• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 19, 2017
Season #: 2, 1
8.3

1. Jul 23, 2019
    The first season of Big Little Lies is one of the best first seasons of a show I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. With an all-start cast at the peak of their game, a score brimming with emotion, and direction and cinematography that spills out of the screen, it was with little surprise that I binged the entire first season in one sitting. Its smart, powerful, and one of the bestThe first season of Big Little Lies is one of the best first seasons of a show I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. With an all-start cast at the peak of their game, a score brimming with emotion, and direction and cinematography that spills out of the screen, it was with little surprise that I binged the entire first season in one sitting. Its smart, powerful, and one of the best shows I have ever watched, hands down. Expand
  2. Nov 26, 2018
    The best mini series I have ever watched and I am very happy they decided to change it into a whole show with more than one season. The writing and storyline is spectacular. It was funny but very dramatic. The cast all have stupendous performances especially Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley, Adam Scott, Alexander Skarsgård, and Zoë Kravitz.
  3. Apr 15, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. START OVER USING SAME CAST WITH A DIFFERENT SCRIPT
    Let me preface my review by saying I'm an avid reader and fairly critical of books made into movies. I understand that minor changes are sometimes needed to make the transition to screen. However, my # 1 pet peeve is major plot changes. If someone liked the book enough to license the movie then stay true to the plot of the book and keep the essence of the characters. Otherwise, write your own story! Big Little Lies was a fairly good read. I don't think anything about the characters or plot needed to be tweaked or changed. This book was quite literally made for TV.

The positives
    *Well cast show- Reese Witherspoon was the perfect Madeline!
    * The location change from Australia to California actually worked and made no appreciable difference to the plot.

Negatives that caused me to feel less enthusiastic about the show each week.
    *The editing was distracting. For example, Jane is talking one minute and then all of a sudden she'd be screaming on the cliff. Other flashbacks seem totally misplaced.
    *The music in and of itself was good, but my goodness it served as a distraction. Who demanded that their playlist serve as the background music? This criticism is coming from a 45 yr old woman by the way. We all know that these characters would not have had most of that music on their playlists...lol.
    *I didn't feel like Jane's back story or story came across well. The show lost the nuance portrayed in book.
    *There was no need to make Madeline have an affair. This plot was a major distraction especially discussing the affair with a teenage daughter.
    *Totally missed the mark with Nathan's character (compared to book). The book provided more nuance with this character that could have been captured on screen. Nathan was just a jerk in the mini-series.
    *In the book Renata and her husband had a juicy story with an actual affair. I was disappointed that Renata's story wasn't developed a little bit more. The show could have spent less time on the talent show and Madeline crying over an affair that didn't even happen in the book and used those minutes to develop the character's stories from the book that were actually interesting.
    *The ending was a huge let-down! Did not do the book justice AT ALL. Hollywood it's ok to end a TV show on an amibigous note rather than a happy one. Why no dialogue to explain why Bonnie push Perry.

