Quiver Distribution | Release Date: August 30, 2019
3.9
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 27 Ratings
Watch Now
TheQuietGamerOct 5, 2019
I'm a Limp Bizkit fan. I love their loud, brash, and aggressive sound. However, I'm often left perplexed by Fred Durst's lyrics. Sometimes there's a clear message there and others all I can gather is that it's just a bunch word vomit whereI'm a Limp Bizkit fan. I love their loud, brash, and aggressive sound. However, I'm often left perplexed by Fred Durst's lyrics. Sometimes there's a clear message there and others all I can gather is that it's just a bunch word vomit where confusion seems to be the only rational reaction. You can probably guess which type The Fanatic more closely resembles...

In this clash between action movie star and obsessed fan it's never clear who you're supposed to be rooting for. "Moose" is a clearly autistic man who just doesn't know any better, but that doesn't make him any less dangerous. "Hunter Dunbar" is world-class jerk who definitely could handled the situation better, but it's hard to fault him for getting aggressive when faced with a stalker that crossed the line. Perhaps we're not supposed to sympathize with either of them in the end. Which would have been acceptable had there been some kind of meaning to all of this, but alas there doesn't appear to be any. So that violent conclusion just ends up leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

It's not even like The Fanatic really does all that much wrong. The humor it tries to mine from Moose's childlike behavior feels out of place and may not sit well with some as it comes at the expense of the mentally ill, but I wouldn't straight garbage or anything like that. It's just that without anything to say for itself the film's most notable qualities end up being John Travolta's all in, yet strangely terrible performance and the fact that it's entirely the brainchild of Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst. Both of which are certainly interesting, but not enough to make the movie worth watching given the considerable lack of substance.

5.5/10
MarkTakayamaSep 5, 2020
I like John Travolta's passion. He tries to be funny and serious. But this doesn't look like a great movie. Thank you for your time, Mr.Travolta.See you at the next movie!