Paramount Pictures | Release Date: July 12, 2002
Universal acclaim based on 220 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
CodyZamboniAug 3, 2019
I saw the 2008 fully restored 2 hour 45 minute version on TCM recently. A triumph of production design. Amazing, towering sets, populated by a cast of literally thousands, are the primary reasons for watching this movie. The silly paraI saw the 2008 fully restored 2 hour 45 minute version on TCM recently. A triumph of production design. Amazing, towering sets, populated by a cast of literally thousands, are the primary reasons for watching this movie. The silly para Marxist storyline, and near hyper comical acting bogs down this handsome production. That's why I gave it only a 5. Expand
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
It's definitely the best silent film ever crafted, and arguably one of the best movies of all time. Silent films usually try to avoid complex plot and multiple storylines because of the limitations of the medium, but Fritz Lang succeeds inIt's definitely the best silent film ever crafted, and arguably one of the best movies of all time. Silent films usually try to avoid complex plot and multiple storylines because of the limitations of the medium, but Fritz Lang succeeds in connecting all of the loose ends in his monumental vision to produce one of the greatest stories to grace the silver screen. Expand
EpicLadySpongeMar 18, 2016
Another great film to review. This time, we're going under the fame on Metropolis which is actually kinda similar at first though. Then I realized it's an adventure.... a great one though.
ZorglyFeb 10, 2011
The single most influential film in history. Modern sci-fi would not even exist if it wasnt for this masterpiece. The worlds look amazing and completely unique. Camera work and editing is creative and 1 of a kind. Brigitte Helm could have oneThe single most influential film in history. Modern sci-fi would not even exist if it wasnt for this masterpiece. The worlds look amazing and completely unique. Camera work and editing is creative and 1 of a kind. Brigitte Helm could have one of the best female performances of all time, her facial expressions as the machine are insane. One of the best films of all time no contest. If you say otherwise your mentally incapable of viewing film. People said this movie is "to formulaic". THATS BECAUSE IT CREATED THE FORMULA! It was 1927 for goodness sake. The first of it's kind. I watched it again now in 2011 and it still creates emotional impact on the viewer. Not only one of the best films of all time, one of the greatest pieces of art of all time. Expand
Fanaro009Jul 11, 2014
It is incredible to imagine someone doing such a movie with little technology and right at the beginning of cinema history. I would have been deeply amazed if I were to watch it when it premiered. This movie makes me even more incredulous toIt is incredible to imagine someone doing such a movie with little technology and right at the beginning of cinema history. I would have been deeply amazed if I were to watch it when it premiered. This movie makes me even more incredulous to watch most of the crap which has been released in the past decade, shameful. The only aspect that makes me don't want to give it a 10 is the usage of some silly archetypes, such as the malefic villain or the ultra-naive main character. This is the same case when it comes to literature, characters in real life are much more likely to be dialectic than dichotomic. Expand
PanchogulJun 24, 2019
Una película de visualización OBLIGATORIA para todo aquel que ame el cine independiente del género de preferencia, es totalmente adelantada a su época y es visual y auditivamente una delicia, imperdible.
_KeikoAug 1, 2017
this is actually pretty good . .
HalukHalisFeb 3, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metropolis (1927)
Directed by: Fritz Lang
Genre: Drama/Science Fiction
Rated: PG
Starring: Gustav Frolich, Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel, and Rudolph Klein-Rogge
General Public Review: 91.5/100

Reviewed by: Hh

In Short: Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927) is the landmark/seminal silent film of the Science Fiction genre and perhaps even the greatest Science Fiction films.

We are the head and the hands; different respectively; our visions and our actions make us who we are. Yet we are all the same. That's one of the messages I believe is trying to be conveyed here, at least the most important.