I originally started with a rating of 2, but the actors work good so I bumped the score to a 4.
  4. Feb 20, 2017
    'Big Little Lies' knows how to create mystery and keep us hooked on such interesting characters. The ladies steal the show and dominate with grace, behaving like the camera is their passerelle. This is one of those examples of how to provoke the audience revealing just the necessary amount of information and make us wanting for more.
  5. Apr 3, 2017
    I look forward to seeing this show every week. Really surprised this show did not get better reviews. Laura Dern, Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman all put forth great performances. Not a fan of David Kelly, but here the writing is very well thought-out. A great mystery wrapped around a fluid story line and good performances.
  6. Apr 5, 2017
    I'm awestruck with just how perfect this show is. The cast, the acting, the writing, the filming, you name it, it's as good as it gets. We come to know and understand each adult character so well at a flawless pace that they seem far more real than fiction. I haven't been this sad that a mini-series ended since Band of Brothers.
  7. Mar 5, 2017
    This is my current television-crack addiction. With striking and observant direction by Jean-Marc Valle, and even stronger performances by an all star cast, the show keeps you guessing, bitterly laughing, and cringing. Can't wait to see where it goes.
  8. Mar 28, 2017
    It's a pretty decent show, but it's really addictive, with great performances all round that make it look like a small movie, i can find some annoyances in some characters, but the great writing and very good mystery will keep you hooked
  9. Feb 20, 2017
    Great cast, writing and entertainment. Not sure what all of the fuss is about. This is centered around competing moms and made into a murder mystery drama. So many complaints around the weak men and it's not a show for guys; if you're to "masculine" for the show then don't watch it. Simple.
  10. Apr 6, 2017
    I think a score in the 7-8 range is about right. As others have pointed out, the cast is both individually and collectively strong, as are most of the stories that weave together into the central mystery. The implosion of Celeste and Perry Wright’s marriage was as good a depiction of domestic abuse as I have seen, with Nicole Kidman more than earning the praise lavished on her andI think a score in the 7-8 range is about right. As others have pointed out, the cast is both individually and collectively strong, as are most of the stories that weave together into the central mystery. The implosion of Celeste and Perry Wright’s marriage was as good a depiction of domestic abuse as I have seen, with Nicole Kidman more than earning the praise lavished on her and Alexander Skarsgård just as good in a less sympathetic part. Pretty much everyone was strong, in fact, though some of the character development was manipulative of the audience. Laura Dern, for example, had to be absolutely ghastly for most of the series then suddenly become sympathetic, and, though that amazing actress did her best with the reversal, it was a cheap trick. I also feel the series wasted a lot of talent: Santiago Cabrerra had little more to do than rock an ugly haircut and a narratively convenient secret, while Robin Weigert struggled to enliven the tired therapist-as-chorus trope. I’d actually rather see mediocrities in such forgettable roles.

On the plus side, I do like cultural satire, so points for trying. I have no idea how good the satire is because I have no exposure to the 1% of Monterey, but it’s certainly in line with other media portraits. That said, I’d be very surprised if social class is fluid enough to admit a part-time bookkeeper/single mom to intimate friendship with ladies who lunch--or coffee. My neck of the woods hasn’t seen that kind of egalitarianism (or housing for a Jane Chapman in the neighborhood of a Celeste Wright) since the 1980s. But Americans do love to believe we can all be friends no matter what our bank accounts, don’t we?

The retrospective structure of the series was good at the beginning; it certainly kept me watching long enough to invest in the characters. As the series went on, though, I found it less compelling. Solving the various mysteries was fun, but most of the solutions were pretty evident long before the big reveal. The one surprise at the end was, for me, another cheap shot, so narratively under-prepared that it was almost a deus ex machina.

But the best example of all-over-the-place quality was the music. On one hand, what a lot of wonderful songs there were, starting with Michael Kiwanuka’s “Cold Little Heart.” Sometimes a little heavy-handed with a message (“Mama, I’m depending on you to tell me the truth”), the songs were nonetheless powerful. But the gimmick of little Chloe and her “curated” iPod was just silly, changing that poor child’s role into caricature. And I really didn’t enjoy the actors’ Elvising at all. Here we are, moments away from the event that has animated the entire series, and we have to listen to karaoke--good karaoke, to be sure, with backup singers and everything, but karaoke nonetheless. Portentous filler--though, to be fair, had I been a bit less sure what was going to happen, I might have minded less.

