Warner Bros. | Release Date: April 23, 2021
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 848 Ratings
Watch Now
RiseofPalpatineMay 7, 2021
This movie is just bad. Entertainingly bad, but still bad. If you want to watch a mindless popcorn flick, I suggest this movie. If you’re looking a for a movie with an interesting story and deep characters, this isn’t for you.
ELKforOneApr 29, 2021
Mortal Kombat seems to be a perfect movie for fans, as they would probably like this movie. If you don't know much about it then this probably isn't for you unless you like gory action. It's a good movie but not a good story as it moves veryMortal Kombat seems to be a perfect movie for fans, as they would probably like this movie. If you don't know much about it then this probably isn't for you unless you like gory action. It's a good movie but not a good story as it moves very quickly. But the action is great. Expand
tarzan_gkApr 24, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The acting is horrible, especially Lord Raiden. Main character is weak. I don't understand how can he beat Sub-Zero if he can't beat anyone in this movie. The only good from this movie is Sub-Zero. Expand
GabaguApr 23, 2021
It has some big pacing issues in the second act, it doesn't breathe properly, making things feel rushed and inorganic, especially with the soundtrack never retreating for a moment's rest even if it is for one simple dialogue scene, like theIt has some big pacing issues in the second act, it doesn't breathe properly, making things feel rushed and inorganic, especially with the soundtrack never retreating for a moment's rest even if it is for one simple dialogue scene, like the one in the dinner table. It's something that could be easily fixed by sending the movie back to the editing room. 5.0/10 Expand
SILE3NCEApr 23, 2021
I'm familiar with Mortal Kombat lore and it still managed to get me confused several times. I can't imagine how confused people who are unfamiliar with the lore might be. Many characters are poorly developed or introduced at all. I'm going toI'm familiar with Mortal Kombat lore and it still managed to get me confused several times. I can't imagine how confused people who are unfamiliar with the lore might be. Many characters are poorly developed or introduced at all. I'm going to keep it simple to avoid having to check the spoiler box, but instead of working with all the content they had, they took the easy path and created one more new MK Universe. I believe true fans won't take this as canon. Expand
bertobellamyApr 23, 2021
Yeah, there are some grizzly fatalities, but the story is beyond dumb. The main new character is just so bland; you don't care for him in any way. I liked the character design and some fights, but the film is weak overall. Shame on how WarnerYeah, there are some grizzly fatalities, but the story is beyond dumb. The main new character is just so bland; you don't care for him in any way. I liked the character design and some fights, but the film is weak overall. Shame on how Warner Bros. for setting up another movie with a 110-minute trailer. Expand
NeothanosApr 23, 2021
Just saw it. I would call it average. Too average. I'm going compare with the first campy one. >The Good : Gory finishers and fatalities , better Kano ( the best characterization a true ahole) better Sonya (easy feat), better productionJust saw it. I would call it average. Too average. I'm going compare with the first campy one. >The Good : Gory finishers and fatalities , better Kano ( the best characterization a true ahole) better Sonya (easy feat), better production values and special effects, Sub Zero is changed but makes a good villain and asian Raiden (Not great but Lambert was a jk), Scorpion looks very good.

> The Bad : Weak writing and directing which gave the movie poor pacing. Kung Lao deserved better ( as the sole guy who seemed to know what he was doing), Goro is again kinda of pathetic even with better CGI and Scorpion starts the movie but is under used overall >The Ugly : Bad fighting choreography, there were not a single intense fight, all feel either too slow or too rushed. The Cole Young insertion and family plot does not work and basically destroy the Sub Zero and Scorpion confrontation and make the end underwhelming. The movie is torn between being brutal and bloody and getting a teen rating, it shows.
PrrgangstaApr 23, 2021
I gotta say this movie feels half baked. The story is predictable, the characters are uninteresting, and Cole Young's character felt unnecessary.

I get the whole idea of needing a new character for a new audience but this is a series that has had an established audience for the passed 30 years almost. Anyone just now joining in is super late to the party.

I will say that I appreciate all the fatalities and references to the games but this just wasn't as good as the original movie imo
Mjenki12Apr 24, 2021
It was underwhelming and cast was entirely forgettable with pretty bad writing throughout.
therealityApr 23, 2021
It has acting, pacing, story, design, you name it issues. Half the movie felt like a low budget B flick.
kpaulApr 23, 2021
We came for a popcorn martial arts film but got a film that has trouble landing the martial arts.

The gems of action-acting being Hiroyuki Sanada(Scorpian), Lewis Tan, and Joe Taslm(Sub-Zero). The rest of our talent just didn't have the martial skills for the long-take fight scenes that Mortal Kombat tried to go for.

I love that they used a lot of no-name actors but either the actors weren't good and everything sounded cringy or the actor was amazing but the dialog was cringy. Either way, it was easy to disconnect from the movie.
ForzaE2Apr 24, 2021
It has some cool fight scenes but that's it. It's more like a fan page youtube video than a movie.
KazLApr 24, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My biggest issue was the incongruous tone. The opening and the rest of the movie felt entirely different from one another. The actors and their dialogue didn't match the mood - specifically the lighting and music, which weren't really doing them any favors. If the goal is to make a serious moment with a menacing monster, then stop lighting everything up like it's a scene from Mary Poppins. Make it dark... make the scene have some weight, give the character an edge of menace....just so many weird directorial choices that seemed to try and blend things together that it honestly came across as a mid-90s straight-to-tv teen movie.

The fatalities were fun and the fighting wasn't bad, but it definitely could have been filmed better - longer shots would have helped showcase the raw talent of the actors they chose. I've seen arguments that the script shouldn't have to be superb because it's a video game movie, and if people expected a good story then they're looking at the wrong film. I have a problem with that sentiment. Video game movies have been historically bad, but they don't have to be. Sure, the story is "two wizards gather their respective teams and face off for the fate of the world." ... but so is lord of the rings... and if the argument is that it's a fighting movie so there doesn't need to be a deep plot, then showcase the fighting; don't jump cut every 2 seconds. And realistically, for the fights to really shine, they needed far more character development. I know that's hard to do in a 2 hour movie, but that's why they don't need to try and rush through and cram as much as possible into the movie. They should take their time and tell a good, deliberate, focused story. If that means they can only get two or three characters in it, then fine. People will pay to see a good movie with a good story about those characters. Hell, people paid to see a movie where Tom hanks and a volleyball were the only real characters. You don't need to thrust in a dozen people and try to fit everything in at once. The worst part is, they obviously didn't even need to worry about everyone in this movie anyway, since we're not getting a tournament until next movie at the earliest. They could have REALLY spent time building a foundation so we cared, but opted for a shotgun approach.

As well, the "magic" they threw at us. I cant pinpoint why exactly, but wow did that rub me the wrong way. Magic-arm Jax was just such a big head shake from me I almost gave myself whiplash.

All of that notwithstanding, I will say that some of it was okay. I actually really liked Kanos character. I liked Not-Reptile more than I thought I would. I liked how Kung Lao was portrayed, although he went out because of dumb reasons (really, Liu threw a fireball at kano for talking.. can't muster up a little one to save your cousin?) And of course Scorpion and Sub Zero were really on point (the little bit that we saw them - another point of criticism). So yeah, I think the casting as a whole was honestly pretty decent, some things just felt off-putting. And the entire movie felt really rushed.

It was just a strange movie, overall. And not necessarily a pleasant one; it felt like something I'd watch on CW after The Flash or some other DC show. Really kinda disappointed.
whoami2uApr 24, 2021
bad story and it's painful for someone who even played mortal kombat is kinda strange
SirSwanApr 23, 2021
In short - It’s fun, but really dumb.

I can’t help but remember that awesome viral trailer a few years back that reimagined Mortal Kombat in a dark, grounded, realistic way. That would of been 100x better than this. It’s not terrible, it’s
In short - It’s fun, but really dumb.

It’s not terrible, it’s fun. But the editing and pacing is awful (like seemingly all tentpole WB movies), the story is really dumb, and the fight scenes are so heavily edited I can’t even tell what’s going on half the time. It just looks super fake, like all American fighting movies where the actors can’t actually fight. It is a shame, because some of the actors look like they could actually fight and some of the choreography and special effects are cool.

