Netflix | Release Date: November 21, 2018
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 565 Ratings
Watch Now
writergal9825Dec 28, 2018
Baffled by the positive reviews. This was one of the MOST BORING films I've ever seen! The main character shows almost no emotion throughout the movie. In one scene where she is rejected you think she'll FINALLY show some emotion but theBaffled by the positive reviews. This was one of the MOST BORING films I've ever seen! The main character shows almost no emotion throughout the movie. In one scene where she is rejected you think she'll FINALLY show some emotion but the camera does not show her reaction! Unbelievably tedious and boring and I kept wanting the movie to end, as I'll never get back the time I wasted watching it. Expand
pomattovichNov 21, 2018
The best film I've seen this year, last year, probably the year before that, and probably next year too. The kind of masterpiece most auteur filmmakers have seemingly forgot how to make these days. Incredibly powerful and dramatic. NostalgicThe best film I've seen this year, last year, probably the year before that, and probably next year too. The kind of masterpiece most auteur filmmakers have seemingly forgot how to make these days. Incredibly powerful and dramatic. Nostalgic without being overly sentimental. Just as stunning on a technical level as Gravity was, without being nearly as showy. Simply flawless. Expand
AvidDivaNov 21, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am shocked at the reviews of this thing called Roma. First off, I have no idea what ROMA actually is. Is ROMA a person? A place? A terrible film? All of the above? This moving photograph will mean nothing to anyone other than a critic looking for a high brow concept with a low brow delivery. All I came away from the screening of this thing was #MaidsLivesMatter and... so what. The flimsy story is constructed around beautiful images, that more rightful belong in a photo album and not on a movie screen. I was appalled at the lack of reality in the substance of the characters. Also, I do not believe that the ending is in any way plausible. The character who was the weakest suddenly becomes superhuman and stronger than a riptide. I call bollocks. Any one who isn't trying to blow something up someones somewhere, will not like this movie, and that is most everyone. Expand
LynJan 27, 2019
Everyone has mad respect for Alfonso Cuaron, for good reason ... and I think that's part of the critics' love for this film. It is his very personal, touching memoir of his own childhood, filled with evocative details and oh-so-arty in blackEveryone has mad respect for Alfonso Cuaron, for good reason ... and I think that's part of the critics' love for this film. It is his very personal, touching memoir of his own childhood, filled with evocative details and oh-so-arty in black and white. I enjoyed the slice-of-life aspect of it, but was distracted by the fact that the lead actress can't act. At all. It's a completely wooden performance, and it really stretches credulity that she was nominated for an Oscar! Expand
JLuis_001Dec 26, 2018
The technical and visual aspects are just impeccable. Nothing bad to say about that at all.
But and the story...?
But and the story...?

Any mexican people could tell me that this was the story of any Mexican soup opera and I would believe it with absolute certainty and that's devastatingly alarming coming from Alfonso Cuarón.

I'm not really disappointed because my expectations about this film were not into that side, but to call this film a masterpiece, is simply a scandal.
mshawlyFeb 7, 2019
Despite the good directing and the good acting (not amazing !) The movie is very poor when it came to the plot, there was almost no story ! the Film just show the Normal life of any above midlevel Family and their daily routine life, wakingDespite the good directing and the good acting (not amazing !) The movie is very poor when it came to the plot, there was almost no story ! the Film just show the Normal life of any above midlevel Family and their daily routine life, waking up kids for School, absent Father and little Brothers fight ! I can’t believe that such a Movie can be nominated to any kind of Trophies. Expand
DarrylTanJan 6, 2019
Roma is quite underwhelming. Its not for everyone, those in the comments below who raves about this movie probably saw something in it that i couldn't see. If we are going sentimental, there are better movies out there that portrays thatRoma is quite underwhelming. Its not for everyone, those in the comments below who raves about this movie probably saw something in it that i couldn't see. If we are going sentimental, there are better movies out there that portrays that emotion. This one doesn't seem to give it enough... impact. It could be the black and white scheme it went for, it could be something else. Just my opinion. Im don't watch many of these types of films, but some that i do watch has etched an impression on me. This doesn't seem to have. Good cinematography but bland protagonist and a story ive definitely seen or heard before a hundred times. Expand
czesiarudaJan 4, 2019
Bored AF. Boring,boring,boring and boring. There's raelly NOTHING going on. Only one scene in this movie is worth watching. ONE!And it's 135 minutes long!
NavyBeanJan 1, 2019
I guess it depends why you go to the movies. I like movies that have a story. Apparently critics and the self-important art-house crowd only care how a film is shot. I even read one review that called it a "masterpiece" but also said it hadI guess it depends why you go to the movies. I like movies that have a story. Apparently critics and the self-important art-house crowd only care how a film is shot. I even read one review that called it a "masterpiece" but also said it had "not much of a story." Another, which was one of the lower rated, said something to the effect of "no one would care about this as much if it was done by another director." I shrugged my shoulders after the credits came on and will likely never independently think of this film again. Expand
Jkc3Jan 3, 2019
I'm Mexican I know all the movie talks about and all the places, and as much as I tried to like the movie it just doesn't. One thing good about this movie tho; the photography, really beautiful shot.
Now.... The actual history behind the
Now.... The actual history behind the movie is predictable, boring and poorly written. I never got to connect with any character, thanks to a very lack of emotions from them they are just cast into a one dimensional role, and they never get out of it. If he tried to portrait the maid as they are in Mexico (I mean very submissive and so desperate that they accept any circumstances) then all the other characters should have a large array of emotions so there's contrast. But there's just no contrast they're all superficial stereotype persons.
A lot of scenes could have also been removed and we could have ended up with a much shorter and less tedious movie instead we have a very long, predictable with a lot of useless scenes movie, might it repeat again there are some beautiful shots tho. I hope it doesn't get the Oscar because there are just so many better narrated and well shot movies out there.
I will end my review doing this comparison;
Roma is like a picture of some delicious food that you see it and it looks just so good, but then cut the picture and realize it was nothing but emptiness and regret to ever tried
SergioMaJan 9, 2019
Another Black and white? Can someone explain reasons? Some scenes are just there just to prove the director is an intellectual! However the birth scenes was a success, in contrast to the rest that feels excessively orchestrated!
BHBarryDec 18, 2018
“Roma” is a film written and directed by Alfonso Cuaron and is his attempt to pay homage and acknowledge his childhood in the Roma section of Mexico City as well as the housekeepers that cared for him and his siblings. Filmed in black and“Roma” is a film written and directed by Alfonso Cuaron and is his attempt to pay homage and acknowledge his childhood in the Roma section of Mexico City as well as the housekeepers that cared for him and his siblings. Filmed in black and white this film has become the choice of so many critics and award entities so I find myself again at odds with the so called pros for this film, as good as it is, is not great, nor in my opinion is it worthy of the accolades being heaped upon it. This is the story of a family, a marriage and those who kept house for them…..and that is where it all really begins and ends.
So, like a fly on a wall, we watch the residents and servants interact in a really not too exciting series of mundane events as they go about their assigned chores and fulfill their designated roles. I give the film a 6 rating as I continue to wonder what the excitement regarding it is all about..Perhaps the highest award should go to the distributor’s PR firm for being able to generate such unwarranted hype and activity..
WillCraigDec 23, 2018
My wife and I see a lot of movies every year -- over 100. Usually the critics are helpful in finding the good ones. They blew it on this one. Collectively! Some good photography, but usually not interesting material. No characterMy wife and I see a lot of movies every year -- over 100. Usually the critics are helpful in finding the good ones. They blew it on this one. Collectively! Some good photography, but usually not interesting material. No character insights. A waste of time. Expand
ZumbacinoApr 5, 2019
Alfonso Cuarón created a cinema masterpiece with Roma. Beautifully directed, excellent performances and cinematography. Cuarón balances nostalgia and sentiment just right without things getting overbearing but still gripping you. It’s aAlfonso Cuarón created a cinema masterpiece with Roma. Beautifully directed, excellent performances and cinematography. Cuarón balances nostalgia and sentiment just right without things getting overbearing but still gripping you. It’s a shame not more movies like this reach cinemas. In a world saturated by superhero movies and kid stuff one can only reminisce the good old times when cinema was truly in the hands of daring filmmakers with a vision. What does it say of our current movie going culture that everything is, so dumbed down? Expand
donkzJan 17, 2019
Using tabus to overwhelm human emotions into getting you a critical acclaim is a cheap way of making movies. I hate everything about movies like this. It's a masterpiece from the point of cinematography , but the story and its elements areUsing tabus to overwhelm human emotions into getting you a critical acclaim is a cheap way of making movies. I hate everything about movies like this. It's a masterpiece from the point of cinematography , but the story and its elements are straight up disgusting and unacceptable because all they meant to do to stir up the very core of your soul with sadness and empathy. Some might get off on this. I personally think movies like these should not exist, or only exist for those who seek them. Solid 0 in my book Expand
imthenoobDec 19, 2018
Roma deals with a lot of filler, Such as characters doing these repetitive mundane tasks, and a painfully unoriginal plot that strikes almost every cliche possible: A young woman who recently broke up with her lover, An older woman dealingRoma deals with a lot of filler, Such as characters doing these repetitive mundane tasks, and a painfully unoriginal plot that strikes almost every cliche possible: A young woman who recently broke up with her lover, An older woman dealing with marriage issues and then the children dealing with their parents having problems. And all of this just so happens to take place in the same household. It's something I've seen hundreds of times before and it makes for a rather uninteresting watch, which is made even worse by all the nonsense filler. Roma is a typical Oscar-bait film, Plain and simple. Expand
ZlatanJan 20, 2019
Artsy movie that gets critics all fired up. In reality roma is a hollow and booring movie.
MetaflixDec 27, 2018
There are a few undeniable things about 'Roma.' It's amongst the most gorgeously shot black and white films on record, which is all the more impressive considering Alfonso Cuarón serves as the film's writer, director, AND cinematographer.There are a few undeniable things about 'Roma.' It's amongst the most gorgeously shot black and white films on record, which is all the more impressive considering Alfonso Cuarón serves as the film's writer, director, AND cinematographer. There's also no distinguishing between fiction and reality. In particular, the actors in the movie make this slice-of-life film feel like it's a biography. And finally, if 'Roma' indeed goes on to win the Oscar for Best Picture--right now it's certainly a contender--it'll eventually be saddled with the reputation of being undeserving of the honor, much like 'Crash' or 'Shakespeare In Love.'

