Universal Pictures | Release Date: August 13, 2010
Watch Now
Watch Now
Buy on
Billyliar87Aug 13, 2010
Absolutely fantastic! There is a reason I believe that Edgar Wright is THE best film director we have today, and SPvTW adds to it. Wright fully captured the essence of the gamer/gen-Y crowd and the modern teen comedy. Creativity oozes outAbsolutely fantastic! There is a reason I believe that Edgar Wright is THE best film director we have today, and SPvTW adds to it. Wright fully captured the essence of the gamer/gen-Y crowd and the modern teen comedy. Creativity oozes out of it. It's a movie that isn't afraid to not take itself seriously. I can definitely see how a critic or viewer would give it a low score, because they just don't get it. It doesn't interest them. It's ok! It won my heart. I smiled the whole time. If you love games, subtle humor, any of Edgar Wrights past films, teen comedies, or fresh ideas...Go see this film! Expand
nutterjrMay 2, 2011
Truly imaginative direction, funny and quirky dialogues and if it was not for the over the top ending it would be a brilliant film indeed. Great casting and music add to the attraction of the final product.
Lord_AngeluzJul 26, 2014
Honestly, I've seen this movie about fifteen times, and every time I see it I find a lot of Easter eggs, as if playing a video game, this movie has comedy, love, action, a great script and the most beautiful soundtrack I've heard in my life,Honestly, I've seen this movie about fifteen times, and every time I see it I find a lot of Easter eggs, as if playing a video game, this movie has comedy, love, action, a great script and the most beautiful soundtrack I've heard in my life, this film does not deserve a 10, deserve a 100 worth of 10. Expand
chem64Jan 23, 2014
I absolutely love this movie. The story is amazing, and can be loved by anyone ages 14-30 (and older), and the couldn't of picked better actors to play the characters from the books. Highly recommended.
hystrixAug 7, 2014
This movie is a perfect example of a movie which isn't made for the masses. All the references towards old-skool arcade games, comic books etc. make this movie hard to watch for people not into that scene or who didn't grew up about 15 yearsThis movie is a perfect example of a movie which isn't made for the masses. All the references towards old-skool arcade games, comic books etc. make this movie hard to watch for people not into that scene or who didn't grew up about 15 years ago.
Usually i'm sceptical if it's about comic book adaptations, unless it's Marvel/DC Comics, because most of the time the movies try to be to Hollywood like. Not this movie. Wright managed to keep every important piece of the comic and turned it into a perfect movie.

The only reason i'm not giving it a 10, is that although i find it a masterpiece, I understand if the common teenager or adult don't get the references etc. without them the movie is probably just a mere meh (5).
AproxxAug 8, 2018
The editing is Insane. The visuals (creativity, production, execution) is Insane.
...........
...........
The rest starts pretty awsome. The jokes land and are funny. Then its starts a loop of the same type of jokes, 8 minutes beats (more or less) of EXACTLY THE SAME SEQUENCES!

It oh boy that ended up boring me...

Soooooo... If you can laugh (or chuckle) at the same jokes over and over and over (quick edit) and over and over and over... You are going to LOVE IT. Because its really well done.

It might not be my kind of movie. Im literally writing this at 1.37.00 in the Netflix timeline. I just couldn't really finish the movie! Probably my fault (quick edit)
The3AcademySinsFeb 14, 2020
I remember how big the Scott Pilgrim series was, and how well it captured the early 2000s nerd zeitgeist. I remember how popular this movie was, and how it was viewed as such a great springboard into the graphic novels. I also remember howI remember how big the Scott Pilgrim series was, and how well it captured the early 2000s nerd zeitgeist. I remember how popular this movie was, and how it was viewed as such a great springboard into the graphic novels. I also remember how Scott Pilgrim underwent a critical re-evaluation where everyone distanced themselves from the franchise as a result the manic-pixie-dream-girl archetype coming under well deserved scrutiny. Ramona Flowers is the peak manic-pixie-dream-girl and you're lying to yourself if she's not. People argued that this movie romanticized the toxic behavior of putting someone on a pedestal, and people really straight up abandoned Scott Pilgrim over this. They may have been right.

Now that the critical controversy has died down, does this movie hold up?

I think it does. Its ironic because the whole movie is about Scott learning to NOT put Ramona on a pedestal and to actually treat her as a person. The movie is funny and heartfelt. The effects, performances, and gags are great. Edgar Wright really elevated this movie into something great. Definitely check this one out.
amheretojudgeMar 31, 2018
did you make some of those up..

Scott Pilgrim VS. The World It not only takes guts to pull off such a petty and amusing concept to this extent but also skills on executing the tale, eerie world and portraying the amusing characters whilst
did you make some of those up..

Scott Pilgrim VS. The World

It not only takes guts to pull off such a petty and amusing concept to this extent but also skills on executing the tale, eerie world and portraying the amusing characters whilst connecting with the audience. Edgar Wright is in his A game and there won't be an inch of doubt after one leaves the room for he has got you right where he wants and that is on the edge of the seat. Although Michael Cera is hilarious the supporting cast like Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza and some other cameos overpowers him on screen. Scott Pilgrim VS. The World is hilarious in its tone with witty writing that has smart comic sketches, rich funny details and amusing character that blends into a whole pack of entertainment.
DontSep 6, 2013
The visual novel that this movie originates from tells a witty, quirky, engaging coming of age story. What it was made out to be, however is a romantic comedy action flick. If you expect(ed) more from this film, do yourself a favor and watchThe visual novel that this movie originates from tells a witty, quirky, engaging coming of age story. What it was made out to be, however is a romantic comedy action flick. If you expect(ed) more from this film, do yourself a favor and watch the Scott Pilgrim vs. the Animation (it's four minutes long), and if you've liked it, just read the novel instead. Expand
J-ShapAug 28, 2011
Scott Pilgrim succeeds where Kick-Ass failed. Yes they share the same wink-and-a-nod style of humor. Yes, they both push effect to ridiculous extremes. Yes, they both try way too hard. But what Scott Pilgrim has is a corny thing to root it inScott Pilgrim succeeds where Kick-Ass failed. Yes they share the same wink-and-a-nod style of humor. Yes, they both push effect to ridiculous extremes. Yes, they both try way too hard. But what Scott Pilgrim has is a corny thing to root it in the hearts if its audience: love. Love for every cheesy moment of nerdy quirks that it celebrates, and love for its own characters and dickish protagonist. Where Kick-Ass mocked itself while still trying to appeal to those who wanted it to celebrate what it was. Scott Pilgrim is in love with itself and all those who love it in return. Technically, that would make it smug, but when a film can honestly say the line "Once you were a ve-gone, but now you will be gone" do you even want to complain about that. Expand
Christian0205Mar 30, 2014
One of my favorite films. Full of energy, visuals, black humor, white humor. Video Game turned into a movie. Great soundtrack. Anti-hero movie favorite.
clem666Jan 10, 2021
I rarely saw so much benevolence for gamers in a movie. We need more movies like this one. Without being directly about video gaming it compiles an impressive number of winks and easter eggs for players. It is so open-minded. 'Scott Pilgrim'I rarely saw so much benevolence for gamers in a movie. We need more movies like this one. Without being directly about video gaming it compiles an impressive number of winks and easter eggs for players. It is so open-minded. 'Scott Pilgrim' includes gay people, women with a deep role, a shy hero and a diverse cast. This surely was a risky shot for director Edgar Wright. But I see it ended up getting the reviews and recognition he truly deserves. Scenario is intriguing and firstly unpredictable. But once the main subject is launched the course of events and ending become way more predictable. The very end hopefully remains a true surprise. Overall pace of the movie is really weird. Important things sometimes happen very (too?) fast while insignificant things are highlighted for a long time and intensely. Staging is awesome with all these video games and cartoonesque style. Special effects are decent even for these days.

Jokes are huh... Numerous? Don't get me wrong: there are so many jokes that it is impossible to be all bad ones. So yes, some are truly funny while some others are an ocean of flatness and ease. It is hard sometimes to dissociate true and effective things in the movie and what is here to make us laugh and/or getting triggered.

