Columbia Pictures | Release Date: October 1, 2010
Universal acclaim based on 2066 Ratings
1,796
Watch Now
matthewkrandOct 1, 2010
"The Social Network" was so good I don't even know where to begin. I can't, for the life of me, think of another film in recent years that's left me so wholeheartedly satisfied by the time the credits started rolling. This is some amazing,"The Social Network" was so good I don't even know where to begin. I can't, for the life of me, think of another film in recent years that's left me so wholeheartedly satisfied by the time the credits started rolling. This is some amazing, amazing stuff we've got here folks: don't miss it for the world. Expand
GreatbealloJan 27, 2012
Let's be straight. This movie should have won best picture. This film is perhaps the most representative film of my generation. We are obsessed with technology, status, materialism, and sex. Fincher's depiction of how Facebook was developedLet's be straight. This movie should have won best picture. This film is perhaps the most representative film of my generation. We are obsessed with technology, status, materialism, and sex. Fincher's depiction of how Facebook was developed is fascinating. Facebook has come to dominate our way of communicating and looking at the world, and this film, although controversial, beautifully depicts the way in which the website became the monster it is today. Expand
CassioSanfeliceFeb 24, 2013
The biggest of various achievements on The Social Network is directing. Mr. Fincher's work is unique and revolutionary. The editing, sound mixing, and fine acting made this movie a modern classic.
DanBurritoSep 27, 2016
Thanks to Aaron Sorkin's brilliant script, David Fincher's stylish direction and fantastic performances from its young cast, The Social Network is a fascinating, witty and engrossing look at the founding of Facebook. The cast are amazing.Thanks to Aaron Sorkin's brilliant script, David Fincher's stylish direction and fantastic performances from its young cast, The Social Network is a fascinating, witty and engrossing look at the founding of Facebook. The cast are amazing. Jesse Eisenberg gives a career-best performance as Mark Zuckerberg, while Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake and Armie Hammer shine as well. The film also benefits from unique, stylish storytelling, helped by wonderful editing and inspired screenwriting. Who knew you could make such a great film out of the founding of a social media website? Overall, this is a well-crafted, superbly acted film, and one of the best of 2010. Expand
film_talksDec 7, 2019
Great visuals, quick and witty dialogue, superb acting and a suspenseful soundtrack, all wrapped around David Fincher’s masterful directing, the Social Network serves as a sophisticated film that emphasizes the potential of the script and howGreat visuals, quick and witty dialogue, superb acting and a suspenseful soundtrack, all wrapped around David Fincher’s masterful directing, the Social Network serves as a sophisticated film that emphasizes the potential of the script and how the most boring concepts can produce the most interesting substance when made right. Expand
zzz_DeV1L_zzzJun 6, 2020
The film is excellent, I can’t put on 10, because all the same a couple of moments were nasty and incomprehensible, well-deserved 9.
aaronpaul121Mar 5, 2015
The movie was brilliant. Just bloody brilliant. Everything was well-made and amazing. I think this is a true masterpiece. Definitely the best movie in 2010.
RichBlackSep 24, 2011
Eduardo Saverin: "Sorry! My Prada's at the cleaners! Along with my hoodie and my **** you' flip-flops, you pretentious douchebag!"

The Social Network is DEFINITELY the best movie of the year about the substantial growth of the disreputable but well-off website, Facebook. Everything was magnificent, with the well-written screenplay of Sorkin and great direction of Fincher, its simply the best. People did give second opinions about this movie (being about facebook), but the Social Network is the complete opposite of what they thought.

This film is set in 2003, about a Harvard sophomore named Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), that comes up with an idea (while "intoxicated"). And creates a website that allows you to rate the hotness of girl in Harvard dorms, which reaches 200,000 views and brings it's attention to the Winklevoss twins. They meet up with Mark and tell their idea of making a social network, using "Harvard.edu". Thinking that he can do better, he meets up with his friend, Edwardo Saverin, and decides that they will make the website instead (splitting the share 30/70). when Facebook gets around, Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake), creator of napster, wants to get in with the project, and gets a warm welcome from everyone except Saverin.//

I don't want to tell you the whole movie (even though you probably already know), so I think I'll stop there. The Social Network was directed by the one and only, David Fincher (Zodiac, Fight Club, Se7en, and more), and is his absolute best work. The best acting would have to be tied with Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfeild, showing their best support for a movie. I wasn't surprised when I found out that Peter Travers (Rolling Stone) said that this was the best of the year, and it should of won the Grammy, instead of Kings Speech. But it did win the Grammy for best soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, for film editing by Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter, and for the adapted screenplay (of course) by Andy Sorkin.

In the two-disc collectors edition, it shows Fincher's distinctive technique in film making. shooting the first scene for ninety-nine times, David's patient directing tries to make this movie be perfect as possible, and of course, is successful. Fincher and Cronenweth made a great choice using the best High Def quality so far, by RED Digital Cinema. It interests me a lot that almost every known movie coming out recently, is being filmed in RED. I looked it up and most of the products they sell is well-over 20,000 dollars (must be really good). They're using it again while they reunite to work with a new remake of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", which I have high hopes for.

Andy Sorkin's adapted screenplay is one of the most intelligent and skilled I have seen so far. nonetheless the screenplay being so complex, it must of been complicated for the editors (Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter). But by cutting all the camera angles and showing everybody have their spotlight, they succeed and win an Oscar for their tremendous support. The costume design was nothing special, but is will put into, wearing the same clothing that they wore in real life (not exactly). You can never get enough of The Social Network, watching it the thousandth time still gives me the same satisfaction as the the first time, if not more. You can't miss a second of this movie! if you love this film as much as me, buy the two-disc collectors edition, because who wouldn't love over two hours of special features. Eduardo Saverin: "You better lawyer up **** because I'm not coming back for 30%, I'm coming back for EVERYTHING."
nboley08Oct 1, 2010
The best film of 2010 so far. Sorkin's dialogue is terrific and pretty hilarious, and Fincher directs with such clarity so that we are never confused as to what's going on even as the film jumps in and out of flashbacks, often for comicThe best film of 2010 so far. Sorkin's dialogue is terrific and pretty hilarious, and Fincher directs with such clarity so that we are never confused as to what's going on even as the film jumps in and out of flashbacks, often for comic effect. The ending is surprisingly emotional, and it's easy the Shakespearean style tragedy installed in Eisenberg's Zuckerberg. Eisenberg and Timberlake both deserve Oscar nominations, and it's almost assured that you will hear this film's name multiple times when the award nominations come rolling around in early 2011. Go see this film whether you have a Facebook or not; it's that exciting and terrific. Expand
heyitsmegrif4Feb 6, 2012
The Social Network brings unforgettable performances, along with its fantastic screenplay, a great entertaining story make for a complete masterpiece. And the one behind it all is David Fincher well done. I give this movie 97%.
TerenceYiboFeb 3, 2014
完美的传记片,没有任何瑕疵,它从各个方面都是最好的,而且充满了一种酷和科技感,精彩的剧本和台词,故事剧情赞,配乐超级好听,剪辑摄影赞,场景设计赞,艾森伯格演技激赞,本片可以用任何赞美之词来描述。完美的传记片,没有任何瑕疵,它从各个方面都是最好的,而且充满了一种酷和科技感,精彩的剧本和台词,故事剧情赞,配乐超级好听,剪辑摄影赞,场景设计赞,艾森伯格演技激赞,本片可以用任何赞美之词来描述。
beanstarNov 7, 2013
The Social Network perfectly explains about controversial-but-legendary website Facebook, which has
forever changed the way of online communication. Handled by perfect pacing, perfect writing by Sorkin, perfect direction by Fincher, perfect performances by Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield, perfect editing, and a perfect sight of its music score, The Social Network carefully explains about how its website manages to overcome all the controversy that surrounds it, and changed into something big bigger than its features and I can't clearly explain how. It also provides a determined connection to its flawed protagonists, who has worked hard to execute this ultimate plan. Yet, also, it comes clear to us, that their flaws would never possibly go away. Instead, they improve that to Facebook's strength and hopes that it will help. That is the film's magic: It makes us believe. The Social Network is one of those movies that you'll be begging to talk about for a long time, and it proves no way to deny that.
ibadukefanDec 15, 2013
I know this is really good because I am still mesmerized every time I come across it. "I'm just gonna watch this one scene and then I'm going to get back to my life" and an hour later I'm finishing the movie again. It immediately draws meI know this is really good because I am still mesmerized every time I come across it. "I'm just gonna watch this one scene and then I'm going to get back to my life" and an hour later I'm finishing the movie again. It immediately draws me in and I can't look away. I don't care if it's accurate or not, it's entertaining. Expand
hanneguacamoleJun 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Social Network opens with an extremely strong scene that establishes Mark Zuckerburg as a genius and somewhat of an **** while also introducing one of the major components of the movie–crew, or rather the twins that rowed it. We are also introduced to Mark's other lawsuit with his best friend Eduardo when he obsesses over final clubs, one of which Eduardo actually became a member of.

