Columbia Pictures | Release Date: December 25, 2019
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 174 Ratings
Watch Now
MarkHReviewsJan 6, 2020
In her version of “Little Women,” Writer/Director Greta Gerwig may well have captured the essence of author Louisa May Alcott’s beliefs and sensibilities more effectively than Alcott’s original book.

The story, set in Massachusetts near the

The story, set in Massachusetts near the end of the Civil War, centers on the lives of four sisters – Jo (a fiercely independent writer), Amy (an artist), Meg (whose main ambition is husband and family) and Beth (a pianist in delicate health). The home fires are managed by their mother, Marmee, who is frugal, ever-thoughtful and admirably altruistic, with occasional intrusion from wealthy elderly Aunt March. Laurie is a rich, indolent heartthrob-next-door in constant pursuit of Jo. Professor Bhaer is an academic Jo meets during a sojourn in New York City. Alcott’s text is often described as an “idealized autobiography” – the characters are based on friends and family members, but reconstructed with considerable literary license.

This novel has been the basis for many stage plays, musicals, radio shows, even a few operas. Inevitably, there have been several previous TV and movie productions, including a 1978 NBC mini-series sporting William Shatner as the professor with an amazing German accent, a 1949 movie with Elizabeth Taylor as Amy, a 1933 movie with Katherine Hepburn as Jo and a 1994 movie in which Winona Ryder was Oscar-nominated for her performance as Jo, with Christian Bale as Laurie. All of this is to suggest that if you’re going to address this chestnut again, it had better be well-roasted on that open fire. Fortunately, Gerwig’s trip down memory lane is well-done, in every respect.

One great strength of the current production is the balance of its cast. As Jo, Saoirse Ronan is reunited with Gerwig, who directed her in “Lady Bird” (Ronan received an Oscar nomination for Best Actress while Gerwig was nominated for both Best Director and Best Original Screenplay). Her intense independence drives the story at several key points. As Laurie, Timothee Chalamet (“Lady Bird,” “Call Me by Your Name”) causes regular swooning among the female population, onscreen and in the theater. Florence Pugh (“Little Drummer Girl”) as Amy and Emma Watson (Harry Potter series) as Meg also are compelling. There are additional strong performances by actresses playing against type – Lara Dern as Marmee is warm, empathic and grounded. Meryl Streep as the manipulative Aunt March draws well-earned hisses.

But it’s Gerwig’s screenplay that is the real star of this show. Gerwig masterfully crafts the film’s final act to update the original novel in ways that seem much more true to Alcott’s life and beliefs. She also weaves in other Alcott material to bolster her empowerment theme. In the third act, Gerwig borrows material from Alcott’s “Rose in Bloom” (1876) to capture the essence of Jo’s frustration with the world around her: “Women, they have minds and they have souls, as well as just hearts… I’m so sick of people saying that love is just all a woman is fit for.”

The film is made even more interesting if the moviegoer considers that, while Alcott has clearly modeled Jo after herself, perhaps Gerwig herself is equally entwined with the pair. The Act One scene of Jo and Laurie dancing maniacally outside on the porch seems to channel the goofy gracefulness or graceful goofiness of some of Gerwig’s previous acting roles, particularly “Frances Ha” and “Mistress America.” All this makes “Little Women” feel intimate, urgent and important, even for the males of the species.

