Roadside Attractions | Release Date: November 18, 2016
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 839 Ratings
Watch Now
nickdrakeNov 20, 2016
Worth seeing twice, in my opinion. I left the theater feeling a bit underwhelmed after first seeing it, but I went back the next night and felt I better understood why it garnered such overwhelming praise. Affleck's performance is trulyWorth seeing twice, in my opinion. I left the theater feeling a bit underwhelmed after first seeing it, but I went back the next night and felt I better understood why it garnered such overwhelming praise. Affleck's performance is truly remarkable; again, I couldn't appreciate it as much the first time I saw it, but after developing a better understanding of the character (don't want to reveal anything), I appreciated how challenging of a performance it was for Casey. The film is raw and visceral, and really offers an interesting perspective on the grieving process and the effects it can have on a person. Expand
adzjonesNov 21, 2016
Film is INCREDIBLE!!! Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams are heartbreakingly moving and stunning! Gonna be a long but fruitful awards season I think for them!! Whole cast and overall picture are a MUST SEE!
sensorglitchJan 9, 2017
Manchester by Z's seems like an appropriate name for this film. I understand how well this was filmed. The acting was brilliant, as a character Lee Chandler neither neither hatable nor likable. He's damaged and broken and the film does aManchester by Z's seems like an appropriate name for this film. I understand how well this was filmed. The acting was brilliant, as a character Lee Chandler neither neither hatable nor likable. He's damaged and broken and the film does a great job of contrasting the changes which have come about in his life. The dialogue is interesting as well, the characters have interesting lines and they move the film along interestingly.

However, the movie is one in which very bad things happen to people and are accentuated by smaller bad things happening to them. Intellectually I understand this is a great movie. The book is about a group of aimless characters who drift through life, drift through the movie and then drift out. They have no purpose just like this movie. I know you are probably reading this and wondering "Why is he giving this an eight if he doesn't have anything good to say about it?" Well objectively speaking I believe there are many elements which go into making a film really good : acting, directing, sound, plot. From a technical and objective perspective this movie is excellent. It is an extremely well made, well acted and technically well done film. However, i never really felt invested in the movie. I didn't want the movie to end up being some hackneyed film where the character finds redemption, find a new love in his old city, and moves forward in some way. But at the same time I wish there was more to it.
UncleWillardMar 12, 2019
Nope. Not sure why this even made it into the nominations. This is a slow drag with one good scene. I'm sure there's some super intellectual reason why I'm wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that I was bored and disconnected from this movie.
NedRyerson1Jan 23, 2017
Manchester by the Sea is a very touching human drama, marked by loyalty to reality. Evaluates mourning from three points of view, how each one faces it, the relationships that are forced to come up and how some things make sense, so you canManchester by the Sea is a very touching human drama, marked by loyalty to reality. Evaluates mourning from three points of view, how each one faces it, the relationships that are forced to come up and how some things make sense, so you can learn from them and grow; but others don’t make sense and will stay forever with you as a burden. First we have Lee Chandler, hunted by a past to be revealed, not eager for human contact and that lost interest in life, practically an automaton. Second is his nephew Patrick, going through adolescence, very closed to himself, shielding in girlfriends, friends, a band, the town, in order to escape from the true. Third we see protagonist’s ex-wife Randi confused by mixing past and present due to recent events that rise repressed feelings buried down below. Those three performances are amazing, Casey Affleck is carries out the movie, Lucas Hedge surprised me a lot and Michelle Williams is heartbreaking. The direction and screenplay are strong, without fear of showing the real world. And those violin solos create a unique soundtrack. Expand
gameplayer85Jan 27, 2017
Good movie but wouldn't say it's oscar worthy. Casey always puts on great performances. Story is slow paced alot of times it seems like thier is nothing going on. Horrific background interwoven into the story and Michelle Williams is great asGood movie but wouldn't say it's oscar worthy. Casey always puts on great performances. Story is slow paced alot of times it seems like thier is nothing going on. Horrific background interwoven into the story and Michelle Williams is great as she always is. The guy that played Casey nephew got a lot of praise but i think he just did a passable job. Overall the movie is watchable but don't expect anything ground breaking or anything that will suck you into the movie. Expand
fmmJan 17, 2017
Affleck has done the impossible - dramatized an interior pain in a consistently affecting manner. Women usually get the roles for articulating unbridled expression regarding loss, divorce, etc. That's not the way this man suffers. AffleckAffleck has done the impossible - dramatized an interior pain in a consistently affecting manner. Women usually get the roles for articulating unbridled expression regarding loss, divorce, etc. That's not the way this man suffers. Affleck deserves every accolade. The film is not for those who need a car chase, but it's a a human story, wonderfully written and rendered. Michele Williams didn't have as much to do, as she was less 'written.' Affleck's nephew in the film is utterly superb as well. Expand
AkumaJackMay 16, 2017
The story-telling is good with flashbacks that give you insights on Lee's life. The film is both funny and heartbreaking. You smile in a scene and get a soulcrushing revelation in the next. Because they, as i said, give you an insight on theThe story-telling is good with flashbacks that give you insights on Lee's life. The film is both funny and heartbreaking. You smile in a scene and get a soulcrushing revelation in the next. Because they, as i said, give you an insight on the main character story as the film goes on. The Acting by Casey Affleck is very very good. He deserved the Oscar. Is a bittersweet masterpiece on the theme of loss and guilt. One of the best films of 2016. Expand
EnlilDec 12, 2016
I am not sure what to think about this movie. The acting is generally very good. Michelle Williams sticks out as the real star although Casey Affleck seems to be getting all the hype. Affleck is a great fit for the role. However, he plays theI am not sure what to think about this movie. The acting is generally very good. Michelle Williams sticks out as the real star although Casey Affleck seems to be getting all the hype. Affleck is a great fit for the role. However, he plays the exact same role he plays in all of his movies which makes me wonder about his actual acting capabilities. It's perfect for this movie though. I am concerned that Casey Affleck is like Klaus Kinski or Woody Allen who only can play themselves.
The movie is well shot and has a profound story that's well written. The movie would have been better if it had taken itself a little bit less serious and been sped up a little bit at times, especially in the first half.
BeeceeDec 5, 2016
This is a movie about a man with a volatile temper who is haunted by his past (we find out why towards the end of the movie). Since the main character and the teenaged nephew who has the main secondary role are not immediately sympatheticThis is a movie about a man with a volatile temper who is haunted by his past (we find out why towards the end of the movie). Since the main character and the teenaged nephew who has the main secondary role are not immediately sympathetic characters, the film needs to keep the filmgoers interested with the plot and the personal growth of the characters. Unfortunately, Casey Affleck never really experiences any personal growth, and ends the film the same as he started. Matthew Broderick is totally wasted in a cameo role. The scenery is beautiful, but the film is way too slow moving. Expand
ScarlettMiNov 23, 2016
I left this movie wanting to find an Oscar to immediately hand over to Casey Affleck. His restrained but deeply moving performance has easily been one of my favorites of the year. The movie is filled with impressive acting from everyoneI left this movie wanting to find an Oscar to immediately hand over to Casey Affleck. His restrained but deeply moving performance has easily been one of my favorites of the year. The movie is filled with impressive acting from everyone involved, but I feel like so much of it hinges on his ability to make his character's quietest and stillest moments say so much.

The movie is a powerful exploration of grief that works so well because it remembers that people don't stop making sarcastic comments and stupid jokes when things are awful. It's the humor that makes the sadness more genuine and affecting, because the characters feel more human and real.

It's one of my favorite films of the year.
tylerdillNov 30, 2016
I don't think I've ever seen a film nearly as 'human' as this. Every single performance in this movie is astounding, nothing comes across fake, or even acted. Such a fantastic movie, it is a damned shame this movie is not a wide release. IfI don't think I've ever seen a film nearly as 'human' as this. Every single performance in this movie is astounding, nothing comes across fake, or even acted. Such a fantastic movie, it is a damned shame this movie is not a wide release. If you have the chance to see this movie, do. Expand
GreatMartinDec 2, 2016
"Manchester by the Sea" asks how do you survive an unimaginable tragedy?? People handle it in different ways and Lee (Casey Affleck) becomes a totally cold, uncaring person who cuts himself off from all those he loves, leaves his hometown,"Manchester by the Sea" asks how do you survive an unimaginable tragedy?? People handle it in different ways and Lee (Casey Affleck) becomes a totally cold, uncaring person who cuts himself off from all those he loves, leaves his hometown, gets a job as a janitor in Boston, drinks a lot of beer and has fights in bars.

