• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 16, 2020
5.7

1. Aug 16, 2020
    Amazing start to finish. I assume the downvotes were folks that really wish all of the racism lovecraft had was still 100% instilled in this show.
  2. Aug 16, 2020
    This episode was great best new start to a show I've seen all year. I hope it keeps this up through the season will update if my opinion changes.
  3. Aug 16, 2020
    Great first episode and great character building. It was a suspenseful first episode and I think it will get better from here!
  4. Aug 16, 2020
    Una excelente serie muy atrapante e interesante la recomiendo a todo público
  5. Aug 16, 2020
    Great first episode. Love that the backdrop of 1950's America and racism playing a role in the supernatural horror that's present as well. Refreshing to see black characters that aren't in something with a white savior complex. Can't wait to see where this goes.
  6. Aug 16, 2020
    HBO succeeds in following Wesley Snipes famous sage advice: “Always bet on Black!”
  7. Aug 16, 2020
    Off to a great start so far. Faithful to the book, great casting. Really looking forward to the rest of the season. Ignore the 0/10 ratings, they’re just NPCs sent by extremist YouTubers for political reasons.
  8. Aug 16, 2020
    Talented, Brilliant, Incredible, Amazing, Showstopping, Spectacular, Never The Same, Totally Unique, Completely Not Ever Been Done Before, Unafraid To Reference Or Not Reference, Put It In A Blender, **** On It, Vomit On It, Eat It, Give Birth To It.
  9. Aug 17, 2020
    Vão se fuderr seus racistas de merda que estão dando nota baixa **** your racists who are giving low rating
  10. Aug 17, 2020
    Great Premiere episode... Too many subject matter & genres packed in one!
    Just like "Watchmen" this is a masterpiece again (from HBO)
  11. Oct 18, 2020
    The first episode was good but not great. It's hard to anticipate what path will the series follow, but the violence, monsters, and racial themes seem like a good starting point. Four episodes in, the series' adventure tone collides with the horror drama. The plot is confusing at times but still entertaining.
  12. Aug 18, 2020
    Great Show! The acting is great and the setup for the rest of the season is perfect. It’s like stranger things for adults.
  13. Aug 16, 2020
    I wish I could’ve watched this first episode with people who assumed it was just a Green Book redux.....then that 3rd act hits, YIKES! Solid first episode and an interesting start to the series.
  14. Aug 17, 2020
    Muito bom o episódio de estreia, roteiro e efeitos especiais ótimos, além de retratar sutilmente o horror do racismo naquela época.
  15. Aug 28, 2020
    Don't pay attention to the Trump snowflakes who are offended by the reality of racism depicted in this show. Such a fantastic show that explores many different themes.
  16. Aug 17, 2020
    Waited a long time for some H.p Lovecraft on the Tv screen, the first episodes looks promising from what you could expect for a H.p based show, but are a bit messy around some corners, that they may even out later in the season. im looking forward to this show and hope it hits the peak :D
  17. Aug 27, 2020
    This show is a trip! The acting is amazing and the production value is top notch. Excited to see where it goes every week HBO does it again
  18. Aug 24, 2020
    Probably an 8 but gotta offset the salty people who hate when black people are in their HBO shows
  19. Aug 23, 2020
    Very strong start, promising cast and world-building. Well crafted and poignant.
  20. Aug 23, 2020
    Wow, look at all these racist Lovecraft fans who are upset that a show with Lovecraft in its title is unflinching in its depiction of racism.
  21. Jan 12, 2021
    Just watched first episode, felt great. I will come back when I finished the whole season.
  22. Dec 15, 2020
    TL;DR - Was very hesitant to watch the show after hearing that it would contain forced political agendas and also being completely blind to the book 'Lovecraft Country' written by Matt Ruff, I am still hoping for a complete Lovecraftian Lore based production but this show is definitely a step towards my hopes. Lovecraft Country is that perfect brew that you get once in a while where theTL;DR - Was very hesitant to watch the show after hearing that it would contain forced political agendas and also being completely blind to the book 'Lovecraft Country' written by Matt Ruff, I am still hoping for a complete Lovecraftian Lore based production but this show is definitely a step towards my hopes. Lovecraft Country is that perfect brew that you get once in a while where the sweetness, bitterness, acidity and temperature is in perfect balance only difference is this brew was Magic, Fantasy, Shoggoths, Science Fiction, Romance, Family and War.