The bottom line is that no matter how vividly shot a picture may be (*cough cough* Terrence Malick), without an engaging plot, everything else is just cinematic masturbation. Lastly, a point of privilege: one reviewer fawned over Alfonso Cuarón's camerawork, setting expectations rather high. However, while a number of sequences are indeed wonderfully shot, basic left-to-right or right-to-left pans aren't exactly innovative. For comparison, watch 'Shoplifters' while paying special attention to camera placement and movement. It's nothing short of extraordinary and likely the best camera work of any film this year.
banda89Jan 9, 2019
Una película que dividió opiniones en todos lados. Algunos la consideran una obra de arte, otros la clasifican como un intento de ser una película intelectual, cuando indudablemente no lo es.
Yo soy del tipo de personas que gusta de ir al
Yo soy del tipo de personas que gusta de ir al cine y ver una historia en la pantalla. Como se desenvuelve y como llega a un clímax y a una conclusión.
No soy para nada un experto en cine, ni mucho menos. Ni tampoco soy amante de Derbez u Omar Chaparro, como muchos de los simpatizantes de Cuarón gustan etiquetar a los que no piensan igual que ellos.
Hablando objetivamente, la película tiene una fotografía increíble, como todas las películas de Cuarón (obviamente este es su fuerte, no la trama. Como ejemplo, tenemos Gravity).
Yalitza como Cleo hizo un buen trabajo considerando que no es una actriz.
Pero de ahí en mas creo que intenta demasiado ser una película "inteligente" de "arte" con su filtro en blanco y negro que no agrega nada. En fin. Cuarón una ves mas demuestra que su fuerte solamente es en lo visual, en lo que a historia respecta es aburrida y nada especial. No por nada la mejor película de Cuarón es Harry Potter 3, porque tuvo un gran material para trabajar.
riordanpettDec 14, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing short of groundbreaking! Quality cinema. And no wonder it’s taken every award for Best Cinematography - so many beautiful shots, from the smashed mug on the floor to waves on the beach, to Cleo literally brushing up dog ****
Great acting, a good pacing, that can sometimes feel like a slow-burn but it all just comes together!

Now, my removal of 3 points may bare unpopular opinion, but I honestly felt like not a lot happened. It was a great film, with a pensive portrayal of the life of a beloved maid in 70s Mexico. Definitely one of the best films I’ve seen in ages, but I couldn’t tell what the climax was - the baby arriving or the kids drowning. While not every film needs a “climax” to sum up a great story, I just felt this was a slightly less enjoyable watch than A Star Is Born or even The Favorite. Roma is a film with a meticulously curated series of shots that cleverly cover a thin story. A film which the critics love but the audience may struggle to enjoy. I enjoyed it... It can take every Best Cinematography award, it’s unmatched this year, but Best Picture? Not too sure.
OlivierPielDec 15, 2018
Critics fall over themselves for another slick foamy soapy film from Cuaron, with very simple cinematographic tricks. It is obviously copying Zerkalo (The Mirror) by Tarkovsky but with far less ingenuity, creativity and poetry. WhereasCritics fall over themselves for another slick foamy soapy film from Cuaron, with very simple cinematographic tricks. It is obviously copying Zerkalo (The Mirror) by Tarkovsky but with far less ingenuity, creativity and poetry. Whereas Tarkovsky makes his life and his memories interesting by cleverly destroying time and space, blurring the lines between reality and dream, and making us think, think, think about our own memories, Cuaron serves a linear, egotistical, boring diaporama of his own life that didn't touch me at all. All this of course with a heavy dose of sentimentality and "humanism" that can't go wrong with middle-class critics.
But what about the cinematography?
The initial slow constant circular movement of the camera is obviously designed to clash with the perpetual zig-zagging of the little bee worker, create this extra tension and the rest is just like that. The scene of the fire is completely in line with his work in "children of men" with camera shifting from different points of foci in the same frame. All this is probably well crafted, and different from Hollywood, but doesn't inspire any beauty or even elicit any form of intellectual reflection.
It's better than Gravity, but that doesn't say much!
Brent_MarchantDec 7, 2018
OK, I'll say it -- when it comes to this film, the emperor is indeed naked. I'll admit that the film's stunning black-and-white cinematography is exquisite and that the scenes introducing the picture's final act are emotionally mesmerizingOK, I'll say it -- when it comes to this film, the emperor is indeed naked. I'll admit that the film's stunning black-and-white cinematography is exquisite and that the scenes introducing the picture's final act are emotionally mesmerizing (or maybe it's just that I was glad that something interesting was finally happening on the screen). Unfortunately, those are about the only redeeming qualities this release has to offer. The rest is a big, bloated, underdeveloped bore that tries the patience of even the most tolerant cinephile. It's obvious this was a heartfelt project for director Alfonso Cuaron, and his personal passion is written all over it. But, given that he's dealing with uninteresting characters in largely unexplained circumstances in a time frame for which little to no context or back story is provided, he's not giving the audience much to work with other than a glib implication that essentially says "This is authentic -- just trust me on this." Also, the picture's anemic attempts at incorporating philosophical and metaphysical themes show the filmmaker's got some brushing up to do in terms of effectively conveying his meaning in a comprehensible way. If you're willing to risk the time watching this, be sure to pack a pillow and a lunch. Expand
foxgroveDec 14, 2018
This Critics darling will find its nemesis with the general public. I mean, really , what is their to love. It's long, slow and largely uneventful. The baby scene and the swimming scene, which come towards the end of the film is as good asThis Critics darling will find its nemesis with the general public. I mean, really , what is their to love. It's long, slow and largely uneventful. The baby scene and the swimming scene, which come towards the end of the film is as good as the drama gets. The most over rated film of this year which underlines how pretentious a lot of film critics are. Come back Bohemian Rhapsody their was nothing to forgive! Expand
mikebakuninDec 23, 2018
Every now and then a movie comes along that reviewers who want to appear sophisticated and "in the know" feel compelled to heap all kinds of praise upon. This is one of those movies. Boring, slow, tedious, and lame don't begin to describe it.Every now and then a movie comes along that reviewers who want to appear sophisticated and "in the know" feel compelled to heap all kinds of praise upon. This is one of those movies. Boring, slow, tedious, and lame don't begin to describe it. Hate is a strong word, but it is the only appropriate one to describe my feeling towards this waste of film. I honestly don't see how any real human being could like or enjoy this movie, and I suspect that very few actually did, despite their phony reviews. Expand
everettDec 16, 2018
I'm amazed that few, if any, critics have been talking about the great divide in this beautiful, poignant film: The disparity between men and women. It is a tribute to women - Cleo, the protagonist, but also all who prominently appear: TheI'm amazed that few, if any, critics have been talking about the great divide in this beautiful, poignant film: The disparity between men and women. It is a tribute to women - Cleo, the protagonist, but also all who prominently appear: The other housekeeper, Adela, as well as the two patrician women in the household (though they are flawed, they are kind and loving overall), right down to the female obstetrician. On the other hand, we have the men who abandon them and their families; the shooters; the posers like Fermin who show off to a point that becomes downright ridiculous (you will remember that scene); the ones in military bands who march through the streets for no apparent reason at all ... and who of course are flying the planes that intersect the sky throughout. In the big martial arts demonstration in the field, who among them is able to execute the pose demonstrated by the teacher? The martial arts students are all falling over, while (did I see this wrong? The movie begs repeat viewings) isn't it Cleo, among the women on the sidelines watching all this, who pulls it off? Is there one likable male character here at all?

The ultimate message I got was that it is women who know how to love, while men are absorbed in themselves, to the point of disruption, and the most profound effect of this disparity is on the children. Women save and nurture while men work against them. The betrayed and abandoned wife says bluntly that women are always alone. Here, they are in one sense - that men disrespect them and/or fail to even stick around; but the women actually aren't alone. It's love that binds them to each other, and to the children who could not thrive without them. What an homage to the women who made Cuaron such a sensitive director, and an exception to his gender (as he sees it) in doing so.
ProteusJan 5, 2019
Character. Writing. Photography. Acting. These things make critics swoon. I prefer entertainment, excitement, originality, imagination, intensity, emotion, drama and comedy. Roma has none of those things.

If you are quite young, or naive, or

If you are quite young, or naive, or a film critic who goes gaga on the story of a normal sensitive young women you may like this film. If you want entertainment go elsewhere. Boring movie.
ThatFilmGuy20Jan 7, 2019
Cuaron's Roma is undoubtedly one of the best realistic films throughout history, I say this because you'll find yourself lost in Roma, so immersed with how things are happening in a tedious way, much like life itself, that aspect of realismCuaron's Roma is undoubtedly one of the best realistic films throughout history, I say this because you'll find yourself lost in Roma, so immersed with how things are happening in a tedious way, much like life itself, that aspect of realism is fully captured by Cuaron as he presents us with an insight so vivid and so clear and raw you could swear that you're watching a real-life events happening in front of you, it gives you the chance to observe and asses and more importantly feel and relate to strong emotions from pain to love and in a manner that is very genuine, in all honesty, Roma is something really special, I can't start to describe how into it I was, I loved how Cuaron chose his camera angels, to provide the maximum presence, it just flows naturally, again at times it feels all too real, and that right there is near impossible to capture in such manner, it takes and lot to make something so simple.

The acting is spectacular, almost half the film we're presented with articulate shots that speaks volumes and doesn't need any dialogue to explain it, an also, Cuaron's attention to the background which is a story in and of itself.

What I'm trying to say here is Roma is as pure as they come, it's like an untouched part of nature so beautiful and so wild, it demands admiration, so ultimately, Roma is a fine piece of craft and an extremely rare gem, I absolutely, completely, utterly, fully enjoyed and loved this film, the power of film doesn't get stronger than this.
marklaing1Jan 26, 2019
Static camera and self-indulgent reminiscing? Some bits were great but it kinda seemed like one of those Film School student films but longer. Much longer.
CosiMOLOGOFeb 13, 2019
Con una trayectoria que abarca 9 películas (incluyendo a esta) el director mexicano marcó un estilo definido y reconocible, en la fotografía y edición. Trajo escenas majestuosas como el plano secuencia final en Niños de Hombre o la escenaCon una trayectoria que abarca 9 películas (incluyendo a esta) el director mexicano marcó un estilo definido y reconocible, en la fotografía y edición. Trajo escenas majestuosas como el plano secuencia final en Niños de Hombre o la escena inicial en Gravedad. Pero con esta consolida ese estilo implantado sus anteriores realizaciones.

Lavar los platos o limpiar el corredor de una casa se vuelve hermoso y se siente real. Planos generales y pausados, mostrando la influencia que tiene de Emmanuel Lubezki con un trabajo excelente en la profundidad de campo, van envolviéndonos en la cotidianidad de una empleada doméstica de una familia medio acomodada durante los 70. La estupenda fotografía de Cuarón y la edición convierte a la película en una recordatorio fiel y con el mismo impacto de un documental sobre esa época, trayendo una experiencia sensorial pocas veces vista en una película.