Overall, its was disappointing, but it’s worth the watch if you already have HBO max. Just don’t waste your money to see it in the theater.
Mr_LeggApr 24, 2021
I'd like to give a better review, I really do. But what a disappointment. Except for the Sub-Zero VS Scorption backstory and fight, the movie is straight up junk to me. Visual effects are great, fatalities are cool so I guess fans will beI'd like to give a better review, I really do. But what a disappointment. Except for the Sub-Zero VS Scorption backstory and fight, the movie is straight up junk to me. Visual effects are great, fatalities are cool so I guess fans will be served. Characters, dialogues and locations are the problem. Characters are empty shells with words coming out of their mouths. The script is made out of corny and cheesy stuff. Locations are so bad and so repetitive. It's unbelievable. If you like violence and entertainment related to MK, you're probably gonna like it somehow. If you like Good-Great movies, go watch it at your own risk. Expand
Nick3oApr 25, 2021
The long-awaited MK 2021, with a budget of $ 55 million, stages rather an apocalyptic scenario without essence, taste, people. The film essentially has a gear of actors taken as if directly from the benches of the acting school and thrownThe long-awaited MK 2021, with a budget of $ 55 million, stages rather an apocalyptic scenario without essence, taste, people. The film essentially has a gear of actors taken as if directly from the benches of the acting school and thrown into the arena of the MK circus, with the exception of Hiroyuki Sanada. This film gives you "fatality" due to the lack of crowds, and everything happens predictably at all times, between the same interlocutors, like a chess game with 2 characters (good and bad) and a few pawns, on the board. Visual effects, the only pluses, but too little for 2021. The 1995 film is Rolls Royce next to it. Expand
Zisis151Apr 23, 2021
They did a really good job at setting up a Universe for the franchise (if that was their intention). Most characters were on point, the plot was decent and the fights were awesome. The biggest problems were the pacing and that terribleThey did a really good job at setting up a Universe for the franchise (if that was their intention). Most characters were on point, the plot was decent and the fights were awesome. The biggest problems were the pacing and that terrible character called Cole. Not only the character is bland and boring, but the actor himself can't act... he just can't. The dialogues are also pretty cringe and looked like they were written by a 10 year old ("These guys have super human abilities" - "impossible!!!"... like, like.)

Don't go into this expecting some deep **** just close your ears and pretend you're watching an overly corny video game plot and you're gonna have a good time. Having said that, I do want a sequel. Movie has flaws, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
Aesthete18Apr 23, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A real shame as it comes across as a B-grade film. It hit all the right notes as a fan of the game, the casts looked the part, well, almost. Goro was done amazingly, it was cast well for the most part and the little Easter egg lines were a good touch.

That said, the acting, writing and pacing was just not very good, and it saddens me to say this because I've waited over 20 years for another real Mortal Kombat movie. Sub Zero and Scorpion set the bar but the rest never came close. The acting and fighting of Sub Zero and Scorpion was amazing and showed the true potential of the movie but the other character fights were just weak and filler. So many moments could have been better like when Cole was fighting Mileena and Sonya comes in for the finisher. That was an opportunity for a well coordinated combo move yet, it just looked half assed and a wasted chance. Her finisher looked good but it didn't have the proper set to properly highlight it. There's also tons of plot holes, like when Shang Tsung talks about going behind Raiden's back to kill the earth's champions, only to show up at his temple to let Raiden know his plans. All in all, it's worth checking out if you're a fan of the franchise but it pays tribute as a fan movie rather than a blockbuster to break the video game movie curse.
shohokuApr 23, 2021
It's fun to watch, but I would say the movie could get a better direction and casting. What probably appeals to MK fans, is the gore, finishing moves, and special effects, but that's a given, considering the advancement in the sfx. The storyIt's fun to watch, but I would say the movie could get a better direction and casting. What probably appeals to MK fans, is the gore, finishing moves, and special effects, but that's a given, considering the advancement in the sfx. The story itself is decent, logical enough for a videogame plot. With the exception of a few characters like Hanzo, Bi Han, Kano and Shang Tsung, acting is abysmal. The rests feel like a B movie actors, and the bad script surely doesn't help. Not sure why they picked Simon McQuoid to direct a fighting movie such as this, and it shows. The only good fighting sequence is shown at the first seven minutes (available in youtube). They underutilize of having Joe Taslim here, because we know what he's capable of, given the right fight choreography. Most of the other actors seems like they need to train another year to make the fight sequence believable. And for god sake, couldn't they use camera trick to make the movement seems faster like kungfu flick? They move hella slow for chosen warriors. All in all I so wish this would be a hit, commercially and critically. Now I'm not so sure. Expand
Bdaddy15Apr 24, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh boy... What a let down after the first 7 minutes.. instead of boring you with a long description here are quick hitters: Earth's greatest champion fighters suck at fighting, Joe Taslim is one of the greatest martial artists of our time and he was Nerfed, speaking of Nerfed Lui Kang, Kung Lao, Mileena, Reptile, Goro(???!) All were reduced to a minor version of themselves. Humor forced at times, but Kano was pretty darn hilarious.Tone is all over the place and the writing will need to get drastically better for this franchise to have a fighting chance! Expand
Uh_OhApr 23, 2021
I was pumped with the trailers and getting to the main event just underwhelming, between the acting and the way it was filmed just tuned out to it. Mk 95 has charm and great character’s, this does not. Video-games storyline is better.
egoBorderApr 23, 2021
I really wanted to like this a bit more. In the end it's kinda divisive because some parts were surprisingly great, while a bit more was pretty lame. It's a fan-pleaser more than even a crowd-pleaser. If you have even a passing interest inI really wanted to like this a bit more. In the end it's kinda divisive because some parts were surprisingly great, while a bit more was pretty lame. It's a fan-pleaser more than even a crowd-pleaser. If you have even a passing interest in Mortal Kombat you should either find one thing you like or many to love. Everyone else can probably skip this but might enjoy it well enough as it doesn't overstay it welcome by even a minute. Expand
Stream2BigScreeApr 23, 2021
GET OVER HERE! In the land of remakes, reboots and streaming services, Warner Bros couldn't have picked a better movie to update, Mortal Kombat. You all might remember the game from the 90's or even the live action thrillers from '95 and '97.GET OVER HERE! In the land of remakes, reboots and streaming services, Warner Bros couldn't have picked a better movie to update, Mortal Kombat. You all might remember the game from the 90's or even the live action thrillers from '95 and '97. Well here we go with an update for the CGI ages. Let's see how this movie turns out for HBO Max and the theater return scene.

For those of you who don't know this much loved series of games and movies, Warner Bros. Describes this movie as MMA fighter, Cole, who is unaware of his heritage-or why Outworld's Emperor Shang Tsung has sent his best warrior, Sub-Zero, to hunt him down. Fearing for his family's safety, Cole goes in search of some partners in crime who have been marked like him. Soon, he finds himself at the temple of Lord Raiden, an Elder God and the protector of Earthrealm, for sanctuary. Here, Cole meets some fighters that will help him to fight in a tournament of Earth's mightiest champions against things that are literally out of this world. But will Cole be able to make the most of himself instead of a punching bag? *eerie air passes by* I know you're just begging to watch it now.

Let's just say this. You know what you came to see and this is just a lovely, bloody and brutal mess. Just like the games, the brutality and fatality of this movie will probably never be matched. 2021 CGI and societal ethics have allowed this violent and entertaining action flick to exist. But let's say I'm not just focus on the blood and gore of it all, the fight sequences are just better than other movies. I can't say I know much about the technical part of martial arts, but the look and feel of the action is superb. In times where movies are just copying the John Wick model of fighting and guns, it's nice to have a movie that is more about the different martial arts and styles. Wish we had more like Ong-Bak but maybe we'll get back to that.