Main character (Scott) was quite hard for me to understand and truly appreciate. He certainly shows some interesting progress all along the movie but his inconsistency and raintery made me hate him too. It is hard to understand what he really wants in his life. It goes the same way for Knives who is wounded then wants revenge and then forgives everything. Ramona surely is an interesting character but doesn't fail to also show some inconsistency and strange weaknesses.

(Bonus for the iconic scene at the end brilliantly used as a major sample in Kid Cudi's last album on 'She Knows This'! *What if I want the satisfaction?*)
WhomstamiJan 12, 2021
This movie may not be a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel series, but the writing and acting are on point (especially from Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and especially Kieran Culkin), the story is fun, and the special effectsThis movie may not be a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel series, but the writing and acting are on point (especially from Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and especially Kieran Culkin), the story is fun, and the special effects are that special kind of cheese that somehow makes it even better despite being kind of bad. Expand
OlavLDec 26, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why doesn't everyone love this movie? It is my second favourite Wright movie, and it is so good. Although it might not live up to the cornetto trilogy, and even on a bad day Baby driver, it is still amazing. The cast is hilarious, Kieran Culkin being an especially funny addition. The cinematography is spectacular, blending the real world and the dreams inside Scott's head together in such a way so amazing that it is hard to believe. Some of the effects may have aged poorly in retrospect, but the majority of them are still very impressive. What many point to as the biggest problem is that it lacks the same heart that made the graphic novels it was based on so popular. And although the novels may have a better and more experimental story, the movie makes up for this by not only being more funny than the novels ever were, but also giving off the impression this all might just be one person heavily altered perspective on the world around him. The ending might be a little muddled, probably owing to the somewhat rushed production, but the impression I left the theatre with wasn't on of regret over what the movie might have been, but rather one of happiness over such an hilarious and heartwarming and awesome story could even exist in the medium of Hollywood film. This was a completely transcendent experience, one that I will have many times in the future as well. Expand
hyacinth2Dec 14, 2020
This is a really good movie. The most rewatchable movie that I know of. Big fan of the visual effects used throughout the film.
Bill_CipherJan 3, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Esse foi o melhor filme que eu ja vi em toda minha vida as musicas são maravilhosas os atores foram escolhidos perfeitamente e da pare ver que o filme foi feito com amor isso e a perfeiçao em forma de filme Expand
AaronMOct 11, 2010
Best surprise of the summer. This movie rocked, and I'm not even a gamer, comic book guy, or a musician. Plain and simple, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was cool, awesome, and creative. Maybe a pre-requisite for this movie is to have seen anyBest surprise of the summer. This movie rocked, and I'm not even a gamer, comic book guy, or a musician. Plain and simple, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was cool, awesome, and creative. Maybe a pre-requisite for this movie is to have seen any other Michael Cera movie. Because seeing this scrawny guy fight and kick butt was a blast! Every battle was quite fun and I was well-entertained. Expand
PhillipzAug 13, 2010
Go watch this, you will not regret it!
It's a fun, refreshing movie based on a fun, refreshing comic series! Great fun, especially if you're below the age of 25!
MarcDoyleAug 14, 2010
Much more watchable than I expected it to be. I thought the director might try to transform Cera in the typical alpha male, but I'm glad that side of him was restricted to the fight scenes. As my pal KK mentioned after the film, unlikeMuch more watchable than I expected it to be. I thought the director might try to transform Cera in the typical alpha male, but I'm glad that side of him was restricted to the fight scenes. As my pal KK mentioned after the film, unlike directors of many action films, Wright made the contests less a "blur" of violence and more a very linear, easy-to-follow experience that is artful and interesting. The women in the film are uniformly excellent - except for Knives - I could have used less of her fawning. And some serious props to Brandon Routh and KIeran Culkin - it would have been a lesser movie without their hilarious performances. Expand
SPfan678Aug 13, 2010
Just amazing. It may not follow the comics perfectly, but SPvTW is truly an epic win. Winning characters, hilarious dialogue, flashy visuals, everything about it is amazing. Thank god they didn't put this in 3D. Otherwise my head wouldJust amazing. It may not follow the comics perfectly, but SPvTW is truly an epic win. Winning characters, hilarious dialogue, flashy visuals, everything about it is amazing. Thank god they didn't put this in 3D. Otherwise my head would explode.
To all the haters, it is meant to be ridiculous and over the top. It's meant to be just silly. The world is one big video game. Accept it. Embrace it. I can't recommend this any more than I already have. If you love comics, video games, and just having a good time watching a movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is the movie for you. K.O.!!!!
leahzeroAug 23, 2010
Anyone seriously criticizing SCOTT PILGRIM for lack of believable romantic development, narrative, etc. is missing the boat. This is neither drama nor comedy--rather, it's an homage to, and riff on, a subculture and a period in time, so heavyAnyone seriously criticizing SCOTT PILGRIM for lack of believable romantic development, narrative, etc. is missing the boat. This is neither drama nor comedy--rather, it's an homage to, and riff on, a subculture and a period in time, so heavy with visual spectacle that it'll make you queasy at the same time you can't stop gorging yourself on it, and topped with a low-calorie sauce of Humor Lite.

Let's be honest: the comic itself isn't much deeper. The shallow romance and goofy plots are mere devices to move characters around and get them riffing on games, music, tech, etc. The film is nostalgia dressed up as social commentary dressed up as a seriocomedy, wrapped up in a nauseatingly gleeful blend of hyperkinetic cinematography and epileptic visual effects.
pianomanrd91Aug 13, 2010
Holy crap this was amazing. Completely aimed towards hipsters and comic/video-game nerds, but anyone could watch it and have a great time. The crowd was great opening night... laughed with everything and just fun to be around. If you haventHoly crap this was amazing. Completely aimed towards hipsters and comic/video-game nerds, but anyone could watch it and have a great time. The crowd was great opening night... laughed with everything and just fun to be around. If you havent seen this movie yet, read the comics then GO SEE IT NAO. Expand
RyanGeeSep 28, 2010
Whenever Michael Cera is in a movie, there is always a connection between the Independent world and mainstream media. In other words, Cera usually stars in movies with an "Indie" theme but is geared towards the general audience (i.e Nick AndWhenever Michael Cera is in a movie, there is always a connection between the Independent world and mainstream media. In other words, Cera usually stars in movies with an "Indie" theme but is geared towards the general audience (i.e Nick And Norah, Juno). In this case, Edgard Wright's (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz) Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World explores the world of pop culture using a combination of video games and indie rock.

Scott Pilgrim is an adaptation of the obscurely-known comic book series of the same name. Pilgrim, the bassist of the fictitious band Sex Bomb-omb, is a somewhat socially awkward Canadian that always finds himself in a bad relationship. He later meets a dead-pan hipster named Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and soon dates her. But before Pilgrim can continue to date the mysterious girl, he must defeat her seven-evil exes in glamorous video game-like sequences.

The aspect that makes this movie stand out is its beautiful and clever art direction. Edgar Wright, who is famous for multiple cult hits, directs a film that thoroughly emulates the feel of a comic book/video game. From the apparent onomatopoeias to the video game life bars, the audience gets the feeling that they are watching something truly unique.

The other main characteristic that makes this film work is, as stated earlier, its countless references to pop culture and the Independent-music genre. With music composed by alt-rocker Beck, Canadian band Broken Social Scene, and Metric, this music is stuffed with Indie goodness that will make a hipster smile in their plaid cardigan and wayfarers (Small easter egg: Pilgrim's roommate was reading a fake newspaper with a Neko Case advertisement in it. This is totally irrelevant but it made me smile). It also occasionally ridicules the subculture in a friendly joking manner poking fun at veganism, "mainstream" labels, and common memes ("The first album was so much better than the first first album"). It also obviously succeeds in channeling the video game world with its boss battles and the occasional Zelda reference.