No solo la recreación de la época sorprende, sino el retrato que hace sobre el rol de la mujer en la familia a través de Cleo, recordando y tributando con esperanza y deseos de reflexión. Cuarón toma momentos de su vida para construir este relato contemplativo y pausado que llega a un punto de clímax pasando por escenas que hipnotizan por su complejidad y belleza. La actuación de Yalitza Aparicio cautiva desde el inicio, sin impostaciones ni sobre-actuación, mostrando una imagen honesta sobre su condición y además la soledad y miedo al desamparo. La nueva actriz a logrado conmover y mostrado su talento en esta película, que seguro sera recordada como lo mejor del cine latinoamericano moderno.
QLA92Nov 21, 2018
Roma is an astonishingly beautiful film filled to the brim with emotionally devastating and uplifting moments. Yalitza Aparicio and Marina de Tavira deliver Oscar-worthy performances, however the star of this spectacle is director, writer,Roma is an astonishingly beautiful film filled to the brim with emotionally devastating and uplifting moments. Yalitza Aparicio and Marina de Tavira deliver Oscar-worthy performances, however the star of this spectacle is director, writer, editor and cinematographer Alfonso Cuaron. Expand
ag6889Nov 21, 2018
Sublime, engrossing work. If you can't see it in theaters, lose yourself to a dark room, two hours on your laptop and a great pair of headphones.
VincentNov 24, 2018
Simply the movie of the year. A new renaissance of emotional film-making. There is one unnecessary scene that threatens to ruin the beauty of the rest of the movie, but I can forgive it because the rest of the movie is that good. OutstandingSimply the movie of the year. A new renaissance of emotional film-making. There is one unnecessary scene that threatens to ruin the beauty of the rest of the movie, but I can forgive it because the rest of the movie is that good. Outstanding film!

Update: Post-Netflix, the theater experience is superior to the television experience sadly. The sound is flat where in the theater it was immersive and 3D (such as the laundry scene and the hill scene with the animals), and the size and scale of the set really is not given its full due on a television screen. I can understand why people who saw this on their television might not get the hype, but it is so much more transporting when the sound/screen is done right. Still a great movie, but it is sad to see and understand why people are not getting the hype/why people are so fascinated and impressed with this film.
BeastJ18Dec 3, 2018
One of the best films of the 21st century and DEFINITELY the best film of 2018. This is a level of masterpiece that doesn't come around often. It is beautifully, emotionally and dauntingly shot, one of the most daring film scripts of recentOne of the best films of the 21st century and DEFINITELY the best film of 2018. This is a level of masterpiece that doesn't come around often. It is beautifully, emotionally and dauntingly shot, one of the most daring film scripts of recent times, completed by excellent performances. The direction of Cuarón balances subtle emotion and powerful sentiment in a rarely perfect manner, for any art form. It deserves to take home the majority of major Oscars this year, in; Best Picture, Best Director, Best Lead Actress, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography and many more. Expand
LamontRaymondDec 9, 2018
At this point, it's either #1 or #2 on my movie-of-the-year list. There were a couple of moments in this film when the woman sitting next to me looked over because I unconsciously let out gasps. Incredibly emotional and beautifully shot.At this point, it's either #1 or #2 on my movie-of-the-year list. There were a couple of moments in this film when the woman sitting next to me looked over because I unconsciously let out gasps. Incredibly emotional and beautifully shot. Yalitza Aparicio as Cleo is incredibly good in the role. The hospital sequence and the beach sequence were two of the best scenes committed to film in recent years. I knew going in it had to be good when Joe Morgenstern called it the best movie he's ever seen (though I was a bit skeptical of that for a time - felt like hyperbole), and it absolutely lived up to the hype. This is a film that demands that you see it on the big screen with other people around you. It's a human film that requires your not seeing it along. Expand
ALEXJARAMILLONov 26, 2018
Beautiful, touching. Amazing cinematography.
A very smooth plot that makes the movie look like a short film how good is it.
CMCDec 1, 2018
The good: Lack of Hollywood superficiality and trite conventions. This is a film not a movie. There are many situations and moments inserted that are a bit strange and memorable.
The unfortunate: There is almost no character development, and
The unfortunate: There is almost no character development, and no certainly no arc to the story. As the film advances the story of the wife becomes important, but she oddly is left as a peripheral character. You come away without any insight into the main character, she is almost always an onlooker with little revealed.
The bad: For a film shot in black and white, it was flat- no deep blacks, and an overly warm grey palette. The cinematography was usually wide angle, which means no close-ups of faces and eyes, contributing to the visual lack of character development. It felt like the Director had a check-list of scenes drawn from mostly Italian and Italian Neo-Realism films. So while the film did not seem superficial, the effort was in the end more of a style exercise than emotional storytelling. I give it an 8 because movies today are so dreadful. This film is worth watching and discussing, but does not rise to be considered a truly great film.
hoobokenkenDec 3, 2018
Very well done cinematically. Beautiful story but not terribly original. Entirely subtitled and therefore I assume it will be a Foreign Language contestant at the Oscars and not Best Picture.
sps179Nov 21, 2018
Intellectualise all you wish about the black and white, the nostalgia, the sentiment, the script, or whatever. I challenge you not to be moved by the human force of this movie. Ace production design, and Cuaron himself as cinematographerIntellectualise all you wish about the black and white, the nostalgia, the sentiment, the script, or whatever. I challenge you not to be moved by the human force of this movie. Ace production design, and Cuaron himself as cinematographer getting great shot after great shot, this is one of the movies of the century. Loved the opening sequence, which is simply the maid sluicing the ceramic tiles - with the totally Cuaron exception of a tiny airplane reflection in the gleaming water. He's put his best soul into this, and will never equal it. Expand
TrevorsViewDec 27, 2018
It’s a delicate perspective that teaches the value of letting the mind drive the body, much like Roberto Benigni’s Life is Beautiful. Except now, it’s told through the eyes of a woman with minimal outward emotion expressed. Although it’sIt’s a delicate perspective that teaches the value of letting the mind drive the body, much like Roberto Benigni’s Life is Beautiful. Except now, it’s told through the eyes of a woman with minimal outward emotion expressed. Although it’s first important to know that this otherwise tremendous film in fact has a pretty bad screenplay; Roma is simply not personal enough with what it’s like for a single mother, considering nothing really happens to her, the grandmother, or the kids. They’re all emotionally distanced enigmas who pretty much just stand there as plot devices, not human beings.

Rather, the focus remains on the house maid, Cleo, whose mental state is shown to be crucial to success. Watching this production through her memory of serving this family has very intelligent establishments, even focusing in on a faucet dripping that connects back to Cleo’s shallow yet stern boyfriend using a shower rod for martial arts while he’s naked. Throughout these memories of a woman who only remembers the harsh, colorless moments as a maid, the creation of 1970’s Mexican culture is valuable for everyone to see. Inside the family’s walls, the television sets and cinema are both critical influences within this narrative. Outside the family’s walls, hail falls after a critical scene to pelt Cleo’s head until it melts into beads of sweat as she glistens during a stressful scene of labor.

It will be easy to remember these seemingly unimportant moments because director Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men, Gravity) knows personally how crucial the brain is, so immediately during the opening credits, he commands total control within the screen by lingering on floor tile that becomes flooded with soapy water, which reflects an airplane in the sky. It’s a unique, provocative image specifically designed to be remembered, especially since that floor tile in the narrow driveway becomes a character that gives Cleo enough reason to enjoy being dead… truly amazing how Cuarón can do that. In the narrow driveway, Cleo first sees the father of the family, as introduced by his car before any face is revealed. While it consequently means nobody in the film is easy to connect with like a new close friendship, the soul breaks through to spark the memory of how several young women would see their father during dark trials.

Then Cuarón goes right from here to give information about the family through the young boys playing with guns, which seems like nothing at first, but carefully doses some foreshadowing toward an eventual street riot. Even when things get chaotic, Cuarón keeps quiet spectacle going louder than any James Bond movie, to the point when even the performances shine when the camera lingers on the details of the home. He doesn’t need all these closeups, but naturally keeps his actors on the same page as they make art out of the problematic script.

The tone remains quiet as the camera very slowly pans through Cleo turning off all the lights downstairs before bed, which makes a powerful ocean moment near the very end permanently impressionable. Many scenes, especially that one, are all in one long take that allows the lush black and white imagery to test your eyes. In the end, the imagery goes beyond just being mere pixels on a screen—but the memories shared in the same way somebody in Cleo’s predicament would remember it, making you and her one in body and spirit. That doesn’t mean this movie is for everybody. In fact, if you’re looking for something relatable in the instantly approachable sense, then the screenplay written by Alfonso Cuarón will not help. Unlike what the final moments of the film suggest, the idea never gets across that Cleo was ever a real sincere part of the family she serves. While it’s verbally communicated satisfactorily, it has much more potential than the final product. There are no real personal moments between Cleo and each of the family members to give you a clear sense of what their individual relationships are like, nor are there real personal moments between the sons and daughter, like this film pretends are there. It ultimately results in an incorrect message that humanity just exists without an end goal, that people might as well be passive since nothing we do really matters.

That henceforth categorizes Roma as a, “you either love it or you don’t” type of movie. That’s much what many of the old classics from the 1950s is like. For myself, after watching Roman Holiday, despite everyone calling it one of the greatest romantic comedies in history, I basically just went, “meh, now I can at least say I’ve seen it.” But there’s still an audience for it, as I know of an author in the UK who loves that movie! That’s how it will be for this film: If it doesn’t sound appealing, then you can look elsewhere for other experimental films that satisfy your taste buds.
AndrewBurgeDec 21, 2018
Alfonso Cuarón was always great at mixing visual proficiency with human emotions, often presenting the world (or outer space, in "Gravity") in a lush, pristine manned and making it interact with its characters.

So, in comes 'Roma', his

So, in comes 'Roma', his latest release. Its premise its simple. It focuses on a middle-class family in Mexico City during the early 1970's. Yet for all its bitter-sweet humanity, the film feels slightly disconnected by having the potential of nearly every single scene absorbed by this prism of technical and visual marvel. Sure, it looks good, the atmosphere is present, but this mask, as nice as it might be, its too thick and often the film feels like a family slideshow. Its beautiful, but you do not really want to sit through it.

Alright, maybe not that bad. There are many scenes containing true emotional weight. The one in which the chaos on the streets breaks free, but more than that, the scene in which Cleo (Yalitza Aparicio) gives birth to her firstborn. That scene is presented with a personal purity which could have been this film's mark to greatness. The camera stays fixated, there is a sense of suppressed emergency and for the first time in nearly two hours, I felt truly connected. Not soon enough though, the film goes back to its habits.