The film has, as a whole, themes directly representing German expressionism, yes this is true, and we may see it this way and be content. As for myself, this masterpiece of a film revealed much more to me than what was palpable for a movie created in such a time. I am not denying that what was evident in Germany didn't seep its influence over the film. It's here believe me. Before I venture further let me lay down the essentials for those who have seen it; the film is silent and may not appease a lot of today's viewers of demanding Sci-Fi, so its understandable that one who doesn't plan on viewing it may sink into the spoilers:

Metropolis is as much about its ominous futuristic advancement of edifice and technology as it is about its more human aspects: it's characters. The opening sequence describes to us with visual transitions of gears as a part of the breathtaking city deemed Metropolis forming into the workers of our narrative, the hands. We are soon introduced to Freder, our main protagonist, slightly enjoying the life of the upper class when a mysterious beauty named Maria brings children who belong to the depths workers to Feeder's garden. She evokes him and piques his interest, slightly due to her beauty, by explaining that he should be helping his brothers and his sisters. Directly speaking of the workers who lie below, he seems interested in her plea and tries to chase her and speak to her. He ventures to the Heart Machine and there he witnesses an explosion, where he officially sees the plight and hardship of the workers below. This machine plays a trick to his mind and imagines that what he is seeing is a monster that is consuming these people. "Fed by flesh!" -- "Blood that lubricates the machine!" He feels a natural repulsion for such men and seeks to exhort his father into his wrongdoings. This becomes fruitless, and he then seeks to swap lives with one of the workers and soon finds Maria. Where with her Christ-like ambitions explain to these poor impoverished men and women, how The Tower of Babel (or Metropolis itself) is an idea for the head, and for those who fueled its creation and its destruction had the idea endowed to the hands; each without understanding can never bring peace among themselves. There has to be a mediator, and its the heart that is that every mediator. There, I believe, is a profound take on a religious perspective for such themes here. When Maria implores and leads these workers with her speech, she is surrounded by the Cross. When she speaks of the heart, she says, "Wait, he will come for us." The imagery throughout supports this idea. In the end, Freder is chosen to be that very mediator and its shown here at the threshold of the city's Cathedral man uniting man, heart uniting hand and head. Fitting to end at a Gothic Cathedral, with villain and hero scaling its structure and dueling for a beauty. Reminiscent of The Notre-Dame Cathedral by Victor Hugo, but I won't be picky about this. The film is all about visual storytelling, it's perhaps one of the vastest epics I've ever had the pleasure to come across. With effects and set pieces far beyond its time, I undoubtedly would consider this a masterpiece on this alone.
Its the imagery of Hope, Compassion, our Similarities, our Plights, and our Prosperity, that signifies great importance that can be consumed by viewers today as much as those of the past to solidify its message. So yes, I do believe all should watch this film, and be placed in awe of how gargantuan not only the technical achievement the film persuades, but its message about humanity, no matter how small one might find it as. I myself believe it to be a small rendition of the overall impact of life itself, but an important indelible one portrayed through the wonderful art of filmmaking at that.