“Little Women” may be an effective antidote to the mania of the Safdie Brothers’ “Uncut Gems,” which is another way of saying it drags in places. But it’s also uplifting, timely, observant and well worth your time.
estonismJan 12, 2020
Beautiful movie, great performances. Please see this. Will read the book after seeing this movie.
Harsh657Jan 16, 2020
A heartwarming, funny and an enjoyable crowd pleaser with such great cast and a very talented director behind them makes this film a must watch. The acting in this movie is just exceptional from every character especially from the 4 sistersA heartwarming, funny and an enjoyable crowd pleaser with such great cast and a very talented director behind them makes this film a must watch. The acting in this movie is just exceptional from every character especially from the 4 sisters and their mother played by Laura Dern.
Saoirse Ronan shines in this film by giving her best performance and also Pugh's outstanding performance makes this one hell of a movie from start to finish.
The film has some time jumps from present to past frequently which would have confused the audience but it didn't because of the filters used by Greta which makes you understand that part of the film easily. Also the chemistry between these characters is off the charts. Never seen anything in my life like this.
This is one of the best movies of the year and must-watch movie if you are a fan of the book.
Grade: A+
SpiritvoxJan 12, 2020
Best move I’ve seen in a long time! I’m a guy and loved it. And the way they told the story was very fresh. See this film.
MrLennyJan 13, 2020
Greta Gerwig’s little woman is a rare masterpiece. Her capabilities like a writer are impressive while her ability of directing songs genius. Lady Bird was the most strength film on relationship between mother and daughter. Gerwig was a greatGreta Gerwig’s little woman is a rare masterpiece. Her capabilities like a writer are impressive while her ability of directing songs genius. Lady Bird was the most strength film on relationship between mother and daughter. Gerwig was a great actress (Frances Ha is superlative) now she become the greater screenwriter in Hollywood. Her version of Little Women is the most successful compare with the great version of the past. Ronan shows incredible power on the screen, intensity and deepness. Little women is a masterpiece without time in cinema history. Expand
anrodriguezJan 11, 2020
I fell in love with Saoirse Ronan, her acting was really emotional. The film is a soul caress.
movieloverandiJan 14, 2020
This film left me with the warmest feeling in my heart its truly delightful from beginning to end and the acting performances are fantastic. This is without a doubt one of my favorite films of the year.
Brent_MarchantJan 4, 2020
A picture that prides itself on its fine performances and excellent period piece production design alone is not enough to elevate said release to cinematic greatness. So it is with director Greta Gerwig's new film adaptation of the classicA picture that prides itself on its fine performances and excellent period piece production design alone is not enough to elevate said release to cinematic greatness. So it is with director Greta Gerwig's new film adaptation of the classic novel "Little Women," a self-congratulatory offering that might look nice but rings inauthentic and tedious in many regards. This is particularly true for its almost-laughable screenplay, whose contemporary dialogue doesn't even begin to adequately suit the film's 19th Century setting. The nonlinear storytelling approach often doesn't work, either, given that there are few recognizable distinctions to separate different time frames from one another. And, while many of the portrayals are solid -- Florence Pugh, Laura Dern, Timothee Chalamet and Meryl Streep -- one can't help but cringe at the overwrought, award-baiting performance of Saoirse Ronan, whose mugging for the camera becomes tiresome quickly. For all its hype, "Little Women," unfortunately, leaves viewers with little to like. Expand
wadisplaceJan 2, 2020
What an outstanding movie. I love the way that they've developed all the characters. Also we they made the closeness of the family come out. It is a coming-of-age movie where the family, close as children, grow up, get married, and drift offWhat an outstanding movie. I love the way that they've developed all the characters. Also we they made the closeness of the family come out. It is a coming-of-age movie where the family, close as children, grow up, get married, and drift off into their own lives. Expand
JumpCut_OnlineJan 1, 2020
As a film, Little Women should serve as a calling card for Greta Gerwig’s imaginative directing capabilities. The thoughtfulness on display here proves that “Lady Bird” was not a one-hit wonder, and she should be considered among the mostAs a film, Little Women should serve as a calling card for Greta Gerwig’s imaginative directing capabilities. The thoughtfulness on display here proves that “Lady Bird” was not a one-hit wonder, and she should be considered among the most promising young directors working in Hollywood today. The stylistic and narrative choices, the dialogue, and the incredible performances all contribute to a “Little Women” that is not just a new retelling of the familiar story, but a creative and ambitious reimagining. Expand
cesarntcsJan 3, 2020
A different point of view from the other adaptations of the book, it really makes you love the story even more. Great remake wuth great actors and actresses, highly recommended.
soundmateDec 31, 2019
I hadn't read the novel before entering the cinema and, even though I didn't know much of the plot or what would happen, I still wondered what this title had to offer. I entered the room knowing that I would spend almost two and a half hoursI hadn't read the novel before entering the cinema and, even though I didn't know much of the plot or what would happen, I still wondered what this title had to offer. I entered the room knowing that I would spend almost two and a half hours watching the film. Is it worth it, then? Absolutely.