While all this said, the film is far from perfect. The concept of the boss battle gets stale quick; What is amusing at first becomes repetitive and dull. The number of exes, although accurate to the comic book series, is just too much to handle in two hours that it made me wish the final battle would happen twenty minutes earlier. Additionally, the battles are equally immense so its hard to discern that Cera's character is conquering anything significant. The film has a run-time of 112 minutes, and it lost its steam at the three quarter mark. What also is flawed is that the movie is simply brainless and does not have much substance. While I do not expect a movie called Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World to be much of a thought provoker, I just thought that it was too silly for its own good. With an outlandish amount of slapstick humor, it was really hard to see this movie as more than a summer movie.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is a blast. It is filled with so much action and humor that it is definitely worth the price of admission for music and video game lovers alike. There is no doubt that it will become a cult hit just as Edgard Wright's other movies have. But with its lack of substance and excessive silliness, it is disappointing that the movie could have been so much more than a fun two hours to spend.
potatoes351Apr 1, 2012
As a massive fan of the graphic novel series I couldn't wait to watch Scott Pilgrim. Not to mention I love Edgar Wright as a director however no matter how much i love the film it has its major shortfalls. The biggest problem I found was thatAs a massive fan of the graphic novel series I couldn't wait to watch Scott Pilgrim. Not to mention I love Edgar Wright as a director however no matter how much i love the film it has its major shortfalls. The biggest problem I found was that all 6 books have been crammed into one 2 hour film meaning a lot of detail has been cut out, some of the story had been changed to fit in with the cutting out of content which I felt was wrong and it was all over too quickly. I could not think of a better Scott than Michael or a better Ramona than Mary, the rest of the cast was excellent and great acting. Unmissable but not as good as the books Expand
DeVr33zDec 24, 2010
Pretty awesome stuff. Scott Pilgrim had a lot of heart, humor and kick-ass fight scenes. The final battle seemed to go on longer than it should have, but otherwise the pacing was great. Also, Scott's gay roommate was one of the funniest andPretty awesome stuff. Scott Pilgrim had a lot of heart, humor and kick-ass fight scenes. The final battle seemed to go on longer than it should have, but otherwise the pacing was great. Also, Scott's gay roommate was one of the funniest and most charming new characters I've seen in the movies recently. But the other characters are good too. Overall a great movie. Expand
KundKOct 31, 2010
I haven't read the comics and had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised with this funny, original, hyper-kinetic, innovative, game-like and hipster/nerd-friendly movie. Like "Crank" and "Shoot 'em Up" did for action movies,I haven't read the comics and had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised with this funny, original, hyper-kinetic, innovative, game-like and hipster/nerd-friendly movie. Like "Crank" and "Shoot 'em Up" did for action movies, this one sets a high standard for all upcoming indie/geek comedies. Pure pleasure. Expand
FitriAmirrolNov 19, 2010
A thrill ride from start to finish. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is an inventive, colorful, wild hybrid of various elements, with rocking performances by literally all its players. It's new and will definitely scare some tight-minded viewers away.
tyler_hessAug 14, 2010
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was flat-out hilarious. The only place it looses points is with a touch of somewhat redundant humor and the stagnant flow of the plot in the latter half of the movie. However, I think most shortcomings are made-upScott Pilgrim vs. the World was flat-out hilarious. The only place it looses points is with a touch of somewhat redundant humor and the stagnant flow of the plot in the latter half of the movie. However, I think most shortcomings are made-up with the original and artistic depiction of Scott Pilgrim that stays true to its comic roots. I would definitely recommend seeing the film, especially if you enjoyed Hot Fuzz or Sean of the Dead. Expand
Maciech42Aug 16, 2010
Other than feeling a little rushed in some areas, Scott Pilgrim proves to be one of the summer's best films and a great ride. Get your butt in that theater!
KarthXLRSep 3, 2010
Let me put this lightly: if you were born and raised on video games, or are even familiar with games like Zelda, Street Fighter, and Mario, you will enjoy, if not love, this film. The fast paced editing wrapped around the surprisingly goodLet me put this lightly: if you were born and raised on video games, or are even familiar with games like Zelda, Street Fighter, and Mario, you will enjoy, if not love, this film. The fast paced editing wrapped around the surprisingly good performance by Micheal Cera, supported by a great cast and excellent music make this a great watch. Expand
Bigboy1138Sep 13, 2010
"Scott Pilgrim" had such promise, the hopes and dreams and of comic geeks and video game nerds (such as myself) wanted it to be awesome. What was given to us was a film that starts off extremely slow, is fraught with awkward acting, and"Scott Pilgrim" had such promise, the hopes and dreams and of comic geeks and video game nerds (such as myself) wanted it to be awesome. What was given to us was a film that starts off extremely slow, is fraught with awkward acting, and wallows around in a plot-less daze for the first half. Thankfully it picks up in the end with some very juicy actions scenes, and well placed references to gaming pop culture. The ending seemed a bit artificially attached on to make way for sequel turf, but overall, a good friday movie. Expand
kewlgaynerdSep 12, 2010
Not only is this movie fantastic, epic, and awesome, it is everything else you can possibly imagine being a nerd in a generation filled with texters/internet junkies/video gamers, and just nerds in general. Anyone who always wished thatNot only is this movie fantastic, epic, and awesome, it is everything else you can possibly imagine being a nerd in a generation filled with texters/internet junkies/video gamers, and just nerds in general. Anyone who always wished that movies were more like video games, well here it is folks. In pristine form. Not only is the movie consistently funny and hipster-approved, it is also something that will set the bar for new movies aimed at gamers. Some people didn't like it sure, because they didn't get it or whatever. But who cares about those squares. This movie rocked. Period Expand
dubstepbreaksDec 28, 2010
Really an excellent movie. If you grew up in the 90's this movie probably carries a lot more meaning and humor, but I can see this appealing to anyone. You can't really pin the label comedy on it either, the movie really contains humor,Really an excellent movie. If you grew up in the 90's this movie probably carries a lot more meaning and humor, but I can see this appealing to anyone. You can't really pin the label comedy on it either, the movie really contains humor, drama, and action. The video game theme really ties the whole movie together, it moves fast, its really flashy, you can really sympathize with the characters, and by the end you feel like you've gained something. Very few films 2000-2010 are this inventive and break the mold as much as this film did. This is the first movie i've genuinely enjoyed A LOT in a year or so. highly recommend to anyone Expand
drlowdonApr 22, 2014
Scott Pilgrim was certainly entertaining in parts but I couldn't help coming away a little disappointed, particularly since I also recently watched the excellent 'Kick-Ass'. Although this film has a similar comic book style it did not haveScott Pilgrim was certainly entertaining in parts but I couldn't help coming away a little disappointed, particularly since I also recently watched the excellent 'Kick-Ass'. Although this film has a similar comic book style it did not have the same level of humour, despite the many pop-culture references, and the action scenes certainly did not match the best that film had to offer (such as Big Daddy fighting through the warehouse).

Overall your enjoyment of the film will depend on how bigger fan you are of popular culture and video games in particular.
hyperwantAug 13, 2010
First things first, it was Not a cut and paste of the books.
It was as funny, as innovative, as lovable, as heartfelt, and as humble as the books.
First things first, it was Not a cut and paste of the books.
My favorite part of the books though, was that they were just really fun. I felt a smile on my face while I read it.
The movie version doesn't lose that.

This movie acknowledges the Nintendo Generation like no movie ever has.
Some characters are far gayer (weird, I expected to see a red line under that word), and some characters are far less.
Some lost face time and others gained, but I can't think of a single Book-to-Movie edit that was a bad call. (considering they had to cut about 75% of all character development/back stories)

It feels inappropriate to use the same old words and phrases to praise a movie that was slathered with completely new things I've never seen in a movie or script. I owe Edgar Wright and Brian Lee O'Malley an attempt though.

