Columbia Pictures | Release Date: October 20, 2006
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 349 Ratings
Watch Now
MikeH.Oct 22, 2006
Not your daddy's biopic, with the usual rise, fall and redemption arc, and with no attempt at psychological depth, historical analysis or tightly structured plot. Instead, you get a gutsy re-imagining of a tired genre. Coppola gives Not your daddy's biopic, with the usual rise, fall and redemption arc, and with no attempt at psychological depth, historical analysis or tightly structured plot. Instead, you get a gutsy re-imagining of a tired genre. Coppola gives viewers a gorgeous, hypnotic tone poem of dislocation, amplified by the anachronistic music and cast accents. Definitely not to everyone's taste, but I had a great time. Expand
CurtisJOct 24, 2006
Gorgeous. Best in it's first half, and a bit flawed, but ultimately captures the rarified world of the court of Versailles through the eyes of the young-not-ready-for-its-intrigues girl queen. Ultimately sympathetic but clear on the Gorgeous. Best in it's first half, and a bit flawed, but ultimately captures the rarified world of the court of Versailles through the eyes of the young-not-ready-for-its-intrigues girl queen. Ultimately sympathetic but clear on the title characters disconnect from reality and 18th century politics. Expand
S.J.DOct 25, 2006
That was an amazing film. Alone, the imagery could have carried it, but Sofia Coppola wouldn
SteveK.Oct 28, 2006
I go to movies to be entertained and I can find artful movies entertaining, BUT this is an excruciatingly boring movie. The pacing is so terrible, it pains me to even think about it. Sophia Coppola went for art and instead we got this I go to movies to be entertained and I can find artful movies entertaining, BUT this is an excruciatingly boring movie. The pacing is so terrible, it pains me to even think about it. Sophia Coppola went for art and instead we got this self-indulgent piece of trash. I feel like there could have been some greatness here, but there is only so long a camera can linger and re-visit inanimate objects -- dresses, food, pets, jewelry, before causing everyone to slip into a deep coma. We get it! She lived a life of excess... We get it! They wasted lots and lots of money! And she still wasn't happy... WE GET IT! I don't mind the modern music... but there is no proper way to say that this movie is bad without using the word "trash" multiple times. Trash. Expand
DianaP.Oct 31, 2006
My eyes threw up from pretty. Off kilter. Adequate performances by the actors.
KevinF.Dec 11, 2007
If you watch this movie, you will die of dysentery.
CateE.Feb 21, 2007
Visually stunning, but how long can that sustain a movie for. You start to wonder during if you're watching Marie Antoinette being self indulgent, or Copala's self-indulgent movie.
MintonM.Feb 23, 2007
I simply don't get the carping over this film. It's IMPRESSIONISTIC, folks...something the French, and one young director present at the fall of her own family's dynasty, understand quite well. The film lets you into the mind I simply don't get the carping over this film. It's IMPRESSIONISTIC, folks...something the French, and one young director present at the fall of her own family's dynasty, understand quite well. The film lets you into the mind of a teen torn from her family and homeland and forced to marry into a very rich, very disfunctional family. She grows, if not up, at least into the role, does all that is required of her...and then is trashed by a country from which she was isolated and never allowed to understand. It's about how shallow ideas lead to shallow values...and has many lessons for our times--including major instruction on the virtues of empathy. Don't criticize the film for what it was never intended to be; appreciate it for what it IS, a far better work than this growing director's previous work and a sadness-tinged joy to watch. Expand
VernonW.Feb 26, 2007
Sadly, I was on a plane while watching this movie and could not walk out. In hind sight, I should have just listened to the music channels and enjoyed the cinematography (the only aspect of the movie saving it from a zero).
RichardP.Mar 24, 2007
Absolute pure, excruciating, painful agony of a movie to watch. I was made to watch it, although I must have done something really bad to deserve this kind of punishment. Urghhh, god awful.
AndyH.Apr 12, 2007