The first hour of the film deals with Lee before and after the tragedy, how he was a happy man, father, husband, brother and friend before he became the loner he is now. After his brother, Joe, (Kyle Chandler) dies, he comes home to find out that Joe has appointed Lee the guardian of his 16 year old nephew Patrick (Lucas Hedges) who in many ways is a typical teenager but is acting out upon the death of his father. At this point the director/screenwriter, Kenneth Lonergan, tells us what the tragedy was and it is almost to painful for the audience to hear and watch. For the next hour and 17 minutes we see how uncle and nephew interact and deal with life, Patrick with humor and sarcasm, Lee without emotions and staying as uninvolved as he can stay. We meet Patrick's mother Elise (Gretchen Mol) who has been out of his life for years, her new husband Jefferey (Matthew Broderick) Lee's ex-business partner and friend George (C. J. Wilson) but most important of all Lee's ex-wife, Randi (Michelle Williams).

While Affleck is getting all the attention in the reviews I was more impressed with 20 year old Lucas Hedges as the 16 year old who can break your heart and a second later having you laugh. Affleck does a strong job especially since most of his scenes have to be done in a monotone, showing no emotion and fighting the pull his nephew on has him as a human being.

Michelle Williams has a very emotional scene, lasting about 5 minutes, with Casey Affleck but as easily as I am moved in a movie's emotionally scenes, this didn't move me.

Gretchen Mol is wasted and Matthew Broderick has a very thankless part. The rest of the supporting players including Patrick's main girlfriend played by Anna Baryshnikov are all above par.

I love heavy, family, movie dramas but the bottom line is that "Manchester by the Sea" is way too long by 15-20 minutes which doesn't make for very much tension and though the scenery of Manchester by the Sea is excellent in all the seasons and there is no fault with the acting I don't recommend it.

Oh, yes, a very distracting soundtrack that more than once takes you out of the story.
kn55544Nov 21, 2016
mindblowing. Lonergan's amazing writing is paired with astounding performances from the actors. Definitely gonna be remembered for many years to come.
AxeTJan 1, 2017
Sir Alfred Hitchcock once said, "I don't make slices of life pictures. I prefer slices of cake." This is a prime example of why he expressed that sentiment and why he was the Master, and why so many are students of his to this day. TheSir Alfred Hitchcock once said, "I don't make slices of life pictures. I prefer slices of cake." This is a prime example of why he expressed that sentiment and why he was the Master, and why so many are students of his to this day. The filmmakers of this little indie slice of life film are not. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is naive not to realize the tenants of suspense apply to all stories and genres, that any good movie needs some form of imagination.
The writer/director here is trying to pass off a lazy, half baked, self indulgent, contrived excuse for a movie that is very slow, dreadfully boring, poorly edited (in the sense of economy of running time), and unevenly acted (at times it's naturalistic and real, while at others it's painfully forced and phony, with Casey Affleck delivering a suitably competent performance but certainly not outstanding by any sane measure)... and the critics just ate it up! They swallowed the pretentious void of story craft and lack of dynamics hook, line and sinker, as the herd on the scent of pretentious art films does, so often mistaking the pretense of art for actual accomplished audience pleasing work, or even difficult opaque but still highly worthy endeavors that require work on the audience's part. This thing is neither. Moviemakers should always work for the audience, not the other way around. That means even with difficult, challenging or disturbing material the work of story craft in a narrative must be done before it's given to the audience. To just throw up on screen some ramblings and musings (no matter how tragic or melancholic) that a screenwriter jacked off on the page and called it a day is no excuse for the lack of quality entertainment or "art" in any genuine sense of the word when it comes to the cinema.

Of course The Academy flock will also delight full course on this unpalatable slice of s--- too. Meanwhile we, those in and who work for the audience, shake our heads in disgust at the obscene deranged over-praise.
AcaciaJan 10, 2017
i don't care how great the acting is in this movie, it was not entertaining for me and I found it to be just dark, dreary and depressing. If I had a dollar for each time we were in a car, the movie would have more than paid for itself. Ifi don't care how great the acting is in this movie, it was not entertaining for me and I found it to be just dark, dreary and depressing. If I had a dollar for each time we were in a car, the movie would have more than paid for itself. If you are looking to be entertained, this is not the movie for you. The story is depressing and Casey Affleck's character is depressed. There is no humor at all in any scene. Awful! Expand
ReginthornDec 2, 2016
Manchester by the Sea is objectively one of the best Oscar bait movies I have seen. The acting is grounded and always character consistent. The character consistency is the key to the overall film’s success. Kenneth Lonergan’s directorialManchester by the Sea is objectively one of the best Oscar bait movies I have seen. The acting is grounded and always character consistent. The character consistency is the key to the overall film’s success. Kenneth Lonergan’s directorial accomplishment is utilized to anchor moments that might otherwise be drama cliche. The character consistency would, of course, be an even more impossible task without an excellent cast. Casey Affleck will undoubtedly get the quarterback like attention at the Oscars. What that comment means is I failed to see a single bad performance from the rest of the cast. For narrative, the contemplative structure allows the viewer a chance of gaining character insight without letting moments explicitly define the players. A tragic event will occur and a given scene only allows a character minor fallout before a transition in time. The cinematography is fine with an excellent focus on the little quirks one might find in a small New England town. In addition, the blend of cinematography and location lends to the rare cinematic experience of a story feeling like it came from a genuine place. Manchester is an uncomfortable film when it comes to dishing out any form of conclusion. The result is a narrative more in line with postmodern sensibilities. The ending can easily be dismissed as a typical indie climax. However, the conclusion is anything but a simple artistic gimmick. Seeing the ending as a gimmick robs rewarding the narrative of its logical continuation. In fact, I daresay Manchester by the Sea contains one of the year's best movie endings. To summarize, the butterfly-like effect of grief is the central theme I pinned down. The question, "Do I deserve forgiveness?" is also asked. I can’t say I admired the film as much on a personal level. The film contained a lot of scenes which were a little long for my taste. Additionally, the movie works better as an example of fine filmmaking over anything I can take with me in life. Many people will see the film as a relatable experience but nothing more. I am curious as to how long the movie will stay in the minds of the average viewer. Definitely, see the film for its cinematic accomplishments. Expand
netflicNov 27, 2016
Critics love this movie, and I expected something good.
But I was not ready for this. The film surpassed all my expectations.
Directing, acting, cinematography, script, attention to details. Superb! In my opinion, this movie is by far the
Critics love this movie, and I expected something good.
But I was not ready for this. The film surpassed all my expectations.
Directing, acting, cinematography, script, attention to details. Superb!
In my opinion, this movie is by far the best this year.
I hope it will win Oscar in February.

Directed by Kenneth Lonergan.
Main character Lee Chandler played by Casey Affleck.
Another stellar performance is of his ex-wife Randi played by Michelle Williams.
Brent_MarchantNov 25, 2016
A moderately entertaining character study with relatively profound explorations of issues like redemption, forgiveness and understanding one's limitations. But it's also often an exercise in taking itself way too seriously, with more than aA moderately entertaining character study with relatively profound explorations of issues like redemption, forgiveness and understanding one's limitations. But it's also often an exercise in taking itself way too seriously, with more than a few pregnant pauses, lingering shots of mugging emoting and throwaway slice-of-life sequences. Casey Affleck and Lucas Hedges turn in capable but overrated performances, though Michelle Williams steals the show with what should be an Oscar-winning supporting portrayal. Enjoy this one, but don't get taken in by the hype. Expand
saintsfan1255Nov 25, 2016
I have never cried and laughed at the same time in a film, however, there is a first time for everything. Kenneth Lonergan's Manchester by the Sea is easily the best film this year. I guess I should start with the acting, which is also theI have never cried and laughed at the same time in a film, however, there is a first time for everything. Kenneth Lonergan's Manchester by the Sea is easily the best film this year. I guess I should start with the acting, which is also the best this year. Casey Affleck shines in his role as Lee, a grieving uncle/brother with a dark past. I am not one who can see the future but I can easily say that Affleck will be getting a best actor nomination if not win best actor. Among the other future nominees, Lucas Hedges is a welcome surprise in his role as Patrick, Lee's nephew. Finally, Michelle Williams will probably be getting a best supporting actress nomination in her role as Randie. The acting in this film is impeccable and it definitely helps it destroy you emotionally. Another stand out is the writing, people are probably saying that this is the saddest film this year but they forget the fact that the film has a lot of humor. The humor is very unique in that its a stinging humor, every joke has an insult behind it (which is great). The direction and the cinematography is amazing and really adds to the amazing sense of place that this film has. You can really tell where you are (I don't really know how to explain it but it's good). Overall, this film is unlike many that are made these days. It doesn't spoon feed you exposition, it lets you come to conclusions on your own and it is very rewarding. Also, the film doesn't have a linear storyline yet it all makes sense. And like life, it doesn't have some perfect ending where everyone's happy, it is real and it feels as such. In closing, it would be a disservice to oneself not to see this movie because it is unequivocally the best film this year. Expand
swingDec 8, 2016
I was really looking forward to this movie because of the hype. Well acted. Well photographed. And interesting story. But it wasn't entertaining for me. I really didn't feel the emotion or the empathy. Not sure why not. It lacked something.
drambuie_Feb 25, 2017
First of all i LOVED the pictures in this movie.I just couldnt turn my eyes away for a minute. And then well Casey Affleck . Outstanding perfomance. On the one hand the old happy guy and then now one of the most depressed heroes of the lastFirst of all i LOVED the pictures in this movie.I just couldnt turn my eyes away for a minute. And then well Casey Affleck . Outstanding perfomance. On the one hand the old happy guy and then now one of the most depressed heroes of the last years so amazingly performed. Even his eyes and his silence was hurting,mourning. Just thank you and bravo. Expand
CheetahiceJan 24, 2017
Casey Affleck isn't like his brother Ben Affleck because he is still a rising star. This film deserved to win picture of the year at the Golden Globe Awards. I think that this film has the potential of winning at least one oscar scene it hasCasey Affleck isn't like his brother Ben Affleck because he is still a rising star. This film deserved to win picture of the year at the Golden Globe Awards. I think that this film has the potential of winning at least one oscar scene it has been nomanated for six. Expand
TrevorsViewDec 9, 2016
A man and a boy, one an uncle, one a nephew, are engaged in an intimate fishing lesson off the lake on Manchester, Connecticut. This melodic view takes us from here through the uncle’s cold spiritual journey of knowing his place amidst theA man and a boy, one an uncle, one a nephew, are engaged in an intimate fishing lesson off the lake on Manchester, Connecticut. This melodic view takes us from here through the uncle’s cold spiritual journey of knowing his place amidst the chaos of death.