-Any one scene from this movie could be viral on YouTube on its own.
-My 'Love the Movie' to 'Hate the Wait til DVD' Ratio is equal at â
DarkCriticAug 13, 2010
The movie is a mind-f#$%ed world that it looks like a video game! Scott Pilgram Vs. The World is an entertaining movie that shows action with great stunts that the character is fighting like a champion to face against all people that refer toThe movie is a mind-f#$%ed world that it looks like a video game! Scott Pilgram Vs. The World is an entertaining movie that shows action with great stunts that the character is fighting like a champion to face against all people that refer to Mario from "Super Mario Bros" and Link from "The Legend of Zelda. Michael Cera did great as a character named Scott Pilgram and he's more funny in many other films. The characters are so interesting,I really love Mary Elizabeth playing as a hot girl with different colors in her hair named Ramona Victoria Flowers and she did a good role. So does the other characters and I like the way they acted like their in a video game to face against Scott Pilgram. It has alot of joustings everywhere in scenes,where Scottt is fighting a villian with jump shots and facing each other. The vissual effects are very interesting and more updating around the place and it has funny words and subtitles in the movie like that. So I hope that you will enjoy this movie,it's very good,very funny,and the movie has a good perspective based on the comic book for the fans. Enjoy this movie and it's a mindless fun and push the start button to play as Scott Pilgram and begin!!! Expand
Bullet97Aug 13, 2010
I am about to list words that describe this movie. Amazing, revolutionary, groundbreaking, mind-blowing, creative, original, action-packed and hilarious!! I saw it at a midnight showing, and my entire world was changed!! The tagline's "AnI am about to list words that describe this movie. Amazing, revolutionary, groundbreaking, mind-blowing, creative, original, action-packed and hilarious!! I saw it at a midnight showing, and my entire world was changed!! The tagline's "An epic of epic epicness." I'm here to say that the tagline doesn't lie. The haters may think that its random and stupid!! Well, you people are wrong! Edgar Wright is an amazing director!! From the very beginning with the Universal logo turned 80s video game, to the final battle, this movie is endlessly engaging, extrememly original, and so freaking funny!! Michael Cera usually plays an insecure little nerd. Here, he plays a butt-kicking video game addict!! Mary's is perfect as the mysterious but sexy Ramona Flowers. Kieran Culkin steals every scene he's in as Scott's hilarious gay roommate who always wakes up with one or more dudes in his bed. Ellen Wong's great as Scott's stalking 17 year-old exgirlfriend. The exes, especially Lucas Lee, Matthew Patel, Todd Ingram, and Gideon are great!!Anna Kendrick, the members of Sex-Bob-Omb, and everyone else is pretty good, too. And that was just the cast!! The dialouge is very clever and freaking hilarious!! Also, the film is brilliantly directed by the great Edgar Wright, who showed us with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz that he could direct some neat scenes, proves with this movie that he should be up there with George Lucas and Zack Synder. The video game battles are exciting and thrilling!! The video game references are cool, too. An honorable mention goes to the choreographer, Bill Pope, who along with the great work he did on this, also did the Matrix movies, the Spiderman movies, and some Jackie Chan movies. The bottom line is, this movie is unlike anything ever made!! Action-packed, hilarious, and with a good heart, you'd be a fool to miss this movie!!! Expand
DBalAug 19, 2010
Quite possibly the best comic book to film adaptation made so far. The differences between the comics and the movie are perfect across each medium to the effect that both are similar yet independent experiences of each other. Most charactersQuite possibly the best comic book to film adaptation made so far. The differences between the comics and the movie are perfect across each medium to the effect that both are similar yet independent experiences of each other. Most characters were well cast, though some supporting characters were not as well performed by the actors as the main cast. This is a movie I will enjoy over and over again. Expand
RaphaelAug 13, 2010
Fantastic fun. So long as you like to have a good time, you should. Bring some friends, grab some icees, and enjoy the show. Seriously, this is a silly movie. Don't have your head in your ass, just go to have a good time and watch Scott kickFantastic fun. So long as you like to have a good time, you should. Bring some friends, grab some icees, and enjoy the show. Seriously, this is a silly movie. Don't have your head in your ass, just go to have a good time and watch Scott kick some evil ex-boyfriend/girlfriend ass. Expand
opennoiseAug 14, 2010
Movie pretty much was better and much different than i expected. It helps that it doesn't try to be anything more than entertaining and visually-stunning, which it most certainly is
shinhitoAug 16, 2010
A fantastic adaptation and a great film that can be appreciated outside its painfully indie-comic source material. Brilliant and inventive visuals, well designed sets, an ace script, and impeccable cast makes the manic pop-culture mayhem goA fantastic adaptation and a great film that can be appreciated outside its painfully indie-comic source material. Brilliant and inventive visuals, well designed sets, an ace script, and impeccable cast makes the manic pop-culture mayhem go down easily for anyone who didn't know that Pac-Man's name was changed from Puck-Man. It's wonderful to see a film that is comfortable in its own skin and then delivers such unique virtuoso entertainment that multiplies upon repeated viewings. Expand
MenekisAug 16, 2010
one of the best movie I saw in years! very original and fun. But for my suggestion is to read the books before going see the movie. I went with one of my friend that didn't read the book and I think I was more enjoyed than he was , and heone of the best movie I saw in years! very original and fun. But for my suggestion is to read the books before going see the movie. I went with one of my friend that didn't read the book and I think I was more enjoyed than he was , and he was! The only problem is that this movie is not for everyone, you have to be a little geek to understand all the jokes and I'm probably sure that my parents wouldn't like this movie. The visuals effects are amazing and all i have to say is they made a great adaptation. Expand
valiantpacifistAug 18, 2010
An amazing film with ingenious creativity. This movie simply transcends the videogame/comic genre and creates a utopian vision of cinematic brilliance. It is extremely visceral to watch and is idiosyncratic in its humor. It is like no otherAn amazing film with ingenious creativity. This movie simply transcends the videogame/comic genre and creates a utopian vision of cinematic brilliance. It is extremely visceral to watch and is idiosyncratic in its humor. It is like no other film and revolutionizes what a film can consist of. It is somewhat reminiscent of Inception due to it somewhat abstract concepts. Great film. Expand
DylanBarclayAug 23, 2010
Amazing! By far one of the best movies i have seen all year! The cast is perfect and the game-style action keeps you active and roaring for more. I was expecting a less than great film but what i got was totally unexpected. It is for aAmazing! By far one of the best movies i have seen all year! The cast is perfect and the game-style action keeps you active and roaring for more. I was expecting a less than great film but what i got was totally unexpected. It is for a younger crowd (don't take your mother) as it has more modern humour. This is not a usual movie format (videogame) but i believe that Edgar Wright has aced this movie. A must see! Expand
mrcriticNov 13, 2010
A fun time for everyone, and it will bring back old video game and comic book memories for adults. A hilarious film that may end on a low note, but the movie itself is a huge high note!
JamesNWAFeb 6, 2011
Edgar Wright was already one of my favourite directors after being responsible for Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. He has established himself further into the good books with Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I knew as soon as I saw the 8-bitEdgar Wright was already one of my favourite directors after being responsible for Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. He has established himself further into the good books with Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I knew as soon as I saw the 8-bit version of the Universal Pictures logo that this would be an awesome film. Michael Cera was the ideal person to cast as Scott Pilgrim in my opinion. He didn't come across as somebody he is not and the dominant side of his personality only came out in the fight scenes and that is how it should have been. The editing and the motion graphics/special effects were amazing and added a lot to the film. The opening titles were representative of what the movie was going to be like and it didn't disappoint. It's original, creative and most importantly humorous. There are many ways you can read into the film in regards to the theme and message it is trying to get across but it is, to me, about the extent an innocent geeky teen male will go to, to get the girl of his dreams. Ramona Flowers was hot too, even if she didn't seem to care too much about Scott throughout.

