Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.2

1. Aug 18, 2015
    Bosch does something that many crime, cop, detective shows don't: it remains compelling throughout the season and it doesn't suffer from a trite ending. In fact, Bosch is one of the few shows--along with Justified--where the dialog, story, visual aesthetics, even the opening sequence, set the tone really well. The whole show is realistic in a way that few are. There are no magical crimeBosch does something that many crime, cop, detective shows don't: it remains compelling throughout the season and it doesn't suffer from a trite ending. In fact, Bosch is one of the few shows--along with Justified--where the dialog, story, visual aesthetics, even the opening sequence, set the tone really well. The whole show is realistic in a way that few are. There are no magical crime scene labs, no one has super powers, people rise and fall (and rise again) from grace, and most importantly, it highlights the arcane politicalness of being a Cop in a major city, that is really just trying to not look bad, ever. Can't wait for season 2. Expand
  2. Mar 1, 2015
    Well crafted police drama with solid acting by the whole ensemble. Nice twists and turns with a solid ending.

Well worth the the watch.

The loner which is liked by the rank and file, hated by his boss for the actions which solve the crimes.
  3. Mar 8, 2015
    Slow start, dodgy english and questionable acting by some, but by end of the pilot I was hooked all the way to the end. The suspense was unreal and it was unavoidable to binge watch the series almost in one sitting (although we had to catch a few hours sleep in between). We just had to know what happens next. I never read the books but now I cannot wait to buy them. I hope for anotherSlow start, dodgy english and questionable acting by some, but by end of the pilot I was hooked all the way to the end. The suspense was unreal and it was unavoidable to binge watch the series almost in one sitting (although we had to catch a few hours sleep in between). We just had to know what happens next. I never read the books but now I cannot wait to buy them. I hope for another season...and that it is as good as this was. Expand
  4. Jul 19, 2015
    Really good show. I definitely enjoyed the acting and the way there's a lot of suspense. It was really engrossing. i also liked the book series and this was a good adaption.
  5. Mar 31, 2016
    Police murder/mysteries are a very hard thing to pull off. If the main character is good, then generally the story is bad. If the story is good, then generally the direction is bad. And round and round we go. The bottom line is that there's always something that prevents such shows from becoming true classics of the genre.

With Bosch, everything is brilliant.... The acting, direction,

With Bosch, everything is brilliant.... The acting, direction, storylines, plot twists, characters, music/score.... Except the script, and the variation in tone throughout the series.

The hugely underrated Titus Welliver is truly excellent in the lead role, and heads up a cast who are pretty much all at the top of their game. The problem with the script comes from trying to blend too much source material into one narrative. The show is based on three books about the character of 'Harry' Bosch, and oh how that's abundantly clear. It's not so much what people are saying, but how their characters are seemingly there for either exposition, or to provide motive for Bosch (or the guy he's after). It could have been transferred from book to screen so much better.
    As for the tone, it's something a lot of television series suffer from. Is it a tough procedural police drama? Is it a pseudo-political thriller? Is it a violent tale of two people dealing with a psychological breakdown? Well, it's all those things, and more besides. So you jump from one 'tone' to another, as the narrative requires which, in a movie is fine as the shifts tend to be short and have an emotive/thought provoking response from the viewer.
    In a 10 part TV series, you kind of get used to it 'being' one thing, and are then bashed over the head with 10 minutes of violence, before being transported into Bosch's personal life with his ex-wife and teenage daughter....
    Whilst I appreciate the necessity of this, in terms of how the storyline(s) play out... Again, it could have been done much, much better.