Manchester by the Sea is written and directed by Kenneth Lonergan (Gangs of New York), whose hard work shows in how deep he is willing to dive into the darkest corners of everyone we meet throughout his record of memories. The lonely, depressed, recently divorced plumber we are invited to connect with has a lot coming at him; having lost his brother to cardiac arrest, and now left to be the only one left to take in custody of his now fatherless nephew.

From watching the heartbreaking flashbacks that depict the uncertainty of the plumber’s path, to the humbling, somber performance by Casey Affleck (no tears necessary), all audiences suited for the well-earned R-rating will be greatly moved by its rough depiction of an everyday story within an everyday life.

What makes the chilling power of this deceptively simple story so powerful is the consistently cold feel that Lonergan maintains from start to finish. Being set in the northeast, snow appears all over to reflect the plumber’s state of mind, and the cold is felt all the greater depending on the amount of stress tugging between him and his blood relatives. The screen’s empty starkness takes its time to linger on the quietest of moments, screaming the loudest of internal noises without saying a word.

Manchester by the Sea could have easily taken place anywhere in the world, not necessarily in one particular small town in one particular part of the nation. What makes the Boston-Manchester setting work to its advantage is its subtle handling of the culture, right down to the look, feel, and taste of the area. The much-needed emphasis on father and son bonding through the quietness of fishing bookends the film with the one single image that defines everything valued by the people who live there. Also similar to last year’s big Oscar-winner Spotlight, there is a clear presence of Catholicism guiding the lives of all Bostonians, whether or not they consider themselves religious. They claim that all Catholics are Christian, which is not believed to be entirely true by everyone, nor is it said so in the feature, but it works to the advantage of making the sense of hope they seek after touch much closer to home.

There are plenty of independent features out there that tackle the discomforting subject of family death and custody, but none of them handle it with the same level of detail, humanity, and personal application as Manchester by the Sea. It’s not the feel-good holiday treat you may be looking for this time of year, but considering how family and tragedy essentially go hand-in-hand, Lonergan’s scholarly study on the personal crisis will help countless others in what to do about a similar trauma.

