Altitude Film Entertainment | Release Date: November 3, 2017
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 31 Ratings
Watch Now
3ebfan511Jul 14, 2018
Unique film that shows a serial killer as a person, and not a "bad guy" that just terrorizes people like in most films. As a kid Dahmer was seen as at times funny, possibly even slightly popular, while also troubled, odd, a loner, and aUnique film that shows a serial killer as a person, and not a "bad guy" that just terrorizes people like in most films. As a kid Dahmer was seen as at times funny, possibly even slightly popular, while also troubled, odd, a loner, and a bunch of other things. I found it really interesting, and well done, although it is slow paced at least early on so..watch it late at night. Very mesmerizing for a late-night watch, and a unique take on a serial killer that actually made me feel kindof sorry for the guy. Unique take on the genre, and a well done film. Expand
GinaKNov 20, 2017
Want to see a real horror movie? Then see “My Friend Dahmer” and watch a serial killer of the worst kind in the making. It’s not really Dahmer’s fault – his mother is madly manic (a superb performance by Anne Heche) and his father is unableWant to see a real horror movie? Then see “My Friend Dahmer” and watch a serial killer of the worst kind in the making. It’s not really Dahmer’s fault – his mother is madly manic (a superb performance by Anne Heche) and his father is unable to cope. His “friends” at school treat him like a freak and urge him to act like a “spaz,” which they find hysterically funny, of course. No one notices that Dahmer has serious problems and is slowly going out of control. This is a sad and scary film, and I hope the film as a whole, its director, Anne Heche, and its star (Ross Lynch) receive recognition from “independent spirit” awards if not from the establishment. Expand
JLuis_001Feb 8, 2018
When I see a movie that deals with this kind of stories, most of the time I wonder how necessary it is to tell the beginnings of a true serial killer, regardless of whether his life was tragic, the result does not change his nature at all,When I see a movie that deals with this kind of stories, most of the time I wonder how necessary it is to tell the beginnings of a true serial killer, regardless of whether his life was tragic, the result does not change his nature at all, after all the crimes have already been committed and although sometimes it can be fascinating because of the darkness in which these people lived, sometimes it's not completely functional.

My Friend Dahmer balances between the quality of an interesting portrait about a serial killer and at the same time falls into several of the clichés already seen in this kind of stories, after all we are seeing the calm before the madness and the glimpses of its subject's damaged psyche is just that, glimpses to make clear that what this person was doing to dead animals later he would be doing it with human beings.

My Friend Dahmer is the adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name, created by John Backderf, who based it on his own experiences with Dahmer when they studied together in high school and that's the whole focus of the film, it's the dramatization of the personal life that killer had before exploding.

The film is certainly humanizing and it also hints that Dahmer could have followed a different life from having been able to express his genuine sexual feelings or sexual orientation I'm not sure of how to say it, but this is where the film stagnates because obviously Dahmer is a real murderer, but speaking in film terms, it seems that we are watching another Norman Bates, a man who ended up trapped and everything else repels him and although the line that follows the film never fades, it doesn't achieve a true crucial or definitive moment to cross the threshold of the basics.

It's worth it because the subject is interesting and the film has good quality. It's not memorable and there are better films on the same subject but the film is far from a waste of time, so I can recommend it.
OwenMansellMay 25, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story presents Jeff Dahmer as a shy quiet high school student, his hobbies seem a little odd but as the film progresses these hobbies become almost sinister with him nearly killing a dog from his interests in seeing what their insides looked like. If this film wasn't based off a true story the ending would have been a massive twist and shock. Expand
40mangunshotMar 13, 2020
One of the best biographical films I've ever seen. An amazing, deep look into the childhood of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. Great performance by Ross Lynch.