Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: January 10, 2020
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 84 Ratings
Watch Now
ChrisMizerakJan 13, 2020
I don't know if it's because the first two films I saw in 2020 were so terrible or if I didn't have high expectations going in, but the new horror adventure "Underwater" was definitely better than I thought it would be. It's not that good perI don't know if it's because the first two films I saw in 2020 were so terrible or if I didn't have high expectations going in, but the new horror adventure "Underwater" was definitely better than I thought it would be. It's not that good per se so much as it is a perfect film for rental. Considering its strengths and weaknesses result in a middling experience, I think a one-time rental is the ideal way "Underwater" should be viewed.

It's pretty much exactly what you expect it to be: an "Alien" clone that takes place deep into the depths of the ocean as opposed to outer space. It tells the basics of the story okay at least, although the film itself is far from consistent as executed. On one hand, it wastes no time getting straight to the action. However, one can certainly argue that it comes at a cost though.

That said cost being properly introducing and/or setting up characters before they're thrust into the action. Whatever attempts at character development there are later on the film are thrown in rather randomly, distractingly so I might add. It's as if they forgot about that aspect at a certain point in writing the script and just added it on before they ran out of time. That results in the scenes where we learn more about the characters coming across as awkward, disingenuous and unfinished.

T.J. Miller at the very least is trying to break the gloomy and serious mood with some comic relief, to middling effect. Not bad and still appreciated, but not that necessary in hindsight. I guess that Kristen Stewart is alright as our main lead. She gets across what she needs to, even if there's not much meat to her role. I can't say that there were any other standouts in the rest of the cast, so I won't.

For the first two-thirds of the picture, "Underwater" is a watchable time-killer that does what you want it to fulfill. There were actually a few effective jump scares that took place back to back as the characters were talking and analyzing what's taking place and then the scares come right then and there. It's certainly a more effective approach as opposed to complete silence that obviously translates to the inevitable scare.

By the time we get to the last third, however, not only does it start to get jumbled and clunky in its storytelling and filmmaking, but it loses gas real fast due to the outcomes being outlined a mile away. In spite of a significant lack of consistency in its craftsmanship, "Underwater" is a passable venture under the sea that does what it sets out to do and not much more than that. Rent it once just to fulfill a film connoisseur's equivalent to fast food and the ultimate purpose of "Underwater" is realized.
ChrisM1979Jan 20, 2020
Honestly nothing really new about this film other than the location it was set. But I felt is was reasonably well done. If you are in the mood for a movie it was not GREAT! but not bad either. Just okay.
VancomycinJan 12, 2020
I myself, like you, also left the theater with several unanswered questions.
GinaKJan 10, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A decent January movie with fairly good (and at least two very good) actors, and with a better director, film editor, and set design, this movie could have been more entertaining. The sea “monsters” were perhaps the most disappointing of all – looking more like large slugs than anything else. Because the pacing was fairly good, the movie held my attention, and I cared about some of the characters. Sadly, what the movie lacked was a feeling of real claustrophobia, tension, and menace. Expand
mrc_brnJan 19, 2020
Enjoyable enough, but flawed monster movie. Particularly enjoyed the creativity that went into the monster design(s). The acting too was good and the underwater darkness made for a great atmosphere. That said, I had several grievances (in noEnjoyable enough, but flawed monster movie. Particularly enjoyed the creativity that went into the monster design(s). The acting too was good and the underwater darkness made for a great atmosphere. That said, I had several grievances (in no particular order):
1. It was hard to follow the dialogue on account of them speaking while in diving gear and the constant noises presumably coming from the collapsing surroundings.
2. The darkness in combination with the choppy editing of some of the action sequences made it hard to follow what the hell was going on at times.
3. The monsters behaved very irrationally, sometimes super aggressive, sometimes very skittish. Pick one and stay consistent.

All in all there's worse ways to spend a couple of hours, especially if you have a weakness for monster movies, like I do.
JLuis_001Jan 18, 2020
The proposal isn't really new but lent itself to something more stimulating and not so conventional, therefore the story cannot exploit its cast properly and fails to be more enveloping.

I liked the tone and the atmosphere it's okay but the

I liked the tone and the atmosphere it's okay but the film replaces a suspense that could continue to be thunderous but subtle with an accelerated pace of action that avoids all kinds of dramatic depth.

It offers entertainment and that after all is its offer but how entertaining it is will really end up depending on each viewer.
For my part it was just a pretty regular movie.
Mauro_LanariFeb 9, 2020
(Mauro Lanari)
(Mauro Lanari)
If one stays on the surface, it's a such superficial film that it would deserve a specific Oscar for the most extreme derivativity, but if one also analyzes its deeper aspect regardless of the intentions of director Eubank, then the historically unprecedented pressure, the monstrous problems encountered at an abysmal level, the implosive events ("horror pleni") are remarkable resonances of what today's art, culture and civilization are forced to face.
fiftywordreviewJan 30, 2020
Underwater makes up for its derivative plot with satisfying action and impressive visuals, along with a charismatic performance from Kristen Stewart. Though the film is little more than a generic sci-fi thriller, fans of the genre could doUnderwater makes up for its derivative plot with satisfying action and impressive visuals, along with a charismatic performance from Kristen Stewart. Though the film is little more than a generic sci-fi thriller, fans of the genre could do much worse. Go in with reasonable expectations and enjoy the ride. Expand