Paramount Vantage | Release Date: October 28, 2011
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 113 Ratings
Watch Now
LSUduckOct 31, 2011
Many of us dream of that one true love. That perfect match out there in the world. The love that will engulf our soul from the moment we find it and never let go.

In 'Like Crazy,' we experience that love in the relationship shared by the

In 'Like Crazy,' we experience that love in the relationship shared by the handsome Jacob (Anton Yelchin) and bright eyed Anna (Felicity Jones). A love that develops in such an intoxicating fashion that the viewer feels as if they were falling head over heels in love themself.

The young couple meets as college classmates in Los Angeles, living the best years of their lives in the bright California sun. The beautiful couple's journey begins through one of the most romantic forms of courtship, a poem from Anna left on Jacob's windshield, and spins into a whirlwind of unadulterated love. A whirlwind of love that fails to cease until the UK born Anna overstays her student visa, creating an immigration hurdle that becomes difficult to overcome.

From this moment on, 'Like Crazy' separates itself from the relationship dramas of recent years. This separation comes from director and writer Drake Doremus' choice to draw from personal experiences with love, instead of creating the predictable and expected "fairy tale" love story.

In the real world, love experiences many hardships like the distance between the couple, the maturity of the couple, and every person's need for affection. Doremus hits on each of these hardships and more, creating a sense of realism unmatched by any relationship drama today. This sense of realism helps create an engrossing attachment to the couple, their story, and the ability for the viewer to relate to the couple's plight.

A largely ad-libbed script aides that realism. The improvisation allows the couple's dialogue and physical interactions, as well as those with their other lovers while away from each other, to appear as authentic as possible. Through these authentic interactions, Jones and Yelchin develop undeniable chemistry that just further establishes the genuineness of the relationship.

Through impeccable acting, brilliant directing and an unequaled authenticity, 'Like Crazy' becomes a love story that will live on for generations to come.

Alex White
wendy0Mar 23, 2012
Agreed that Anton Yelchin was excellent in Like Crazy but if you want to see a really breakout performance by him you should watch The Beaver in which he plays Mel Gibson's son. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lBGKKhx2Lo
rkellytexOct 29, 2011
I thought this was a little gem of a movie. Well acted and realistic; Felicity Jones is especially good. My 16-year relationship had immigration problems within the first two years and this movie gets to the heart of that pain. WorthI thought this was a little gem of a movie. Well acted and realistic; Felicity Jones is especially good. My 16-year relationship had immigration problems within the first two years and this movie gets to the heart of that pain. Worth seeing, if you don't mind your love stories with a dose of melancholy. Expand
MarcDoyleNov 2, 2011
The film does a really good job of illustrating the pain and raw nerves that can be exposed with young love - especially when complicated by distance. My primary problem with the film is Jacob (Anton Yelchin) - he looks like he's loaded forThe film does a really good job of illustrating the pain and raw nerves that can be exposed with young love - especially when complicated by distance. My primary problem with the film is Jacob (Anton Yelchin) - he looks like he's loaded for about 80% of the film, and it's difficult for me to believe Anna (Felicity Jones), who seems to have her stuff together, would go for him in the first place. But again, they're young, and we don't always get to pick that person. I really like how the writer/director artfully skip huge chunks of cliche'd story that other movies have dealt with ad nauseum. The type of ending employed seems to be in fashion these days. I don't have an issue with it, but I'm sure many probably do. It seems Felicity Jones will be in the biz for the long haul - recently caught her in Chalet girl. Seems like a good choice for future films of this ilk. Expand
BHBarryDec 9, 2011
â
nutterjrMar 10, 2012
A brilliant depiction of the emotional rollercoaster of falling in love and dealing with the exogenous factors that try to kill it. The actors although they keep their clothes on, bare it all and leave us all warmed up inside. Highly recommended.
wishmasterApr 18, 2012
I do not know, but I love stories like this, where love is on a tube and back out the window, very good script, I liked the music, and especially the natural actions of all! Praise of Felicity Jones and Jennifer Lawrence.
eliteco3Jul 3, 2012
A breath of fresh air that strays away from the cliche romance film we are so used to. Post college love is tested to the brink as the intensity and passion expands. The on screen chemistry between Yelchin and Jones is superb. The realisticA breath of fresh air that strays away from the cliche romance film we are so used to. Post college love is tested to the brink as the intensity and passion expands. The on screen chemistry between Yelchin and Jones is superb. The realistic scenes and emotions are felt from start to finish. The climatic ending only adds to the awe of this inspiring movie Expand
JoaoRodarteDec 3, 2011
That's not a dumb love comedy movie. If you are expecting this kind of joy, you should get something else to watch.