So, overall... Well worth watching. Compelling, thought provoking, well acted, scored, directed etc, etc, etc....
    Just understand that there are some big annoyances with the show, annoyances that with a little tweaking could have been minimised a great deal.
  6. Feb 28, 2015
    Titus Welliver is sterling in his portrayal of Detective Harry Bosch. Really, Welliver alone carries and saves this series and, frankly, makes it worth watching. The Pilot episode is very strong, but the episodes begin to spiral downward thereafter--mainly because of the lame dialogue. But something happens in episode seven--and Bosch corrects its course with unexpectedly better writingTitus Welliver is sterling in his portrayal of Detective Harry Bosch. Really, Welliver alone carries and saves this series and, frankly, makes it worth watching. The Pilot episode is very strong, but the episodes begin to spiral downward thereafter--mainly because of the lame dialogue. But something happens in episode seven--and Bosch corrects its course with unexpectedly better writing and the emergence of Lance Reddick's character. Jason Gedrick is complex and believable as the antagonist throughout. Expand
  7. Jun 25, 2015
    "Bosch" is a gritty LA cop drama that is peopled by misfits, malcontents, and marginally functional characters. Bosch himself is a cop with an attitude and history of working outside the LAPD rules book--which puts him directly in the line of Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood's classic creation who also has to fight bad guys and his local police bureaucracy at the same time. Like Dirty Harry,"Bosch" is a gritty LA cop drama that is peopled by misfits, malcontents, and marginally functional characters. Bosch himself is a cop with an attitude and history of working outside the LAPD rules book--which puts him directly in the line of Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood's classic creation who also has to fight bad guys and his local police bureaucracy at the same time. Like Dirty Harry, Harry Bosch fights the world from his perch on the moral high ground which he occupies with an edgy urgency. The other characters, his ex-wife, current girlfriend, his partner, his immediate boss (a friend), and his departmental higher-ups (all enemies), plus his daughter and the miscellaneous bad guys he tracks down, are all played with hard-bitten and often hilarious panache and a very literate dialogue. All ten episodes are devoted to the same story line that holds onto its structure as the twisting plot plays out one week at a time. And like the best ensemble television shows, the players themselves are all less than A list stars. This one's an absolute winner. Put it on your watch list. Expand
  8. Apr 9, 2016
    I read some of the "critics." Then I read those who retyped the same premise. Then I watch a couple of shows. Yes it is paced, it does not have bad guys with "the voice" of evil nor does it have relentless "one liners." Neither does it display the suddenly solved crimes syndrome of other shows - well it's five minutes to go so next scene wraps it all up. I accept this as a 10 hourI read some of the "critics." Then I read those who retyped the same premise. Then I watch a couple of shows. Yes it is paced, it does not have bad guys with "the voice" of evil nor does it have relentless "one liners." Neither does it display the suddenly solved crimes syndrome of other shows - well it's five minutes to go so next scene wraps it all up. I accept this as a 10 hour movie in 1 hour segments containing many little stories mixed in. Someone at Prime has the correct idea - good writing will lead to people paying to watch. Money well spent by me. Expand
  9. Apr 3, 2016
    Amazon continues to make all the other stations look bad by not limiting the creativity of their programming. Fans of the book series will not be disappointed by Titus Welliver's portrayal of the lead character, and non-fans will still appreciate the wit and grittiness of the show's tone. Supporting cast members all add different blends of humor and personality to the mix, particularly AmyAmazon continues to make all the other stations look bad by not limiting the creativity of their programming. Fans of the book series will not be disappointed by Titus Welliver's portrayal of the lead character, and non-fans will still appreciate the wit and grittiness of the show's tone. Supporting cast members all add different blends of humor and personality to the mix, particularly Amy Aquino as his boss, balancing out Bosch's brooding nature with banter that fills out the in-between moments nicely. The best part is that each season is a case, allowing us to see realistic police work instead of the case-of-the-week format of today's cop shows. Instead of the idea that the case must be resolve in 42 minutes, so informants magically appear and criminals make silly mistakes, they weave carefully paced tales of intrigue not unlike Michael Connelly's books Expand