This is a masterpiece. It's a beautiful coming of age story, directed with panache by a gifted young director. The 80s indie soundtrack is a touch of genius, being used to convey with immediacy the emotions of a teenager in their This is a masterpiece. It's a beautiful coming of age story, directed with panache by a gifted young director. The 80s indie soundtrack is a touch of genius, being used to convey with immediacy the emotions of a teenager in their transitional years before adulthood. Anybody with a love of cinema should see this film, it's set to become a classic in the years to come. Expand
JohnMarkFJul 11, 2007
Very original and was interesting to view her life from her perspective.
MikeJJul 25, 2007
One of the biggest disappointments of the year! the trailer drew me in, but if you enjoy boring nonstop blabbering this movie is for you.
AlisonD.Sep 12, 2007
This is the best movie eva!!! I absolutely love it...it's soooooo amazing. You really do feel sorry for Marie Antoinette!
francescoSep 25, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is such a misconception about the so called flop of Marie Antoinette. Although the movie divided critics ,the major critic reviews were favorable if not very good or even enthusiastic.I am among the enthusiastic ones. First because I know very well the story of M.A. and how it is difficult to interpret her story without being wrong. What Coppola did was to portray a sympathetic portrait of a woman forced to be queen without any help by her mother, husband or courtesans.Coppola brilliantly succeeds to evoke the real situation of that 14 years old girl,who was all alone. Poltics is left out but we are in the world of M.A. I appreciate very much that Coppola didn't want to film the revolution period because if you want to understand the point of view of M.A. you have to forget that she was executed. Coppola is more interested to examine the woman rather than the Queen and her personal feelings towards the entire situation. Besides, we have to remember that this is a movie,not an historical account. The movie is loosely inspired by the book of Antonia Fraser. I believe that Coppola is a very outstanding director. Kirsten Dunst was simply perfect and,in my opinion,deserved more recognition than what she had. She gave a very honest and moving performance.She was fantastic as the naive,spoiled,sensitive,frivolous and unaware Queen. But this is only one of the many sides of that woman. Coppola didn't show us the other aspects of the Queen because she has other purpose that is humanizing the despised and misunderstood Queen of France. There is not her political side , her faults and her disadvantages .It's the private side that only few people knew and not her public side. The supporting cast is appropriate as well. To me the movie was very snubbed by the Academy since I believe that it should have been nominated for best director and best actress.The movie was never meant to be an in depth biography.It could not be a substitute of a book .Coppola portrayed the elements of her story that fit to her trilogy of films(Lost in translation and The virgin suicides). But I think that the main problem is that someone doesn't like Coppola style.A very underrated great director. Expand
TyranianApr 11, 2019
This is so lavishly made its hard not to appreciate, the story is meh but the spectacle is impressive.
SpangleJan 5, 2017
A tale of decadence and elegance, Marie Antoinette is not your run-of-the-mill biopic period film. Instead, director Sofia Coppola opts to show how to properly light up the night in 18th century France. Complementing the constant party andA tale of decadence and elegance, Marie Antoinette is not your run-of-the-mill biopic period film. Instead, director Sofia Coppola opts to show how to properly light up the night in 18th century France. Complementing the constant party and gossip is modern pop rock that infuses the film with a modern take that matches the extravagant unconventionality of Marie Antoinette. Right down to this music, this film is about the life of Marie Antoinette. Guillotined as part of the French Revolution, Coppola's film ends before this and includes no addendum at the end of the film revealing the fate of its characters. While the film itself is hardly historically accurate, this move is deliberate and underscores what Coppola's film is about: her life, not Marie Antoinette's death or reality. She merely takes moments of her life, exaggerates them, or creates them in order to paint a picture of who Marie Antoinette was, both the good and the bad.