All in all, a series worth watching, even if you’re not that interested in the foibles of wealthy west-coast parents. HBO has done a lot better, of course, but they’ve also done worse, especially lately. At least BIG LITTLE LIES is trying.
  11. Apr 4, 2017
    Big little lies keep us on the edge of our sit with its mystery. They don´t gave us the assassin or the death, just how this should be. Every character has someone to kill and that´s what it makes it so exciting. With brilliant performances (specially Reese Witherspoon) this series is addictive and funny. I really recommend this tv show. The finale is the best in recent tv
  12. Apr 5, 2017
    Show may seem like just a chick flick, and it is, however a chick flick that's also just a damn good show. From the ridiculous, superficial, clicky, mom drama to the more real world serious issues that occur, this show really get's you hooked in from the start. The acting was awesome and even though you can find each character a little faulty, they enhance what occurs in the show. TheShow may seem like just a chick flick, and it is, however a chick flick that's also just a damn good show. From the ridiculous, superficial, clicky, mom drama to the more real world serious issues that occur, this show really get's you hooked in from the start. The acting was awesome and even though you can find each character a little faulty, they enhance what occurs in the show. The setting and the music I would also say are unique characters themselves. Although I would hope to see a second season, I would be surprised if continuing wouldn't tarnish the ending and story that were given. Expand
  13. Feb 21, 2017
    Absolutely love love this show!! So well directed by Jean-Marc Vallee! Another WINNER from him!!! EXCEPTIONAL acting by a first rate cast - Nicole Kidman is hauntingly awesome and Reese is at her peak. Love the guys and kids too - AMAZING... and I'm enjoying every single moment! There is something for EVERYONE in this series!! WOW - SUPER SATISFYING! BEAUTIFUL TO WATCH. SO MANY EMOTIONSAbsolutely love love this show!! So well directed by Jean-Marc Vallee! Another WINNER from him!!! EXCEPTIONAL acting by a first rate cast - Nicole Kidman is hauntingly awesome and Reese is at her peak. Love the guys and kids too - AMAZING... and I'm enjoying every single moment! There is something for EVERYONE in this series!! WOW - SUPER SATISFYING! BEAUTIFUL TO WATCH. SO MANY EMOTIONS STIRRED. THANK YOU! Expand
  14. May 5, 2017
    I guessed the twist reveal of the last few minutes of the last episode, in the third or fourth episode. Very obvious passe story. The story is about 3 sets of insanely wealthy parents living in mega-homes who for unknown reasons send their kids to public school, plus one single mom who lives in a normal home. Honestly the immense wealth displayed is a distraction and makes one scratchI guessed the twist reveal of the last few minutes of the last episode, in the third or fourth episode. Very obvious passe story. The story is about 3 sets of insanely wealthy parents living in mega-homes who for unknown reasons send their kids to public school, plus one single mom who lives in a normal home. Honestly the immense wealth displayed is a distraction and makes one scratch one's head. Sure, the public school is good but if you can afford a 25 million dollar home, I think you'd spring for private school for your kid. And for some reason many of the parents can sing like megastar recording artists. They do this at a talent show of sorts in the last episode, and again their crazy talent is distracting and frankly ridiculous. Maybe they should have allowed one to sing like a star, and could have been more realistic with the rest. We learn at the very beginning of the very first episode that someone has been murdered. We don't know who; nor do we know who did it or why until the final episode. But actually it's so obvious who will be killed, that you will guess early on and then dismiss it as too obvious. But you'd be right. However, the exact killer (think True Crime season one) seems random because, I am told, they didn't include the information from the book that reveals the motivation. So, that's a bit of a problem. That said, the acting is great. Expand
  15. Mar 23, 2017
    Gets better and better each episode after an underwhelming pilot. There are issues, like the 3-second cutaways to snarky witnesses that add very little to most episodes. But mostly, it's a showcase for some brilliant acting, particularly from Nicole Kidman.
  16. Jul 19, 2017
    A trama é cativante, as atuações são poderosas e os temas abordados são delicados. Big Little Lies é uma série corajosa. A violência domestica nunca havia sido tão bem pontuada em um programa televisível antes. Além disso é extremamente empolgante acompanhar a vida de personagens que aparentemente são "perfeitas"

A narrativa, entretanto, molda um climax para a série que talvez nunca

A narrativa, entretanto, molda um climax para a série que talvez nunca chegue. O final tem todo o seu problema resolvido em apenas uma cena. Coisa que pode parecer simples demais comparada cm a tensão que a série cria no espectador. Apesar de apenas 7 episódios a trama ainda consegue se arrastar com subtramas desinteressantes que apenas nos afastam do que realmente queremos ver.