  10. Mar 1, 2019
    Named after the Dutch painter Bosch and his famous grotesque renaissance paintings, the show seems to me more akin to the eponymous giant German car parts maker: sturdy, no non-sense, reliable and honest.
    It has its glaring weaknesses (Bosch private life is totally cliched and unbelievable for instance, the political intrigue is far too confusing) but its realism in the depiction of police work à-la-Wire, tone, attention to details as well as acting make it strangely far more touching and near to a viewer like me who has never set foot in LA and lives 10,000 miles away than other pretentious cop shows that try too hard to be artistic and/or to be a commentary on society as a whole (I'm looking at you True Detective).
    Very refreshing and satisfying. Watched all first 3 seasons.
  11. Apr 27, 2017
    Like this show a lot. Just a notch or 2 below the exceptional, such as Rectify and Breaking Bad. I definitely have to pay attention to get all the intricacies and I've read all the books they are based on. I enjoy the political intrigue ala The Wire.
  12. May 31, 2018
    Even in the fourth season, Bosch as lost nothing of its attractiveness as a TV show. I love how Titus Welliver portraits the charakter and the rest of the cast is also superb. There are a lot of show filmed in LA, but Bosch captures the atmosphere of the city like no other show currently on TV.
  13. Feb 23, 2015
    Well, daddy needs to knock on the bedroom door late at night, or Mommy needs to be a hooker - that's a surefire way to quickly write a character who is bound to be "complex". Minor spoiler: writers of the show went with latter, correction - author of the Books did. Our hero isn't a wisecracking charm machine, barring that the 'Here's a complex character' cliche checklist (for our maleWell, daddy needs to knock on the bedroom door late at night, or Mommy needs to be a hooker - that's a surefire way to quickly write a character who is bound to be "complex". Minor spoiler: writers of the show went with latter, correction - author of the Books did. Our hero isn't a wisecracking charm machine, barring that the 'Here's a complex character' cliche checklist (for our male lead, played by Titus Welliver with a weird restraint bordering on bland) has a tick next to just about every sentence, Lets see - A high functional alcoholic, problem with authority, total disregard for "procedure", mommy issues i already mentioned and he grew up in foster homes (obviously duh), heck even his name is Harry and no points for guessing how much time he spends with family - sympathize with this character folks, been through a lot this one.
    This series doesn't really do anything exceptionally well, but the good thing is it didn't do anything unforgivable bad either. Every aspect of the show is unremarkable and pretty standard. The acting, the direction, the cinematography, character development - are all nice and wonderfully mediocre.Far cry from excellent or/and poor. What makes it watchable is the plot, adapted from the works of Michael Connelly. The story itself is an above par work of crime/detective fiction.
    I did binge watch it and after the last episode ended my thoughts were - not bad, that was a perfectly average experience. A Friday night i'd call entertaining but would not recall next week, and won't demand from the creators of the show the 8 hours or so i spent watching it.
    You know what - if it's renewed i would check out Season 2 as well, there's just so much content in the books the series has been adapted from, besides there's scope for improving just about every creative aspect of the show.
  14. Feb 16, 2015
    Great pilot episode, but the show goes downhill from there, losing a little bit of its edge and realism with every subsequent episode. By Episode 6, we were tiring of it and hoping the end would come quickly. I think some of the lead characters gave up too!
  15. Feb 21, 2015
    Flat, monotone, bland. Fictionally coming out of a novel probably displayed from another era. The result stretched. Superhero cops otherwise the work horses solving every case having problems with authority often using their own means to get the job done