If the film is loyal to the 1868 novel, I will for sure read it. The caracters are very carismatic, intelligent and mind-blowing. The wardrove used for the film may be called shabby by some but, to me, it is amazing. It really feels like it has been filmed during the American Civil War. The cast has done an amazing work; you can see it has been selected with a lot of love and enthusiams, so as the movie is. The only thing I got confused with was with the flashbacks since, nowadays, most audiovisual projects use cold colors while talking about the past and warm for present or future times or viceversa. This element, however, doesn't matter since the storyline is huge, overwhelming, and really touching. It shows that you are always growing up, that aging doesn't stop in the twenties. It shows you how the world sees women and marriage and how love isn't always the main reason to engage to someone forever. The four sisters are very different showing you that, even though you are equal to them in terms of bloodline, that doesn't mean you have to be equal in intellect. I have been able to connect with "Little Women" being a male without siblings. That what I call power!
It is definitely one of the films I've enjoyed the most in my life thanks to it's amazing cast, perfect production and its emotional roller-coaster storyline. I am sure author Louisa May Alcott would have been very pleased with this must-see film for drama lovers.
BlueMountainJan 1, 2020
Really enjoyable, emotional movie.
The acting was great and all the characters were lovable.
gscloonDec 28, 2019
Another remake of Little Women--and this one is spectacular. Instead of telling the story in a linear fashion, Gerwig begins in the present and then flashes back and flashes forward and back again, etc., unpeeling layers of meaning andAnother remake of Little Women--and this one is spectacular. Instead of telling the story in a linear fashion, Gerwig begins in the present and then flashes back and flashes forward and back again, etc., unpeeling layers of meaning and emotion in the process. The cast is superb--Saoirse Ronan is dazzling as is the camera work and musical score. Why would Gerwig choose to present the narrative complexly rather than in a straightforward manner? The latter approach has already been done ad nauseum, for one. Secondly, Gerwig has made Jo into Alcott's alter ego, and as Jo struggles to get published in New York, she reminisces about her adolescence and early adulthood in the March family. When one thinks, there are no time constraints--you can be anywhere, anytime you want and jump freely as your thoughts inspire you. As the audience for the film witnesses this random sequencing, we experience new anticipations, meanings, and insights not possible in a linear presentation. If the movie frustrated you, I urge you to watch it again with these ideas in mind at a bargain theater or certainly on cable--the experience will be rewarding. Expand
charles19Jan 4, 2020
Wow. What is happening to the movie critics these days? This was an awful film, and they didnt even notice. Is this what is taken for art these days? Firstly, the writing was incredibly poor and the dialogue stilted and unnatural, likelyWow. What is happening to the movie critics these days? This was an awful film, and they didnt even notice. Is this what is taken for art these days? Firstly, the writing was incredibly poor and the dialogue stilted and unnatural, likely because it reflected the book too literally and was not adequately adapted to a movie screenplay. Secondly, the direction was very poor. There were major gaps in the plot making it seem incoherent at times. It left the viewer disoriented. Thirdly, the acting was only fair to midling. These are lightweight actors and they did nothing to anchor a poorly written screenplay. The only good parts were the costumes and cinematography. I love period piece dramas. But this was a waste of a couple of hours. Expand
zmgalen2000Jan 1, 2020
Brilliantly directed/written/edited, and beautifully acted. 2019's Little Women is undoubtedly one that should not be missed. However, to fully relish in the film's beauty, one must watch it more than once (as I did) in order to fullyBrilliantly directed/written/edited, and beautifully acted. 2019's Little Women is undoubtedly one that should not be missed. However, to fully relish in the film's beauty, one must watch it more than once (as I did) in order to fully comprehend the story, which is told in a non-linear fashion. Yet it is the nonchronological fashion of the plot's progression that truly underlines the film's beauty. Starting from the future and past, the film slowly merges to form the present, which then guides the film back towards the future. Being able to stitch all the events together, however, can be a bit strenuous and frustrating when too much information is presented far too quickly. Despite that, the cinematography (in spite of some white flecks on the screen) and acting (among all castmembers) were both stellar. Expand
realjonarbuckleDec 30, 2019
This was definitely my favorite movie of the year. Even though the expectations were high and this story has been told so many times this version was so unique and powerful in comparison. Greta Gerwig did a phenomenal job along with theThis was definitely my favorite movie of the year. Even though the expectations were high and this story has been told so many times this version was so unique and powerful in comparison. Greta Gerwig did a phenomenal job along with the amazing cast. Saoirse Ronan as Jo March was destiny and Florence Pugh as Amy March was a real scene stealer. The acting performances and the directing truly make this movie Oscar worthy. Expand
nmarlaineDec 31, 2019
The story is refreshing and bright! I appreciate how self-aware the movie is. There is great social commentary on marriage as an institution or a sole "economic proposition".
GeoaveneJan 1, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. É uma das melhores adaptações do livro. Mesmo com várias adaptações, greta consegue trazer um novo ar pro filme. Fora o elenco de peso e atuações impressionantes. Enfim esse é um dos melhores filmes desse ano Expand
pjgsDec 27, 2019
Incredible writing, performances, cinematography, and score. Felt like I was living in the world with all of the characters. Saoirse Ronan deserves to win Best Actress.
TVJerryDec 30, 2019