Mas a série tem muitos êxitos e o maior dele, sem duvidas é seu elenco maravilhoso. Nicole Kidman, Reeese Witherspoon, shailene woodley, Zoe Kravitz e Laura Dern entregam performances memoráveis e dignas de todos os prêmios possíveis. Kidman possui o arco mais difícil de toda a série, e talvez por isso roube tanto a cena.

Mesmo com problemas visíveis de narrativa, Big Little Lies entrega novidade para a televisão, com uma direção louvável, história cativante e um elenco exemplar a série se consolidou como uma das melhores do ano.
  17. Mar 10, 2017
    So far, this is a compelling book-to-television adaptation. The cast is stellar, and everyone enjoys a good murder mystery. HBO has been delivering nothing but good TV for a while now, and this joins in as one of the better ones. It's a slow burning show, and a little quiet, but I think it definitely deserves a shot as we're only a few episodes in.
  18. Jun 28, 2017
    This was definitely a very good mini-series, with excellent acting by well-known actors, and a story that is well-executed due to the subtlety of many of the characters and themes. This show involves a murder, of which we don't know the victim or the killer until the very end of the series. It also involves several moms and their children, along with their husbands and friends. Don't beThis was definitely a very good mini-series, with excellent acting by well-known actors, and a story that is well-executed due to the subtlety of many of the characters and themes. This show involves a murder, of which we don't know the victim or the killer until the very end of the series. It also involves several moms and their children, along with their husbands and friends. Don't be worried - this show does not have forced character growth or overacting, and it isn't like a normal drama/crime series of that nature.

Nicole Kidman is the standout in her role as Celeste, a retired lawyer who lives with her two young twin boys and her husband, Perry. I won't go into detail, but Perry is an abusive monster, and both Kidman and Skarsgård display excellent acting as she deals with revealing his abuse to a therapist, and him realizing that he is losing his grasp on Celeste. The subtle movements and actions Kidman makes throughout the series help make Celeste seem so real, even if she is mystifying as a character. Reese Witherspoon also turned in an excellent performance as Madeline McKenzie, with her character feeling almost too human at times. In general, the acting in this show was subtle yet very realistic.

The music that played throughout the series was very fitting and foreshadowed events to come, and also was pleasant to the ears. The scenery and location was the stunning coastal town of Monterey, CA, and while the show reeked of affluence, this town still felt like the perfect place for this show to be filmed. The cinematography was also interesting to watch, and the director and editors were able to show many beautiful scenes just by the subtle motions of the camera and/or the actors.

While the story was much better than expected, I feel like everything could've fit a bit better together. While Laura Dern was great as Renata, her character suddenly went from "evil mom with annoying friends who are gossipy" to "sympathetic mother and woman who will defend people who she previous vilified to the entire town". It felt a little forced, but they made the best of what they could do. Also, I think that Bonnie had a few missing moments and disconnections throughout the show that should've been explained better. Even with a few problems, the ending makes this series completely worth watching.