Mark's potential as a computer geek and as a successful person in general is really shown from the beginning with facesmash and the capability to really shut down Harvard's whole network. He does get hated but also gets found through this website. Women (understandably) are angry with him, yet he comes up with this amazing idea with the help of these twins. I was also particularly struck by his lack of interest with money. He had his own startups in high school, yet he "didn't sell it, uploaded it for free." Seems like someone who's just so enamored by these ideas that nothing on the business side even comes to mind for him. That's Eduardo's place.

It also doesn't even seem to occur to Mark that he might get in trouble for his actions. Does he even have consequences? Mark Zuckerburg is a very flawed protagonist. The truth is that he's just a real human being and we see the many sides of him and the many sides of the story. I couldn't fully sympathize with Mark because of the way he did act to certain people, yet I would find myself not sure if I was cheering for him or not because I truly understood each argument that the others were making. "If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook." Very true – Harvard Connection really was not the same thing and there was much gray area involved.

One thing that bothered me though was the way those two girls were introduced that Mark and Eduaro hooked up with, and Eduardo began dating Christy. But they treated them as if they were intellectually incapable yet they both attended Harvard. I sensed a thread of misogyny throughout that is unfortunately a part of the technology industry. (Again, this is something I would love to try to change in my life.) The movie had really unique ways to introduce new topics in a seamless fashion. One that I noticed the most was how we saw Sean Parker–the founder of Napster–and realized who he was just how that girl did. We really saw Facebook evolve as a company as the movie went on.

Something that really struck me was how this was a "once in a generation idea" which is actually probably true. Facebook has been so revolutionary in my life. I grew up before Facebook and it wasn't until my later years in school that this was really a thing so it's been amazing to see the exponential growth in social media, honestly instigated a lot by the success of this one website. Love it or hate it, it's revolutionary.

We ultimately see three people screwed out of this company and its fortune, all thanks to Mark Zuckerburg. They receive their settlements and life goes on, but I guess this level of success can't happen without such events as the damages that Mark did to his only real friendship here. "You're not an **** Mark. You're just trying so hard to be." -Marilyn Delpy (Rashida Jones) Now Mark Zuckerburg is the youngest billionaire in the world and no one can say that the things he did in this movie were not worth it for where he's at today, with over 1.4 billion users.
SamdmanOct 1, 2010
Great direction and cinematography, with a great screenplay, this film is definitely going to be in the Oscar race. All of the actors are great and despite the somewhat exaggerated party scenes, this movie feels very realistic. Just becauseGreat direction and cinematography, with a great screenplay, this film is definitely going to be in the Oscar race. All of the actors are great and despite the somewhat exaggerated party scenes, this movie feels very realistic. Just because it's a movie about Facebook, doesn't mean its corny or aimed only at young people. You should see this film no matter how old you are, even if you don't use Facebook. Overall a 10/10 and the second best movie of the year after Inception. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 28, 2011
Although the movie starts as where you would expect and end as you would expect, David Fincher's "The Social Network" is heart warm and powerful, a perfect combination of Aaron Sorkin's witty script and David Fincher's smart direction. AndAlthough the movie starts as where you would expect and end as you would expect, David Fincher's "The Social Network" is heart warm and powerful, a perfect combination of Aaron Sorkin's witty script and David Fincher's smart direction. And yes, it is one of Oscar winning movies of the year. Expand
d4rksh1n3sMay 16, 2011
This movie was amazing. It's incredibly well acted and written. It gets branded as the socially awkward nerd movie (and being one probably helps) but it's really about all of Gen Y. If you missed it when it was in theaters you need to see it.
TSudNov 2, 2010
The accuracy of this film to true events is a matter I have heard being discussed lately but also one I deliberately chose to ignore. I accepted this film for what it is: verisimilitude, somewhere in between fiction and non-fiction. What weThe accuracy of this film to true events is a matter I have heard being discussed lately but also one I deliberately chose to ignore. I accepted this film for what it is: verisimilitude, somewhere in between fiction and non-fiction. What we are left with is a captivating story with substantial characters and engrossing on-screen interrelationships. A scene which really made in impact on me is the opening scene with Jesse Eisenberg's and Rooney Mara's characters. Jesse Eisenberg's dialog immediately shows him to be an intelligent but socially inept person perfectly introducing him as a questionable character. Questionable because throughout the movie I was asking myself: is he arrogant or ignorant? Is he really the anti-hero or is he easily led, unaware of the emotions of others? The sequence of events is sometimes non-linear, especially so in the beginning section but I found interpreting the different scenes involved me actively in the movie and was refreshing.
This was a movie about a phenomena that has touched every one of us (even those who don't have Facebook know what it is!) and, even though some may debate about whether it really tells the tale, it was a brilliant movie, entertaining and inspiring.
LamontRaymondOct 2, 2010
I'm not sure whether it was too much hype, or that massive 97 on Metacritic, but this movie simply didn't live up to my expectations. It was NEARLY as good as Pulp Fiction, or The Hurt Locker, or Shawshank, or other seminal movies thatI'm not sure whether it was too much hype, or that massive 97 on Metacritic, but this movie simply didn't live up to my expectations. It was NEARLY as good as Pulp Fiction, or The Hurt Locker, or Shawshank, or other seminal movies that defined the last decade or so. It was a really good story, and it brought me in, but it lacked a little something. At the end of the film, I just wanted "more." Rooney Mara is awesome, and I look forward to seeing her in Dragon Tattoo, and the "twins" are hilarious. Timberlake was hyped too much - he was just serviceable. See it, but moderate your expectations, people. Expand
TheCritic1Aug 9, 2011
Wow! What a film. My favourite since Avatar. Eissenberg is great, and Andrew Garfield is also great as Eduardo. I would recommend it to anyone. A must see!
RonaldOVOXOFeb 7, 2012
Top 10 Movies of all time. The movie of how facebook was created. Its a classic. Loved the plot. i loved every thing on here this a very classical movie a one u wont regret
RyanGeeOct 1, 2010
The Social Network is not simply a movie, but an experience of eclectic elements of great movie-making. Director Dave Fincher and writer Aaron Sorkin's depiction of the roots of social networking site Facebook is an engrossing film that notThe Social Network is not simply a movie, but an experience of eclectic elements of great movie-making. Director Dave Fincher and writer Aaron Sorkin's depiction of the roots of social networking site Facebook is an engrossing film that not only defines the current technology-based generation, but sets film standards of brilliant writing and film structure.

Fincher and Sorkin's film tells the fascinating story of Mark Zuckenburg and how he made a small idea into the billion dollar corporation Facebook. The story is shown through flashbacks and flash-forwards, simultaneously addressing the lawsuits made towards Zuckenburg, and the dark and gritty story of the formation of Facebook. While the accusations of Zuckenburg's thievery of intellectual property are in tact, many of the film's details are debatable.

The incertitude of Zuckerburg's story is what makes this film works. Portrayed by Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Zuckerburg's ambiguous character is the film's focus and what makes it so appealing. Is Zuckburg driven by the rejection of his girlfriend (Rooney Mara), or is it superficially the thought of money? The character's innocent and snooty manner is a mystery that establishes this film. Eisenberg gives the performance of his life as he puts so much depth in the character and raises so many questions.

Supporting Eisenberg is Andrew Garfield, who I once again have to give praise. After seeing a powerful performance from Garfield in Never Let Me Go, his role as Zuckerburg's co-founder really shows his ability to take on diverse roles. Garfield gives an accurate portrayal of a deceived friend, and the subtlety that he puts into his performance is mesmerizing.