Decried by French critics for not criticizing Marie Antoinette's (Kirsten Dunst) life of luxury, it only feels fair that the film does not do this. Criticized endlessly in her life for her expensive taste, inability to consummate her marriage (not her fault), and being an Austrian in France, it is about time somebody not overtly criticize the woman. Whether she was nice or not, she certainly had her positive elements and, in the film, was dedicated to her people and her children. She never acted within hostility towards others and did not partake in the catty gossip that permeated the palace. Now, of course, the film does show her decadence, vapidness, and affair, which cast a shadow on her. While it does not chastise these actions, their inclusion shows that the film is fair and balanced when it comes to its main character.

Of course, the film is not completely fair when it comes to the people of France. But, honestly, who cares? Marie Antoinette is a film about flair and party. Sofia Coppola embraces this by ignoring history and focusing upon the style of the film and the lavish costume design. Decked head to toe in diamonds, this is a film about excess. Described as a satire or a comedy, the film embraces this with its tongue placed firmly along its cheek when critiquing palace life throughout. For example, a scene where Kirsten Dunst stands naked awaiting somebody to dress her, but she must be dressed by the highest ranking person in the room. Unfortunately, this keeps changing as more and more people walk into the room. Incredibly comical, this scene underscores the comedic tone of the film, which is subtle but ever present. At all times, Coppola eschews the serious tone of many historical films in favor of a light take on a serious subject. Often times, this will fail, but it somehow finds a way to work in this film. Thus, by embracing the decadence of the royal family, Coppola finds absurdity through the parallel created by their extravagance and the poverty of the French people and the debt situation.

Visually, Marie Antoinette is stunning. With breathtaking cinematography that made me physically angry with how beautiful it was, the film's visuals are tremendous. Repeated shots of the stairs leading up to the palace, long shots from and of the palace, and shots of men riding horses from a distance, this film is incredibly gorgeous. Of course, what helps this is the lavish color scheme. Blending a variety of colors, the colors in the film are largely introduced by the costumes. With elegantly crafted costumes that burst with flair and color, Marie Antoinette is a gorgeously dressed film that visually defines the wealth and power of the French royal family at the time. By the end, when the French people revolt, it is not hard to see how they could find issue with the family's display of wealth.

One of the more compelling elements of this film, however, is the gossip. With Marie Antoinette constantly surrounded by the catty gossip of the palace. The impact of this is a claustrophobic environment that shows the shallowness of the courtroom. As she and other women of the court are constantly under examination and inspection with absurd expectations abounding, the film finds even more entertainment. With the gossip feeling oddly modern and akin to a high school clique, this is where Coppola turns the film almost into a historical Mean Girls. Those surrounding Marie Antoinette are more cruel and judgmental towards her and others than the people who eventually would have her beheaded in the revolution. Of course, there is also comedy in these high expectations as the King (Rip Torn) has a mistress and she is forced upon the women of the court. The women are appalled by her and her conduct, even though they themselves have sex and there is a constant obsession with getting Marie Antoinette to consummate her marriage with Louis XVI (Jason Schwartzman). Coppola does not shy away from showing this absurdity of expectation with Louis being the one afraid to have sex
liontigerbearJul 23, 2012
Marie Antoinette is a gorgeously stunning film, less about Marie Antoinette than about a lonely girl trying to deal with situation. The costumes, cinematography and sets are all beautiful, as are the characters, with a subdued and heartfeltMarie Antoinette is a gorgeously stunning film, less about Marie Antoinette than about a lonely girl trying to deal with situation. The costumes, cinematography and sets are all beautiful, as are the characters, with a subdued and heartfelt performance by Dunst. The plot may have some weaknesses but it's execution is superb and ultimately saddening. Expand
pinkriotlettuceNov 15, 2012
Everything about this movie screams a full rated revolution to a modern outlook on Marie, music, and France. The tone, the structure, and a strong lead provide an exquisite film.
kat267Aug 7, 2015
This is a great costume and fashion movie! From what we learn, Marie Antoinette was addicted to luxuries and this movie realistically shows that with all the gorgeous designs. Not very educational, but it's meant for the drama and glamour.
BroyaxAug 17, 2018
Une vision pas totalement dénuée d'intérêt de notre très défunte autrichienne Reine de France si délicatement incarnée par une Kirsten Dunst radieuse et magnifique, trop délaissée ici par notre bon Roi Louis le Seizième dépeint comme unUne vision pas totalement dénuée d'intérêt de notre très défunte autrichienne Reine de France si délicatement incarnée par une Kirsten Dunst radieuse et magnifique, trop délaissée ici par notre bon Roi Louis le Seizième dépeint comme un nigaud et un maladroit, pour ne pas dire un benêt sévèrement et constamment à la masse ou presque. On sait que ce n'était pas vraiment le cas mais passons...