Fortunately, this still is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. The Mexican new-wave directors really have a gift for presentation and an unmatched skill of polish when it comes to cinematography and editing. I also feel like mentioning Aparicio, who is a first-time actress at this point. She managed to hold her own as the lonely, troubled but loving maid.

In the end, I believe 'Roma' is more of a personal vision and nostalgic release for Cuarón rather than a traditional film. All this production, art-decoration, cinematography and editing is stunning to behold, too bad its such a thick emotional filter.
BrianMcCriticDec 22, 2018
Roma is undoubtedly one of the best looking movies of the year and does a remarkable job at conveying a message through long shots of the world going on around our main characters. The thing that holds me back is I never could become investedRoma is undoubtedly one of the best looking movies of the year and does a remarkable job at conveying a message through long shots of the world going on around our main characters. The thing that holds me back is I never could become invested in the lead character and towards the end when the emotional pull of the film hits I still felt somewhat hollow. Overall a high to middle 7 a B+. Expand
ledaumasJan 27, 2019
At first, I felt like I was watching a home movie about non-interesting things happening in a family's life. But then you notice how everyone interacts with Cleo, and how in many ways Cleo is central to the family, yet she's ignored andAt first, I felt like I was watching a home movie about non-interesting things happening in a family's life. But then you notice how everyone interacts with Cleo, and how in many ways Cleo is central to the family, yet she's ignored and always in the background taking care of them. The audience realizes that Cleo takes care of the bigger day-to-day family life duties that both parents are neglecting. Cleo tries to have her own life, but it fails in the worst way. Cleo is afraid of losing her job, but receives comfort and understanding from the family without judgment instead. It is the final incident when the entire family realizes what Cleo is to them. That's when Cleo can finally admit to them what she's been truly feeling and that's what causes the family to grow together. I hope these independent movies continue to grow because I'm really tried of seeing studio films where it's just one physical fight after another using special effects. The true battles in life are what's within us, and movies can help teach us how to make lives better. In this case, appreciating the contributions of an indigenous woman, and no matter her station in life, how she helps the family in so many ways besides housework. The family give her a job and out of poverty, and she in turn gives back much more than that in emotional support and love. Expand
mefirstoyJan 28, 2019
It is not because I am Mexican. It is not because I am a filmmaker. But this film is a work of art. It's a reminder of Fellini, Ford Coppola, Tornatore, Wiene, Murnau, Fernández, Buñuel, Chaplin, Scorsese, Scott, Del Toro, Kubrick... AIt is not because I am Mexican. It is not because I am a filmmaker. But this film is a work of art. It's a reminder of Fellini, Ford Coppola, Tornatore, Wiene, Murnau, Fernández, Buñuel, Chaplin, Scorsese, Scott, Del Toro, Kubrick... A reminder of the true beauty of cinema. A reminder that life, tragedy, pain... can look and feel so beautiful on screen, and touch your heart in a more meaningful way than life can sometimes do. This is Cuarón at his best: master filmmaker. Expand
michimichNov 21, 2018
Wow. I understand that this film won't appeal to every single viewer's sensibilities, but I am just incredibly surprised/entertained at some of the commenters who seek to dilute this film to nothing more than a fluff piece about theWow. I understand that this film won't appeal to every single viewer's sensibilities, but I am just incredibly surprised/entertained at some of the commenters who seek to dilute this film to nothing more than a fluff piece about the importance of maids. If one were to do a simple google search (I know, imagine having the gall to do something so simple!), they would know that Roma is a district in D.F. and not some highbrow reference or attempt at being avant-garde. Based on the first user review here, it's almost like asking "how DARE a filmmaker give insight into a piece of history/their own past and how it factored into the greater societal conflicts of the time????" I suppose we should only tell stories of westernized families who mostly resemble our own, correct? Or even better, how about we simply disregard every history book and biographical novel who explains a worldview/experience different from our own! The fact that some reviewers have the audacity to call Cleo a "weak" character reveals a failure to understand the ever fluctuating nature of a family's dynamics. There is no inherent hierarchy in Roma's family, as the familial roles ebb and flow based on the unexpected internal and external situations the family find themselves in. Losing one family member often translates to the rest of the family taking on new or unfamiliar roles and responsibilities. The long-term identity of a family (and ultimately, the values and identities of its children) is based on the members who become solidified in that family over several years. It's not about who the family started out with, it's about the members who stayed and formed the foundation. I wasn't aware that a film seeking to express and reflect on the development of a child's memory (Cuaron's own) would be considered "high-brow." Expand
netflicDec 10, 2018
"Roma" is the latest movie by a famous Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron.

Cuaron is not only the director of this movie but also the writer and cinematographer. The movie is a recollection of Cuaron's childhood years so it is to some degree
"Roma" is the latest movie by a famous Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron.

The movie is a recollection of Cuaron's childhood years so it is to some degree autobiographical.

The main character of the movie is a live-in made Cleo who lives with a family of four kids, in a big house in Roma, an affluent neighborhood in Mexico City.

The movie is long and very artsy, made with lots of taste and style.

It is deliberately slow in the beginning showing a slice of life
of a family in a big city. The story develops and becomes more and more dramatic without phony pathos or flashy Hollywood tricks.

Overall, it is an incredibly good film, definitely Oscar material.
Shot in black-and-white.
amheretojudgeDec 14, 2018
To Practice For Perfection.

Roma Cuaron's jaunting stay is frankly too practical to handle. Mumbling the mundane lifestyle of a maid in a mellow vocab, Cuaron has made his best film to date. First thing's first, the notable and yes loud
To Practice For Perfection.

Roma

Cuaron's jaunting stay is frankly too practical to handle. Mumbling the mundane lifestyle of a maid in a mellow vocab, Cuaron has made his best film to date. First thing's first, the notable and yes loud cinematography of his is hauntingly beautiful. No one ever points out the facts that goes behind the camera on screen like such and even though it eerily resonates with Anderson's symmetric camera work, it is a testament of its own for he himself was never able to speak effervescently like such. Speaking of it, there barely resides a stable conversation in here, the bickerings, the murmurings, the gossip, every bit of narration is piled under such pragmatic state of environment. Cuaron speaks through body language and physical sequences, to a point where they themselves become a character.

The sequence of a car being parked is so absorbing to encounter it on screen, which then enfolds into another layer of perspective to its intention and then another and then another. Cuaron keeps giving you reason- nay- he challenges you to get disengaged from this humble imbalanced world. And the host that he has selected to narrate this saga is a pure delight on terms of character development. Surprisingly, to write such a character is a daunting task. For its persistency ought to be justified and he does it in here as a mere distraction; kudos to him.

Each time the protagonist is helping the younger ones or her employers, Cuaron subconsciously maps out another milestone in your mind. The stillness of a scene staged in a room puts you right there on the spot among the actors, where you have to work your way through to concentrate the gossip or sort out the primary activity in a frame. Amongst many steps that constructs this ingenious behemoth monument called drama, personally that speaks to you is the sort-of-training-camp where Cuaron speaks honestly of his theme without any strings attached.

The cast has done a fabulous work, from the lead Aparicio as a humble supporter of this family and Tavira as the real supporter of Aparicio, along with the young cast which may resemble to the younger cast of Malick's The Tree Of Life. But Cuaron's dish is not spiced up with plethora of ingredients like Malick's, his sweetness is competent enough to tick for its course. Cuaron's span spent upon screen is a mesmerizing poem weaved out to clean and scrub a house properly.

And boy what a poem it is, dipped into a metaphorical tone, it soars just like those planes hovering around in the background. For the most part of it, Cuaron keeps the frame under the shades, teasing us to seek for the action going on and similar to it the storytelling too feeds on our imagination that is at brisk all the time, especially the last act that scares you with the closure that you are trying to achieve. Roma narrows down cinema to a better quality, Cuaron makes sure it isn't compromised for any reason whatsoever, not even for him.
avr50Dec 14, 2018
¿Porqué no hay cineastas como Cuarón trabajando actualmente en México? Roma es una belleza de película desde principio a fin. La mejor película del año porque hace lo que muy pocas películas hacen, mostrarnos la belleza y la tristeza del día¿Porqué no hay cineastas como Cuarón trabajando actualmente en México? Roma es una belleza de película desde principio a fin. La mejor película del año porque hace lo que muy pocas películas hacen, mostrarnos la belleza y la tristeza del día a día. Expand
moviemitch96Dec 15, 2018
This admittedly simple and straightforward, yet beautifully shot film follows a year in the life of a middle-class Mexican family in the 1970s. Directed by Alfonso Cuaron (director of films such as Children of Men, Gravity, and even the thirdThis admittedly simple and straightforward, yet beautifully shot film follows a year in the life of a middle-class Mexican family in the 1970s. Directed by Alfonso Cuaron (director of films such as Children of Men, Gravity, and even the third Harry Potter film), the film has such a natural eye and attention to detail and aesthetics throughout, and the portrayal of this family simply trying to live the best life they possibly can is tender and emotionally impactful. Overall, it does have moments where not much is happening, but the gorgeous black and white cinematography captures so many beautiful shots and easily makes up for those moments, and the film's simple yet completely natural approach to an average everyday family just trying to get by little by little proves surprisingly compelling and emotionally investing for the most part. And despite this being a Netflix film, I wouldn't at all be surprised if this film ends up in several major categories at the Oscars (even best picture!) Expand
katezoeDec 15, 2018
Masterpiece! One of the best films of all time. Direction and fluid camera work is breath taking. Brilliant cinematography. The acting is flawless. Magical story of a family and their maid. Oscars for Alfonso Cuaron best film, director,Masterpiece! One of the best films of all time. Direction and fluid camera work is breath taking. Brilliant cinematography. The acting is flawless. Magical story of a family and their maid. Oscars for Alfonso Cuaron best film, director, screenplay, cinematography. Expand
petearellanoDec 14, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unfortunately, although the premise is universal and criticizes disparity in society, Roma is a film that can only be fully understood by a middle-class Mexican. That forgotten class that exists and struggles inside the Latin American country. Only a Mexican will identify the nostalgia of playing with hail during the rainy season or the stress posed by an incoming earthquake. Only a Mexican will remember the authoritarian rule of the PRI and the student repression ordered by the government. With long and depressing shots -such as everydayness- Cuarón portrays wonderfully the life of the domestic service in Mexico. Moreover, he plays with the nostalgia of daily life in Mexico City before the overpopulation of the incoming decades. A time long yearned by the old citizens of the largest metropolis in the Western Hemisphere. Peculiarly, most criticism to Roma is drawn by people who do not understand the dynamic of Mexican life. Cuarón's family is not a wealthy one, they can afford domestic service because one of the tragedies of the Latin American country is precisely the wages of this cruel benefit. Moreover, most of the people engaged in this servitude comes precisely from the largely marginalized indigenous communities of Southern Mexico. Roma is a must-see. Not only to appreciate another facet of the neighbor to the south but to understand that injustice is present in every social stratum. Expand
adyescuFeb 18, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the worst films I've ever watched in my entire life. I kept waiting for something to happen.