What gives the characters this type of depth is Aaron Sorkin's Oscar-worthy screenplay. I cannot recall a film with this much witty and movie-driving dialogue. I can not emphasize the film's screenplay brilliance, it really gives the film reality, depth, and entertainment value. Resulting from the script, the plot is fast-paced and addicting; It keeps the audience curious and occupied for the whole movie. But while the plot and script are almost perfect, there is an absence of a big moment. The movie is no doubt intense, but there are no moments that standout from the overall film; There is no buildup of emotions in a single scene, something I believe a perfect film should have.

The Social Network is a movie that many will look back as a defining 21st century work of art. Overall, Fincher's film is modern, provocative, and technically flawless. The Oscar race has started, and the writing in The Social Network will be hard to beat.
NECKICENov 14, 2010
David FIncher is back to being Fincherian after his sappy Benjamin Button (thanks to a Sorkin script, too!). Any film which opens with The White Stripes am be good.
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 22, 2010
The film's premise as a movie about the world's most popular social networking site can quickly leave many people astray. But it just comes to show that writing about a website, something that hasn't really been done before, can actuallyThe film's premise as a movie about the world's most popular social networking site can quickly leave many people astray. But it just comes to show that writing about a website, something that hasn't really been done before, can actually become one of the most dramatic, funniest, and intelligent stories ever told. David Fincher takes the rising star Jesse Eisenberg, and the platinum selling artist Justin Timberlake, a team of not well known actors, and an intelligent script. What does this equal? Ultimate Perfection. The script is what drives this film into the best movie of the year, with the cast as a bonus. David Fincher keeps all the drama extremely factual. It takes you on a journey from Facebook's roots, to what it's become today. Mark Zuckerberg is shown as the #1 betraying asset in this film. By the end, it's not clear whether you should feel sorry for Zuckerberg, or forget him and just admire his interactive creation which 500 million people use on a regular basis. Expand
dubbleqJan 14, 2011
The social newtwork is without a doubt the best movie i have ever seen in my whole life. Eisenberg has an oscar winning performance, justin timberlake is fantastic, and the overall movie is by far the best movie of the year
lherman22Jan 3, 2012
I enjoyed this. Didn't want to at first, but I liked it. The subject matter didn't seem like it would be interesting, but the angle they took on Zuckerberg made it so.
OscarPicks2010Nov 29, 2010
Interestingly enough, Hollywood had decided to make a movie about a boring subject, the making of Facebook. The story was supposed to be just a mess with lawsuits and betrayal of friends. But writer Aaron Sorkin turned the story into aInterestingly enough, Hollywood had decided to make a movie about a boring subject, the making of Facebook. The story was supposed to be just a mess with lawsuits and betrayal of friends. But writer Aaron Sorkin turned the story into a must-see of the decade. He turned it into a witty, fast-paced, thrilling, and an Oscar-winning script. Luckily, The Social Network got David Fincher (Curious Case of Benjamin Button) as a director, which makes it even better. David Fincher's achievement in this film is going to score him another Oscar nod. (Fincher is directing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, English version, my favorite book). The actual Facebook story is about Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), a Harvard undergraduate (computer genius), who wrote the code for the Facebook website. Teaming up with him was him roomate Eduardo Saverin, whom later sued him for... well lots of **** Mark ran into playboy Sean Parker who convinced Mark to "betray" his partner (Eduardo), that's what lead to the law suit. Though people say Aaron Sorkin's script is an inaccurate potray of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who in real life is down to Earth and not an **** like in the story, I say he was just trying to make the story A LITTLE more interesting than it already is (sarcasm). Aaron Sorkin not only made the story more interesting, he made it smarter and more thrilling. Performance wise? I will have to admit that I think The Social Network will dominate the Oscars in the acting categories. Jesse Eisenberg gave one hell of a performance! Since he had been playing a loser-with-no-girlfriend kind of guy, this is really typical for him. His fast talking and annoying ass attitude really stole every scene that the camera sets on him. Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake also gave fine, dramatic performances which MIGHT earn them an Oscar nod. But in terms of Jesse Eisenberg, he is guaranteed an Oscar nomination (he might even win considering there is no other good movies this time of year). Directing, writing, and acting all great in one movie is rare (to say the least). The Social Network succeeds in every assets that the film was trying to achieve. Expand
iluvmoviesJan 14, 2011
This movie is the bomb. A true inspirational movie that shows how life can be in college if you are someone special. A flawless movie and a great drama. A must watch.
nutterjrNov 17, 2010
Click to connect! With assured performances by the the whole cast ensemble but particularly those of Eisenberg (playing the socially immature geek that reinvented the way people connect socially over the web) and Garfield, mature directingClick to connect! With assured performances by the the whole cast ensemble but particularly those of Eisenberg (playing the socially immature geek that reinvented the way people connect socially over the web) and Garfield, mature directing from Fincher (one of the most gifted directors of our time) and a razor sharp script by Sorkin, it is a film that will stand out in the upcoming awards race. Everything clicked into place and I surely connected. Expand
jeanrenoirOct 6, 2010
The Social Network is a good movie, not a great one. A great movie, a 10, is The Lives of Others, Tokyo Story, The Leopard--films like that. That said, a key reason The Social Network is so over-praised, and many viewers and critics are soThe Social Network is a good movie, not a great one. A great movie, a 10, is The Lives of Others, Tokyo Story, The Leopard--films like that. That said, a key reason The Social Network is so over-praised, and many viewers and critics are so thrilled by it, is because so many viewers and critics of the film, critics especially, are bi-coastal Jews who are thrilled by the film's story about a "meritocratic" Jewish "genius" at Harvard who screws the WASP Porcellian aristos, whose club he could no more join than jump over the moon, out of the profits for their own idea by stealing it. It's the ethnic and class politics that make the film over-rated the way Sophie's Choice, a good but not great film too, also was. David Denby in The New Yorker even calls Zuckerberg a "hero." Of what? Moxie? Chutzpah? By that standard, Madoff was a super-hero. At the same time, the film itself seems almost a critical meditative allegory of the way the battle for money and status in America that Jews have had to wage, by hook or by crook, against the once-dominant, anti-Semitic, and exclusionary WASP upper-class has warped some Jews and undermined the moral values of both the Jewish religion and secular Jewish humanism. In fact, Zuckerberg in the film is the most negative image of a Jew in a mainstream American film I can recall. He's an arrogant, creepy, borderline sociopathic jerk, with no evident ethical principles at all. He happily stabs his Jewish only friend in the back right along with the WASPs. He's a sort of Shylock of software, but much less ambiguous morally and humanly than Shakespeare's great creation. He makes Sammy Glick look like nothing. Sorkin and Rudin seem deeply interested in the cost of the Jewish race for wealth and status in Madoff's America. A timely theme indeed, and one that must be especially pertinent for Hollywood insiders like them. For unethical Jews from Madoff to Zuckerberg, America seems to have been closer to Babylon than Jerusalem, and this is a point well worth making in a film like The Social Network. Zuckerberg is a sort of book-end with Dustin Hoffman's breakthrough role for Jews in The Graduate forty five years ago. That Mike Nichols film cheered, and we all cheered with it, as Ben stole Katherine Ross from the Berkeley WASPy golden boy at the Christian altar itself. It was about time that Jews won victories like that in America with hustle and character (vs. the WASP's frat boy entitled vapidity). But instead of presenting a likable Jewish hero at odds with "plastics," The Social Network gives us a total jerk unredeemed by his clumsy geekiness, a thief who seems to personify the cost in corruption of forty years of endless, relentless striving by Jews on the make like Zuckerberg in Madoff's America. Expand
BentleyDOct 28, 2010
The bottom line...this film is exceptional. The quality of acting was much higher than I had expected from such a young cast. This isn't the last we will see of Jesse Eisenberg. He has proven to be a good actor and is much moreThe bottom line...this film is exceptional. The quality of acting was much higher than I had expected from such a young cast. This isn't the last we will see of Jesse Eisenberg. He has proven to be a good actor and is much more multidimensional then we could have ever imagined. . He has solidified his place in the film industry and I'm excited to see what he will be working on next. The dialogue keeps the audience enthralled at all times, and it never seemed to drag along. The depiction of college life was fairly accurate, but often fell short. Even if you are the most counter-cultural person alive, you would appreciate the quality of this film. I must stress that this isn't a film about how great Facebook is, its an epic story of a young entrepreneur, fighting for a place at the top, through any means necessary. Expand
Willtest100Nov 2, 2010
Pretty good movie. Saw it with freinds and everyone liked it. Definitely worth seeing and would recommend it. I liked the actors too. It made me feel bad for Eduardo though. He seems to have gotten a rough deal.
mjichaelNov 4, 2010
This movie is fantastically entertaining and captivating. I was totally swept away and forgot I was even watching a movie! My favorite movie of the year. It has been a long time since I walked out of a cinema feeling this satisfied.This movie is fantastically entertaining and captivating. I was totally swept away and forgot I was even watching a movie! My favorite movie of the year. It has been a long time since I walked out of a cinema feeling this satisfied. Technically brilliant, interesting characters and popular culture. Could one ask for any more? Expand
boneMay 10, 2011
The best movie of 2010. It's a great story. Both funny and dramatic. Well shot. Well cast. Great music.
L0stR3negadeMar 26, 2011
I can't remember the last time i have seen a good "based on a true story" movie. This is great and i can just watch it over and over again!!! The critics did not lie
j30Sep 22, 2011
A movie for our generation. A very smart thrill ride, that doesn't need special effects or explosions. It's a "no he didn't" type a picture that deservesevery bit recognition it has received. From the Directing (David Fincher, I forgive youA movie for our generation. A very smart thrill ride, that doesn't need special effects or explosions. It's a "no he didn't" type a picture that deservesevery bit recognition it has received. From the Directing (David Fincher, I forgive you for Benjamin Button), right down to the awesome score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Expand
adhibanAug 23, 2011
The Social Network, this film is not about FACEBOOK. This film visualises the mediocrity of man thriving to attain success in his life with a normal conscience as everyone possessed in a run-of-the-mill life. Actually David Fincher sculpturesThe Social Network, this film is not about FACEBOOK. This film visualises the mediocrity of man thriving to attain success in his life with a normal conscience as everyone possessed in a run-of-the-mill life. Actually David Fincher sculptures a mirror which reflects the prevailing situation of this competitive world. When we can heed through this mirror, we can also see us. This is more than a masterpiece. Expand
JawsPapi87Aug 10, 2011
This movie is realistic, incredibly entertaining and bursting with incredible performances especially from Andrew Garfield and Jesse Eisenberg. The thing that is pretty remarkable about his character is that he's arrogant and unlikable whichThis movie is realistic, incredibly entertaining and bursting with incredible performances especially from Andrew Garfield and Jesse Eisenberg. The thing that is pretty remarkable about his character is that he's arrogant and unlikable which the movie makes clear but you still sort of root for him. At least I did. The editing also works very well with the events that lead up to the lawsuit being recalled and flashing back to the meeting every once in a while. One of the best movies of 2010 Expand
