A24 | Release Date: February 11, 2022
5.4
Mixed or average reviews based on 14 Ratings
Watch Now
moviemitch96Feb 12, 2022
Directed by Josephine Decker and based off the YA novel of the same name and adapted for the screen by the author herself Jandy Nelson, Lennie (Grace Kaufman) comes of age and tries to find herself after coping with the loss of her sister, asDirected by Josephine Decker and based off the YA novel of the same name and adapted for the screen by the author herself Jandy Nelson, Lennie (Grace Kaufman) comes of age and tries to find herself after coping with the loss of her sister, as well as dealing with love. While the film's execution does feel pretty straightforward at times, there's a certain unmistakable charm and amount of heart to it that kept me smiling and enjoying it throughout for the most part. Kaufman's lead performance is equal parts delightful and heartbreaking, and she pulls it off quite well. But overall, it may feel like a by-the-numbers YA adaptation at times, but ultimately it's a touching and admirable story in the end that I just couldn't help but smile by the end of. Expand
JLuis_001Feb 18, 2022
Visually I can't complain, but the story presented here, adapted from a YA book by the same writer, leaves a lot to be desired.
Mostly because of the lack of genuine feeling for a subject that mixes youth and grief after a family death, and those emotions need to be portrayed on screen in a natural way, not as mechanic or constructed as polished as what is seen here.

As I mentioned, there are a lot of visual sequences that look amazing, but that's just part of the presentation, clearly no small detail, but I find it really disappointing that its story doesn't live up even a little bit to what its director is proposing visually.
Mauro_LanariFeb 17, 2022
(Mauro Lanari)
(Mauro Lanari)
Probably the worst coming-of-age story I've ever come across: Lennie, a 16-year-old clarinetist, is tossed between the polarized vicissitudes of traumatic mourning and love at first sight, and reacts to both with the madness: crazy because of Thanatos as much as of Eros in an almost indistinguishable way. Sexuality has just the additional element of hormonal euphoria, but I would have suggested a more balanced musicality by listening to and playing "Lithium" instead of Bach. Decker aggravates the teen dramedy by confusing poetic lyricism with kitsch.
WhomstamiFeb 22, 2022
This movie would be better if the main character wasn't a toxic stalker and there was less time spent on surreal imagery that barely applies and more time on actual character development.
r96skFeb 20, 2022
I really enjoyed 'The Sky Is Everywhere'.

I really enjoyed 'The Sky Is Everywhere'.

I can't comment on how it compares to the book, but solely on film terms I think it's very good. Grace Kaufman gives a pleasing performance, showing a fair few emotions in the role. The rest of 'em are solid too, whether that be Jacques Colimon or Cherry Jones. Visually it also looks real neat.

I'm not saying it's perfect of course, spontaneous moments of everyone dancing is still yet to work on me, though it is a pleasant watch all in all - with added meaning. Judge for yourself, but I personally think it is more than up to the mark. A clear-cut 8/10 for me.
EMDRMar 11, 2022
The sky is everywhere: a fairy tale, an idyllic and timeless story in a colorful and imaginative world. Wonderful!!!
ExceladeogunMar 24, 2022
The sky is everywhere

The sky is everywhere

The cinematography is aesthetically pleasing and well-done, from the camera twirls and zooms to the redwood trees that envelop most of the locations. Bereavement, coming to terms with loss and teenage angst as its central themes keep it emotionally charged, and are well portrayed by the protagonist (Grace Kaufman). Even though the plot may feel muddled sometimes, and the progression may seem stunted, it is a very enjoyable movie with important lessons to be learnt.