Now to my knowledge of the games, Cole is not a character and I guess that's cool for this movie to add in a different dimension. Lewis Tan does pretty good job in this flick but really the cast is too big for his britches. This movie is full of star power but it's full of some really nice character pieces. People like Kano, played by Josh Lawson, and Sonya Blade, played by Jessica McNamee, do a good job, but others are just plain corny or borderline stereotypical - I'm looking at you Kung Lao. Now, if I look at the characters and not the acting then we venture back in to the realm of worth watching again. On top of that, the writing of this movie is extra basic and boring, except for the quick hitting comedy pieces. What's interesting is the videogames do such a good job of storytelling, yet this movie lets that take a backseat in the basic garbage truck. So, yes, there's room for improvement in this movie but did we even come to see that? Noooooo, no we didn't! Another thing that is slightly annoying is the movie feels long and short at the same time. The ending feels rushed while also taking too long. It's the craziest contrast.

With all of that said, Mortal Kombat is a reboot for the ages. Just like the video games, the movie has come to the present. Mortal Kombat has it's good and bad just like most movies but if you came to see some disgustingly violent scenes then you've come to the right place. For those considering the theater, I recommend just watching on HBO Max. For those of you watching on HBO Max get your bowl of popcorn and FINISH IT!
IlovepizzaaApr 23, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The costumes were bad IMO we barely saw scorpion and barely use all his abilities sonia killing kano Expand
BmanhardinApr 23, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie did mortal kombat bad and wasn’t too enjoyable and the last 30 minutes were the climax and ends on a cliffhanger that will most likely never happen Expand
ItzSAALApr 24, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The fake blood, none stop digital effects drowning the fight scenes, corny story line, unnecessary vulgarity, Goro being out of contrast and bad acting just made the first installment a much better film. The characters signature moves didn't seem to captivate me enough and put me in that moment to reminisce the video game. Expand
mghanleyApr 24, 2021
Did you watch the Power Rangers reboot? Whatever your opinion of that movie was, it will probably be the same as this one. To me, the two movies are incredibly similar in tone and structure: ridiculous concepts that try to play it serious.Did you watch the Power Rangers reboot? Whatever your opinion of that movie was, it will probably be the same as this one. To me, the two movies are incredibly similar in tone and structure: ridiculous concepts that try to play it serious. The script is the biggest letdown here. Much like the power rangers movie, instead of just trying to tell a fun and engaging story, they decided to lay the foundation for a new franchise. And much like that movie, this translates to one long training montage littered will dull exposition to hastily build a universe. What's that rule about storytelling? Show don't tell? Just build a good story and let the universe emerge out of that. This movie is trying to be a "beginners guide" to mortal kombat when really it just needed a simple character story to get things moving. Think "Iron Man". We only got a teaser for the wider universe at the end, the rest of it was just about Tony Stark. So, while some visuals were impressive, ultimately this is just a really dull movie. I look forward to the next reboot. Expand
mrc_brnApr 26, 2021
I wish this movie hadn't been made. I wish I hadn't wasted my time watching it. I'm too old for this **** I should be too smart for it too - but apparently I'm not. Its a movie based on a video game I never really liked either, how good is itI wish this movie hadn't been made. I wish I hadn't wasted my time watching it. I'm too old for this **** I should be too smart for it too - but apparently I'm not. Its a movie based on a video game I never really liked either, how good is it going to be? Not very good is the answer. Can't fault the people who made it really, they're giving it a real try. But for the most part they're not great actors. The 'best' part is the first 7 minutes. Oh well, live and learn. Expand
Ryn_KenApr 23, 2021
In a lot of ways, it's what you should expect. The production values are just barely good enough; the acting quality is acceptable, the visuals are decent, the fights are okay. The story is alright, but as usual they made some changes thatIn a lot of ways, it's what you should expect. The production values are just barely good enough; the acting quality is acceptable, the visuals are decent, the fights are okay. The story is alright, but as usual they made some changes that can range from minor to making an MK fan question "Why?". The middle of the movie drags on a little bit, but nothing to bad. Honestly, I'm better off watching the video game story mode of MK9 or beyond instead of this. Expand
GunnerMcDaggetApr 25, 2021
Very slow start. Roughly 70% of the movie is the intro. It feels like a set up for future movies, or a pilot to a TV series, rather than a movie itself.

The CGI is hit and miss. The writing feels really lazy. The movie focuses on the conflict between Sub-Zero and Scorpion, but this still takes up less than 10 minutes of the movie.

Still worth a watch, just don't expect to be blown away. Kano carries the movie. Worth watching it for him alone. But don't expect much beyond that.
Reed618Apr 24, 2021
There are some pretty big chunks of the movie which aren't great. Some of the cast don't really fit the role that well. Raiden and Shang Tsung in particular didn't fit at all. Scorpion was great though, the actor playing him has a veryThere are some pretty big chunks of the movie which aren't great. Some of the cast don't really fit the role that well. Raiden and Shang Tsung in particular didn't fit at all. Scorpion was great though, the actor playing him has a very commanding presence which fit very well. There are some fun fight scenes, it's pretty faithful to the franchise and some fun gory scenes. It's disappointing and not nearly as memorable as the original mortal kombat film though. I hope if they make more they can do better. It's a great franchise and deserves better. Expand
FoxHound88Apr 23, 2021
No Mortal Kombat Tournament? No signature "MORTAL KOMBAT!" scream before a fight. No Mortal Kombat theme song until the ending credits? The writers must be morons to not have the basics of what makes Mortal Kombat so great. Big OOFFF TheNo Mortal Kombat Tournament? No signature "MORTAL KOMBAT!" scream before a fight. No Mortal Kombat theme song until the ending credits? The writers must be morons to not have the basics of what makes Mortal Kombat so great. Big OOFFF The acting was decent, and the special effects were great. The fighting was good. I did not hate the movie, but it really missed a GREAT opportunity to make something great for new and old fans. I would see the second movie if they actually had the Mortal Kombat tournament lol. Expand
tsylataCehTApr 23, 2021
Данный фильм представляет собой дешёвую порнопародию на одну из величайших видеоигр в истории человечества. Даже фильм 1995 года выглядит более серьёзнее, солиднее и качественне, чем это расхайпованное недоразумение.Данный фильм представляет собой дешёвую порнопародию на одну из величайших видеоигр в истории человечества. Даже фильм 1995 года выглядит более серьёзнее, солиднее и качественне, чем это расхайпованное недоразумение.
Tung1501Apr 23, 2021
I think my experience was pretty good
TVJerryApr 24, 2021
This is Hollywood’s second attempt to turn the popular video game into a movie (first was in 1995). The simple plot is that MMA fighter Cole Young (Lewis Tan) joins with others who have special abilities to take on the evil forces fromThis is Hollywood’s second attempt to turn the popular video game into a movie (first was in 1995). The simple plot is that MMA fighter Cole Young (Lewis Tan) joins with others who have special abilities to take on the evil forces from Outworld. Obviously, the plot serves as a background for the numerous violent encounters. As action goes, there are a few inventive treatments among the brutal bashings and bloody bang-ups. Nothing else matters. There have been better battles in other films, but fans of the game will likely find this one sufficiently action-filled and brutal. Expand
hcliffedApr 24, 2021
This movie is oddly memorable almost instantly, but it's so poorly acted and flawed, it became hard to watch from the start. The opening sequence was extremely boring, and if you don't know the stories told from the games, you will likely beThis movie is oddly memorable almost instantly, but it's so poorly acted and flawed, it became hard to watch from the start. The opening sequence was extremely boring, and if you don't know the stories told from the games, you will likely be COMPLETELY lost during this movie.

I would even go as far to suggest that MK2 from 1997 could be a better film, especially if edited or remastered for today's standards. As with most folks, Kano became the best part of the film! He was likeable, but I do get tired of the schtick from his character. I was always hoping he'd be a bit more serious, a better natural fighter, but I liked seeing his anger in the film. That's the Kano I grew up with.

Kung Lao was a throwaway character, Shang Tsung, who should have been one of the most memorable characters, was completely uninteresting, and possibly the worst part of the film!

I don't know. This movie wasn't as hard for me to get through as those four ridiculously overrated Avengers films (where all people did was shoot colors from their eyes and hands), but it was almost below mediocre, at best.