A complete waste of time…
alejandro970Dec 16, 2018
17 años después de Y tu mamá también Alfonso Cuarón a México con una más personalizada e introspectiva, apoyado en un estupendo trabajo de fotografía y personajes absorbentes: la madre de familia y la empleada domesticada que deben17 años después de Y tu mamá también Alfonso Cuarón a México con una más personalizada e introspectiva, apoyado en un estupendo trabajo de fotografía y personajes absorbentes: la madre de familia y la empleada domesticada que deben sobrellevar, cada una a su modo, el abandono de un padre cobarde y desnaturalizado. Narrado en un bien reproducido ambiente de época entre el vintage y el retro, es una de las películas de 2018 que dejarán huella indeleble. Sin falta. Expand
Creeper3455Dec 16, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS for Roma,so please check the movie out before reading the review!

Alfonso Cuaron is an interesting filmmaker to discuss. Children Of Men was a “Story Setup Simmer” in a depressing future (until the 3rd Act),and Gravity taught me that the best experiences often don’t really need a story. Now with Roma (the new Netflix movie) he tackled something I wouldn’t expect (aside the technical aspect,but that’s for later): He made a movie that a director like Steve McQueen (Widows,Shame) would be proud.
In fact,the screenplay takes a bit too much time to set up a situation,for example,and get away with it really fast,and the presentation of this family feels like a metropolis at home,especially for the main character we’re following throughout the whole picture,Cleo (played by Yalitza Aparicio). And the screenplay sets her up to be a presence...Until the last half of the 2nd Act,where,aside from her presence,the screenplay dumps everything onto the garbage bin (for example,her best friend ignores her only to go in a more menacing road,the baby of hers was born dead...I mean,it goes deep in a heartbeat),only for that to be an excuse so that the family she works for loves her (and,in context,it makes sense,given that this family got separated from their father,who was basically an imbecile during its screen-time). I mean,what I said feels like another A+ Steve McQueen movie: slow buildup to a situation,the fact we follow this person for the whole movie,the fact that sometimes it feels like a short.
But that didn’t mean I was disappointed with the screenplay (as a whole),as the movie can be a great example of “Character Study”,since it sets Cleo up pretty fast instead of waiting 15-30 Minutes for a new character root. And it has a pretty emotional weight to it whenever it tries to take a break and let some characters breathe (when Cleo’s baby was considered dead,I was clenching my fists scared in the seat).
Alright,now for the technical aspect… This may be the best use of Dolby Atmos+Vision in a movie this year. The use of Dolby Vision was perfect in every frame,as this is bound to be one of the few inspirations for my comicbook drawings (since I’m trying to approach a style almost like that),and also because it definitely feels like a fantastic Throwback Thursday to the golden days of Black and White Movies. And sound mix in Dolby Atmos is flawless in every detail. Sound always flows in every speaker,and it manages to get really intense without having one of those bass-thumping moments. This may be the closest thing to a true 360° Sound Field (what Atmos is made for). Also,pay attention,because sometimes the mix will drop an important piece of story when you’ll be looking at the fantastic cinematography.
Look,I’m not saying Roma is bad or horrible as an Alfonso Cuaron movie,because there are some damn good things about it (and some inspirational ones,at times). Problem was just the fact that the screenplay was disappointing,because I didn’t expect such a grandiose screenplay that just feels like it’s in the wrong movie. Still,watch the movie. You’ll probably enjoy it better than me.
But ending just like “Children Of Men” with a “Shantih Shantih Shantih” was an awesome touch to the end credits.
FlawlessasurnotDec 17, 2018
Esta película marca un hito definitivo en la carrera cinematográfica de Cuarón, poniéndolo entre los mejores hasta ahora. Viendo su buena producción, fotografía, sonido y la simultaneidad y casi perfección de cada acción, marca esta películaEsta película marca un hito definitivo en la carrera cinematográfica de Cuarón, poniéndolo entre los mejores hasta ahora. Viendo su buena producción, fotografía, sonido y la simultaneidad y casi perfección de cada acción, marca esta película como la mejor de este año y, quizás, de todos los tiempos. Expand
josecaioDec 21, 2018
Um filme no qual Cuarón tem a liberdade de dirigir, escrever e fazer a fotografia da própria obra, atingindo o seu ápice artístico entregando uma simples embora lindíssima história contada numa narrativa paciente, calma e poderosa.
goncalocoutoDec 27, 2018
"Roma" tem um início (primeiros 30 minutos) lento, no entanto, a segunda parte do filme é simplesmente fenomenal. Em geral, o filme é belo, intenso e emocionante.
IexistDec 30, 2018
Roma is the latest film by Alfonso Cuaron. It’s a departure from his most recent film, “Gravity” and honestly, the change didn’t bother me all that much. It’s a nice experience that’s beautifully shot, beautifully told and beautifullyRoma is the latest film by Alfonso Cuaron. It’s a departure from his most recent film, “Gravity” and honestly, the change didn’t bother me all that much. It’s a nice experience that’s beautifully shot, beautifully told and beautifully modest.

Roma tells the story of Cleo, a maid working for a higher class family in the neighbourhoods of colonia... Roma. The story is told from the limited perspective of Cleo and it entells her entire year with the family. It takes a while to get going, I can’t say I was fully invested until around the 45 minute mark, but once a certain scene played out I was invested for the rest of the runtime. The film’s presentation is simply phenomenal. Cuaron managed to capture the setting and breathe life into it. Every shot is a long drawn out shot that looks simply amazing and also highlights the talents of the actors. Speaking of which, the actors in this film are amazing. None of the actors involved give a weak performance, even the children. Goes to show what happens when you cast based on talent. Also benefitting the film is the sound design. The film’s use of sound is unmatched by anything else this year. When the characters walk through water, it just sounds so good! It’s honestly amazing how a film that doesn’t use colour has more colour in it than most other films.

In the background of Cleo’s story is also the story of Sofia, the mother of this household. Sofia’s gradual breakdown across the film was honestly one of the highlights of the film to me, especially considering how much of a good person she was earlier in the film. In fact, all of the adult characters in this film was really well fleshed out and feel like real people. I didn’t really hate any of the characters. My only complaint with the character work is that the child characters felt particularly underdeveloped. Each of them are given one or two moments to shine, but outside of them I didn’t really connect with them as people at all. I also found the oldest child kind of annoying. I didn’t really get to know anything about his character except he’s a ReBeLioUs tEeN hOw rElaTaBlE.

My only other complaint in the film comes from the long drawn out shots. While I already complimented these long drawn out shots, they’re undeniably impressive and gorgeous however I also felt they detrimented the film at one point. Near the end of the film, what I would consider the climax of the film felt kind of weirdly shot. While the shot itself is simply stunning to look at, and the fact that the climax of the film is done in a single shot is undeniably brave, I didn’t feel like the characters were in any danger. I’m not really sure what would’ve prevented this issue, but I would’ve suggested holding the camera a bit closer to the action just so I could’ve seen what was going on a little better. It’s a shame too, everything leading up to this moment was framed in such a perfect way that honestly, it’s such a shame I had this issue.

Overall, Roma is an experience. The well developed characters, amazing visual and audio quality and modest tone make for what is one of the better films of this year. I recommend watching this film on the big screen in a cinema to appreciate its full beauty, but if not then it’s on Netflix. Go watch it.
AndremaxDec 30, 2018
Roma is visually beautiful, absolutely touching and emotional and mixes these points to a precise Cuaron's direction, maintaining rhythm all over picture always holding watcher. Maybe 2018 year's movie.
AlfonsoAVDec 30, 2018
Just can't explain how much I liked this movie. MUST see if you're into good camera handling and good shots. Quite slow movie but that makes you enjoy it more. 10/10 for me, absolutely.
MattBrady99Dec 31, 2018
“I like being dead.”

“I like being dead.”

‘Roma’ is poetic film making at its finest. One of the beautiful and unique movies of 2018. Such an experience that after it was over, I struggled to utter a word. A masterful portrayal of joy, loss, betrayal, birth and heartbreak.

I’m honestly flawed by this. I cherish these type of movies.

I love the long tracking shots that lets the audience soak in the environment and scan every corner of the frame. The cinematography is so stunning and evocative, it implanted a image forever stuck in my mindset. Every frame is so carefully precise, I could make a picture frame out of them and hang up on a wall.

None of it felt fake, just real and raw. Same thing with the performances from everyone. Yalitza Aparicio is absolutely fantastic in this movie. However, what surprised me is finding out that this is her first big role, because I, not for one second would have never guessed that. If you thought that was impressive, Aparicio was told at the last minute by Cuaron about the birth scene and how that escalates (without spoiling anything). This being her first role and given such a tricky task, which she effortlessly pulls off - it makes me question if there’s any point of going to drama school. Simply amazing.

Alfonso Cuaron is a gift to cinema. The forest fire and beach scenes proves he’s the Tarkovsky of this generation.

I won’t say no more. See it for yourself if you’re interested.

Happy New Year everyone!
ahmedaiman1999Dec 16, 2018
I admire movies of this kind; movies that feel simple and spontaneous, and have unrestrained plot. But I prepare myself before watching a movie of this kind; simply because I usually don't find myself connected emotionally with these movies.I admire movies of this kind; movies that feel simple and spontaneous, and have unrestrained plot. But I prepare myself before watching a movie of this kind; simply because I usually don't find myself connected emotionally with these movies. And I was ready to watch one of these art-house movies that I appreciate from the artistic and technical standpoint more than truly enjoying them. But Roma really took me off guard. Because I found out that Cuarón took this artistic approach in making this movie just to tie the somewhat loose plot of an ordinary story into an emphatic and heart-wrenching force.

Cuarón's audiovisual motifs find their way across the film, not for the sake of showing his masterful skills, but to represent metaphorically, or sometimes literally, the characters' feelings, characteristics, nature, express their relationships to each other, and to mark major turning points in the story. When he doesn't use metaphors, Caurón plays, literally, with the contrast between background and foreground, and therefore allowing us to witness the currently unfocused on characters. This give me an opportunity to experience what all characters feel at every moment, and not loosing touch with any one of them at all. Furthermore, this gave the movie some kind of vividness that elevated the experience of watching it even more.