meediocreDec 20, 2011
Forget Facebook. I couldn't careless about the social-networking phenomenon that seems to be intent on pulling every living soul into its piracy-eroding clutches. For me this is well acted, directed and scripted story about a geek thatForget Facebook. I couldn't careless about the social-networking phenomenon that seems to be intent on pulling every living soul into its piracy-eroding clutches. For me this is well acted, directed and scripted story about a geek that stumbles upon his own never-ending supply of gold. Couldn't careless about the historical accuracies. I was thoroughly entertained, and will watch again sometime soon. Expand
TselDec 27, 2011
Originally, I had little to no expectations to this movie as to me, it was simply known as "The Facebook Movie". I knew next to nothing about the cast, plot, or any other important detail so I essentially went into the movie on a whim, justOriginally, I had little to no expectations to this movie as to me, it was simply known as "The Facebook Movie". I knew next to nothing about the cast, plot, or any other important detail so I essentially went into the movie on a whim, just based on the fact that my girlfriend had wanted to see it. By the end, I was blown away and it had instantly become one of my favorite films of all-time. Jessie Eisenberg establishes himself as the front-man, while Andrew Garfield also portrays a role that shows all of his assets appropriately. I'm seeing scores of 1 and 2 by users here and I'm sorry, but if you give this movie that low of a score, you're obviously not intellectual enough to understand it. This movie is so elegant and deep that you cannot help but fall in love with it. A true classic of our time and it will remain that way forever. Expand
Bullet97Oct 1, 2010
This movie is amazing! David Fincher selivers yet another masterpiece! The story of facebook is perfectly told by fabulous writing, great directing, and captivating performances!! See this movie now!!
mrcriticOct 1, 2010
Intelligent, great acting, and an interesting story about what really happened inside Facebook.
HrodwulfOct 1, 2010
The best movie this year.
I loved the tempo, the omnilogues, the brashness, the soundtrack, the story, the screenplay, the realism, and the well depicted volatility of our current social and capitalistic systems.
I will probably see a
The best movie this year.
I will probably see a showing again.
Don't believe the hype - then go see it.
TheBigBadBURTNov 19, 2010
A fantastic movie. Brilliantly written with a good mixture of drama and comedy that never gets boring. Jesse Eisenberg does a great job in the role of Mark Zuckerberg. A definite must see.
Island7Oct 9, 2010
A very good movie. Very interesting to see. Puts the way I perceive Facebook in a different light.
dannyboy057Oct 12, 2010
This movie has got to be one of the smartest, most clever movies that I have seen all year. I was actually really surprised about how well done The Social Network really was. A good 2 hours long, it didn't feel like it was endless, but itThis movie has got to be one of the smartest, most clever movies that I have seen all year. I was actually really surprised about how well done The Social Network really was. A good 2 hours long, it didn't feel like it was endless, but it left me wanting more. The acting was generally good, but the movie's strength comes from its incredible screenplay and it's brilliant direction. From Alien 3 and Fight club to Zodiac and Benjamin Button, David Fincher has come a long way, and all of that hard work has paid off with a near-flawless film. The shots in The Social Network are just beautiful, and the cleverly ingenious writer should be commended. I can definitely say that this year's Oscar's ceremony will be a no-brainer! Expand
ThorOct 4, 2010
Everything about this film is phenomenal. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, and literally anything else you can think of. I actually cannot think of anything I didn't love about this movie. This is the most satisfied I've everEverything about this film is phenomenal. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, and literally anything else you can think of. I actually cannot think of anything I didn't love about this movie. This is the most satisfied I've ever been after seeing a movie in theaters, and I highly recommend it to anyone. Expand
EvanSOct 7, 2010
Aside from some fancy crane shots, the story is like a really good extended episode of The West WIng. As metacritic goes aren't 100s meant for stories that are more significant than the origins of Facebook?
imhoOct 16, 2010
Amazingly satisfying film in every aspect. Acting, writing, directing, and production. The first scene will go down as a classic scene. Lots of very satisfying scenes. A fascinating main character.
olympiansOct 18, 2010
This is an absolutely brilliant film which grabs your attention within the first 5 minutes and does not let go of you until the closing credits, no mean feat considering the subject matter. Jesse Eisenberg is perfect in the role of the veryThis is an absolutely brilliant film which grabs your attention within the first 5 minutes and does not let go of you until the closing credits, no mean feat considering the subject matter. Jesse Eisenberg is perfect in the role of the very bright yet (very) gauche and socially inept young Mark Zuckenberg. He knows just how to play this kind of character, he did it so well a few years back in "The squid and the whale" . In my opinion this film is, in many ways, the perfect film: great cast, great dialogue, plenty of character development and above all exciting. Expand
arziankorpenDec 19, 2010
It's a perfect movie. The characters have been developed fully to a point where all are human, no good and evil, only gray areas. The screenplay is just so incredible and fun, and the way the movie is done fits perfectly with the way theIt's a perfect movie. The characters have been developed fully to a point where all are human, no good and evil, only gray areas. The screenplay is just so incredible and fun, and the way the movie is done fits perfectly with the way the speak, everything fast and smart not a moment wasted. Expand
ZorglyJan 12, 2011
One of the most entertaining true stories ever put in theaters. It's Intelligent funny, and with some surprisingly powerful moments. Jesse Eisenberg is sure to receive an Oscar nomination. David Fincher ads another classic to his alreadyOne of the most entertaining true stories ever put in theaters. It's Intelligent funny, and with some surprisingly powerful moments. Jesse Eisenberg is sure to receive an Oscar nomination. David Fincher ads another classic to his already impressive repertoire. Expand
FrozenStar90Oct 2, 2010
"The Social Network" flawlessly captures the essence of what a film should be. A smart screenplay, brilliant direction, and absolutely stunning performances from the cast come together to form the best film in a long time. I seriously cannot"The Social Network" flawlessly captures the essence of what a film should be. A smart screenplay, brilliant direction, and absolutely stunning performances from the cast come together to form the best film in a long time. I seriously cannot get over how amazing the cast is. It's like nothing you've ever seen before. A tragedy of the highest order. Go see this movie. Now. Expand
JammerjointOct 2, 2010
Extraordinary. Charging forward with a relentless pace, this film is one of few that can be witty, evocative, thrilling, and unpredictable all at once. Fincher unveils his masterpiece: a film to immortalize the dynamism of the coming 21stExtraordinary. Charging forward with a relentless pace, this film is one of few that can be witty, evocative, thrilling, and unpredictable all at once. Fincher unveils his masterpiece: a film to immortalize the dynamism of the coming 21st century. The dialogue is too perfect, without being too pretentious. For once the protagonist is reprehensible and not unrealistically detached. The choice opening and ending tie up the piece flawlessly, remarking on the small things that motivate us to do do the big things. This is an exhilarating exploration of ambition and its consequences. Expand
whitOct 5, 2010
The movie basically consists of nothing but scene after scene of people sitting in a room talking-- and it is absolutely fascinating. My only complaint is that I wish it had gone on for another hour.
NeilieoOct 11, 2010
It captures the essence of our time flawlessly. The part that was strongest for me was that even for Zuckerburg, who is somewhat of an enigma, the movie shows that he like everyone else is human and that the most popular website today wasIt captures the essence of our time flawlessly. The part that was strongest for me was that even for Zuckerburg, who is somewhat of an enigma, the movie shows that he like everyone else is human and that the most popular website today was founded off the simplest human emotions. Expand
AJackson729Feb 19, 2011
The film does a wonderful job of showing us the real "Mark Zukerberg" while Jesse Eisenberg is fantastic in that role. As previous reviewers have mentioned, this is a film about human interaction, as opposed to a film about Facebook. YouThe film does a wonderful job of showing us the real "Mark Zukerberg" while Jesse Eisenberg is fantastic in that role. As previous reviewers have mentioned, this is a film about human interaction, as opposed to a film about Facebook. You don't have to be familiar with Facebook to enjoy this incredible film. Expand
DavidPOct 7, 2010
Hooray! A smart and fast paced film, and the best cast film I've ever seen! Sorkins words are clever and spellbinding and written for people with a few IQ points in their heads.
TomdupOct 1, 2010
On the cab ride home, Linda uttered heresy by wondering aloud whether Facebook would still be king of the hill, or even around at all, in, say, ten years. Or, she got me to thinking, would it just twitter away in time, leaving nothing but,On the cab ride home, Linda uttered heresy by wondering aloud whether Facebook would still be king of the hill, or even around at all, in, say, ten years. Or, she got me to thinking, would it just twitter away in time, leaving nothing but, mm, lipstick traces, the wispy remains of once-mighty passing trends like CompuServe, MySpace, Blockbuster, or Barnes & Noble? All we know is this one is a hi-def snapshot of right now. Don't worry. This is greatness. Expand
JohnQPublicDec 27, 2010
This movie on paper should be a pessimistic disaster but somehow is handled perfectly. It had the light writing/director touch that made a movie like American Beauty work so well. See it.
AndrewUltimateOct 20, 2010
Let me just start by saying that just about everything about this movie is mind-blowing and incredible. With a strong soundtrack by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, the music goes perfectly with the concept of the picture. The screenplay andLet me just start by saying that just about everything about this movie is mind-blowing and incredible. With a strong soundtrack by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, the music goes perfectly with the concept of the picture. The screenplay and dialogue are excellent, and Mark & Eduardo both are played by good actors. Based on this movie, you could say that Mark Zuckerberg is a punk-genius-traitor-prophet-billionaire. Expand
FromTheMiddleNov 13, 2010
"The Social Network" introduces the audience to the main character -- and the speed and originality of the dialog reflecting the speed and originality of the changes portrayed -- in the opening exchange and never looks back...while"The Social Network" introduces the audience to the main character -- and the speed and originality of the dialog reflecting the speed and originality of the changes portrayed -- in the opening exchange and never looks back...while constantly looking back. Just go along for the high-speed ride and a fascinating portrayal of today's brilliant young entrepreneurs and a slice of today's business world. The casting is excellent, the dialog is highly entertaining, and the story feels as real as it maybe is. Expand
Aidoneus1Oct 22, 2010
The Social Network completely deserves its excellent Metascore. Everything about this movie was just done so well, it still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. The acting was top-notch, the direction was superb, and the interweavingThe Social Network completely deserves its excellent Metascore. Everything about this movie was just done so well, it still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. The acting was top-notch, the direction was superb, and the interweaving of scenes from the hearings with the often-gritty founding of Facebook serves the movie very well.