Overall, this is a film which blew me away and it will take a lot to top it. Edgar Wright - take a bow.
roddersj04Jan 1, 2011
I'll admit, I didn't like the idea of Michael Cera in a lead role. He plays the nervous, kinda-wimpy role in each of his films, and thats good as like a sidekick, or a co star, but didn't think he could pull it off. Then came Scott PilgrimI'll admit, I didn't like the idea of Michael Cera in a lead role. He plays the nervous, kinda-wimpy role in each of his films, and thats good as like a sidekick, or a co star, but didn't think he could pull it off. Then came Scott Pilgrim I'll spare any plot explinations, as you probably know of this already, and get straight to the reviewing. The video game references are lined throughtout the film, from the 8-bit Universal logo to the defeated villians turning into coins. This film proudly shows its roots, along with animated sequences that look like they've come straight out of the comic book. The evil exes are quite formidable foes, but Lucas Lee has to be the best one, purely because of Chris Evans' portrayal (can't wait to see his Captain America) its a shame Lee isn't on for longer, cause every sentance that escapes his mouth is a riot, but he wasn't on for much longer in the comic, so it fits perfectly. We gotta give a big hand to the supporting characters. Knives Chau's obsession over Scott doesn't border onto annoying, and she goes to great lengths to win back Scott, even (failingly) dying her hair Ramona blue. Kieran Culkins character has to be my favourite character of the entire film, from his texting of Scotts life to his sister, to his coming onto the sisters boyfriend, he cannot go through an entire scene without brightening it up or spouting a funny comment (especially at Sex Bob-Ombs rival band) Gideon Graves is quite the formidable villain, I won't spoil the evil things he does but they fit when this film is setting him up to be the final boss. The fight scenes are brilliantly done (especially with Swords involved), the character moments are sweet, the humour is pitch-perfect, the characters are fantastic, and the evil exes are quite menacing. Scott and Ramonas romance is so lovely. Here, it seems to be a mere fling of the moment, while in the books its more of a serious relationship, and yes, parts have been sacrificed but i think Edgar Wright chose wisely. Kudos to Scott Pilgrim VS The World, and of course to Michael Cera, a great choice for the lead Expand
skanteaDec 28, 2010
I don't have televisions so I missed the hype. I haven't read a comic book in fifteen years and (unfortunately) both my thumbs tend to lock up from previous injuries so video games aren't a part of my life (except for online poker andI don't have televisions so I missed the hype. I haven't read a comic book in fifteen years and (unfortunately) both my thumbs tend to lock up from previous injuries so video games aren't a part of my life (except for online poker and scrabble). All that said, I thought this movie was adorable and technically proficient. The only real question should be how effective is it in the film medium to consistently and irreverently poke holes in the fourth wall (look it up if you must). Not many films can pull this off without stealing the energy out of a scene, and even fewer can do it and add multiple levels of texture and charm. This film is NOT an exercise in depth, it's the opposite. It's an experiment in the relative unimportance of all thing pop culture. Here no one is trying to figure out anything or learn something new, it's just an internally laconic, externally hyper active cycling through the the various digital entertainment streams which construct the world through which young people attempt to relate to each other. It's channel surfing, while gaming, while IMing, while occasionally replying to the voice coming from your ear bud.
This new generation is detachedly aware that everything is fake (the media, politics, old people's advice), and that a relaxed approach to hedonism works just as well as anything else. I personally didn't give up on idealism until I turned thirty, but I suspect many young people have never seen the point of it to begin with. To them it's something akin to the flu, eventually you get over it.
s this a good thing? Probably so. Sure, they embrace fairy tales, but only in so far as it relieves boredom. What will inevitably comes next is a more mature understanding of people and the world at a younger age than their predecessors.
Scott Pilgrim ends the film not much different than he began, the experience not much more than finishing the final level of a video game. He may have gained more information about the people he's met, and perhaps even how that affects his moods, but in the end it's all just some stuff that happened, so, whatev.
ZorglyFeb 25, 2011
Creative, witty, and visually striking. Scott Pilgrim is a blast to watch and I picked up even more subtle jokes and pop culture references hiding within scenery in the second viewing. Maybe the best comedy of 2010?
MrC3030Feb 2, 2011
This was a visually amazing film, and considering that this film is based on a 2D video game, I have to say I was very impressed by the storyline. The acting was just ok ,but I enjoy all the different characters and their abilities. GreatThis was a visually amazing film, and considering that this film is based on a 2D video game, I have to say I was very impressed by the storyline. The acting was just ok ,but I enjoy all the different characters and their abilities. Great film!!!
Acting: OK
Storyline: Great
Characters: Great
Dylanmc12Mar 3, 2011
Funny everywhere. But Cera is a bit of a bore sometimes, other than that I pissed myself of laughter just simply watching this movie.
I don't know why people hate this so much. I see people flamign it on Pirate Bay. Well I wanna tell 'em bastard's they got it free.
VerdugoAug 20, 2012
Just a charming, funny and quite awesome Movie about a nerdy guy fighting for the girl of his dreams. Transporting an important message about the fight of life.
worleyjamersDec 8, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow! What a great movie. Comedies like these tend to not settle well for me, so I was very skeptical about this one. I gave it a shot and it did not disappoint. I absolutely loved this film! A smart, unique film that cannot be missed. I love the way the video game sounds and comic book images were incorporated. It truly sets this film apart. I must mention the dialogue; a great script with perfect lines at the right time. So hilarious! "You punched my boob....prepare to die, obviously," "You made me swallow my gum. That's going to be in my digestive tract for 7 years." At times, the clever, bizarre, quirkiness of this film left me in a state of confusion as to whether or not what I was watching was literal. However, in this particular film, the confusion is part of the joy of watching. It's oddity is so brilliantly executed that the seemingly ridiculous story makes for a very good film. I absolutely loved it! Expand
Longbottom94Apr 25, 2013
One of the most unique and entertaining visual experiences I have seen. Edgar Wright adds yet another fantastic movie to his ever impressive filmography.
PhantasmalAug 13, 2010
Amazing film. I went to see the midnight showing with about 16 friends and not one of us left the theatre disappointed. It truly is a fun movie, so much so that I don't think there was a single part during which I was not smiling. Granted,Amazing film. I went to see the midnight showing with about 16 friends and not one of us left the theatre disappointed. It truly is a fun movie, so much so that I don't think there was a single part during which I was not smiling. Granted, there are some minimal things that one should consider. This movie is NOT for everyone. Edgar Wright clearly made this film with a target audience in mind; but that's okay. If you go in with an open mind and expect to have a good time, you should be pleased. I stress the fact that some people may not like this movie; those who are not in sync with their inner geek or are under the age of 25 (it's an incredibly fun movie, you don't necessarily have to be a geek or hipster to enjoy it!) will probably find it best to spend $10 watching something else. As others have said, if you're a fan of Wright's older work this should be up to par if not better. I have no doubts that this film will be a cult hit in the years to come. The actors are great, the music is fun, and the fight scenes are pretty epic. 15/10, can't wait to watch it again. Expand
GraniteAug 13, 2010
So clever. So funny. So perfect. Edgar Wright understood the comic and captured its sweetness, nothingness and meaningfulness in the movie. I loved the mix-in of comic book panels. Michael Cera pulls it off. Kieren Culkan stands out as Wallace.
insanitycheck_1Aug 18, 2010
Absolutely fantastic! There is a reason I believe that Edgar Wright is THE best film director we have today, and SPvTW adds to it. Wright fully captured the essence of the gamer/gen-Y crowd and the modern teen comedy. Creativity oozes out ofAbsolutely fantastic! There is a reason I believe that Edgar Wright is THE best film director we have today, and SPvTW adds to it. Wright fully captured the essence of the gamer/gen-Y crowd and the modern teen comedy. Creativity oozes out of it. It's a movie that isn't afraid to not take itself seriously. I can de Expand
DanielAug 17, 2010
Very original and lots of fun. I've been incredibly disappointed by the movies of 2010; it's been a bad year for movies. This one doesn't redeem the entire year, but it helps a lot.
MyNameIsNobodyAug 19, 2010
A brilliant film that uses comic book and video-game logic to make even the most tired themes fresh and palatable. Though filled to the brim with obscure video-game references and Canadiana, the movie has enough sight-gags and charmingA brilliant film that uses comic book and video-game logic to make even the most tired themes fresh and palatable. Though filled to the brim with obscure video-game references and Canadiana, the movie has enough sight-gags and charming characters to keep all but the most closed-minded from being alienated. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 21, 2011
"Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" is ridiculous and unpredictable. That's why I loved it.
HarbingerAug 13, 2010
It had a amazing, stylish and unique presentation coupled with a great cast, light-hearted comedy and romance, which is topped off by over-the-top kinetic action sequences. It was a throughly enjoyable experience. A very good and fun movie.
ballinbeastautoAug 20, 2010
The movie was certainly enjoyable. It kept a very fast pace, and kept the watcher very involved. However, the jokes rarely hit, and the plot started to drag towards the middle. The movie seemed to struggle to find ways for pilgrim to defeatThe movie was certainly enjoyable. It kept a very fast pace, and kept the watcher very involved. However, the jokes rarely hit, and the plot started to drag towards the middle. The movie seemed to struggle to find ways for pilgrim to defeat each successive "ex". I did find that it was a surprisingly creative movie (whether or not that can attributed to the graphic novel is debatable) and the somewhat big name actors, although playing minor roles throughout the movie, did provide the movie with a needed boost when the plot began to thin. I gave this movie a 6 because it was a solid movie going experience that managed to defy the normal constructs of a coming of age romantic comedy. Expand
zoliteAug 24, 2010
First and foremost, if you're not a nerd, don't watch the movie! That being said... You can really tell Director Edgar Wright worked hand in hand with Brian O'Malley on making this movie be as true to the 6 volume graphic novel as humanlyFirst and foremost, if you're not a nerd, don't watch the movie! That being said... You can really tell Director Edgar Wright worked hand in hand with Brian O'Malley on making this movie be as true to the 6 volume graphic novel as humanly possible. Mr. Wright's inherently British style of directing (e.g. Shawn of the Dead etc...) translates wonderfully to an American (read Canadian) movie designed for the Ritalin generation. There is certain something about this movie that gives you the sense that that actors just LOVED doing it. Every Ex battle is brilliantly crafted, visually and aurally stimulating. I know that I personally have seen the movie numerous times and I know I'm not the only person waiting with bated breath for the Blu-Ray release.