I hope the second one has more heart, more of what made the 1995 original SO good.
Vitalii88Apr 25, 2021
Director's work is wors. Fights scence can be a better. Black Mileena like a joke. And Jax. More wors actor i never saw.
dogboyApr 27, 2021
The animated movie on Netflix is way better than this. Saying that, it was ok.
fifty2ndassassiApr 25, 2021
I'll keep this short movie was not that great and had so much potential. The opening and 1st 20 min or so of the movie is great then it falls off a cliff hard. Music sucks, Cole is not a good character and the fight scenes at the end are cutI'll keep this short movie was not that great and had so much potential. The opening and 1st 20 min or so of the movie is great then it falls off a cliff hard. Music sucks, Cole is not a good character and the fight scenes at the end are cut way too short and the final fight scene would of been better if Cole was not there. I'm being extremely generous giving it a 6 it's got pretty bad writing in my opinion. And Cole is completely irrelevant. Expand
SnodogApr 29, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mortal Kombat 2021 is hard to say its bad. It’s not good, but it’s not Mortal Kombat Annihilation bad. The film focus’s around Cole, a new character added for the film to take place around. Cole is an average guy with a wife and young teenaged daughter. He’s a past his prime MMA fighter who takes last minute calls for a couple hundred bucks. He, of course, loses his first couple of fights because, lets face it, he needs an arc. When it comes to faithfulness to the games, again, its mixed. The characters were fairly faithful and the tournament aspect. The problem comes when they discarded the tournament for some back alley fights because the bad guys want to kill everyone before they get to the tournament. There really isn’t a lot to say about the movie. You have a dragon tattoo? You have to unlock magical powers and fight. Yes, instead of great skill and fighting technique, its about magical powers. Kano has an eye laser that somehow shorts out when Sonya throws a bottle of stuff at it. How a magical, completely biological eye laser shorts out? Beats me. Jax gets magical metal arms that are pretty bare bones (excuse the pun) at first, but when he unlocks his magic super power, they grow into crazy cybernetic punching machines that give him super strength. While most of the others had to go through beatings and harsh training for theirs, Sonya unlocks hers as soon as she gets her tattoo. The only GOOD thing in this movie is Kano. The actor portrayed him well, if not a little less brutal than what he normally is. He seems to be a jokester punching bag for the first half, then a backstabbing incompetent in the second. He was funny as hell to watch though so I got some entertainment out of it. Expand
JRiceMay 5, 2021
Ich habe nach den Trailern viel Hoffnung in den Film gesetzt, wurde jedoch mit einer weiteren, sehr amerikanischen Superhelden-Adaption enttäuscht.
Das bedeutet, nach einem sehr vielversprechenden Beginn: Viel Action und Sprücheklopfen, sehr wenig Substanz und ein lächerliches Ende...
marcmyworksApr 26, 2021
As someone who grew up loving the original Mortal Kombat film, I went into this with excitement and scepticism. The new character of Cole was an interesting concept, but he seems more like a modern and original way of portraying Liu Kang (whoAs someone who grew up loving the original Mortal Kombat film, I went into this with excitement and scepticism. The new character of Cole was an interesting concept, but he seems more like a modern and original way of portraying Liu Kang (who I feel is under-used in this film). Overall good stunts and effect, but bad story and overall lacklustre results. Expand
umaumaiApr 27, 2021
I was entertained, but barely. I wasn’t expecting much and that’s what you get. Not much in character development, story, plot or acting. I spent most of my time watching this trying to fill in the gaps from what I know of MK as the writersI was entertained, but barely. I wasn’t expecting much and that’s what you get. Not much in character development, story, plot or acting. I spent most of my time watching this trying to fill in the gaps from what I know of MK as the writers put in several twists on the existing lore. While it had it’s moments, they were mostly surface level and didn’t go deeper then the shocks that the gore delivered. The acting isn’t “bad,” but it’s very flat. This becomes more noticeable with one character who stood out as someone who was very dynamic when on screen stealing the show in a way that negatively effected the story line. (You end up rooting for them at times and that’s definitely not what the writers wanted.) The movie did look beautiful and was very well filmed, but it had such a narrow scope for something that was supposed to be about a grand tournament to decide the fate of our world. If you have it available to watch as part of a streaming service at no extra cost and you like the 90’s movie I’d give it a watch. Just be warned that this movie is not of kids. Expand
MovieGuy811Apr 27, 2021
This movie was disappointing, but it wasn't completely terrible like many other people are claiming it is. The visuals are pretty good for the most part; the acting is passable with a few exceptions (Josh Lawson is **** amazing) and it isThis movie was disappointing, but it wasn't completely terrible like many other people are claiming it is. The visuals are pretty good for the most part; the acting is passable with a few exceptions (Josh Lawson is **** amazing) and it is overall kind of entertaining. The fight scenes are really lackluster though, which was honestly the aspect of the movie I had the highest expectations for. There are only three decent action sequences in the entire film, which is really embarrassing for a movie based on a fighting video game. The script is terrible, the plotline is terrible, the dialogue is cringeworthy at best except for Kano's lines. Tadanobu Asano was easily the worst actor in the film, and I don't know if it's his fault or the Director's fault, I couldn't understand what the **** he was saying. So yeah, this movie is a solid 5/10, not completely terrible, but definitely not good. Expand
raccoondaddyApr 25, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its okay...really.

The opening was phenominal and made me choke a little...serious...no really!!
It set the bar too high actually, as the movie focuses on Cole (a new character that somehow connected to Scorpion. Honestly, the high points of the remainder of the movies was Kano's acting, Kabal, Sonia and the short Sun-Zero/Scorpion fight. The Shaolin Monks were cool and could've used more team action from them. I liked how they threw in VERY subtle MK jokes and the Fatalities were cool.
BUT no Cage and Raiden never fights despite Outworld clearly breaking every rule of Mortal Kombat that was explained.

The original MK1 had better actors, settings, story and setting. Had there been a deeper focus on some backstory on other characters and the narrative focus on slighty higher pace than the opening, then yeah it would've been cooler.

Also, I hate to say this but Raiden was poorly casted.
This is an English-speaking movie and his accent was just so thick, I mean Shang Tsung's actor was crystal and well spoken. I know that sounds wrong or maybe in comparison to how clear Christopher Lambert spoke, I can be better understood.
FlazzardApr 25, 2021
Movie is ok at best. Acting was weak at times, mainly when Cole's family gets on screen. Some characters were done dirty, like Reiko, Goro, and Nitara, and some staple characters were missing, like Kitana. It felt incomplete, but had someMovie is ok at best. Acting was weak at times, mainly when Cole's family gets on screen. Some characters were done dirty, like Reiko, Goro, and Nitara, and some staple characters were missing, like Kitana. It felt incomplete, but had some good moments. Overall a 4/10 Expand
JLuis_001Apr 24, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you wonder if there's something crucially innovative or more striking in this film, in relation to the video game and the previous films, well there isn't. At least not in general terms.

Of course it is more ambitious, and of course it has a lot more budget, but Mortal Kombat makes childish mistakes trying to be more than it really is.
And that has a lot to do with the script, because the script is a tremendous mess for wanting to take itself too seriously. I wasn't expecting it to be a bit goofy or something like that, but when you have such one-dimensional and stiff performances, then the dialogues, motives, and confrontations that have nothing to do with punching, they feel and sound ridiculous.
The Arcana? What the hell was that? Yes it's true that this Mortal Kombat offers a lot of fan service.
The fights are not bad at all, and the gore is present. It does not increase anything, but it adds a visual punch, and this more than anything else is just another element to satisfy fans and people who enjoy watching action mixed with such violence.
Nothing wrong with it, but you have to accept that after a while it becomes too repetitive and empty.

And of course we must mention the fundamental issue of this film, and by which many will feel not only disappointed, but cheated.
There's no tournament. Just random fights where the main villain and the big good guy are recruiting their fighters.

If this was done with the intention of a sequel it's understood, more than anything by the business angle, but as a narrative decision? It was a huge mistake.
Mortal Kombat is precisely about that, and this movie takes it away from you.