FreddoFazbeardoApr 12, 2020
I thought this was a good movie, but it was not like that, anyway, the story was boring and I felt weird to see it
AndrewHordMay 29, 2020
I don`t know,but i just can`t like this film.I`m not a person,who hate old films.I like them very much,however ,i think ,this one is out of time
BronanSep 20, 2013
Interesting movie, and I can see why it gained high praise for it's time... But the 1980s soundtrack RUINED the movie! The Music is completely out of place and has no actually connection of mood or ANYTHING to any part of the movie. ThisInteresting movie, and I can see why it gained high praise for it's time... But the 1980s soundtrack RUINED the movie! The Music is completely out of place and has no actually connection of mood or ANYTHING to any part of the movie. This movie would be MUCH better if it had an orchestral soundtrack. Very random in terms of scene switching, too fast paced. Expand
mrhulot_Mar 7, 2011
One of the most influential movies ever made,and a must-see.Unfortunately,while the film is visually stunning,it's a bit weak in the story department, which keeps me from giving it a 10.
lasttimeisawNov 19, 2012
Out of admiration and reverence, Fritz Lang
analogkid280Feb 26, 2013
Timeless storytelling that transcends generations and countries. You can see many influences from novels of that era. Even if the era is 86 years ago. Many themes are presented with the deadly sins. The building of the pyramids are evenTimeless storytelling that transcends generations and countries. You can see many influences from novels of that era. Even if the era is 86 years ago. Many themes are presented with the deadly sins. The building of the pyramids are even touched on. The good and evil shown with the false Maria and true Maria. This movie is worth a watching even if it is for respect for the filmmakers who surely never expected people to be watching this film so many years in the future, and possibly the future they were dreaming of when creating this masterpiece. Expand
Nobilis1984Feb 2, 2014
The ultimate science fiction film that fascinates today.
Fritz Lang has created an eternal masterpiece.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
DenisManuOct 12, 2014
Fritz Lang's Metropolis is a thrilling masterpiece and definitely one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made.With meaningful moments,good looking visuals,good performances and a great delivered message, this movie is epic!
tjman09Oct 22, 2015
In 1927, during one of the harshest times in recent history, German Expressionist director Fritz Lang made Metropolis. Metropolis is one of the most historically important films ever made, because it was an artistic German ExpressionistIn 1927, during one of the harshest times in recent history, German Expressionist director Fritz Lang made Metropolis. Metropolis is one of the most historically important films ever made, because it was an artistic German Expressionist masterpiece, that boldly challenged the Nazi Party, and still has a massive impact on cinema today. It was an angry film pointed at its geographical time and place, but it also offered some major positives for the industry.
Lang used several techniques that have become recognized as key elements of German Expressionism, most noticeably lighting. A good example of this was the scene that introduces Maria for the first time, multiple times contrasting lighting techniques were used to highlight particular characters. This technique gave Maria an angelic look, when she spoke, as well as highlighting the reactions of particular characters.
Another element of german expressionism was. These lighting techniques were also used often with the presence of the character Rotwang, with this character various lighting techniques were used to make his rooms darker, and give Rotwang large shadows. Just by lighting techniques Lang told the audience how to feel about certain characters, something many filmmakers have since copied.
These lighting techniques are great examples of German Expressionism, but they also help shape the narrative, and tone of the film. The narrative of Metropolis leans in the direction of formalist, because it very heavily promotes a thematic point, has a scrambled sense of time, and is occasionally intruded with the director’s style. The film’s narrative has very clear religious parallels and a clear message, against the Nazi Party, and their regime. At a time when the amount of propaganda films were rising, Metropolis was able to send a message with clever subtlety.
The evidence that Lang was angry with the, at the time, new Nazi Party is evident through the religious parallels, especially with Israel. It’s no secret how the Nazi’s felt about members of the Hebrew religion, and the parallels often connected to the Hebrew religion. The catacomb scene in the film contains the best examples of this as the candles behind Maria resemble a menorah, the iconic candle that the Hebrew religion celebrates Hanukkah with.
Maria has a very close association with the woman in Revelation 12, it seems relevant to point out that in the catacomb scene the candles behind Maria, may represent the crown of twelve stars. The religious parallels combined with the well known fact that Fritz Lang didn’t like the Nazi Party, most likely because of his Jewish heritage, help reinforce that Metropolis was film with an angry anti-Nazi message.
Perhaps the most impressive thing about Metropolis is the powerfully real way that Lang showed us his apocalyptic vision. The world is scary, because it’s realistic, and powerful, because it resembled an interpretation of the world the Nazi’s preached about creating. The evidence that the world resembled a Nazi vision are, again, in the religious parallels, this time with the story of Exodus. The film is clear that the world has three divisions, the hand (the egyptian slaves/the poor), the brain (the pharoah/Joh Frederson), and the heart (Freder/Moses), it is noteworthy that the story of Exodus is about Hebrew liberation.
The film was powerful, because of it’s message, but is also one of the most influential of the classical Science Fiction films, and still has a massive impact on films today. Visually the Metropolis was made to be a beautiful paradox that is magnificent, yet equally hellish, this look has been copied numerous times throughout the years. Examples of this are in Blade Runner, Dark City, Escape From New York, and the Matrix. The dark yet beautiful apocalyptic world would become a staple of futuristic Science Fiction films.
Another visual staple of Metropolis was the look of the citizens, specifically the poor, who are a bland, uniform set of people, beaten to submission. This has been used in films like THX 1138, and more recently films like Snowpiercer, and the Hunger Games. Another impactful aspect of the film is Rotwang’s metal hand, which has been copied famously in Dr. Strangelove, and Star Wars. There are many more things that Metropolis has inspired over the years, these are many more things that Metropolis has inspired over the years, these examples were just a few examples of the impact of Metropolis.
Regardless of one’s opinion toward the film itself, it seems self-evident that Metropolis remains one of film’s shining moments, as proof that art can reflect and even criticize culture. Metropolis also remains timeless, because it offers viewers the opportunity to enter the mindset of a skeptical German during the rise of Nazi power. Metropolis’ footprint still heavily affects films today, that, and considering the message’s enduring relevance, make Metropolis one of the most influential films of all time.
amheretojudgeDec 6, 2018

Metropolis Lang's time traveling to the dystopian future is the evergreen masterpiece that is still impenetrable,

Metropolis

Lang's time traveling to the dystopian future is the evergreen masterpiece that is still impenetrable, after a century later. Let's work our way up to the gist or the concept of the feature starting from the details. Such rich details is something that is only seen on rare gem-like Disney animation where an entire new imaginative world is created that is much more hip and happening than ours. And in here the concept being simply a head or tail case, the details are immensely impressive. Now to write these words is one thing and to implement it on set is another. But Lang's set pieces are equally large as its concept is.