Dialogue, certain structure, stereotyped cliches using a god dammit amount of swearwords every conversation in bids to appeal to that larger demographic.

Some tedious errors. A cop salary living in a modern Hollywood Hills, hill view. After the media spotlight, enough to get mayors elected, where is CCTV, those smart phones instantly pinged, but why is local enforcement still working this case? Poker profilers consulting sensitive files which walk in and out of the office. Forensic's, never leaving DNA but he came out of an institution and was on file. More but to tirelessly put more comment into wouldn't be worth the effort.

Cereal killers a monument too policing's coffee adverts. Not that breakfast show, but the one were the bodies were found in the morning, otherwise sending to sleep
  16. Mar 7, 2015
    The pilot gives the impression that the producers were going for a feel of the movie "Drive". I was hoping this to turn out to be something like The Killing or Southland mixed with these noir elements, but got more and more disappointed as the show progressed. The quality is somewhere near a good made-for-TV movie but far from what the critics are saying. The final is probably where it hitThe pilot gives the impression that the producers were going for a feel of the movie "Drive". I was hoping this to turn out to be something like The Killing or Southland mixed with these noir elements, but got more and more disappointed as the show progressed. The quality is somewhere near a good made-for-TV movie but far from what the critics are saying. The final is probably where it hit its low. Very predictable especially in the episodes leading up to the final in the second half of the season. Expand
  17. Nov 23, 2015
    You'd be forgiven for thinking Bosch is set in some near-future Los Angeles where Donald Trump is President, and he's followed through with his mass-deportation plans such is the dearth of Latino actors in the show. For the record, 40% of cops employed by LAPD are Hispanic, yet in Bosch's office, they're almost all white or black. In the real world 12% of LAPD are black, though they areYou'd be forgiven for thinking Bosch is set in some near-future Los Angeles where Donald Trump is President, and he's followed through with his mass-deportation plans such is the dearth of Latino actors in the show. For the record, 40% of cops employed by LAPD are Hispanic, yet in Bosch's office, they're almost all white or black. In the real world 12% of LAPD are black, though they are vastly overrepresented in the show. Aside from the glaring and annoying omission of Hispanic actors, the scripts tread the well-worn path of having a well-into-middle-age male lead romantically involved with a woman young enough to be his daughter. Further stretching the viewer's suspension of disbelief, Bosch is depicted living it large in a home high in the hills with a city-view which would cost many millions to own, apparently due to his involvement with a trashcan B movie. All that said, it's fairly entertaining, routine cop drama, and Welliver puts in competent and reliable performances as Bosch. Expand
  18. Feb 3, 2018
    Better than most police shows.

I will have to admit I was a little disappointed with the show. I had heard it was a great story, groundbreaking even. I wouldn’t say it was that good, and because of the hype I probably didn’t like it as much as I might have. Titus Welliver though is a good actor, and he is what does propel the story. He did keep me interested during the slower parts
    Better than most police shows.

Titus Welliver though is a good actor, and he is what does propel the story. He did keep me interested during the slower parts of the story.

There is also a little bit of difference from the normal police procedural. Unlike shows like “Blue Blood” who are families of cops, and have no idea what it is like to not be a cop (because the writers are so far up the “blue line” ass they don’t know reality), this shows cops that are not up for being in the job and that Bosch himself will do the right thing. He doesn’t really pull the “think blue line” too much, and I did appreciate that.

Pros: Good acting overall, some interesting bits in the story.

Cons: Way overhyped. This was what made the negative issues that much larger.

It was good enough I will watch season 2.
  19. Apr 13, 2016
    Bosch, Titus Welliver is one of the reasons I was interested in this show. He is brilliant, I admire his role as one the Argents in Teen Wolf as well. There are so many crime shows out there that it becomes over whelming, but Bosch is the exception. The writers, directors, production, actors etc... have done an excellent job and have me hooked a definite must watch. Looking forward toBosch, Titus Welliver is one of the reasons I was interested in this show. He is brilliant, I admire his role as one the Argents in Teen Wolf as well. There are so many crime shows out there that it becomes over whelming, but Bosch is the exception. The writers, directors, production, actors etc... have done an excellent job and have me hooked a definite must watch. Looking forward to season three. Expand
  20. Mar 14, 2015
    I am not normally a huge fan of police detective shows, but I watched the first episode because I had never seen Titus Welliver as a lead in any show before but liked him in minor roles in other shows. The casting was well done, the show was entertaining and I have watched the entire first season and found it very enjoyable and am looking forward to the second season.
  21. Jun 30, 2015
    Temiz bir polisiye. Aksiyonu çok az olmasına rağmen Titus Welliver abartısız bir oyunculuk ve dengeli bir hareketlilikle yönetmenin yapmak istediği şeye çok uygun oynamış. Başrol oyuncusunu izlemek için izlenilir bir dizi. Yoksa dizinin kendisinin bir yerlere sizi alıp götürdüğü yok...

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Feb 25, 2015
    Bosch’s dialogue is clunky at times, especially in scenes involving Bosch and his superiors. They look like somebody scolding a puppy and are hard to take very seriously. But the story is compelling.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 24, 2015
    It’s a solidly told whodunit with a payoff that’s worth your investment.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd VanDerWerff
    Feb 18, 2015
    A well-done cop show that doesn't reach for too much and mostly accomplishes what it sets out to do is the sort of thing just about anyone can have on in the background.