I honestly can't think of anything that could have been done better. I was a bit iffy when I saw that Justin Timberlake had a somewhat important role in the movie, but I'm pleased to say that he pulled off his part remarkably well, and his character adds a fun though naughty edge and hilarity to the movie.
istroller2010Nov 15, 2010
It is a place that we lovingly look over, from within the glass-walled offices or the comforts of home or amid the hustle-bustle of an eatery, or in a vehicle on the move. It straddles bits of a social life within â
littlemanp32Nov 17, 2010
Great Movie... sorkin's style is genius, and i feel that anyone who didn't like the dialogue just had a hard time keeping up or didn't get the jokes.
TheGorillaJan 13, 2011
it's a good movie, but, i expected more when i read the reviews but, never mind. The dialog and the script were great. they were beyond great. the characters are likable and Jesse Eisenberg did a great job. it sure was hard to act that role.it's a good movie, but, i expected more when i read the reviews but, never mind. The dialog and the script were great. they were beyond great. the characters are likable and Jesse Eisenberg did a great job. it sure was hard to act that role. well, it's worth seeing i guess.. Expand
OfficialCarloNov 26, 2010
The Social Network is a good movie because it retells how FACEBOOK came to existence and it is artistically done. In the movie, we can really see true emotions of the character. Well, everyone needs to watch this because no one can retell howThe Social Network is a good movie because it retells how FACEBOOK came to existence and it is artistically done. In the movie, we can really see true emotions of the character. Well, everyone needs to watch this because no one can retell how the movie flows. Expand
PipinownsNov 30, 2010
Excellent film. The magnificent dialogue carries the movie, as Fincher takes a new "less is more approach" to his directing style. One of the best of the year.
Schmit93Jan 13, 2011
This is a movie with amazing acting and an amazing script. I'll admit that it's not all that exciting, but the fast paced script and I'd say Oscar potential acting by Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield it'll keep you entertained. It is a tadThis is a movie with amazing acting and an amazing script. I'll admit that it's not all that exciting, but the fast paced script and I'd say Oscar potential acting by Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield it'll keep you entertained. It is a tad overhyped, but it is still great Expand
EinardurJan 26, 2011
THE SOCIAL NETWORK, the new film about Mark Zuckenberg and his co-founders of Facebook, has amounted great reviews and been hailed by many as the film of 2010, and even I, as a skeptic from the start, have to say that it is a brilliant movie.THE SOCIAL NETWORK, the new film about Mark Zuckenberg and his co-founders of Facebook, has amounted great reviews and been hailed by many as the film of 2010, and even I, as a skeptic from the start, have to say that it is a brilliant movie. This not only out of its mastery of film craft such as use of music, editing, cinematography, acting, story and dialog - but also because of its timing. It's released at a time when everybody everywhere knows exactly what it's about; people watching the film are those in reality involved in the film's plot. The screenplay written by Aaron Sorkin is great, and this albeit it revolves around a story that would be fairly difficult if it hadn't been so entertainingly and intelligently written. As a viewer one watches a computer-programmer work out his mind to become the number one internet phenomena of this century, and as fore-mentioned writer Sorkin moves fast, and one has to stay focused throughout to get the entire momentum. The film feels cold, cynical and detached, much like Zuckenberg acts (greatly by Jesse Eisenberg), but it's singularly about something that gathers, interests and matters - Facebook. So there is naturally something very emotional and very human about the entire personification of numbers, codes and data as it has our name, picture and bio in it. The irony of the story is bleak and sad; it opens with Zuckerberg seated in a crowded university bar chatting intensely (to say the least) with a girl, and ends with him alone, almost blankly introspective, tapping nocturnally on the page he created - it's the man who owns the world, but sold his soul. Expand
MrC3030Jan 31, 2011
By far the best film I saw this year!!! Great storyline, great acting, and well written. Excellent performance by Jesse Eisenberg, who is my picked for best actor this year! Out of the 10 up for Best Picture, Social Network was the one movieBy far the best film I saw this year!!! Great storyline, great acting, and well written. Excellent performance by Jesse Eisenberg, who is my picked for best actor this year! Out of the 10 up for Best Picture, Social Network was the one movie that delivery and all fronts!!! Excellent film!!! A must see!!! Expand
HEI5ENBERGFeb 13, 2011
Okay I thought The Social Network was a really great movie! This is the only movie in years I've seen twice in a week, so that tells me something! I found it better the second time round! I love movies that have great dialogue. JesseOkay I thought The Social Network was a really great movie! This is the only movie in years I've seen twice in a week, so that tells me something! I found it better the second time round! I love movies that have great dialogue. Jesse Eisenberg was excellent at playing Mark Zuckerberg he made the techno jargon, that I don't understand, sound good! You don't have to be a member of Facebook to enjoy this movie! The way the movie is edited is excellent! I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone. Expand
MarcDoyleOct 4, 2010
It's clearly a good movie, but one of the all-time greats? Not even close. It's probably my favorite Fincher movie, but that doesn't say much because I didn't like Fight Club or Benjamin Button all that much. And Sorkin did better work onIt's clearly a good movie, but one of the all-time greats? Not even close. It's probably my favorite Fincher movie, but that doesn't say much because I didn't like Fight Club or Benjamin Button all that much. And Sorkin did better work on West Wing and a Few Good Men. The story is interesting, but nowhere near techie stories like Sneakers. The Winklevoss brothers are hilarious, Rooney Mara is a revelation, and Mark's best friend (the future "Spider-Man") is terrific. But it didn't come together to make a movie that I felt was amazing when it was over. I remember walking out The Hurt Locker, or Pulp Fiction, or even The Animal Kingdom this year - I had a massive smile on my face and a very "complete" feeling in my heart. This one was simply interesting. The final line delivered by Miss Jones (the a**hole line) didn't seem to have much impact with me. It was all very clever, but not extraordinarily significant in the scheme of things. Expand
DarkCriticOct 3, 2010
The most dramatic movie of all time! The Social Network tells the story about a young college student from Harvard named,Mark Zuckerberg who wanted to create a website for socialize people around the world called Facebook. This is the perfectThe most dramatic movie of all time! The Social Network tells the story about a young college student from Harvard named,Mark Zuckerberg who wanted to create a website for socialize people around the world called Facebook. This is the perfect film for having some great lines and great dialog,and it has a cool dark setting like a Fincher's groundbreaking scenes,like Se7en,Fight Club,and my personally favorite film of all time,The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Jesse Eisenberg did marvelous job as the character who created Facebook,he's mysterious,fast talking,and smart at the same time. Andrew Garfield did really good in the role,he's charming and he's smooth personality like the other actors. Justin Timberlake did a marvelously supportive job as Sean Parker and that's saying alot for the pop singer. The cast did good roles for the story and it has talking lines between the story and how they focus really clever about they explain how the people who created Facebook and we need show how Facebook became so popular for the website. This is the winner of the best filmaking film about how actors did marvelously job and how they had beautifully chemistry for this movie. It's a nice movie and for all the users in Facebook must love this movie and we wanted to thank the creators who invented the Facebook to socialize and have friends in the same time. Enjoy! Expand
Dajbman22Oct 7, 2010
I sense a bit of a Dark Knight effect happening here... The Social Network was a solid, entertaining movie with some great acting and scripting. It is probably one of the best films this year, but that speaks more about the quality of 2010I sense a bit of a Dark Knight effect happening here... The Social Network was a solid, entertaining movie with some great acting and scripting. It is probably one of the best films this year, but that speaks more about the quality of 2010 cinema than this particular film. Hence the 7/10, not the prefect scores going around this circle-jerk. I liked Sorkin's dialogue, and the opening sequence could not have been penned by anyone else, but I felt it was a bit forced (made it a bit harder to emotionally connect with the characters). Honestly, Fincher did not impress me on this film; cinematography was above average and the movie was very clean, but it didn't have that ability to move me that many better-directed films have. I can't put my finger on what was missing, but I know it wasn't quite right. I know a lot of people loved the rowing scene in England, but I honestly found it forced, too removed from the style of the rest of the film, and completely superfluous. It was masterfully and professionally shot and edited, but I feel the choice to do it at all was amateurish (analogous to the pod race scene in Episode 1). I was also irked by the subplots that faded off and just disappeared (like all of Saverin's personal life issues and Zuckerberg's disappearing Asian girlfriend). I also was a bit disappointed that Fincher/Sorkin decided to go with the "it was all for the one who got away" theme/ending, it is clearly added just for dramatic/emotional weight, but it does not deliver on it's intended purpose, it just adds cheese to the film. Other than those specific grievances, this was a great film. I know I focused more on the negative than the positive, but I think every other critic (professional and not) did enough of that for me. The Social Network is a strong, entertaining, emotive, and intellectually stimulating film. It will be remembered. That in mind, I do not see it as the defining film of my generation nor even my generation's Citizen Kane (which I get the feeling is what the filmmakers were attempting to create with this piece). Expand
LCWOct 2, 2010
Finally a movie that lived up to the hype. The whole deal - story, script, acting, directing (especially the intensity of the pace) and music were amazing. Do yourself a favor and don't miss this one.