By doing so, Cuarón didn't just give us a phenomenal piece of cinema, but he also subverted the art-house film genre, and proved that films can be as technically flawless and outstanding as they are thoroughly accessible and absorbing.

The first act is a combination of simplicity and innovative visual storytelling.
The third act showcases Cuarón at the top of his visual craft, and that's when his signature long takes were prevalent, and each was as masterful as the last. But there's one in particular that sent chills down my spine, and kept me on the edge of my seat.
The second act, however, is more artistically enthralling than emotionally. Flawless from the narrative and technical, of course, aspects, but it's more "Arthouse" and meditative than anything else. It has some of the most beautiful shots, and moments, of the movie, though. And I really can't say that the movie lost me even for a split second.

The story isn't the most original thing you'll ever encounter. Actually, the characters arcs are quite familiar, but that doesn't take away even the slightest hint of greatness from this masterwork due to the completely unorthodox and refreshing ways the film narrated, structured, shot, and edited in. That said, I couldn't help notice the stereotypical character arc of Sra. Sofía (Marina de Tavira's character) at the end of the movie. Cleo, on the other hand, has enough genuine nuances and twists in her character arc that breathed new life into the character, let alone Yalitza Aparicio's spellbinding performance. Nevertheless, Marina de Tavira's committed performance is nothing short of stellar.

I hope Roma will jump start a career for Yalitza Aparicio. I already knew that many critics praised her performance in this movie, claiming that she gave one of the best performances of the year, but I really didn't expect that her performance will fascinate me like it did. For as much as I admired Hamilton Morris's performance in Sweet Country, or Brady Jandreau's in The Rider, I appreciated them for their naturalism and authenticity more than anything else. But as for Yalitza Aparicio, I really can't make up my mind whether her performance or Emily Blunt's in A Quiet Place is the best performance by an actress I've seen this year so far. And the same goes with these two movies they starred in as well.

Alfonso Cuarón doesn't go with the flow neither by giving priority to politics over anything else, nor by squandering his creative vision for the sake of making Hollywood cash-grab blockbusters. He stays true to his idiosyncratic vision, and faithful to his jaw-dropping trademarks. And here he is making yet another masterpiece that is captivating, poignant, personal and subversive all at once. And easily one of the most accessible art-house films ever made! Roma is a daring simple film.

(9/10)
WaelDec 17, 2018
"Roma" is both a visual and a sentimental masterpiece. The direction is outstanding (Kudos to you, Alfonso Cuaron), and the characters are very lovable. I felt like I lived with them in that house for two hours. The film encapsulates so much"Roma" is both a visual and a sentimental masterpiece. The direction is outstanding (Kudos to you, Alfonso Cuaron), and the characters are very lovable. I felt like I lived with them in that house for two hours. The film encapsulates so much emotion, and delivers a strong near-to-ending sequence. One of the best films I've seen this year. 9/10. Expand
MetawalkerACDec 18, 2018
Understated and subdued, especially compared to hollywood blockbusters or typical award-far, but technically brilliant and full of wonderful moments that dazzle the senses.
RuyWangDec 22, 2018
Roma gets off to a slow start, and some people might consider the first 30-40 minutes boring, but the 2nd half of this Cuaron film is as good as critics make it out to be. It's realistic and heartbreaking at times, with great directing and acting.
DaniLoudDec 28, 2018
Roma is a masterpiece that works with a very quiet cinematography with touches of B&W that loves this Cuarón´s masterpiece. It's A tale to him family and a love letter to him women, it's fantastic.
carldamnitDec 15, 2018
Beautiful. I'm going to watch it ten more times before I decide whether or not I like the implications of the classist propaganda of the movie but it's so beautiful and so nuanced, I don't think it takes away from it being a great movie.
movieducationDec 16, 2018
After bringing wonder and making me like a child - stunned - in Gravity, Alfonso Cuaron brings back the same ambition - to capture every frame beautifully, to transport, ROMA is worth every tears I’ve shed but this time I could not smell hisAfter bringing wonder and making me like a child - stunned - in Gravity, Alfonso Cuaron brings back the same ambition - to capture every frame beautifully, to transport, ROMA is worth every tears I’ve shed but this time I could not smell his ambition and that’s the highest feat. Expand
migdalorguyDec 26, 2018
This film is a masterpiece. I say this even though the film did not connect with me as deeply as it has for some. It is beautifully written, filmed, and acted. It doesn't fully connect for me precisely because it is yet another film writtenThis film is a masterpiece. I say this even though the film did not connect with me as deeply as it has for some. It is beautifully written, filmed, and acted. It doesn't fully connect for me precisely because it is yet another film written as a valentine by someone who grew up in relative comfort to the lower class nanny/au pere who raised them. As such, gritty as it can be, it is still the rich man's perspective on how the lower class lives and experiences life, and throughout watching the film I couldn't escape that feeling. I was watching another man's shockingly honest yet at the same time still rose-colored dream perspective of not only his own reality but that of those of a lower social class who helped raise him. All that being said, Cuaron can't help being who he is. This film is deserving of every accolade and award that it gets. Expand
FrostyGammaDec 30, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What makes Roma an incredibly boring film? It is not for lack of plot; a lot happens to Cleo and the family for which she works. It is a misplaced focus. There is an enormous amount of screen time given to bands marching down the street and to street musicians, with whom the characters show no notice. There are numerous long shots of the courtyard, where you are left with counting how many piles of dog poop are there today. Only in a couple of scenes does anyone interact with the poop. There are numerous scenes of being careful not to let the dog out or to run after it, but in only one scene does anyone interact with the dog. There are scenes of the children playing and fighting that have nothing to do with the plot. When something dramatic does happen, all the emotion is drained out of the scene. It's like watching staged figurines covered in bubble wrap. It takes a skill to film scenes like a deadly riot, a stillbirth and a near drowning and leave the audience unmoved. Cleo manages to deliver the line about not wanting the baby to be born as if she's reading a news report. Was she ashamed, relieved, guilty? We'll never know. It's one thing to portray a stoic character, but that's not what is going on here. She seems robotic at the most dramatic times; she could show some emotion on her face and the director could capture that.

Frankly, part of me was hoping Cleo would drown saving the kids as I was so incredibly tired of watching her character and it might bring the film to a close sooner.

I kept watching the film to the end, hoping it would improve, but it never did. It is a self-indulgent bore and a waste of over two hours.
leobrodskyJan 10, 2019
This is the most boring and dull movie I had ever watched. This movie may lead only to depression. Now I fully understand Donald Trump, who wants to build wall between USA and Mexico.
IzagoDec 21, 2018
Roma em minha opinião é parecido com o filme boyhood e lady bird que mostra a vida do protagonista e termina finalizando uma parte de sua história de uma forma lenta, sem chamar atenção, sem deixar você curioso, motivados, ou qualquer outraRoma em minha opinião é parecido com o filme boyhood e lady bird que mostra a vida do protagonista e termina finalizando uma parte de sua história de uma forma lenta, sem chamar atenção, sem deixar você curioso, motivados, ou qualquer outra emoção, o filme segue essa linha. Fotografia e as câmeras ficaram muito bons, me agrada muito se filmam de um ângulo ou jeito diferente e nesse ele mantém o mesmo jeito. Trilha sonora? Não tem, e eu acho que isso poderia deixar algumas cenas mais tensas e deixa las mais excitantes. Talvez para quem viveu no Mexico nessa época ou fez parte de alguma história próxima tenha se emocionado mais, pois para mim foi somente mais um filme. Expand
abdiespinozaJan 3, 2019
México no es así del todo, solo un sector, nos hace ver a todos como unos mestizos con vida muy pobre y noooo, México tiene muchas caras
Iky009Jan 4, 2019
Cuáron cria personagens profundos dos quais simpatizamos, odiamos, e muitas vezes torcemos por eles, e esperando que no fim, tudo de certo. Roma é um retrato sensível, as vezes cru e realista de uma década turbulenta, uma obra-prima que passaCuáron cria personagens profundos dos quais simpatizamos, odiamos, e muitas vezes torcemos por eles, e esperando que no fim, tudo de certo. Roma é um retrato sensível, as vezes cru e realista de uma década turbulenta, uma obra-prima que passa uma mensagem de uma época da qual, ainda se reflete nos dias atuais. Expand
VirgonoShakaJan 7, 2019
Well damn Cuaron, you did it again. Roma is not only a movie, it is an art exposition. Every shot, every moment is so well handled and filmed that a lot of the times I was thinking more about the how they did it than what was happening in theWell damn Cuaron, you did it again. Roma is not only a movie, it is an art exposition. Every shot, every moment is so well handled and filmed that a lot of the times I was thinking more about the how they did it than what was happening in the screen. Thankfully, I had a masterpiece of storytelling, with great performances and a humanity that is often missing in movies, to the point that I really felt I was a watching a real place in real time, with every person on screen (even the Extras) having a story, and at many times, stories that I wanted to see. I can't recommend enough, and it is my best movie of 2018 without a doubt. Expand
ViniciusBritoJan 7, 2019
Cleo works as a maid in a rich people's house, and together with them she goes into some travels, she does have her personal life relationship and goes through a lot of struggle in her life, while the mexican political situation isCleo works as a maid in a rich people's house, and together with them she goes into some travels, she does have her personal life relationship and goes through a lot of struggle in her life, while the mexican political situation is complicated in that time that the "El Halconazo" have happened. Directed and written by Alfonso Cuarón.
The best thing about this movie, is the outstanding technical part for sure, there are so many fantastic things in this movie about this that i don't think that it is possible to put in words, it is so giant and amazing the job that they have done with immersion, this is probably one of the movies that i have felt more immersed while watching it from all, the movie is slow, but this happens for you to hear every little thing that is happening in that place, to see and feel every little small and single thing. The photography in here is also gorgeous, the camera movimentation is so sweet, is so not intrusive, it feels that you are there, watching from far away, the way that the camera is positioned in this film, so as it is moved, quietly and slowly, all of those things together allows you to almost smell the place.
The choregography in some more agitated and with violence moments are also perfect, because you can't tell that there is one, everything feels so real, in a level that got scary.
The story in this film is, for sure the biggest problem, so as the biggest differential in here, is definely what separate people that gonna love it and find it a disgrace. The thing about the story is that first, it is really real, real in way that everything could be happening inside of your own house, or with your neighbor, so it don't have a big narrative, plot twists, a big construction, it is really simple in a way that, as i said, could be happening to anyone. Another thing about this narrative, the director wanted to make us immerse a lot in this film, wich worked 100%, but in other hand to do it so he had to use some time in order to let us feel the place, a lot of time is in simple things, like Cleo cleaning, or th owners of the house parking the car in the garage, so there a lot of time in really small things, that can make in some moments you get tired, but it works perfectly in the immersion aspect. The narrative overall being so slow does bothered me, in some moments i started having my mind somewhere else, but in others the realism really cought me, fascinated me how that could literally happening in next door.
The story does have different layers and aspects, it talks about the social difference between Cleo and the people that lives in that house, how do they treat her, and how her life is. There is the political aspect of Mexico at that time, with a lot of fights, war and death, moments that shocked a lot. And of course there is the way that Cleo sees all of that.
This is movie for me to be rewatched and get more and more, understand more and more what Cuarón was telling.
This is a story with a lot metaphors, one of the most real stories around there, really remarkable moments and scenes that i would say that already are in the history of movies.
cameronhalmansJan 9, 2019
Roma doesn’t just capture you in the essence of its setting, it captures you with life itself. A film maticulously directed by Alfonso Cauron, that it feels like you’re a spectator in the actual events, not just cinema. A masterpiece.