Good romance, hope you lovers to enjoy it.
SpfinoOct 30, 2011
Emotional, sweet and well-acted, Like Crazy was unexpectedly good. Anton yelchin is one to watch, he played his role perfectly and honest in every scene.
phintlyDec 22, 2011
This film made me feel as if I was falling in love, and then getting to experience the ups and downs of a relationship with the characters. I've read reviews saying how people didn't like the montage feel of the film, but I felt like itThis film made me feel as if I was falling in love, and then getting to experience the ups and downs of a relationship with the characters. I've read reviews saying how people didn't like the montage feel of the film, but I felt like it helped it. Who wants to sit and watch all the little boring moments when you can just highlight the moments that impact the couple the most. I felt it was very realistic, the acting was wonderful, and I left the theater undecided if I felt heartache or hope for the couple. I would definitely recommend this film. Expand
MegWhiteleyMar 28, 2012
OMG! I love this pretty movie is really emotive, have interesting things. The trama can be a cliche, and we can think: other terrible romantic movie But oh sorprise Like Crazy is really pretty. The story is really amazing, my boyfriend hateOMG! I love this pretty movie is really emotive, have interesting things. The trama can be a cliche, and we can think: other terrible romantic movie But oh sorprise Like Crazy is really pretty. The story is really amazing, my boyfriend hate all this type of movies, but when we watch Like Crazy, he think that the movie is a epic movie of the romantic films. Is incredible watching that some romantic films do a great job, because this genre be same, since Twilight saga started, but Like Crazy is fresh, and amazing. The cast, is wow, awesome, Anton Yelchin, Jennifer Lawrence, and this other girl that I don't remember her name, the performances are incredible. The screenplay is interesting, have much intelligent situation and do an interesting job. Like Crazy is interesting, emotive and pretty I love this movie. Expand
ofthewildeMar 26, 2012
Are the characters underdeveloped? Yes.

Are the characters underdeveloped? Yes.

Is the plot a bit diffracted? Definitely. Does it really matter? No. This film is not meant to be an experienced drama with strong leads and a concrete story line. It's a modern take of an issue which reveals uncertain emotions and the ambiguity which follows the decisions based on those emotions. It's not a film meant to be cathartic. It's a film that is, at its core, realistic and, therefore, a bit drab and dreary. The ending is worth a mention as it compresses the whole film into one expression.
StaticSpineJul 29, 2014
A pretty nice emotionally engaging story, good filming. The actors are decent too, so if you are in the right mood to watch a melodramatic movie, check this one.
SeriosityDec 13, 2012
The performances by its two leads are wonderful, Felicity Jones is absolutely luminous. A love story with a dose of melancholy that is uniquely and beautifully shot. I adored every aspect of this film.
nicholasbertJan 23, 2014
Felicity Jones is the bright star of the film, she manages to enlighten what would otherwise be a pretty dull film. I understand the cinematic references here and there, and the realistic dialogue, and the attempt at a realistic love storyFelicity Jones is the bright star of the film, she manages to enlighten what would otherwise be a pretty dull film. I understand the cinematic references here and there, and the realistic dialogue, and the attempt at a realistic love story (which is not so much after thirty minutes of it) and the whole feeling of authenticity to it.
Still, it feels like it could have been made better by adding more spark and vitality, especially to the Jacob character, who basically does nothing.

I didn't like the fast forwards and the general idea of skipping entire months like it's nobody's business. I liked the open ending (even if a bit trite as a storytelling device at this point) and I liked Felicity Jones. Oh, yes, her acting too.
juank87Aug 15, 2014
I was impressed by this movie, the way how doremus illustrate the young love and how the distance can destroy something beautiful and the good performances of felicity jones and anton yelchin.
slayde11Jun 25, 2016
Rarely have I ever been so uplifted and devastated by a single film over the course of 90 minutes. In my opinion, this movie is a masterwork of improvisation and calculated understatement. It illustrates the way young love can be absolutelyRarely have I ever been so uplifted and devastated by a single film over the course of 90 minutes. In my opinion, this movie is a masterwork of improvisation and calculated understatement. It illustrates the way young love can be absolutely overpowering; and how we can become intoxicated by the idea and memory of those early head-over-heels feelings, until we're no longer sure whether they're leading us forward or pulling us down. I think the way you ultimately feel about this story -- the ending in particular -- has much to do with what you project onto it, based upon your own experiences. I will say "Like Crazy" is an extremely apt title. It describes the swoon-worthy early stages of love ... yet also the painful, even damaging later stages where the urge to hold on and the desperate yearning to recapture can feel like (and possibly represent) a form of insanity. Extremely thoughtful, honest, well-calibrated performances by both leads and every supporting player. Just don't let the first act fool you -- this is NOT a feel-good movie throughout. Expand
buffnfaithMay 9, 2015
A masterpiece when it comes to romance films. Incredible breakout performances from the three leads. Very realistic till the end. Although a long time has passed since I've watched it (twice), the final scene in the shower is one of the bestA masterpiece when it comes to romance films. Incredible breakout performances from the three leads. Very realistic till the end. Although a long time has passed since I've watched it (twice), the final scene in the shower is one of the best (and saddest in terms of romance) endings. This pretty much kicked off Jen's and Felicity's careers both of whom went on to get nominated for / win Oscars. Anton Yelchin starred in 20+ films and still one of the most sought actors in indies. Definite must watch! Expand