LCW
smijatovFeb 27, 2011
"The Social Network" is the most surprising good film of the year for me - who would have thought that the story about the guy who created Facebook would be so interesting and captivating? Wow. Simply great film! The directing is very smooth"The Social Network" is the most surprising good film of the year for me - who would have thought that the story about the guy who created Facebook would be so interesting and captivating? Wow. Simply great film! The directing is very smooth and Fincher just does excellent work (once again) and proves to be one of the most talented directors currently. Obviously, working with such a young cast must have been challenging, and they all did a splendid job, especially Eisenberg, whose fan I never was until now (well, I'm still not a 'fan fan'). The rather captivating and interesting story was well crafted by Aaron Sorkin and excellently edited, in film editing that has not been so good in years, really. All around, The Social Network is definitely an excellent film and provides us insights into the importance of friendship, morals and the drive to succeed and what all can come out of it - excellence in reality as well as on screen. Expand
ShiiraOct 7, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's not the eighties anymore, that's resoundingly clear, because if it was, Mark Zuckerberg(Jesse Eisenberg) would have to turn off his computer and row crew just like the Winklevoss twins, then somehow beat them; he and Eduardo Saverin(Andrew Garfield), his best friend, along with a bunch of other social misfits at the Henley Royal Regatta. This was the old template for the nerd redemption storyline; this was the dark ages, way back before computers were cool, so in order for the nerds to change their fortunes, they'd have to win some sort of competition against their adversaries. In Jeff Canew's "Revenge of the Nerds", starring Robert Carradine and Anthony Edwards(as Lewis Skolnick and Gilbert Lowe, respectively), the charter members of Lambda Lambda Lambda took first place at the Adams College Greek Games by defeating the other campus fraternities, most importantly, their arch-nemesis, the Alpha-Betas, and needless to say, writing code while intermittently taking shots is not one of the compulsory events. When Lewis and Gilbert first arrive at the prestigious(but fictional) school, they hang a poster of a computer on their dorm wall that reads, "The sky's the limit," words that are so unerring in its propheticness, they practically build a bridge to what could be considered its sister film, a pretty sister named "The Social Network", a film that documents the moment when "the meek," indeed does "inherit the earth". Case and point: the Crimson Red is facing the Dutch, not rowers captained by Mark, because now it's the jocks, in a cruel twist of faith, who have to play by the nerds' terms. The athletically ungifted never have to "man up" again. Nerds have come a long way since Ivan Reitman's "Meatballs", the Canadian indie with the original Rudy(played by Chris Makepeace), who runs a four-mile cross-country race that helps North Star defeat Mohawk in the camp's version of the Olympiad. Nerds can be ogres, too. When Mark steals the idea for Facebook from the Winklevoss twins, his kind loses the distinction of being underdogs. Nobody ever roots for the privileged white kids born with silver spoons in their mouths, but that's the subversive truth about "The Social Network"; the moviegoer roots for old money, the Harvard tradition, and WASPS. Whereas the moviegoer feels pity for Lewis and Gilbert as the Alpha Betas chant, "Nerds...nerds...nerds...," while the two computer enthusiasts file past the house for "jocks," and ironically enough, "...facemen," Mark Zuckerberg's comeuppance is anticipated with glee, once Cameron(Armie Hammer) decides to "gut the freakin' nerd," after they lose the regatta and learn that their intellectual property has gone on-line in England. "The Social Network" changes the underlying intimation of the moniker "nerd" when Erica(Rooney Mara) calls Mark an "a**hole," in which the nerd is no longer exclusive to the receiving end of the victimization cycle, since the nerd, now empowered by their consummate fluency in the cyberspace language, can buttress the giving end, as well. Mark Zuckerberg is not your father's, or grandfather's nerd. The youngest billionaire is nothing like Lewis, who can't believe his luck in landing a cheerleader(Betty Childs, as played by Julia Montgomrey), since the Facebook co-founder treats Erica horribly for attending an inferior school. He's no dogcatcher: ugly women and BU undergrads(the Terriers), need not apply. Lewis always has Gilbert's back, especially when his best friend gives a speech, albeit hamfisted, about "nerd persecution" in front of the student body. Earlier in "Revenge of the Nerds", Lewis and Gilbert watch in silence through an open window at the emblazoned letters that spell out "nerds" on their lawn, after the fraternity toasts Lambda Lambda Lambda's successful completion of its provisionary period. Conversely, Mark has a knife at Eduardo's back, but he doesn't know it yet, while a silk scarf that the CFO bought for his girlfriend, burns in a trashcan, in effigy, just like the KKK-style threat made by the Alpha Betas in the Kanew film. It reduces Eduardo to nerd status, a nerd with all the old associations connected to the appellation. A loser. Expand
G-PhoneOct 5, 2010
I give the movie a 7.5 to 8. Seeing all the '10's ' these reviews are from a younger audience than me. It seems from reading the reviews that this is " The Graduate" for the current times. It is not. It is relevant to the times but Face BookI give the movie a 7.5 to 8. Seeing all the '10's ' these reviews are from a younger audience than me. It seems from reading the reviews that this is " The Graduate" for the current times. It is not. It is relevant to the times but Face Book will probably be a memory in a decade. The themes are familiar. The movie was a lot better than I expected. It is well written and paced well. The characters particularly the lead are well cast and acted. There is no deep message here just a fun movie going event. grab some popcorn and enjoy. Expand
AudiowombatOct 6, 2010
If only all movies were written this well. Everyone walking in knows that its a story of Facebook's success. Most people walking in know that the main character is not such a nice guy. So I was curious to see if the movie could really beIf only all movies were written this well. Everyone walking in knows that its a story of Facebook's success. Most people walking in know that the main character is not such a nice guy. So I was curious to see if the movie could really be that engaging. And it is. Funny, sad, uncomfortable and entertaining.....with intense dialogue that keeps you focused and thinking and laughing and groaning. And most of the acting is really good as well. To quote the wise woman I was with, this movie is a bit like Wall Street of the current generation. Greed and dysfunctionality dancing together. Creative craziness is the new normal. See it. Expand
cockaigneOct 9, 2010
This movie was completely enjoyable. It is a must see - my favorite of the year. All aspects of the film were well done: writing, dialogue, character development, acting, plot, production. I found myself envying and despising Mark at the endThis movie was completely enjoyable. It is a must see - my favorite of the year. All aspects of the film were well done: writing, dialogue, character development, acting, plot, production. I found myself envying and despising Mark at the end of the film - a testament to the skill of writers and director. Expand
TVJerryOct 6, 2010
If you're going to have a movie that's primarily people talking, you'd better have a good writer. That's certainly the case here: Aaron Sorkin has crafted a witty, snappy and poignant story of Facebook's creation and the subsequent lawsuitsIf you're going to have a movie that's primarily people talking, you'd better have a good writer. That's certainly the case here: Aaron Sorkin has crafted a witty, snappy and poignant story of Facebook's creation and the subsequent lawsuits among its creators. Add the assured direction of David Fincher and solid performances from every actor. The result is a an enthralling examination of computer nerds, social jealousy and greed. A simply brilliant take on a remarkable phenomenon. Expand
