Columbia Pictures | Release Date: April 7, 2017
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 64 Ratings
Watch Now
Buttonmash1973Nov 19, 2017
I folowed the Smurfs since the 1970's where I had the Danish comics and saw the 1977 Smurfs movie. I'm surprised this made it to the Oscar runners up this year. The animation and sound is amazing. And of course Eiffel 65 had to be in theI folowed the Smurfs since the 1970's where I had the Danish comics and saw the 1977 Smurfs movie. I'm surprised this made it to the Oscar runners up this year. The animation and sound is amazing. And of course Eiffel 65 had to be in the soundtrack with the classic eurodance track Blue. If you love some light entertainment and Smurfs nostalgia go watch this. Expand
Jim222001Jun 15, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Due to the live action versions being quite bad, no one expected much from this version. However it is more smurfy and more like the animated series from the 80's. Since they're actually in their own land throughout. Being magically transported to New York and then Paris, was just stupid.
There's just a strange dirty joke thrown in when Papa Smurf (Mandy Patinkin) and Smurfwillow (Julia Roberts) are trapped in a cage together. He says "time to rock the cage" and she says "don't make it weird." Although, my 13 yr old niece and I laughed hysterically at that. While Rain Wilson's Gargamel is so hyperactive you'd think Jim Carrey was voicing him.
Otherwise the voice actors are better than the cast from the other films. It's especially funny that Gordan Ramsy talks for Baker Smurf despite rarely being shown. While of course Michelle Rodriguez talks for the tough girl smurf named Smurfstorm. Jack McBrayer is probably the best cast as Clumsy. While not as good as the show. Smurfs: The Lost Village is at least superior to the Neil Patrick Harris films. Well due to actually being watchable.
Striking4gold4May 29, 2017
This film actually wound up being one of Sony's best animated films along the lines with the Hotel Transylvania films. The story is rather engaging, the animation is absolutely gorgeous and the characters, as generic as they sound, are reallyThis film actually wound up being one of Sony's best animated films along the lines with the Hotel Transylvania films. The story is rather engaging, the animation is absolutely gorgeous and the characters, as generic as they sound, are really funny. The only problem is that the film rather wants to play it safe, which takes out most of the tension. But thanks to the clever writing and gorgeous animation that stays true to the spirit of Peyo, it becomes worth a watch. Expand
MaximeLoonaticApr 11, 2017
This is defently the best Smurfs movie ever made!
It's loyal to the original design, very sweet and bright!
This should be continued with a sequel or even a tv show
nicholi0901Apr 5, 2018
made to be a classic fun to watch it is a cartoon again fun for all ages good animation a lot better then the other ones it's like a new world
ceb1031Jun 28, 2017
If you go with your family to see “Smurfs: The Lost Village” (and let’s be honest: most of today’s animated features are more than suitable for adults only, but anyone who would go to this movie without children is seriously starved forIf you go with your family to see “Smurfs: The Lost Village” (and let’s be honest: most of today’s animated features are more than suitable for adults only, but anyone who would go to this movie without children is seriously starved for entertainment), you’ll get to experience the trailer for “The Emoji Movie,” an upcoming feature from the same studio, Sony Pictures Animation. The trailer is hosted by an emoji named Meh, voiced in the morose observational tones of comedian Steven Wright; in just 30 seconds, he makes not being overly enthusiastic about anything seem the apex of hilarity. I won’t prejudge the film, but it’s a stupendous trailer.
Then we get to the Smurfs movie, which has a hundred characters who are Smurfs, and not one of them is as funny, or wry, or distinctive as Meh. You might describe the Smurfs as blueberry Hobbits crossed with knockoffs of the Seven Dwarfs — or, more precisely, of Dopey, since they mirror his innocent leer of a grin, open-car-door ears, and hat that’s like a folded-over blob of Poppin’ Fresh dough. (I do realize that the Smurfs were created in Belgium in 1958, and that their headwear was meant to evoke the Phrygian cap, which signifies freedom. But they still look like Dopey.) As with the Dwarfs, the Smurfs have names that describe just what they are: in this case, Jokey, Nerdy, Grouchy, Brainy, Clumsy, Nosy, Hefty, Winner, Loser, Painter, Scuba, Paranoid, Therapist (“Sometimes,” says a patient, “I just feel blue!”), and Table-Eater. Unlike the Seven Dwarfs, the Smurfs, even with their Defining Traits, seem to have more or less interchangeable personalities. They’re one-note elfin mascots of cute who are all, in essence, variations on the same product.
Last November, when “Trolls” came out, a number of critics described it as being sort of like a Smurfs movie. Well, it kind of was — but if so, it was the “Citizen Kane” of Smurf movies, a kaleidoscopic disco fantasia with marvelously individualized troll-doll characters. (I’ve seen it three times and could easily watch it again.) “Smurfs: The Lost Village,” by contrast, is a sweetly benign fantasy for three-to-seven-year-olds, and though one should show no hesitation in calling it innocuous, because it is, I do realize that’s all part of the design. It’s not a rousing animated comedy that parents will cherish along with their kids. It’s more like a colorful and diverting pacifier.
DominArsenDec 8, 2018
Les Schtroumpfs et le village perdu
Du début à la fin les Schtroumpfs vous emportent dans un mode de rêve, de psychologie #CharactéreSchtroumpfs et d'Avatar (le film)
Oui l'émotion est un point fort ! Oui ce film est amusant ! Oui ce film a
Les Schtroumpfs et le village perdu
Oui l'émotion est un point fort !
Oui ce film est amusant !
Oui ce film a vu Avatar !
Mais ce film est avant tous destiné aux enfants pour une soirée familiale tranquille.. C'est retrouvé le #Bleu qui fait de vous des enfants aux yeux des vôtres.
Ma seule déception c'est que ce n'était pas un mixte entre film d'animation et film
AppleJamesJan 18, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Smurfs: the Lost Village is a rather competent film that strays away from the 2 god awful CGI/Live Action Cash Grab Films known as "The Smurfs" and "The Smurfs 2"