Writer/director Greta Gerwig has reimagined the classic, skipping back and forth in a timeline that follows the 4 sisters from their teen years to adulthood. In addition to her spirited script, she's created a wonderful world ofWriter/director Greta Gerwig has reimagined the classic, skipping back and forth in a timeline that follows the 4 sisters from their teen years to adulthood. In addition to her spirited script, she's created a wonderful world of independent-thinking women and family support. The 4 actors playing the "women" are all winning, effectively capturing the dynamic between a quartet of teens, while later exploring their own struggles for happiness and worth. The performance standout (as the rich boy next door) is Timothée Chalamet, who's simply fetching, his most charming role to date. Even with the period setting, the film feels modern, fun and sweet. Expand
Sauja32Dec 27, 2019
My first Little Women experience. A beautiful, wonderfully acted, and perfectly written and balanced movie.
DaPulseDec 28, 2019
Greta Gerwig proves herself as both a director and writer to be reckoned with through skillfully treading the line of reworking and remaining faithful to the little women source material. After seeing this film, it made me respect the work ofGreta Gerwig proves herself as both a director and writer to be reckoned with through skillfully treading the line of reworking and remaining faithful to the little women source material. After seeing this film, it made me respect the work of Louisa May Alcott so much more and all of the compromises she had to make in order to be a successful writer and provide for her family. It’s also beautifully acted and shot throughout! Expand
TeraysaDec 28, 2019
If I did not go to the last showing of this movie yesterday, I would have watched it again. I cannot wait to buy this movie and watch it over and over.
refaslivaDec 30, 2019
One of the most beautiful movies I've seen. There is such warmth to the performances and it's impossible not to feel the love and care that clearly is in every aspect of this movie.
zacharyhasDec 26, 2019
Extremely charming, wonderful cast across the board, Ronan, Watson and Dern are standouts. Very soulful filmmaking.
TheSodomizerDec 25, 2019
Fantastic cast and fantastic sense of direction. Greta Gerwig is slowly becoming one of the best directors of this generation.
win2020Dec 26, 2019
Absolutely loved it.Saoirse Ronan is a powerhouse performer.Jo's every emotion was brought to screen without utmost clarity and feeling.Greta Gerwig is a master story teller.Recommend it 100%
paulamhmDec 27, 2019
Pelicula maravillosa, muy fiel a la historia pero a su vez completamente distinta por el toque de frescura y originalidad que se le da. Un reparto increible y una protagonista maravillosa. Muy recomendable
BHBarryDec 28, 2019
“Little Women” was written and directed by Greta Gerwig and stars Saoirse Ronan, Laura Dern, Emma Watson and a very forgettable total of 5 minutes of Meryl Streep.
Based on Louisa Mae Alcott’s novel the film does an injustice to the audience
Based on Louisa Mae Alcott’s novel the film does an injustice to the audience to which it is being exhibited. The large sums the producers spent on promoting the film would have been better utilized in the hiring of a strong editor and an additional writer for the movie is in dire need of a better script and better editing. The scenes depicting the characters and the years in which the events in their lives take place go back and forth so many times that the viewer has to rely upon the hairdos of the sisters in order to try to determine the proper chronology. Casting here is also subject to criticism since Bob Odenkirk (“Better Call Saul”) does not fit the image of the father of the girls nor does Chris Cooper (with enough makeup on to make a teenager look like Methusaleh) make a credible elderly neighbor. Both roles would have been better played by lesser known actors with no prominent identification problems.
I give the film a 5.0 rating with a special reward to the Public Relations person since he or she did a better job of hyping the film than did its writer-director in making it.
halfbloodDec 29, 2019
One of if not the best films of the year by far. Great supporting cast and the definitive version of Little Women, blows away all other adaptations, this is the version Louisa May Alcott would be proud of.
eitinoelleJan 7, 2020
la mejor adaptación del trabajo Louisa May Alcott. Saiorse Ronan se roba todos los focos por su gran talento y calidad para el drama y la comedia
dullurdDec 26, 2019
Over-the-top sappy, overwrought, and boring. I saw this with my girlfriend and her mom. The three of us have pretty different movie preferences, but an hour into this, we all looked at each other and decided to leave. Honestly perplexed whyOver-the-top sappy, overwrought, and boring. I saw this with my girlfriend and her mom. The three of us have pretty different movie preferences, but an hour into this, we all looked at each other and decided to leave. Honestly perplexed why no other reviewers appear to feel this way. Expand
TripBugDec 25, 2019
A beautiful retelling of the novel, truly capturing the overall feeling of sisterhood and growth from the book and adding a few welcome additions along the way. Saoirse Ronan is incredible as always, Laura Dern and Emma Watson are great, andA beautiful retelling of the novel, truly capturing the overall feeling of sisterhood and growth from the book and adding a few welcome additions along the way. Saoirse Ronan is incredible as always, Laura Dern and Emma Watson are great, and Florence Pugh sells Amy as a character so hard that I think I might have to reread the book with this depiction in mind. It’s that good. Go see it. Expand
TerminalyStokeDec 26, 2019
Light and pleasant overall. The movie chooses to jump back and forth in time which isn't too difficult to keep track of, but makes the story feel disjointed. Performances were fine but the characters were uninspiring chaotic and over the topLight and pleasant overall. The movie chooses to jump back and forth in time which isn't too difficult to keep track of, but makes the story feel disjointed. Performances were fine but the characters were uninspiring chaotic and over the top at time. Marmie and Amy in my opinion we're the best played, whilst Emma Watson as Meg was forgettable and awkward. Expand
DkneppDec 29, 2019
Confusing and disjointed. Can't hold a candle to the Winona Ryder version. The most interesting thing about the movie was the costumes. Acting was generally good, but Amy was just terrible!
ibbsteDec 26, 2019