The Good
    This is a very satisfying experience, especially since it was my skepticism that kept me on edge going into the first episode. Showrunner Misha Green has done a wonderful job adding a drop of multiple genres into the show finishing up with an infusion of great casting, competent screenplay and great dialogue writing.
    Everytime an episode threw me for a loop I would readjust my expectation so that i would not get caught by another curve ball but every single time Misha Green along with the various names working the episode managed to catch me unawares. I absolutely love that I have no idea about the book and I never read it hence this was a much more enjoyable experience rather than me mentally comparing the show and the book.

The casting was well done, clearly for acting prowess as even the smallest role had some very impactful moments to the show and the characters. Calling any single person for good acting is not fair to the rest of the cast since the main and supporting cast both had amazing screen presence.
    That being said Jurnee, Jonathan, Abbey Lee, Courtney Vance, Wunmi were the people we spent the most time with and they were all fascinating to watch in their portrayals.
    The acting chops of the whole cast is supported by believable dialogue and character interactions between everyone, and even though some character motivations were a bit odd it still does well to show why the characters make the choices they do.

This brings us to the 'Agenda' of the show, I get very disappointed when Any agenda overshadows character motivations in a story, Lovecraft Country and by extension Misha Green manage to keep the message Strong and Clear without eclipsing the story and the characters in it.
    The VFX is pretty decent for a TV show, and in 2020 this is expected but nevertheless was very well done. Cinematography was excellent with shot framing and art direction making staunch allies for the visual aesthetic.

The Bad
    Most of the show manages to keep away from the cliches of dumb decisions but still there are certain character actions and motivations that are contrived and need to happen just so that the plot can move forward, it does not break the narrative but sticks out in the sea of all the good.
    The music was also one of my issues, for the most part being a period piece the music is well done with a mix of songs from the era as well as modern music. But there are some scattered tracks here and there like Rihanna and a few others which are just so illusion breaking that I needed to actively try and get back in the show because 'Bitc* Better Have my money' will boot you right out of the immersion the show does so well.

Lovecraft Country written by Matt Ruff is wonderfully and satisfyingly adapted by Misha Green into one of the most off the rails amalgamations of powerful performances, multiple genres and great storytelling.
  23. Sep 7, 2020
    Loving this show so far! Every episode draws me in. It’s got everything from horror, drama, adventure, romance. It has an awesome soundtrack from modern hits to classic. Every episode I root for the characters and truly feel their struggles for equality and the struggle against evil.
  24. Aug 23, 2020
    Great mixed metaphor. The 50s era racists amd Lovecrafts eldritch horrors... which are worse? It will be interesting to watch this develop, an living a half hour from the openers first monster encounter, I can't wait to see if Purgatory Chasm makes it in ... yes thats a a real place, gorgeous hiking trails. But also made for horror, and just north of Uxbridge and Millville.

Here's to

Here's to hoping this one can go the distance in MAGA America. The cast is wonderful, and its topic matter which is so important.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Robert Daniels
    Oct 5, 2020
    The pacing of the near-hour long installments feature spasms of crawling. Nevertheless, the flirting beauty of the most powerful scenes, the fleeting profoundness of when poetic prose are strewn across lyrical montages, and the authentic, psychological performances by the cast, make Green’s “Lovecraft Country” a woozy, intoxicating genre odyssey.
  2. Aug 24, 2020
    The show’s script is weighed down by historical annotations; characters refer to themselves and others using the nomenclature of the time (Negro, white) instead of the unqualified pronouns—“we,” “us,” “them”—of actual talk. Innuendo, a staple of melodrama, and a mode in which racialized language thrives, is missing. Neither this nor the show’s cartoonish whites—as viral videos have shown, racists turn cartoonish in the light—would be so distracting if they didn’t deprive mesmerizing talents of their room to work. ... In “Lovecraft Country,” there are revelations but seldom awe.
  3. Reviewed by: Aja Romano
    Aug 18, 2020
    The show finds its strongest moments when it layers realism atop metaphorical racism to induce a mounting, increasingly surreal two-fold horror. It’s weaker in terms of connecting those moments back to its overarching plot. But that weakness also feels intentional and refreshing — as if the show is also repudiating the pompous dramatics of its silly cult full of white people trying to something something pure bloodlines, something something sorcery, something something existential cosmic terror.