While I didn't exactly grow up with the age demographic of most Smurfs Fans, I do remember watching a lot of the episodes on Boomerang as a kid, and all I can say is The Lost Village is an almost proper reboot/revisit to the Original Animated Smurfs cartoon. The Lost Village, unlike the blatant cash grab films is set in the same world as the original, with many of the same concepts kept untouched, or very slightly but elegantly altered. The only gripe I'd have is that the lore of this film somewhat throws out season 5 of the Smurfs, for example it's known that Smurfette isn't actually a real Smurf in both the show and film, but the show there is really only one actual Female Smurf (Nanny Smurf) and 2 Magic Made Smurfs (Smurfette & Sassette) However in the CGI Movie we have a whole Tribe of natural Female Smurfs when Smurfette was thought to be the only one even if she was made with magic.

Essentially The Lost Village stays true to the original show but only if you exclude season 5 and after. But what they do with excluding season 5 is a really neat concept all on it's own. If you know just a bit about the Smurfs then the film comes across as an expansion of the original show, but if you are pretty well educated about Smurf Lore then this comes off as a different Universe entirely that can still spark that bit of wonder.

The film also has plenty of interesting visuals and quality animation, but tends to lack in a lot of the writing and world. There tends to be a lot of obvious puns that are based off of the one dimensional smurfs, granted there isn't really a whole lot else you can do with characters that are intentionally designed to be 1 Dimensional, All Smurfs are personified by one single aspect, this makes it easy to write easy jokes, but it doesn't allow much character building. The only character who actually changes, or at least comes to terms with what she is is Smurfette, and even then she has no clue, there isn't an exact aspect to Smurfette's personality, but with her being the main character, character development doesn't seem to be that big of a deal in the film.

Now I've seen some reviews claim that the film is using Feminist Propaganda, and I can't really agree here, I understand that there's a focus on powerful female characters, but it doesn't feel overly forced, it really fits in with that universe expansion, and really it rather makes sense for the Female Smurfs to be a force to reckon with given the setting of their village, the film builds up that the Forbidding Forest is a dangerous place, then throughout the film our protagonist Smurfs do end up having a difficult time in this unknown land. It wouldn't make any sense if the Female Smurfs were peacefully living pleasurable lives in this harsh environment, they fit in with the harsh environment by living a harsh lifestyle. Overall I think Smurfs: the Lost Village is an alright and competent revisit to the Smurfs, but could use some fixing up. And if Sony is ever going to reboot any other old classics, I hope this is how they do it, instead of cash grab crap like the 2 CGI/Live Action Films.
cuckeApr 17, 2017
this movie is absolutely incredible! I was crying by the end. Demi Lovato's voicing is amazingly touching and I didn't know an animated character could do that to me. it has an amazing message as well. GO SEE IT!
Vulf001Jun 14, 2018
Finally a good Smurfs movie! The first two were very bad, but with this movie they did what they should have done with the first one: this one is fully animated and they gave it a good story. My expectations were very low, but this filmFinally a good Smurfs movie! The first two were very bad, but with this movie they did what they should have done with the first one: this one is fully animated and they gave it a good story. My expectations were very low, but this film suprised me. Thanks Sony! Expand