Several auteurs this year have taken a stab at the power of time, memory, nostalgia and the sometimes painful adjustment to changing times; none, in my view, more powerfully than Greta Gerwig in her interpretation of this oft-adapted classic.Several auteurs this year have taken a stab at the power of time, memory, nostalgia and the sometimes painful adjustment to changing times; none, in my view, more powerfully than Greta Gerwig in her interpretation of this oft-adapted classic. In spite of the limitations of Civil War-era New England, especially with regard to the challenges, inequities and disadvantages of womanhood at the time, Gerwig and her mostly stellar cast manifest the early years of this story with a humility, grace, and playfulness that you want to luxuriate in and almost live in until cuts to the later years that punch you in the face with the reality of time passed and facing the ever forward-motion of life's path. The contrast of Yorick Le Saux's effective cinematography between the nostalgia of Winter sunlit rooms and the cozy warmth of the fireplace to the drab and cloudier present allows for a simultaneous romance and melancholy to the loss of time, life, and love in a way that feels miraculous and fresh no matter how many iterations of this story have been told before. Most can relate to many of these characters' lives in many ways, as has always been with this enduring story, but no other iteration has quite felt like such a warm embrace in its encouragement that life will contain multitudes of sadness, heartbreak, remorse, but also happiness, passion, and love, should you be open to receiving all. It made me want to run out of the theater and write. It made me want to remind all my loved ones that I'm here for them. It reminded me to want to keep living, to my fullest possibility, when the days can often feel depressingly static and the future frighteningly uncertain. I could have watched this movie all day. Expand
moviemitch96Dec 25, 2019
It's a timeless classic that most of us are at least fairly familiar with. Four young sisters come of age together in post-civil war New England, while also experiencing the ups and downs of marrying and falling in love. This story has beenIt's a timeless classic that most of us are at least fairly familiar with. Four young sisters come of age together in post-civil war New England, while also experiencing the ups and downs of marrying and falling in love. This story has been adapted countless times (the last most notable one being from 1994 which starred Winona Ryder, Christian Bale, and Susan Sarandon to name a few.) However, I have to say that this just might be the best and most complete one yet! It contains all the spirit, charm, and joy that I'd expect from this story, along with heartfelt performances from all involved! Saoirse Ronan is perfect as Jo, and Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, and Eliza Scanlen are also endearing as Meg, Amy, and Beth respectively. Rounding out the rest of the cast is Laura Dern as Marmee, the legendary Meryl Streep as Aunt March, and Timothee Chalamet as Laurie, all of whom deliver reliably great and charming performances. There's plenty of emotion to be found here as well, ranging from fun and joyful, to tearful and tender. As far as the story goes, it stays surprisingly close to the source material, even very close to the dialogue spoken in the novel. However, there were certain plot points I feel could've been developed a little more, most notably the relationship between Jo and Laurie, which seemed slightly forced and underdeveloped in this adaptation compared to other adaptations. Overall, this really does feel like the most complete and fully realized adaptation of this story yet, with the exception of some slightly underdeveloped storylines. Otherwise, it has great performances and is told in the charming, emotional, and endearing manner that I'd hoped it would be! Expand
EdeltraudJan 7, 2020
Here are all the reasons this movie is not very good, certainly not nearly as good as the Masterpiece Theatre adaptation. Commotion, screaming & frenetic scenes--this is what it takes to be modern & fresh? More like annoying & inauthentic. NoHere are all the reasons this movie is not very good, certainly not nearly as good as the Masterpiece Theatre adaptation. Commotion, screaming & frenetic scenes--this is what it takes to be modern & fresh? More like annoying & inauthentic. No drama to the dramatic parts-I blame the jumpy timeline, what did this device add?
Horrible overblown musical score that bludgeoned us with what our emotion should be. Emma Watson made me cringe with her wooden "acting" & Laurie was miscast. Dern wasn't much better.
I don't like dark, interior movies, this didn't need so much attic & candlelight. Also, bludgeoned us with feminist manifesto, we get it already! The death of subtlety right here. Poor grammar in a period piece about intellectuals? Twice used the wrong pronoun, "You'll be better than me (than I am.)" and "We don't play piano as well as her (as she did)." Worst of all is this obsession with remaking Little Women. The real Alcott family, especially the Dad, has a fascinating story to tell -- why don't filmmakers care about that? Amos reformed education, was an abolitionist & part of underground railroad movement. He was for women's rights, he was part of the transcendentalist movement & founded a "utopian" community ( it failed, but still), the family was vegetarian & wouldn't "enslave animals" - he was a true radical & American original. The family moved 22 times as he kept trying to bring his ideas forward & was often rejected. He palled around with Thoreau, Emerson & other luminaries.
One star for costumes.
tropicAcesDec 25, 2019
The whole film is light and charming but Florence Pugh is the real star; she is so charming and her presence lifts every scene. Probably 2019’s best supporting turn.
SandyCameronJan 4, 2020
Warm, gorgeous, funny, moving. This male was thoroughly enchanted by Little Women - and not just by the stars, though let's not pretend that cinema hasn't often been about the luminosity of beautiful actors on the silver screen. I had noWarm, gorgeous, funny, moving. This male was thoroughly enchanted by Little Women - and not just by the stars, though let's not pretend that cinema hasn't often been about the luminosity of beautiful actors on the silver screen. I had no difficulty following the 'back and forth' of the split times, and this helped maintain a more balanced tone throughout (instead of the potential for twee/saccharine early years moving to sober later years with consequent regret dominant) and an uplifting conclusion. Expand
seel82Dec 26, 2019
Boring and overdone. Why does this movie need to be made every 15-20 years?

