FOX | Release Date: September 5, 1992
9.7
Universal acclaim based on 55 Ratings
Review this TV Series
Kai82Jan 21, 2020
Maybe the best animated series of all times and the definite series for Batman. Its impact and legacy is still felt today. They created Harley Quinn and made her a tragic and genuine character. They also created Renee Montoya and the villainMaybe the best animated series of all times and the definite series for Batman. Its impact and legacy is still felt today. They created Harley Quinn and made her a tragic and genuine character. They also created Renee Montoya and the villain Lock Up. They gave Mr. Freeze who was a laughing stock villain a backstory that was so touching, tragic and good that no one even tried to change it until today. They had Kevin Conroy as voice actor for Batman and Mark Hamill (Yes that one) for the Joker. Both became the definite voice actors and are considered the Dreamteam. If a voice actor for Batman or the Joker was needed these two where always the top choices. They perfected the formula for a Batman series. They created a dark matured setting with unforgettable story lines, characters and lot of impact, emotions and immersion. There is even the critique that some episodes made you feel to much. All main and many side characters had depth and understandable motivations. Whats even more amazing they didn't shy away from matured themes like the abusive relation between Harley Quinn and the Joker, had stories with sad but fitting endings, show the dark sides of Gotham City and gave all the characters believable flaws. Then there is the style and soundtrack that go hand in hand. Just watch the Intro (Available on YouTube). They didn't even need the word Batman in it and still everyone knows who that was. In combination with some of the best scores for an animated series they create an unmatched atmosphere. I give you my recommendation for must see episodes (Only descriptions / No spoilers). There should be a huge overlap with Top 10 episode list of many people. “Hearth of Ice”; This episode tells the tragic backstory of Mr. Freeze, won a Daytime Emmy and is considered as best episode. It gave Mr. Freeze depth, character and sympathy. If you don't have tears in your eyes at the end of the episode you have no empathy in you. “Over the Edge”; Batman is hunted by Commissioner Gordon and the police with a fury and determination that would make even an angel flee in terror. He will get Batman and wont stop at nothing. I cant spoil but will say it is the most intense episode of the show. Trial”; The inmates of Arkham Asylum took over and captured Batman. They want the new district attorney who sees Batman as danger to hold a trial against Batman inside the Asylum because they say Batman is the cause for everyone's turn to crime. This is also a discussion topic many fans had. “Mad Love” Harley Quinns backstory. This gives you lot of insights in her tragedy and make you feel sad for her. Character building at is finest. “Birds of a feather”. Penguin wants to start a new life without crime while Batman watches him with suspiciousness, believing it is a trick. Cant spoil but is as amazing as tragic. “Growing Pains”; Be warned: This is the episode that is so sad that I could never watch it again. An masterpiece for creating so much emotions (Will not be on many top lists). “Almost got him”; Poker night for the super villains. They discuss who got closest to kill Batman. Mix of stories with a big twist. “Old Wounds”; Shows why Batman needs a Robin more than anything. I must mentioned that this can be viewed as 2 series. There is Batman the Animated Series and The new Batman Adventures (Network was switched). It can be counted as 1 series or 2. Most people say it is 1 series. In my country it was broadcast as 1 series (Or I did not pay much intention). Overall this is still the best batman show and the standard all new incarnation will be judged against. It is as impressing today as it was in my youth. Expand
kyle20ellisMar 17, 2022
I loved every minute of this superb animated series, and I am not afraid to say that out of all the animated shows based on the character, this series is without doubt the best of the lot. The animation was fantastic, no better way toI loved every minute of this superb animated series, and I am not afraid to say that out of all the animated shows based on the character, this series is without doubt the best of the lot. The animation was fantastic, no better way to describe it really, very dark and fluid instead of the Saturday- morning-cartoon standard that has marred animation recently. The theme tune by Danny Elfman was haunting and memorable, the same Danny Elfman who composed the music for Edward Scissorhands, which coincidentally is one of my all-time favourite movie scores. Also the plot lines and teleplays are very interesting, and I loved the characters, especially Batman, who was dark, brooding and complex like he is supposed to be. And what about the villains? Harvey Two Face, Mr Freeze, the scarecrow, Penguin, and my favourite the joker, who Mark Hamill voiced superlatively, making him sinister and fun at the same time. Though I was wondering, if the producers hadn't replaced their 1st choice for the character Tim Curry, he would've done just as well. I happily award Batman: The Animated Series a 10/10. Bethany Cox Expand
GabrielPazJul 18, 2020
desenho mais incrivel q eu ja vi, despeerta a curiosidade sobre o personagem
Cementer200Sep 22, 2020
I really love Batman The Animated Series. this TV Show is the best adoption of Batman. if you're a DC fan you need to watch this show.
lalalalaalSep 2, 2020
Great show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mathbidao17Nov 12, 2020
Espetacular!!! Nunca vi uma série de quadrinhos tão bem feita. Deixa nostalgia em mim.
RaimiStan13Jan 8, 2021
Let’s start at a stupidly simple level- what senses do you use when you are watching a tv show? Sight and sound. If a show doesn’t look good or sound good, it isn’t good. Visually, Batman: The Animated Series has a gorgeous art style inspiredLet’s start at a stupidly simple level- what senses do you use when you are watching a tv show? Sight and sound. If a show doesn’t look good or sound good, it isn’t good. Visually, Batman: The Animated Series has a gorgeous art style inspired by the dark, noir setting in Citizen Kane. The entire show was illustrated by light colors drawn on black paper. Audibly, the series is astounding. The sounds you hear while watching these fabulously illustrated cartoons are truly amazing. There is no wonder why the show had earned 8 Emmy nominations (12 total) and won 2 Emmys (4 total) just from what the audience hears when you listen to the music from episodes such as: Beware the Gray Ghost, On Leather Wings, Almost Got Im’, Nothing to Fear, Shadow of the Bat... I could keep going on and on about all of the amazing music from the series nearly all composed by the great Shirley Walker (some by Danny Elfman, ex: the main theme) but I’m only allowed to put 5000 characters in this review. The other thing you hear in the show is also the voice actors. The series has such a talented cast of voice actors consisting of talents such as Kevin Conroy(Batman), Mark Hamil(The Joker), Bob Hastings(Comissioner Gordon), and Loren Lester(Robin). Many fans of the series mention that the unsung hero of the series is the voice casting director: Andrea Romano. Many believe she did amazing work as the series’ voice casting director. She had a method of recording the voice lines, where she made all of the cast for the episode go in the same room to record their lines so their lines would bounce off of each other easier. But of course there is more to the show than the music, voice acting and artstyle.