TL;DR - If you like video games, comic books and indie rock music, go see this movie!
SonicphotoAug 29, 2010
This movie is quite random because it presents so many themes and it goes at such an incredible speed that is easy to get lost. But the main problem with the film is that it fails to unite the fantasy with the reality. The movie starts withThis movie is quite random because it presents so many themes and it goes at such an incredible speed that is easy to get lost. But the main problem with the film is that it fails to unite the fantasy with the reality. The movie starts with real life normal events until Ramona appears and all this fantasy starts to occur and suddenly Scott becomes powerful with no particular reason. It's not that the idea it presents are fun, they are and the movie definitely offers a lot of comedy. But sometimes it just exaggerates too much out of proportion it's fantasy and forgets that they are still in the real world. Expand
ReReviewOct 27, 2010
If ever there was a fine example of style over substance, look no further than SPvTW. Not that this detracts from the film as an experience, but it does lack the flesh of Wright's previous work. The characters are mostly likeable and wellIf ever there was a fine example of style over substance, look no further than SPvTW. Not that this detracts from the film as an experience, but it does lack the flesh of Wright's previous work. The characters are mostly likeable and well played, although the script is lacking in certain areas. There may be points throughout the films duration when you wonder "Do I care as to this films conclusion?" such is the lack of depth to the storyline, but it still carries great production values and presentation - enough to last the course of one film, at least.

*Best watched - With popcorn in the cinema - a real visual treat, but not an immersive one*
AcropolisNov 28, 2010
It's funny, cute, stylish, nerdy, musical (not a musical, but musical as an adjective), and sometimes surprising. My co-watcher and I loved it. I seemed to laugh at some things she didn't find amusing, but these moments were rare andIt's funny, cute, stylish, nerdy, musical (not a musical, but musical as an adjective), and sometimes surprising. My co-watcher and I loved it. I seemed to laugh at some things she didn't find amusing, but these moments were rare and probably due to my solid grounding in video-game subculture. Other than those few instances, video-game knowledge was not necessary. It's a great movie, although not perfect. I'd definitely see it if I were you, to put it plainly xD we both decided on 8.5, and we're generous, so 9. Expand
hdosorioSep 18, 2011
Best video-game movie ever...Amazing visual style...nice story, good characters, great music. For all of you who enjoy video games, comics and that kind of stuff is a must-see movie, satisfaction guaranteed
moviegSep 30, 2010
Life is a video game, whether you think about it or not. There's always that princess we need to rescue and there are those baddies we need to defeat. And you know, it couldn't have been better said than with "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World"Life is a video game, whether you think about it or not. There's always that princess we need to rescue and there are those baddies we need to defeat. And you know, it couldn't have been better said than with "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" This movie is awesome. Epic, even. (mind the Snagglepuss comment). What I think makes this movie work is that they portray this entire film like a video game, right from the opening "Universal" shot performed in 8-bit. I mean it, they do the music Nintendo style. That I found to be funny. The movie starts off with Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim, even though he's playing him like Michael Cera. I'm not his biggest fan since he's played the same character in every movie from "Superbad" to "Juno". Yet, despite this, this is his best role. He's still the meek geek, but he grows a pair and kicks ass. Anyway, he's the bassist of an indie band called "Sex Bob-omb" (just work with me) who's currently dating a 17-year old high schooler named Knives. However, they put everything in a cross between video-game and comic book aesthetic. Anyway, while they're dating, he meets Ramona, who's sort of an indie Princess Peach. She was a damsel in distress without really being so much as a damsel in distress. Anyway, word goes out that they're going out, and now Scott has to fight her seven ex's, which is used as an implication gag as Michael Cera keeps thinking she meant ex-boyfriends. (Let's just say she was curious.) Anyway, he fights them, and every time they're defeated, they turn into coins and add up points like an arcade game. As the movie goes on, it turns out that Ramona isn't the only person with evil ex's. Scott has some of his own, and they keep coming back to his life. You have a rock queen who sort of looks like Renee Zellweger, a sarcastic ginger who's the drummer in his band, of course Knives (but she's not really evil), and I don't know if she is an ex but the sarcastic girl from "Funny People". But Scott doesn't fight them, he must fight Ramona's, which range from rock stars to ninja queens. My favorite evil ex had to be Chris Evans, who plays a skateboarder-turned-actor. He just played his character in such an awesome light that he even makes him talk like Clint Eastwood. My least favorite is probably the vegan one, who tries to tie not eating more than just meat to being awesome. Yeah, PETA's not high on my list, but oh well. The best part about this whole movie are the video-game style fight scenes. You actually have the Street Fighter "vs." in the middle of the two, and everything is as over the top as a video game. In fact, I saw this movie to be a "Super Mario Street Fighter" sort of thing. Scott had to fight five guys and a girl (much like the Koopas, which also one was female) in a form of Mortal Kombat. Heck, they even did a cat fight like Mortal Kombat with a giant mallet. I'm not joking: Ramona pulls a giant war hammer out of her purse. But my favorite part of the movie also dealt with my least favorite ex: Scott Pilgrim challenges him to a bass battle. YES. A BASS BATTLE. As a bassist, my mind was blown. In fact, the music was also pretty cool. If you were to take away the video game look and feel, it would be a romantic comedy...probably without the comedy. So it'd be like everything else. So kudos to the director for giving us something with which we're familiar and telling it to us in a way we've never heard it. What I didn't like is how incredibly ridiculous certain things were, even for a pseudo-video game. There's this one evil ex who makes a big deal about being a vegan that when he drinks a coffee with half-and-half, two cops of vegans take his powers out of nowhere. Out. of. nowhere. In the end, he faces Bowser: Ramona's evil ex Jason Schwartzman. I won't tell you what happens, but the second chance card gets played like only a video game would. He doesn't have much other than he's the head of a record label, but who cares? He's the final boss. Since I never read the graphic novels, I really don't know much about the source material, but from what I do know it seems like the movie's faithful, so if the novel is as epic as the movie was I'll consider reading it. Bottom line: this film is awesome. It's fun, funny, great editing, cinematography, a bit ridiculous at times, but it's a video game worth playing, and you're always rooting for the hero. Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 6, 2011
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is quite a odd, funny, and likable movie, with references to video games, and likable characters (except Ramona she was annoying), this a great movie with only a few design choices holding it back from all it could be.
ZilcellMay 28, 2012
Its got it all whether its humor, action, and randomness, even a sprinkle of romance. It also makes tons of references to video games. This movie lets you unleash your inner nerd!
DoctorWhoNov 29, 2011
An excellent adventure if not taken seriously. Great acting, catchy songs, hilarious jokes and amazing special effects lift this film into the A-list. I think I just found my new favourite film of all time.
Tss5078Dec 6, 2015
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a film adaptation of one of the most successful teen novels of all time. The story and film have gained an almost cult like following, and I had to see what all the fuse was about. The truth is, that thisScott Pilgrim vs. The World is a film adaptation of one of the most successful teen novels of all time. The story and film have gained an almost cult like following, and I had to see what all the fuse was about. The truth is, that this particular films represents everything that is wrong with our society and youth culture in general. Scott Pilgrim is the kind of guy who likes to label everyone and everything, but worse than that, he rants in circles, using constant innuendos, that only a fourteen year old would understand. The story isn't even that unique or special, as the film moves at lightning speed, which is slightly slower than the speed at which it's star, Michael Cera, delivers his lines. I really felt as though my head was spinning, with a mix of slang and new terminology, that simply didn't make any sense to me. As far as the story goes, it's just another modern love story, featuring a lovable loser in love, which was completely unbelievable. The reason is Michael Cera, who seemingly plays the exact same role in every film. He's this nerdy, uncomfortable guy, trying all these awkward ways to get girls to fall for him, and it never works, possibly because he is one of the most feminine and closeted actors out there today. I generously gave this film 1 star, because I actually did enjoy Scott Pilgrim's band, but aside from that, this film is a complete waste of time. It's star is unbelievable, it's story is overly complicated, and the dialogue is arguably the worst I have ever heard. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World may be your teenage daughters favorite movie, but if you're older than sixteen, you're going to want to skip this one. Expand
imthenoobJun 11, 2013
I put off this movie for so long and I finally got around to watching it and I am glad that I did. It's pretty enjoyable. Absolutely loved Culkin as Wells, He was awesome. Just a very entertaining movie.
CharadeDec 12, 2012
I find the critics handing out low scores in the media are the old, wrinkly, haggard, grumpy types that will sit through reruns of "lost in translation". The boring types basically.. That's why I've stopped reading critic reviews entirely andI find the critics handing out low scores in the media are the old, wrinkly, haggard, grumpy types that will sit through reruns of "lost in translation". The boring types basically.. That's why I've stopped reading critic reviews entirely and just stick to public opinion. Looks like the public agrees this film is gold. Not every film has to be serious for you to enjoy it. I loved the video game/pop culture references and the comic book style effects. The story wasn't that bad either, something you'd find in a video game having to defeat a number of bosses before getting your prize in the end - the beautiful girl. Well done Edgar Wright..hope we get a Scott Pilgrim 2! Expand
MetalMovieNerdNov 6, 2012
Whoever claims that this movie is bad, go back to watching your awful Oscar-winning films that pretend they have a story when they don't. Movies don't need to have action scenes or explosions to be good, but they also don't need to act likeWhoever claims that this movie is bad, go back to watching your awful Oscar-winning films that pretend they have a story when they don't. Movies don't need to have action scenes or explosions to be good, but they also don't need to act like they're smarter than the audience and don't need to act like they have a plot when they don't. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World had some of the best writing and directing in film since Tarantino made the Kill Bill movies. And the acting has humanity and actual emotion in it unlike whatever wins best picture at the Academy Awards. As much as people aren't going to want to admit it, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is one of the few movies in recent memory that is relevant, like-able, watchable, and is legitimately hilarious. And that is a testament to how good movies can be! Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 10, 2013
This is a great movie that is like being in the middle of a video game. Edgar Wright steps out from his normal routine to display a sense of style that is really exciting.
sammieteeOct 6, 2013
I started out fairly enjoying this movie. It had a cool premise and stayed true to it's roots but the more I watched it the less I liked it. The characters just started to not be likeable. Michael Cera's acting wasn't fun to watch and I couldI started out fairly enjoying this movie. It had a cool premise and stayed true to it's roots but the more I watched it the less I liked it. The characters just started to not be likeable. Michael Cera's acting wasn't fun to watch and I could really care less. The girl he was after (Ramona) just didn't seem worth the effort. I just had no feelings while watching the movie. Maybe I didn't enjoy it because it's my was my ex's favorite movie but I just stopped enjoying it midway through. Expand
PolisKaninFeb 19, 2014
Scott Pilgrim is a good graphic novel series. Normally when books get turned into films, it ends up worse than the book. However in this case, the graphic novels are good and the film is excellent.
JohnKristoferDec 22, 2014
The Movie is over the top,Silly,dumb,stupid but in a right way,it is also hilarious.This movie is worth to watch with friends with awesome visuals and a good laugh will surely be there.
ComandanteCobraApr 26, 2017
Unconventional movie. It's funny, has a lots of reference, good ost, it's furious, stunning visual experimentation. It's one of those movie that get better with every watch.
ahmedaiman9999Apr 15, 2018
I wish if the smartness and the inventiveness of the script hold up to the second half of the movie, like of the visuals do.
It's really strange that this amazing movie is Edgar Wright's worst one!