The 1800s has oversaturated western media for decades. Hopefully this trend fades.
netflicDec 29, 2019
Do not waste your time and money.
Fake, fake, fake. A huge waste of many good actors' talent as well.
JLuis_001Dec 28, 2019
Opinions are opinions. Subjective or objective, but I find quite interesting the positive response the second feature film by Greta Gerwig has received, considering the so self-complacent film she created.
I personally believe that.
Do not
I personally believe that.

Do not confuse that feeling with me saying this is a misdone film. There's talent in her direction but Gerwig instead of looking for a challenge having the doors as open as she has them at the moment, she sat in the conformism and made a film that feels totally built as a ''For Your Consideration '' And be afraid if she's not considered.

I don't deny that Gerwig loves the novel, she shows it and certainly this version is her personal vision but despite the nice attempt, there's nothing new or fresh in her take.
I have to admit and emphasize that at this point it's completely stupid and naive to ask for a radical change in a story which has already been told a lot of times in film, however, it also cannot help feeling like a cheap mean of exploiting the story considering our current times, where feminism is now a driving force in the industry.
Like I said, she went for the safe bet.

And yet despite Gerwig's attempt to increase that specific plot weight, she also avoids going to issues that wouldn't work for the story she was trying to tell, because although they're not girls with money, they have the privilege of being protected from the civil war.

Jo is a young woman aware of herself and her mind, which in those times wasn't something positive but obviously the external world is not a concern for her, only her personal interests. And that's ok, we get to be that way, especially when we're young, but how do you try to make woke characters, if it's only in the things that suits them?
That's where the pertinent questions should be asked about what it was decided to take in order to make this new version work according to the director's perspective.