AMFcriticJan 9, 2019
Alfonso Cuarón returns to emphasize with permanent down his talent and experience in the director's chair; With this tape, the Mexican gives us two hours and fifteen minutes of everyday life; simple, beautiful and distressing black and whiteAlfonso Cuarón returns to emphasize with permanent down his talent and experience in the director's chair; With this tape, the Mexican gives us two hours and fifteen minutes of everyday life; simple, beautiful and distressing black and white everydayness. 90.9 / 100 (9) Expand
DDanteAlgJan 9, 2019
Es aburrida a ratos y la historia no tiene por donde agarrarse, es muy simple pero me encantan los escenarios, no me deja con ganas de mas pero su cámara y movimientos son hermosos, las actuaciones no me deja querer exigir algo mas, hasta losEs aburrida a ratos y la historia no tiene por donde agarrarse, es muy simple pero me encantan los escenarios, no me deja con ganas de mas pero su cámara y movimientos son hermosos, las actuaciones no me deja querer exigir algo mas, hasta los pequeños son geniales en esto y todo es tan bonito pero como digo, es aburrida y no me gusta al inicio no saber nada de que quiere hacer o a donde quiere ir, hasta la segunda vez que la vi pude darme cuenta de que el papa engañaba a la señora que interpreta Marina de Tavira que aun que todos resaltan a la joven principiante yo hoy decidí resaltar solamente la de Marina. Es genial pero no la mires esperando algo muy entretenido en acción o mucho drama, México si necesita cosas como estas. Expand
duanewilliamsJan 14, 2019
This is one of the slower movies of the year's awards nominees. It is well done, but it is also highly predictable. If action films are your favorite, you might want to skip this film. Its got a rather disturbing childbirth scene, which IThis is one of the slower movies of the year's awards nominees. It is well done, but it is also highly predictable. If action films are your favorite, you might want to skip this film. Its got a rather disturbing childbirth scene, which I hope is not realistic. Expand
IsaacJJan 19, 2019
Alfonso Cuaron has made a name for himself as a stellar director but his passion project, 2018’s Roma, is an impressive feat even for this Oscar-winning heavyweight, who not only directs here, but writes, shoots and edits as well. Roma is anAlfonso Cuaron has made a name for himself as a stellar director but his passion project, 2018’s Roma, is an impressive feat even for this Oscar-winning heavyweight, who not only directs here, but writes, shoots and edits as well. Roma is an ode to Cuaron’s childhood in Mexico City, told through the eyes of a young housekeeper, Cleo (newcomer Yalitza Aparicio), whose life we see unfold against the backdrop of political turbulence.
Roma is a definite exercise in artistry; this film is absolutely gorgeous, shot in vintage black and white (a pretentious yet oddly fitting decision), full of wide and detailed shots that immerse us within the world. As well as beauty, there’s a phenomenal sense of authenticity to the film, whether it be in languid scenes that play out in real time or in the film’s intricate sound design, which favours the ambience of street noises over a stringed orchestra. The technical mastery of Roma, however, acts as both its greatest achievement and its pitfall. The film’s design somewhat overshadows its plot, hiding a flawed picture beneath its glossy exterior. Much of this movie, in particular the middle, is rather mundane, struggling to reach the high emotional stakes one expects. The narrative rambles and there are numerous points where the film feels restrained by its luscious presentation. The factor that prevents Roma from becoming simply a parade of pretentiousness is the clearly deep personal reasons behind which it has been made; though the film is not always consistent, Alfonso Cuaron is an attentive director and his intelligent and gentle screenplay is one of the film’s greatest strengths. In all truth, when Roma hits gold, it’s a subtle, yet deeply moving film; scenes in the third act particularly are very well done, serving that desired emotional resonance that the rest of the film desperately fails to deliver. Yalitza Aparicio gives a wonderfully natural performance as Cleo, but the real stand out performer of the film is Marina de Tavira as Sofia, the mother of the family. De Tavira produces the only performance that truly gripped me, never allowing herself to be overshadowed by the virtuous design of the film. Equally satisfying is Cuaron’s clever inclusion of political context that provides for the most pleasing dramatic moments.
Roma is likely to find great success in the awards season this year; credit should be given to the sheer flair of the film’s design and Cuaron’s astute writing and cinematography. However, beneath the art of Roma lies a lesser film, that only sporadically hits its targets of emotion and excitement.
JazzwazlerJan 20, 2019
9.3/10
jimmypowderJan 22, 2019
While I thought it was a good film with remarkable cinematography , I felt the movie really didn't do much character development. It was a review of the daily life of a poor Mexican servant who got pregnant by a guy who left her the minute heWhile I thought it was a good film with remarkable cinematography , I felt the movie really didn't do much character development. It was a review of the daily life of a poor Mexican servant who got pregnant by a guy who left her the minute he found out about the pregnancy. This certainly has happened in poor southern rural places in America numerous times
It just seems the director had to show this poor Mexican lady's life to make a underlying politcal point. It also didn't explain much about the political strife in Mexico at the time. That would have been nice. Overall , a good film but certainly not Pan's Labyrinth .
josefinayanezhJan 23, 2019
Boring black and white film. There is nothing interesting. The boring life of a domestic worker.
SSH83Jan 25, 2019
A film for elitists to feel good about themselves. Liking this film is a way for them to feel like they're doing something for the little guys without actually doing anything. It's a slow, mostly boring, 100% predictable film that seek toA film for elitists to feel good about themselves. Liking this film is a way for them to feel like they're doing something for the little guys without actually doing anything. It's a slow, mostly boring, 100% predictable film that seek to conform than to stand out. Expand
MarkmantJan 26, 2019
This film is more seeing an exhibit of black and white photos in an art gallery rather than a movie. Pretty, but not much going on. To say that the pace is glacial would be an insult to the comparative fleetness of those rivers of ice. TheThis film is more seeing an exhibit of black and white photos in an art gallery rather than a movie. Pretty, but not much going on. To say that the pace is glacial would be an insult to the comparative fleetness of those rivers of ice. The plot is mundane, dialogue sparse, and action is almost non-existent. If you enjoy watching a maid do dishes, pick up dog poop, and do the laundry by hand, this is the movie for you. Go see Green Book, A Star is Born, or BlackkKlansman if you are looking for a best picture nominee to scratch off your list. Expand
9339Feb 3, 2019
The script was poorly written. Much of the acting overdone. I kept waiting for some redeeming value. I can't understand why the movie received any rating above 30.
buddhalouFeb 15, 2019
Stunningly beautiful - truly a master class in cinematography. Dreadfully slow for much of it, though.
5hutupJan 21, 2019
For those of you who don't speak Spanish, WTH did you read? Whole sentences were LEFT OUT; others were poorly translated as if 1/2 by Zellenial TEXTING-IT-IN w/ his/her counterpart at the office using google translate. WTF to the MAX. NEVER.For those of you who don't speak Spanish, WTH did you read? Whole sentences were LEFT OUT; others were poorly translated as if 1/2 by Zellenial TEXTING-IT-IN w/ his/her counterpart at the office using google translate. WTF to the MAX. NEVER. EVER. Have I read such appalling and lacking translation. Black and white worked to emphasize an otherwise over-stylized piece of UPPER-MIDDLE-CLASS this is my NANNY STORY. Yes, I like much of it, but some of it was HEAVY-HANDED e.g. the opening scene of endless washing. And the ZERO translation of the native dialogue? Of the head-dress man at the fire scene? It was all ironically ahistorical, too in leaving out the geopolitics of the US at the time, which is reduced to TV watching, i.e. cinema. If this is the best you have, please take GIRLS creator Lena with you- overrated, self-important, smug as cool, in-crowd. I don't see a masterpiece. I just see another Coppola-esque production, i.e. well-connected, well-produced, well-heeled, but underwhelming and overrated. Expand
Vitor007Jan 23, 2019
Alfonso Cuarón managed to overcome himself after "Gravity". Again, he makes a spectacular screenplay and cinematography with this film. Because it is nothing conventional (consisting of black and white, having a history without any moreAlfonso Cuarón managed to overcome himself after "Gravity". Again, he makes a spectacular screenplay and cinematography with this film. Because it is nothing conventional (consisting of black and white, having a history without any more fantasy and not having been dubbed in countries whose Spanish language does not use) ends up "distracting" the attention of the public (despite attracting the attention of Experts and curious), but even with this concern, the performances in the technical and practical part, "Roma" makes it beautiful, consolidating itself as one of the best films of the year. 9.8/10 Expand
QuijoteJan 23, 2019
Cuarón es un grande y lo vuelve a demostrar con una película muy sencilla y que amerita a veces un cierto conocimiento de su vida y su obra, como por ejemplo el fragmento de Marooned (1969) que nos pone, y que nos transmite sin ningúnCuarón es un grande y lo vuelve a demostrar con una película muy sencilla y que amerita a veces un cierto conocimiento de su vida y su obra, como por ejemplo el fragmento de Marooned (1969) que nos pone, y que nos transmite sin ningún obstáculo todo lo determinante que debió ser lo que le causó, y que conecta en nuestro recuerdo con toda la atmósfera que vivimos en Gravity. Fuera de eso, la base del film es una historia más de criadas como hemos visto miles en todos los países de Latinoamérica. Con una materia prima tan gastada cuesta hacer algo mejor, aunque esto es una película muy íntima de Cuarón y a esa realidad que vimos era a lo que él aspiraba llegar con Roma. Expand
PanchogulJan 29, 2019
Cuarón es un genio, la película es visualmente atrayente pero es demasiado lenta.
Compi24Jan 31, 2019
The kind of stick-to-your-ribs filmmaking with the potential to please any kind of movie fan. It's soulful enough to please the arthouse/indie crowd, emotionally broad and cathartic enough to please more Western-minded cinema-goers, andThe kind of stick-to-your-ribs filmmaking with the potential to please any kind of movie fan. It's soulful enough to please the arthouse/indie crowd, emotionally broad and cathartic enough to please more Western-minded cinema-goers, and technically proficient enough to get the fans of craft going as well. This really is a terrific example of personal filmmaking at its finest, as director Alfonso Cuaron basically bleeds himself, his history, and his worldview onto every frame in the picture. In short, it's a triumph. Expand
