• Network: USA
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 6, 2020
3.5

1. Feb 13, 2020
    What a letdown! A new show from Sam Esmail, creator of Mr Robot, such high hopes for some good entertainment! And then, maybe halfway through the first episode (this was the pilot?) my wife and I went on to something else.
    What's the problem with the show? 1) a hackneyed script 2) stereotyped characters 3) terrible director. These combine for an unwatchable show.
    I know they didn't start
    I know they didn't start out to make a bad show. Where were the producers? Didn't they see the trainwreck coming? Isn't that what they're paid to do? Now the writers are stuck in that writers' room every week, and it must be so depressing. The actors are stuck with this show for some episodes, and it must be so depressing. Go home at the end of the day, don't tell your friends about the show, hoping they won't watch it. Such a bummer.
    What happened? It would be interesting to know. There's lots to be learned from a complete failure like this, but it takes courage to face the music and figure it out.
    Anyway, good luck to all concerned.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Feb 15, 2020
    There's nobody to love or even like much in Briarpatch. Even Allegra is flat and withdrawn; her insistence on staying to pursue the case is driven by intellect rather than emotion.
  2. Reviewed by: Joel Keller
    Feb 7, 2020
    The world that Andy Greenwald has set up in Briarpatch is one that’s worth visiting, despite the heavy hand on quirk.
  3. Briarpatch is lovely to look at and its story clicks along at an entertaining clip. The trouble is that the second you stop watching it, none of its burrs stick.