In the end, despite the production quality, Little Women is just a conventional and ordinary repetition of a literary classic that I personally think has already been too used.
But the proposal works both to be loved and to be hated and that depends a lot on the mentality you carry with you when you go to see it.
As always the rest depends on what you get from the film.
MoiztDec 26, 2019
Outside of Emma Watson's acting and an odd casting choice in Bob Odenkirk this might be as close as you get to a perfect film.
Rick-CastDec 28, 2019
The actors, soundtrack are pretty much the saving grace of this movie. However it falls flat that it is the same story being told so many times and provides nothing new.
KeithDowDec 27, 2019
‘Little Women’ is simply a story of its time … and a bit of a boring one at that. If Greta Gerwig can’t make it captivating, nobody can.
mjnagelJan 10, 2020
This movie was an okay time waster. It’s incredibly mediocre and not worthy of the praise it seems to be receiving. I went because of the high critic reviews. The only reason it has such good critic reviews is because of the politicalThis movie was an okay time waster. It’s incredibly mediocre and not worthy of the praise it seems to be receiving. I went because of the high critic reviews. The only reason it has such good critic reviews is because of the political messaging. The plot was boring. I should’ve known I not to trust critic reviews. Expand
GLADIADORJan 13, 2020
É um filme ok, nada de mais, acho que se eu fosse mulher eu iria gostar mais, ele é um pouco arrastado so uma vez que eu ri na maior parte não
Bill_NyeJan 7, 2020
This movie expects you to have background knowledge the book’s story. No date for the period of time the film took place was shown and no “6 month’s later” either.
rubysemJan 4, 2020
The structure of this movie, remixing the order of the story to illustrate the events that made the women who they are, was excellent. All performances were lovely, but Emma Watson's American accent was not very convincing and she slippedThe structure of this movie, remixing the order of the story to illustrate the events that made the women who they are, was excellent. All performances were lovely, but Emma Watson's American accent was not very convincing and she slipped back to British a few times. The aesthetic and shots in this movie were so interesting and fun and I loved the way it turned out. Expand
GreatMartinJan 17, 2020
I walked into the Classic Gateway Movie Theatre almost with a defiant attitude of "Show me!" as I have seen 3 versions, and read the book, of "Little Women". No way could anyone be prettier than Elizabeth Taylor in the 1949 version orI walked into the Classic Gateway Movie Theatre almost with a defiant attitude of "Show me!" as I have seen 3 versions, and read the book, of "Little Women". No way could anyone be prettier than Elizabeth Taylor in the 1949 version or Katherine Hepburn's strong, steadfast as Jo in the 1933 version or the realistic Jo of Winona Ryder in the 1994 film. After twenty minutes I was confused because the women we are seeing aren't 'little women', they are grown women.

This is the only way that the director/screenwriter Greta Gerwig missteps in both categories because at times it becomes confusing at moments--important moments, otherwise she has kept everything under control from the perfect cast to keeping all important parts of the book.

Most people reading this are familiar with "Little Women" either from previous movie versions or actually reading the classic book and if you aren't I don't want to spoil any of the film so on to the cast.

Saoirse Ronan, as Jo, projects a strong women of yesteryear and today and has scored her 4th Oscar nomination. Emma Watson as Meg, Eliza Scanlen as Beth and Florence Pugh, who won a best Oscar supporting actress nomination interact as sisters do while Laura Dern as their mother is warm, stern and her own woman. Meryl Streep is playing Maggie Smith's role from "Downton Abbey"!