Hot-button topics like feminism and violence and censorship were portrayed and displayed in such a calm, covered, and subtle way that even if you were the biggest opponent of a social cause like feminism, you would still be pleased with the power and bonds that these mothers shared together. This show may not be for everyone, but I think that you would certainly benefit from watching this only 7-episode long mini-series. While some people are saying that the ending may be well-fitting for another season to occur, I strongly believe that the ending was perfect for a one-off mini-series. HBO definitely did a job well-done at turning a concept that could've been as plot-hole-ridden and low-grade as Pretty Little Liars into a meaningful and insightful journey into the lives of mothers and their families in an affluent California seaside town.
  19. Feb 19, 2017
    David Kelley has written some terrific scripts in the past, but this is really weak. Every moment feels clinched and recycled. And the direction is abominable. With a cast full of remarkable actors, almost every moment feels self conscious and artificial. My condolences to the cast and the capable cinematographer.
  20. Feb 20, 2017
    too much mommy BS. Could have been so much better...weak men...cast them aside you have nothing but biachy women. Had to fast forward it got too dull and regular
  21. Feb 25, 2017
    Shallow Story Line, and Shallow Lives. And no 6 year old would have the music taste of a 50 year old man. The murder suspense is a cheap trick to keep the viewer engaged, yet doesn't work for me.
  22. Jan 12, 2018
    A masterpiece, starting from the performances given by Whiterspoon, Kidman, Woodley and the rest of the cast, to the wonderfully-written script. Being one of the best tv series of the decade, "Big Little Lies" shows how fight, strength and WOMEN, together, can change everything.
  23. Dec 3, 2017
    Big Little Lies poderia ser qualquer uma série dramática de mulheres fúteis e isso soa negativo,tendo em vista que muitas séries desse tipo atinjam apenas o interesse de mulheres.Mas BLL é o contrário . Trata diversas temáticas,as atuações são devidamente expressivas,o enredo não peca e te prende facilmente. Não é uma série complexa e você acaba entendendo todos os personagens e suasBig Little Lies poderia ser qualquer uma série dramática de mulheres fúteis e isso soa negativo,tendo em vista que muitas séries desse tipo atinjam apenas o interesse de mulheres.Mas BLL é o contrário . Trata diversas temáticas,as atuações são devidamente expressivas,o enredo não peca e te prende facilmente. Não é uma série complexa e você acaba entendendo todos os personagens e suas personalidades distintas.Você sente a dor,a tristeza e a alegria em cada palavra ou gestos dos personagens. Expand
  24. Sep 7, 2017
    Big Little Lies is great television and its exceptional, star-studded cast makes it all the more enjoyable. Not only do they offer outstanding performances, with Nicole Kidman surpassing her usual standards, but they are also aware exactly where to stop.
  25. Feb 20, 2017
    Note: this is from a guy's PoV. This show is about mommies of young 'uns, so I'm not the target demo. Still, it's so steeped in "momminess" that it can't even qualify as a guilty pleasure. As such, it's just repulsive, for guys, so don't waste your time.
  26. Mar 13, 2017
    Feels a bit like because it has Kidman and Witherspoon in it it has to be good. For me I find it ok, definatley average, certainly not something new, stunning or special. I think its being over-hyped and the PR wagon is making it appear better than it really is.
  27. Mar 3, 2017
    Rich White People Problems. Ocean front mansions. Pettiness. Spoiled precocious kids. Overacting. Overreacting. Nic Kidman doesn't look a day over 30 (thanks to Botox & Juvederm). Keep waiting for Witherspoon, as she's sipping her white wine, to look at the camera and say "Don't you know who I am?!" Keep waiting for Skarsgard to take his shirt off. Kravitz is the "exotic" addition whoRich White People Problems. Ocean front mansions. Pettiness. Spoiled precocious kids. Overacting. Overreacting. Nic Kidman doesn't look a day over 30 (thanks to Botox & Juvederm). Keep waiting for Witherspoon, as she's sipping her white wine, to look at the camera and say "Don't you know who I am?!" Keep waiting for Skarsgard to take his shirt off. Kravitz is the "exotic" addition who sticks out like a sore thumb "Why am I here?" Woodley is the only character that's keeping me watching out of curiosity...not sure I can take much more of this show. Expand
  28. Dec 3, 2017
    It's not often that one gets to see an ensemble of top flight Hollywood actresses including Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shaelene Woodley, and Laura Dern in a TV drama series. What a treat! Add to that some outstanding directing by Jean-Marc Vallee and a compelling story line and you've got a can't miss formula.
  29. Jul 30, 2017
    A BIG mystery surrounding LITTLE kids and their LIES.

SEASON 01: I neither read the book nor I knew the story. So this was a surprise mini-series. As far I've heard, this one was the finest adaptation. The best ever cast and the episodes were well split with each one had a great opening and the ending. The suspense kept me alive till the final episode, final scene. Meanwhile, I made
    A BIG mystery surrounding LITTLE kids and their LIES.