(7.5/10)
Hectic3006May 27, 2011
Side characters more interesting than main, Cera playing as same as always, stupid and rushed plot - all dragging this movie down; Nothing new or special in this movie.
AMT6400Nov 20, 2010
Just like others before me, I am a gamer. I enjoy manga, comics, reading up on the game industry, etc. Obviously I could be categorized as a person who would enjoyed this film, but this film was horrible. It was not due to the gamingJust like others before me, I am a gamer. I enjoy manga, comics, reading up on the game industry, etc. Obviously I could be categorized as a person who would enjoyed this film, but this film was horrible. It was not due to the gaming references or the corny one liners littered throughout the movie, but rather, the love story itself that was carelessly woven for Scott and Ramona. It's not the emotionally moving, heart felt, passionate sort of love that would move anyone. In fact, it felt selfish and obnoxious. I really felt bad for Knives who seemed more likeable than Ramona, and better fit for Scott. The other characters were barely worth mentioning aside from Scott's gay room-mate who, at-least, brought some comic relief. Either way, the main character himself, Scott, is flat and uninspiring. And the story only got worse whenever the 7 ex-boyfriends were thrown in for good old mindless showdowns that have absolutely nothing to do with what this movie really is: a romantic comedy. Let me repeat this: This is not an action movie. It's for Twilight-look alike, wannabe gamers that give the rest of us a new reason to be ashamed. Maybe one day, someone can make a gamer inspired movie that doesn't make us all look like selfish, unappealing, attention deficient pre-teens. Expand
Croy70Aug 23, 2010
Brilliant movie. I love watching movies with unlikely hero's and creative use of genre's. Had me glued to the plot and dialog the entire time. Highly recommend.
VashramireAug 20, 2010
An absolute delight. Visually compelling and though tuned to a particular fan base (that i happen to be apart of) I found to be hysterical. One must have a true love of video games and music diversity to get all the little ins and outs of theAn absolute delight. Visually compelling and though tuned to a particular fan base (that i happen to be apart of) I found to be hysterical. One must have a true love of video games and music diversity to get all the little ins and outs of the movie so even though my parents and the lot are sure to be baffled by this movie, it pulls straight from my childhood and puts it on the screen brilliantly. Directing and acting was superb across the board. Faithful to the graphic novels interpretation by movie standards and will be a must have when released on DVD. Leaving a good movie you want to quote good parts, and this one was so overwhelming it was hard to choose. I'm in lesbians with this movie. Expand
Falling_HammerJan 27, 2011
The first time I heard about this movie I thought it was a joke. I thought that this movie sucks, but then I realized that I was wrong... very wrong, absolutely totally super wrong, and till this day I thank God for that. To get to the pointThe first time I heard about this movie I thought it was a joke. I thought that this movie sucks, but then I realized that I was wrong... very wrong, absolutely totally super wrong, and till this day I thank God for that. To get to the point THIS MOVIE ROCKS, KICKS ASS, DEFEATS BOREDOM, and just like the GREAT MAN SAID (user Billyliar**): "Wright fully captured the essence of the gamer/gen-Y crowd and the modern teen comedy". So if you want to get the whole picture just read Billyliar's review. If you watch this film you wont regret it. Expand
CoDFatherAug 13, 2010
Seriously, anyone who thinks this movie is **** or anyone who tries to make themselves sound smart 'cause they use really offensive words, or really correct literacy, can go to **** Hell. I hope I speak for more than half the fans that sawSeriously, anyone who thinks this movie is **** or anyone who tries to make themselves sound smart 'cause they use really offensive words, or really correct literacy, can go to **** Hell. I hope I speak for more than half the fans that saw this movie the day it came out, like me, when I say this is the best damned movie that I've seen this year with Michael Cera as the main character, since Superbad! Sure, the movie is pretty fake, maybe faker than the Hudsucker Proxy, but that just makes it even funnier, somehow (LOL)! The original comic from the mind of Bryan Lee O'Malley made into a MOVIE?! What in Jesus' name is smarter! Robin D. Cook, Jennifer Euston, and Allison Jones were very careful for their choices for the cast and must be as smart as Steven Hawking or Bill Gates! Metaphorically speaking, of course. But, still, some of the huge fans of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World must be thinking, "What's to hate about this movie?" Thank you for reading! Expand
IqbalJan 27, 2011
If you check my account you will see that im a bit of a gamer. That being said, this movie is a stinker. The whole video games sketch as special effects just looks lame. If you dislike cheesiness like in the Twillight series then you willIf you check my account you will see that im a bit of a gamer. That being said, this movie is a stinker. The whole video games sketch as special effects just looks lame. If you dislike cheesiness like in the Twillight series then you will sure as hell dislike this. This ones a stinker folks. Expand
SteveAug 13, 2010
I'm pretty new to this series. I just read the comics about 2 weeks before seeing this movie. I must say, this movie does what Watchmen accomplished for me: provide a fantastic representation of the characters and stories while still beingI'm pretty new to this series. I just read the comics about 2 weeks before seeing this movie. I must say, this movie does what Watchmen accomplished for me: provide a fantastic representation of the characters and stories while still being able to tweak the experience for regular audiences to understand. Thoroughly hilarious and beautiful. Now why would I not give it a 10? Despite its closeness to the source material, I personally felt that after the defeat of Evil Ex #3, the connectivity to the other Ex's was sped through very quickly, especially the Katayagi Bros scene. The fight scene itself was pretty awesome, considering it was another chance for the audience to get a piece of audio pleasure with the band, but they never really got too in depth into the Ex's. Other than this fact, taking out many of the minor characters was definitely understandable. In the end, I left the theater with a smile on my face which is what I really wanted.