The storytelling

Like the best superhero/supervillain stories, the best stories in the series explore the most human side of the characters rather than the least human. The series also has many different adult themes for a show that was originally for kids, like drug addiction, death of a loved one, finding meaning, and more. Going back to the Emmys, the show had won the award for “Outstanding Writing in an Animated Program” in 1993 for the outstanding episode “Robin’s Reckoning”(my personal favorite episode). It explains Robin’s heart wrenching origin.... that’s all I’m gonna say. You HAVE TO watch it for yourself. This show has so many amazing stories (many of which by Paul Dini) that redefined many characters for the better.

For example: Mr. Freeze was redefined by the new origin that was made in the series in the episode titled: “A Heart of Ice”. Before the show, he was a villain who was widely unknown, and those who knew who him thought of him as some nut in a purple costume who liked the cold very much. The “A Heart of Ice” origin has become the definite origin of the character, being used as his origin to this day.
Another character that was forever changed due to what Batman: The Animated Series was Clayface. At first sight he sound like just another dumb superhero villain with the name Clayface: Ok he’s made out of Clay. What else is there? Sounds stupid right? Would you be surprised if I told you in his origin episode: “Feat of Clay” goes over the intense topics such as drug addiction and finding one’s identity? Now remind yourself that this is a kids show(how?!).Anyways, the episode: “Feat of Clay” is another must watch tragic backstory to character who used to be an unknown villain in Batman’s Rogues Gallery. The show even added Harley Quinn, Officer Montoya and Lock Up as new characters.

There are so many genius stories in the show that I tried narrowing down the series to the best 20 episodes you can’t go without watching(of the 85), but it has so many genius stories that it’s nearly impossible to. I’d recommend you watch every single episode of the series(20 minute episodes)because every episode is at the very least entertaining, but if you are short on time, then here are the episodes you can’t go without watching:

Robin’s Reckoning,Beware the Grey Ghost,Perchance to Dream,Two Face,Heart of Ice,The Man Who Killed Batman,His Silicon Soul(watch “Heart of Steel” first),Feat of Clay,Birds of a Feather, Almost Got im’,I Am The Night,Joker’s Favor,It’s Never Too Late,If you’re so smart why aren’t you rich?,Trial,P.O.V.,Laughing fish,Dreams In Darkness,Second chance,A Bullet for Bullock,Terror in the sky,On Leather Wings,The Demons Quest,Baby doll,The Forgotten and House & Garden(also “Batman: Mask of The Phantasm” is definitely worth watching. It’s my favorite Batman Movie).

These episodes are all great stories with lessons to be learned and shared from them. This series was truly a masterpiece, a “lightning in a bottle” moment that will probably never be captured ever again. All that you see, hear, and feel while watching this perfect series has set an unattainable standard for not just all Batman shows, but all superhero shows to meet.
dado01102008Jan 30, 2021
This is in my opinion the best show ever made. This is the best batman on screen by far. I love this show and it is a big reason why i love batman
Amirhosein2005May 13, 2021
It is one of the deepest and most inherent animations in history, which works even better than Batman comics! If so, then it must be described as a real success!
DarkwingSchmuckMar 3, 2022
The best adaptation of the Caped Crusader ever put on either the small or large screen. Be it animation, writing, casting, score, tone, characterization, etc., Batman: The Animated Series hits every note masterfully.
Food4me247May 19, 2022
Quintessential Batman. Dark, well written, actual villain charecter development.