9.4

Watch Now

Buy on

1. Feb 18, 2017
    'Planet Earth II' is perfection. A masterful display of filmmaking. The best experience of television I had in my entire life. Please 2017, don't take David Attenborough, he should be immortal!
  2. Feb 25, 2017
    Incredible show. Phenomenal nature documentary, the gold standard in nature shooting. It takes a decade of filming and it shows. In every way it is a must watch.
  3. Apr 15, 2017
    Excellent documentary. Not as epic as the first, The one thing I found highly disappointing is the music soundtrack. It feels like I'm watching Ridley Scott's the Gladiator or something in the vein of Bay's Transformers films. Unfitting musical score, otherwise beautiful documentary. Give it a rent.
  4. Jan 28, 2018
    Another masterfully crafted nature documentary from the BBC who, for my money, remain the best in the business. The skill and patience required to capture some of the footage on offer is simply incredible. Plus, it's all narrated by the legend that is David Attenborough!
  5. Apr 24, 2017
    All of the shots and cinematography are absolutely stunning. The quality of film has only gone straight up and through the roof since the first Planet Earth came out on HD-DVD years ago, and current day HDR and 4K resolution really compliment the visuals here unbelievably well. This has been my favorite thing to watch on mute for the last couple months... Yeah. On mute, with some musicAll of the shots and cinematography are absolutely stunning. The quality of film has only gone straight up and through the roof since the first Planet Earth came out on HD-DVD years ago, and current day HDR and 4K resolution really compliment the visuals here unbelievably well. This has been my favorite thing to watch on mute for the last couple months... Yeah. On mute, with some music playing through my stereo... unreal.

To me, the combination of the narration and musical score make it hard to watch the beautiful pictures that I'm seeing; it makes the whole thing feel a bit grandiose, or overly epic. So I watch with an album or two cued up while Planet Earth is on mute. It works for me, the picture is still great, and it's fairly easy to tell what's happening without the narration or over-the-top score.
  6. May 9, 2017
    Beautiful and always is. the people who work on this should be very proud with their work very impressive. A nice addition to an already amazing masterpiece.
  7. Apr 21, 2017
    we really liked it. there was amazing shots. but wasnt as incredible as the first one. it was also kind of short and -1 for too many bird scenes for my taste.
  8. Aug 6, 2017
    The sequel of the 2006 documentary is a much more advanced and technical spectacle -- with just as amazing views of our beloved world. David Attenborough continues to impress and it feels like every scene is very prudent and meaningful, almost metaphorical in some way. It’s a much shorter season though, and it’s not as ”wow” as the previous installment. But it still manages to showThe sequel of the 2006 documentary is a much more advanced and technical spectacle -- with just as amazing views of our beloved world. David Attenborough continues to impress and it feels like every scene is very prudent and meaningful, almost metaphorical in some way. It’s a much shorter season though, and it’s not as ”wow” as the previous installment. But it still manages to show stunning parts of our world -- from a completely new perspective.

Personal rating: 80/100
    Critical rating: 90/100
  9. Aug 1, 2017
    This is a masterpiece of a documentary! a must see for anyone who enjoys this sort of thing. not one second was wasted and the flow of it is just perfect.
  10. May 3, 2019
    Absolutely fascinating view of the amazing planet we live on. I can watch these episodes over and over again. The photography is simply astounding.
  11. Dec 30, 2017
    One of the beautiful things about nature documentaries’ cinematography, is that it’s really the guys out there in the field that are valuable, and their work speaks for itself.

There isn’t any better nature footage that exists in nature documentaries than this. David A as the narrator has always been great. There is still the narrative that humans are destroying the planet and we

David A as the narrator has always been great.

There is still the narrative that humans are destroying the planet and we are all going to die unless governments save us all, crap, but it’s expected, and insignificant compared to the footage.
  12. Dec 10, 2018
    I can't believe humans are able to film these scenes. congratulations, sir Attenborough. you pushed the boundaries. making films with humans is extremely tough, let alone making films with animals !!
  13. Mar 3, 2019
    "Planet Earth II" is a phenomenal display of the earth in all of its glory and bio-diversity. The narration by David Attenborough is crisp, clear and insightful, and paired with the clearest nature shots that exist, this documentary is one of the few documentaries that I would suggest to someone that doesn't "like" documentaries.
  14. Apr 10, 2019
    Perfection. No words needed, but I have to write at least 75 characters in the comments section, so here we go. :) There are no weak episodes.
  15. Dec 9, 2019
    David Attenborough is a wonderful speaker and is known for his work on documentaries like this. He brings such a calming presence to the entire series. The picture quality is a huge step up from the first planet earth.
  16. Mar 3, 2021
    Spectacular show. The people who went out there to capture all this footage deserve a ton of credit. I would have preferred, though, less action film music and more nature sounds. Also it's really nitpicking at this point, but I wish the narration sticked to the metric system instead of switching back and forth between metric and the antiquated imperial.

Universal acclaim - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Ben Travers
    Feb 21, 2017
    Television sports its fair share of important, engaging entertainment. But Planet Earth II might be the only show that checks both boxes for everyone: It’s the revival we want and the revival we need.
    Nearly every frame of it is about strengthening our ability to connect individual experiences with bigger, more universal outlines. It is the rare message that’s both pointed and strikingly understated, which, right now, feels like a balm.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    Feb 17, 2017
    [The cameras'] sophistication and that of their operators are able to capture animals, their behavior and their habitats with an intimacy previously unimaginable, and breathtaking. With all due respect, Planet Earth II leaves its ancestor in the dust. And seas. And mountains. And jungles.