And with huge crew, beautiful large set pieces and stunning production design, Lang gives you the time of your life. And with a head start like such from the concept, the expectations of the film increases to a whole new level, and with a layered narrative and a buoyant script, the characters keeps giving us back the reasons and material to not even spare a time to blink. Especially the second half of this symphony, that keeps you at the brisk of your emotions through exhilarating chase sequences, cut throat politics, morality conflicts, family drama and electrifying attraction towards each other. It surely is a cinema for life.

Abel as the puppeteer losing its control is a force to be reckoned with that is challenged by his son Frohlich itself. But the real game changer and heart of this cold mechanical world is Helm (she is splendid as both the evil twin and the heartwarming love interest) in command, from her looks to her body language, the entire feature is dependent on her vocab. Metropolis is an awe-inspiring civilised stable city that preaches its choirs, from the viewers to the makers itself.
BeatrixKiddoSep 22, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, it was superb!!!! A sci-fi movie of 1927.. Classic, all-time, full of messages, nice soundtrack, visually stunning for its era and great performances. What else? It was epic! Expand
FilipeNetoJan 23, 2020
One of the most visually appealing silent films I know.

One of the most visually appealing silent films I know.

This is probably one of the greatest silent films ever made and one of the great classics of cinema before the Second World War. It is amazing how, in a sense, it is still up to date and influencing more recent films ("Elysium" is the name that occurs to me more quickly now because I saw it recently, but there are more). Its futuristic look has influenced most of the sci-fi films, such as "Star Wars", "Star Trek", the animated series "Futurama" and even the cartoon "The Jetsons".

Made with great quality, it is a film whose elegant cinematography already reminds us of the look of the first spoken films, in the thirties. There is some academic debate about whether this film belongs to the expressionist movement or not. Personally, I think there are clear expressionist influences on the story told, where paranoia and mistrust towards authority are constant, but visually, they are no longer expressionist.

The story told is deeply dystopian and mixes futuristic elements with biblical allusions: Metropolis is a huge futuristic city run by one man: Johann Fredersen, who lives in the New Tower of Babel. However, it is supported by an immense number of workers who, in the depths, operate a series of machines for hours on end, in inhuman conditions. Freder, the son of Johann Fredersen, decides to try to put an end to this injustice.

In the film, in addition to the good performances of actors such as Gustav Fröhlich, Alfred Abel, Rudolf Klein-Rogge and Brigitte Helm, production values ​​stand out. The music is excellent and matches the film perfectly; the costumes are good and the sets, especially, are great. The special and visual effects are good and work very well. The scene of the creation of the Woman Machine is particularly stunning. Cinematography uses a lot of light and shadow and the film is very visually pleasing, one of the most pleasant in silent cinema, in my opinion.
kyle20ellisMar 26, 2022
What is to say about Metropolis that hasn't been said already? For me, probably very little. Metropolis is an awe-inspiring and influential masterpiece of the sci-fi genre, and one of the best movies I have seen in recent memory.

Metropolis

Metropolis perfectly demonstrates the artistic vision of director Fritz Lang. Lang was a fine and intelligent director, and Metropolis shows this loud and clear as Lang's direction is superb. The film is very rarely boring to me, both the pace and length were well-judged in my view, and while the message may seem muddled to some people for others including me perhaps it is relevant and even powerful.

The music is haunting, beautiful and evocative, the story really impresses with its originality and the acting is expressive, although silent the facial expressions and gestures speak volumes. The best part about Metropolis and what resonates with me are the visuals, the cinematography is fluid same with the lighting while the costumes and effects are wonderful, but the real revelations are the city landscapes and settings which are gorgeous.

All in all, a brilliant film and an influential film not only of the genre but of cinema itself. 10/10 Bethany Cox