time. In short, "Knives Out" is a massive pendulum swing in the right direction for me when it comes to Rian Johnson and the movies I want to see him craft. Expand
fernandoVRDec 12, 2019
What a clever Film. I admit there were some moments I said, this makes no sense, but in the end I got that it was part of the essence of the director's vision for this movie.
LuizGuilhermeDec 8, 2019
Knives Out is a different movie of mystery and suspense, of course, using those same details of such genets.

However, the movie tells the story to its viewers amazingly, differently and very well. In short, it's worth watching this movie

In short, it's worth watching this movie for fun and a great thriller and mystery movie.
SynapticAcidJan 9, 2020
Boring, predictable, and preachy, with insufficient backstory to make you care or hate any of the characters or understand their choices... with a Scooby Doo ending to boot (lazy storytelling and mediocre filmmaking) . I'll never get the 2+Boring, predictable, and preachy, with insufficient backstory to make you care or hate any of the characters or understand their choices... with a Scooby Doo ending to boot (lazy storytelling and mediocre filmmaking) . I'll never get the 2+ hours of my life back that I wasted watching this film. Expand
TfwallisNov 30, 2019
This movie was AMAZING! it was in no way predictable or obvious. Very entertaining and engaging. The casting was incredible and I will definately buy this to have at the house when it comes out
Harry_FoxNov 30, 2019
This film is amazing, good actors, good script, and an amazing ending. My rating for the film is 10/10
EFYevanDec 9, 2019
Absolutely loved it! The best movie I have seen in a long time. The audience was laughing and even clapping at the end! So good, I want to see it again to see all the details I missed.
Barbara_BarusDec 10, 2019
The best detective picture of the decade!
This is the first film in several years in which Daniel Craig remembered that he was an actor.
The best detective picture of the decade!
True, a rather confusing and interesting story with standard flashbacks for the genre and the incredible main character of which is played by even more incredible Daniel Craig
Knives Out is a really Must-See movie, and the best detective movie of the decade
DerekReideNov 27, 2019
Rian Johnson has redeemed himself, to some, after his acclaimed mythological flop that is ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’. I have been one who’s had respect for Rian even through the entire dramatic events of the Star Wars fandom splitting in aRian Johnson has redeemed himself, to some, after his acclaimed mythological flop that is ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’. I have been one who’s had respect for Rian even through the entire dramatic events of the Star Wars fandom splitting in a million pieces. But ‘Knives Out,’ is AWESOME. It is an absolutely hilarious, mystery-filled, classic whodunnit with a decked cast of Jamie Lee Curtis, Ana de Armas, Daniel Craig, and Chris Evans, to name a few. It truly is a fun time in the theaters with many twists and turns, each perplexing you even more until the mystery of who killed Harlon Thrombey. A definitely rewatchable film and one of the year’s best for sure! Expand
heloheDec 27, 2019
Another proof that Rian Johnson knows exactly what he is doing and he succeeds in whichever genre he takes on. When I saw the trailer I thought this is meh, but then when I saw the actual movie, I realized how amazing it is.
We could have had
We could have had something amazing like this as well for Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker if Rian Johnson would have been directing it again, but instead we got the J.J. Abrams mess, as if the first one would not have been a warning to not use Abrams for anything anymore.
I wish Rian Johnson all the best for his future projects. I am quite sure I will see all of them.
marcmyworksDec 29, 2019
An enjoyable whodunnit that hopefully will create a resurgence in the genre. The cast is amazing, with Daniel Craig leading the charge as the charismatic Detective Benoit Blanc. My only reason for not giving full marks is I wish there hadAn enjoyable whodunnit that hopefully will create a resurgence in the genre. The cast is amazing, with Daniel Craig leading the charge as the charismatic Detective Benoit Blanc. My only reason for not giving full marks is I wish there had been a bit of suspense. Expand
eagleeyevikingJan 5, 2020
"Knives Out" is a terrifically written and unpredictable murder mystery that highlights the talent of not only Rian Johnson, but also the entire cast, particularly Ana de Armas.
MattBrady99Dec 18, 2019
“This case is like a donut
with a hole
in the middle of a donut hole. Actually, it's a donut within a donut's hole.” ‘Knives Out’ subverted my expectations...in a good way. A smartly written whodunit movie that manages to be both humorous
“This case is like a donut
with a hole
in the middle of a donut hole.
Actually,
it's a donut within a donut's hole.”

‘Knives Out’ subverted my expectations...in a good way. A smartly written whodunit movie that manages to be both humorous and classy. The kind of murder mystery that never fails to entertain. Pleasing both cinephiles and mainstream audiences. Perfectly balance, as all things should be. It basically pulls a Hitchcock on us.

Rian Johnson is a great director, but at times has silly ideas. On the other hand, when given the right material I think he’s a great director and writer. He’s also a clever man, but never came off as annoying. The dialogue was so sharply written that I could tell the cast loved every minute of soaking up and delivering these lines. The cinematography was nothing short but beautiful and will often linger in rooms of the house which helps the audience immerse in the overall setting.

One of the tightest scripts of the year with raw humor and a satisfying mystery/comedy.

The cast is stellar, but the main stand outs for me were Daniel Craig, Ana de Armas, and Chris Evans. I loved Daniel Craig’s Southern drawl which I didn’t expect at first, but I was amazed of how far he went for it. Often times it reminded me of Frank Underwood from ‘House of Cards’. He plays detective Benoit Blanc, AKA CSI: KFC. At one point during the movie he delivers one of the funniest monologues in the entire movie, which was brilliantly delivered by Craig. He should seriously try out more comedy roles.

Dose anyone remember when Ana de Armas starred in Eli Roth’s ‘Knock Knock’? Well look at her now. She was absolutely excellent in this movie. The running joke throughout the entire movie is her character can’t lie and whenever she dose, she vomits on the spot. How ironic, yet I love the comedic irony behind it.

Chris Evans plays a spoiled child with a slimy grin during the worst situations. The over privilege black sheep of the family. This is very against type for Evans, especially when his character hates dogs, which I would imagine being difficult for Evans since he’s a dog lover in real life. Also the different sweaters he wears in every scenes was impeccable.

The rest of the cast manage to shine individually in this crowded movie. Although at times some of them felt like background wall paper compared to others. However that never takes away from what else ‘Knives Out’ has to offer.

Toni Collette dose a great impression of Gwyneth Paltrow. Michael Shannon plays a wimpy son to a crime-writer Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer). Despite the small screen time, Plummer is still charming as always. While Jamie Lee Curtis and her character brings the dramatic elements into play. She’s uninterested in the humorous quarrel during the grim situation, as early on she reminds everyone that her father just died.

Judging it as a whodunit mystery, the pay off itself is slick. The events leading to the death are revealed early into the movie, and instead Johnson remains steps ahead from the audience. There’s an underlining social commentary beneath the foul play. The themes of privilege and underprivileged with the sour taste of bitterness throughout. Nothing deep or new, but at least is trying to say something rather than being one thing.

Overall rating: My House. My Rules. My Coffee!!!
CalandriaDec 1, 2019
I have to be serious, I didn't expect anything about this movie, because I don't like the Last Jedi plot, and Rian Jonson is the guionist and director of this movie, but i must say that in this movie he has done a good work because the plotI have to be serious, I didn't expect anything about this movie, because I don't like the Last Jedi plot, and Rian Jonson is the guionist and director of this movie, but i must say that in this movie he has done a good work because the plot is amazing in this movie, and the cast is amazing too.
I recommend watching this movie