Now that, if your thing is to have a fun time without demanding more, as you could've done with the previous films, which is completely fair, then surely you will find more attractive things in this daring, but ultimately failed reboot.
skeletoroneApr 30, 2021
Mortal Kombat starts out strong by actually introducing the audience to the feud between SubZero and Scorpion. The introductions of the other characters are also well done but the writers decided to go with an original character named ColeMortal Kombat starts out strong by actually introducing the audience to the feud between SubZero and Scorpion. The introductions of the other characters are also well done but the writers decided to go with an original character named Cole that wasn't seen before in any MK game. That fell flat. The character of Cole is rather bland, especially considering the fact that he is the descendant of such an iconic character as Scorpion. The fight scenes are a mixed bag. While they went all out on the gore, which is good and simply fits the franchise, the fighting feels too much like something we would see in a Marvel super hero movie. While some direct references to the games work rather well, others went way overboard. It gets just a bit too goofy when the fighters take the role of the MK game announcer and say "Fatalaty!" or "Flawless Victory!" multiple times during the movie. Overall, I would rate the movie as okay. It's watchable, it's entertaining, but it's nothing special. Expand
MarvelJoeMay 1, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are 2 types of Mortal Kombat fans: the fans of the lore and the fans of the gore. I like both. Making this a rated R film is the best thing ever happen in this movie. This is what Mortal Kombat should be. The action was solid but bloody, best thing in this movie. Some characters in this film are either likable to watch or very dry to listen to. Characters like Jax, Sub-Zero, Kabel, and Scorpion, are entertaining to watch. The one that carry this movie was Kano, acting how his character is portrayed in the video games. Sub-Zero was really threating in this film and Scorpion was good, although I wish he had more screen time and make it seem like his revenge matters.

Now, to the bad parts of this movie. The writing was pretty trash except the opening seen of Hanzo(Scorpion) vs. Bi-Han(Sub-Zero), making it seem like the only accurate story in this movie. This movie is a prequel for the actually Mortal Kombat tournament and I'm already not liking the idea of it. The main character, Cole, who is the new character to the Mortal Kombat universe is easily the most uninteresting generic character of this film. Every time I see him on screen, I just want to look away. Lui Kang, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Raiden, and other characters were dry to me. I didn't like the acting and I find each character not having potential of be recognized to me. Sonya Blade was a decent character, that's it.

Overall, is a bad movie but still entertaining to watch.
SoulWarfareApr 24, 2021
Firstly, I love the casting choice. Joe Taslim as Sub Zero and Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion is phenomenal casting as both embody their characters. John Lawson steals every scene he is in as Kano. He is hilarious and genuinely some of the bestFirstly, I love the casting choice. Joe Taslim as Sub Zero and Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion is phenomenal casting as both embody their characters. John Lawson steals every scene he is in as Kano. He is hilarious and genuinely some of the best parts of Mortal Kombat (2021). Ludi Lin as Liu Kang, Max Huang as Kung Lao, Mehcad Brooks as Jax, Jessica McNamee as Sonya is all also great casting as they resemble the characters from the game perfectly. Tadanobu Asano is very majestic as Lord Raiden and Chin Han is very sinister as Shang Tsung. I also really appreciate having an Asian be the main character with Lewis Tan as Cole Young. It's great that the director, Simon McQuoid, is giving Asians more representation in mainstream media and I can appreciate that.

A lot of video game movies don't work because it is clear the director and writers are not fans of the respective game. However, this is not the case here and this clearly shows within the movie. They have authentic casting so characters that were Asian in the game are played by Asians in the movie, characters act and resemble their game counterparts, gruesome fatalities and a lot of game references. Additionally, the first 10 minutes is amazing and is such a great start to the movie. The last 15 minutes of the movie is also really good which is down to the fact that any scene with Sub-Zero and Scorpion is great. The score by Benjamin Wallfisch is also quite good at times when orchestral instruments are used. However, sometimes the score can be quite odd such as when electronic sounds are used in the 17th-century scene which doesn't sound right. Furthermore, the editing of certain scenes is quite bad. Despite casting an actual martial artist who can fight, the director still uses a lot of quick cuts in fight scenes that just ruin it. It even happens during sparring fights which just makes it very disorienting. The most jarring editing comes around the middle where multiple fights are occurring with different characters and the scene just keeps constantly swapping between all of them. Instead of just focusing on one fight at a time which would result in a more pleasant experience. On that note, the action scenes not concerning Sub Zero or Scorpion lack a lot of brutality, grit and damage. You don't feel like the characters are getting hurt enough as during fights it feels like they are just slapping each other about. Where are the broken bones, bruises or physical impact in these fights?

Another major flaw is the main lead Cole Young as he is very bland and uninteresting. The only thing about his character is he a chosen one and he has a family that he cares about. It's boring. The supporting characters are not that great either since there are way too many characters and not enough time exploring them. Liu Kang and Kung Lao appear but are pretty much just the strong yet generic Asian guys. Jax and Sonya are just initially there to get the plot moving and then fight some people which is all there is to them. Mileena, Goro and Kabal are in the movie but are just there to be fodder for the heroes. We get absolutely no information about them, not even an explanation on why Kabal has super speed. Raiden is a good powerful guy and Shang Tsung is a bad powerful guy. Both barely appear and when they do it is when the plot needs teleporting stuff.

MINOR SPOILERS HERE
Following that, the story is a mess. It starts in the 17th century with Scorpion and Sub Zero. Scorpion's family gets murdered and he dies as well but goes to hell. However, his thirst for vengeance for his family being murdered by Sub Zero will bring him out of hell and that alone is an interesting story. Such a shame we ignore that and just focus on boring Cole Young. The marketing plays up Scorpion's role but he is only at the beginning and the end. He also just randomly appears at the end with little to no explanation. It's very baffling even to me, a Mortal Kombat fan. Throughout Mortal Kombat (2021) there is a lot of build-up for this tournament. It feels like the movie will conclude with the tournament but it does not which is kind of annoying. They spend two-thirds of the movie leading to it but then decide in the 3rd act just to forget about it.

