Lionsgate | Release Date: September 22, 2017
Watch Now
bmaster4616Sep 26, 2017
Stronger (2017) review
Stronger (2017) review
I remember seeing this film at one of the previews to a film and completely forgot about it. I then was hearing it got great reviews so I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. This based on a true story movie on the Boston Marathon is a wondering showing of talent from all around. Not sure if it was in the editing or they wrote it in the screenplay, but the way it was structured help with the emotion. It never showed the event from his perspective until later in the film. It really was put in the right area. Also, damn are the performances fantastic. This is expected from someone like Jake G. but I had never seen Tatiana Maslany in a movie ever and she was fantastic. She never felt like she was misplaced or felt like she didn't belong. She put it up with Jake G. the whole time as he produced one of the best performances by him. There wasn't any when he came out and we thought we were watching the actor. There were times when he did show emotion but it never felt like he was asking. This is top two of his because it always felt like it was grounded in realism. He kills it again. The story itself also shows how the stages of grief can affect both the victim and the family but never felt cliche like a lot of bad inspirational films do. Overall I was very pleased with the film and actually liked it more than Patriot's day that came out last year.

9.5/10
A
Compi24Oct 3, 2017
Just like Peter Berg's "Patriots Day," "Stronger" is one of those movies that - simply put - puts everything in perspective for you, the audience member. Thanks to some absolutely magnificent performances from Jake Gyllenhaal and TatianaJust like Peter Berg's "Patriots Day," "Stronger" is one of those movies that - simply put - puts everything in perspective for you, the audience member. Thanks to some absolutely magnificent performances from Jake Gyllenhaal and Tatiana Maslany, the careful and creative directorial work from David Gordon Green, and an absolutely riveting script from screenwriter John Pollono, we're delivered an achingly human film that harbors some unfortunately unsung truths to be told about survivor's guilt, remorse, and the horrors of post-traumatic stress. "Stronger" is a triumph and one of the year's best films without a doubt. It should be seen by all. Expand
moviemitch96Sep 26, 2017
Didn't have as quite as strong of an impact on me as last year's Boston Marathon bombing film "Patriots Day", but this was definitely much more inspirational and full of heart overall, with Jake Gyllenhaal's moving performance acting as theDidn't have as quite as strong of an impact on me as last year's Boston Marathon bombing film "Patriots Day", but this was definitely much more inspirational and full of heart overall, with Jake Gyllenhaal's moving performance acting as the beating heart. Supporting turns from familiar faces, such as Miranda Richardson and Clancy Brown as Gyllenhaal's character's parents also served the film well. Overall, it may be pretty formulaic in terms of its predictable crowd-pleasing style, but its message and performances from the dedicated cast are quite fine enough to overcome that. Expand
Humble_BragSep 22, 2017
Lets talk about bad first. The ending is too cheesy for me, the tone is forced by the generic music. The rest of the movie is excellent. Jake Gyllenhaal is great, the movie has great heart, the perspective is refreshing.
netflicOct 2, 2017
This is a docu-drama about a real person, Jeff Bauman, who got severely injured during the infamous Boston marathon bombing of 2013.

He became a symbol of Boston's spirit after surviving the bombing and loosing both of his legs. This is a

This is a very well-made emotional movie intended for a much wider audience, not just art-house and independent movies crowd.

Jake Gyllenhaal, one of my most favorite actors, plays the the protagonist, Jeff Bauman, and he shines there. Not only him but the whole cast performs very strongly, in accordance with the movie's name. I believe we will see quite a few names from this movie in Oscar list for 2017.
FedorkoNov 14, 2017
One of the better written biopics I've seen. Gritty and realistic because of good direction, writing and acting, Stronger is a worthy dedication. Its message rings true because it doesn't tip-toe around issues. Yes, there are some one-linersOne of the better written biopics I've seen. Gritty and realistic because of good direction, writing and acting, Stronger is a worthy dedication. Its message rings true because it doesn't tip-toe around issues. Yes, there are some one-liners that are kind of painful, but otherwise the supporting cast does wonders. Expand
CarFan1999Oct 8, 2017
Coupled to the amazing story is an award-winning performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. He powerfully conveys Bauman’s emotions throughout the movie and simply does a fantastic job. His performance feels natural to the point where you see BaumanCoupled to the amazing story is an award-winning performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. He powerfully conveys Bauman’s emotions throughout the movie and simply does a fantastic job. His performance feels natural to the point where you see Bauman himself and not an actor playing him. It is helped out by a story that also feels natural and not dramatized by Hollywood. Most of the supporting cast, especially from Tatiana Maslany (who plays Jeff’s girlfriend), also give emotionally rich performances.

Stronger isn’t an easy watch. I personally teared up 4 times. There are also some lulls in the story, not to mention lots of strong language. However, with a story that feels natural and an absolutely outstanding performance from Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger is a powerfully moving film.
eagleeyevikingDec 14, 2017
"Stronger" is a terrifically acted, emotional dramatisation of a survivor's path to recovery after the Boston Marathon bombing.
Meth-dudeJan 19, 2018
Brilliantly acted by both Jake Gyllenhaal and Tatiana Maslany, Stronger is a very touching and engaging movie. If you're interested in knowing more about the life of Jeff Bauman or the repercussions that the Boston Marathon Bombing had onBrilliantly acted by both Jake Gyllenhaal and Tatiana Maslany, Stronger is a very touching and engaging movie. If you're interested in knowing more about the life of Jeff Bauman or the repercussions that the Boston Marathon Bombing had on people, I highly recommend watching the movie. Expand
JLuis_001Dec 12, 2017
When you see the poster of this movie or you read the synopsis or watched the trailer, you might think you know what kind of story it's ahead of you and obviously you think you are looking at something already seen several times before andWhen you see the poster of this movie or you read the synopsis or watched the trailer, you might think you know what kind of story it's ahead of you and obviously you think you are looking at something already seen several times before and it's fair to think that but to judge it because of it, no, that's not fair.

While it's true that the film is focused on the message of overcoming a personal tragedy, it also gets into some political comment but it does not gets stuck there and toward the ending the strenghts of the film speak volumes for themselves.

The directing, the emotional tone and the solid performances of both Jake Gyllenhaal and Tatiana Maslany, especially that of Gyllenhaal, give this film an outstanding splendor and although it did not make a striking noise, I believe Stronger is one of the best films of the end of this year.
amheretojudgeJan 16, 2018
you don't owe me anything..

Stronger Breeding the suffer and relinquishing the hope in some heartbreaking scene; Jake Gyllenhaal breathes Jeff Bauman's life, with the help of David's wide vision and John's tight adaptation which tears you
you don't owe me anything..

Stronger

Breeding the suffer and relinquishing the hope in some heartbreaking scene; Jake Gyllenhaal breathes Jeff Bauman's life, with the help of David's wide vision and John's tight adaptation which tears you down instead of cringing on the seat.