zxcvbnm022Oct 3, 2010
absolutly loved the social network, great cast great writing and a great story being told. i would recomend seeing it to anyone. one of few movies i would give 10/10
espngy15Oct 4, 2010
The Social Network was an amazing movie. the actors were great. jesse eisenberg really showed himself in this movie. the guy who played enuardo was amazing to. i was astounded that this was PG-13. there was a lot of drinking and drugs. theyThe Social Network was an amazing movie. the actors were great. jesse eisenberg really showed himself in this movie. the guy who played enuardo was amazing to. i was astounded that this was PG-13. there was a lot of drinking and drugs. they actually showed coke on screen. justin timberlake did a great job. go see this movie Expand
danjakubikOct 5, 2010
I liked this, almost masterpiece of a film, very much indeed. It's very timely, intelligent and absorbing.
The intelligent screenplay has wit and scathing humor. Award nominations are due, for picture, director, screenplay, cinematography, film editing and Jesse Eisenberg's lead acting performance as billionaire facebook.com founder Mark Zuckerberg.
ThebangtrainOct 5, 2010
As far as I should not go to say I would give this film the title of "Movie of the Year", it has to be done. In my mind, "The Social Network" went further than "Inception" not in depth, but in pure talent, excitement, wit, and captivation.As far as I should not go to say I would give this film the title of "Movie of the Year", it has to be done. In my mind, "The Social Network" went further than "Inception" not in depth, but in pure talent, excitement, wit, and captivation. These weren't characters that were liked or disliked, it was characters that you could relate to off the bat. Eisenberg (Whom we all know from the acclaimed "Zombieland") rightfully deserves an Oscar for the portrayal of a genius who is as temperamental as he is flamboyant. Garfield could as well receive an Oscar for his supporting role, the business-savvy, intelligent, Eduardo Saverin, who without the character, the movie is not. He brings an attitude the movie that would be unforeseen beforehand. With great supporting characters such as the "Winklevi", Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss (Hammer), Sean Parker (Timberlake), and other programmers and friends that surround Zuckerberg in his daily ventures, this movie bring the new decade of the internet full circle, and greatly explains the hottest fad online over the past few years. Expand
MoViEgUyOct 5, 2010
I watched "The Social Network" the first day it came out and again the very next day because it was so amazingly good. Listen, I consider myself a pretty critical person when it comes to movies. I'm not going to invest 2 hours of my time onI watched "The Social Network" the first day it came out and again the very next day because it was so amazingly good. Listen, I consider myself a pretty critical person when it comes to movies. I'm not going to invest 2 hours of my time on a movie unless its nothing short of spectacular and most of the reviews I've read are very good. Well, "The Social Network" is in a league of its own! It's been four days since I've seen it and I CAN'T GET THE MOVIE OUT OF MY HEAD! I've never watched something where I was so satisfied from beginning to end. The acting, directing, screenplay, cinematography, score are all flawless. Jesse Eisenberg delivers the performance of a lifetime. He IS Mark Zuckerberg. And even though he comes across as a genius prick, part of you can't help but root for him. The rest of the cast are all fantastic, but its Eisenberg who makes the movie what it is. The dialogue in the movie is the best I seen since "Good Will Hunting", but I would have to say its even better. There aren't any dull moments. The pacing is incredible. I've never bought a soundtrack for a movie but Trent Reznor (score composer) convinced me otherwise. His music in the movie is haunting and genius. I can't recommend this movie enough! And btw, the fact that it is about Facebook is irrelevant. The themes concepts, and relationships make the movie what it is. So do yourself a favor and go see it NOW! Expand
ZombieFan281Oct 8, 2010
Very good movie; great cast. Highly Recommended. one of the few films that my ADD did not make me wounder else where. Great job to the JT and Jesse. Well done
bubbaOct 8, 2010
great movie! outstanding acting on Jesse's part and a great and intriguing story with good characters and scripting, go see this one, if your willing to pay attention and have the attention span of someone more than a 6-year old you will love it.
AlxanderrOct 9, 2010
A movie that truly helps define the ambitions of a new generation, and the conflicting ideals we as human beings have. After the movie is over, you are aware that it is dramatized, but the the sudden abstraction of what defines a humanA movie that truly helps define the ambitions of a new generation, and the conflicting ideals we as human beings have. After the movie is over, you are aware that it is dramatized, but the the sudden abstraction of what defines a human eliminates any criticism of its fantasy. Expand
JasonGoalieOct 10, 2010
Let's face it: the invention of a website does not naturally translate into exciting movie material. But the way this movie is presented - storytelling from multiple perspectives, present day-flashback devices etc. - turn it into a genuinelyLet's face it: the invention of a website does not naturally translate into exciting movie material. But the way this movie is presented - storytelling from multiple perspectives, present day-flashback devices etc. - turn it into a genuinely interesting, enormously entertaining experience from start to finish. I can't quite give it a 10 though becuase of a few nit-picks. The major problem appears to be the way the script translated to the screen. While the script was indeed brilliantly written, a ideal script should have the feel of a cast of different characters speaking for themselves. Unfortunately, when this script plays out, it sort of feels like a cast of characters speaking for the script-writer. I know, it's a minor detail, but this excellent movie could have been positively LEGENDARY with a bit more uniqueness in the characters, and character development. Also, when your protagonist is a billionaire, you really have to try harder to get your audience to feel sorry for him/her. Whether or not 'The Social Network' is fact or fiction, I didn't leave that theater feeling any empathy for Mark Zuckerberg. I know, it sounds like i hated this movie, but I assure you I really liked it. You will undoubtedly be entertained. Expand
AaronMOct 11, 2010
Overall, an interesting movie. BUT unless you either a) are a computer geek, b) have familiarity with depositions, or c) are just nostalgic for the days when you needed a college email address to even have a Facebook account, you probablyOverall, an interesting movie. BUT unless you either a) are a computer geek, b) have familiarity with depositions, or c) are just nostalgic for the days when you needed a college email address to even have a Facebook account, you probably won't find the movie entertaining. Luckily, I could kinda group myself in 2 out of the 3 catergories, lol. Expand
JamesNWAFeb 6, 2011
Credit where credit is due for David Fincher and all that were involved in this film. What essentially is a film where people sit around talking about the development of social networking side has turned out to be one of the best films of theCredit where credit is due for David Fincher and all that were involved in this film. What essentially is a film where people sit around talking about the development of social networking side has turned out to be one of the best films of the decade. I approached the film with skepticism and doubt that this would be any more than a boring film. I even questioned David Fincher's judgement when he decided to adapt Mark Zuckerberg's journey from his dorm to CEO of the biggest social networking site in Europe. People have critiqued the decision to cast Justin Timberlake but I felt he played his part perfectly. Jesse Eisenberg impressed me too. His portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg was amazing.