Hence, I encourage all to see this masterful, humbling work when they get the chance to, but not just with anyone, with the relatives they are the closest to. That way, you can walk out of the theater together sharing the tears of your worst and best memories. If more movies had the power to do that, then Hollywood would at last be restored to its former glory.
CabanachatFeb 10, 2017
Wait to see this film until you know you have nothing to do and nowhere to be afterwards, particularly if you've ever lost someone close. An eloquent and profound observation of loss, love and life itself -- powerful in all the ways onlyWait to see this film until you know you have nothing to do and nowhere to be afterwards, particularly if you've ever lost someone close. An eloquent and profound observation of loss, love and life itself -- powerful in all the ways only intimate cinema can be. Stunning work from all involved. Expand
ckmontDec 5, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you love "feel good" movies, you might want to skip this one. There is no resolve or happy ending. This is the real, raw, and brutal reality of life after horrendous tragedy. Kenneth Longergan, the director and screenwriter, brilliantly articulates the void of life after insufferable and incurable tragedy. It may have been a crowd pleasure to write an ending where his nephew brings back the spark of life, but I found it more authentic to end it the way that Kenneth did. Casey Affleck's character, Lee, mentally imprisons himself for his past mistakes since the law will not do it for him. He deprives himself of every form of human connection or indulgence; going through the motions of life without fully living. This is a story of tragedy without healing. Casey Affleck's incredible ability to convey the long drawn affects of grief is Oscar worthy. Expand
jeffreyhDec 26, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movies ever made--boring, stupid, and flatline plot. Who cares about any of these characters? Dull, insipid, tired of limited vocabulary with f---. don't waste time or money on this. Expand
skh33Dec 9, 2016
This is one of the most depressing movies I've ever watched. Well acted, but very, very, very slow, and dark and the opposite of uplifting. It's a feel sad movie. The emotional torture of dealing with horrible life tragedy is wellThis is one of the most depressing movies I've ever watched. Well acted, but very, very, very slow, and dark and the opposite of uplifting. It's a feel sad movie. The emotional torture of dealing with horrible life tragedy is well represented, but watching it for two and a half hours is not fun, nor particularly illuminating. Expand
TheDavoNov 21, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A 6 or 7 out of 10 at most. A bunch of lame writing (Affleck has to rush back to Boston to his janitor's job rather than stay and raise his nephew) coupled with Affleck's emotionally flat performance makes for a ho hum movie experience. Won the audience choice award at the film festival I was at where I had seen several films at just that festival that were much better. Baffled at the ratings. Just NOT that good. Expand
jgzegerFeb 16, 2017
If you are looking to be entertained, stay as far away from this movie as you can. It is well-acted and directed but it is a bleak, depressing slice of life. I wish someone had clued me in beforehand as had I known, I would happily have givenIf you are looking to be entertained, stay as far away from this movie as you can. It is well-acted and directed but it is a bleak, depressing slice of life. I wish someone had clued me in beforehand as had I known, I would happily have given it a miss. Expand
fzaltaDec 11, 2016
I walked into this movie with all the hype in the back of my mind and no idea what the story was. I loved the cinematography - the acting was extraordinary but I found the storyline over the top and kind of overblown melodrama. what broughtI walked into this movie with all the hype in the back of my mind and no idea what the story was. I loved the cinematography - the acting was extraordinary but I found the storyline over the top and kind of overblown melodrama. what brought him to get so drunk? how did he survive the unsurvivable? I felt like they just kept adding reasons to not like Lee (Casey Affleck) while feeling sympathetic to the two ex-wives. I feel like they just wanted to create a Job-like character when in fact he is more of a self-destructive character. What brought him to drink and do drugs? Also - although I love the music overall - the placement of the sound on one speaker over whelmed the dialog and the emotions of the scenes. Anyway - great job by the actors - not so thrilled with the director or the writer's job. Sorry - I left the theater feeling as if I was taken advantaged of. Expand
morgan12345Dec 17, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very depressing movie, not for me. Good acting but I go to the movies to end up feeling good and this movie had the opposite effect on me. The young actors were very good. Expand
AxgrinderDec 22, 2016
This is an extremely dark movie. Critics love it because it doesn’t go for the happy ending. Casey Affleck will likely win an Oscar for Best Actor. Affleck plays an average lower-middle working-class guy living in a small coastal fishingThis is an extremely dark movie. Critics love it because it doesn’t go for the happy ending. Casey Affleck will likely win an Oscar for Best Actor. Affleck plays an average lower-middle working-class guy living in a small coastal fishing town. Michelle Williams (who is probably too pretty to be believable for the part) plays his wife, and they have three young kids. Affleck is a happy guy with zero aspirations in life and spends his free time boating, drinking with his buddies and dabbling in recreational drugs. The movie would have you believe that many people live this kind of life, and that most can get away with living a sloppy and ambitionless life without consequences but, in the dice game of life, Affleck takes a stupid gamble and rolls snake eyes. He becomes a haunted and angry individual who moves to Boston and ekes out a living as a janitor. Several years later, his older brother dies and names Affleck the guardian of his high-school age son. This could have been a movie about redemption. (It’s the obvious ending choice, and you will find yourself hoping for it, rooting for it.) Instead, you get a cautionary tale about broken people. Those who like this movie use a lot of adjectives to describe it like: "heartbreaking, genuine and powerful." It is all those things but, it’s also a movie without hope. The ending is sudden and abrupt like a cold slap in the face, a lump of coal in your Christmas stocking, or discovering the Grinch in your living room instead of Santa Claus. If you're looking for holiday cheer, you might want to go see something else. Expand
vesperizerJan 21, 2017
It's a mystery what all of the hype is about... Excruciatingly slow, bleak, boring characters and landscapes and about 45 mins. too long. If you enjoy watching someone take leftover pizza out of a fridge, put it in the microwave and watch itIt's a mystery what all of the hype is about... Excruciatingly slow, bleak, boring characters and landscapes and about 45 mins. too long. If you enjoy watching someone take leftover pizza out of a fridge, put it in the microwave and watch it slowly turn, you might like this movie (this was an actual scene in the film - about 1-2 mins. long). Expand
traderjoe9Dec 26, 2016
I can't believe viewers rated this movie highly. Although decently acted with adequate cinematography, the story was unredeeming about a man who experienced a significant tragedy but who is given a chance to turn his life around by his olderI can't believe viewers rated this movie highly. Although decently acted with adequate cinematography, the story was unredeeming about a man who experienced a significant tragedy but who is given a chance to turn his life around by his older brother who makes him guardian to his son. The main character is inadequate in dealing with his loss and his opportunity and fails to honor his deceased brother's wishes. We are all familiar with people who are overwhelmed by life's circumstances. We go to the movies to see shining examples of people who surmount these challenges and point the way turning things around. This movie failed. Expand
namelessDec 29, 2016
I so wanted to like this. There is much to like about the story but the editing combined with the director falling in love with the screenplay he wrote, turned it into a cliche of an art film. It is not Gome Baby Gone that Afleck did so well.I so wanted to like this. There is much to like about the story but the editing combined with the director falling in love with the screenplay he wrote, turned it into a cliche of an art film. It is not Gome Baby Gone that Afleck did so well. Definitely watch it, but on cable. It was so excrutiating at times, I so wanted to fast forward. Keeping the camera rolling while nothing happens does not make it deep, it just makes it indulgent. Every scene Michelle Williams is in is incredible. Would she deserve a nomination... YES. Expand
The3AcademySinsDec 3, 2016
This was one of the most honest, compelling, and beautiful movies that I have seen all year. Kenneth Lonergan has truly written and directed a masterpiece that will be admired for decades to come. Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams reallyThis was one of the most honest, compelling, and beautiful movies that I have seen all year. Kenneth Lonergan has truly written and directed a masterpiece that will be admired for decades to come. Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams really shine, but every single performance is spectacular. Every single actor completely transforms, and the honesty of this story left me feeling both full and hollow when I left the theater. This movie changed how I view grief and mourning, and masculinity. If you can only see one movie this 2016 Oscar season, make it Manchester by the Sea. This movie changes the game. Expand
Gala7777Nov 24, 2016
The film is pathetic. Dragging on, pretending to portray real feelings, this film is neither real nor (good) fiction. It is sentimentality on its lowest level with no real educational sense either. As far as the script, in one instant, theThe film is pathetic. Dragging on, pretending to portray real feelings, this film is neither real nor (good) fiction. It is sentimentality on its lowest level with no real educational sense either. As far as the script, in one instant, the creators didn't know how to get out of the drag, so they just turned the page, changed the music to a happy sound, just to fall right back into near senseless depression, and end the film on meaningless nothingness. How can other film critics not see the worthlessness of this 2.5 hour-waste-of-time? Perhaps, they are afraid not to get free tickets next time around. Expand
DOUGKFeb 1, 2017
Dull boring, the tragedy is used to try to give the movie something interesting but it is stupid and unlikely. Affleck acts like himself. Why make a movie like this? Critics are dopes.
aerosappyFeb 25, 2017
Beyond salvation. Horrible, dreadful movie. Makes me want to cancel Amazon and Redbox. Depressing, and it never got better. We kept thinking that perhaps the next scene would rescue the movie. But alas, this was one of the worst moviesBeyond salvation. Horrible, dreadful movie. Makes me want to cancel Amazon and Redbox. Depressing, and it never got better. We kept thinking that perhaps the next scene would rescue the movie. But alas, this was one of the worst movies we have ever seen. Expand
nvnickJan 4, 2017
I think some people didn't like this film because of "silence" and I usually am one of those people (for example, True Detective season 2). But, here it adds to the film somehow. The film rarely deals with the normal confrontational way dramaI think some people didn't like this film because of "silence" and I usually am one of those people (for example, True Detective season 2). But, here it adds to the film somehow. The film rarely deals with the normal confrontational way drama is presented. We often see the in between moments of the events, or the aftermath - and when paired with excellent acting this made it seem more genuine. There was something about the way it was written and the screenplay, that make the characters more real than those in most other films I've seen. Expand
nutterjrDec 29, 2016
Silence is often the most deafening sound. A loss can trigger the strongest of emotions. And there is nothing louder in this film than the quiet performances of its leads and virtually say everything especially in moments when no words areSilence is often the most deafening sound. A loss can trigger the strongest of emotions. And there is nothing louder in this film than the quiet performances of its leads and virtually say everything especially in moments when no words are exchanged. I watched this one as part of the London Film Festival 2016 and it blew me away for its equal measures of heart, houmor, love, despair and humanity. The casting is superb and deserve to scoop up the awards of the year in a story which even though one can guess from the start what is in its nucleus, we sit and admire the masterful director peel it off to gradually reveal an even richer and more layered core. Expand
SpangleDec 21, 2016
Utterly devastating. Bleak and unrelenting, Manchester by the Sea is akin to being bludgeoned repeatedly by an axe aimed straight at your heart. Once in a while, a film will come along and leave me in a ball of tears. Films can onlyUtterly devastating. Bleak and unrelenting, Manchester by the Sea is akin to being bludgeoned repeatedly by an axe aimed straight at your heart. Once in a while, a film will come along and leave me in a ball of tears. Films can only accomplish this, however, by putting the audience right alongside the characters and making us feel their pain and agony. Their pain becomes our own and it makes the experience feeling entirely personal. Manchester by the Sea is this kind of film. By the end, Lee Chandler's (Casey Affleck) depression became my own and, as a result, the film left me feeling heavy. Elegantly written, score, and directed, Manchester by the Sea is an operatic and thoroughly depressing film. If you are in a tough spot right now, either this film will be oddly therapeutic or just leave you wallowing in tears.

Anchored by an impeccable lead performance by Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea tells the story of Lee Chandler returning home to Manchester to care for his nephew, Patrick (Lucas Hedges). Thrown into guardianship following the death of his brother, Joe (Kyle Chandler), Lee is divorced from his wife Randi (Michelle Williams). Returning home brings up various bad memories for Lee, which makes the journey especially difficult. Suffering from a deep depression before and during his return as a result of these memories, Manchester by the Sea is an examination of the grieving process and how we cope with tragedy. For Lee, he has turned into an emotionally remote man who can hardly converse with anybody else. As he blames himself for his issues, his depression compounds upon itself and leaves him incredibly numb. For Patrick, losing his father only has an impact in quiet moments. Small elements - such as the fact that his father needs to be frozen until Spring when the ground is soft enough to bury him - bother him deeply. Otherwise, he continues on with his life and finds things to keep himself busy. For Randi, she is still deeply shaken by her own actions, rather than what actually happened and how she treated Lee as a result. Both Hedges and Williams are tremendous as well. Hedges truly shines when Patrick has a panic attack. Here, your heart truly breaks and Hedges' raw emotion and authenticity make the scene land even harder. For Williams, she absolutely deserves another Academy Award nomination. She gets very little to chew on, but when given the opportunity in a conversation with Lee, my God. Powerful barely scratches the surface of this scene. Williams is a revelation in this scene and, in one moment, steals the entire film. As a whole though, the acting in Manchester by the Sea is a step above the acting of any other film this year.

