TNT | Release Date: May 17, 2020
Generally favorable reviews based on 37 Ratings
Watch Now
Review this TV Series
truerockMay 18, 2020
The 2020 video series Snowpiercer is of the steampunk genre like the original 2013 movie. So, there is that retrofuturism that seems to be widely appealing - but, the series and the movie have different plots.

I am writing about episode 1

I am writing about episode 1 of season 1.

I found it interesting that animation was used as an introduction to the series. I think we are seeing animation used more frequently to keep projects on budget.

There was some very good acting. I can't list them all - but, I especially enjoyed:
Jennifer Connelly as the "Voice of the Train"
Mickney Sumner a brakeman (later a hostage)
Alison Wright another brakeman
Iddo Goldberg a train engineer?

The train is obviously a metaphor and (to me) an interesting plot device.

The technical aspects of the series are of very good quality. Perhaps the editing was somewhat too fast paced - but, I can understand how there was a lot to cover in the first episode.

I will be watching the second episode.
I anticipate that this will be enjoyable entertainment if you like to think about things.
geometricalMay 20, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having just watched the original Snowpiercer again, then watching the Pilot episode of the TV series, I'm hopeful for what Snowpiercer 2020 will have to offer in the coming season. I really liked the movie, however I believe that there's certainly room for improvement and further exposition of various aspects of the Snowpiercer story.In the movie the main character has little background development, aside from the monologue about his boarding of the train and the events that ensued. What were his motivations, aside from guilt and perhaps atonement? In the show, the first episode alone gives Andre a more solid character development as defacto leader of the resistance with a former love interest and career. In the movie, discussions of balance are had in a mostly pseudo-religious tone, while in the show balance is stressed as a scientific necessity. Andre is given an insider perspective of how the train works, as opposed to an outsider perspective that's given in the movie. Overall, the train in Snowpiercer 2020 seems more futuristic and bright. Not quite as dark/dingy as the movie train, though I think the train car design in the movie was more realistic in terms of how large the interior space could be. Also, the events in the TV show occur nearly 7 years after the train departed vs 17 years, so that could explain why things on the train haven't devolved quite as much. The class system on the train is also different and more stratified in the show, there are 3 classes plus the tail section as opposed to the tail section and everyone else in the movie. This makes more sense, in my opinion, because like in our society the first class passengers would still need the proletariat to make things function. We also get a peek at the locomotive at the end of episode one, and it actually looks like a futuristic train would instead of a cavernous sparkly nebulous black box engine like the one in the movie. I'm not sure why the show is getting so much hate on here, but I'm definitely looking forward to more of Snowpiercer 2020. Expand
DeckzMay 28, 2020
The main issue lies in that we already have been told a story from this world, this exact world, so you have to bury that completely and try and view this with a clear and open mind. with that done, the show is good at retelling details ofThe main issue lies in that we already have been told a story from this world, this exact world, so you have to bury that completely and try and view this with a clear and open mind. with that done, the show is good at retelling details of what this world is. it has great starting points for many characters to rise from. But where my issue lies, is in its predictable parts, i know what dort of plotline they have choses sometimes, and then i the ride becomes a chore. but take away those parts and sometimes the unrealistic dialogue, it has potential. and they are trying something. all in all this is just 2 episodes. we have to wait a bit longer to see if they can live up to the potential, to many write them off as a failure too early. Expand
BulgarianCriticJul 17, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For the most part I really enjoyed the show , it's ''World'' building was also really well done I especially loved when they provided more information about how the society is split how valuable a single piece of a strawberry is , etc . There were also some really great performances and when the time for the revolution came it was all pretty complicated with different sides trying to seize power.The ending also left a lot of questions open and when we saw the other train i got incredibly excited because it represented endless possibility.
Unfortunately there were some parts that made me pretty cringe and were put there just so that they can leave a message. You know the famous joke of Netflix making at least one character gay , etc.Those moments were a total waste of time and didn't add anything to the story except to waste our time and for netflix to whip out it's WE ARE Exclusive cock for everyone to see.There were also some pretty old effects but I understand since the series was probably on a very limited budget. Overall I enjoyed most of it except the pointless uneccessary stuffs that were added and hopefully they second season won't be that full choke with them.
adamchapJul 17, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am usually dismayed at the lack of diverse opinion in modern television but Snowpiercer had me surprised. At the heart of the show is a microcosm of modern life in the form of the last train on earth. Refreshingly there is no -ism or -acy that's left criticized in some way or another, whether technocracies, anarchy, or democracy - and the final episode only seems to point to more clashes of ideals in the next season. I'm sure shows like this will make people think about the kind of revolution they wish to have, and whether it is worth burning everything down to see it happen. I honestly cannot say there's a character I do not empathize in some way, even the more cunning and wicked ones.

I saw one comment suggesting this show had "made things more racial". It's a real shame as this couldn't be further from the truth. There is NO racial element to it. There is just a train with a simple class system, with "The Tail" representing illegal immigrants or refugees. In terms of writing a show for a modern audience I was happy to see that they placed the finale in episode nine and left a whole 'nother episode for a plot-twist to set up the next season. It ended up being more exiting than what I had just seen and in some ways felt like what the first episode of the second season could have opened with.
LightfallerJul 16, 2020
I've finished the whole series. I've have to say it's one of the most immersive shows I've ever watched. I've watched the movie and read about the comics. They all have different stories and I have to say they're all equally interesting.I've finished the whole series. I've have to say it's one of the most immersive shows I've ever watched. I've watched the movie and read about the comics. They all have different stories and I have to say they're all equally interesting. Casting is great. I think Jennifer Connelly plays her role really well. A character you won't like yet understand their actions. The rest of the cast is great. Diggs sometimes deliver his lines that makes it sounds like he's still from 2020, feels like he breaks character sometimes. But most of the time his acting is great.

Pacing is good as well. I've read that Korean TV series are usually just 1 season, being able to tell a full story within 1 season. I'm quite surprised the story wrapped up pretty nicely at the end.
KjekkenfrekkenJul 26, 2020
Though the initial plot of a tale passenger being drafted as a homicide detective is stupid, the story expands on the snowpiercer setting Wich is cool