Also is this not Gen-X anymore? I mean, I'm as old as most of the main characters...and I grew up in the 90's. I'd rather not be Gen-Y >.>
walrusgodAug 18, 2010
Pleasantly surprised! The cast was great, the video game and pop-culture references were funny and fit the story (and style) well, and overall it was one of the most enjoyable movies of the summer. I haven't seen a movie that quite graspsPleasantly surprised! The cast was great, the video game and pop-culture references were funny and fit the story (and style) well, and overall it was one of the most enjoyable movies of the summer. I haven't seen a movie that quite grasps both video game and comic book aesthetics as well as Scott Pilgrim, and it marks yet another great movie from director Edgar Wright. It may not be a "deep" movie, but it's a hell of a lot more fun than bland comedy remakes and big-budget action movies. Expand
Joshua_JamaarAug 17, 2010
Scott Pilgrim vs the World, this film is an original action-comedy filled with nostalgia moments that adult gamers would be entertained by. Though, it's not for everyone, considering its referential humor and overall 'geek' appeal, this is aScott Pilgrim vs the World, this film is an original action-comedy filled with nostalgia moments that adult gamers would be entertained by. Though, it's not for everyone, considering its referential humor and overall 'geek' appeal, this is a solid film meant to please its intended audience with an significant amount of laughter with epic proportions. Expand
hurumbleAug 14, 2010
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is FANTASTIC. I love the comics and could not be happier with how this turned out. Now, it must be said that when it comes to retelling the story as it is presented in the comic, it does not directly follow it.Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is FANTASTIC. I love the comics and could not be happier with how this turned out. Now, it must be said that when it comes to retelling the story as it is presented in the comic, it does not directly follow it. However, I had absolutely no issue with the things they changed. When it comes down to it, this movie does the best job staying true to the ATTITUDE and the FEEL of its source material out of every movie I have ever seen where I was also familiar with both the book/video game/graphic novel/comic. Scott Pilgrim is a dream for a male (and many females, I'm sure) in his early twenties who grew up with a Super Nintendo. All the characters are spot on.. from Scott to Knives to Ramona and everyone else. Precisely how I would have envisioned them while reading the comics. The various video game reference are spectacular, and there are even some other great surprise references that I won't mention because it make it all that more exciting when they come up. If you think the idea of demon hipster chicks and vegan police sounds pretty funny to watch, or if the thought of an epic of epic epicness (great tagline that captures it perfectly) sounds pretty wicked, I would say you need to check this out. Expand
jpohAug 14, 2010
The stream of consciousness style is done perfectly as to progress through the story with just enough random insanity to be hilarious and endearing, while also keeping the story coherent.
itseverywhereAug 14, 2010
A truly fantastic adaption of the comics, Scott Pilgrim is directed and acted almost perfectly. Each character fits their role to a T, and the numerous all feel fresh and interesting. The fact the movie blends comedy, romance, and actionA truly fantastic adaption of the comics, Scott Pilgrim is directed and acted almost perfectly. Each character fits their role to a T, and the numerous all feel fresh and interesting. The fact the movie blends comedy, romance, and action without any one feeling weakened by the other two is fantastic. The movie does a masterful job of cutting down the story to a manageable length, which, when looking at the sheer quantity of source material, is more than a little impressive. The movie isn't entirely perfect, as the fights against Roxie and The Twins are both slightly flawed. However, the movie is close enough to perfection to warrant a 10. Brilliant acting, action, comedy, and romance. What else could you possibly want? Expand
LinkMaster111Aug 14, 2010
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World is easily the best film I have seen this year and probably one of the best I have ever seen. The characters were all engaging and funny, the dialog was witty and charming, and the comic book effects added a niceScott Pilgrim Vs. the World is easily the best film I have seen this year and probably one of the best I have ever seen. The characters were all engaging and funny, the dialog was witty and charming, and the comic book effects added a nice dose of charm. The movie also scores extra points with gamers for all its references. A must see. Expand
ErgoAug 15, 2010
This movie is all kinds of amazing. I was really looking forward to this movie prior to its release, but now i just want to keep going back to watch it. If you spend more than 2 hours a day on the internet chances are you will greatly enjoyThis movie is all kinds of amazing. I was really looking forward to this movie prior to its release, but now i just want to keep going back to watch it. If you spend more than 2 hours a day on the internet chances are you will greatly enjoy this movie. Expand
folk_tyloreAug 15, 2010
This movie is so much better than The Expendables if you're debating which movie to see, see this especially because it isn't doing so well in the box office and it should. The previews for this movie don't do it justice, its funny, unique,This movie is so much better than The Expendables if you're debating which movie to see, see this especially because it isn't doing so well in the box office and it should. The previews for this movie don't do it justice, its funny, unique, and highly stylistic. the cinematography is reminiscent to that of Speed Racer but unlike Speed Racer its more funny and has a cool story that is anything but ordinary. If you love video games, comic books and good music you'll love this movie if you don't like any of those things i think you'll still like this movies. My only advice to you is that you go in with an open mind this isn't you're average comedy. Expand
austeniteAug 15, 2010
I've been waiting Michael Cera to play this role ever since Arrested Development.

I for one praise him for his work in Scott Pilgrim. Doubly so if he did his own martial arts sequences. Personally I loved the movie from the moment it opened (with the mf'ing ZELDA 3 THEME) till the ending where he cashed in his extra life to save the day.

For me the whole "geek grows a pair" story, video game action-y fight sequences and snappy rapid fire sense of humor all just added up to what will probably be my favorite movie of 2010.
CoolieNinjaAug 22, 2010
The movie stays, for better or for worse, relatively loyal to the comic books, keeping the same sense of humor and references. Most of the more shallow 'lessons' of the comic book along with the insubstantial banter between characters that'sThe movie stays, for better or for worse, relatively loyal to the comic books, keeping the same sense of humor and references. Most of the more shallow 'lessons' of the comic book along with the insubstantial banter between characters that's typical of the character's demographics are preserved for the movie. A few of the more important lessons of the comic books involving acceptance of the changing nature of life and responsibilities (an especially poignant realization for modern youth between 20 and 30) are unfortunately placed to the wayside for time//market constraints. In a way this movie is just like Watchmen. If you read the comic and loved the comics, you will love this movie. If you haven't read the comic, chances are you will be confused by this movie. If you've read the comic and hated it, you will hate this movie. Expand
threeivalorAug 18, 2010
A simply stunning movie in both its visuals and over-the-top action scenes. The story is insanely easy to follow, but also completely insane on the same note. If you enjoy your imagination being put to the test and a wonderfully action-packedA simply stunning movie in both its visuals and over-the-top action scenes. The story is insanely easy to follow, but also completely insane on the same note. If you enjoy your imagination being put to the test and a wonderfully action-packed love story, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a must-see. Expand