In examining grief, Manchester by the Sea takes the varied approaches as described above. Lee cannot get over his grief to the point that he can hardly be in Manchester. Patrick wants to continue to live his life. Randi is grieving the dissolution of her marriage because it did not need to happen. Though hardly profound, the film exemplifies that we all "grieve in our own way". Yet, the masterful element in this portrayal is its division between the sexes. When Lee is down, Joe steps up and cares for him. He shows emotion, yes, but he is in control. His emotion is bottled up and he is solely focused on helping his brother through this ordeal. For Lee, when Joe dies and after his own issues, he bottles it up. His only expression of his internal anger and pain is when he gets into bar fights. Part him needing to find out if he can still feel anything and part venting, these bar fights exemplify the way in which men often internalize their pain. Similarly, Patrick is headed down the same path with few scenes where he lets loose. Otherwise, as mentioned above, he simply goes along with his life of hockey, baseball, band, and his two girlfriends. Things do not alter much for him and, outwardly, he is laughing and as charismatic as he was before. His pain only comes in private when things remind him of his pain. Instead, he seeks distractions and constant chaos (depicted by Lee driving him all over God's green earth without end) in order to cope. Randi, however, has hardly internalized her pain. Instead, she vented at Lee in the past and, now, cried openly before him to express her agony of what went on between the two of them. Not to be too stereotypical, but women are certainly better at expressing their emotions and the film underscores this. When Lee and Patrick are together, there is a mutual understanding that they are both in pain, but neither divulge or open up as to how they are feeling. When Lee is with Randi, you can see how uncomfortable he is with this display of emotion, even if it is what he needed to hear.
tacklinfuelMar 22, 2017
This movie was a waste of two hours with good acting. No real plot line, just two hours of footage of some dude. Utterly terrible movie, truly stunned it has such good reviews.
GinaKDec 6, 2016
A wonderfully well-acted film, but it may not be for everyone. It’s a realistic “slice of life” about ordinary people. It is more like last year’s Spotlight or Brooklyn and less like movies that I prefer that are about something extraordinaryA wonderfully well-acted film, but it may not be for everyone. It’s a realistic “slice of life” about ordinary people. It is more like last year’s Spotlight or Brooklyn and less like movies that I prefer that are about something extraordinary – last year’s 45 Years, Carol, or this year’s Nocturnal Animals. It also is a long film although I was never bored and didn’t fall asleep. I hope this review helps because if you go to a film for excitement or to see something extraordinary, this film may be too “low key” for you although you may not regret seeing it. Expand
lunanulApr 4, 2017
Plenty of good in this movie, but many major flaws, including an overwrought soundtrack of low-register string music (also present in 'You can count on me'), and a forced sense of 'realness' that works in the early stages, but eventuallyPlenty of good in this movie, but many major flaws, including an overwrought soundtrack of low-register string music (also present in 'You can count on me'), and a forced sense of 'realness' that works in the early stages, but eventually turns grating and farcical. If you can endure to the end, great scenes emerge throughout, but heavily dampened by gratuitous gloom. Expand
AvrilDec 8, 2016
A masterpiece, in every sense of the word. A screenplay has never been this beautifully constructed and executed. Powerfully realistic characterization has never been so enthralling, so spellbinding. A dance so subtle, so beautiful, soA masterpiece, in every sense of the word. A screenplay has never been this beautifully constructed and executed. Powerfully realistic characterization has never been so enthralling, so spellbinding. A dance so subtle, so beautiful, so heartbreaking, you'd never want to stop. Hooray for story telling at its best. Hooray for nuances, pain and beautiful storytelling. Expand
leelustigMar 9, 2017
Fantastic acting and directing but a pretty overrated film with little to no re-watch value. Characters are limited by a narrative that tries to be mysterious but ends up messier than was needed. The overt usage of the New England accent forFantastic acting and directing but a pretty overrated film with little to no re-watch value. Characters are limited by a narrative that tries to be mysterious but ends up messier than was needed. The overt usage of the New England accent for comedic purposes was painful. Not a bad film at all, just didn't strike me as the poignant piece that critics made it out to be. Expand
cesgreenDec 6, 2016
Beautiful, very moving movie. Excellent performences and a script that wont left you unmoved. One of the best movies of 2016. Hopefully it wont take too long for the next movie to come.
yosemiteMar 31, 2017
Movies are generally classified under entertainment. This then can't be a movie because it does not entertain. The story is dark. The dialogue is dark. Affleck is a monotonous, one dimensional actor. Speaking is painful for him. The film doesMovies are generally classified under entertainment. This then can't be a movie because it does not entertain. The story is dark. The dialogue is dark. Affleck is a monotonous, one dimensional actor. Speaking is painful for him. The film does not have meaningful dialogue. The nephew was good as was Michelle Williams, although her role is not large. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if this film provided $10 worth of entertainment. It did not . My review ; don't see it Expand
wmvincentJan 5, 2017
Very disappointed with this film--mostly because of Casey Affleck's acting, despite my being a major fan (I think he has yet to surpass his role as Bob Ford in that masterpiece, "The Assassination of Jesse James"). I see that many haveVery disappointed with this film--mostly because of Casey Affleck's acting, despite my being a major fan (I think he has yet to surpass his role as Bob Ford in that masterpiece, "The Assassination of Jesse James"). I see that many have expressed dislike of the film but have nonetheless praised Affleck's acting. Can't agree. I myself don't think the film is Oscar-worthy. Frankly, it bored me. Affleck's acting struck me as one-dimensional; he seemed removed. And the fact that he didn't have an accent was a complete turn-off. After all, Casey's a Massachusetts native & his character was raised in Manchester. The fact that his character lacked a regional accent seriously detracted form this film's realism. (In a very funny recent SNL skit he played a Dunkin' Donuts fanatic from Boston & his accent was Just So.) I thought Michelle Williams was good in her role, but the real standout in this film was Lucas Hedges. I liked the ending. Expand
ManjitJan 26, 2017
A movie deserving of every award and accolade it receives. Well directed, great cinematography and superbly acted by Casey Affleck and the supporting cast. Hoping to see this walk away with a lot of awards.
stevenkDec 4, 2016
Superb. Oscar worthy film .acting, dialogue, screenplay, cinematography all superb. A realistic film about dealing with grief and loss and being human.
Uplifting without being saccharin.
MasterRileyJan 21, 2017
Manchester by the Sea is an honest and touching film about the reality of life and family relationships. From the writing, to the directing, performances, cinematography, and editing this movie makes the audience feel like they are spectatingManchester by the Sea is an honest and touching film about the reality of life and family relationships. From the writing, to the directing, performances, cinematography, and editing this movie makes the audience feel like they are spectating a tragic story of real peoples lives. It is filled with great messages, great characterization, and even some good twists along the way. It is definitely a must see. Expand
chicoche666Feb 21, 2017
This is a work of art. Simple yet complex. The directing and the writing by Kenneth Lonergan manages to be really elegant and told in a very subtle way.
Dunlop13Dec 23, 2016
Excellent acting, compelling story, but incredibly dark. Hard to watch tragedy unfold without some part of the story coming back to the light. You will not walk out of this one feeling good. But certainly appreciate the performances.
TalulaGreyApr 23, 2017
This is a very long slow film. Long. Slow. Film. It is also a very sad film. You know there is something going on but you don't actually find out what it is until about half way through the film. Then you're like, oh wow, that's gotta suck soThis is a very long slow film. Long. Slow. Film. It is also a very sad film. You know there is something going on but you don't actually find out what it is until about half way through the film. Then you're like, oh wow, that's gotta suck so hard... This is a film about not being able to overcome grief and guilt and in the end it's gutting because you know that there are people like that in the world. Expand
NWGalDec 30, 2016
I went into the theater to see "Manchester By The Sea" with great expectations because of the Golden Globe nominations it received -- best actor, best drama, best director and best screenplay. I'm surprised it received a nomination for bestI went into the theater to see "Manchester By The Sea" with great expectations because of the Golden Globe nominations it received -- best actor, best drama, best director and best screenplay. I'm surprised it received a nomination for best screenplay because too often there is no meaningful dialogue between characters or very little. Music now plays where words used to be. Can't any one write any more. And because of this lack of dialogue, Casey Affleck has little to work with outside of being depressed due to the deaths in the film. This film also has a lot of foul language, too many slow scenes and unnecessary scenes that I wished I could have fast forwarded through or that the director would have cut. The plot is good, but not ever film needs to be edited with meaningless flash backs. I understand why the director edited it like that, but some scenes were unnecessary. Can't writers and directors tell a story in chronological order any more? At least, sometimes. "Manchester By The Sea" isn't a bad story. It's just a film that you should wait to see on DVD, so that you can fast forward through the slow scenes and mute the offense language if necessary. Expand
JTCS_27Jan 25, 2017
An extremely well-written story, one that can make you feel the real weight and agony that the main character has inside its heart, the environment of this movie is extremely melancholic, yet beautiful and philosophical! This is definitelyAn extremely well-written story, one that can make you feel the real weight and agony that the main character has inside its heart, the environment of this movie is extremely melancholic, yet beautiful and philosophical! This is definitely the best movie of 2016! Expand
HarrySeesFeb 13, 2017
The whole thing (acting, directing, etc.) is quite juvenile. I was guessing scene climaxes halfway through the scene. Ex. the refridgerator scene. Felt like a film student project. Cliche strings with no chances taken. Two-plus hours wasThe whole thing (acting, directing, etc.) is quite juvenile. I was guessing scene climaxes halfway through the scene. Ex. the refridgerator scene. Felt like a film student project. Cliche strings with no chances taken. Two-plus hours was way more than was needed for the simple story's telling. I fought the impulse to walk out. Expand
3aprilFeb 17, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. man has all basic desires met...cute wife and love from her...healthy children...job...house and then life happens again and again and again. Biggest stomach turner is how disappointing people are trying (or not trying) to be therapeutic to him. They are self involved, insensitive, absent, or wanting something from him-- makes the void bigger in this poor man. Perfect acting. Perfect shots. Perfect story. Thanks so much. Expand
FranklySpeakingFeb 18, 2017
A very depressing movie.
You are pounded with F BOMBS throughout the movie.
Tries to manipulate you into accepting what you see is normal.
I can't think of anything positive.
itzmrmikeFeb 20, 2017
Not too often do you sit in a theater watching a movie for almost two and a half hours and wish there was more when the movie finishes. My new favorite movie. I have never been moved by such a story or screenplay. Nothing about this movie isNot too often do you sit in a theater watching a movie for almost two and a half hours and wish there was more when the movie finishes. My new favorite movie. I have never been moved by such a story or screenplay. Nothing about this movie is polished with Hollywood stereotypes or features. In my opinion this should win best picture. Landmark acting and directing and a wonderful heart crushing story. 10/10 Expand
mutleysmithFeb 20, 2017
This movie is a masterpiece, oscillating between grief and deadpan humor. Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams will make you cry and grieve and empathize. Other times you might allow yourself to laugh even as the tears stream down your cheeks.This movie is a masterpiece, oscillating between grief and deadpan humor. Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams will make you cry and grieve and empathize. Other times you might allow yourself to laugh even as the tears stream down your cheeks. You will love these characters with all their rough edges and machismo. Expand
WAAAMar 3, 2017
Manchester By The Sea doesn't go anywhere. I kept waiting for something profound to happen but it never did. The movie is boring and I can't figure out why it won awards..... Two thumbs Down... Booo
hallofrecordMay 7, 2017
Casey Affleck makes depression seem like a good time in comparison. The acting is good, but the story rises to the level of a bad dream. I could have a better time driving through the derelict parts of Detroit at night.
BHBarryDec 26, 2016
“Manchester by the Sea” was written and directed by Kenneth Lonergan and stars Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler and newcomer Lucas Hedges. This is a story of sadness and a series of ill-fated events that befall Mr.Affleck’s“Manchester by the Sea” was written and directed by Kenneth Lonergan and stars Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler and newcomer Lucas Hedges. This is a story of sadness and a series of ill-fated events that befall Mr.Affleck’s character, Lee Chandler, who is asked to become the guardian of his young nephew upon the sudden death of Lee’s brother Joe. ‘The performances in this film are noteworthy because they are understated yet immensely powerful as each actor communicates great degrees of emotion without overburdening the scenes with wordy laments. Kudos to the young Mr. Hedges who plays Lee’s nephew as he and his uncle Lee attempt to develop a relationship despite different lifestyles and aspirations. I give the film an 8 rating with a special spotlight on Mr. Affleck whose Oscar nomination seems virtually guaranteed. Expand
DirigiblePulpFeb 24, 2017
A commendable exploration of grief without the trite, requisite, sanitized conclusions and "happy" endings that leave people feeling good in the short term but completely unchanged for the long term. Director Kenneth Lonergan wants to showA commendable exploration of grief without the trite, requisite, sanitized conclusions and "happy" endings that leave people feeling good in the short term but completely unchanged for the long term. Director Kenneth Lonergan wants to show the real depths to sadness and grief. This doesn't include wallowing in it but instead living with it in the most mundane ways possible.