Overall, Mortal Kombat (2021) does a lot of right in satisfying fans but doesn't do enough to bring new people in. It feels like they were just ticking boxes instead of making a cohesive and good movie in general. Mortal Kombat has great characters which are why the movie should've just focused on one of them instead of just bringing in as many characters as they could. The movie has a fair amount of things better than the 1995 version but a fair amount that isn't as well. The only conclusion that I got out of it was that at least it was way better than Mortal Kombat Annihilation and honestly that is a huge win in my book.
KunrayApr 24, 2021
And again, there are no "in between" option about recommnedation. Will come back. 4/10
BulgarianCriticApr 30, 2021
This movie was pretty decent actually. There were some really cool fighting scenes and some really **** ones, the acting was fine for the most part and sometimes the jokes fell flat but overall it was a decent time. Kano made the entire movieThis movie was pretty decent actually. There were some really cool fighting scenes and some really **** ones, the acting was fine for the most part and sometimes the jokes fell flat but overall it was a decent time. Kano made the entire movie for me he had the best punch lines and was a punching bag. Expand
Cska_aelApr 28, 2021
I think this movie was meant to set up the story for next one more then anything...I hope ,had some cool special effects but other then this it's really nothing special.
Chempion1Apr 25, 2021
Не знаю как кому, а мне фильм не особо понравился. Смотрю, вроде всё на месте, а чего то не хватает и я понял чего. Фильму размаха не хватает. Фильм явно снят очень бюджетно, я даже думаю, что львиная доля этого бюджета ушла на начальнуюНе знаю как кому, а мне фильм не особо понравился. Смотрю, вроде всё на месте, а чего то не хватает и я понял чего. Фильму размаха не хватает. Фильм явно снят очень бюджетно, я даже думаю, что львиная доля этого бюджета ушла на начальную сцену сражения Скорпиона и Саб Зиро, она же рекламная сцена, она же и самый эффектный бой за иг... простите фильм.
Бои в фильме вообще страдают от какой то корявости. Такое ощущение, что снимали с одного дубля. Сильный смех вызвало появление Скорпиона в средневековых самурайских доспехах в конце фильма. Ну и сражался он соответственно.
Теперь о актёрах. Естественно они все практически никому не известные нонеймы. Бюджет. Но как же плохо они играют!!!
Этот дрищ Лю Канг, я так и не понял он своим фаерболом хоть в кого то попал? Абсолютно бестолковый персонаж. Так же взять этого идиота Кано, ну реально идиот. А ведь он называет себя главой организации «Чёрный Дракон». Теперь Рейден. Ну почему решили, что Рейден это спившийся китаец? При том хамло? Ну про Шанг Сунга говорить это зря время тратить. "Твоя душа мояяяя", "Твоя душа мояяяя".... Всегда думал, что колдун души забирает после победы в бою, а этот взял пробегающего мимо Кунг Лао высосал за здорова живешь....дааа.
Кстати Кунг Лао показался мне наиболее адекватным героем в этом сборище идиотов.
Ну бюджетность во всём и естественно в костюмах. Резиновые маски, резиновые доспехи, резиновое оружие это же бросается в глаза. Особенно порадовала фича с так называемой "арканой", это такая супер способность героя. Когда наш нонейм-протагонист обретает свою аркану-броню она красиво обтекает его торс и становится единым целым с ним. Но когда он обнимает свою семью в следующем кадре эта "супер броня" расходится и топорщится у него на спине как резиновая жилетка, ну неужели нельзя было как то это доработать, ах да бюджет маловат.
Нет красивые сцены в фильме есть и не мало, но они нивелируются корявостью и не проработанностью обычных, "не компьютерных", так сказать, эпизодов.
Ну и теперь по поводу сюжета, он отстой полный! Ни один персонаж нормально не прописан. Вот он есть, и всё! Делай с ним чего хочешь. Кто он, откуда, почему воюет, почему попал на эту сторону, а не на ту, зачем вообще Саб Зиро вырезал весь клан Ширай Рю, если это месть, то за что? В фильме этого ничего нет от слова совсем.
Сравнивать с фильмом 1995 года нельзя ни при каком обстоятельстве. Это фильмы разного уровня. А вот с фильмом 1997 года сравнить можно, фильмы очень похожи.
На большом экране фильм смотрится очень бюджетно, но вот если это кино выпустить в виде какого нибудь 8 серийного приключения на Netflix или скажем Disney+, раскрыть истории персонажей, вот тогда он может и выстрелить! И превратится в такой "Мандалорец с Саб Зиро", а?
MarllonfigApr 30, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Um filme de mortal Kombat sem o torneio. Sem falar do novo personagem nada a ver com a série. Expand
AsclepiusApr 27, 2021
Standards lowered for the genre, I went in hoping for some solid fun. I didn’t find much.
AzametzinMay 4, 2021
This was...surprisingly decent and a big step up from the bad originals to a mediocre film. I didn't regret watching it and had fun doing so.
tellmikeyyApr 26, 2021
It wasn't what I was expecting, but the gore, fight scenes, dialogue and visual effects made it a decent MK movie. Kano's lines were gold. Questionable deaths but still enjoyable.
KLachance4May 2, 2021
This movie has the gore you wanted just not the characters/ storyline you wanted. I wanted this movie to be great and usually when we see a series of movies the first is always the best which makes me wonder if they even make a second. TheyThis movie has the gore you wanted just not the characters/ storyline you wanted. I wanted this movie to be great and usually when we see a series of movies the first is always the best which makes me wonder if they even make a second. They did a lot of characters disservice and if your a fan of the storyline for the games this will upset you. The main character is very boring and is a new character to Mortal Kombat and anew character is fine but this was not a good well written character. If they make a second movie they just need to kill the character off unfortunately. Expand
mrmkiApr 24, 2021
The worst character in the movie is Raiden. He behaves like a 20-year-old man, but should he really be like that?
Benyamin_asrApr 25, 2021
For those who do not know the main story, it is a good film, but for those who know the story of Mortal Kombat characters, it is awful because he was not faithful to the main story. I think Mortal Kombat 1995 was better than this version. AtFor those who do not know the main story, it is a good film, but for those who know the story of Mortal Kombat characters, it is awful because he was not faithful to the main story. I think Mortal Kombat 1995 was better than this version. At least that version of Harrow's character story had not changed. Expand
sami_2667Apr 24, 2021
Mortal Kombat is a cheesy, gory and overall worthwhile experience for fans of the series. However, the general viewer may not understand certain themes or references that occur in the film. The one thing that the film delivers on for allMortal Kombat is a cheesy, gory and overall worthwhile experience for fans of the series. However, the general viewer may not understand certain themes or references that occur in the film. The one thing that the film delivers on for all audiences are the spectacular and gory fatalities. The fighting throughout the movie is relatively tame and similar to a regular Marvel Movie in terms of how violent it is (apart from the opening scene), it's only when a fatality happens that the film uses its rating to its full potential. Some fans may find this disappointing but the fatalities should definitely make up for this.

Overall, Mortal Kombat is especially great for fans and its also enjoyable for general audiences even if some stuff may be hard to understand as well as the occasional corny dialogue.
iCampoRamilMay 2, 2021
Esta película depende mucho de lo que vayas buscando.
Si vas buscando una buena película, no es tu película.
Esta película depende mucho de lo que vayas buscando.
Si vas buscando una buena película, no es tu película.
Pero si vas buscando nada más que buenas coreografías de combate, sangre y vísceras, además de referencias a los videojuegos... Es lo que vas a encontrar.
Odio con toda mi alma al personaje protagonista, cero carisma, normal que no aparezca en los videojuegos, a los cuales, disclaimer: no he jugado.
Por mi que hubiera sido hora y media de pelea entre Sub-Zero y Scorpion, los dos mejores personajes, sobre todo el primero, y los que mejores combates nos traen, porque recordemos, no todos los combates son buenos, sí la mayoría, pero no todos.
Justifican muchas cosas por la cara, el argumento es bastaaante malo, y el hilo argumental, el humor está mal mal medido, y la primera mitad, se hace bastante pesada.
Por lo visto es buena adaptación, y eso, en resumen: buenas coreografías de combate, sin duda lo mejor, y sobre todo las muertes y todo eso, una película pasable, depende de lo que busques.
NoBullReviewApr 27, 2021
This is a movie that starts out fantastic. The first 20 mins makes this look like its going to be a great ride. It is not that movie. The rest of the film looks like it is shot by another director

The Good Kano ia a good comic relief and

The Good
Kano ia a good comic relief and really carrys most of the movie
Subzero is a good character and has some great scenes
Scorpion is also another interesting character and has great fighting scenes
There is a few good gory scenes

The bad
The cgi is horrible, its really bad at times
The other characters are dull and dont really have much character, and the main character Cole is flat as a character.
A lot of bad choreographed fights and choppy editing. Also fights become very rushed.

Most people will not like this movie. Besides a few fans of MK.

It is a pass unfortunatly.
MaxiboiiApr 24, 2021
The goods were pretty good but the bads were just terrible a couple examples being the way that they got their powers continuity issues a lot more than I expected but I guess the studio trying to do their own thing which didn't make any senseThe goods were pretty good but the bads were just terrible a couple examples being the way that they got their powers continuity issues a lot more than I expected but I guess the studio trying to do their own thing which didn't make any sense you can really just feel the studio interference a kind of Let Me Down but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was the character is acting the original cast we're pretty spot-on but could have used better writing examples being Liu Kang Kung Lao is pretty good Jax was decent he could have done more The Shining Star this film definitely has to be Kano Kano by far was the best character it made it it somewhat more enjoyable but instead of Cole being there it probably should have been either Johnny cage or Liu Kang or they should have written Cole better should have kept his police background unless this is a totally original character it would have been way more interesting than what we got cold was just a side character given too much screen time in my opinion every other character was more enjoyable Expand
zaym77Apr 25, 2021
You think this is bad,you should see first two classic movies.Protagonist is not solid,acting is good but introducing new character is not really good.