Most of the men, except Timothee Chalamet who plays Laurie, and is prettier than Elizabeth Taylor or anyone in this film, captures the audience in a heartbreaking scene with Jo. Louis Garrel as a language professor in a few short scenes shows he can stand up to whatever is thrown at him. Chris Cooper, as Laurie's, grandfather, opens himself gradually until we get to know this intensely private human scene and Tracy Letts as Jo's first publisher and James Norton as Meg's husband support the women. "Little Women" will take hold of you about 30 minutes into the film and hold on to you for the next 105 minutes.
Compi24Jan 14, 2020
Sophomore slumps are a dime a dozen these days for writer/directors (i.e. "Us" & "Midsommar," in my opinion) but with her adaptation of "Little Women," Greta Gerwig looks to power through the mediocrity and -- most importantly -- keep theSophomore slumps are a dime a dozen these days for writer/directors (i.e. "Us" & "Midsommar," in my opinion) but with her adaptation of "Little Women," Greta Gerwig looks to power through the mediocrity and -- most importantly -- keep the audience on their proverbial toes with something quite different from what was offered an entry ago. This is a sumptuously designed, beautiful-looking saga of love, possibility and the yearning for what could have been, featuring some standout performances from nearly every cast member (though high praise goes to Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh and Timothee Chalamet, in particular) and a truly winsome screenplay and vision from Gerwig herself. Tender, yet pleasant, sad, but still joyous, and challenging and crowd-pleasing all at once, this is most definitely one of the best of the calendar year that was 2019, and yet another reason why Gerwig is one to look out for in terms of burgeoning filmic talents. Expand
Katycat03Jan 19, 2020
Even though I’m not into this type of movie, I really enjoyed it! It’s artistically wonderful. Congrats to the writers, to the director and to the actors!
leoterraJan 14, 2020
Little women is a very difficult movie to make. It is a story that has been told many times in the cinema. The 2019 film is directed by Greta Gerwig, who had already done a very good job on Lady Bird. In this movie, she still has a veryLittle women is a very difficult movie to make. It is a story that has been told many times in the cinema. The 2019 film is directed by Greta Gerwig, who had already done a very good job on Lady Bird. In this movie, she still has a very simple and objective direction. The editing of the movie is very well done, it is an edition that holds the viewer in the story. Saoirse Ronan is amazing in this movie, it's a fantastic performance, a well deserved Oscar nomination. Florence Pugh is doing very well too. The other secondary performances are decent: Emma Watson, Eliza Scanley, Timothée Chalamet, Laura Dern, Maryl Streep, Bob Odenkirk. The only flaw of this movie is the first act, which is not bad, but it is a little too dragged, but nothing that spoils the experience. Little Women is a good movie, with decent direction and amazing acting. Deserved Oscar nomination. Expand
FasterFabioJan 13, 2020
Greta is a great director and writer, she knows the story she wanna tell and does it so well, the cinematography is amazing and the cast is perfectly choose, the dialogue is fluid and we have some nice monologues (from Florence Pugh andGreta is a great director and writer, she knows the story she wanna tell and does it so well, the cinematography is amazing and the cast is perfectly choose, the dialogue is fluid and we have some nice monologues (from Florence Pugh and Saoirse Ronan) about being a women and have a voice, a message so important nowadays Expand
SakinahJan 17, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Movie, that I absolutely refuse to call Little Women, is a slap in the face to anyone that has read the book, loved the classic story and has grown up with these characters ; Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy!

I am a fan of Greta Gerwig and of 'Lady Bird', which is why it was all the more unexpected that this movie turned out to be so disappointing and such a betrayal to me.
Especially as Greta herself has said that this story was first introduced to her as a child, so she knows what it means to grow up with these characters and this story.

Let's start first with how the story was unfolded. Starting in future and jumping back to the past then jumping to the future??? It ruins the whole emersive experience that the true Little Women story provides.

The reason that the story has attracted so many young girls is because that's when the story starts, when they are little girls and draws you in as they grow, learn and mature.

Next, the dreadful casting of characters that do not capture the true essence of the sisters! The terrible idea to have younger Amy and older Amy played by the same actress makes the younger Amy extremely unlikeable. And although I am a fan of Saoirse Ronan, her portrayal of Jo was completely inadequate, scatter-brained and weak.

The others so blended into the scenery they're not even worth critiquing with one exception. The one star was given for Meryl Streep.

Even if I could get behind the chaotic way in which the story was told and the drab choice of actors and actresses, I absolutely draw the line at Greta Gerwig's choice to merge the life of Louisa May Alcott and the character Jo March!
This is where the chunk of my feeling of betrayal comes from. If Greta wished to make that creative choice she has all right to do so but then Greta Gerwig cannot call this movie Little Women! Because it is not!!

Greta has 'adapted' the original story to the point where the story has shifted perspective from the central theme being family to it being about women's rights.

If this is the story Greta wanted to tell then she should have done a biographical movie about Louisa May Alcott without riding on the coat tails of Little Women!!!

Greta Gerwig's explanation that she used materials from letters and diaries of Louisa May Alcott is just insulting. It's all the more reason that it should have been a biographical movie of Alcott's life.

Critics and Reviewers are commenting on what a wonderful movie this is, and it may be in its own right, with important themes being represented, but it is not LITTLE WOMEN and should not be misrepresented as such!!!
popartJan 19, 2020
I loved the chemistry between the actors and the interesting take on a classic story. I loved the backdrop and the authenticity of where the story was meant to take place. The film needs editing of at least 30 minutes.