In that sense, Casey Affleck is perfectly cast. Some actors transform for their roles, some actors are born only for certain roles they already fit. This is probably the latter, though it's no less remarkable for being so. This isn't Affleck playing himself, but instead doing a soul-search within himself to play a variation of the kind of characters he was born to play. We are all the better for it. Lucas Hedges and Michelle Williams also do great work.

Lonergan finds a way to capture without exclamation all the ways in which a person can be ruined, without even being a bad person, while still dealing with everyday life. He's changed, but the world hasn't, and it won't just for him. This sounds depressing, and it can be, and it sounds nihilistic, which it's not. There is light in this, if you look, which is really the key after all.
StevieGJDDec 13, 2016
I never thought I would think or say this: but Casey Afflect tackles an emotionally complex and pained character and does an amazing job. This is well-written, well acted, emotionally devastating movie that reveals its soft underbelly in aI never thought I would think or say this: but Casey Afflect tackles an emotionally complex and pained character and does an amazing job. This is well-written, well acted, emotionally devastating movie that reveals its soft underbelly in a series of reflections from the main character's perspective. Without discussing plot, this film is really about an action that yields such terrible and life altering results that a person can never come back from the consequences. This could have been more of a pity party than it is, where there sort of a nobility in suffering. It is not a movie for everybody. It is too relentlessly depressing and hopeless for people who only want escapist entertainment from movies. But if you don't mind working for it the payoff here is tremendous. I really loved this film. Expand
TVJerryDec 13, 2016
After the death of his brother, Lee (Casey Affleck) learns that he's been named the guardian of his teenage nephew (Lucas Hedges). This means moving back to his small hometown where he left painful memories behind. This is a sensitive storyAfter the death of his brother, Lee (Casey Affleck) learns that he's been named the guardian of his teenage nephew (Lucas Hedges). This means moving back to his small hometown where he left painful memories behind. This is a sensitive story with loveably gruff characters who have a hard time expressing their feelings and often hurt instead. Affleck and Hedges are powerful in their subtlety and restrained emotions. The script by Kenneth Lonergan is intelligently crafted with eloquently mundane observations, while his authoritative direction is detached, yet sensitive (look for him in a cameo as a man on the street who berates Affleck for his lousy parenting). This compelling drama is impressively skillful and quietly affecting. Expand
HfahmyFeb 24, 2017
Extremely slow, overlengthy, events are dull and reiterated over the scenes. No real storyline that deserves 137 min. I couldn't appreciate the stereotype cold acting. Characters are unsatisfied with their lives. Boring snowy movie that gotExtremely slow, overlengthy, events are dull and reiterated over the scenes. No real storyline that deserves 137 min. I couldn't appreciate the stereotype cold acting. Characters are unsatisfied with their lives. Boring snowy movie that got much more than what it really is. Expand
imthenoobFeb 13, 2017
Loved Affleck's performance as well as the story. My one issue with it is that it's too long. Too many scenes of the characters just standing around doing nothing. This film could have been a near half hour shorter and been much more easierLoved Affleck's performance as well as the story. My one issue with it is that it's too long. Too many scenes of the characters just standing around doing nothing. This film could have been a near half hour shorter and been much more easier to sit through. Despite that complaint, It's still a good film and worth watching. It's just that the lengthy run time makes it tough to sit through without getting bored. Expand
WaelJan 25, 2017
Manchester by the Sea is in no way overrated critically. The film is overflowing with emotions, backed-up by a restraint, yet deeply moving performance from Casey Affleck who carries out the mission of portraying a completely broken characterManchester by the Sea is in no way overrated critically. The film is overflowing with emotions, backed-up by a restraint, yet deeply moving performance from Casey Affleck who carries out the mission of portraying a completely broken character with excellence. The directing and the score of almost completely opera tracks are a bonus. Great movie! Expand
Compi24Jan 9, 2017
Spearheaded by some of the greatest performance work I've seen from Casey Affleck, Kenneth Lonergan's "Manchester By The Sea" is as much an opus for the suffering salt of the Earth as it is an unrelentingly realistic and meaningful study ofSpearheaded by some of the greatest performance work I've seen from Casey Affleck, Kenneth Lonergan's "Manchester By The Sea" is as much an opus for the suffering salt of the Earth as it is an unrelentingly realistic and meaningful study of loss and trauma in the modern American landscape. And thought it tends to linger a bit in places and be a little bit too reserved in others, its the performances and tone that ultimately win the day with this film. Definitely worth a look or two. Expand
LeZeeFeb 24, 2017
The life doesn't reflect how we want.

