• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 11, 2019
4.7

1. Apr 18, 2019
    If you like film of the fast-zombie genre I would reasonably assume you will enjoy Black Summer.
    So, there are the slow-zombie genre (e.g. The Walking Dead TV series) and the fast-zombie genre (e.g. 28 Days Later movie). Black Summer falls within the fast-zombie genre.
    I personally favor the fast-zombie genre so perhaps you might take my 8-rating within that context. Regardless of
    Regardless of anyone's opinion on the plot-type of Black Summer, technically this is a professional quality series and the acting falls within above average professional quality... and, I would suggest some of the acting is excellent. Editing is extremely important to produce a high-quality fast-zombie series and I would rate the editing of Black Summer as excellent.

In regard to the overall narrative and plot, I would warn that if you are an individual who requires explicit, detailed context and clearly defined roles and backgrounds then you will not get that in the first series of Black Summers. I personally do not require explicit detail in narratives so I was fine with this - after all, reality is that life does not give us all the facts in detail. A big part of life is dealing with soft data. But, most people want things to be completely explained in detail and that is understandable within the context of escapist entertainment.

There is one episode that has no dialog in it and I'm sure the average and typical viewer might find that frustrating where as I found it to be the most interesting and intellectually challenging episode involving the most complex characterization.

I almost require that a film work within the context of moral ambiguity in order for me to enjoy it. I felt Black Summer provided that and perhaps is part of my level-8 rating. The primary character develops within that moral ambiguity - right through the zones of thin red/blue/green/gold/etc lines - in what to me was very satisfying. The very last moral decision at the end completes the character development that I found it to be extremely realistic and one that most people never need to make and exists almost entirely within the realm of fiction.

Off topic - but, I know many individuals must wonder how discerning, intelligent people like watching zombie movies. That I cannot explain - but, millions of people enjoy them so you just have to accept that is a reality. My wife loves rom-coms and I see nothing wrong with that. If you do not like fast-zombie movies then you obviously will not want to spend your time watching Black Summer.

There are many zombie genres and if you are interested you can google the subject or go to Wikipedia to get a better understanding.
  2. Apr 11, 2019
    I'm not a big Zombie show guy but I blew through the first couple of episodes of this with ease. Jaime King is doing some fine work in this show. I like all the characters, the diversity of the casting, it's not over written. The deaf character is great, sort of an extra terrifying world to have to live in with this handicap. Good scares and the pacing moves. Very well shot, too! Good for a binge!
  3. Apr 20, 2019
    "Black Summer" begins with an overhead camera shot of people running. It's appropriate because that's what happens over eight episodes. People run, people fight, people die. And that's what I'm here for. I dont need long, draw out dramas where we might see a zombie a week (if we're lucky). I'm looking at you "The Walking Dead". We'll get enough character development along the way. I watch"Black Summer" begins with an overhead camera shot of people running. It's appropriate because that's what happens over eight episodes. People run, people fight, people die. And that's what I'm here for. I dont need long, draw out dramas where we might see a zombie a week (if we're lucky). I'm looking at you "The Walking Dead". We'll get enough character development along the way. I watch zombie shows to see people fight for their lives.

I really hope "Black Summer" gets a season 2. Even Stephen King tweeted an endorsement this week saying "No long, fraught discussions. No endless flashbacks, because there's no back story. No grouchy teens. Dialogue is spare. Much shot with a single handheld camera, very fluid. Showrunners could learn a lot from this."You cant get much better than that.
  4. Apr 22, 2019
    Starts off very strong with a slightly different take on the typical zombie scenario. It's interesting and tense to follow around the characters and the various challenges they encounter. BUT in the last few episodes the show quickly devolves into pretty standard / boring zombie fare, and I found it very frustrating that the show ceased doing anything interesting or clever with the subjectStarts off very strong with a slightly different take on the typical zombie scenario. It's interesting and tense to follow around the characters and the various challenges they encounter. BUT in the last few episodes the show quickly devolves into pretty standard / boring zombie fare, and I found it very frustrating that the show ceased doing anything interesting or clever with the subject matter. Also, the season is short and ends on a big cliffhanger, so the ending was very unsatisfying.

Overall, an okay show to binge on a rainy afternoon, lots of "The Last Of Us" vibes.
  5. May 2, 2019
    I think folks are missing the point. This show is trying to something different by dropping you into the beginnings of a zombie outbreak with characters who are mostly everyday people. I thought it was tense and fantastic. Not perfect but very enjoyable.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Apr 10, 2019
    Nothing is less terrifying than over-familiarity, and that’s only one of the many problems with Netflix’s Black Summer (premiering on April 11), a bleak, dull affair that mistakes camera movement for narrative energy and has about as much life as the walking dead.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Surette
    Apr 5, 2019
    In a sense, Black Summer is The Walking Dead without all the bloated melodrama, kooky villains, and pretentious blabbering.