Roadside Attractions | Release Date: October 21, 2011
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 162 Ratings
Watch Now
chidimeApr 12, 2017
Wasted an hour and a half of my life watching this. Movie is well made, but content-wise, it's probably the emptiest thing I've ever watched. Would make a good season premiere of a show, but an entire movie? I'll pass.

1 point for being

1 point for being well-made. 0 for content.
annbdJan 11, 2019
This movie appears with nothing, offers nothing, it's empty - no story, no point. -10 points.
MorriBeyNov 13, 2011
If you know what a Margin Call is then you will be disappointed with this movie. The movies way of explaining anything is to say 'in plain English'. Apparently no-one in the upper echelons of the firm know nothing about securities as it isIf you know what a Margin Call is then you will be disappointed with this movie. The movies way of explaining anything is to say 'in plain English'. Apparently no-one in the upper echelons of the firm know nothing about securities as it is boiled down to the lowest common denominator possible. This is no Enron- The smartest man in the room' - this is Fast and Furious. Fail. Expand
RobinsNestJan 13, 2012
How can a film be labeled a thriller and suspenseful when I know what happens? And how can any reviewer say that their review contains spoilers? I know what happened. This is just a made up story of what Mr Gecko said "... is good". I knewHow can a film be labeled a thriller and suspenseful when I know what happens? And how can any reviewer say that their review contains spoilers? I know what happened. This is just a made up story of what Mr Gecko said "... is good". I knew they all did the wrong thing, thought only of themselves ,and took the money. Not one person cared. If this fictional account of what may have happened prior to the biggest hit to our economy in my 63 years didn't happen, the film would not have been made. There is no one to root for. Mr Irons says it's a great story. Maybe if it weren't true ( the outcome). Why would anyone praise a fictional film about soulless, inconsiderate, selfish people? And none of these people paid in any way, they made a bunch of money and not only has no one gone to jail, many got hired by our government. They deliberately sold worthless paper (isn't all paper really worthless) and didn't inform their customers. Lying, no? All the people that lost their jobs, their homes, their savings hopefully will not see this and no one involved in it will make much money. The reviewers, the actors, well, the people who don't worry about paying a mortgage, eating, etc. probably find it amusing as once again they are sticking it to the rest of us. I am prepared to suspend belief and even a film with no redeeming value of any kind can still be a well made film with believable characters, except, when the disastrous outcome is true. This film does not enlighten (what is a margin call? does it have anything to do with what happened? with the film?) nor entertain. If you are unlucky enough to see it, hopefully you will come away angry. But to paraphrase some dialogue from the film, "nothing is going to change. there will always be the haves and have nots. F*** 'em." Expand
JockodebockooDec 11, 2011
I had high expectations for this movie. It was really disappointed. The plot was thin - no character development to speak of. And they way the story came together was absurd. I was hoping for a thriller - this was a joke.
duanewilliamsMay 19, 2014
This film is boring from beginning to end. It's not even a particularly good depiction of the greed behind the mortgage crisis. The harm done to ordinary folks is totally absent.
wishmasterMar 11, 2012
Not a bad movie, but the movie just was not attractive to me, bored me, the only thing salvageable was the decent performances, mainly the short appearance of Stanley Tucci.
cabritaJan 28, 2012
This film is so painfully dull. It does not fail because it's story but instead because of it's horrible choice of style and terribly slow moving plot. The film attempts to build tension throughout the film to lead up to it's climax. HoweverThis film is so painfully dull. It does not fail because it's story but instead because of it's horrible choice of style and terribly slow moving plot. The film attempts to build tension throughout the film to lead up to it's climax. However the climax is well done but the viewer feels nothing because at that point of the film they don't care what happens. The film try's to go into what's right and wrong among many other themes but ultimately all of them go nowhere with the last scene of the film being spacey burrying his dead dog. I either could not figure out the significance in this scene or like most bad movies there was no significance. Definitely the most overated film I have ever seen. Expand
AjedrecistaDec 22, 2011
As entertainment this movie is probably a 6 or 6.5. However as historical fiction, which the film purports to be, it is an inexcusable dis-education of the public as to what happened in late 2008. It actually takes quite a bit of financialAs entertainment this movie is probably a 6 or 6.5. However as historical fiction, which the film purports to be, it is an inexcusable dis-education of the public as to what happened in late 2008. It actually takes quite a bit of financial education to understand what happened. My suggestion to those who are interested would be to learn about leverage, the modern banking system, CODs and MBSs. Then read Ron Suskind's excellent book "Confidence Men." Expand
RenovatiaOct 12, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is just weird. The actors are great but the storyline and the content is very thin. An employee finds out the bank is leaking money for the past couple of weeks. After some analysis they figure out the bank is going bust. Everything else is stereotyping. That's all the movie is about. Stereo typing. This is how the movie goes:

*** Opening ***

Emotionless Assistant Human Resource Manager (Ashley Williams as Heather Burke) orders senior employee to go with her for a talk; Stanley Tucci (as Eric Dale) is being fired in a cold manner by Senior Human Resource Manager Susan Blackwell (as Lauren Bratberg). During the conversation Eric Dale's computer and mobile phone is shut down. A guard to escort the employee out is standing by already. Those cold hearted mean hedge fund corporations! Grrr!!! I think the message was clear.

*** The Shocking Discovery ***

Protegé of now fired Eric Dale researches the contents from a USB stick which he was given by said fired employee. Protegé finds out the investment bank is going down.

*** Personalities ***

Enter two more young conscientious employees. Now we have a staff of 3 young employees without a soul because the movie didn't give them any. But to indicate that Protegé is smart we're told he is a rocket scientist, but decided to work for this company because it pays better. So now we've established the discovery is made by a rocket scientist, therefore whatever he says must be true.

Enter Kevin Spacey. He has feelings. It has been established because he kinda tries to cry because his dog is dying. So we know Kevin is not a cold-hearted banker (LOL). Some character building here. (Offcourse, we can't have the great mr. Spacey crying in a movie. Are you kidding?)

Enter Paul Bettany. His character, Will Emerson, is... well he was in the movie as well.

Enter Simon Baker (as Jared Cohen). He's the link (a managing director) between Kevin Spacey and the Grand Admiral of the company. Was given a little bit personality in the movie. So he can push Kevin to do the 'right' thing to cover things up and sell as much of the assets before the company goes bust. Without mentioning that these assets are soon to be worth 0 Dollars.

Enter Demi Moore (as Sarah Robertson). She's paid to handle Risk Assessment, but she failed. So she tries to defend herself with a few sentences. During the rest of the movie she was just an object occupying space on the screen. Also, she spoke her lines at a weird, inappropriate moment. The script went horribly wrong here. I felt sorry for her.

Enter Jeremy Irons (as John Tuld). He da big man. #1. Grand Admiral. He's cool. That's his role. He realizes the world will be soon plunged in a world of hurt. But he's cool. The mastermind. That's all what he was. Being cool at a big conference table. And being cool at a lunch table.

*** Final Scene ***

Kevin Spacey, the one with the feelings, is digging a hole to bury his dog in. I suppose it symbolizes Lehman Brothers digging a hole to hide secrets in. Also, Kevin caved in and decided to play along and be immoral for as long as it takes. His team will sell worthless products. Kevin motivated his team to do so. Kevin needs the money. That's why he caved in.

To conclude. I give this movie three stars. The movie has no added value. Intellectually it has nothing to offer to anyone. Nor did the movie provide insights into anything. Don't expect to learn anything in this movie. Nor does the movie represent factual events. The three stars are for the actors because they did a decent job - though they weren't tested. Camera work and whatnot is fine. But this is where the good things end. Go see some documentaries about Lehman Brothers. For example "Inside Job" is good. Or roam YouTube about why the government didn't bailout Lehman Brothers, and feel the tension prior to that decision. So much better than this movie.

There's no reason for this movie to exist.