The life doesn't reflect how we want.

First of all it was not based on any book, but you can see that book kind of effect in the storytelling. One of the best original screenplay, I won't be surprised if it wins the Oscars for that. I actually struggled in the opening to catch the storyline. Because the past and present overlapped while sharing the presentation alternatively. But it was about the present with flashbacks popping out regularly to join the tale by comparing/revealing the earlier events. So after few occasions, I got used to it and enjoyed my rest of the watch.

I always love good drama films. But not all the drama films I have seen are the masterpiece. So despite it was received so well from all the quarters, I kept my expectations low. The initial parts were okay, but its only during the final stage I begin to like it more. Especially the Casey's performance. I have seen him in many great films, in the big roles, but I think this one is his best, particularly from the positive perspective of the character he had played. Looks like the decade belongs to Affleck brothers. They have given great performances recently and acted in the great films that will be remembered for a long time.

This is the story of the Lee, a man who works as a janitor. One day he receives a call that his brother had passed away as he was suffering from the illness for a some time. Since his brother got divorced, all the responsibility comes under his belt, including his teenage son. Now those two struggles to join the force, but somehow manages all. Meanwhile, till the conclusion, the Lee's life before that point were disclosed to us, like how he struggled in his own life before coming to end in the current situation.

I could be wrong, but Casey Affleck's going to win the Oscars for his performance. Andrew Garfield is the other guy standing between his chance. I'll be happy whoever wins between them. I like Michelle Williams, but her Oscars nominee is meaningless. What, she appeared for 10-15 minutes in the entire narration which can be tagged as a guest appearance than a full fledged role. This is a fine drama, one of the year's best, deserved all the Oscars nod it got. Surely worth a watch and I recommend it.

TastyNov 30, 2018
In the scene of Affleck trying to shoot himself, that was how the cast felt when they first read the script.
FadeBlackMay 21, 2017
One of my biggest issues of a very dominant trend in both filmmaking and TV shows in the past few years is the overbearing strive and subsequent critical acclaim for material that is heavily realistic, presents "complex and flawed"One of my biggest issues of a very dominant trend in both filmmaking and TV shows in the past few years is the overbearing strive and subsequent critical acclaim for material that is heavily realistic, presents "complex and flawed" characters, but there is a complete lack of central morality or moral lens for the viewer. If anything about good and evil, right or wrong, morality in general is touched upon, it is strictly restrained to moral relativism, where it's always "up to the viewer" to form their own feelings, the filmmaker tries not to offer the slightest clue about his or her stance on the issues. Pretty much every last "critically acclaimed" TV show these days falls under this category, and a plethora of movies, Manchester by the Sea being the most recent example of the ones I have seen, though it's really not about one or two examples.

The issue I have with this "non judgmental" trend is that I firmly believe art, truly great art, should in some shape or form benefit society, not simply present it "as is." When society celebrates stories of moral relativism, it adopts moral relativism. Things that were, and for good reason, seen as clearly wrong, suddenly become "complex," up for personal interpretation, depending on "circumstance." And if challenged, the excuse is always "oh I'm not endorsing this, I'm just portraying real life without judging. This is what people do."

But when art abandons teaching moral messages, that contributes to society becoming morally anchorless and losing its scope of what's right or wrong. No, this definitely is not an argument about "violent movies influence violence in real life" or anything of the sort - it's not about what is portrayed, but how it is portrayed. And morality seems to have been sacrificed by many filmmakers on the altar of realism, with both public and critical acclaim embracing this with both arms.
BrianMcCriticDec 21, 2016
A film that gives you feeling of true life pain and anguish. Even as the characters try to suppress their pain you can still feel their grief. The performances are all strong and Casey Affleck has never been better. This is a film I reallyA film that gives you feeling of true life pain and anguish. Even as the characters try to suppress their pain you can still feel their grief. The performances are all strong and Casey Affleck has never been better. This is a film I really wanted to love from all the hype, but instead I really really liked it. A- Expand
moviemitch96Dec 10, 2016
Definitely one of the most real and honest-feeling films I've seen all year! And with performances that are as raw and honest as the overall film itself, this makes for one of the most deeply felt character studies for me this year as well.Definitely one of the most real and honest-feeling films I've seen all year! And with performances that are as raw and honest as the overall film itself, this makes for one of the most deeply felt character studies for me this year as well. The Academy might as well just give Casey Affleck the best actor Oscar right now, because as far as I can tell, no one else this year will likely come anywhere close to his compelling and moving performance that I'd easily rate as his best yet! Michelle Williams and her few brief but worthwhile and hearfelt appearances throughout also served the film well. Sophomore actor Lucas Hedges also delivers a memorable breakthrough performance as well. In addition, the whole film form start to finish had just the right blend of subtle charming and lighthearted moments to support its poignant dramatic story. Writer/director Kenneth Lonergan's screenplay might just be among my favorites this year with its straightforward yet often times quite impactful dialogue spoken from the characters in the film. Overall, simply put, this is without a doubt the most emotional-feeling and even human-feeling film I've seen all year! Expand
horizonbtsJan 2, 2017
This movie was well acted and well developed. I loved the way it held off giving you the whole story and background. It fed you tiny bits and pieces along the way, to keep you very interested in the main characters. Life can be tragic andThis movie was well acted and well developed. I loved the way it held off giving you the whole story and background. It fed you tiny bits and pieces along the way, to keep you very interested in the main characters. Life can be tragic and hard and this movie captures on that in a big way, and how like a big pill can be hard to swallow, life is that way too. Great movie and great drama, and again well acted!! Expand
Douglas56Feb 25, 2017
Just an outstanding film about ordinary people, based on a script that shines with authenticity, humour and sadness. The acting is fine too, with Michelle Williams perhaps the stand-out in a strong cast. It's the sort of story that stays withJust an outstanding film about ordinary people, based on a script that shines with authenticity, humour and sadness. The acting is fine too, with Michelle Williams perhaps the stand-out in a strong cast. It's the sort of story that stays with you for days after and, for all the heartache it reveals in our lives, still manages to make you feel good about life. Lonergan has a great eye for places and great ear for conversation. Some might find it trifle long but it's hard to see what you could cut. Expand
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
Casey Affleck deserves to at least be nominated for best actor on this movie. This is his best performance he's ever done. Along side with a fantastic script the movie really becomes someone special. This movie is speaking to a lot of peopleCasey Affleck deserves to at least be nominated for best actor on this movie. This is his best performance he's ever done. Along side with a fantastic script the movie really becomes someone special. This movie is speaking to a lot of people and I can see why. Expand
whooosaahMar 4, 2017
"Manchester by the Sea" is one of the finest movie in 2016. It's realistic, sad, and depressing. With 137 minutes runtime, i can't find any boring moment from this movie. Casey Affleck successfully elevates this movie with his quiet, and"Manchester by the Sea" is one of the finest movie in 2016. It's realistic, sad, and depressing. With 137 minutes runtime, i can't find any boring moment from this movie. Casey Affleck successfully elevates this movie with his quiet, and charming persona. For the first 60 minutes, you'll probably hate his character. But after that, you'll feel sad to his character and maybe you'll love him. Because how Lonergan represent Casey's character and give us a reason why his character hate this life is really touching in my opinion. Not all directors can build a character like that. And Casey executes it beautifully. Michelle, Hedges, and surprisingly CJ Wilson is also successfully bring their characters to life. Lonergan's decision to deliver the message from this movie with a slow but realistic act, is a masterpiece. The dialogue in this movie is so natural. There are no cheesy nor overly dramatic lines in this film. Which i love it. This movie proves that Lonergan is a fantastic director and writer. I'm glad this movie won the Oscar for Original Screenplay and Actor in a leading role. Affleck is really, really joining the ranks of giants. Expand
Jess_HillFeb 13, 2017
An astonishing ode to grief, this is a film which is worthy of the universal acclaim it has received. Affleck is exceptional, but it is the phenomenal script which enable the entire cast to excel. The soundtrack and cinematography provide aAn astonishing ode to grief, this is a film which is worthy of the universal acclaim it has received. Affleck is exceptional, but it is the phenomenal script which enable the entire cast to excel. The soundtrack and cinematography provide a well crafted backdrop to the storyline which plays out carefully, with the superb editing allowing the pieces of the narrative to unfurl elegantly, heightening the audiences understanding of these characters. Whilst the third act drags a little, overall this is an accomplished film worth anyone's time. 8.98/10 Expand
RvwFromUpHereDec 30, 2016
Who: Casey Affleck, Heath Ledger's wife, and the Dad from Super 8 as, Joe Chandler
What: A movie that's tag line is essentially, "it's really sad," that isn't all that sad.
Where: That place where Aerosmith came from When (Can I watch again):
Where: That place where Aerosmith came from
When (Can I watch again): Whenever you want to watch an Affleck give a great performance instead of saying stupid dialogue, or ruining Batman for everyone
Why: This is an excellent film with great Oscar potential, but I'd be shocked if it actually won.
kathytreeceDec 6, 2016
The movie was not what I expected. I enjoyed the characters, the scenery, and the plot. And Casey Affleck looks and sounds a lot like brother Ben. It was a good value for my money. I found it to be a positive and hopeful movie, despite theThe movie was not what I expected. I enjoyed the characters, the scenery, and the plot. And Casey Affleck looks and sounds a lot like brother Ben. It was a good value for my money. I found it to be a positive and hopeful movie, despite the sadness that some of the characters go through. Expand
Rebecca31Dec 18, 2016
Starring Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams and Lucas Hedges. This definitely has Oscars written all over it and for good reason. It's an emotional rollercoaster to say the least that will have you laughing one minute and crying another minute.Starring Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams and Lucas Hedges. This definitely has Oscars written all over it and for good reason. It's an emotional rollercoaster to say the least that will have you laughing one minute and crying another minute. Well I didn't cry but half the cinema sure did. Not an easy watch but it's a fabulous movie all round. I loved the story, I loved the acting and the soundtrack was terrific. Strongly recommended. Expand
rescaMay 5, 2017
Masterpiece, must see. The way flashbacks are used to give emotional context is just the best. Music, a bit underwhelming and length felt like it was bit too dragged up, but these problems can be forgiven when you look at the big picture.
RobBob99Dec 24, 2016
Once the first twenty minutes passed, I was consistently entranced in the story. In a subdued and nuanced presence, Casey Affleck delivers a master class acting performance which ended up being my favorite male performance of the year.Once the first twenty minutes passed, I was consistently entranced in the story. In a subdued and nuanced presence, Casey Affleck delivers a master class acting performance which ended up being my favorite male performance of the year. Emotionally draining and yet rewarding, Manchester By the Sea is one of the most natural feelings movies of the year along with the best. Expand
AquaMorphDec 27, 2016
One of the best written films I have seen in a while. The thing that makes this movie so wonderful is the ambition and range of topics the film covers. It handles several difficult topics in a masterful way. Characters will do odd things thatOne of the best written films I have seen in a while. The thing that makes this movie so wonderful is the ambition and range of topics the film covers. It handles several difficult topics in a masterful way. Characters will do odd things that lead the audience to ask questions then the films answers those questions in a way the enriches the character. The acting is amazing by everyone especially Casey Affleck and the film finds a great balance of humor and somber drama. Expand
AndrewLambertFeb 5, 2017
Lonergan's tale of family tragedy is bleak, slow viewing that treads a delicate line with its introspective approach, but the power of Affleck's quietly compelling performance carries it through.
SrPepeNov 17, 2017
Manchester by the Sea es un tremendo peliculón. Me encanto la actuación de Affleck y la gran historia que cuenta esta obra. Fue la mejor película que vi en 2016.
night4May 17, 2017
I'm glad I didn't listen to the Amazon reviews, because this is a freaking great movie. Casey Affleck is simply amazing. It's one of the best performances I've seen in... ever, I think. It's not easy to play such an introverted characterI'm glad I didn't listen to the Amazon reviews, because this is a freaking great movie. Casey Affleck is simply amazing. It's one of the best performances I've seen in... ever, I think. It's not easy to play such an introverted character well. For those that think he doesn't change as a person during the course of the movie, you should watch it again.