SEASON 01:

I neither read the book nor I knew the story. So this was a surprise mini-series. As far I've heard, this one was the finest adaptation. The best ever cast and the episodes were well split with each one had a great opening and the ending. The suspense kept me alive till the final episode, final scene. Meanwhile, I made some guesses, but most of them did not happen. In my opinion, it should have been a feature film duology. Then it would have been considered one of the best film series, as well as mystery film. And the Oscars, Golden Globes would have poured in. Now it got record 14 Emmy nods and I'm waiting for the result.

Well, it all started as a normal drama about the mothers whose children are in the same school, same class. The real story kick starts when a boy who recently moved into the town with his single mother was accused of bullying a classmate girl. So the mothers gang splits up on that issue, but it seems not much affecting the children, particularly those are involved in the it. As the story progresses and episodes to come, lots of mysteries revealed about those mothers and their personal life, as well as the recent past secrets. But how it all comes to end truck with a sudden and powerful twist.

All the big screen stars foraying into the small screen were the big advantage. That's why I said it should have been a big screen film. Each one had scope for their roles. It was well balanced characters, that makes hard to predict any one direction where the story could head. From the director of 'Dallas Buyers Club' and many awesome flicks. I hope it returns for the second season, which has a very slim chance. From the locations to the musics, I loved it. A perfect mystery-drama. Everyone should see this, even if those are not into the television series. I almost gave it out of out.