Pro:Good CGI for 50 million$,Kano,first 7min Con:Raiden suck,Story writing PS:WB,Just

Pro:Good CGI for 50 million$,Kano,first 7min
Con:Raiden suck,Story writing

PS:WB,Just make Really cool Scorpion Movie.
MooovieCowApr 24, 2021
I'll be honest- this should be lower than a 6, but they had some decent fights and I grew up with the characters. The opening 8 minutes were actually pretty awesome. It tanked pretty hard after that. Sonya and Cole seemed like they wereI'll be honest- this should be lower than a 6, but they had some decent fights and I grew up with the characters. The opening 8 minutes were actually pretty awesome. It tanked pretty hard after that. Sonya and Cole seemed like they were Lifetime movie actors. Script was pretty bad. Effects were decent. There were some high points, but overall, a 99 cent movie that will be in the bin at WalMart. Expand
Western87Apr 24, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie has a good story line but every scenes comes too quickly without proper introductions and suspenses.. the fighting technics are way below expectations... characters are portrait in a poor manners and also do not fit in like the best for their roles( like character Liu kang is way too small and play a weak role as in the original mortal Kombat back in 1996.. fighting too weak and not a good fit. ). Custom is quick good but fighting technics are weak.. only character Sub Zero plays a good fighting technics..i really think there should be something more better than this. Please fix this because it seems like a mess and nothing seems right to me after i watched it. it's far below my expectations. Fix in good and smart characters... Let there be good fighting vibes like putting more energy to fights makes it real.. extend each scene with a good conversations and create in more suspense...... I believe this movie could be much more better when it's is on tv series....i will advice you look at the TV series called 'Warrior' take more fighting vibes from it and make the fighting more better and full of energy Expand
MMWanykApr 24, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mortal Kombat without Mortal Kombat. What?
Seriously? The special effect was amazing. But the history? What history? HAHAHHAA.
JobiwooApr 24, 2021
My brother and I have been fans of Mortal Kombat since the beginning and loved the movie. My mother sat in and even though she wasn’t familiar with the franchise she was also very entertained and afterwards she immediately asked to see allMy brother and I have been fans of Mortal Kombat since the beginning and loved the movie. My mother sat in and even though she wasn’t familiar with the franchise she was also very entertained and afterwards she immediately asked to see all the extras. Expand
thepixelphoenixApr 25, 2021
A good videogame adaptation and a bad movie. As a result, mediocre release.
Roger2919Apr 25, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s fun seeing some iconic moves from the games, but things just go down hill from there. Character design is amazing with certain characters while being completely lackluster with others, I’m looking at you young.... while I know a mortal kombat movie won’t have a solid story considering the games are the same, it still seems like the story was purposely made incoherent and to make as little sense as possible. Talks about the final tournament however everybody just has personal spars to the death instead of actually go to mortal kombat the tournament. Movie had potential but was flopped with every aspect. Expand
CamiellejApr 25, 2021
4.5/10
Cgi and murder was cool. However did NOT make any sense and did NOT follow MK Lore. Which is strange as ..it was...marketed...towards...MK......FANS....hmm...
(Bold move Cotton..) But thats just the BEGINNING of my problems with the
4.5/10
(Bold move Cotton..) But thats just the BEGINNING of my problems with the plot of this movie as it pertains to Mortal Kombat Lore and judging the plot as a standalone narrative.

You want plot? MK Lore...true FAN service..?Stick to 95' You want cool CGI murder and some fights (although not many) sure..check it out i guess. MK Lore Fans need NOT apply. Casuals welcomed. (Which is a shame because it was supposedly marketed to us.)
OfficialAztecApr 25, 2021
Story line was good and they did a great job explaining how everything works. Fighting scenes wore amazing and fluent. As for the cgi I don't understand why people complain about it did the forget about the last airbender?
FranchobembiApr 25, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a big fan of the game, of its elaborate (and somewhat cheesy) lore and its interesting characters. This movie does a disservice to all. There is some good fighting to watch here, but it’s mostly on the second half tucked away after some pretty tedious introductory act / rocky training montage

I don’t understand the need for this new character Cole. He is supposed to be an audience stand-in, which would be fine and dandy if MK didn’t already have a perfect one since day 1. The name’s Johnny Cage... A chosen one who has no idea what the hell is going on! A character slot is wasted in this Cole guy who brings nothing to the table except for a generic family and personal life we have to pretend to care about. Cole is representative of the problems with this movie: when it sticks to MK lore (like the feud between the Shirai Ryu and the Lin Kuei), it’s great. When it tries to get all Hollywood-y, it completely loses its charm. Unfortunately it spends more time trying to repackage Mortal Kombat for the masses rather than building upon it. The titular tournament isn’t even here! Villains as iconic as Kabal and Mileena are reduced to punching bags with no attempt to build on their own canon (and since when is Kano’s laser a weird spiritual power? He’s half cyborg! For god’s sake). Some recognizable fatalities are there but more often than not deaths feel anti-climactic and cheap. MK is pretty much a franchise served on a platter. By rehashing the first game, presenting the tournament and a few key characters, they could’ve had a simple, satisfying story that focused on the action and still have a ton of cast and plot left for sequels. Instead, they tried this weird prequel experiment to please both fans of the game and the general public and which guarantees no one will leave completely satisfied.
KirkFegelyApr 25, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. just want to start off by stating the things I did love about the movie which are, somewhat introducing the rivalry of Sub-Zero and Scorpion though not in detail and having empty dialogue “for the Lin-kuei” or whatever. The fights scenes were great, I loved the fatalities and brutalities that were shown.

BUT THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS TERRIBLE, they should not have made a new Character! If anyone knows who Takeda is from Mortal Kombat, I believe making him a character and taking that route with him would’ve been amazing, and his powers would’ve been amazing, his battle with Gorro which was WAY TOO FAST AND CORNY like that matchup deserved so much better. If they took they Takeda route it would’ve fulfilled it better especially since Takeda trained under Scorpion, so he has resemblance in his moves while also having a few mixed martial arts in the mix to make it his own which would’ve fit this Cole character way better. Cole was basically a mute through the movie and was just someone nobody enjoyed at all which was disappointing because his actor is amazing in other films. Partial additional problems with the film was having a first time writer, should not have risked it with this movie, a movie that could’ve been a 10 out of 10 Legendary Classic if they made better decisions. I don’t like how quick Kung Lao died I feel Kung Lao should’ve fought Gorro if anything, could’ve brought his hat tricks into the mix to use against his arms, etc. the greatest characters were sidelined, didn’t see much of Scorpion. Fight scenes were too short, the ending fight scene was great and then ruined by Cole getting involved. I feel like if you grabbed a fan to write the movie it would’ve been better hell, I could’ve told them to make Cole Takeda and it would’ve made more sense, it’s just so disappointing. I was really excited for this movie and was let down, I’m giving it a 4 because only thing great about this movie was the fight scenes and they were cut short. Characters were flat except Kano, Scorpion, Sub-zero. Casting was great though, iffy about Liu Kang and Shang Tsung
tgLauraApr 26, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As an old school MK fan, I really want to like this movie. The trailers were impressive and it was hard to believe that it was a low-budget movie. The effects are nice, Reptile's model looks nice too. Goro a bit ackward, expected it to be the same model as in MKX, but this one is a bit leaner/thinner.
The low-budget is seen in the seamless integration of these effects and models into the rest of the world as with any low-budget movie. And it's here where it is a hit or miss. Some parts are done very well, but a lot of stuff is obvious what's real and what's handled with blue/green screen.

With so much promotion on the Sub-Zero and Scorpion story, the movie focusses hardly on them. It seems just to be the sandwhich to hold the meat, where the sandwich is tastier than the meat.
With the abomination that is MK Annihilation and peaking new interest with the 'realistic take' of MK with the concept of MK Legacy (although I didn't like every episode of that one, sometimes it went too realistic), I had my hopes up with this movie. Only to be disappointed. It doesn't even feel like 'a fight for the faith of the world', but just some backyard choreographed fighting. This movie is full of neat references and even the use of exact moves of the game. But it all falls flat in every way possible. The story doesn't make sense nor how some obtain their 'invitation' to fight in MK. I also felt this movie fell into the 'subliminal 2020 politics' trap.