Overall, this is one of those films that by the end credits, you feel a little disappointed that it wasn't on for longer but 2 hours is long enough. A fantastic film and one in which I will recommend highly to all my friends and family.
scottmgOct 11, 2010
Blown away. I was skeptical about this movie from the very beginning, ever since I saw the trailer with "creep" playing in the background. I guess I was asking myself what many people were thinking. "How good can a movie about the creation ofBlown away. I was skeptical about this movie from the very beginning, ever since I saw the trailer with "creep" playing in the background. I guess I was asking myself what many people were thinking. "How good can a movie about the creation of Facebook be?" Snore...

However, if this turns you off, don't think of it as a movie about the creation of facebook, think of it as a movie contemplating what is right and wrong. Aaron Sorkin's script is masterfully written, the dialogue flows at an incredible speed (don't listen to David Eckstein, the guy is a dimwit and probably couldn't follow along), and the actors give an outstanding performance. Justin Timberlake...who knew? Bravo good sir, you do not need to make another record, I believe you have found your calling.

This film had me sucked in for the two hours, and it didn't even feel like that long, and I am really finding it hard to stop raving about this movie to friends who have not seen it yet. I can quite honestly say it is one of, if not THE best movie I have ever seen. 10/10 and Oscar nominations to follow. If you haven't yet, go see it.
TonyOct 11, 2010
A perfect film. Sharp writing and directing. Great performances. Haunting score. I can't say enough positive things about this. It is, at least so far, the movie of the year.
jim94028Oct 18, 2010
Very entertaining and interesting. Certainly doesn't let the facts get in the way of the story, but shows all sides of the inception of Facebook. The only movie that I remember ever to depict programming as anything vaguely related to actualVery entertaining and interesting. Certainly doesn't let the facts get in the way of the story, but shows all sides of the inception of Facebook. The only movie that I remember ever to depict programming as anything vaguely related to actual practice. Expand
SeesFineFilmsNov 24, 2010
@peopleofearth

@peopleofearth

This is quite simply, and quite easily, the best and most quintessentially [and simultaneously] sociable and isolable film of twentyten. Ben Mezrich beams! Aaron Sorkin soars! David Fincher ad-ministers! And Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake each deserve the Red Carpet treatment for their socially infectious performances! Jeff Cronenweth writes with the camera so impressively. The stunningly interesting score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is cerebrally viral and adds new grammar to cinema in the Age of Social Networking. The Social Network does two things beautifully: it boldly reflects all facets of our increasingly digital society and smugly, knowingly, provides the very sort slick social commentary required for pursuits of the modern, ever more global, social milieu. Don't miss it and plan to see it more than once. *wink!
filmgradNov 8, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a film about facebook. Nor is it a film about Mark Zuckerberg or a court case. It is a film about what friendship means today, and how the internet harnesses people's base inclination to objectify others, as well as utilize their assets for personal gain, especially in the area of artificial social reputation.
Zuckerberg never understood what it really meant to be friends. Being friends means others use you to get where they want. As he tells Erica Albright in the opening scene, if she is his girlfriend, she would get to meet people she wouldn't normally get to meet, and he would attain reputations he would not be able to reach, since he can't row crew, and since he isn't part of a fraternity.
Obviously she is offended by his robotic approach to "friendship", and breaks up with him, delivering a key like that sets up the rest of the film: "You will probably be a very successful computer person. But if girls hate you, don't think it's because you're a nerd. It'll be because you're an asshole."

In an intoxicated, vengeful rage, Zuckerberg launches a site that allows people to rate girls based on their looks. Immediately he appeals to young mens' tendencies to objectify women, and makes it easy and even fun for them to do so. And breaking up with a girl was all it took to change the history of friendship.

The Social Network is a depressing revelation of the state our society is in, and the way we relate to each other in the informal, impersonal way that is the internet and texting. (When offered a chance to make friends who row crew, he instead took their idea and texted them to keep them in the dark long enough for him to pull ahead and make the idea his own.)

But it is a good film. It is entertaining (thank you, Justin Timberlake), it is witty, well-written, and it feels appropriate to each of the realms into which it delves: modern campus life (not the National Lampoon caricature), modern court cases, and facebook. It's a timeless film that uses the mold of our generation's norms to tell a harsh story that has always been true.
JulverDec 15, 2010
The Social Network is a masterpiece, it's the Citizen Kane of 2st century. The film has dialogues so intelligent and deep, actors are perfect in their roles. Perfect Direction, Screenplay, Cinematography and Edition.
BathtubTomFeb 23, 2011
David Fincher in my mind, is a genius. I just watched a couple nerds hit buttons on computer and i was spellbound. This is one hell of an emotionally gripping picture and all though i thought the acting fell a little flat at moment IDavid Fincher in my mind, is a genius. I just watched a couple nerds hit buttons on computer and i was spellbound. This is one hell of an emotionally gripping picture and all though i thought the acting fell a little flat at moment I thoroughly enjoyed it. Expand