9.5/10
  30. Jun 16, 2017
    While the narrative structure of the show is frustrating at times, Big Little Lies shrouds its theme of togetherness and under a murder mystery amicably. The show is gorgeously directed, perfectly acted and ultimately cathartic. A big win for HBO. 7.5/10
  31. Dec 3, 2017
    Big Little Lies offers amazing directing with beautiful cinematography and absolutely top-notch acting from everybody involved. Which is kind of a shame, because these amazing feats are completely dragged down by a really mediocre story that's stretched pretty thin by the end. Overall I really enjoyed the show, but the source material just wasn't on par with the production in my opinion.
  32. Sep 4, 2018
    This show is so exceptionally crafted, sticking very closely to the book, yet straying just far away that it creates an intricate world that seems as different from the book as it is familiar. The elements of comedy are well interwoven into the somber tone of the entire show. Jean-Marc Vallée does a great job, and it doesn’t hurt that the music is wonderful as well.
  33. Jul 25, 2018
    The story of the show is very well written and told in a very well rhythmic, the story flowed. They choosed to first show a big thing that happen later on the show, a murderer, but they never show who is murdered or who killed the person, they don't show until the very ending, wich creates a good tension, while you want to find out what is happening or who may do what to who, that makesThe story of the show is very well written and told in a very well rhythmic, the story flowed. They choosed to first show a big thing that happen later on the show, a murderer, but they never show who is murdered or who killed the person, they don't show until the very ending, wich creates a good tension, while you want to find out what is happening or who may do what to who, that makes you think, knowing the end of some character. During this midway they show some people getting interviewed, and kind of narrating what was happening, some of those worked and some felt really out of place. The movie is divided in a lot of cores, each core is a familly with their own problems and situations, eventually they meet eachother and are friends and helpful with eachother, or have a dark past that make them hate, or just meet and because of some situation they can't do good with eachother, it is a very intense show, it goes all the way up and all the way down in question of self esteem, it is a really strong story. I feel that also are some not necessary things in the story, like it does some things just to have more time, but it isn't that bad. There is also one plot twist that for me was kind of to much coincidence, some dialogues from the interrogation makes you think one think to creates suspense, but in the conclusion that doesn't make any sense and was there just to create tension, but as a lie, like the script tricking us in the bad way.
    The acting in this tv show it is 100% percent outstanding, and when i say 100% i mean it, there isn't one bad thing that i can say about none of them, they all were essential to make this series be so real and good like it is. In a world of outstanders Nicole Kidman can outsandk, i believe that her role was the hardest one among them all, pass the emotions in some scene without saying one word, there are some monologues that she is talking that it is really touching, she helps in making us care about her character in a level that it doesn't happen much in other works, this isn't just her acting, but each speech that she did, each centimeter that she moved i got tense and i feel for her, her interpretation of the situation was on point. Reese Witherspoon did a great job, she was that mother that is always worried about her children and end up doing some not very ethnic things, but she almost always means well, and also have a complicated past that hunts her, she convince as all of that, her character is full of defects but the charismatic acting don't allow her to be a "villain". Shailene Woodley was splendid, she could pass the difficult of being a mother raising a son alone and without much money, and the traumatization by a story that haunts her every day. Laura Dern did a magnificent job, her character was hateful by one side, but in other hand you kind of could understand her side, he did a great job in making clear to us how her character was overloaded with a tough job and extra things, she could look tired and revolted by the situation. Alexander Skarsgård did one of the most hateful and detestable characters that i have seen, the actor did a damn good job, we just hated him, and everytime that he was on screen was terrifying. All the suporting cast was great. The caracters are complex and aren't just one thing, they have layers.
    This show is very important, it does show real problems of real famillies that need to have some attention by everybody. Showing that a wife that is hitted by her husband could try to hide it for x reasons, or that a woman that was violented is still traumatized and need help, need people to talk with. I thinks this is one of the most real tv show that i have watched, it show real relationship in their most varied ways, showing families having troubles in the most varied ways. It does a perfect job in showing like the people that we see that may seems to be perfect or looks like is very happy, could be having hard problems in his personal life and need help. The show use like a thing that we all do almost every day, wich is judging others, we see someone and we think stuff just by what they are appearing at that moment, but in their personal life it could be something totally different.
    I loved the camera work in this show, it was always a walking camera that was showing the point of view of someone, showing the world of the perspective of a determined character. The cinematography was great, it had beautiful shots, a camera that normally was shaking and shaking wich reverberated directely in what was happening in the moment. In some moments did a parallel with the life that we show to the world and who we really are, trying to hide. The montage is flawless, it fits perfectly. A very artistic.
    The delicacy and subtlety with metaphors of situations that happens in our world, since parents fighting, until all women fighting together, wich implies that it is needed to work together to beat the problems.
  34. Jan 4, 2018
    Increíble y asombroso. Este valor no justificado puede ser para todo magnifico y despiadado.
  35. Apr 11, 2019
    Desperate Housewives with a hint of The Slap by the sea. The trials and travails of upper-middle-class women and the importance of good schools. Very well acted even if the feminism is coated a bit too thick in portraying every male character as either psychotic or useless
    The murder mystery element with the recurrent scenes of the neighbour’s police interviews is a nice touch. Some weak plot holes and inexplicable character arcs don't detract too much but can annoy. Single mom with a part-time job can afford Monterrey home? Obvious weaknesses such as that should be corrected pre-production.
  36. Jul 27, 2019
    'Big Little Lies' was so fun to watch, great characters and even better performances.
  37. Apr 9, 2019
    One of the best shows in recent memory in terms of acting and cinematography. I do think that the "reveal" of the mystery was a little too easy to predict and didn't hit me as hard as I would have liked. But this show is so well done that I didn't care. I was enthralled throughout the entire seven episode run. Also, this show has one of the best opening credits sequences ever.
  38. Oct 17, 2019
    Can't wait for next season! I binged it all at once and it's my new favorite HBO show!

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 27, 2017
    Generous to its characters, even those who begin as clichés, the series becomes a reflection on trauma; at its best moments, it makes risky observations, especially about the dynamics of domestic abuse. Even when it doesn’t dig so deep, it’s still full of strong performances, including those by a terrific set of child actors.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Feb 22, 2017
    While a tale of restless discontent in a rich California coastal town offers an intriguing ride, it’s also a deliberate one. Think of it as a Sunday drive, at a leisurely pace that enables the passengers to absorb every detail of the scenery.
  3. Reviewed by: Melanie McFarland
    Feb 21, 2017
    Too bad its uptightness gets in the way of its potential for pleasure--even that of the guilty variety.