Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 10, 2000
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 97 Ratings
Watch Now
DLWilsonNov 8, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm writing because I absolutely loved this movie and cannot for the life of me understand why the user scores, at least, are not much higher. It has a fine cast, excellent production values, mostly credible science, an intriguing and suspenseful plot mixed with action that is not for its own sake, a theme of survival and accomplishment in a bleak universe that is very serious, and some credible romance at the end. Just wonderful. This is a classic, right up there with "The Fifth Element", watchable again and again over the years. I confess that there is a major credibility glitch at an important turn in the plot -- with a lot of equipment already on the ground, nobody saw to it that there was an oxygen detector to report that they weren't all going to die after all. They could have injected a word or two saying that their oxygen detectors were fried in the solar flare that caused their premature escape launch to the planet. But I don't care. I supplied that piece of information myself. As for the critics, always remember what a bunch of snobs they are, save for a few with eclectic tastes, notably here the great Roger Ebert (long may he liv). Anytime I see a great disparity between the user scores and the critics', I know that either Metacritic isn't counting the latter fairly (which often happens) or the users have seen the worth of a movie the critics were blind to. We should be grateful that a movie like this was made. I sure am. Expand
HumanMarsNetFeb 28, 2016
Most movie critics are hard against Red Planet because of its standard characters and modest dialogues, giving it as low as 3 or 4 points from 10. From my point of view Red Planet is definitely not as bad as that. I would give it (only) 2Most movie critics are hard against Red Planet because of its standard characters and modest dialogues, giving it as low as 3 or 4 points from 10. From my point of view Red Planet is definitely not as bad as that. I would give it (only) 2 points bellow max 10 and its drawbacks are two:

- there are quite a few unrealistic moments in the movie (breathable atmosphere made by bugs impossibly fast; lifting off from Mars in an old, unpressurized sample return vehicle and others);

- some things the movie left unexplained (for example - how the habitat got destroyed?).

Despite those minuses, Red Planet has got the best visuals of Mars for over a decade when modern Martian movies came out (totally crappy, but visually enjoyable "The Last Days on Mars" and of course gorgeous "The Martian").
MichMartMar 3, 2014
Red Planet has interesting characters and a pretty good story about trust, love and the future of mankind. I don't know what the critics are talking about.
PatrickbAug 2, 2008
Best Mars movie there is. Some unrealistic science facts.. yeah.. but also some part of it IS realistic and fun to watch, I especially like the ship design how they actually make an artificial intelligence and make it work with G-forces, oh well.
0 of 0 users found this helpful