Cela dit, Marie-Antoinette était tout aussi déconnectée de la réalité du peuple, oisive et "fashion victim" des éventails, coiffures, **** fours et coupes de champagne : la frivolité personnifiée. Lorsqu'on vit royalement à Versailles, comment pourrait-il en être autrement dans le cadre enchanteur si proche et en même temps si éloigné de Paris et de sa populace vociférante ?

Le film de Sofia Coppola n'a certainement pas de prétention en matière d'exactitude historique (le contraire serait alarmant) mais se veut une sorte de nostalgie royaliste un brin décadente. Une esthétique très appréciable habite son film même si l'on est régulièrement choqué par l'ajout de musique moderne branchouille qui n'a rien à faire là. Tout cela est vaporeux et léger mais finit par lasser bien avant la première moitié du film : on est tellement lassé qu'on zappe alors la seconde moitié très répétitive qui escamote d'ailleurs presque totalement la Révolution et la fin de règne de ces têtes couronnées qui la perdront assez rapidement...

C'est là une occasion manquée de mettre en opposition la vie volage avec les contingences d'un retour à la réalité révolutionnaire qui a dû être extrêmement brutal, psychologiquement parlant. Tout cela est éludé, hélas ! A noter que contrairement à ce que pensent les Américains, il n'y avait pas de gens de couleur à la Cour de France, non, non. Sur les galères oui mais pas à la Cour.

Un film aussi volage, aussi futile que ses intentions, finalement trop superficielles pour faire le poids malgré la majesté des costumes et le souci de l'Etiquette. Kirsten y est superbe mais ne peut rien pour sauver le film de son naufrage dans les lenteurs, le superflu et le blingbling.
FilipeNetoFeb 20, 2018
This film seeks to present the life of Queen Marie Antoinette of France from a sweet perspective, since the moment she arrives at the French court until the beginning of the Revolution. With direction and screenplay of Sofia Coppola, thisThis film seeks to present the life of Queen Marie Antoinette of France from a sweet perspective, since the moment she arrives at the French court until the beginning of the Revolution. With direction and screenplay of Sofia Coppola, this movie features Kirsten Dunst as the French queen.

When I saw this movie for the first time I loved it because of the scenarios (the Palace of Versailles is, definitely, one of the most beautiful and iconic in the world) and the historical accuracy of the costumes (this film won the Oscar for Best Costume Design, and certainly deserved it). But even during this initial view, I don't like the way, very light and almost adolescent, as the film tells the story of this French queen, whose life was much less happy than was shown. In fact, when I was watching it a second time, and after the initial amazement, I understand that this film strips all drama of Marie Antoinette's, turning her in the baroque equivalent of a frivolous and spoiled teenager of our time. This was a total mistake and doesn't help to see her from a more human perspective (if that was Coppola's intention). The film focuses on the clothes, the gold, the luxury and the court flirtations, having the dramatic depth of a glass of champagne. Sofia Coppola ignored the history of the queen who wanted to present, ignored the reality of France at that time, ignored how to make a good movie... well, she ignored everything that should have never ignored. I will not even going to comment on the mediocrity of the soundtrack or that unfortunate scene of the All-Star shoes. Not worth talking about it. What this movie is good is the scenery and costumes. Just that, and that isn't enough to make it a good movie.
ahmedaiman1999Apr 30, 2019
The all-style-no-substance approach Sofia Coppola took worked impressively, and enticingly, well up till half of its runtime. The lack of a developed script then begins to hamper my enjoyment of the movie, as it gradually becomes monotonous.The all-style-no-substance approach Sofia Coppola took worked impressively, and enticingly, well up till half of its runtime. The lack of a developed script then begins to hamper my enjoyment of the movie, as it gradually becomes monotonous. And at its third act, Marie Antoinette falls .... flat! But at least the third act showcases the movie's relentless eye candy through some of the most dazzling colorful landscapes and costumes my eyes have ever had the pleasure to witness!

(7/10)