Having Kano bantering a bit wasn't necessarily bad, but seemed to be used too much as a slapstick character to be ridiculed. Which only made it aware Cage was missing. And is trademark eye just appears out of thin air. And what was up with Jax's chicken arms?! It didn't make sense to give him these kind of arms and then have them suddenly transform into bulkier ones, because he found his 'inner-strength'.
This happens with most of the characters. It doesn't happen naturally either, it really is forced and you know exactly when it's going to happen, before it happens. This movie is so predictable!
Kabal is one of my favorite characters (in the game), but why did they have to make him sound like an 1950s Brooklyn gangster?! Cole was an unnecessary character. Shang Tsung isn't even waiting to cheat until he has lost, he just starts cheating immediatly! In the original movie he atleast waited to cheat 'till he noticed he was losing the tournament (although he planned it just in case). And the creepiness Shang Tsung had in the original movie came from the fact that he was actually a likeable and charming guy. There was so much more going on in the original movie then what you thought at first glance, what this new version is lacking.

If you've seen the trailer, seen the Hanzo intro and the Scorpion/Sub-Zero fight, you pretty much saw the best the movie has to offer. They are better off scrapping what they have planned for a next movie, just go back to the drawing board and take a good hard look at what made the original 1995 movie still loved today and what made the concept of MK Legacy peak interest again.

This movie just picked some 'random characters' to do some choreographed fighting, walking from one scene to the next. Punches didn't have that oooomph that the 1995 MK movie did have. It's funny how the 1995 movie, although playing only on an Island (Shang Tsungs Island), made you feel like they were really fighting for the faith of the world, yet this movie with its grand landscape has made it feel tiny.
And I can make a whole list of comparisons from this movie to the original 1995 one. This movie might have great visuals, although understandibly not that seamingless, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original one. The original one really understood what Mortal Kombat was about. It knew when to be serious, it knew when it was allowed to be cheesy and it knew where it needed to be 'for the fans'.
It's funny how when the original movie first came out, I didn't like it so much because it wasn't exactly like the game. Like the same actors, same environments, ... . But then I realised it didn't have to and loved it ever since. Great cast, great soundtrack, great fighting you really felt punches of, ... .

At this point, I just hope they remaster the original movie like they did with the original Star Wars-trilogy. Update the CGI (especially Reptile, that hasn't aged well), maybe use CGI for Goro and if possible, add some discarded footage.

It's a shame these days you have reviews that either give 0's or 10's, so you are actually still left in the dark.
Although I'm an MK fan, I'll probably get downvotes for this and claims that if I didn't like this movie, I'm not an MK fan. But I have been with MK from the beginning and loved that MK has been picking itself up again this last decade, so it's actually quite 'painful' for me that this movie didn't hold my interest, except for a few references.

Cheers
PiperdotApr 26, 2021
First of all, this movie is fans orientated and to people who never played the game plot is making no sense. And attempt to fix this with MMA fighter Cole Young is looking just pathetic. His character is totally empty and all this stuff withFirst of all, this movie is fans orientated and to people who never played the game plot is making no sense. And attempt to fix this with MMA fighter Cole Young is looking just pathetic. His character is totally empty and all this stuff with "You a chosen one" is litteraly a plot armor. Movie itself is really short and hasty. Most of the fight scenes are really good, fatalities are brutal. Hope for the better in the sequel. Expand
GurpsGApr 29, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie left me with very mixed emotions. As a MK fan, it was exciting to see it return to the big screen. However, as a movie lover and scriptwriting enthusiast, there are so many points which left me feeling indifferent. Below are some points on some factors I thought about when watching the movie, followed by what I would have done differently:
- The first seven minutes was released on social media, probably to encourage buys on streaming services. The first seven minutes is arguably the best of the movie.
- The absolute shambles of character building is a sin. - The character of Cole is fine. Not good, not bad. Just fine. It's as if he's there to join all the MK characters up... a new character with stakes. It's as if the script begun with a list of characters to drop throughout the movie, and found having a central character would help stick it all together.
- This brings me to my next point - fan service. This is a great fan service movie - it's very fun and has the violence and gore that MK fans want to see. However, this is at the expense of world building.
- Speaking of world building; Goro and Kano has been killed off in movie 1. I'm sure they don't return from the netherrealm in the games.. so...
- And as for Kano - hands down, the best character and portrayal in the movie. If this was a Kano movie, it would be an 8/10. Funny, a back-story, and Unfortunately, he dies, and part of my interest died with him.
- The dialogue at times is attrocious. The way both Bi-Han and Hanzo appear on screen after the prelude and proclaim "Call me (insert character name)". As if Hanzo went to hell, and thought 'I fancy calling myself Scorpion when I come back'. - I don't think anyone can explain why you need to hit subzero with a gardening tool before Scorpion can teleport from the netherrealm. Or how the timeline of scorpion/sub-zero fits with the other characters. Or why the Lin Kuei have beef with the Shirai Ryu (no mention of Takeda). The movie suggests Bi-Han kills Hanzo and his family because he carried the mark to represent Earthrealm - why not flesh this out? (Plus, the actual story is a long rivalry between clans; there is so much more to this).
- The story discusses the chosen fighters having an 'ikana' (not sure if that is spelt right) - I liked this take only because it helped the movie flow. Although, I'm sure there was a better way to portray why fighters have an unlockable special move(!).

What I would have done:
- Don't start writing a script with a list of characters! Start with a strong story.
- The best story in the movie was Hanzo vs Bi-Han. This should have been the movie. This would have included other characters relevant to the story (Grandmaster, Kuai Liang, Sektor, Cyrax, Smoke, Frost) and Takeda (the founder of the Shirai Ryu who was a Lin Kuei deserter) with other Shirai Ryu.
- This would have also given the opportunity to have non-MK characters be subject to fatalities without killing off important characters so early in the franchise!!
- The opening scene of the film could be fleshed out and made as a final sequence, resulting in a second movie.
- The movie could be set in 1890s Japan following the first Sino-Japanese war (and hence explain the beef between a chinese and japanese clan). This would also be a rough setting for a seventh MK tournament, which would play in nicely towards a modern day 10th MK tournament for the second movie.
- Quan Chi being name dropped as hiring the Lin Kuei during the movie... token post-credits scene with Hanzo meeting Quan Chi in the netherrealm.

All in all, 4/10. Fan-tastic (meaning totally fan service, but without Kano or fatalities, meh).
Dee-Jay_DeliApr 29, 2021
This is fine! That is all! It's not high art, it doesn't tell a great story, it doesn't have great characters and even the fights are just good. But it delivers exactly what you sign up for. It moves at a fast pace, gives us plenty of fightsThis is fine! That is all! It's not high art, it doesn't tell a great story, it doesn't have great characters and even the fights are just good. But it delivers exactly what you sign up for. It moves at a fast pace, gives us plenty of fights and voilence and doesn't overstay its welcome. And sometimes that just fine. Expand
maliqueMay 1, 2021
I don't know what to say about this movie its not great but not bad It has great choreographed scenes that all I can really say about this movie the cgi is noticeable at some points but they didn't do bad on goro, but the plot is not great ifI don't know what to say about this movie its not great but not bad It has great choreographed scenes that all I can really say about this movie the cgi is noticeable at some points but they didn't do bad on goro, but the plot is not great if it were to come on I would watch it though 4/10. Expand
CinefilosdoinfeMay 4, 2021
Consegue ser pior do que o antigo, lamentável esperava muito desse filme,uma pena
HamidaalMay 5, 2021
Well, I personally expected a more complete and effective storyline. I think it could be much better than this. Many characters could be brought into the story line. The struggles & fights were poorly directed. Even they did not do very wellWell, I personally expected a more complete and effective storyline. I think it could be much better than this. Many characters could be brought into the story line. The struggles & fights were poorly directed. Even they did not do very well in choosing the characters and the makeup of the characters. Come on man! you have completely disrupted my mindset about Mortal Kombat. The storyline was really really weak. Expand