Some of the scenes where he acts out felt slightly forced, but I understand they needed to add at least a small amount of "action." Also, the use of Matthew Broderick was rather distracting. For such a small role, it should have been an unrecognizable actor.
macjMay 22, 2018
This has to be the most overrated movie of all time. I'm not opposed to a slower movie, I have the patience. But this movie was so boring. Absolutely nothing happens. I am stunned that it has this high of ratings.
alejandro970Feb 26, 2017
Casey Affleck and Lucas Hedges wears outstanding in strong, witt drama about carrying mourning and guilt, and two perfect strangers who tries to find themselves as uncle and niece. Of most possibles for Academy Award.
Seymour_MoviesDec 16, 2016
A moving movie that showcased outstanding performances from Affleck and crew (special note to Hedges) by allowing the actors to show off their ability in painfully long (in a good way) and tense screens. Multiple times throughout the movie,A moving movie that showcased outstanding performances from Affleck and crew (special note to Hedges) by allowing the actors to show off their ability in painfully long (in a good way) and tense screens. Multiple times throughout the movie, long takes during difficult scenes highlight the amazing acting by everyone involved. Lonergan flawlessly takes you on a journey that keeps you tense and awkward (in a good way) throughout by exploring extremely dark moments that are lighted by sprinkles of witty and often awkward humor. Expand
TrailesqueFeb 3, 2017
This film has garnered a lot of attention and critical praise, and has shot Casey Affleck's stock sky-high. There is nothing particularly ground-breaking going on here, just solid, straightforward drama about regular people in Massachusetts.This film has garnered a lot of attention and critical praise, and has shot Casey Affleck's stock sky-high. There is nothing particularly ground-breaking going on here, just solid, straightforward drama about regular people in Massachusetts. I have to say thou that it is probably a tad overrated. Casey Affleck plays a handyman who is unexpectedly handed the task of being a father figure for his teenage nephew, and as the story develops, we start to see the horribly painful past that has been weighing on him and pressuring him to act out. The star keeps a straight face throughout most of the show, which is appropriate for a tale of secret sorrow and repressed emotions. It is heartening that this kind of flick can be a hit in today's era. Expand
willingly_willNov 29, 2016
I love MANCHESTER BY THE SEA. Although I'm not a fan of YOU CAN COUNT ON ME or MARGARET, this one really moved me. The script is subtle, not everything is said but we know what the characters feel without them expressing in words. CaseyI love MANCHESTER BY THE SEA. Although I'm not a fan of YOU CAN COUNT ON ME or MARGARET, this one really moved me. The script is subtle, not everything is said but we know what the characters feel without them expressing in words. Casey Affleck is great (Oscar for him please) and Lucas Hedges gives a breakthrough performance. Even though everyone's raving about Michelle Williams, there's something off about her in this film, something's just missing. Touching with a lot of humour, great script, love it! Expand
KaptenVideoJan 29, 2017
The estranged brother (Casey Affleck) returns to hometown because his teenage nephew (Lucas Hedges) is suddenly parentless and needs a legal guardian. There's also an unsolved story with ex-wife (Michelle Williams).

This is the third movie

This is the third movie of writer-director Kenneth Lonergan who has previously made "You Can Count on Me" (2000) and "Margaret" (2011). I actually liked both but nothing prepared me for this kind of quality work.

Well, nothing except having only heard good buzz, and having read that the project has won 132 movie awards already (out of 156 nominations). No info on Academy Awards yet, but Affleck already got a Golden Globe for the role (best actor in drama).

But even more importantly, the movie is strong in every conceivable way. Directing, subtle but passionate acting, slow thoughtful mood.

The story is about being unable to cope with loss, just like it often is in real life – without eventual enlightenment or relief. If you push the grief down and hide it, it never really gets a chance to resolve and go away.

And sometimes one doesn't even want the grief to go away because it has become such an important experience, a real part of you. You couldn't even imagine yourself without it.

It's not flashy. During some of the more pivotal moments, such as the one seen in the picture abova, I almost wished it was flashier. But there's no doubt that the result is a powerful and moving. You will probably get misty-eyed. I know I did. But I'm easy that way.

I am pretty glad that Matt Damon didn't star in this because of the scheduling conflict and let Casey Affleck do it instead. I mean, I love Damon, but without him stepping down, we would not know how good Ben's younger brother can really be. And he does not have this bad voice anymore either!

The other cast is good as well, of course. Michelle Williams is one of the best American movie actress of her generation. Sadly, she does not have a big role here.
VirgonoShakaMar 24, 2018
To be perfectly honest, I don't like Casey Affleck, but after seeing this, I wholeheartedly agree to his Best Actor Oscar, his performance in this movie is amazing, worthy of every praise it gets because it not only holds the movie together,To be perfectly honest, I don't like Casey Affleck, but after seeing this, I wholeheartedly agree to his Best Actor Oscar, his performance in this movie is amazing, worthy of every praise it gets because it not only holds the movie together, but makes everybody else shine with it. This movie is one of those "feelers" but unlike other cheap ones, this really will make you feel a lot of things. Recommended for any true movie fan. Expand