SyklatFeb 6, 2019
Alfonso Cuarón için çok şahsi bir film olmuş Roma. Yönetmenin, 70'lerin Meksikasını bize yansıtmak için siyah beyaz yapmayı seçtiği filmin neredeyse her resminde geniş açıyı tercih etmiş. Seyirciyi filmin tam anlamıyla içerisine almak için deAlfonso Cuarón için çok şahsi bir film olmuş Roma. Yönetmenin, 70'lerin Meksikasını bize yansıtmak için siyah beyaz yapmayı seçtiği filmin neredeyse her resminde geniş açıyı tercih etmiş. Seyirciyi filmin tam anlamıyla içerisine almak için de pan ve dolly hareketlerini çok efektif biçimde kullanmış bence. Başından sonuna kadar sıradan ama sıcak bir hikaye işlenen filmin uzun ve tek planlı sahneleri filmin sanatsal yönünü de bir o kadar ortaya çıkarmaya yardımcı olmuş. Ayrıca uzun sahnelerdeki trafik de yönetmenin bu film için ne kadar titiz çalıştığını gösterir gibi. Cannes film festivaline, Netflix yapımı olduğu için alınmayan film bu sebeple bu sene oldukça konuşuldu. Bence de eğer bir festival bu sebeple film kabul etmiyorsa tüm kabul ettiği filmler bağımsız olmalı. Kısacası tam bir yönetmen filmi olan Roma, kesinlikle izlenmesi gerektiğini düşündüğüm filmlerden biri. Expand
AndreDaMeaFeb 9, 2019
This movie got me with mixed feellings. The visuals are great, the choise of black and white makes all the sense, the scenes are well designed, however, the story felt boring and I just didn't believe what I was watching. At times it lookedThis movie got me with mixed feellings. The visuals are great, the choise of black and white makes all the sense, the scenes are well designed, however, the story felt boring and I just didn't believe what I was watching. At times it looked like the lead actress was loking at the camera not knowing what she was supposed to do.
Don't get me wrong, the movie is pretty great, but it is not as Oscar worthy as people want us to believe.
Wschmitty23Feb 9, 2019
Didn't know what to expect when I went into this movie but it turned out to be beautifully shot, heart warming, sad, exciting, lot of emotions going on it. Worth the watch, should probably win best picture
LajaleaaFeb 11, 2019
"No puedo, estoy muerto."
( 72/100 ) . Roma es una colección de fotografías que evocan una memoria con un valor sensible increíble, pero, como dije hace un párrafo, no puedes planear una memoria, y Roma es una memoria muy bien planeada.
"No puedo, estoy muerto."
( 72/100 )
Cuaron no es un tonto y estoy seguro de que sabe cada una de las razones de sus decisiones y el alcance de ellas, lo admiro plenamente por ello. Sin embargo yo no me dejaré llevar tan fácilmente.
Roma relata uno de los fragmentos más importantes en la vida de Cleo, quien trata de darle vida al recuerdo de Libo, quien fue la sirvienta, cuidadora y nana de la familia de Cuaron. Cleo será quien nos transporte por la ciudad y las habitaciones; quien nos hable de las personas, de los romances y odios; las clases sociales, los paisajes, los niños, los adultos y, en sí, el panorama intimo de la sociedad mexicana en los 70's.
Cuaron reafirma su capacidad de hacer cine y su gran habilidad poética. Él se demuestra como una de las personalidades más responsables, humanas, emotivas y conscientes en su arte. Esto no es nuevo, pues en cada uno de sus proyectos sorprende narrativa, visual y simbólicamente. Sin embargo, Roma, como una carta personal a sus seres queridos, no lo siento como su mejor proyecto. A pesar de que cuida y detalla cada plano de sus tomas con paisajes, eventos y rostros, la película es pesada por el hecho de que pretende hacer que su público contemple lo más posible. Uno de los amigos con los que fui a verla mencionó al salir: "Siento que la película podría alargarse todo lo que sea y yo podría seguir viéndola a gusto." Le doy la razón, el nivel de encanto que el público le tenga a la película depende del nivel de atención que le preste a Cuaron, y la paciencia de cargar, no solo con la historia, sino con el lugar y tiempo mismo de la exposición. Dicha exposición es, repito, una colección de memorias fotográficas. La memoria no necesita de narrativa extra, de visualización extra, de buenas actuaciones, de un guión, de una dirección y de un elenco enorme para construir grandes y bellos espacios, sino al revés. El contexto, la actitud, la interacción y la situación están delimitadas por la misma memoria fotográfica. Y Cuaron tomó sus mejores fotografías, las recordó, construyó un escenario para recrearlas, escogió a la gente necesaria para representarla e, independientemente de la calidad, la presentó. Eso no solo es injusto, sino también un golpe bajo. Por eso hay gente enojada con Yalitza Aparicio y su falta de trayectoria; y Marina De Tavira y su falta de presencia comercial. Pero también es por eso que han sido muy merecidamente premiadas con sus nominaciones al Oscars.
El ingenio reside en que Cuaron ha escogido los retratos más bellos no de su vida, sino de la vida. Así como esas pequeñas brisas de paz que me acariciaron aquel día en el que estuve en el bote, él toma a todo su equipo y los pone frente a la cámara para reaccionar ante la belleza de la vida y sus diferentes significados. La belleza de hablar con un niño, la belleza del cuerpo, la belleza del llanto, la belleza un abrazo, de un temblor, tanto en el cuerpo como en el alma, de una abandono, de una búsqueda, de una lucha, de una muerte y una victoria. Cuaron sabe que hay belleza en la vida y lo usa a su favor, usa a la vida para expresarla en su película junto a un elenco que no necesita nada más que ser sensible a ella misma. Por lo tanto no importa que la fotografía tenga efectos especiales, o que el guión salte abruptamente a una resolución incoherente con la actitud de los personajes, personajes que no demuestran un estilo de vida extraordinario. Mientras todos los elementos sean bien advertidos de qué, lo que están haciendo no es actuar y trabajar, sino vivir, todo estará bien. No me quiero extender más. El film es hermoso, y está muy bien filmado, la esperanza que tiene Roma en que el público sea tan sensible, paciente, atento y melancólico es demasiada. Personalmente, tengo suficiente belleza en mi propia vida como para querer verla a través de las fotos de alguien más. Otros tendrán suficiente belleza en la suya como para apreciar la de alguien más. Otros carecerán de belleza en su vida como para ser capaces de admirar la de alguien más, o tal vez carecen tanto de ella que son incapaces de reconocerla aunque la vean en una película. Sea cual sea la situación, Roma es una belleza que no es difícil encontrar en la vida que cada uno de nosotros va fotografiando y coleccionando en su memoria.
DankiliciousFeb 16, 2019
Roma has all the trappings of a phenomenal piece of cinema. Gorgeous cinematography, emotionally gripping storytelling and great acting as well. It's also incredibly apparent the Cuarron is at his absolute best here which considering hisRoma has all the trappings of a phenomenal piece of cinema. Gorgeous cinematography, emotionally gripping storytelling and great acting as well. It's also incredibly apparent the Cuarron is at his absolute best here which considering his pedigree is almost unbelievable. However with all of that being said I did not enjoy the movie that much personally. I found it overall to be a very lonely and boring movie that just overall didn't have a lot of interesting things going on up until the last hour or so of the film. I'm almost sure this is somebody's cup of tea if you are a cinema connoisseur but I just found it hard to get through and had to watch it in about three different sessions. I'm quite sure this will be taking all the Oscars this year and I do think it's deserving of it because after walking away from it I found my still having an enormous amount of respect for it at the very least. Which is why despite my personal feelings about the movie I would be lying to not at least give it a solid 8/10. Expand
XV_Feb 17, 2019
Aside from the photography that looks great, there are a lot of issues within this movie, the passing, the plot, is pretentious and unfocused. On the other hand, there are certain things that seem 'empowering' but they are the other wayAside from the photography that looks great, there are a lot of issues within this movie, the passing, the plot, is pretentious and unfocused. On the other hand, there are certain things that seem 'empowering' but they are the other way around, sure it depicts a lot of issues like racism and social classes which is OK but my problem is that by the end of the movie it kind of have a racist and social message within itself, I don't think that it was intentional but is there. If you don't mind that, I hope you are prepared to lose like 2 hours of your time. Expand
NothingReviewsFeb 18, 2019
From the Director of one of my personal favorite movies of all time Children of Men because of it's an amazing concept, story, and of course, it's cinematography and everything is also in this movie, It talks about a story of this maid andFrom the Director of one of my personal favorite movies of all time Children of Men because of it's an amazing concept, story, and of course, it's cinematography and everything is also in this movie, It talks about a story of this maid and talks about her relationships around her. It's generally one of the best foreign films this year. Sound design is jaw-dropping from the music to the small sound effects. The world feels so real and lively and nobody is off and out of place. I love the black and white style filter, since taking place from 1970 to 1971. It makes feel like I'm there. Every actor and actress even the kids were fantastic, maybe because of the script (It's generally very real like actual people would say).

Please watch this film. It's one of the best Netflix movie I have seen before which is rare to come across. Thank you Alfonso Cuarón for writing and directing this masterpiece.
duckhostFeb 18, 2019
When I first heard of Roma I thought it was going to be just another oscar bait and a boring movie, I was far from wrong. This movie is great especially the photography that Cuarón did. First of all Cleo is a great protagonist, this movieWhen I first heard of Roma I thought it was going to be just another oscar bait and a boring movie, I was far from wrong. This movie is great especially the photography that Cuarón did. First of all Cleo is a great protagonist, this movie just deals with the contemporary lives of the family she is there as a maid to witness it. The movie starts a little slow but when Cleo discovers that she is pregnant the movie starts to pick up the pace and just scene after scene is a wonder to behold. There is a scene during a protest that is just a marvelous thing to behold, there are dozens of extras on multiple biuldings and streets but the scene just comes out so good that you just keep thinking: ''How the **** did so many people ended up doing this and not a single mistake?''. The final moments of the movie are so great and something happens with Cleo that you cry with her. Cuarón did a good job telling his childhood stories, this movies just tell the story of a common family and you can relate to them, hell even I did. This is my favourite for the best movie category and the best movie that I saw from 2018. Expand